Boynton, Somerset County

Created: Saturday, 28 March 2015 Last Updated: Saturday, 28 March 2015 Written by Administrator Print Email

Boynton, in the eastern part of the township, was named for Jonathan Boynton, the founder of the town. It was built on the Douglas Boyd farm in 1880 after Dill Watson & Company located their large steam saw mill near the old sugar camp of the farm. Some lots were sold and fifteen or twenty houses were built.

Later, the Maust Lumber Company located a sawmill there. A plant for the manufacture of traction engines was operated in the village by a group of local capitalists, of which Harvey Maust was president.

A post office, store, church and school house were in the village. The post office, which was established in 1884, had George S. Young as its first postmaster.