Source History of Jefferson County 1888 page 244
Mount Pleasant (Knoxdale post office) is the seventh organization effected. The services connected therewith were held by Revs. C.P. Cummins and John McKean, in the barn of Mr. D.S. Chitister, May 16, 1857. Twelve members constituted the original organization, and it has now a membership of twenty-eight. The church has had its trials. So many of its prominent members have removed from time to time to other places, and others have been called away by death. Considerable difficulty was experienced in securing a suitable sanctuary. In 1862 the lot and little log church belonging to the Evangelical body were purchased, but this was a very inadequate building; so in 1867 an attempt was made to build a new church, but failed through the failure of the building committee to act. However, in 1869 the effort was renewed, and through the hard labor and persistence of pastor and the little band of people it was successful, and a neat commodious house of worship was completed, at a cost of $2,800.
No regular preaching since that time.
- Rev. John McKean was stated supply until September, 1860;
- Rev. John Wray during parts of 1862 and 1863.
- Rev. T.S. Leason was stated supply from September, 1864, to April, 1883.
- Rev. J.S. Helm was pastor from November, 1883, to April, 1885.
- Mr. A.T. Aller, a student, preached regularly for one-third time during the summer of 1885.
Contributed for use by the Jefferson County Genealogy Project http://www.pa-roots.com/jefferson/)
Jefferson County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Jefferson County Church Page
Return to the Jefferson County Genealogy Project
(c) Jefferson County Genealogy Project