Kablin, Christian, Warren p.o., Glade. Lawrence Kablin came to this country nearly forty years ago, bringing his children - Lawrence, jr., Barbara, Magdalene, John, and Christian. His wife, Barbara, died before the family came, and Jacob, the second son, never came to the country at all. Barbara, the oldest daughter, was killed by accident a few years ago, and John died at the age of twenty- nine years. Lawrence, the father, died in Warren in 1857. Christian Kablin married Magdaline Weiler, by whom he had four children. Mr. Kablin has always been an enterprising business man, and generally successful. He has held the office of road commissioner in Glade for two years; has been school director also. His membership in the Evangelical Association dates back nearly thirty- five years. In business life Mr. K. is a farmer, lumberman, and oil producer.
Kafferlin, Leonhart, Warren p.o., Conewango, was born in Bavaria, Germany, on April 5, 1818. He came to Warren county in 1855, and worked in a foundry for three years, after which he engaged in farming. He settled on his present farm in Conewango in 1866. He was married in 1855 to Barbara Spraith, a daughter of John Spraith, of Bavaria, Germany, who settled in Conewango, in 1855. Leonhart Kafferlin has had a family of six children born to him - Michael, Margaret (now Mrs. Jacob Knupp), Pauline (now Mrs. William Seifert), Charles, Sophia (now Mrs. George Robbleton), and Fred. Mr. Kafferlin and his wife are members of the Lutheran Church.
Keller, Jacob, Irvinton p.o., Conewango, was born in Alsace, France, on January. 9, 1828. He was a son of Sextus and Mary (Seigrist) Keller. He came to America with his parents in 1848, and settled in Warren, living there until 1855, when he purchased the farm which he now occupies, and where he has since resided. Sextus Keller had a family of three children - Jacob, Sextus, and John. Jacob was married in 1852 to Mary M. Seiffert, and to them were born eleven children, of whom six are now living - Jacob E., Mary M. (now Mrs. Frank Schirck), Franklin, Andrew A., Philip H., and William A. Mary M. Keller was a daughter of John and Mary (Bucsh) Seiffert, who were natives of Alsace, France, and who came to this country and settled in Conewango, in 1840.
Kelley, Henderson, Lottsville p.o., Freehold, was born in Mercer county in 1831, and settled in Warren county in 1871. He married Sally E. Farnham, of New York, and to them have been born four children - Earnest J., Emma A., Nettie M., and Maud R. In early days Mr. Kelly was a carpenter and blacksmith, but of late years has devoted his entire attention and time to farming. His father, John Kelley, was born in Ireland, in 1794, and married Elizabeth McElree, of England. They had a family of twelve children born to them, nine of whom are now living. They came to America in 1812.
Kennedy, Austin I., Columbus, was born in Chenango county, N.Y., in 1820. Re was a son of Isaac and Catherine (Rector) Kennedy, who were born and married in Dutchess county, N.Y., and settled in Columbus in 1834, with a family of nine children. The parents died in Erie county, and seven of the children are now living, four sons and three daughters; one son, Madison, enlisted and served in the late war until the close. Austin I. Kennedy was married in 1842 to Fidelia Hatch, and by her had a family of six children, but one daughter of whom is now living - Celia R., who now resides with her father. Fidelia, the mother, died in 1871. Austin I. now owns and occupies the piece of land purchased by his father in 1834, and bequeathed to him. The children of Isaac now living - are Charles, Madison, Austin, De Witt C., Catherine, Folly E., Julia A. Charles is a physician and surgeon at Sylvania.
Keiker, Conrad, Irvinton p.o., Conewango, was born in Germany, on December 11, 1817. He was a son of Adam Keiker. He came to America in 1841 and settled in Conewango, Warren county, in 1845. He settled on the farm on which he now resides in 1861. His wife was Sophia Gross, a native of Germany, and by whom he had two children - Allie (Mrs. David York), who has two children - Clarence and Blanche), and Rosa (now Mrs. Frank Wilcox), who also has two children - George and Frank.
Kilburn, A. R., Corydon p.o., Elk. The Kilburn family are to be numbered among the pioneers of Quaker Hill. Frederick Kilburn, the father, was born in Connecticut, but went to Cayuga county, N.Y., at an early day, where he married Polly Stanton, and they went to Wayne county, N.Y. In 1836 they came to Elk. They had born to them a family of four children - Charlotte (who married Daniel Mix), Mahala (who married Eber Edwards), Clarinda (who became the wife of James Carmer), and Allen R. The family lived on the "hill" but one year when they moved on the farm now owned by Allen R. Kilburn, near the river. Frederick Kilburn died in 1861, two years after the death of his wife. Allen R. Kilburn married first, Margaret McMullen, who bore him a family of five children. She died December 11, 1869. In April, 1874, he married Fanny Bissell, of Warren, and to them has been born one child. Allen R. Kilburn from a poor boy has progressed until now he is one of the first men of Elk. The want of an early education and poverty were no bar to his advancement. He cared for his aged parents in his later years, and freely and liberally did he make the provision. In town affairs he has been prominent.
Kinnear, James, Tidioute, was born in Huntington county in 1814. He was a son of William and Rebecca (McElvaine) Kinnear. She was born in Juniata county in 1785, and he was born in Ireland in 1783, a descendant of the Huguenots. He came to this country in 1790 and settled with his parents, Alexander and Jane (Ganley) Kinnear, in the eastern part of Pennsylvania. In 1819 William, with his family, moved to Western Pennsylvania and purchased of Cornplanter, chief of the Seneca Indians, a farm located at the mouth of Oil Creek, Venango county, where Oil City now stands. This farm consisted of two hundred acres, and was then an entire wilderness. Here he erected a furnace, and after a time sold the same and removed to Tidioute, where he bought lands at the mouth of Tidioute Creek, upon which the business part of Tidioute borough is now located. Here, in 1827, he erected the first saw- mill in the western part of Warren county. He had a family of seven children; those now living are William, John, Ganley, and James. James Kinnear was married in 1843 to Jennette Parshall, who was born in Venango county in 1822. They have had seven children born to them. He was captain in the old military organization of the State for many years, and was one of the successful early producers of oil. He was one of the founders of the Tidioute Savings Bank, and an active man in general business. He is now retired. His children now living are Charlotte (who married D.S. Thompson), Josephine (married M.P. Getchell), and James Wesley, who graduated from Allegheny College and was admitted to the bar of Warren county in 1885.
Kinnear Hon. Henry P., Youngsville p.o., one of the successful business men of Warren county, was born in Youngsville July 26, 1816. He has devoted his business life chiefly to the lumber interest, from which he retired in 1882. He was elected sheriff in 1843, and again in 1861; and was a member of the Legislature in 1846; he has also held minor offices of the town. He is now a director and the superintendent of the chartered Point Chautauqua Company on the Lake, which has a capital of $100,000. On March 28, 1842, he was married to Abigail Morgan, of Chautauqua county, N.Y. They have had four children - George W., Harry C., C.F.L., and Florence D. The latter married M.D. Whitney. George W. enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Eleventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served to the close of the war. Henry P. was a son of Henry and Margaret Kinnear; they were born in Ireland - he in 1764 and she in 1776 - and were married in Centre county in 1797. They had a family of nine children - James, Ann, Margaret, Rebecca, Judge Carter V., Robert, Charles, and Hon. Henry P.; one died in infancy. Henry P. is the only surviving one. They settled in Youngsville in 1815, and purchased a large tract of land; in 1816 Henry engaged in the mercantile trade, being the first merchant in that township. He was appointed recorder and commissioner of Warren county by the governor, and also acting justice for several years. Mrs. Kinnear's mother, Margaret, was never sick a day, and lived until she was 105 years old, when she died from a fall. Henry Kinnear died in 1826, and his wife in 1856.
Kinnear, Wallace D., Youngsville p.o., Brokenstraw, was born in Youngsville in 1847. He was a son of Judge Carter V. and Rachel R. (Dike) Kinnear, who were born in Venango county. He was born in 1808, and his wife in 1806, and died in 1884. They had a family of three children born to them - Wallace D., Francis D., and Mary A., of whom Wallace D. is now the only surviving one. Judge Carter V. Kin-near was one of the representative men of his county, not only as a merchant and business man, but was appointed -to office by the governor and elected by the people, and was also a member of the Legislature in 1852 and 1853. He was a son of Henry and Margaret Kinnear, who were born in Ireland and married in 1796. Henry came to Pennsylvania in 1790. They had a family of nine children, eight of whom lived to maturity-- James, Ann, Margaret, Rebecca, Judge C.V., Robert, Charles, and Hon. Henry P. Wallace D. Kinnear was married in 1872 to Jennie S. Smith, who was born on October 10, 1849. She was a daughter of Chauncey Smith, of Youngsville. They have had one son born to them - Francis-- born in 1873. Wallace D. Kinnear was educated for a merchant, and followed the example of his grandfather and father up to 1882, when he disposed of his general dry goods interest and embarked in the hardware, stoves, tin, and farming implements trade, doing business under the firm name of McDowell & Kinnear. Mr. Kinnear was elected burgess of his town in 1886.
Kitchen, Alexander A., Warren p.o., Conewango, was born in Scotland on May 26, 1816. He was a son of Alexander and Margaret (McLean) Kitchen. He is a representative farmer of Conewango, and though seventy years of age is still hale and hearty. He came to America in 1836 and settled in New York city, where he worked at the blacksmith trade for eighteen months. He settled in Warren county in 1837, and worked at his trade at Sugar Grove and Warren for two years and a half. He settled on the farm in Conewango which he now occupies. He was married in 1838 to his first wife, Jane McKean (a native of Scotland), and by whom he had ten children - Mary, Alexander, James, Jane, Margaret, Charles, Flora, John, Sarah, and William. His second wife was Elsie Taylor, of Scotland.
Knapp, Noah, Lander p.o., Farmington, is a farmer, and was born in Concord, Erie county, N.Y., January 20, 1823. He was a son of Hiram and Clarissa (Barrett) Knapp, who settled in Farmington in 1838, locating on the farm which is now owned by Sylvester Clark, which they cleared and improved. They had a family of five children - Noah, Thomas M., Louisa C., Rosaville, and Lucy C. Noah Knapp's paternal grandfather was Deacon Comfort Knapp, who also settled in Farmington in 1834. He was a deacon in the Baptist Church for many years. Noah Knapp has resided in Farmington since he was eleven years old. In 1847 he purchased the farm which he now owns and occupies, and which consists of one hundred acres, twenty- five acres of which he has cleared. He was married in 1849 to Almeda Jenkins, a daughter of Joseph and Sophronia (Weatherby) Jenkins, of Farmington. They have had a family of four children born to them - Lovisa S., Joseph J., Hiram E. (deceased), and Lulie A.
Knoph, Henry, North Warren p.o., Conewango, was born on November 6, 1823, in Bavaria, Germany. He is a son of Jacob and Catherine (Baker) Knoph, who came to America in 1828 and settled in Warren. In 1830 they settled in Pleasant township, cleared and improved a farm of 200 acres there, where they resided until the time of their deaths. They had a family of six children born to them - Emiline, Jacob, Adam, Henry, Elizabeth, and Nathaniel. Henry settled on the farm on which he now resides in Conewango in 1855, all of which he has cleared and improved himself. He was married in 1850 to Ann Keil, a daughter of Michael and Susan (Huscher) Keil, of Conewango. He has two children living - Mary E. (now Mrs. Jacob Leonhart, who has a family of four children - Anna M., Dosa, Carrie, and an infant son), and John (who married Barbara Baker, a daughter of Henry and Philopena (Zeigler) Baker, of Conewango, and by whom he has had two children - Bertha and Louis).
La Bree, Loren, Kinzua p.o., Elk. Smith La Bree was born in Brintwood, N. H., June 24, 1797, and came to Kinzua in 1815, when but eighteen years of age. He found work in the woods, at which he continued for one year; returned to his father's and served him one year; came back to Kinzua and followed lumbering for many years, in fact, he became a pioneer lumberman. In October 1822, he married Susanna Hamun, by whom he had a family of seven children - Sally, born December 27, 1824, died July 28, 1825; Adeline, born December 22, 1829, died August 4, 1833; Loren, born April 16, 1805, died July 27, 1839; Rosina, born March 26, 1832, died July 7, 1863; Rosetta, born June 19, 1834, married J.O. McManus; Loren, born November 28, 1840; Archibald, born September 17, 1846, died April 9, 1879. Smith La Bree died November 27, 1860, and Susanna, his wife, died March 29, 1877. Loren La Bree married Mary H. Neff; by whom he had two children - Ethel A. and Harry S. Mr. La Bree enlisted and served in the late war, under Captain James. By occupation he is a farmer, and his residence is among the best of the town. Both he and his wife are devoted members of the M.E. Church.
Lacy, James D., North Warren p.o., Conewango, is a farmer, and was born in Plainfield, N.J., September 16, 1813. He was a son of Silas and Nancy (Parker) Lacy. He was brought up in Benton, Yates county, N.Y., and came to Warren county in 1849, and settled in Conewango, and located on the farm which he now owns and occupies in 1876. He has been married twice. His first wife was Hannah Wells, of Louisville, Ky., by whom he had a family of three children - Mary J., James P., and Julia. His second wife was Hannah Hart, of Jamestown, N.Y., by whom he had five children - Orange R., Charles C., Eva B., Ada, and Emma.
Lake, John M., Sugar Grove p.o., Freehold, was a son of John Lake, who was born in Sweden in 1807, and came to America in 1850. By his first wife, Helen Lake, he had a family of three children - John M., Christian, and Helen; and by his second wife, Sarah Lake, he had one child - Anna Sophia (deceased). John M. was born in Sweden in 1836, and married Louise C. Anderson, of Warren county. They had a family of three children, only one of whom is living - Charles M., (Henry and George deceased). John M. enlisted in the Eighty- second Pennsylvania Infantry and served until the close of the war. He is now a successful farmer.
Langdon, Joseph B., was born in Sugar Grove township in 1834. He is a son of Noah B. Langdon and Barbara Brown, sister of Judge Brown and daughter of David and Jannett Brown. Noah was born in May, 1803, and settled with his parents in 1817; they had a family of fourteen children, but two of whom now survive. Noah died in 1882, and his wife in 1840, leaving five children, only one of whom is now living - Joseph B. The grandfather was a soldier in the War of 1812, being then a resident of Genesee county, N.Y. Joseph B. spent thirteen years in California - from 1854 to 1867 - when he returned and married Margaret Younie in 1872. They have two daughters-Jenette B. and Anna Y. Margaret was a daughter of James and Mary Jane Younie, of Scotland. Joseph was elected justice of the peace in 1882.
Lauffenberger, 2d, Jacob, Warren p.o., Pleasant, is a farmer and was born in Alsace, France, April 23, 1828. He was a son of Philip and Barbara (Rhinehart) Lauffenberger. His father came to this county in 1873. He had a family of eight children - Philip, Barbara (deceased), Jacob, John (deceased), Fred (deceased), Sally, George, and Mary (deceased). Jacob came to Warren county in 1851, and settled in Pleasant township on the farm which he now occupies, all of which he has cleared and improved himself. He was married June 6, 1856, to Rachel Risley, of Warren, by whom he has had a ramify or ten children - Amy, Flora (deceased), Carrie, Frank, Jennie, Bertie, Louis, and Dora. Mr. Lauffenberger and his wife are members of the Lutheran Church of Warren.
Lauffenberger, 1st, Jacob, Warren, is a farmer, and was born in Alsace, France, August 18, 1817. He is a son of Frank and 'Christina E. (Leonhart) Lauffenberger. He came to Warren in 1840, and in 1843 settled in Pleasant township on the farm he now occupies. In 1844 he married Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob and Louisa Klein, of Pleasant township. They have one adopted daughter - Lena. Mr. L. and wife are members of the Lutheran Church of Warren.
Lauffer, Martin, North Warren p.o., is a farmer, and was born in Alsace, France. He is a son of Martin and Catherine (Gruber) Lauffer. He came to this country in 1852 and settled in Warren county, locating upon the farm upon which he now resides in 1862, most of which he cleared and improved himself. In 1854 he married Emeline, daughter of Jacob and Emeline (Peters) Dible, natives of Alsace, France, who settled in Pleasant township in 1847. By this marriage there were six children - Henry, George, Albert, John, Clara, and Fred. Mr. Lauffer and wife are members of the Luther Church of Warren.
Learn, Jacob, Ackley Station p.o., Elk. Levi Learn was a native of Pennsylvania, and when a young man went to Wayne county, N.Y. He lived and married there. His wife was Margaret Shook, who bore him seven children - Benjamin, Jacob S., Lewis, James, Adam, Mary, and Hannah. They came to Quaker Hill in 1834, and the family were quite prominent in early days of the town. Levi Learn died only a few years ago. Jacob, who is the oldest son now living, married Hannah Rider, by whom he had a family of three children. After her death he married Sarah Northrup, who bore him four children. Jacob Learn seems to have taken his father's place in the affairs of the town, and his quiet manners, good judgment, and excellent private life have made him a person who is generally respected by all who are in any manner associated with him.
Leiter, Warren, North Warren p.o., Conewango, was born in Dansville, N.Y., on March 5, 1844. He was a son of Joseph and Barbara (Montz) Leiter. His father was a native of Pennsylvania, and his mother of Germany. Warren came to Pennsylvania when he was fourteen years old, and settled in Warren in 1861, and in 1862 he settled in Crawford county. He returned to Warren in 1872, and then purchased the farm in Conewango where he now resides, and which was cleared and improved by his father- in- law, Merritt Babcock. He was married in 1872 to Antis D. Babcock, and to them have been born three children - Nellie E., Effie V., and Bertie J. Antis D. Leiter was a daughter of Merritt and Lucinda (Sturdevant) Babcock, of Conewango.
Leonard, Levi, Spring Creek, was born in Warren county in 1832. He married Cordelia Donaldson, of Spring Creek, by whom he had a family of two children - Guy C., and Nora. He has been a justice of the peace for two years last past, and has three years to serve; and was deputy sheriff for thirty years. He now owns a farm which consists of sixty acres. Levi L. was a son of Arnold and Emeline (Gillis) Leonard. Arnold Leonard was born in Warren county in 1811, and his wife, Emeline, was born in Chenango county, N.Y. in 1812.
Lesser, August, Warren p.o., is a farmer, and was born in Alsace, France, January 8, 1840. He is a son of Conrad and Saloma (Keller) Lesser. He came with his father to Warren in 1851; was a resident of Warren eight years, serving as clerk in a grocery, and also working at the cooper's trade - assisting in making the first oil barrels used in Warren county. In 1873 he settled in Pleasant township on a farm of 100 acres, about forty of which he has cleared. In 1862 he married Mary, daughter of John and Mary (Gutzel) Lauffer, of Warren; they have six children - Daniel E., Mary E., George A., Helena B., Anna J., and Augusta.
Livermore, George, Bear Lake p.o., Freehold, was born in Allegheny county in 1854. He married Mary L. Phillips. In 1884 he commenced the manufacture of harness at Bear Lake, a business which he followed up to October, 1886, when he engaged with H. J. Phillips. They are now doing a fine business in drugs and medicines.
Logan, John B., West Spring Creek p.o., was born in Genesee county, N.Y., in 1862. He married Harriet Morton, of Chautauqua county, N.Y. They have had nine children, seven of whom are now living, as follows: Merritt A., Martha A., Elbert, Harvey D., Lois Allener, Hattie May, and Bessie. Mr. Logan has held the offices of school director and road commissioner. He has a farm of 150 acres. His father, Lemuel, served in the War of 1812; he was married three times, and left ten children.
Logan, John, proprietor of the Bradford House, North Clarendon p.o, was born in Scotland February 8, 1848, and is a son of John and Ellen (Brice) Logan, who settled in Freehold township in 1851. The subject of this sketch was reared in Warren county, and located in Mead township in 1880; he has conducted the Bradford House one year. On November 28, 1882, he married Mary, daughter of Lawrence and Elizabeth (Lauffer) Baldensperger, of Mead. They have had one child - Belle E.
Long, Hugh, Pittsfield. In the year 1800 Hugh Long's parents, George and Isabel (McCormic) Long, settled in Spring Creek township, Warren county, about three miles west of Garland on the Big Brokenstraw Creek, and there built the first saw- mill that was erected in Spring Creek township; there their son Hugh was born on the 2d of February, 1802; he was the first white child born in the township. In 1808 or '09 his father sold his property to Daniel Horn, and then settled in Pittsfield township, about two miles east of Garland, built another saw- mill and cleared up a farm, upon which he resided till his death in 1854. His wife died in 1858. He was in the Revolutionary War, and present at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown, Va. Hugh married Eleanor Gray October 26, 1826, and bought a farm about one mile from his father's, where he has since resided. They have had five children - Harriett, William W., Daniel A., Laura, and Cordelia C. They are all living but one - William W. His wife, Eleanor, died in September, 1847. His occupation has been farming in the summer, getting out lumber in the winter, and rafting it down the river in the spring; he has also hunted some - bears, wolves, deer, and almost all kinds of small game being very plenty in his early days. He served as justice of the peace ten years, constable four years, school director about fifteen years, supervisor, auditor, assessor, etc., for a number of years. But now the effects of age compel him to give up worldly affairs and live a retired life.
Long, James C., Tidioute p.o., Glade, a general hardware merchant, was born in Butler county in 1845. He was a son of Robert and Sarah (Quinlan) Long, who died in Butler county, leaving a family of three children - James C., William, and Eva. He was a prominent justice and one of the leading men of his town. James C. enlisted in Co. E., 17th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers in 1861, and served for three years, and at the end of that time was honorably discharged. He settled in Tidioute, in 1867, and embarked in the general hardware business, dealing in stoves, tinware, and also engaged in the oil business. He was appointed postmaster in 1877, an office which he held until March, 1886. He has also been town clerk, and has held other minor offices. James C. married Mary Leighty, of Irvine, in 1867. They have had a family of four children born to them - Fannie, Tilly, Jessie, and Maud.
Loree, Nathaniel, Warren p.o., Conewango, was born in Steuben county, N.Y., on September 9, 1817. He was a son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Hendricks) Loree. He was reared in his native county, and in 1864 he settled in Warren county, on the farm he now occupies, and which consists of 140 acres, too acres of which have been improved, and most of which he cleared himself. He was married twice, his first wife being Lydia L. Jones, of Iosko, Mich., by whom he had two children - Rhoda E., and Josephine, both of whom are now dead. His second wife was Philopena (Rarick) Denny, of Yates county, N.Y., by whom he had six children - Elizabeth (Mrs. Albert Head), Josephine (Mrs. H.C. Dible), Sarah (Mrs. Godfried Gruble), Lucinda (Mrs. George Lauffer), and Nathaniel, jr.
Mathis, Mary (Smith), Warren p.o., Glade, and her children, Elizabeth, Joseph, and Stephen, came to Warren county in 1854 and located on the Tionesta. George, another child, came a year early. Mary, the mother, died in 1855. Joseph married Catherine Mack, a daughter of John Mack, by whom he had a family of six children - John, Mary Lena, Joseph, jr., Lydia S., Fred G., and Katy F. Mathis. The family reside in the north part of Glade on a well- cultivated farm of eighty- six acres. Stephen Mathis married Caroline Eberhart, by whom he had a family of five children. Joseph was born in 1828, and Stephen in 1830.
Merritt, Charles C., Grand Valley p.o., Southwest, was born in Hanover, Chautauqua county, N.Y., on April 3, 1836, and was a son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Jewitt) Merritt, who settled in Deerfield in 1855, where Elizabeth died, leaving a family of seven children, six of whom are now living, and by his first wife, Emma Wright Thomas had a family of twelve children, having in all by both wives nineteen children, fourteen of whom are now living, and all of whom are filling prominent positions as clergymen, or holding State or county offices. Two of the sons served in the War of 1812. The father, Thomas, was a soldier in the War of 1812. He was born in Connecticut, and married in Fabius, N.Y., after which he settled in Chautauqua county, N.Y. Judge C.C. Merritt enlisted in Co. F, One Hundred and Forty- fifth Regiment Pa. Vols., in August, 1862, and served to the close of the war; he was promoted to sergeant and then to captain, under Colonel Hiram Brown, of Erie; he was wounded in two engagements, taken prisoner, and held for ten months at Andersonville. He has held the office of justice of the peace for fifteen years, and was elected judge in 1885, and has held other prominent offices in his town, and is one of the leading men of his county. He was married in July, 1856, to Esther L. Hunter. They have had three daughters.
Love, Jesse, Russell p.o., Pine Grove, was born in the State of Rhode Island, May 10, 1816. His wife, Mary Ann, was born March 27, 1823. They were married in 1839. Their children were Margaret, Sylvester, Robert A. (now sheriff), Betsey M., Martha L., Rachel J., Mary L., Laura Ann, Fanny J., Sarah L., Charles, and Amy L. Jesse Love died April 18, 1876. Mary Ann, his widow, married Samuel P. Allen, an old and respected resident of Pine Grove, in February, 1880. Jesse Love settled in Warren county in 1820. He was a self- made man, successful in business, and at the time of his death in comfortable circumstances. During the several years preceding his death he resided in Pine Grove.
Mabie, W.H.H., Tidioute. The ancestor of the Mabie family was a native of Holland, who enlisted on a privateer which came on the coast of America, and took a Spanish prize near New York. A son, Abraham, married a French lady at New Rochelle, N.Y., a member of a Huguenot family. From them descended a son, Abraham, born in 1727, and from him descended three sons, Abraham (grandfather of W.H.H. Mabie, subject of this sketch), Joshua and Samuel Mabie. The two latter settled on a farm near Hinckley Pond, town of Patterson, Putnam county, N.Y. Abraham settled on a farm in the town of South East, same county. From Joshua descended Sylvester Mabie, who was president of the Putnam County National Bank, a position he held for many years and at the time of his death in 1885. Also, Jeremiah and Edmund, who were prominent owners of a traveling menagerie, who, after accumulating a fortune, settled in Delevan, Wis., dying in 1869. Sylvester Mabie had a son, Henry, who represented his county, Putnam, in the Legislature of New York for 1885 - 6. From Abraham Mabie (brother of Joshua and Samuel), descended Samuel Mabie, father of W.H.H. Mabie, the subject of this sketch. The latter came to Tidioute in 1865, engaging as salesman in a store. In 1888 he formed a partnership with Jahu Hunter, which continued for fourteen years, and was widely known as one of the leading and most successful firms in the county in their line. In 1882, Mr. Hunter's son, L.L. Hunter, became partner. In 1884 Mr. Mabie purchased the Hunter half of the mercantile, timber, and saw- mill interests at Cobham, on the Allegheny River, five miles from Tidioute, where a large steam circular saw- mill is operated, the product of which goes to various New England points, New York, and Brooklyn, as well as Pittsburgh and down river points, and ranking among the first lumber concerns of that section. Mr. Mabie was married in 1868, to Nannie A. Magee, a native of Pennsylvania. They have two children - a son, Clarance A., and a daughter, Grace E. The brothers and sisters of W.H.H. Mabie, now reside at Danbury, Conn., to which place they removed in 1866.
Mahan, James, Lander p.o., Farmington, is a farmer, and was born in Pine Grove township, December 22, 1823. He was a son of John and Mercy (Burget) Mahan. His father was a native of Ireland, and started for this country with his parents, when but a small child, and landed at Philadelphia. His parents died in Philadelphia with yellow fever in 1789, and he was brought by an uncle to Deer's Eddy, below Brokenstraw, where he lived with an aunt, and experienced many hardships. He was a soldier in the War of J812, and settled in Pine Grove in 1823, and in 1825 settled in what is now Farmington, on the farm which is now occupied by James Mahan and his brother, David, which he cleared and improved himself, and upon which he lived and died. His death occurred on May 27, 1882, at the age of eighty- six years. He had a family of five children who grew to maturity - James, David, William, Peter, and Harrison, all of whom live with their families in Farmington. James Mahan occupies a part of the original homestead. He was married in 1847, to Catherine Brooks, a daughter of Ephraim and Hannah (Elder) Brooks, of Chenango county, N.Y. They have had two children born to them - Willard P. and Cora, (now Mrs. Dr. H.H. Cowles). His maternal grandfather was Garrett Burget, a son of Peter Burget, both of whom settled in what is now Farmington, in 1815.
Mandavill, Amicy R., Garland p.o., Pittsfield, was born in Brokenstraw township, in 1828. He was married in 1853,to Eunice McCray, of Garland, Warren county. They had a family of three children born to them - Loren, Lincoln, and Lewis. Amicy R. has been road commissioner, and is now acting justice of the peace. He was an early lumberman and farmer, and now owns three hundred acres, although he has retired from active life. He was a son of Francis and Catherine (Vosburgh) Mandavill, who were natives of Columbia county, N.Y., and settled in Warren county. They had a family of six children born to them, four of whom are now living - Mrs. Jane V. Andrews, Mrs. Rachel Barlow, Joshua, and Amicy R.
Mandaville, G.F., Garland p.o., Spring Creek, was born in 1835. His wife was Catherine E. Stuart, of Warren county, who was born in 1841. They have had a family of three children born to them - James L., Kitty, and Eda. His father, John S. Mandaville, was born in New York in 1810, and settled in Warren county in 1830. His wife was Rebecca Keenan, of Westmoreland county, where she was born in 1800. John S. died in 1877, and his wife died in 1876. They had a family of Gifford, Gilbert D., Catherine, and Caroline. G.F. Mandaville is engaged in lumbering and farming, and now owns a farm of 112 acres. He enlisted in the Fourteenth Pa. cavalry, and served in the late war.
Marsh, William S., Lander p.o., Farmington, is a farmer, and was born in Farmington, July 9, 1826. He was a son of Joseph and Ruth (Sheldon) Marsh. His paternal grandparents were John and Phebe (Allen) Marsh, natives of New Jersey, who settled in what is now Farmington in 1800, and cleared and improved a farm which is now owned by A.P. Wright and P.W. Brown. They were married in Rahway, N.J., in 1790, in Quaker form, their marriage certificate, containing the names of fifty- two witnesses, being now in the possession of William S. Marsh. They had a family of five children - Phebe, Joseph, Sally, Nancy, and Miriam. John Marsh, in 1803, taught the first school in Warren county, and in 1805, with his brother Hugh, who settled in Farmington in 1798, built the first school- house in the county, near the site of the present one in Marshtown. Joseph Marsh, only son of John, was a farmer. He was twice married. His first wife was Ruth, a daughter of William and Parthenia (Sherman) Sheldon, by whom he had a family of ten children - Parthena, Phebe S., Miriam L., William S., Nancy P., John A., Phebe A., Joseph L., Rachel J., and Edwin S. His second wife was Betsey (Kelsey) Trask, by whom he had three children - Martha J., Joseph A., and Betsey A. William settled on the farm which he now owns and occupies in 1850, which he cleared and improved. He was married in 1850 to Rosaville, a daughter of Hiram and Clarissa (Barrett) Knapp, of Erie county, N.Y. They have had a family of four children - W. Ed., Joseph S., Frederick S., and Carrie A. Mr. Marsh is a Republican, and has held the office of justice of the peace for four terms.
One of the leading men of the town is William L. Marsh, Kinzua p.o., Elk. Mr. Marsh was born in Cattaraugus county, N.Y., at Little Valley, March 29, 1826. He is a farmer, and was born and raised on a farm. In 1848 he came to Corydon, where, in 1832, he married Mary Whitcomb, by whom he had a family of ten children. About twenty years ago he moved to Kinzua township, about a mile north of the village, on a farm of about two hundred acres. Mr. Marsh is comfortably well possessed of this world's goods, and in the fullness of his age enjoys the fruits of his toil in early life. He takes no special interest in political affairs, but was a Whig with that party and followed it when it merged into the Republican party of later days.
Martin, James M., Sugar Grove p.o., was born in Sugar Grove in 1840. He was a son of Christopher and Ann (McIntosh) Martin. Christopher was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, in 180i; his wife was born in Scotland in 1803, and they were married in 1830 at the old Faulkner House in Sugar Grove. He came from Ireland to Greene county, N.Y., in 1827, and went thence to Sugar Grove in 1830. Their children were George D., Annis C., Ann Elizabeth, and James M. The latter married Florence Pratt in 1872; she was a daughter of L. H. and Julia Pratt. They have three children - Lucy, Anna, and Mary. Mr. Martin was appointed postmaster in 1885; has been assessor for four terms, and an officer of Freehold Mutual Insurance Company. He now owns the old homestead farm of 140 acres, purchased in 1831.
McCall, David M., Tidioute, is a dealer in furniture of all the latest designs, pianos, organs, and a full line of all undertaking goods. He was born in Crawford county, and established himself as a furniture manufacturer and dealer, and undertaker in Townville in 1857. He settled in Tidioute in 1876, and embarked in his present business, which has been a financial success. In December, 1884, he was elected president of the Northwestern Funeral Directors' Association of Pennsylvania, comprising Erie, Crawford and Warren counties, and was re- elected the following year, and continues to hold the same honorable position. He was married in 1861 to Hannah J. Noble, of Erie county. They have had a family of four children. One died in infancy; one, Frankie Morris, was born May 30, 1870, and was drowned in the Allegheny River, June 20, 1884. Two of the children are now living - Alice J. and Mary Maud. Mrs. McCall died December 28, 1881. Mr. McCall was a son of Samuel and Martha (Morris) McCall. She was born in Utica, N.Y., in 1804, and her husband Samuel was born in Pennsylvania in 1795. They were married in Crawford county, and had a family of ten children, two of whom are now living - David M. and Nancy (who married Mr. McConnell). Samuel died in 1872. Three of his Sons enlisted and served in the War of the Rebellion. Samuel, jr., and Levy L. enlisted in the Pennsylvania Bucktails of the One Hundred and Fiftieth Volunteers, and served to the close of the war. James V. enlisted from Wisconsin, and also served until he was discharged. They were all honorably discharged, but have all died since the war from health impaired through exposure.
McCoy, Thomas, Ackley Station p.o., Pine Grove, was born in Cumberland county on January 19, 1816. His father's family went to Venango county in 1826. In 1833 Thomas left home and came to Pine Grove, and found work at lumbering for Guy C. Irvine. This business he followed for thirty- five years. In 1836 he married Priscilla, .a daughter of John Cheers, of Venango county. Their children were Andrew J., who married Cynthia Sanborn, and now lives at Louisville, Ky.; Benjamin F., who resides at Kinzua; William W., who married Orpha Cheers and who have four children; George W., who married Florence Hale, and who have had ten children, eight of whom are now living; Nancy, who married Levi Brown, and who have three children; Nelson P., who married Mattie Brownell, both of whom are deceased; Sarah Jane, who married George Rider, both of whom are deceased; Joseph, who married Hattie Walling, and who have had one child; and Mary P., who married Albert Wyman, and who have had two children. Thomas McCoy was a successful business man and accumulated a considerable fortune, but by accommodating others his means have been reduced. Recently he has divided his once extensive farm between his children. Mr. McCoy is a Democrat of long standing, and has always been a prominent figure in the political affairs of the town. He has twenty grandchildren and two great- grandchildren.
McDonald, John G., Sugar Grove p. O., was born in 1857. He was a son of John and Agnes (McLeod) McDonald, who were born and married in Scotland, and settled in Sugar Grove in 1852, where their four children were born. Their names are Archibald D., Alexander M., John G., and Mary. John G. is a general merchant of the firm of McDonald Brothers, dealers in dry goods, clothing, groceries, boots and shoes and all fancy goods, and are wholesale dealers in and shippers of butter, eggs, hay, etc. John G. engaged in business in 1878 with his brother under the firm name of A.D. McDonald & Co. A.D. retired in 1884 (died in 1886), when Alexander entered into partnership with John, the firm name being McDonald Brothers.
McDowell, L.R., East Branch p.o., Spring Creek, was born in Ontario county, N.Y., in 1823, and settled in Sugar Grove in 1842. He married Louisa Jewell in 1838, and they had three daughters - Anna, Tena, and Ardella; the last two are dead. L.R. was a son of Samuel H. and Delila (Beardsley) McDowell, of Connecticut, who settled in Warren county in 1842; they had eleven children, six of whom are now living. He was a harness- maker by trade. L.R. served in the Rebellion in the Second District of Columbia Regiment. He owns a farm of 186 acres.
McGee, Robert, Cobham, p.o., Deerfield, was born in Deerfield township in 1849. He was married on December 26, 1849, to Edna H. Rowland, by whom he has had two children - Harrison D. and Lulu. Mrs. McGee was a daughter of George W. Rowland. Robert McGee had four brothers who served in the late War of the Rebellion. William died in Andersonville prison, where he was buried; James died at home on January 14, 1864; and John and Joseph were discharged with their regiment. They were the sons of William and Kaziah (Thompson) McGee. Kaziah was born in Deerfield and was sixty- eight years and four months old when she died on March 28, 1873, and her husband, William, was born in Mifflin; he was eighty- one years and seven months when he died on March 4, 1873. They had a family of nine children born to them, six of whom are now living. They were early settlers on the river north of Tidioute, where William was engaged in lumbering and farming up to the time of his death.
McGuire, jr., Thomas L., Garland p.o., Pittsfield, was born in Brokenstraw township in 1834. He was a son of Thomas and Ruth (Arthur) McGuire. Ruth was born in Brokenstraw, and died in 1835. Her husband, Thomas, was born in 1781, and died in 1865. They had a family of five children born to them - Susan (married Mr. Snow), Emily, Thomas L., jr., Rebecca (married W. Crook), and Elsie. Thomas, sr., was a son of Hugh and Patience McGuire. Hugh was a native of Chester county, and settled here early in the year 1800, and was engaged in farming with General Irvin. He had a government contract for many years in carrying the mails to and from Jamestown, Titusville, and Meadville. Thomas L., jr., was married in 1857 to Eliza Jane Upton, who was born in Garland. They have had a family of four children born to them - Lavina D., Lillia Ann, John Willard, and Guy Ellis. Eliza Jane was a daughter of Benjamin and Eleanor Upton. Thomas L., jr., settled in Pittsfield, in 1857, on his present homestead farm.
McIntosh, Charles, Sugar Grove, was born at Ashville, Chautauqua county, N.Y., in 1849. He was a son of James and Isabella (Laing) McIntosh, who were natives of Scotland. They have had a family of six children, four of whom are now living. James was born in 1803; Charles married Mary Jamieson, of Freehold township in September, 1885; she was a daughter of William and Agnes Jamieson. Charles is a farmer and harness- manufacturer.
McIntyre, Almyron, Pittsfield, was born in Delaware county, N.Y., in 1818. He was a son of Nathaniel and Miranda (Goodrich) McIntyre. Miranda was a native of Delaware county, N.Y., and her husband of Scotland. They settled in Delaware county in 1837, where he was married, He came to Pittsfield and engaged in the lumber business, and Almyron came with him. In 1839 Nathaniel returned to Delaware county, where he died the same year, aged forty- six years. His widow after his death came to reside with Almyron. She died in Iowa. They had a family of ten children born to them, five of whom are now living as follows: George, Jerome, James, Almyron, and Harriet. One of the sons, Jarvis, enlisted, was discharged and died while on his way home. Almyron was married in 1841 to Mary Boughton, who was born in Chautauqua county, N.Y. They have had a family of four daughters born to them - Sceneth A., married Richard Brooks, now has a family of three children; Justina, married John Salmon, and died leaving one son - Jay; Ina, was married twice; her first husband was Frank Jackson, who died in 1880; her present husband is Laverne Wickwire; and Ella, who married Fred W. Price; they have had one daughter born to them - Florence. Mr. Almyron McIntyre has held the office of justice of the peace, assessor, school director, commissioner, and all other town and district offices. He was an early practical mill contractor and bridge builder, and he has built several of the large hotels and buildings of the county. He had no chance for school advantages but by close application he acquired a thorough business knowledge. Being a close observer he is well informed both on State and county affairs.
McIntyre, N.J., Grand Valley p.o., Eldred, was born in Warren county in 1857. He is a farmer and is also largely engaged in lumbering as a contractor. He was married in 1879 to Harriet Catlin, and to them have been born four children - Gail, Mark Catlin, Florence, and Nathan Roy. His father was born in Scotland, in 1829, and came to America in 1835, and settled in Warren county in 1839. He was married in 1854 to Maria J. Cooper, of Warren county. To them have been born a family of three children - Robert E., N.J., and Allie.
McIntyre, A.G., Sugar Grove, is a general merchant of Sugar Grove borough, and was born in the town of Sugar Grove in 1859. He was a son of Robert and Eliza (Sands) McIntyre. Mr. McIntyre was a native of Scotland, and settled in Warren county in 1848. His wife was born in Ireland. They were married in Warren in 1854. Robert enlisted in the Seventy- second Regiment, Company B, N.Y. Volunteers, and was killed at the battle of Cold Harbor; he also served ten years of his early life in the British Army. He left a widow and two children - A.G. and Lizzie. A.G. Mcintyre has been town clerk and town treasurer. He became the successor of Messrs. Harris & McIntyre, who succeeded C.P. Harris in the business in 1882, as extensive dealers in dry goods, clothing, boots, shoes, and dealers in and shippers of farm produce.
McKean, David H., Cobham p.o., Deerfield, was born in Venango county, November 3, 1830. He was a son of William and Isabella (Russell) McKean, who were born in Pennsylvania and settled in Venango county; moved to Deerfield in 1856. He was born in Venango county in 1808, and died in 1870. His wife, Isabella, was born in Butler county in 1805. They had a family of nine children born to them. David H. McKean was married in 1850 to Martha M. Pratt, who was born in Bolesburg, Centre county, on April 15, 1830. They have had a family of nine children born to them - Helen Mar, Samuel, David Lee, Harper M., Emeline E., Flora M., Minnie I., Erwin W., and one, son who died at an early age. David H. McKean settled in Deerfield in 1850, and purchased his present homestead. At that time it was a dense forest, and erected his humble log cottage, which he has exchanged for a modern built home, by his persistent industry. He has for the last thirty- six years confined his labors to farming and lumbering. David H. erected a steam saw- mill in 1883 where he manufactures extensively all classes of lumber. His mill is accessible by a plank road one and a quarter miles from Cobham depot, what is now known as Conley Run. His son, Harper M., is now a partner in the lumber business. David H. McKean has held the office of justice of the peace for two terms, has also been assessor, school director, commissioner, and held other minor offices of his town.
McKelvey, David, West Spring p.o., Spring Creek, was born in the north of Ireland, and came to America in 1869, and settled in Warren county in 1876. He married Margaret Murphy, who was a native also of the north of Ireland. They had a family of six children - Thomas J., Amelia J., Adolphus, David, and George L. He is a farmer and now occupies a farm of 220 acres.
McKinney, Arthur, Youngsville p.o., Brokenstraw, was born in Brokenstraw township in 1814, on the farm where he now resides. In 1842 he married Susan Arthur, of Jamestown, N.Y., who was born in 1819, and who died November 12, 1885. They had a family of nine children, of whom six are now living, as follows: John W., Mary, Calender A., Charles E., Elery, and Grace. Calender A. married Bertha Tuttle in 1884, and they have one son, and a daughter named Emily. The latter married George Reavely, and died in 1877, leaving a daughter - Mabel - born in 1875. The family of father and six children all reside at the old homestead - but one married. Arthur was a son of John and Rebecca (Arthur) McKinney. She was born on the Susquehanna in Pennsylvania in 1784, and died July 25, 1852. John was born in Ulster county, Ireland, in 1770, came to Philadelphia in 1790, and labored as a farmer. In 1792 he carried the chain to survey Western Pennsylvania, including Warren county, with General Irvine, and in 1794 located 1,000 acres west of General Irvine's tract, where he settled and reared his family of nine children, but three of whom now survive, viz.: James, Susan (now the Widow Wade), and Arthur. John and Rebecca were married about 1800. He died in 1841, leaving each of his seven sons and daughters a large farm. Arthur now owns 680 acres of the original homestead; he became an extensive lumberman and farmer in early life, and retired in 1880.
McKinney, Arthur, Youngsville p.o., was born in Youngsville in 1831, and in 1855 married Annie Mary Brown, of Titusville, who was born in 1831. They have four children - William S., Harriet A., Nellie B., and Fred O.; they had one daughter, who died in April, 1880, aged seven years. Mrs. McKinney was a daughter of John and Jane (McCray) Brown, who were married in 1812. John was born in Westmoreland county in 1784, and died in 1871. They had six children, four of whom are now living, as follows: George W., Alexander, Oliver, and Annie Mary. Mrs. Brown died March 4, 1871. John Brown was the last of the eleven soldiers of the War of 1812 in town. Arthur McKinney was a son of John and Lorinda (Simmons) McKinney. John was born in Warren county in 1804, and Lorinda in Chenango county, N.Y., in 1806; they were married in 1829, and had seven children, two of whom are now living - Arthur, born in 1831, and James, born in 1850. John McKinney died in March, 1879. He held the office of sheriff of the county for three years, and of constable three years. He was a leading business man. His parents were John and Rebecca (Arthur) McKinney, who were very early settlers in Warren county. Three of their children are now living - James, Arthur, 1st, and Susan. Lorinda McKinney, wife of John, was a daughter of William and Prudence (Stewart) Simmons, of Oxford, N.Y. They settled in Jamestown, N.Y., in 1811, where they died. Of seven children, Lorinda is the only surviving one. James, 2d, married Olive Brown; she died leaving one child; she was a sister of Mrs. Arthur McKinney.
McKinney, James, Youngsville p.o., Brokenstraw, was born in Youngsville in 1850. He was a son of John, jr., and Lorinda (Simmons) McKinney. She was born in Oxford, Chenango county, N.Y., in 1806, and was married in 1829; they had a family of seven children, two of whom survive - Arthur and James. The father, John, jr., was born in Brokenstraw in 1804, and died in March, 1879; he was a prominent man in his county - sheriff three years, constable three years, and an active business man. John, jr., was a son of John and Rebecca (Arthur) McKinney. John was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, in 1770, settled in Philadelphia about 1790, and died in February, 1841. He was first a farmer, and then carried chain for Surveyor Irvine while he surveyed Warren county and other parts of Western Pennsylvania, and in 1794 or '95 he took up 1,000 acres west of the Irvine tract. He married about 1800, and had a family of nine children, but three of whom are now living - Arthur, James, and Susan. James McKinney, 2d, married Olive Brown in 1871. She died in 1882, leaving one child - Lurline. James married a second wife, Arlie E. Brown, in 1883. She was a daughter of Heman L. and Semantha (Bly) Brown. Heman L. died in 1865, leaving the one daughter - Arlie - and his widow married Alexander Brown. Olive, the first wife, was a daughter of John and Jane (McCray) Brown.
McKitrick, Hance, Lander p.o., Farmington, is a blacksmith, and was born in County Down, Ireland, December 29, 1842. He was a son of James and Isabelle (Stevenson) McKitrick, who immigrated to Canada in 1843,where Hance was reared and educated, and where he learned his trade. He came to Warren county in 1865, and worked as a journeyman up to 1873, when he located in Farmington and embarked in business for himself, a business which he has conducted up to the present time. He was married in 1871 to Ann L. Johnson, a daughter of Peter and Christina (Jones) Johnson, of Farmington, and by her has had two children - Fannie E. and Agnes J. Mr. McKitrick is now holding the office of town commissioner, and in politics he is Republican.
McMillen, Daniel J., Garland p.o., Pittsfield, was born in Conewango township in 1835. He was a ~on of Joseph and Patty (Leonard) McMillen. Patty was born in Warren county, and Joseph, her husband, was born in Venango county. They were married in Cattaraugus county, N.Y., and after this event settled in Warren county. They had a family of five children born to them, four of whom are now living - Robert, Daniel J., Worth, and Leroy. Patty died in 1884, at the age of seventy- eight years. His last wife was Carrie McMillen. James was an expert pilot on the Allegheny and Ohio Rivers, and afterward became an extensive lumberman and shipper. Daniel J. McMillen was married in 1872 to Maggie Irvine, of Freehold. They have had two children born to them - Anna, and D. Lee (who was drowned at the age of nine years). David J. became engaged in the mercantile business in Pittsfield, and in April, 1883, he came to Warren county and engaged in the general mercantile business, now doing business under the firm name of H.F. Andrews & Co.
McNett, Levi E., North Clarendon p.o., Mead, is a farmer, and was born in Painesville, O., June 14, 1834. He was a son of Levi and Eliza (Shepard) McNett; was reared in Chautauqua county, N.Y., from the age of two years, and came to Warren in 1854; worked some at his trade, that of cabinet- making, though he was principally engaged in lumbering up to 1881. He located in North Clarendon in 1875, and embarked in the clothing business in 1881, from which he retired in 1884. He was married in 1854 to Clara Cogswell, a daughter of Samuel H. and Mary (Arnett) Cogswell, of Warren. They have had a family of four children born to them - Eva (flow Mrs. L.P. Millard), Mary (now Mrs. J.A. Barnes), Samuel, and Charlie.
McWilliams, John L., Warren p.o., Conewango, was the youngest of the sons and daughters of William McWilliams, who came to Glade in 1851, from Canada. The family, however, were of Scottish birth, and emigrated from the mother country to the dominion in 1842. These children were Janet, Elizabeth, Alexander E., Jane, Christina, and John L. Their father died in Glade in 1860, and their mother died at the same place twenty- five years after. John L. McWilliams married Emma A. Zeigler, by whom he had two children. Mr. McWilliams is by trade a carpenter, but his time is devoted to oil producing, at which he has met with remarkable and deserved success. His farm of one hundred acres, near Glade Run, has seventeen producing wells at present, with an abundance of territory yet to be opened. Having commenced life with no capital Mr. McWilliams has by honesty and industry earned for himself a goodly competence. He has figured somewhat in the affairs of the town, and has frequently held town offices. In politics he favors the Prohibitionists, but in earlier years was a Democrat.
McWilliams, William, Warren p.o., Conewango, emigrated from Scotland about the year 1850, and settled in Canada, where he resided until 1855, when he settled in Glade. His third son, Alexander E., married Catherine Imhoof. They have had no children except by adoption. Mr. McWilliams is by trade a carpenter and joiner, but devotes most of his attention to oil producing, at which he is quite successful, owning and leasing extensively. In political life he is a strong Prohibitionist and an active worker in the cause. Both are members of the M.E. Church.
Marsh, Grant, Ackley Station p.o., Pine Grove, was born at-Granville, Washington county, N.Y., December 8, 1796. He came to Russellburg in the fall of 1822, two years later than his brother John. On October 31, 1830, Grant married Catherine Martin, a daughter of one of the earliest pioneers of the town. The children of Grant and Catherine Marsh were John, born July 26, 1831, died August 30, 1866; Benjamin, born June 21, 1833; James, born December 25, 1835, scalded and died April 13, 1837; James Grant, born February 5, 1838, and died June 3, 1879; Walter W., born December 14, 1839, now resides on the old home farm; Phebe Ann, born February 17, 1842, married Russel Marsh, of Dakota; Martin L., born February 27, 1844, now a resident of Dakota; and Martha, born February 12, 1846, married Luther Forbush. Catherine Marsh, wife of Grant Marsh, was born September 13, 1808, and died December 29, 1847. Grant Marsh died September 27, 1876. After the death of his first wife in 1847, Grant Marsh married Cornelia Loucks, by whom he had a child who died unnamed, Emily, born November 25, 1857, George W., born May 5, 1859, died from an accident October 18, 1883.
Mattison, Oren D., Matthew's Run p.o., Sugar Grove, was born in Washington county, N.Y., in 1833, and is a son of Christopher L. and Anna Allen Mattison. He was born in 1802, and died in 1867; she was born in 1805, and died in 1869. They were married in Washington county, N.Y., and with a family of five children settled in Chautauqua county in 1837, and in 1843 settled in Sugar Grove township, where they died. They had a family of eleven children, but four of whom survive, as follows: Thomas T., Oren D., Cornelia, and Sarah. Oren D. enlisted in Company G, Two Hundred and Eleventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, in 1864, and served to the close of the war. Edwin enlisted under the nine months call, and was wounded at Gettysburg. Chistopher was a graduated physician, but chose farming later in life. O.D. Mattison married, June 6, 1854, Sarah Smith, who was born in 1840. They have four children - Orvill J., Warren G., Melvina, and Erastus. Melvina married Perry Mead, and Warren G. married Ellen Covey. O.D. Mattison is a farmer; he has held the office of school director, and district offices.
Mead, Benjamin F., Warren p.o., Conewango, was born in Warren, on February 22, 1844. He was a son of Benjamin and Almena (Stebbins) Mead. His paternal grandfather, Joseph Mead, came from Northumberland county, and settled in Brokenstraw township, in this county, in 1799, where he engaged in farming and lumbering; later he moved to Conewango, purchased Mead Island (a place which still bears his name), and died on the farm now owned by James Mead, on March 3, 1846. His wife was Hannah Boone, a niece of the famous pioneer Kentuckian, Daniel Boone. He had a family of fourteen children - Eva, Benjamin, Ruth, David, John, Ruth (second), William, Sarah, Darius, Gooding, Boone, Elizabeth, Abigail, Benjamin Mead, Sr., was married on March 13, 1820, to Almena Stebbins. They had a family of seven children born to them - Abiram, Zerina, Roxy M., Caroline, Joel E., Maria C., and Benjamin F. He cleared the farm which he now occupies himself, and settled on the same about 1819. Benjamin F., jr., now resides with his father and carries on the homestead. He was married October 22, 1868, to Penuel Falconer. They have a family of four children - Willard, Wallace, Ralph, and Stewart. Penuel Mead was a daughter of James and Christina (Stuart) Falconer, of Sugar Grove township.
Mead, Darius, Youngsville p.o., was born at Youngsville in 1824. He was a son of John and Sarah Huffman Mead. John was born at Meadville in 1786, and died in 1870. Sarah was born at Susquehanna, and died at the age of sixty- two years. They were married in 1808. John settled in Brokenstraw township in 1806. They had thirteen children, the survivors of whom are named as follows: Philip, Eliza, Elsa, Chambers, John C., and Sarah (twins), Darius, Anna, Henrietta, Laura. Darius Mead married Kate Van Valkenburgh, of Erie, in 1885. He has held several county and town offices - county commissioner, school director, road commissioner, town treasurer, etc. He is a general lumber manufacturer and shipper and oil producer. His father was a soldier in the War of 1812, and his second wife drew his pension. She was Sarah E. Ireland.
Mead, G. Fillmore, Pittsfield p.o., Brokenstraw, was born in Brokenstraw township in 1827, and married Caroline Hotchkiss, of Crawford county in 1853. They have a family of six children - Helen De Ette, Nighton T., Mary A., Arlie C., Carry L., and Gaylord E. Helen D. was a graduate of, Chamberlain Institute, taught several years, and married J.R. Babcock. Mary A. was a graduate of Corry school; she also taught, and married Willis Eddy. Nighton T. was a graduate of the Allegheny College in 1884, and is now reading law. Arlie C. was also a graduate of the Allegheny College. Mrs. Caroline Mead was' a daughter of Rev. David and Abigail Hotchkiss; he was a Wesleyan M.E. cleryman and a missionary. G. Fillmore Mead was a son of Philip and Mary (Coover) Mead; they had seven children, five of whom are now living, as follows: William A., G. Fillmore, Wilber F., Stephen L., and Ulysses. Philip was born in 1794 and died in 1861; Mary, his wife, was born in 1793 and died in 1883. G. Fillmore Mead enlisted in the navy in September, 1864, and served under Captain Rice on the Reindeer, and was later transferred to the Abeona, under acting- master Samuel Hall, and was discharged at the close of the war.
Mead, John, Pittsfield p.o., was born in Brokenstraw township in 1808. He was a son of William and Susan (Davis) Mead. Susan was born at Northumberland, and William at Lancaster, and went with his parents to Franklin. William Mead was a son of John and Catharine (Foster) Mead, and John Mead, sr., was a son of Darius Mead, who was murdered by the Indians, and who left five sons - General David, John, Darius, Joseph, and Ansel. Joseph and Darius came to Warren county between 1798 and 1800; General David and John remained in Meadville, and Ansel went South. William Mead settled in Brokenstraw in r806 and married in 1807 Susan Davis. They had a family of eight children, four of whom are now living, as follows: John, born in 1808; Julia A., born in 1813; Drusilla, born in 1820; and Susan, born 1823. John Mead married in 1832 Mary Ransom, a daughter of Amasa and Abbie Ransom, of Brokenstraw. They had a family of nine children - Erastus, Rebecca, Harriet, Cordelia, Ransom, Joseph, Susan, Lillian, and Alice, and twenty- three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Erastus enlisted in 1862 and served to the close of the war. John settled on his homestead farm of 150 acres in 1838.
Mead, Nelson, Corydon p.o., the youngest of thirteen children, sons and daughters of John Mead, was born in Brokenstraw February 5, 1835. He lived in the vicinity of his native town until the year 1882, engaging in various branches of the mercantile and oil producing business, but with indifferent success. At that time having experienced all the turns of the oil business, he came to Corydon and opened a general store which is managed mainly by his younger sons. With his oldest child, under the firm style of N. Mead & Son, he purchased the timber on a tract of two thousand acres in Elk and Corydon townships and Cattaraugus county, N.Y. The firm operates two steam power mills with a producing capacity of nearly. 30,000 feet of lumber daily. Charles C. Mead, the oldest son and partner of his father, has been station agent of the B., N.Y. & P. Railroad at Corydon since the road was opened. In March, 1860, Nelson Mead united in marriage with Martha A. McDowell, of Youngsville, by whom he has had five children, four of whom are still living. Mr. Mead was one of the county commissioners in the years 1871, 1872 and 1873.
Mead, Wilbur F., Pittsfield p.o., Brokenstraw township, was born in Brokenstraw in 1830. He is a carpenter and builder, and also owns and occupies a part of the farm originally owned and improved by his father, Philip Mead. He is one of a family of six sons and one daughter, offspring of Philip and Mary (Coover) Mead, viz.: William A., Benjamin M., Susan D., G. Fillmore, Wilbur F., Stephen L., and Ulysses. Benjamin M. qualified himself for the practice of medicine, but died at the age of twenty- six years. Susan D. married Chester Kingsley, of Ripley, Chautauqua county, N.Y., and died leaving a family of seven children; those now living reside in Texas. Wilbur F. married Chloe A. Smith, daughter of Ammi and Edna L. (Morton) Smith, of Sugar Grove, in 1860. Chloe died in 1884, having had a family of five sons and two daughters, as follows: Orion S., the first- born, died at the age of fourteen months; De W., Jasper L., Rollin K., Edna C., Marcia M., and one who died in infancy. W.F. Mead was married the second time in 1885 to Adeline Benoit, of Randolph, Cattaraugus county, N.Y. In religious faith he identifies himself with the Wesleyan Methodists.
Mead, William A., Youngsville p.o., Brokenstraw - The family of Meads from whom the Meads of this county originated came from Connecticut to Wyoming county, and soon after, having difficulty with their land titles, came to Franklin, Venango county in 1789. Darius Mead, their father, was killed by the Indians in 1791. General David and John Mead came to Crawford county. Darius, jr., and Joseph Mead came to Warren county about 1799 and settled in Brokenstraw valley. General David died August 23, 1816. Joseph Mead, a brother of Darius, sold out his interest in the mills they built here and located near Warren in about 1814. William A. Mead's parents were Philip and Mary (Coover) Mead, both born in 1795. Their children were as follows: William A., Benjamin M., Susan D., G. Fillmore, Wilbur F., Stephen L., and Ulysses. Benjamin M. was fitted for the practice of medicine in the Buffalo Medical College, and died in the year 1845. Susan D. married in 1841 Chester Kingsley, now dead, having sons and daughters now living in Texas, two of them in the practice of medicine in San Antonio. William A. married Margaret E. Stranahan. Their children are Bessy F., Gibson, P., Louesa J. (who died at the age of ten years), and Chester K. Gibson is living on his father's farm and has the management of it. Chester is living in Des Moines, Ia., and has been manager of the Western Telephone Company of that city.
Merkle, William, of Limestone township, Warren county, now superintendent of the Economy Oil Company, was born Aug. 6, 1840, in Wurtemberg, Germany. His parents were Michael and Wilhelmina (Killinger) Merkle, emigrants from Germany to this country in 1853, residing at Economy, Beaver county, until August, 1854, whence they moved into Limestone township, purchasing a piece of wood land, and began to clear up a farm. In 1864 they entered into the employ of the Economy Oil Company, and are now living on their lands. Michael Merkle was born in May, 1809, and Wilhelmina his wife in January, 1814. They have had a family of six children - Magdalena, William, Mena, Michael, Jane, and Anna Helena, all of whom are now living. In the spring of 1886 William Merkle married Louesa Lineman, of Ashland township, Clarion county. They have had a family of seven children born to them, viz.: Mena L., William H., Paulena A., Rosa L., Lydia M., Jacob H., and Albert E. In early life William was employed in farming and lumbering, but in 1864 he entered into the employ of Economy Oil Company, having been with them steadily since, and is now superintending their business about Tidioute, where their property is located, it consisting of about 1,500 acres of timber and farming lands, and has also been noted for its rich production of oil in former years.
Merrihew, James W., Corydon p.o., came from Norwich, Chenango county, N.Y., to Corydon about the year 1841. His family consisted of a wife and four children, viz.: Mariette, who married William Black; Electa Ann, who married Braison Arthur; Lyman S. and James W., the latter being the only one of the family born in Corydon. James W. Merrihew was a farmer and lumberman, at which he was quite successful. He died in 1876. Lyman S. Merrihew married Eliza Crooks, daughter of John Crooks, by whom he had three children - Mary E., Ellen J., and Cynthia E. The success in life that Lyman S. Merrihew has attained is the result of his own personal effort, as he had no capital with which to start in life. His farm contains sixty- four acres of land. Although a Republican in politics, he is an active worker in the cause of temperance and is not bound by party ties when prohibition is an issue.
Merritt, Judge Charles C., Enterprise p.o., Southwest, was born in Hanover, Chautauqua county, N.Y., April 3, 1836. He was a son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Jewett) Merritt. The parents settled in Deerfield township in 1855, where Elizabeth died, leaving a family of seven children. Thomas had by his first wife, Folly Wright, a family of twelve children, making nineteen in all, fourteen of whom are now living, and all are now filling prominent positions, members of the clergy, and holding State and county offices. Two of the sons, served in the War of the Rebellion. Thomas Merritt was a soldier in the War of 1812. He was born in Connecticut and was married in Fabius, Onondaga county, N.Y., and after marriage settled in Chautauqua county, N.Y. Judge C.C. Merritt enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Forty- fifth Pennsylvania Regiment in August, 1862, and served to the close of the war; he was promoted to sergeant and then to captain, under Colonel Hiram Brown, of Erie. He was wounded in two engagements and was taken prisoner and held for ten months at Andersonville. He has been justice of the peace for three terms, was elected judge in 1885, and has also held other prominent positions in his town. He is one of the leading men of his town and county. He was married in July, 1856, to Esther L. Hunter. They have had three daughters born to them - Lovisa, Lorinda, and Grace. Esther L. was a daughter of Robert and Lovisa (Manross) Hunter, and her grandparents were Robert and Betsey Hunter, who came from Ireland and settled here about 1795.
Metzger, William H., Irvine p.o., Brokenstraw, was born in York county in 1834, and settled in Warren county in 1871, and with his brother, F.T. Metzger, erected the Revere House at Warren in 1872. They also ran in connection with this hotel the Irvine Hotel, until 1879, when William sold his interest to his brother and he embarked in the general mercantile business at Irvinton, where he now resides. He was postmaster for six years, from 1872 to 1878, and was in the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company from 1853 to 1864 as an engineer, and is now one of the oldest engineers of that road. He was a son of, John and Maria (Gardner) Metzger. John was born in Philadelphia in 1789, and Maria was born in Maryland in 1805. They were married in York county in 1831. He died in 1856. Six children are now living. William H. Metzger was married in 1871 to E.B. Allbright, of Westmoreland county, who was born in 1832. They have a family of three children - Edgar, Charles, and Bessie. The children of the parents now living are William H., Margaret, Frank T., 'Thomas E., George W., and Ella.
Miles, Joseph, Spring Creek p.o., was born in Spring Creek in 1825. He is a farmer and manufacturer of shingles, and owns a farm of thirty acres. He married Cordelia Odell, of Dunkirk, N.Y. They have a family of six children - Lucinda, La Fayette, Patterson, Henry Marquis, William Ernest, Frank Laton. Joseph was a son of Solomon Miles, who was born in Massachusetts, and served in the War of the Revolution, and settled in Warren county in 1814, and cleared a large farm there. He died in 1862. He married Betsey Crane, of Connecticut, who died in 1836, leaving a large family, four of whom are now living - Calvin, William, Joseph, and Delila.
Miller, Robert E., Lander p.o., Farmington, is a merchant and was born in Troy, N.Y., July 13, 1839. He was a son of Robert and Jeanette (Todd) Miller; the former was a native of Ireland, and his wife of Scotland. They settled in Farmington in 1834, on the farm now owned by J.H. Miller, which they cleared and improved and upon which they resided for many years. They had a family of seven children - James, who was killed at the battle of Peach Tree Creek, Ga., during the late war; Jane, Mrs. George Cramer; Rachel, Mrs W.B. West; John, deceased; William, Robert E., and Joseph H. Robert E. was brought up in Farmington; educated at the public schools of Meadville and Jamestown; was a successful teacher for nine years; entered the law office of Johnson & Brown in Warren, as a student, in the spring of 1862, hut like many others left his studies to enlist as second sergeant in Company F, Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was honorably discharged. He has, been director of the schools of his town for twelve years. Graduated in the C.L.S.C. class of 1883, and has always led the advance in all educational enterprises in Farmington. He entered the mercantile business at Lander in 1865, a business which he has successfully conducted up to the present time. He was elected treasurer of Warren county in 1874, serving a term of three years, and is now serving his fourth year as justice of the peace in Farmington. He was married September 10, 1868 to Martha A., a daughter of George and Emily (Foster) Ewers, who were among the early settlers of Farmington. They have had a family of four children born to them - Grant E., Emma J., Robert J., and Hugh E. Mix, Ashbel R., Landers p.o., Farmington, was born in what is now known as Farmington, March 22, 1842. He was a son of Horace and Sybil (Rowley) Mix. He was reared in Farmington, and was in the late War of the Rebellion, enlisting in 1861 in Company F, Ninth New York Cavalry. He participated in the second battle of Bull Run, battles of the Wilderness, Gettysburg, and was through the Potomac campaign on the Potomac, and Sheridan's raid to Richmond, and the battles in the Shenandoah Valley. He was honorably discharged after three years service. He and his brother Horace bought a saw- mill in 1865, on Jackson Run, which in 1868 was burnt down. They immediately rebuilt the mill, and he sold his interest to his brother Horace Mix, and after that engaged in farming until 1883, when he built a saw, planing, and grist- mill at Farmington Center, with Elmer Hodge, and since January 1, 1885, he has been sole proprietor. Mr. Mix was married in 1864 to Sallie Cooper, of Farmington. They have had a family of three children born to them - Luvern, drowned at the outlet of Chautauqua Lake, Jamestown, N.Y., September 10, 1885; Emmett, born August 13, 1870; Delbert, born in 1883, and died of pneumonia March 26, 1884. Mrs. Mix was a daughter of Abigail and Harvey Cooper. Her mother, Mrs. Cooper, died June 23, 1886, very suddenly, with blood poisoning caused by the overflow of the gall, at Chautauqua, N.Y. She was brought to Farmington for burial June 25, 1886. She was born April 10, 1825, and was the oldest daughter of Peter Burgett. She married Harvey Cooper in 1842. She practiced medicine for many years and was very successful. Her name stands on record at the Prothonotary's office at Warren.
Morgan, A.T., Lottsville p.o., Freehold, was born in Chenango county, N.Y., in 1829, and settled in Warren county in 1845. He was married in 1862 to Mary Mathews, who died in 1867, leaving one child - Effie E., who is now teaching at Columbus. In 1871 he again married Mrs. Ann Maria Mathews, by whom also he had one child - Marion. Mr. Morgan is a shoemaker by trade, but now gives his entire attention to farming. He has been town collector and constable for a number of years. His father, Sanford Morgan, married Elizabeth Newton and died in 1849.
Morian, Thomas V.S., Enterprise, p.o., Southwest, a general merchant, lumber manufacturer, and shipper, oil dealer and producer, was born in Danville, Steuben county, N.Y., in 1819. He was married in 1842 to Clarinda Wood, of Pomfret, Cattaraugus county, N.Y. They have had a family of three sons and one daughter born to them - Eva, Carlos C., Herbert T., and Eli B. Thomas V.S. Morian came here in 1845 as a clerk in the branch store of C. Smith, and in 1847 he built his present store, and became engaged in the general mercantile trade. He retired from his lumber business in 1860, and then became engaged in the oil business, producing and shipping the same. He was an expert and successful river pilot, and did a large shipping business in oil from Oil City to Pittsburgh. He was a son of Jacob and Lydia (Van Scoter) Morian. His parents died in Chautauqua county. Jacob died in 1862, and Lydia, his wife, in 1869. They had a family of nine children born to them, seven of whom are now living. Jacob was born in Germany in March, 1782, and settled in Philadelphia, and then went to Steuben county, N.Y. He served in the War of 1812. He settled with his family in Chautauqua county, N.Y., in 1830, where he died. His children now living are - Anthony, John, Margaret, Thomas, Lydia, and Catherine.
Morrison, Hugh, Tidioute, p.o., Deerfield, was born in Venango county in 1819. He was a son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Hunter) Morrison, who had a family of ten children born to them, four of whom are now living - Hugh, Robert H., Elizabeth, and Isabella. His second wife was Margaret Hunter, by whom he had a family of four children, three of whom are now living - Nathan P., Matthew J., and Margaret M. The parents settled in Deerfield in 1832. His second wife, Margaret, died in 1878. Thomas was in the War of 1812, and was a prominent man of his town. He was also an extensive farmer and lumberman. Hugh Morrison married Martha McGuire, of Tidioute, in 1844; she died December 17, 1851, leaving a family of three children - Adelia, Samuel J., and Thomas Edson. Hugh then married his second wife, Jane P. Holeman, of Venango county, was born in 1827, and married in 1853. He has had one son by his second marriage - Ashbel Wilson, Mrs. Morrison was a daughter of Alexander Holeman. Hugh has been school director, road commissioner, and is now engaged in farming.
One of the earliest of the old pioneer families of Warren county was that of James Morrison, a soldier of the Revolutionary War. The, family came to that part of the county on which Warren borough now stands, when only three log huts marked the place. They built a log house near the old fort, where the family stayed until 1804, when they moved to Kinzua. At the latter place one of the sons of James Morrison, Abel Morrison, who was born in Lycoming county, August 3, 1795, married Lucinda Richards, a daughter of James Richards, and in the fall of 1827 moved to Corydon. Lucinda Richards was born in Lisle, Broome county, N.Y., January 23, 1801. The children of this marriage were Nancy, born January 15, 1819, married first Amos. Flatt, who died, and second, John B., Carr, who was killed during the late war; John Wesley, born July 15, 1820, died August 16, 1825; Alanson O., born February 21, 1832, married January 24, 1846, to Ann E. Enos; Fanny, born January 15, 1824, married September 8, 1841, to E.R. Covell, and died December 14, 1881; James R., born April 10, 1826; Martha, born May 9, 1828, being the first white female child born in Corydon, married Jarvis L. Forbes; Flavius Josephus, born September 23, 1832, married December 18, 1856, to Sarah E. Bradley; Ellen J., born January 16, 1835, married Henry E. Converse, April 27, 1851, and died October 11, 1871; Adeline, born March 15, 1837, married Robert M. Patterson; William Henry, born March 8, 1841. Abel Morrison was an extensive lumberman and farmer, and in every respect a self- made man. He died Christmas day, 1874. His widow, Lucinda, still occupies the old family residence with her son, William H., who is the youngest child. Lucinda Morrison possesses a remarkable memory. Every name and date given above was furnished by her entirely from memory, and a subsequent comparison with the family record disclosed not a single error. Indeed, so wonderfully does she retain dates and events of earlier days that she is a standard authority on all questions arising concerning them, and she has yet to be found in error. She is now in her eighty- sixth year. Of her children, three - Alanson G., James R., and William H. - were soldiers in the late war. Three of her sons- in- law, and three of her grandsons, also served in the army. This certainly shows that patriotism runs in the family. James R. Morrison married February 13, to Sarah F. Walker.
Morrison, Rice, Corydon, was born in Lycoming county December 11, 1798. He came with the family of his father, James Morrison, and settled in Warren in the year 180i. In this family were eleven children, and all of them grew to be men and women. Rice was the oldest child; he came to Kinzua and built a mill about the year 1817. He was married in 1822 to Dolly Richards. Their children were Eliza Ann, deceased; Abigail, who married Windsor Knapp, both of whom are now dead; Maria L., deceased; Warren L.5, Helen A., Cynthia E., who married Charles Sparks. Warren L. and Helen reside in Corydon village with their aged mother, now in her eighty- fourth year. Rice Morrison died March 20, 1884, in the eighty- sixth year of his age. For many years he was a pilot on the Allegheny River. He was also an extensive lumberman. In politics he was a radical Democrat. His wife, Dolly Richards, was born in Lisle, Broome county, N.Y., September 26, 1802.
Morton, Charles, Spring Creek, was born in Poland, Chautauqua county, N.Y., in 1844. He was a son of Stutely and Abigail (Howe) Morton. Abigail died in 1859, aged thirty- nine years. She left a family of twelve children, nine of whom are now living. Charles Morton enlisted in 1864, at Cold Spring, Cattaraugus county, N.Y., in the 9th N.Y. Cavalry, and settled in Warren county in 1865. He married Flora Clark, of Spartanburg, by whom he had one child - Philip Sheridan. He now owns a large saw and planing- mill.
Morton, Dexter, Spring Creek, was born in Orangeville, Wyoming county, N.Y., in 1829. He was a son of Samuel and Sarah (Wyman) Morton. Samuel was born in Massachusetts in 1786, and served in the War of 1812. He died in Spring Creek in 1868, and his wife Sarah was born in 1791, and died in 1882, leaving a family of nine children, seven of whom are now living. Dexter Morton married Harriet Jobes in 1850. She died in 1852 leaving two children, both of whom are now dead. Mr. Morton married his second wife, Louisa Jackson, in 1854. She died in 1871 leaving a family of three children - Elovine, Fayette, and Elwin D. He was married the third time in 1871, to Mary McCray, and to them have been born, two children - William and Mayola. He is a farmer, and owns and occupies a farm of 110 acres.
Morton, William H., West Spring Creek p.o., was born in West Spring Creek in 1848, and married in 1880 Sarah Jenks, who was born in Spring Creek in 1862. He was a son of Harrison and Eliza (Matteson) Morton. The former was born in Niagara county, N.Y., in 1812, and the latter in Herkimer county, N.Y., in 1809, and died in 1862, leaving three children - Laura A., Harriet J., and William H. He owns a farm of fifty acres.
Mowris, Thomas, Warren p.o., Glade. Peter Mowris with his wife and six children came to Warren county in June, 1842, from Ulster county, N.Y. These children were William, Thomas, Benjamin, Sarah, Phebe, and John. Peter Mowris died in 1881, and his wife in 1886. Thomas Mowris, the second child, resides on a farm on the Conewango River in Glade, a few miles north from Warren. He married Amy Luckins, daughter of Isaac Luckins. They have no children. Thomas Mowris is a substantial farmer, having 130 acres of land well located. He has lived in Glade since 1865. Mr. M. has never taken an active part in politics, nor is he identified with any church society.
Mudge, E. W., West Spring Creek p.o., was born in Otsego county, N.Y., in 1822. He was a school teacher for a number of years, and has held the office of county auditor and appraiser. He married Edna L. Morse, of Orleans county, N.Y. They have had one child born to them, Elmer E. E.W. Mudge was a son of Israel and Rebecca (Thomas) Mudge. Israel was born in Otsego county, N.Y., in 1794, and died in 1878. They had a family of seven children born to them, six of whom are now living. One of their sons, Henry A., was in Company 1, One Hundred and Fiftieth Regiment, and was killed at the battle of Gettysburg.
Murphy, James, Conewango p.o., is a farmer, and was born in Wayne county, on May 1, 1835. He was a son of Patrick and Elizabeth (Halligan) Murphy. His father was a native of county Kildare, Ireland, and his mother a native of county Armagh. They were early settlers in Wayne county, where they resided until the time of their deaths. James Murphy was reared in Wayne county and came to Warren county in 1872. After coming here he worked in the woods at lumbering for some years. He settled in Conewango in 1882, on the farm on which; he now resides. He was married in 1871 to Helen Egan, and to them have been born eight children - Mary, Celia, William, James, Margaret, Edward, John, and Thomas. Helen Murphy was a daughter of James and Mary A. (Carroll) Egan, of Wayne county. Mr. Murphy and his wife are members of the Catholic Church. He is independent in politics.
Murray, George K., Youngsville p.o., Brokenstraw, a general jeweler, fancy goods dealer, and practical watchmaker, settled in Youngsville, January, 1886, and now deals in a full line of plated and silver ware, and has a fine assortment of stationery and fancy goods, and carries a full line of fine cigars. He was married in 1885 to Mollie Wood. George K. Murray was a son of W.A. and Mary A. (Kleckner) Murray, of'Logansville, Clinton county, who now reside in Milton. She was born in 1822, and her husband, W.A., was born in 1824. They have had a family of nine children. W.A. Murray is a farmer, lumberman, and is also engaged in the tanning, furniture, and distilling business.
Murray, jr., Thomas, Columbus, is a general farmer and cooper. He was born in county Merritt, Ireland, in 1831, and is a son of Thomas and Ann Colwell - Murray. Thomas, Sr., died in Ireland, leaving a widow and two sons - Philip and Thomas, jr. His widow married Thomas Kenan; they immigrated to America and settled in Oneida county, N.Y., where she died. They had a family of eight children. Thomas Murray, jr., settled in Warren county in 1864, and in 1861 married Emily Trussler, born in England, in 1832. They have two sons - William R. and Philip F. Mr. Murray purchased his present homestead of ninety- five acres in 1876, and erected his dwelling and other buildings.
Myers, M.A., West Spring Creek p.o., was born in Panama, Chautauqua county, N.Y., in 1861, and is a son of Clark A., and Elsie Jane (Stevens) Myers, both of Oneida county, N.Y. Clark A., was born in 1836. They had three children - George W., M.A., and Lettie B. M.A. has held the office of town clerk, and keeps a large and well- stocked general store; he is proprietor of a handle and shingle- mill, and deals extensively in lumber.
Newman, William Davis, Fentonville (N.Y.) p.o., was born April r8, 1821, in Niagara county, N.Y. During infancy he was adopted by a family and taken to Ellery, N.Y.; thence to Frew Run, and in 1856 to Pine Grove. He married Matilda Stoddard, and by her had five children - Josephine, Nettie, James M., Ellen, and Jennie. Mr. Newman is strictly a self- made man, and in reasonably comfortable circumstances. His farm is well located in the north part of the town. He is a Republican from choice, but not a member of any church society.
Neyhart, Adnah, was born in Lansing, Tompkins county, N.Y., December 20, 1030, and was married in 1868 to Maria J. Grandin, of Tidioute. They have had two children born to them - Emma Grandin and Adnah, jr. Mr. Neyhart settled in Warren county in 1865, and died in San Diego, Cal., in February, 1875. Mrs. Neyhart was a daughter of Samuel and Sarah Ann (Henry) Grandin, who were married in Pennsylvania in 1832. Sarah Ann was born in October, 1807, and her husband Samuel was born in Sussex county, N.J., in October, 1800. They were married in 1832, and settled in Pennsylvania in June, 1822. They had a family of six children born to them, four of whom are now living - John L., William J., Elijah B., and Maria J. Stephen G., the oldest son, was drowned July 24, 1851, at the age of sixteen years, and Emma A. died August 17, 1867, at the age of eighteen years. Samuel Grandin settled in Tidioute in 1840, coming here from Venango county, and embarked in an extensive lumber and mercantile business. He was also one of the pioneers in the oil business, in all its various forms, and of which he made a great success.
Nichols, C.W., Spring Creek, was born in Spring Creek in 1849. He is a manufacturer of lumber and shingles, and a farmer, owns several hundred acres of timber land, and has done very much to advance the business interests of the town. He was married in 1876 to Mary A. Catlin. They have had four children born to them - Helen, Irene, Rue, and Bessie. His father, Calvin Nichols, was born in Genesee county, N.Y., in 1822, and married Irene Sanford, who was born in Batavia, Genesee county, N.Y., in 1827. They had a family of six children born to them - C.W., Mary, Flora, Orley, Etta, and Dewey. C.W.'s paternal grandfather, Samuel Nichols, was born in New Hampshire in 1794, and served in the War of 1812. He married S. Townsind, and to them were born nine children, five of whom are now living - Nancy, Calvin, Ira, Ratio, and Clarissa.
Nobbs, William C., Lander p.o., Farmington, is a farmer, carpenter and joiner, and was born at the Isle of Wight, England, December 16, 1835. He was a son of William and Mary (Lakeman) Nobbs, who immigrated to Canada in 1842, and settled in Pine Grove, this county, in the same year. William Nobbs, Sr., was a basket- maker by trade, which he followed for many years. He located in Farmington in 1861, where he resided until his death, in 1884. His children were -- Mary, Phillips, Ann, Marsh, William C., Stephen, and Jennette. William C. Nobbs is a carpenter and joiner by trade, a business which he followed for many years. In 1886 he purchased the James Cooper farm in Farmington and engaged 'in farming where he now resides. He was married July 4, 1861, to Betsey Marsh, a daughter of Aralzeman and Rachel (Grawbarger) Marsh, of Elk township. They have had a family of four children born to them-- Irene, Myrtle, Emma, and Everett.