Source History of Jefferson County 1888 page 270
Pastors of the Brookville and Luthersburg circuit established a preaching place some time about the year 1835 in the Paradise settlement. The first members of the society were Joseph Syphert, Mary Syphert, John Strouse, Jane Strouse, and Jacob Shaffer. In after years it was attached to the Emerickville circuit. The church at Paradise has been favored with gracious revivals during its history, and perhaps the greatest was under the pastorate of Rev. R. M. Felt.
Mr. Joseph Syphert, one of the founders of the society, has, for over a half-century, been the main pillar of the church; always true and faithful. He has given two daughters to the ministry, wives of Revs. A. H. Bashline and J. P. Hicks. His children, every one of them, are members of the church. Through his enterprise and liberality the chapel was mainly erected. Mr. Syphert, now over seventy years of age, is good and true, and has the esteem and love of all his neighbors. The society sustains the Sabbath-school, and all the affairs of the society are sustained by liberal hands. Paradise is one of the appointments of the Emerickville circuit.
Contributed for use by the Jefferson County Genealogy Project http://www.pa-roots.com/jefferson/)
Jefferson County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Jefferson County Church Page
Return to the Jefferson County Genealogy Project
(c) Jefferson County Genealogy Project