Gage, Ora C., Russell p.o., Elk, although not among the old pioneer residents of Elk, yet the position which he has taken among his fellow townsmen, and the efforts he has made for the advancement and well- being of those whom he is surrounded by, places him among its prominent citizens. Mr. Gage was born in New York State, and came to Glade some years ago. His mother married for her third husband Jason Andrus, better known as "squire" Andrus, one of the most prominent men in the eastern part of Pine Grove, which some years ago was taken from Elk. In the Gage family were several children, - Mary Elizabeth, who is now dead; Rev. Joel W., of the United Brethren Church of Sugar Grove; Rev. Orange James, of the United Brethren Church of Finley's Lake; and Ora Calvin, who is by occupation a farmer, yet is a conspicuous and prominent member of the same church society. Ora C. Gage married Jennie Amann, a daughter of Martin Amann, of North Warren, and by her had a family of four children. Their farm property presents as fine appearance as any in the town, and gives evidence of the thrift and energy of its owner. Mr. Gage is still a young man, but prominent in the councils of the township.
Garcelon, P. M., Spring Creek, was born in Androscoggin county, Me., in 1827. He was married in 1851 to Jane Warner, of Tidioute, and settled in Warren county in 1871. His wife died in 1863, leaving two daughters - Charlotte D. and Lillian L. He was married the second time in 1881 to Maranda Garcelon. He had the offices of school director and postmaster from 1871 to 1881. In 1871 he opened with his brother, W. Garcelon, a large general store. W.G. died in 1876. Mr. Garcelon also has a large interest in all farming and lumbering pursuits. His father, who was known as Captain Peter, was born in 1787, served in the War of 1812, and died in 1867. He had a family of thirteen children, five of whom are now living - Golder, Lucy A., Catherine, Dorcas, and P.M.
Gardner, R. Loren, Lander p.o., Farmington, is a farmer and was born in Schoharie county, N.Y., August 14, 1847. He was a son of Henry and Catherine (Ruland) Gardner, who were among the pioneers of Farmington. They for a time resided in Crawford county, and also in Schoharie county, N.Y.; later in life they returned to Farmington, where they resided until the time of their deaths. They owned and occupied the farm on which R. Loren Gardner now resides. They had two children - Diantha and R. Loren. R. Loren's paternal grandfather was David Gardner, a pioneer of Farmington, who in later life removed to Oil Creek, and died there. R. Loren Gardner was married November 21, 1871; to Emma White, a daughter of Orange and Nancy Robbins White, who were early settlers in Farmington. They have had one child born to them - Edith P.
Garfield, Samuel, Youngsville p.o., Brokenstraw, manager and keeper of the Rouse Hospital and Warren county farm; was born in 1851, at Busti, N.Y. He is the son of Joseph and Lucy P., Garfield, and was married in 1876 to Agnes, daughter of Richard E. and Laura Brown, of Farmington. He then removed from Chautauqua county, N.Y., to Farmington, Warren county, and on April 1, 1882, the Warren county commissioners appointed Mr. and Mrs. Garfield as superintendent and matron of Rouse Hospital.
Gautz, Andrew, Warren p.o., Conewango, is a farmer and was born in Alsace, France, on June 3, 1837. He came to America in 1855, and settled in this county, where he worked as a farm hand for several years. He was in the late War of the Rebellion, enlisting in 1863, in Company F, 151st Pennsylvania Vols. He was wounded in the hip at the battle of Gettysburg, and was honorably discharged after ten months' service. After his return he resided in Mead township for four years. He settled on the farm on which he now resides in 1869, which he cleared and improved himself clearing in all in this county about 100 acres. He was a son of Andrew and Mary (Yehl) Gautz. Andrew was married in 1863 to Mary Stringer, daughter of John and Mary (Arnold) Stringer. They have a family of seven children - Celia, Lizzie, Hattie, Frank, Leonora, Samuel, and Charlie. Mr. Gautz is an active member of the G.A.R.
George, Benjamin, Tidioute p.o., Triumph, was born in Columbia county, O., February 17, 1817. He was a son of Thomas and' Sarah (Gansalus) George, who were born in Pennsylvania and died in Ohio. They had a family of nine children born to them, four of whom are now living. Benjamin married Harriet St. John in 1857; she was born in 1832. They had two children born to them - Margaretta (born in 1859) and Benjamin A. (born in 1874). They settled on their present farm in 1857, which Benjamin purchased in company with his brother, Russel St. John, who died, willing his half interest to his sister, Mrs. Harriet George. Harriet was a daughter of Ansel and Margaretta (Woods) St. John, who had a family of ten children born to them, three of whom are now living - Harriet, William, and Fanny. One brother, Samuel St. John, enlisted from Ohio in 1861, and served up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1862. Benjamin George married his first wife, Anne Frasier, in 1841. She died August 29, 1851, leaving a family of three children - Henry B. (born in 1847), Thomas C. (born in 1843), and Sarah (born in 1842). Henry B. was murdered July 25, 1884, at Joliet, Ill. Thomas enlisted in Captain Brown's company (he was a son of the Abolitionist John Brown) and served through the war. He was in the Andersonville prison for eleven months. Mr. George's farm is thought by many to be a rich oil section, not yet developed. He settled in a dense forest in 1857, and now has a large tract of heavy timbered land adjoining his residence.
Gibbs, William, Corydon p.o., was one of the first settlers of Corydon, having immigrated from New Jersey at a very early day. His children were John L., Nancy, who married S.H. Hull, of Warren; Morris, William, Cynthia, who married Benjamin Tome; George, at the time of his death a resident of New Albany, Ind. William Gibbs was a lumberman and farmer, and for many years a justice of the peace of Corydon. S.H. Hull, who married Nancy Gibbs, built the hotel at Warren now known as the Carver House.
Gilson, Rufus P., Barnes p.o., Sheffield, the second child of John Gilson, the early settler in Sheffield, was born on January 15, 1833. He married Martha L. Blanchard, a daughter of Jasper P. Blanchard, formerly of Sheffield. They had a family of five children - Charles, Alma N. (who married Thomas Matthewson), Della (who married George Noblet, of Forest county), Carver, and Cemer T., both of whom live at home.
Gilson, Dr. Willis O., Spring Creek p.o., was born in Crawford county in 1858, and is a son of C. B. and Margurita Moore Gilson. He read medicine at Cleveland, and was graduated from the Western Reserve Medical College of' Cleveland in 1883; he settled in Spring Creek, where he has a large and increasing practice. He is also proprietor of a drug store, opened in 1885. He was appointed postmaster in 1886. He married Jessie J., daughter of Wm. Baker, of Spring Creek, in 1885.
Goodwin, Jacob Ransom, Pittsfield, was born in Brokenstraw November 8, 1816. He was a son of Jacob and Mary Kinnan Goodwin. Mary was born in New Jersey and died in 1858, and Jacob was born in Concord, N. H., in 1770 and died in 1847. He was married in 1792, and settled in Conewango in 1793. They had a family of nine children born to them, three of whom are now living - Hannah, Polly, and Jacob R. Jacob Goodwin, sr., was drafted and served in the War of 1812. He was a millwright by trade. Jacob R. Goodwin. jr., was married in 1851 to Octavia R. Matthews, who was born in Mayfield, Fulton county, N.Y., in 1823. They have had a family of four sons born to them - Edgar, Adelbert, Curtis M. (who was married in 1883 to Arvilla Fancher, by whom he has had two children - Paul and Ruth O.), and Fred D. Octavia was a daughter of Alinas and Catherine (Bovee) Matthews, who came from New York State and settled in Freehold in 1835, where they died, leaving a family of four children.
Gorman, George W., Tidioute p.o., Triumph, was born in Triumph in 1859. His parents were Benjamin and Alvira Clelland Gorman, she born in Chautauqua county, N.Y., and he in Crawford county in 1818; they were married in 1848, and have a family of five children - Nathan, Sarah E., Angeletta A., Mary J., and George W. Benjamin Gorman was a son of Michael and Sarah Gilson Gorman. They had a family of thirteen children, three sons and two daughters of whom survive - Benjamin, Peter, Michael, and the two daughters. They settled in Deerfield township in March, 1819. Michael was born in Pennsylvania. His parents immigrated from Ireland before the Revolution; his son William served in the army during the Revolution, and afterwards settled in Ohio. George W. Gorman married Margaret Lott, of Tidioute, in 1882, and they have a family of three children - Josephine, Clarence, and Gertrude. He was a graduate of Saint Bonaventure College in 1867, and became a civil engineer. He was employed on different railroads, and settled on his present farm in 1882 - the old homestead of his parents. His wife was a daughter of Henry and Charity Lott.
Goudy, Dr. Samuel P., Garland p.o., Pittsfield, a physician and surgeon, was born in Monroe county, O., in 1847. He read medicine in Crawford county with Dr. J.J. McMellen, and graduated from the medical college in 1881, and settled in Garland in the practice of his profession. He was married in 1873 to Jane Robinson, of Albion, Erie county. They have had one child born to them. Dr. Samuel P. Goudy was a son of Isaac and Mary (McMillan) Goudy. He was born in Pennsylvania and Mary his wife was born in Maryland, and died in Ohio in 1863, aged fifty- three years. Isaac died in West Virginia in June, 1878, leaving four sons and one daughter - David, Isaac, Virginia, John, and Dr. Samuel.
Gould, Morgan Lewis, Ackley Station, p.o. Pine Grove, was born in Wayne county, N.Y., in the year 1819, and in the year 1834 came to Pine Grove with the family of his father, Daniel Gould, for whom the extreme northeast part of the town is to this day called "Gould Town," this family being its earliest pioneer. Morgan Gould married Rachel Seekins, daughter of Stephen Seekins, also a pioneer family of the town. Morgan L. Gould was one of a family of eight children, Sons and daughters of Daniel Gould. When the family settled in Gould Town there was no cleared land between their home and Conewango Creek. Mr. Gould is a member of the United Brethren Church.
Graham, Margaret, Garland p.o., Pittsfield, was born in Garland in July, 1810. She was a daughter of George and Isabella (McCormick) Long. George Long was born in Virginia and was a son of Colonel Cookson Long, one of the honored officers of the Revolution. George also served in the Revolutionary War as a private. At the close of the war Colonel Cookson Long returned to Virginia, where he died. His son George settled in Lycoming county, where he was married about 1792, and had a family of ten children, only two of whom are now living - Hugh (born February 2, 1802) and Margaret (born in 1810). George came to Warren county in 1800, where he resided until the time of his death, which occurred in 1854. Mrs. Margaret Graham was married in 1837 to Samuel Graham; he was born in 1805. They had a family of four children born to them, only two of whom are now living. Samue1 Graham died April 13, 1884, after a successful business life. The greater part of his life he was engaged in the lumber business.
Grandin, William J., Tidioute p.o., Glade, was born in Venango in 1838. He was a son of Samuel and Sarah (Henry) Grandin. Samuel was born in New Jersey in 1800. They were married in 1832, and his wife died in 1852, leaving a family of five children, four of whom are now living - John Livingston, E.B., William J., and Maria (who is now the widow of Mr. Neyhart; she has two children - Emma and Adriah). Samuel settled in Tidioute in 1840, where he now resides in the eighty- sixth year of his age. He was a general merchant and lumberman, manufacturer and dealer, and was one of the first men who was interested in the production oil in this section. He retired from active business life in 1860, his sons becoming his successors, when they soon closed the merchandise trade, and he became an independent banker. The sons became bankers, oil producers, refiners, and dealers. They also invested largely in western lands, and have now a farm in Dakota of thirty- eight thousand acres, which is run largely as a grain farm. Messrs. J.L. and E.B. have a grazing farm of twenty- eight thousand acres also situated in Dakota. They are also large land owners in Pennsylvania, and are now residents of Tidioute. William J. Grandin married Mary Breeisholtz, of Ulster county, N.Y., in 1863; she died in 1878, leaving a family of four children - Frank, Charles, Willie, and Mary. He then married his second wife, Annie Merkle, in 1881. They have had one child born to them - Guy.
Gray, Robert M., Sugar Grove, a retired farmer of Sugar Grove, was born in Union City January 8, 1813. He was a son of James and Polly (Miles) Gray, of Huntington county, who settled in Sugar Grove in March, 1823. They had a family of two children - Robert M. and Harriet. James Gray died June 30, 1858, and Polly, his wife, died in December, 1863. James held many of the town and county offices. His parents were from the north of Ireland, and settled in Waterford. Folly was a daughter of Robert and Catherine Miles, who were early settlers in Sugar Grove. Robert M. Gray married Hannah Wells October 4, 1843. She died in 1863, leaving a family of four children - Florence, James M., Harriet, and Hugh F. (who married). Robert M. then married his second wife, Sarah Parratt, May 9, 1869; she died in September, 1882. He then married his third wife, Mrs. Mary A. Vickery, January 16, 1884. She was born in Litchfield, Herkimer county, N.Y.
Gregg, Thomas, Chandler's Valley p.o., Sugar Grove, was born in County Antrim, Ireland, in 1830, son of William and Jane (Davidson) Gregg. William died in Ireland, leaving a widow with six children. The mother with two daughters and the son, Thomas, then nine years old, came to America in 1839. They all had ship fever, and the mother died in a hospital in New York. The three children came to Beaver county, where the sisters, Jane and Margaret, died. A brother, James, came in 1840, via Canada, with his family, and died, leaving four children. Thomas settled in Sugar Grove in 1841, and in 1852 married Salona Gibbs, of Sugar Grove; she died in 1869. In 1870 he married Lena Redell, who was born in Sweden. He purchased his present homestead in July, 1870.
Gregory, Charles H., Youngsville p.o., Brokenstraw, owner and proprietor of the Fairmount House at Youngsville, was born at Oxford, Chenango county, N.Y., in 1834. He was a son of Asa and Arena (Spencer) Gregory, who settled in Farmington in 1839, where Asa died in 1855, aged fifty- six years. They had a family of twelve children. Those now living are Ezra, Lavina, Uretta, Betsa A., and Charles H. Charles H. Gregory was married in 1854 to Delia Smith, who died in 1857, leaving one child, who died at the early age of ten months. He then married for his second wife Mrs. Rosetta H. Gregory, widow of his brother, in 1858; she died in 1860, leaving three children by her first husband - Rodolphus, Daniel, and Inez. Mr. Gregory then married his third wife, Mrs. Elvira (Spencer) Davis, in 1865, and she died in 1862, leaving one son by her first husband. He then married his fourth wife, Mrs. Lucy Soules, of New York, in December, 1866. Mr: Gregory settled in Youngsville in October, 1878, as proprietor of the Fairmount Hotel, and in July, 1882, purchased the hotel property, and is today one of the popular landlords .of the county. He has a fine livery for the accommodation of his guests and the public. He is a man of large business qualifications and has extensive experience in various branches of business. He, after the death of his third wife, enlisted in Company 12, Ohio Independent Battery, and served to the close of the war, and was discharged at Columbus, O. He emigrated to Kansas in 1856, and met with flattering prospects at Kansas City; but his plans were changed on account of sickness, and he came back to Sugar Grove.
Green, Thomas, Irvington p.o., Btokenstraw, was born in Philadelphia in 1836. He was a son of Samuel and Susan Green, who were natives of Philadelphia. They had a family of three sons and one daughter. Samuel and Susan died in Philadelphia. Samuel's grandparents (Green) were from England, and of the staunch Quaker order, and settled in Burlington, N.J., from England. Thomas Green was married on September 20, 1874, to Clarissa A. Skinner, of Waterford. They had a family of four children; three are now living - Henry, William Baldwin, and Virginia - and one child died in infancy. Clarissa was a daughter of Stephen and Clarissa R. Skinner. Thomas Green settled in Irvine, Warren county, in 1875, as joint freight agent for the P. and E., B. N.Y. and P., the N.Y. Lake Erie and Western Railroads, and Empire Line Company, and now has under his employ six men.
Green, Sterling, Kinzua p.o., Elk, was born in Pine Grove October 1, 1816, and the oldest of ten children of Seth W. and Sarah (Portman) Green. Seth W. Green came from the Eastern States, settled at Pine Grove about the year 1813, where he married his wife, Sarah Portman, and lived there a number of years engaged in lumbering, and running the same down the river, sometimes as far as New Orleans. His mode of coming back was in a barge as far as Pittsburgh, thence in a keel boat to Warren, taking three months to make the trip. After living a few years in Pine Grove he moved to Morrison's Flats, below Warren. From there he moved in canoes to the head of Kinzua valley, then known as Morrison's Mills, owned by James, Ephraim, and Samuel Morrison. He finally moved one mile below, on Sugar Run; engaged in farming until his death, which occurred August 8, 1848, at the age of fifty- six years. He left a family of ten children, who are as follows: Sterling, Wellington, Lloyd, Sarah Jane, Thomas, Artemus, William, James, Jesse, and Mary Ann. Sterling Green, the oldest son, in 1842 started in the lumber business with M. McCullough, of Pittsburgh, and A.H. Summerton, of Warren, at the Hazeltine Mills, one mile below Corydon. Afterward, in 1848, he assumed proprietorship of the Morrison House, in Warren, formerly kept by Richard Orr. Two years later he bought land in Kinzua and moved there, where he built the first hotel in 1851, which made a comfortable home for lumbermen and travelers. His first wife was Polly Cornelius Fogies. Their children were J. Wesley, George W., James S., Sarah J., and Mary Ann, the two last named dying before they reached womanhood. On March 23, 1878, his wife died of heart disease. Three years after he married Mrs. Doctress Louisa Green, of Jamestown, N.Y. The life of Sterling Green has been a varied experience of pioneer hardships incident to a first settler. He commenced when fifteen years of age to go with his, father to Pittsburgh on rafts, and to push back in a canoe, a tiresome operation of two weeks time, or more, lying on the shores at night and pushing against the current all day a canoe loaded down with provisions and articles for family use, there being in those primitive days no steamboats or railroads. In after years he became one of the leading merchants of Kinzua; was postmaster for eighteen years; frequently held town offices, and is now, at the age of seventy, one of the trustees of the M.E. Church society.
Grosch, Christian, Warren p.o., Conewango, was born in Conewango on May 3, 1849. He was a son of George and Barbara (Kiel) Grosch, both natives of Bavaria, Germany. His father was born on January 4, 1820, and was a son of Andrew and Ricky (Enger) Grosch. He came to America in 1845 and settled in Conewango, where he cleared and improved the farm on which he now resides. He was married on April 22, 1847, to Barbara Kiel, a daughter of Michael and Susan (Huscher) Kid, who settled in Conewango in 1839. He has had a family of five children born to him - Delia, Christian, George, Dora, and William. Christian settled on his present farm, which consists of 111 acres, in 1873, and cleared and made all improvements himself. He was married on December 29, 1872, to Mary Kashmer, a daughter of Adam and Otilda Kashmer, of Conewango. They have had five children born to them - Fred, Ann, Albert, George, and Frank.
Gross, George J., Warren p.o., Conewango, was, born in Conewango township on March 26, 1849. He is a son of Daniel and Philopena (Martin) Gross, who were early pioneers in the township of Conewango. He was married on April 8, 1879, to Sarah Arnold, a daughter of John and Saloma (Weiler) Arnold, of Conewango. He has lived on the farm on which he now resides since 1879.
Gross, John A., Warren p.o., Conewango, was born in Brokenstraw on May 15, 1846. He was a son of Daniel and Philopena (Martin) Gross. His paternal grandfather, Martin Gross, was a native of Prussia, and settled in Conewango at an early day. He had a family of four sons - Jacob, George, Daniel, and John. Of these Daniel had a family of ten children - Philopena, Daniel N., Elizabeth, Mary, John A., George, Sarah, Carrie (deceased), William, and Henry. Mr. Gross settled on the farm now occupied by his son, John A., in 1846, and cleared and improved it, where he resided until 1886, when he removed to Glade township, where he now resides.
Grunder, Daniel, Warren p.o., Conewango, is a farmer and lumberman, and was born in Conewango township on January 16, 1840. He settled on the farm, which he now owns and occupies, in 1868. He was a son of Henry D. and Mary E. (Gross) Grunder, who were natives of Bavaria, Germany, and settled in Conewango in 1832 on the river road, and cleared and improved a farm on what is now known as the academy land. They later removed to Pleasant township, where Henry D. engaged in the lumber business, and where he died in March, 1871, in the seventy- sixth year of his age. He had a family of seven children born to him - John, Mary, Elizabeth, Henry, Catherine, Daniel, and Lewis: Daniel was married three times. His first wife was Sophia F. Geer, a daughter of Benjamin and Narcissa (Stedman) Geer, of Conewango. They had two children born to them - Mary and Irena. His second wife was. Caroline Milex, and his third wife was Mary Gross, a daughter of Daniel and Philopena (Martin) Gross, and by whom he had two children - Caroline and Harry B.
Grunder, John, Warren p.o., Pleasant, is a farmer, and was born in Allegany county, N.Y., February 11, 1827. He was a son of Henry D. and Mary Elizabeth (Gross) Grunder, who settled in Conewango in 1832. John Grunder was brought up as a farmer from the time he was five years old, and has been a resident of Pleasant township since 1848, where he has been engaged in lumbering and farming. He was married in 1856 to Elizabeth Grunder, a daughter of John and Catherine (Meyers) Grunder, of Allegany county, N.Y., and by her had a family of three children - Edward H., John, and Hyett.