Addison Borough, Somerset County

Created: Saturday, 28 March 2015 Last Updated: Saturday, 28 March 2015 Written by Administrator Print Email

Formerly called Petersburg, it was renamed Addison for Judge Alexander Addison who was the first president judge of Somerset County.

Originally founded in 1798, it was laid out as a small town in 1817 by Peter Augustine and received the name of Petersburg in honor of his first name.

When the post office was established, the town was renamed Addison

Like Somerfield (Smithfield), it was once a busy stage town on the Old National Road.

Addison Borough was incorporated in 1912. In 1930, it had a population of 184 persons.

For the borough's full history, see Petersburg