Biographical and Historical Books
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES- ROULETTE, HOMER, PORTAGE (AND BOROUGH OF AUSTIN) AND WHARTON TOWNSHIPS
MRS. PRUDENCE L. BOYINGTON, daughter of Burrel and Dorcas (Irons) Lyman, was born in Roulette, Potter Co., Penn., in 1830. After leaving school she taught several years, and was a very successful teacher in Potter county. But the early difficulties Mrs. Boyington passed through in studying to become a teacher were many and great. Her compensation for teaching her first school was $1 per week in summer and $2.50 in winter, with her "board around" added. Often she had to walk a mile and a half through deep snow to reach the place where she temporarily took her meals and found a lodging. She married William J. Boyington March 13, 1851, after which they located at Hebron, where her husband was engaged as lumberman, eventually removing to Roulette, and in 1858 she became proprietress of the Roulette Hotel, a business she still continues. Their children are Mary A. (Mrs. Clinton S. Corthell, of Findlay, Ohio), Dora E., Nellie P., and Gertrude G. (now Mrs. J.K. Regan, of Salamanca). Mr. Boyington is a member of Eulalia Lodge, No. 342, F. & A.M.; he is a Democrat in politics, and was postmaster eight years. He was born in Randolph, N.Y. in 1826. His parents removed to Olean; from there to Wisconsin, where his mother died. His father returned to Olean, where he died in 1888, at the advanced age of eighty-four years; their children were William J., Esther and Hiram.
BELDIN BURT, merchant, Burtville, son of J.K. and Orrilla (Lyman) Burt, was born in Burtville, Potter Co., Penn., in 1841. His grandfather, Benjamin Burt, was born in Chemung county, N.Y., and there married Mercy Rickey. In 1808 he came to what is now Burtville, at that time a wilderness, engaged in farming and in the lumber trade, and erected the first mill at that point. He rafted his lumber down the river to Pittsburgh, where he received $2.50 or $3 per thousand for it, which was usually expended in family supplies; these were loaded in a canoe and polled up stream. His children were Elisha, J.K., Sarah, Israel, Elizabeth, Joanna, Hannah and Benjamin, all deceased excepting the first four. J.K. Burt, who has the proud distinction of being the first white male child born in Potter county, was born in Roulette township in 1811, at a time when there were no educational advantages, and when the country was absolutely wild. He married Orrilla, daughter of Burrel Lyman, of Roulette, in 1837, and located at Burtville, where he engaged in farming. His family consisted of thirteen children, of whom five are deceased. Those living are Lyman, Beldin, Benjamin, John C., Hugh, Aden, Alice (Mrs. C.E. Grover, of Port Allegany) and Annis (Mrs. A.H. Coleman, of Burtville). Beldin Burt remained at Burtville with his parents until twenty-one years o1d. He then began life for himself, and has since been successfully engaged in the general mercantile business, and has also dealt extensively in lumber. In 1871 he married Annis, daughter of George Taggart, late of Emporium, and their children are Guy, George and Flora. Mr. Burt is a member of Eulalia Lodge, No. 342, F. & A.M. He is a Democrat, and although he takes an active interest in politics, he is not an office-seeker.
GEORGE EIMER, merchant, Roulette, son of John and Catherine Eimer, was born in Germany in 1860, and came to America with his parents, in 1868, locating at Yonkers, N.Y., where they remained about a year, and then removed to Roulette, Potter Co., Penn., where the father purchased a tract of land and engaged in business as a farmer and lumberman, and where they still live. They have four children: George, Conrad, Francis and Mary. George made his home with his parents until 1886, when he came to the village of Roulette, and became associated with E.C. Gale, of Wellsville, N.Y., in the hardware trade, the firm name being Eimer & Co. In 1887 he married Anna Helwig, and they have one child, Katie. The family are members of the Lutheran Church. In politics Mr. Eimer is a Democrat. He has been town clerk for the past three years, and is still an incumbent of that office.
E.R. GRIMES, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of J.B. and Anna (Bennett) Grimes, was born in Towanda, Bradford Co., Penn., in 1832, and with his parents came to McKean county, and located in Liberty township, where his father improved a farm, and at his death was one of the well-to-do citizens. His family consisted of ten children: Jane, now Mrs. E. Lillibridge, of Port Allegany; Louisa, now Mrs. B. Card, of Roulette; E.R.; Elias; Caroline, now Mrs. G. Stickles; William W.; Abigail, now Mrs. B.G. Maine, of West Branch, Penn.; Samuel; Lester, and Ella, now Mrs. Z. Sherwood. E.R. Grimes made his home with his parents until 1853, and then became one of the firm of Dolley & Grimes, lumbermen, at which he continued five or six years, after which he located on the farm he now owns in Roulette, and has devoted the most of his attention to farming, although he has also been quite extensively engaged in the lumber business. Mr. Grimes was one of the noted hunters of this portion of the State, having a natural inclination in that direction, and has pursued that sport every year since he was a boy of twelve years. He has killed deer every year but one, and in the winter of 1888 killed eight; has also killed many bear and wildcats, and is as familiar with the woods as any man living. He was married, August 16, 1855, to Eunice Burton, of Crawford county, Penn., and their children are Helen M., now Mrs. William Lehman, of Sartwell Creek; W.R.; Delphina, now Mrs. Peter J. Weipper, and Eddie M. In politics Mr. Grimes is a Democrat, and has held various official positions.
WILLIAM H. HAZEN, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of George G. and Eliza A. (Remmele) Hazen, was born in Stewardson township, Potter Co., Penn., in 1842. His father located there at an early day and engaged in the lumber trade until his removal to Coudersport, and a little later to Roulette, where he was in the lumber business for fifteen or twenty years. He then purchased a farm in Liberty township, McKean county, where he still has his residence. Mrs. Hazen died in July, 1881. Their children were William H., Charles A., and Mary A., who died when six years of age. William H. remained an inmate of the parental home until after the breaking out of the Civil war, when he enlisted, in August, 1862, in Company K, One Hundred and Forty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was mustered out of the service in June, 1865. He then returned to Roulette, where he has since lived. He worked at the carpenter' s trade a number of years, and was also in the lumber business until 1881, when he bought the farm where he now lives. In May, 1872, he married Luzerne, daughter of George Weimer; she died October 31, 1879, leaving two children, Glenn W. and Carl S. In 1882 Mr. Hazen married Esther E. French, daughter of Nehemiah French, and they have one child, Warren N. Mr.Hazen is a member of Eulalia Lodge, No. 342, F. & A.M., and of A.F. Jones Post, No. 204, G.A.R. In politics he is a Republican. Mrs. Hazen's father, Neheiniah French, settled in Port Allegany in 1856. He was a farmer and lumberman. He married Margaret Shaff, who died in 1851, leaving three children: Sarah D., Martha R. and William H. September 5, 1852, he took for his second wife Olive I. Samson, who died December 10, 1887, leaving two children, John C. and Esther E. Mr. French now makes his home with Mr. and Mrs. Hazen.
M.V. LARRABEE, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of Willett and Rosanna (Smith) Larrabee, was born in Almond, Allegany Co., N.Y., in 1837. He was reared and educated in Whitesville until twelve years of age, when he was thrown upon his own resources. He engaged in various occupations, among others as baggageman and fireman on the Erie Railroad from 1854 to 1856, remaining in Whitesville until 1862, when he removed to Potter county, Penn., and in 1868 located on the farm he now owns in Roulette township, and has since been engaged in farming, and has also dealt extensively in lumber. He was married, September 8, 1858, to Eugenia, daughter of Franklyn Forsyth, of Allegany county, N.Y., and they have had four children: Charlotte (now Mrs. B.F. Begell, of Harrison Valley), Laura (now Mrs. O.E. Marsh, of Collins Centre, Erie Co., N.Y.), Fred, and Frank (who died in December, 1888, aged fourteen years and nine months). Mr. Larrabee is a member of Eulalia Lodge, No. 342. F. & A.M. He is in politics a Republican, and is active in political circles. He was elected county treasurer in 1877, served one term of three years, and has occupied various official positions in the township. He is one of its able and respected citizens, and is always among the first to assist any enterprise of material benefit to either township or county.
JOHN M. LYMAN, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of Isaac and Minerva (Cole) Lyman, was born in Roulette, Potter Co., Penn., in 1833. His parents removed to Mercer county and there his father died in 1838. The widow with the family returned to Roulette, where she married Garrett Fosmer, after which the subject of our sketch lived with Nelson Clark for a year, and with James Nelson until he was twenty years of age. In 1855 he married Barbara Witheredge and located in Roulette, where he engaged in business as a farmer and lumberman. His wife died in 1872, leaving four children: Watson A., Lenora, Jennie and Minnie. Mr. Lyman afterward married Miss Ada Wilkinson, and their children are Rosa M., Carrie, Ethel and Ina P. Mr. Lyman in his political views is a Democrat, and has served as constable nine years, and justice of the peace ten years. He is one of the enterprising men of Roulette, and stands high in the community in which he lives.
DON F. MANNING, blacksmith, P.O. Roulette, son of Perry and Margaret (Weimer) Manning, was born in Liberty township, McKean Co., Penn., in 1854. His parents were among the pioneers of that township, where they still live, his father being a prominent farmer and lumberman. They have had a family of seven children, viz.: Annis, Don F., Mark (who died of typhoid fever July 27, 1889), Lettie, Will, Charles and Minnie. Don F. worked at various occupations and made his home with his parents until 1876, when he learned the blacksmith' s trade, and located at Roulette. February 5, 1879, he married Nora Lyman, and has one child, Iva. Mr. Manning is a member of Roulette Lodge, No. 322, I.O.O.F. He is a Democrat in his political views, and for the past two years has been treasurer of the township. He is a prosperous, public-spirited citizen, and is a popular officer, performing his duties efficiently and satisfactorily.
MILES MARSH, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of Luther S. and Betsy (Edson) Marsh, was born in Barton, Tioga Co., N.Y., in 1844, and with his parents located in Roulette, Potter Co., Penn., in 1857. His father was a mason by trade, but after locating in Potter county engaged in farming. Of his family of nine children, seven are living: Miles, Levi, Albert, Olive, Mary, Julia and Josephine; a son, Thomas, died from the effects of injuries received by falling into a body of water, and one died in infancy. Miles made his home with his parents until in 1861, when he enlisted in Company G, Fifty-third Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was wounded in the head by a saber cut, at the battle near Culpeper Court House, Va., but remained in the service, however, until the expiration of his term of enlistment, and was mustered out in the Shenandoah Valley, October 19, 1864, when he returned to Roulette and engaged in various occupations. In 1865 he married Dorcas, daughter of George Weimer. After his marriage he removed to Michigan, where he was engaged in a saw-mill for a couple of years, when he returned to Roulette and purchased the property he now owns, and built a planing-mill, which is operated by his oldest son. Mr. and Mrs. Marsh have four children: Willie, Fred, Minnie and Minerva. Mr. Marsh is a member of A. F. Jones Post, No. 204, G.A.R., and Roulette Lodge, No. 322, I.O.O.F.; his son is also a member of the I.O.O.F. Mr. Marsh has held various official positions in the township.
L.D. REYNOLDS, merchant, Roulette, son of William C. and Orpha (Stillman) Reynolds, was born in Hebron township, Potter Co., Penn., in 1858. Foster and Fannie (Potter) Reynolds, grandparents of L.D., were among the pioneers of the county, and located in Hebron about 1830, where Foster engaged in farming, and was a millwright by trade. Their children were William C., Stephen P., Henry T., Sarah and Celestia. William C. Reynolds was born in Allegany county, N.Y.; came with his parents to Hebron township, and in 1855 married and located there, engaging in farming. Lamont D. was the only child. Mrs. Reynolds died in February, 1888, and Mr. Reynolds still remains there, and has been in various ways identified with that part of the county. L.D. Reynolds engaged in teaching for six years, then in 1885 began the mercantile business at Millport, and in the same year married Hattie L. Eastman, of Wellsboro, Tioga Co., Penn. Two years thereafter he removed to Roulette and established a general merchandise store, where he is conducting a constantly growing business. He is a member of Roulette Lodge, I.O.O.F. and also of the K.O.T.M. In politics he is a Republican. He has two children: Francis W. and Grace G.
A.J. TUCKER, of Roulette, was from 1860 to 1886 successfully engaged in the tanning business in Halifax, Vt. He is the resident member at Roulette of the firm of A.J. Tucker & Co., proprietors of the extensive tannery at that place (of which mention is made in the chapter devoted to Roulette township). The other members of the firm are W.T. Jackson and Henry Taggard, both commission merchants in the leather business at 244 Purchase street, Boston, Mass. They manufacture wax and grain leather exclusively, and do first class work, the usual output of the tannery being an average of 300 sides per day. The plant at Roulette consists of a ten-acre plat of ground, with a main building 120 feet long by 45 feet wide, having a wing 110 feet long by 45 feet wide, the entire building being two and a half stories high. Besides these there are bark, leach and boiler houses, all in separate buildings, and well adapted to their use. The tannery has a capacity of 300 sides per day, and the firm employs about sixty-five men, using from 2,500 to 3,000 cords of bark per year. The entire business is under the exclusive management of Mr. A.J. Tucker.
O.R. WEBB, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of Timothy and Lucina (Grimes) Webb, was born in Liberty township; McKean Co., Penn., in 1831. His maternal grandfather, Samuel Grimes, was a pioneer of that county, and settled in Liberty township about 1825. He was a native of New Hampshire, where he married, and was the father of three boys and five girls. Timothy Webb was a native of Otsego county, N.Y., and removed to this county where he married. He afterward moved to Michigan, but returned to Pennsylvania and located at Ridgway, Elk county, where he died in 1837, leaving six children: Jane, now Mrs. Jacob Palmer, of Custer City, Dak.; Emily, now Mrs. James Van Sickles, of Genesee county, Mich.; O.R.; Francis, who died when about five years of age; Ellen, who died in 1889, in Polk county, Wis., and Louisa, also deceased. O.R. Webb, when seven years of age began life for himself, eventually learning the carpenter's trade, and subsequently adopted the business of surveyor. He engaged in various enterprises, having been in the mercantile business, and also was in the lumber business at Roulette from 1862 to 1867. In 1856 he married Eve, daughter of Jacob Wiederich. Mrs. Webb died in 1859, leaving one child, P.L. Mr. Webb was again married, his present wife being Mrs. Polly A. Taggart, widow of A.C. Taggart, formerly a sheriff of the county. Mr. Webb is a Republican in politics. He has been supervisor, justice of the peace and postmaster, and has held other local positions of trust.
MICHAEL WEIMER, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of George and Eve Weimer, was born in Alsace, France, in 1824. He came with his parents to America in 1830, locating in Roulette township, where he was reared. After reaching manhood he located on the farm he now owns in Roulette township, and engaged in business as a farmer, also dealing extensively in lumber. He was married in 1849 to Rebecca, daughter of Elder Barr, and their children are Loetta, wife of William Tauscher; Sarah, wife of Perry Brock; George; Eve, wife of Isaac Dingman; Nettie F., wife of Llewellyn Matteson; Ida, wife of Delno Wright; Viola, wife of Edgar Whaley; Augusta, wife of R. Lee Burt; Gracie, wife of William Ruby; Emily and Michael. Mrs. Weimer died April 13, 1887. Both were members of the Free Will Baptist Church. Mr. Weimer is a member of the Democratic party. During the war he enlisted in Company A, Ninety-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was mustered out of the service in 1865.
R.L. WHITE, merchant, Roulette, son of David and Martha J. White, was born in Leroy township, Bradford Co., Penn., in 1840. About 1853 his parents removed to Sweden township, Potter Co., Penn., and purchased a tract of over 200 acres of land; this was cleared, and they became prominent citizens of that township. Their family consisted of eleven children, viz.: Franklin, who died at the age of fourteen years; Rodney L. ; Adeline (deceased) who married Charles Wygant, of Cherry Flats, Tioga county; Frederick D.; Delivan (deceased), a former resident of Bradford, Penn.; Warren; William; Martha (Mrs. C. Chase); Franklin 2d; Milton and Mary (twins, Mary died when seven years old, and Milton is now on the old homestead). Six of this family are living. Hon. R.L. White received his education in the common schools and the academy of Potter county, and in 1866 married Fronia E., daughter of H.L. Bird, of Sweden township. After his marriage he located on a farm in Sweden township, where he lived until 1874, when he removed to Roulette, and embarked in the mercantile business. Mr. White is a member of Eulalia Lodge, No. 342, F. & A.M., of Coudersport Chapter, No. 263, R.A.M., and of Roulette Lodge, No. 322, I.O.O.F. He cast his political fortunes with the Republican party, and was elected county commissioner, serving one term. In 1867 he was re-elected, and served a second term. In the fall of 1879 he was elected a member of the legislature, and served during the winter of 1880- 81. He has always been identified with local matters, and has filled a prominent place in the locality he has chosen for his residence. His purse and influence are always extended in furthering any proposition looking to the advancementof local interests, and he is liberal in his charities and a friend to the needy. His children are Mabel, Elmer B. and Harry D.
GEORGE WIEDERICH, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of Jacob and Sally Wiederich, was born at Inglesy, France, in 1821, and came with his parents to America in 1829, locating in Roulette, then a wilderness, there being but one house and a blacksmith shop where the thrifty borough of Coudersport now stands. His father purchased a tract of land, which he cleared, and he became a prosperous farmer. Their children were Sally (Mrs. Isaac Lyman), Margaret (Mrs. Henry Reynolds), Caroline (Mrs. Charles N. Barrett) and George. After the father' s death the mother made her home with her son George. George Wiederich was reared in Potter county, and remained on the homestead with his parents until his marriage, after which he took charge of the farm, and at his father' s death succeeded him in its ownership. He married Kate, daughter of Henry Yentzer, and they have six children: Alice, Orlando, Lettie, Edith, Della and Volney. In politics Mr. Wiederich is a Democrat, and has served his township as school director.
JOHN YENTZER, farmer, P.O. Roulette, son of Henry and Mary Yentzer, was born in France in 1827, in the province of Alsace, now belonging to Germany, and with his parents came to America in 1834, locating in Roulette, where he was reared and educated. In 1852 he bought the farm he now owns, and began life as a farmer and lumberman, which is still his business. He was married in 1859 to Hannah Baker, and they have five children: Arthur, David, Myron, Melvina and Sophronia. Mr. and Mrs. Yentzer are members of the Free Will Baptist Church. In politics he is a Democrat, and has held various official positions in his township, which he has filled to the entire satisfaction of his constituents.
L.B. YENTZER, P.O. Roulette, son of Henry and Mary Yentzer, was born in France, near Strasburg in 1832. His parents came to America in 1834, and located in Roulette Township, Potter Co., Penn., where the father purchased a farm, cleared it and engaged in farming. They reared a family of seven boys and two girls, all living but Peter, the third born child. Their names are as follows: Horace, Daniel, Peter, George, John, L.B., Frederick, Mrs. Katherine Weidrich and Mrs. Caroline Tauseher. Here the parents spent their declining years, surrounded by their children; and in the enjoyment of every material comfort. L.B. remained with his parents until their decease. May 25, 1863, he married Pauline Neefe, of Sweden township, and located on the old homestead farm, which is now a. very desirable property. Their children are Gustave H., Lena Raymer, Edward C., Florence, Burdette and Carroll. They are members of the Lutheran Church. In politics Mr. Yentzer is a Democrat. He has held various official positions in. the township, and is a gentleman highly respected by all who know him.
DANIEL YENTZER, farmer, P.O. Roulette, was born in France in 1821, and came with his parents to America in 1834. In 1849 he married Mary A. Shafer, located in Pleasant Valley township, and engaged in farming, remaining there about thirty-six years, when they removed to Roulette, where Mrs. Yentzer died in November, 1884, leaving four children: Henry B., John L., Daniel T. and Mary (now Mrs. William Ernst). In 1886 Mr. Yentzer married, for his second wife, Mrs. Angeline Peckham, daughter of Luther Kinney, formerly of Clarksville, Allegany Co., N.Y., who also had three children: Carrie (now Mrs. Wilson McDowell, of Pleasant Valley), Nellie (now Mrs. John Smith, of Annin township, McKean county) and Lillie P. Mrs. Ventzer is a member of the Baptist Church, and Mr. Yentzer of the Lutheran Church. In politics lie is a Democrat. He is a prominent citizen, and has held various positions of trust and honor in the township of Pleasant Valley.
JAMES H. QUIMBY (deceased) was born in Steuben county, N.Y., October 10, 1834. He lived in his native county until eighteen years of age, when he came with his parents to Potter county, Penn., where they bought a tract of wild land, in Homer township, which he improved and made his home until his death, and here his family still reside. He was one of the first settlers of the township, and was a successful farmer and lumberman. He died October 26, 1872. Mr. Quimby was married, November 14, 1855, to Miss Charlotte Foster, who was born in Susquehanna county, Penn., November 14, 1835, and was brought by her parents to Homer township, Potter county, in 1839. Mr. and Mrs. Quimby had a family of five children: Nora (married, and living with her husband on a farm in Kansas), Flora (wife of Charles Head, now living at Hot Springs, Dak.), Sylvia (wife of Frank Munroe, and living in Kansas), Alvin and Rose. The last two reside with their mother on the old farm, where Mrs. Quimby is taking care of Grandfather James E. Quimby, who is now eighty-four years of age. Mrs. Quimby is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
D.C. WHITE, farmer, P.O. Coudersport, is a native of Tompkins county, N.Y., born December 7, 1820, a son of Dr. Austin White, who moved to Potter county, Penn., in 1839, and was the first physician in Harrison township, where he lived until his death, August 7, 1869. He left a family of seven children: Sally, Jane, Esther, Fannie, D.C., Miles and Harriet. D.C. White came to Potter county with his parents in 1839, and lived in Harrison township until February, 1882, when he moved to Homer township, buying the farm where he now lives. He has been prominent in public affairs, and has held the office of county treasurer one term, and various township offices. He was married, March 1, 1840, to. Miss Susan Fie, of Jefferson county, Penn., and they have five children: William J., of Coudersport; Mary A., wife of George Carr, of Troopsburg, N.Y.; George; Jane and Sophronia.
PORTAGE TOWNSHIP AND BOROUGH OF AUSTIN
E.O. AUSTIN, farmer, P.O. Austin, Penn, Mr. Austin is a son of Oramel Austin, and was born in Greene, Chenango Co. N.Y., in 1825. He received a limited education in his native county, and in 1841, with his parents came to White' s Corners, Harrison township, Potter county, remaining there until 1856, when he removed to what is now the borough of Austin, then in Sylvania township. He soon after built the road from North Wharton (now Costello) to his place, three miles. In 1870 he built the State road from Austin to Keating Summit, to bring his township in connection with the W.N.Y. & P.R.R. which was built in 187 2- 73. He bought a tract of land, which he cleared, and was largely instrumental in the location of extensive manufacturing interests. His solicitation with Mr. Goodyear largely influenced Mr. Garretson to locate his business there in 1885, and this resulted in the location of other important mills and enterprises. He was educated as a civil engineer, and was largely concerned in surveying and engineering in his county some years ago. The town, which was named Austin in honor of E.O. (he being its founder), was incorporated as a borough October 19, 1888. It is located on a tract of 147 acres belonging to Mr. Austin, and was laid out on plans drawn by him. He has always been prominently identified with the town, doing all in his power to promote its interests. Mr. Austin began life as a poor boy, and is emphatically a self-made man. He has been justice of the peace about thirty years, or ever since 1857, with the exception of a few months; was elected county commissioner in 1863, serving two terms, and has been a school director forty years. He enlisted in the war of the Rebellion in the fall of 1862, and served until July, 1865, being chief clerk in the department of the Pamlico. Mr. Austin wrote the reminiscences of Potter county deposited with the State Historical Society, and a history of the county published in Egle' s History of Pennsylvania, which has been of great value to the compiler of the history of Potter county. He is a correspondent of many papers, and is a writer of ability on any subject he chooses to discuss. He read law with Isaac Benson from 1847 to 1849, and fitted himself for the bar, although he had no intention of practicing. He is the leading citizen of the town of Austin, and no man in the county has a more extended influence or is more widely known and respected. He was married, in 1849, to Amelia Stedman, who died, leaving five children. He afterward married Julia Allington, and to them have been born three children. Mr. Austin is a stanch supporter of, the principles of the Republican party. He is a member of Eulalia Lodge, No. 342, F. & A.M.
FRANK L. BLAISDELL, proprietor of the Kindling Wood Factory, Austin, son of E.F. Blaisdell, was born in Maine in 1852, where he was reared and educated. He came to Potter county, Penn., and began the erection of his works at Austin, in July, 1886, in company with his brother. Their sawing machinery and bundling presses are of his own invention. The Blaisdell Brothers are pioneers of the kindling wood business, and were compelled to invent machinery to avoid infringement of patent, and have the best in the world. Their mill has a capacity of sawing 100 cords of four-foot wood daily, giving employment to 150 hands. Mr. Blaisdell was married in 1877 to Margaret Fenter, of New York City, and to them have been born five children. Mr. Blaisdell is liberal in religion and politics.
JOHN BROWNLEE, proprietor of saw-mill, P.O. Costello, is a son of Robert and Ruth Brownlee, and was born in Ballymena, County Antrim, Ireland, in 1827. When he was two years old his parents moved to Killyleagh, County Down, where he was reared and educated, and learned the trade of baker and pastry cook. In 1851 he came to the United States, the passage occupying thirteen weeks, and located in New York City. The first engagement he had on this side of the Atlantic was as pastry cook on the steamship "Georgia," under Admiral Porter, running between New York City and Aspinwall. After following his trade five years in New York, he came in 1856, through the influence of his half brother, Gorman Young, of Ulno, to Potter county, where he has ever since resided. He settled in Portage township, on the place he now owns, which he purchased when it was a wilderness. This he cleared and improved, making it a very fine property. Coming here, as he did, with $2, 000 in money, Mr. Brownlee was considered a capitalist in those days. He is the owner of a saw, grist, planning and shingle mill, and, in addition to attending to the work of his farm, has always been in the lumber trade. Mr. Brownlee has been twice married- first, in Liverpool, England, to Elizabeth Savage, of Downpatrick, County Down, Ireland, who bore him ten children, all natives of Potter county, except the eldest, who was born at 73 Fulton street, New York. Seven of the children are yet living. This wife dying, Mr. Brownlee afterward married Rebecca Courtney, of Fulnek, a Moravian settlement in Yorkshire, England. Politically Mr. Brownlee is a Republican.
HARRY D. CASKEY, son of M.C. and Eliza L. (Thayer) Caskey, was born at Great Valley, N.Y., January 5, 1862. He received his education at the Chamberlain Institute, Randolph, N.Y., and entered the office of the Courant at that place as an apprentice, in 1878. Remaining three years, he moved to Warren, Penn., and worked in various offices in Western Pennsylvania and Western New York until 1883, when he purchased the office of the Cherry Creek (N.Y.) Monitor, and in partnership with John Ackley, conducted that paper until the close of the year, when he returned to Randolph. In the summer of 1884 he moved to Butte, Mont., and entered the Miner office. In 1885- 86 he traveled through the West, and, returning to Pennsylvania, resumed work, establishing the Sharon Leader and Ceres Courant. After a term of fifteen months, he moved to Austin, September 1, 1887, and with the editor of the Reporter established the Austin Autograph. In April, 1888, he sold the office to Snyder & Co., who in turn, sold to W.H. Sullivan in November, 1888. In April, 1889, the latter sold to D.W. Butterworth, but in September of that year Mr. Sullivan resumed possession of the office, and immediately turned it over to Mr. Caskey, who has been editor since its establishment here. His marriage with Miss Matie Brock, took place November 1, 1887, at Ceres, N.Y. Mr. Caskey has always been a Democrat, and his journal is strongly favorable to that party.
A. DEICHES, merchant, Austin, a son of W. Deiches, was born in Austria in 1852, and came to the United States in 1870. He first located in New York City, where he remained until 1886, when he removed to Austin, Penn., and became associated with S. Deiches in the clothing business. While in New York he was engaged in the manufacture of cigars at Brooklyn, and was also in the clothing business. He was the first to manufacture cigars in Austin, and still carries on an extensive business in that line. He was married in New York to Celia Tyroler, and they have three children. They are adherents of the Hebrew faith. In. politics Mr. Deiches is a Republican.
R.J. GAFFNEY, Austin, son of Michael Gaffney, was born in New York City, January 14, 1863. He remained in his native city until nine years of age, when his parents removed to Valley Falls, Rensselaer Co., N.Y., where he remained some twelve years. After leaving school he was for some years working in the manufacture of mosquito nets, linen twines, and buckrams, in Valley Falls, Rensselaer Co., N.Y., and March 15, 1884, left Valley Falls and returned to New York City, remaining there one year in the employ of Clarkson & Allen, painters and wall-paper decorators, as their collector. In March, 1885, he left New York City and went to Fish' s Eddy, Delaware Co., N.Y., to take charge of a country store for Keery Bros., in connection with their chemical works at that place; he remained with Keery Bros. three years, and, was at the time of leaving them, their general superintendent of chemical works and store, which, by the way, grew and prospered in his hands. March 15, 1888, he came to Potter county, Penn., erected the Austin Chemical Works, where he manufactures wood alcohol, acetate of lime and charcoal, and is also superintendent of the extract works. June 22, 1887, Mr. Gaffney married Hattie L. Sproat, of Valley Falls. He is a strong supporter of high license and firm against the removal of the internal revenue tax on grain alcohol.
W.H. SULLIVAN, Austin, son of Timothy Sullivan, was born in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada, in 1864, where he was educated, graduating from the collegiate institute in 1880. In 1882 he became connected with the Buffalo Hardware Company, and upon the completion of their works at Austin, in 1886, came here as their general manager. In December, 1888, with Mr. Harvey, he leased both mills of the Buffalo Hardware Company, the upper one being the largest in the State, and one of the largest in the United States, giving employment to 275 men. He married Elizabeth, daughter of A.C. Calkins, of Buffalo. He is a member of Eulalia Lodge, No. 342, I.O.O.F. He is, in his political views, a Democrat, and was a member of the State Central Committee in 1888.
SETH BRIGGS, manufacturer of lumber, P.O. Sanders, was born in Tioga county, N.Y., October 9, 1834. He came with his, father, Seth Briggs (who was one of the first settlers of Wharton township), to Potter county, October 9, 1854. The family settled on a tract of wild land, and held it by peaceable possession, living on it twenty-one years. His father died in 1862, and although a resident of the county only eight years, was well-known and highly respected. In 1875 Mr. Briggs bought the saw-mill formerly owned by David Card, and now carries on an extensive business in lumber. He was married July 9, 1887, to Miss D.M. Horton, of Wharton. He has been a prominent citizen of the county, and has held various official positions. In politics he is a Democrat.
DAVID CARD, lumberman and farmer, P.O. Sanders, was born in Chautauqua county, N.Y., February 14, 1818. In his childhood his parents moved to Vermont and from there to Oswego county, N.Y., where they lived until 1850, when they moved to Tioga county, N.Y. Mr. Card bought a farm in Tioga county, living on it until 1858, when he came to Potter county, Penn., and exchanged his farm in Tioga county for a tract of wild land, heavily timbered, in Wharton township. He built a mill on his land, and has been extensively engaged in the lumber business. He also has given his attention to agriculture, and owns a well-improved farm on the Sinnemahoning river, which is attractive, his residence and farm buildings being among the best in the township. Although deeply engrossed in his own business, he is interested in all matters of public benefit, and has held various official positions. Mr. Card was married, in 1851, to Miss Diadona Green, who died in 1858, and May 11, 1861, he married Miss Louisa Briggs, daughter of Seth Briggs, who came from Tioga county, N.Y., to Potter county, in 1854. Mr. Card has a family of five children: Della, wife of Henry Engle; Laura, wife of Wesley Harding; David; Cora, wife of Isaac Cornelius, and Charles. Mr. and Mrs. Card are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
M.T. SEIBERT, farmer, P.O. Costello, was born March .26, 1826, in Berks county, Penn., where he was reared and educated, remaining with his father until he became a young man. He bought a farm, in Berks county, and remained there until 1848, when he came to Potter county, and purchased a tract of wild land, but did not move to the county until 1871. He now has a. good home in Wharton township, and is one of the prosperous farmers of the township. Mr. Seibert was married in October, 1847, to Miss Mary A. Good, who died in 1856. In November, 1866, he married Miss Amelia Bishop, of Berks county, and they have seven children: John M. (in Alabama), Luther B., (an attorney in Austin), Douglas S. (a merchant in Sanders), Mary L. (wife of George Olmsted, of Coudersport), Annie A. (in Eldred), Nellie G. and Nora V. Mr. Seibert is a member of Williamson Lodge, No. 807, F. & A.M.
Source: Page(s) 1251-1261 History of Counties of McKean, Elk and Forest, Pennsylvania. Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1890.
Transcribed February 2006 by Carol Eddleman Published 2006 by PA-Roots
- Written by Nathan Zipfel
- Created: 21 October 2008
- Last Updated: 25 February 2014