Source History of Jefferson County 1888 pages 272-273
Near the place where the Ebenezer Church now stands, there stood in 1854 what was known as the Wallace school-house, and in the spring of that year Rev. James Gilfillan began to hold service. He had two members, Washing-ton Kahle and his wife, who are still members of this church. Mr. Gilfillan held a meeting in the fall of that year, and organized a class of nine members, appointing Brother Kahle leader, which position he has held nearly all the time since. This appointment belonged to what was then known as the Corsica charge; but soon after it was transferred to the Washington charge. In 1863 Rev. George Moore was pastor, and under his administration the Ebenezer Church was built. At that time there were twenty-eight members. Now the membership is fifty with a few of the first members still living. The church is too small for the growing congregation, but preparations are being made to build a more commodious edifice.
What is known as the Zion class was organized in 1853, Moses Hill being the presiding elder, and John T. Boyle preacher in charge. There were twenty-five members, and they first worshipped in a log school -house where the Steele school-house now stands. This house was burned down, and the congregation then built a small house on David Steele's farm, which was used for their meetings until 1860, when the Zion Church was built. David Steele was leader at the time the class was organized, and retained that position for seventeen years, when he entered the ministry, and was appointed to the Clarington charge. Rev. Steele is now a member of the United Brethren denomination, and has held the office of presiding elder.
The Zion Church is situated on the Brookville and Clarington road, three miles north of Brookville. The class of this church is very small, only numbering about twenty. Rev. D. A. Platte is the preacher of the Sigel charge.
Contributed for use by the Jefferson County Genealogy Project http://www.pa-roots.com/jefferson/)
Jefferson County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Jefferson County Church Page
Return to the Jefferson County Genealogy Project
(c) Jefferson County Genealogy Project