Barronvale, Somerset County

Created: Saturday, 28 March 2015 Last Updated: Saturday, 28 March 2015 Written by Administrator Print Email

Barronvale was a small village in the southern part of the township. It was here that John Koozer established his gristmill in 1806, and the village eventually grew around it. The Barronvale covered bridge, built in 1830, is located here.

H. L. Martz had a grocery and general merchandise store which also housed the post office. The post office closed in 1928 and the store burned down soon afterward. The Mill School, established in the 1860s, closed in 1954.

Today (2005) Barronvale proper consists of one house that has been restored and is used as a summer home.

(Source: Rockwood Area Historical & Genealogical Society)