Biographical and Historical Books
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES—HECTOR, PIKE, WEST BRANCH, ABBOT AND STEWARDSON TOWNSHIPS
JAMES DOUGLAS, farmer, P.O. Hector, was born in Tompkins county, N.Y., May 12, 1820. He attended school at Newfield, N.Y., and when not in school worked on the farm with his father. In 1841 his parents moved to Tioga county, near the county line, and that same year he bought a tract of wild land in Hector township, Potter Co., Penn., which he improved, and in 1850 bought the farm where he now lives, which is one of the best farms in the township. He was a soldier in the war of the Rebellion, serving from December 1, 1864, until the close of the war. Mr. Douglas was married, March 14, 1848, to Miss Sarah J. Breese, of Chemung county, N.Y. They have had nine children, viz.: Charles F., of Hector; Mary A. (Mrs. Will Gilbert); Josiah B., of Westfield; Royal, died, aged two years; John, died, aged seventeen years; Carrie (Mrs. Dr. M.R. Pritchard, of Harrison Valley, deceased); Henry, married Sarah Breese and lives on the homestead; Kate C. and Aleda M., both at home.
A.E. EATON, farmer, P.O. Ulysses, is a native of the State of New York, born July 26, 1855, a son of Charles and Adensy Eaton, also natives of New York. He was given good educational advantages, attending the schools at Alfred Centre, Allegany Co., N.Y., and worked on his father's farm when not in school. He worked for his father until his marriage, and then took charge of the farm, remaining at home until 1885. In 1881 he bought a farm in Hector township, Potter Co., Penn., and in 1885 moved to it, and is now one of the prosperous farmers of the township. He was married, in 1879, to Miss Lucinda Bailey, of Hector, and they have two children, Maud and Flora.
PERRY FILLMORE, lumber dealer, P.O. Sunderlinville, a son of John and Marinda Fillmore, was born in Tioga county, Penn., March 6, 1847. He made his home with an uncle until twenty-one years of age when he came to Hector township, Potter county, where he bought a tract of land, and engaged in the lumber and bark trade, and is now doing business at J.E. Wait' s mill, which has a capacity of 15,000 feet of lumber and 7,000 shingles, daily. He is also a dealer in general merchandise. In 1868 he married Frankie Linderman, and they have two children, Willard and Clare. Mr. Fillmore is a member of Westville Lodge, No. 477, F. & A.M.; in politics he is a Republican.
J.L. HAVENS, merchant, Sunderlinville, a son of John and Catharine Havens, was born in Hector township, Potter Co., Penn., in 1836. His parents came from New York State, and were among the first settlers in Hector township. Their family consisted of three children: D.W., J.L. and M.V. J.L. Havens was married in 1857, to Julia A., daughter of Joseph Sunderlin, the founder of Sunderlinville. Mr. Sunderlin came here at a very early day, and built the first grist mill on the present site of Sunderlinville, and when the town was incorporated it was named in his honor. His children were Darwin, Cyrus, Darius, Huldah, Daniel, Joseph, John, Samuel, Lydia and Julia A. Mr. and Mrs. Sunderlin made this their home until their death. Mr. and Mrs. Havens, after marriage, located in Hector township, and for a time he was engaged in agriculture, but in 1883 he removed to town and embarked in the mercantile business. Mrs. Havens died, leaving two children: B.B. and Laura; the eldest, Alice A. having died about three months previous to her mother' s death. Mr. Havens subsequently married Mrs. M.H. Wilkinson, widow of Matthew H. Wilkinson, who died from the effects of cancer. She has three children: W.R., Eva and Satie. Mr. Havens is a Republican in politics, and has held various official positions in his township.
C.P. KILBOURNE, farmer, P.O. Sunderlinville, was born in Wellsboro, Penn., March 9, 1822. His father died in 1825, and he was taken to the home of a great uncle, with whom he lived until he was fourteen years old, when his mother married Aaron Niles, of Niles Valley, Penn., and he then lived with her until twenty-three years old, when he came to Potter county, and worked as a laborer three years. He then bought a tract of wild land in Hector township, which he has improved, and although obliged to undergo hardships and privations, has been successful, now having one of the best homes in the township. He has erected good buildings, and has brought his land under a high state of cultivation. Mr. Kilbourne was married in 1848, to Lovisa Pemberton, a native of Mixtown, Penn., born October 31, 1829, and they have four children: Delphine (wife of Clinton Dimon), Josephine E. (wife of W.E. Ferris), Leon (married to Ida Beech) and Lucy (wife of Otis Sunderlin). Mr. Kilbourne is a member of Eulalia Lodge, No. 342, F. & A.M., at Coudersport, and he and his wife are members of the Westfield Methodist Episcopal Church. He has held various offices of trust in his township and county, having been county commissioner three terms.
WILLIAM J. LOUCKS, farmer and lumberman, P.O. Ulysses, was born in Oneida county, N.Y., July 18, 1834. In 1844 his parents moved to Potter county, and settled in Hector township, where he was reared, and on reaching manhood he embarked in the lumber business, his father having purchased a saw-mill and a quantity of timber land in Hector and Ulysses townships. He learned the use of tools easily, and soon became a good carpenter. He also worked at repairing mills until he became a good millwright, and put up two saw-mills, one a water-mill for himself, in 1876, on what is called the Genesee forks of Pine creek (now known as Loucks' Mills). At this place the first settler was George Parker, who died in 1845. His farm was sold and resold to a dozen different parties, until at last Mr. Loucks and C.B. Watrous bought it for the purpose of building the above mentioned saw-mill. Mr. Loucks has also been engaged in farming, and is now one of the successful business men of the county. He was married, May 20, 1854, to Miss Janet Glover, of Steuben county, N.Y., and she died in January, 1875, leaving seven children—the eldest about sixteen years old, and the youngest seventeen months. Mr. and Mrs. Loucks had previously lost three children—two girls and one boy. The mother of our subject died September 11, 1870, and the father, Cornelius Loucks, a few years thereafter married Miss Huldah Sunderlin, an elderly maiden lady, with whom nearly all in this vicinity were well acquainted. The early settlers well remember her father, Joseph Sunderlin, who built the first mill in Hector some time between 1835 and 1840. In 1844 the township of Hector had but thirty-six voters in it, and Cornelius Loucks was elected constable and collector for a dozen years or more in succession. When the Civil war broke out C.H. Loucks, the eldest brother of William J., enlisted, and he lost his left arm in front of Petersburg just at the close of the war. Stephen L. Loucks, the youngest brother, died in the army in Virginia, January 9, 1864. He was himself drafted twice, and reported at Williamsburg, Penn., but on account of disability was rejected. At the close of the war C.H. Loucks returned and lived on his farm for a number of years, then built a house in Lewisville, where he now resides with his second wife. William J. Loucks also married a second wife, November 16, 1879, in the person of Mrs. Itta C. Barnhart, daughter of George Harvey, of Clymer township, Tioga county, Penn. They have one child, a son, named Ray Harvey Loucks. Mr. Loucks has seen deer and other wild animals run through the woods and brush where now are large fields without a stump in them; where forests were then, orchards are now. The parents of W.J. Loucks, Cornelius and Naomi (Johnson) Loucks, were married January 1, 1822, and their children were born in the following order: Mary Jane, Cornelius H., Mehitable D. (deceased), Harriet R. (deceased), Elizabeth A. (deceased), William J. and Stephen L. (deceased). The children born to William J. and Janet (Glover) Loucks were named Mary E., William J., Jr., Charles A., Janet E., George W., Hatta N., Henry C., Jenny M., Peter S. and Alexander X.
J.V. MILLER, of the firm of J.V. Miller & Co., merchants, Sunderlinville, is a son of William and Catherine Miller, and was born at Clymer, Tioga Co., Penn., in 1842. His parents removed to Spring Mills, Allegany Co., N.Y., where he was educated. He remained with his parents until about 1862, when he removed to Yates county, N.Y., and for a period of ten or twelve years was a commercial traveler. He was for a time in Bradford in the oil trade, and in 1882 located in Sunderlinville, where, with his brother, Byron, he embarked in general mercantile business under the firm name of J.V. Miller & Co. His father' s family consisted of nine children: George (deceased), Mary J., J.V., Huldah (deceased), Almeda, Emmett, Byron, Harry and Flora (deceased). The father died in January, 1887, and the mother now makes her home with her son Emmett. J.V. Miller was married in September, 1875, to Mary Coller. He is a member of Lewisville Lodge, No. 556, F. & A.M., of Ulysses Chapter, No. 269, R.A.M., and of Wellsboro Commandery, No. 28, K. T. In politics he is a Republican.
J.S. REYNOLDS, M.D., Sunderlinville and Galeton, was born in Troupsburg, Steuben Co., N.Y., June. 5, 1831, and there was reared until seventeen years of age. He then attended the academy at Deerfield, Tioga Co., Penn., for two years; then went to Lawrenceville, Penn., where he clerked in a general store. Afterward he clerked in a store at Williamsport, Penn., a year, and he then moved to Painesville, Ohio, where he was employed in a drug store, and also studied medicine. He afterward attended the Western Reserve Medical College, two regular sessions. He purchased a drug store at Rochester, Olmsted Co., Minn., and conducted same for six months; then took in a partner and at the close of two years sold out his interest in the drug store to his partner, and returned to Ohio. Dr. Reynolds practiced medicine in Cleveland and vicinity for several years; then moved to the oil country in Western Pennsylvania, and practiced medicine for several years in Oil City and other oil towns. In 1878 he moved to Sunderlinville, Penn., where he bought a house and lot, and. also one at Galeton, same state, at which places he has a large practice. The Doctor graduated from the St. Louis (Mo.) College of Physicians and Surgeons March 8, 1889. He was married in Cleveland, Ohio, March 30, 1872, to Miss Almeda E. Miller, of Spring Mills, N.Y., by whom he had two sons, William and Juna, both of whom died of diphtheria in 1880. The Doctor is a member of Temple Lodge, No. 28, F. & A.M., of Painesville, Ohio, and of Painesville Chapter, No. 46, R.A.M.; he is a member of Hector, Lodge, No. 526, at Sunderlinville, Penn., of the Equitable Aid Union, and is medical examiner for the same.
T.J. SURDAM, farmer, P.O. Sunderlinville, was born in Virgil, Cortland Co., N.Y., July 26, 1835, and in 1841 was brought by his parents to Potter county, Penn., where he was reared. June 15, 1861, he enlisted in defense of his country, in the war of the Rebellion, and served until 1863. In September, 1864, he again enlisted and served until the close of the war. He is a member of H.C. Ackley Post, G.A.R. Mr. Surdam owns a good farm in Hector township, where he lives, and is one of the representative citizens of the township.
WILLIAM WILKINSON, farmer, P.O. Sunderlinville, a son of Matthew and Ann (Rook) Wilkinson, was born in Seneca, Cayuga Co., N.Y., in 1837, the parents having come from Westmoreland county, England, in 1836. In 1854 the family moved to Potter county, Penn., and settled in Hector township, where Matthew Wilkinson was engaged in the practice of medicine until his death, which occurred in July, 1869. Mrs. Ann Wilkinson has since made her home with her daughter, Mrs. James Hart. They had a family of six children: Matthew H., William, John, Rook, Thomas and Mary (wife of James Hart). The sons were all soldiers in the war of the Rebellion, going out in defense of their country. Matthew H. died from the effects of exposure while in the service. John was captured in front of Petersburg, and after enduring the horrors of a Southern prison was finally exchanged, but died from the effects of his terrible experience three days after reaching Annapolis. Book died from the effects of a sunstroke received while in the discharge of his duty. Thomas was killed in front of Petersburg April 2, 1865. William enlisted in Company D, Fifty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers in 1861, and in 1863 re-enlisted, and was assigned to Company F. He was wounded at the battle of the Wilderness, but after his recovery rejoined his regiment, took part in thirteen battles, and served until the close of the war. He then returned home, and has since been engaged in farming in Hector township, buying the farm he now owns, which he has improved, and on which he has erected fine buildings. He was married, February 5, 1866, to Margaretta Harrington, and they have four children: Susan A., Nettie M., Roy L. and William M. In politics Mr. Wilkinson is a Republican.
EPHRAIM S. WORDEN, proprietor of the Worden House, Sunderlinville, son of Charles and Clarissa (Bice) Worden, was born in Bingham Township, Potter Co., Penn., in 1845. His grandfather, Benjamin Worden, came to Potter county in 1818 when Charles was nine years old, and was one of the first settlers of Bingham Township. He reared a family of ten children, all of whom are deceased but Dorinda, the youngest daughter. Charles made his home with his father until latter's decease, when he lived with his uncle, Ashbel Monroe, until the age of twenty-one, when he married Clarissa Bice, after which they located in Bingham township. Their children were Erastus (deceased), Ephraim S., Aaron, Charles V. (deceased), Emma and Ella. Mr. Worden died in Bingham township, and Mrs. Worden then removed to Lewisville, where she still lives. Ephraim S. Worden was married in 1864 to Lizzie E. Surdan. He enlisted in the defense of his country and was assigned to Company D, Fifty-first New York Volunteers; he was wounded at the battle of the Wilderness May 6, 1864, and was in the hospital for a time. On his recovery he rejoined his regiment, and remained until the expiration of his term of enlistment. Returning home he located in Hector township, where he has followed the occupation of a farmer. He was elected sheriff in 1883, and served one term. In 1886 he removed to Sunderlinville, and has since been proprietor of the Worden House. Mr. Worden is a member of Lewisville Lodge, No. 556, F. & A.M. and of O.A. Lewis Post, No. 279, G. A.R. In politics he is a Republican.
CHESTER L. CORSAW came from Owego, Tioga Co., N.Y., and located in Sweden township, Potter Co., Penn., in 1824, where he was one of the first settlers, and was also proprietor of the hotel, making this his home the rest of his life, his death occurring in 1886. He married Matilda Phenix, in 1828. She died in 1835, leaving three children: Hamilton, now deceased; Emily and Phenix. Mr. Corsaw married for his second wife Sarah A. Harrington, and their children were Henderson (deceased), Devillo, Edson (deceased), Clarence, Warren, Chester and Frederick. His daughter, Emily, was married. in 1849 to M.J. Flynn, and located in Chenango county, N.Y., but in 1857 returned to Potter county, and located in Jackson township, where Mr. Flynn was proprietor of a hotel and was also engaged in farming. Their hotel property was destroyed by fire in 1882, and, Mr. Flynn being in ill health, they moved to the farm where they now live in Pike township. To Mr. and Mrs. Flynn were born eight children: Rhoby, Emma, Edward, Marcus, Charles, Ida S., George, and Maud (deceased). Ida S. married S.J. Acker, a merchant, and they located for a time at Gold, but removed to West Pike, where he died, and she afterward married Mr. T.E. Baldwin. She is now engaged in the general mercantile business, and is a lady of rare business qualifications and a successful merchant. Her children are Virgil and Ethlyn. Mrs. Baldwin is a member of the Baptist Church.
J.O. EDGCOMB, proprietor of the Ansley House, Galeton, was born in Maine in 1846, and was there reared and educated, making his home with his parents, James and Joana Edgcomb, until seventeen years of age when he came to Potter county, Penn., and was engaged in the lumber business on Kettle creek, where he remained until 1880, when he removed to Galeton, where he is now the proprietor of the Ansley House, a hostelry noted for the excellency of its cuisine and the perfection of its internal management, while its genial host, no less noted, officiates in the office. He was married, in 1868, to Sophronia S. Conable, daughter of S.M. Conable, and they have five children: Minnie A., Ralph C., Joseph, Amos R. and Clara B. Politically he is a Republican.
OWEN D. HAMMOND, farmer and lumberman, P.O. Galeton, was born in West Branch township, Potter Co., Penn., in 1848, son of Lemuel and Jane Hammond, former of whom was a native of Cortland county, N.Y., and latter of Tioga county, Penn. His father came to Gaines, Tioga county, where he followed hunting and trapping, having been one of the noted hunters of the county, and also worked in the woods. He finally located where he now lives in West Branch township. He married Jane Crippen, and they have a family of three children: Laduskie (now Mrs. Monroe G. Whedon), Owen D. and David. Owen D. was reared and educated in his native township. After reaching man's estate he engaged in lumbering, and in the manufacture of flour, locating at Galeton, where he had a grist-mill. In 1883 he bought the place he now owns, and engaged in farming, also, to some extent in lumbering. He was married in 1886 to Mary Ansley, and they have three children: Leone, Edna and William A. In politics Mr. Hammond is a Republican, and at this writing is auditor of his township. When his maternal grandfather, E. Crippen, came to Potter county, his family was the most remote on West Branch creek, and their home was established in the dense woods.
E.E. HYER, druggist, Galeton, a son of Charles flyer, was born in Halsey valley, Tioga Co., N.Y., October 23, 1863. He was reared and educated in his native town, and after leaving school was employed in different branches of business at Waverly and Hornellsville, N.Y., starting in the drug business at Elkland, Penn., October 1, 1884. In September, 1886, he removed to Galeton, Penn., and opened a drug store, which he has since conducted. He is a young man of fine business ability, and is one of the leading merchants of the town. He was married in June, 1885, to Carrie L. Humphrey, at Elkland, Penn., and they have two children: Ethel and Anna. Mr. Hyer is a member of Westville Lodge, No. 477, F. & A.M. In politics he is a Democrat. As an evidence of his popularity we need only record that he is the present treasurer of Pike township.
JAMES IVES, farmer and lumberman, P.O. West Pike, son of John and Martha Ives, was born at Pike Mills in 1830. His father, who was a native of Connecticut, came here when a young man, and was engaged in the lumber trade during his lifetime. He was one of the early settlers here, and found Jersey Shore his nearest source of supply, a trip he had to make with oxen. His children were Riley (in Illinois), Lester, John, Harriet (Mrs. B.B. Whitmore) and James. Both parents are deceased. James Ives made his home with his parents until about twenty years of age, and was engaged in various occupations until 1866, when he located at his present residence, where he is extensively engaged in the lumber trade, as well as attending to his farm. He built a mill on his place, which he is still operating. He married Miss C.H. Burns, a daughter of Lorana Burns. In politics he is a supporter of the Republican party. He is one of the sterling men of Pike township.
MAJOR J.M. KILBOURNE, merchant, lumberman and farmer, P.O. West Pike, son of John M. and Elizabeth (Butler) Kilbourne, was born at Wellsboro, Tioga county, Penn., January 30, 1816. His father was a native of Vermont, and his mother of New Hampshire; both died in Tioga county, the father in 1824 and the mother later. The Major, after his father's death, made his home with an uncle, David, of Wellsboro, the first merchant there, who had also a distillery, and was a manufacturer of potash. He lived with his uncle until 1838, when he married Martha J. Bellows, and to them were born four children: John W., who died when seven years of age; Lydia Ann, deceased; Elliott A., who was wounded at the battle of Spottsylvania, and died from the effects of the amputation of his right leg, and was buried at Arlington; and Eldred M., now of West Pike. Mrs. Kilbourne died, and the Major married, for his second wife, Mrs. Orel Marlatt. They had two children: Harriet, now Mrs. F.A. Crowell, and Albert Butler. Maj. Kilbourne is now living with his third wife, who was formerly Mrs. Orcelia Breese. The Major located in Pike township in 1834, and ten days after he came of age he was made a supervisor. He was also a constable, also justice of the peace, a position he has held for forty years. He is a lumberman, farmer and merchant, and is one of the prominent citizens of the county. The Major's uncle built the first mill in Pike township, and the Major, in 1846, built another, where he manufactured lumber, and rafted it down the Susquehanna river to Chesapeake Bay and Baltimore. He enlisted April 21, 1861, as private; was at this time brigade inspector, Third Brigade, Eleventh Division, Pennsylvania Militia; went into Camp Curtin with 200 men; was commissioned by Gov. Curtin as major of the Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was mustered into the United States service at Harrisburg, October 21, 1861. He was discharged by reason of disability, August 1, 1862, being then in command of the regiment which he commanded at battle of James Island, June 15, 1862. He was sent to New York, and was eight days getting home. He was for a year an invalid, but was retained as provost-marshal of Potter county two years, and was mustered out at the close of the war. He is a member of E.A. Kilbourne Post, No. 491, G. A.R., the only instance in the United States where a father is commander of a post named in honor of a son killed, in the army, and a member of the same regiment. The Major is also an Odd Fellow. He is a Democrat in politics. He was elected a member of the legislature, and served in 1852 and 1853, and was chairman of the committee on ways and means in the last named year. In 1853, also, he was commissioned by Gov. Bigler, lieutenant-colonel of Pennsylvania militia, as aid- de-camp to the governor. In 1856 he was the Democratic nominee for sheriff of Potter county, but was defeated by Alva Taggart, Republican. He was elected associate judge in 1871, and served five years in the various courts of Potter county. He now has his residence at Pike Mills, and of the old pioneers on Pine creek he is the only survivor.
AUGUST LEHMAN, merchant, Galeton, was born in Baden, Germany, December 21, 1856, and came to Wayne county, Penn., in 1868. At the age of twenty-one he left his parents and went to Letonia, Tioga county, where he helped to build a tannery in which he was afterward employed. From there he went to Galeton, and was with W. & L.R. Gale in their tannery as beam hand, remaining with them five years. In 1888 he embarked in mercantile business, building a store in Galeton, and has since been one of its prominent business men. He married Mary C. Henry, of Germania, and they have one child, Albert A. Mr. and Mrs. Lehman are members of the Lutheran Church.
GEORGE W. SUTTON, proprietor of saw-mill, and farmer, P.O. Sunderlinville, was born in Cayuga county, N.Y., November 19, 1846. When he was a child, his parents, Isaiah and Hannah (Pease) Sutton, moved to Lawrenceville, Penn., where he was educated, and in his youth began working for his father, who was a miller. After living at Lawrenceville ten years, they moved to Wellsville, N.Y., and from there to Oswayo, Penn., where they lived two years, and then returned to Lawrenceville. George W. Sutton was a soldier in the war of the Rebellion, serving from September 4, 1864, until the close of the war. He participated in the battles at Fort Steadman, and in front of Petersburg. After the war he returned home, and in 1870 bought a farm and saw-mill at Sunderlinville, Penn., where he has since lived, and is now one of the successful men of the township. He has taken an interest in public affairs, and has held various township offices. Mr. Sutton was married, in August, 1874, to Miss Emma Kilbourne, of Sunderlinville, and they have two children: Jennie and Lemuel. He is a member of the F. & A.M., Westfield Lodge, No. 477; Westfield Chapter, No. 265, and Tyagaghton Commandery, No. 28.
H.M. TICE, merchant, Galeton, son of Philip Tice, was born in Elmira, N.Y., in 1839. In his childhood his parents removed to Tioga county, Penn., where he was educated and remained until he was about twenty-two years old, working in the lumber woods until about 1861. He then located in Hebron township, Potter Co., Penn., engaging in the lumber trade, and in 1872 embarked in the mercantile business. He was married, December 25, 1867, to Julia A. Bishop, and they have seven children: Charles H., Edith L. (now Mrs. W.F. Hamilton), Minnie C., Claude, Lena Belle, Vernie C. and Jessie. Mr. Tice enlisted in the war of the Rebellion in August, 1862, in Company A, One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers. He re enlisted September 5, 1864, and was assigned to Company D, Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served until the close of the war. He is a member of E.A. Kilbourne Post, No. 491, G.A.R., of Galeton. Mr. Tice is a Republican in his politics, and has held various official positions in his township. He was postmaster at Galeton for nine years, but resigned during Cleveland's administration.
WEST BRANCH TOWNSHIP
WILLIS CONABLE, merchant and lumberman, West Branch, was born in West Branch township, Potter Co., Penn., May 26, 1849. He remained at home, working on his father' s farm and in the lumber camp, until twenty-four years of age, when he bought a farm, which he has improved. In 1883 he built a store and embarked in general mercantile business, this being the first commercial enterprise started in West Branch township. Mr. Conable is a progressive man, and has been successful in his business ventures, He was married, November 22, 1872, to Miss A.J. Vanhousen, of West Branch, and they have three children: Blanche I., Ina and Edward D. Mr. Conable is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Eulalia Lodge, No. 342, Coudersport.
CHARLES MEINE, physician, Germania, son of Philip Meine, was born in Hessia, Germany, in 1830. He was reared and educated in his native country, and graduated from the gymnasium at Rinteln, University of Marburg. Owing to political and military difficulties, he was compelled to leave Germany, and so came to America in 1854. He studied medicine in Germany, and completing his course in this country, graduated at the Buffalo Medical College, and at Germania (Potter Co., Penn.), of which village he is the founder, he began the practice of medicine, and has been its only physician. In early days, as well as now, to a large extent, all difficulties among the German population were settled by arbitration, and the Doctor's decision was as binding as a decision of the supreme court. No citizen of the town is more highly respected than he. He is a gentleman of rare intellectual abilities, and one of the ablest of Potter county' s men. As a physician he stands in the front rank, and has one of the largest practices in the county. He married Mary Sandbach, and they have four children. The Doctor is a member of Eulalia Lodge, No. 342, F. & A.M. He is a Democrat in politics, and has been postmaster of Germania for the past ten years.
LOUIS F. MEISSNER, merchant, Germania, a son of Charles A. Meissner, was born in Rahway, N.J., in 1853. His parents removed to Germania in 1858, where his father was engaged in the mercantile business, and also in farming, being in business there until his death, February 10, 1889. His mother is still a resident of Germania. Their children are Charles A., Wilhelmina (Mrs. H. Bach) and Louis F. Louis F. was reared on a farm in Germania, but at twelve years of age was associated with his father in the mercantile business, under the firm name of C.A. Meissner & Son. He is now one of the leading merchants of the place. He was married, in 1874, to Theodosia Schwarzenbach, and they have seven children: Wilhelmina, Cecelia, Clementina, Charles A., Ella, Martha and Louis F., Jr. Mr. Meissner, in politics, is a Republican.
JOHN SCHMID, brewer, Germania, a son of John Martin Schmid, is a native of Germany, and, although he has lived in Germania only three years, is one of the substantial and enterprising citizens. He came to America in 1871, and first located in Philadelphia, where he lived fifteen years. In 1886 he removed to Germania, Potter county, and built a brewery, which he has since successfully conducted, and Schmid's lager has gained a wide reputation as one of the best beers in the market. Mr. Schmid married Miss Rose Strahley, and they have a family of three children: John F., Katie and Harry. In politics Mr. Schmid is a stanch supporter of the principles of the Democratic party.
JOSEPH SCHWARZENBACH, brewer, Germania, a son of Simpertus Schwarzenbach, was born in Bavaria, Germany, in 1822. He came to America in 1851, and located in New York City, where he worked at his trade, marble carver, for four years. He worked on the capitol building at Washington, D.C, two years, and then removed to Philadelphia. He was also employed on the post-office building at Washington, as carver of marble. He came to Germania, Potter Co., Penn., in 1858. In 1855 he married Louisa Seebalid, in Philadelphia, and their children are Theodosia, Roland, Herman, August, Virginia, Louisa and Emanuel. Mrs. Schwarzenbach died in 1884, and he then married Cilia Eberle, in New York City. Mr. Schwarzenbach began brewing in 1858, has since been engaged in the manufacture of lager beer, and is now one of the two licensed brewers in Potter county. He is a radical in politics, has been postmaster of Germania, and by an act of the legislature was made a road commissioner. He is one of the popular German citizens of the county.
AUGUST SCHWARZENBACH, P.O. Galeton, a son of Joseph Schwarzenbach, was born in Germania, Potter Co., Penn., in 1863. In 1882 he went to Galeton, where he has lived for seven years, being employed in the interest of the Consolidated Lumber Company of Williamsport, of which he is a stockholder. He buys for them real estate, timber (standing and lying), and all kinds of lumber, including all hardwoods. He is a member of Tiadotten Lodge, No. 9811, I.O.O.F., at Gaines, Tioga Co., Penn., and also of the Encampment. He was married, August 1, 1888, to Isabel Fowler.
HENRY THEIS, merchant, Germania, was born in Paterson, N.J., in 1857, the only son of Henry and Sophia Theis. His parents removed to Germania in 1859, where his father engaged in the mercantile business until his death, which occurred in 1874, and since then the business has been conducted by Henry, under the firm name of S. Theis & Son. Mr. Theis, as will be seen, was but two years of age when his parents moved to Germania, and here he was reared and received his early education. He later attended school at New York City, and for one year was at Poughkeepsie. He is a young man of good business ability, fine attainments, and stands high in the community in which he lives. He was married, in 1880, to Jennie Schwarzenbach, and they have three children: Otto, Henry and Sophia. Mr. Theis is a member of Eulalia Lodge, No. 342, F. & A.M. In politics he is a Democrat, and was elected to the office of justice of the peace in 1880 (a position he still holds), and a school director, in 1884; he has been president of the school board ever since. He and his wife are members of the German Reformed Church.
AUGUST J., VOSS, proprietor of the Germania Hotel, Germania, was born in Germany, in 1858, a son of Frederick and Lydia (Von Senden) Voss. Frederick Voss died when August was a child, leaving to his widow the care of two young sons, George and August. In 1863 Mrs. Lydia Voss came with her children to America and located in Germania, Potter Co., Penn., where she lived until her death, May 3, 1874. August J. was reared and educated in Germania, and, since old enough to work, has been identified with its business interests. He is now the proprietor of the Germania Hotel, a business for which he seems especially adapted, making a popular and successful landlord. Mr. Voss was married October 23, 1880, to Lizzie Noelk, and they have one child, Harry J. In politics Mr. Voss is a Democrat.
BURT OLSON, proprietor of hotel at Kettle Creek, a son of Martin and Herminia Olson, was born in Norway in 1845. His parents came to America in September, 1852, and located at New Bergen, Potter Co., Penn. Ole Bull wished to form a settlement of his own countrymen here, and the representations he made induced many to come. Ole Bull himself made this his home for a year and half, after which the immigrants were thrown upon their own resources. In the winter of 1853—54, Martin Olson was killed in the woods, leaving his family unprovided for, as far as finances were concerned, and Burt and his widowed mother were compelled to struggle for a living as best they could. In November, 1855, the town of Germania was laid out, and the two found employment as housekeepers for a party of surveyors, remaining there until the spring of 1856, when they removed to the old turnpike bridge, which was their home until 1870. They then went to Oleona, where they became proprietors of a hotel which they subsequently sold, and, from that time until 1880, Burt was engaged in the lumber business. He then repurchased the hotel, of which he has since been proprietor. His father' s family consisted of three children: Ole, Mary (now Mrs. C.A. Burroughs), of Bradford county, Penn., and Burt. In 1856 the mother married Ezra H. Pritchard, a native of Connecticut, and later a resident of Cortland county, N.Y., but who came to this county when a boy of eleven years. He was a famous hunter and trapper, and killed over 2,000 deer. He and J. M. Lyman, also a noted hunter, were very intimate, and often followed the woods in company in search of game. Mr. Pritchard at one time went on horseback to an adjacent spring, where he found the fish so thick they actually crowded each other. Having a hook and line, and a captured grasshopper, he cast his line into the water, which fairly bubbled with speckled beauties. He was also a noted cook, and upon state occasions his services were in demand. He at one time was sent for to go to Coudersport, and on the way over he killed four deer, carried two saddles in his knapsack, and the balance on his back—a reasonably good one-horse load.
Burt Olson is now one of the representative men of his locality and of the county. He has almost a national reputation as proprietor of a summer house, a favorite resort for fishers and hunters, and parties desiring an invitingly cool and delightful summer play-spell. His popularity being so well known, it is useless to add that as a public caterer, he anticipates the wants of a critical patronage. He was married, October 4, 1868, to Catherine Steele. In politics Mr. Olson is a Republican. In 1881 he was elected county commissioner, and served a term of three years; has also held the office of justice of the peace fifteen years, and has held the most of the township offices. He is a member of Eulalia Lodge, No. 342, F. & A.M. The name of the post-office at Kettle Creek was changed in the summer of 1890 to Oleona, with Mr. Burt Olson as postmaster.
Source: Page(s) 1218-1227 History of Counties of McKean, Elk and Forest,
Pennsylvania. Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1890.
Transcribed February 2006 by Carol Eddleman Published 2006 by PA-Roots