Source History of Jefferson County 1888 page 272
In the year 1850 Rev. G. F. Reeser organized what is known as the Kahletown class. Prior to that there were four Methodists, Jacob Kahle and Nathan Smith with their wives, who had no place to worship. In this year there had been three of the Kahles converted at a place called Hominy Ridge, some six miles distant. The first class was organized at the red school-house, near where the church now stands, with these seven members. About this time James Buzzard and his wife came to what is now Eldred township, and reinforced the small congregation. Mr. Buzzard was an official member until his death a few years ago. Mother Buzzard is the only member of the first class now living. Jacob Kahle was the first leader appointed, and he was also a local preacher for many years.
In 1853 the church was built, Nathan Smith, James Buzzard and the Kahles taking the greater part of the work upon themselves. The class now numbers sixty, and is prospering finely. This charge is located on the Strattanville road, about three miles from Sigel.
Contributed for use by the Jefferson County Genealogy Project http://www.pa-roots.com/jefferson/)
Jefferson County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Jefferson County Church Page
Return to the Jefferson County Genealogy Project
(c) Jefferson County Genealogy Project