Source History of Jefferson County 1888 pages 270-271
In the year of our Lord 1863 Rev. E. Coons came into the neighborhood of Mr. Rice's, in Knoxdale township, and organized a class according to the usages of the Methodist Episcopal Church, with Sylvester McAninch as leader. The first members were Sarah H. Hunter, Rose McAninch, Margery Rice, J. Donnelly, William Thompson and wife. The regularly appointed pastors of the Brookville M. E. Church preached regularly for years-once in two weeks, Sabbath afternoons - until it was attached to the Emerickville circuit, under the pastorate of Rev. J. H. Laverty. The society has kept up Sabbath-schools during the summer seasons, and have been of helpful benefit to the community in which, for so many years, religious services have been held.
About the year 1867 a gracious revival was realized, and some twenty-five accessions were made to the church. The appointment is now known as the McAninch school-house. The McAninch appointment is a part of the Emerickville circuit.
Contributed for use by the Jefferson County Genealogy Project http://www.pa-roots.com/jefferson/)
Jefferson County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Jefferson County Church Page
Return to the Jefferson County Genealogy Project
(c) Jefferson County Genealogy Project