Source History of Jefferson County 1888 pages 242-243
The fourth church on our roll is Perry, situated in Perry township, and about five miles north of Punxsutawney. It was organized September 4, 1836, by a committee appointed by the Presbytery of Blairsville. The early records of the church have been lost. A church building was put up at the time of the organization, was superseded in 1879 by a very neat and substantial edifice, of which the people may be justly proud.
The church was incorporated in 1862, and in 1869 a comfortable parsonage, to which belongs several acres of ground, was provided for the pastor.
- For the first four years after its organization, the church was without a pastor, but was stated supplied a part of that time by the Rev. E.D. Barrett.
- In June, 1840, Rev. John Carothers became pastor for half time, serving the church of Gilgal, now in Kittanning Presbytery, the other half. He was released in June, 1854.
- Rev. John McKean was pastor from December, 1856, to September, 1860.
- Reve. H.K. Hennigh was stated supply from the fall of 1861 to the spring of 1864.
- Rev. James Caldwell, pastor from September, 1869, to April, 1877.
- Mr. J.E. Leyda was ordained and installed pastor in November , 1877, and was released in February, 1880.
- Rev. J.S. Helm, the present popular and successful pastor, was installed in October, 1883, and is accomplishing in the united charge of Perry and Punxsutawney a most excellent work. How could he be spared from that charge?
Contributed for use by the Jefferson County Genealogy Project http://www.pa-roots.com/jefferson/)
Jefferson County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Jefferson County Church Page
Return to the Jefferson County Genealogy Project
(c) Jefferson County Genealogy Project