Source History of Jefferson County 1888 pages 246-247
No 13 and the last on our roll is the church of Punxsutawney, which was organized September 4, 1884. The committee of organization was Revs. J.S. Helm and J.H. Stewart. Seventeen members entered the organization, and that number has now been trebled. There had been a Presbyterian Church in Punxsutawney in 1862, but for some reason unknown to the pastor it was dissolved in 1869. For the present wide-awake and growing congregation, great credit is due Rev. J.S. Helm, who began laboring at that point when he was installed pastor at Perry. He was installed as the first pastor of Punxsutawney Church and continues to sustain that relation. The church has been worshipping in the Baptist sanctuary, but expects to build a house of worship the coming summer of 1887.
Contributed for use by the Jefferson County Genealogy Project http://www.pa-roots.com/jefferson/)
Jefferson County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Jefferson County Church Page
Return to the Jefferson County Genealogy Project
(c) Jefferson County Genealogy Project