Casselman, Somerset County

Created: Saturday, 28 March 2015 Last Updated: Saturday, 28 March 2015 Written by Administrator Print Email

Casselman borough was laid out in 1869 by L. L. Wolfersberger and David J. Phillippi, who owned the site of the town. The town was platted on a large scale, there being 385 lots, besides twenty-eight large outlots between the railroad and the river, intended for manufacturing sites. A public sale of lots was held, and a considerable number were disposed of, but the town has been very slow in building up.

The first house was built by Levi L. Wolfersberger in 1869. The first store was opened by John R. Weimer in the same year. Casselman was incorporated as a borough in 1891. Charles Barnes was the first burgess. His successors have been: H. H. Wilt, William D. Zufall, C. C. Wilmot, L. L. Weimer, Charles Barnes, J. C. Liphart, William D. Zufall.

In 1884 Casselman contained two stores, one blacksmith shop and shoemaker shop. A shookshop erected by Weakland & Nutter in 1873 gave employed to six hands. A steam sawmill was operated by C. Berkley and Isaac Grossuch. Jacob Hochstetler, a resident of Casselman, operated a coalbank near the village and also owned a lime quarry selling a large quantity of limestone. William Zufall and B. F. Snyder operated a quarry and kiln.

The town is a point from which considerable lumber, railroad ties, bark and charcoal are shipped. The land about it is also under laid with coal. A mine was opened four or five years ago (c1902), miner's houses were built, and it looked as though the town would at last take a start. But the work suddenly stopped.

The present population (1906) is estimated at 200.