Buckstown, Somerset County

Created: Saturday, 28 March 2015 Last Updated: Saturday, 28 March 2015 Written by Administrator Print Email

Buckstown is a quiet little hamlet of fifteen or twenty houses on the "The Pike." It is usually associated with Shade township, but as a matter of fact the north side only of its single street is in this township, the south side being in Stony Creek township.

The village, which is about six miles east of Stoyestown, dates from about 1824, perhaps earlier. John Lambert, a frugal farmer, built a house here. After the turnpike was opened, Lambert built houses and shops for several mechanics. William Small was the first blacksmith, and a man named Buck was a wagon maker. A store was built and leased to John Statler, who gave the name Buckstown in honor of his friend, the wagon maker, and there is a tradition that he received a sound thrashing for having done so. While the travel kept up on the pike the place enjoyed a fair degree of prosperity. There is a post office and a single church.

It is to be noted that William Reel, John B. Richardson, Charles W. Williamson and David E. Wagner, all of whom reside or did reside within a mile and a half of the village, have held the office of county commissioner, Mr. Reel serving two terms.