Source History of Jefferson County 1888 pages 271-272
Hopewell congregation on the Ringgold charge was organized in 1839 by Revs. R. Peck, and M. Heinebaugh. The class consisted of Daniel Swisher, Elijah Swisher, Lizzie Swisher, Adam Dehaven, C. Dehaven, Joseph Elder, Elizabeth Martin, Henry Palmer, and Barbara Palmer. Daniel Swisher was the first class-leader. The first church was built in 4840, and was a commodious log structure, 32 by 28, and in 1870 the present church was erected during the pastorate of Rev. MeVey Troy, and while Rev. 0. L. Mead was presiding elder. This church is now being remodeled with modern improvements. It has a seating capacity of about three hundred and fifty. The present outlook for this church is promising.
Contributed for use by the Jefferson County Genealogy Project http://www.pa-roots.com/jefferson/)
Jefferson County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Jefferson County Church Page
Return to the Jefferson County Genealogy Project
(c) Jefferson County Genealogy Project