Jenks, Barnett, Howe, Kingsley and Green Townships
C. W. AMSLER, merchant, Marienville, was born in Washington township, Clarion Co., Penn., July 3, 1849, a son of Henry K. and Magdaline (Kapp) Amsler, natives of Lancaster county, Penn., former of whom, who was one of the pioneers of Clarion county, taking up government land, was an oldtime Whig, and is now a Republican, taking an active part in local politics. The family of our subject's mother were also among the pioneers of Clarion county, and the first to settle in Washington township. Mr. and Mrs. Henry K. Amsler are devout members of the Lutheran Church, in which he has been a deacon for many years. They reared nine children, seven of whom are living: Caroline M. (wife of S. D. Rickembrade, in Clarion county), Clara A. (wife of Peter Green, also in Clarion county), C. W., Louisa (wife of Ellis Detrick, in Venaugo county), William H. (on the homestead farm of his grandfather), Elmer E. and Ida (at home). C. W. Amsler was reared and educated in Clarion county, and at the age of twenty-one years engaged as a laborer in the Warren county oil fields. He soon became an operator for himself, and has been through the excitement in the whole field, retiring at Garfield, Penn., in 1884, but finally coming to Marienville, when he embarked in mercantile business with Mr. Sigworth under the firm name of Sigworth & Amsler. Mr. Sigworth retired in 1885, and the present firm of Amsley Bros. & Co. was organized. They are also engaged in the manufacture of lumber and shingles, having mills in Jenks township. Mr. Amsler married, in 1871, Miss Laura A., daughter of John H. and Fannie Sigworth, of Clarion county. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. of Shippensville, and politically is a Republican. He was appointed postmaster at Marienville, July 1, 1889. Mr. and Mrs. Amsler are members of the Presbyterian Church.
CYRUS BLOOD (deceased) was born in New Ipswich, N. H., in 1795, of English and Irish parentage, and received his education at Boston, Mass. His brother. Samuel Blood, graduated from Harvard College, and began the study of law; his health failing him, he went to Chambersburg, Franklin county, where he taught school many years, and was principal of the Chambersburg Academy, his brother,Cyrus, assisting him, until about the time of his marriage, or shortly before, when he took charge as principal of the Hagerstown Academy; but the confinement of the school-room not agreeing with his health, he traveled for some years. Cyrus Blood married, in 1820, Miss Jane McAuulty of Chambersburg, and in 1833 they came to Jefferson county (which had formerly been Indiana county, the north part being afterward set apart for Forest county) and purchased immense tracts of land. Mr. Blood was one of the founders of Forest county, gave it the name and located the county seat at Marienville, upon what was his farm at that time. He was a prominent Democrat, and became the first associate judge of the county; also served as county superintendent, county commissioner, etc. He employed a number of men in clearing his lands, and did much toward the growth aud prosperity of the county. Mr. and Mrs. Blood were prominent members of the Presbyterian Church. He died in 1860; his widow in 1858. Five children were born to their union, named as follows: Marion F. (now Mrs. J. D. Hunt, of Marienville), Kennedy L. (of Brookville, Penn.), Louisa M. (deceased wife of Dr. R. S. Hunt, of Brookville), Clarine L. (now Mrs. S. F. Rohrer, of Marienville), and Parker P. (of Brookville).
J. D. Hunt (deceased) was born in West Hartford, Vt., July 3, 1811. He received a common school education, and in 1833 came to Marienville, engaging as a laborer with Cyrus Blood. In 1843 he married the eldest daughter of Mr. Blood. Miss Marion F., by whom he had two children: Clara B. (wife of Dr. S. S. Towler, of Murienville) and Cyrus F. (also of Marienville. Mr Hunt erected and operated a saw- and grist mill in connection with his farm. He was a member of' the Democratic party, and served the county in the legislature in 18(57. He also filled the office of county treasurer, and various other important offices. He was an elder in the Presbyterian Church, and helped to build the church at Marienville. He died in September, 18S7. His widow still resides on the homestead in Marienville, which town was named in honor of her by her father.
J. W. COLE, farmer, P. 0. Marionville, was born in Kingsley township, Forest Co., Penn., May 6, 1845, a son of Daniel and Lucinda (Green) Cole, natives of Venango county, Penn., and the former a farmer and lumber dealer by occupation. They were prominent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The mother died in 1807, and the father in 1880. They reared six children, five of whom are living: J. W.; Nelson, in Nebraska, Forest Co., Penn.; Clinton, in Indiana; Elizabeth, wife of Isaac Lennox, in McKean county, Penn.. and Sarah, wife of William Whitney, in Erie county, Penn. J. W. Cole received an ordinary education, and has been principally engaged in lumbering in Kingsley, Tionesta and Jeuks townships. Forest county. In 1873 he married Miss Ruth A., daughter of Noah K. Burton, of Jenks township, and they have four children: Florence A., William N., Maud E. and Jessie May. Mr. Cole is a member of the Democratic party; has served five years as justice of the peace, and twelve years as school director; has also been supervisor, trustee and commissioner. He is a member of Jenks Lodge, No. 250, I. O. O. F.
JOHN DODGE, farmer, P. 0. Marionville, son of Tyler and Esther (Graves) Dodge, was born in Canada in 1823, and soon after moved with his parents to Ohio, where he was reared and received a common school education. He began life as a laborer on the Erie canal, where he worked for three years, and then carried on farming in Erie county, Penn., for two years. In 1845 he came to Forest county, where he worked for Col. Cyrus Blood for some years; then engaged in boat building at Clarington, and finally, in 1809, settled on his present farm in Jenks township. He married, in 1850, Miss Louisa, daughter of Jacob Mercelliott, of Jenks township, and they have two children: Warren, in YVilliamsport. Penn.. and Emma, at home. Mr. Dodge participated in the Civil war, enlisting in 1804 in the Forty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, aud served until the close of the struggle. He is a Democrat in politics, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
RUFUS DODGE, farmer, P. O., Marionville, was born in Ohio, November 29, 1825, a son of Tyler and Esther (Graves) Dodge, farmers by occupation, who settled in Ohio from Canada. Mr. Dodge, at an early age, was bound out to a farmer in Crawford county, Penn., where he was reared, and obtained but a limited education. After his release, he engaged in lumbering, at Clarington and Tionesta, working as a day laborer, for a number of years. He married, in 1856, Miss Mary J. Mercelliott, daughter of Jacob Mercelliott. of Jenks township, and settled on his present farm, which he has cleared and improved. For twenty-two years he carried the mails from Marienville to Sheffield and Brookville. Mr. and Mrs. Dodge are the parents of six children: John M., Annie (widow of Albert Healy), Warren M., Francis, Edgar F. and Florence May. Mr. Dodge is a member of the Democratic party, and has filled various township offices.
REV. J. M. EDWARDS, pastor of the Marienville Methodist Episcopal Church, was born in Butler county, Penn., June 30, 1844, and is a sou of James and Elizabeth (Milliken) Edwards, natives of England and Ireland, respectively. The father came to America about 1820, and superintended the building of iron rolling mills for the governors of Virginia and Maryland, and he continued to work at that business for about twenty years. He was educated for the Episcopal ministry, but was never ordained, and finally united with the Methodic Episcopal Church. After marriage, he settled in Butler county, Penn., where he carried on farming until his death, which occurred April 23, 1888; his widow now resides with the subject of this sketch. Their family consisted of three children: Richard and Simon, residing in Butler county, Penn., and J. M. The subject of this writing attended the township schools and Clarion Seminary, finishing his education in private schools. After this he acted as principal of Carrier Seminary, at Clarion, for five years, and was ordained in 1876. He has held charges in Mercer, Clarion and Forest counties, having located at Marienville in 1880. Mr. Edwards is also engaged in manufacturing lumber, having two mills in Jenks township. He was united in marriage, in 1870, with Miss Margaret, daughter of William Martin, of Clarion county, Penn., and they have eight children: Mary, Sadie, John M., Martin, Vincent, Ethel, Grace and Robert. Mr. Edwards was formerly a Democrat, but of late years has been an active member of the Prohibition party.
CHARLES D. ELDRIDGE, farmer, P. O. Marionville, son of David S. and Emeline (Donehower) Eldridge, was born in Philadelphia, Penn., April 30, 1844. and came to Forest county with his parents, in 1849, locating on his present farm in Jenks township. James Eldridge, the grandfather of Charles D.. also settled on this farm at the same time. Four children were born to David S. and Emeline Eldridge: Charles D. and George D. (in Jenks township), Marien (wife of Judson Parsons, in Jenks township), and Zebiah L. (wife of William Cunningham, in Howe township). The father died in 1886," and the mother in 1857. Charles D. Eldridge has lived on his present farm since five years of age, and has done much toward clearing and improving the same. He is identified with the Democratic party, and has filled the office of township auditor.
JOHN F. GAUL, farmer, P. O. Marionville, was born in Philadelphia, Penn., March 12, 1820, and is a son of John F. and Catherine M. (Mayhew) Gaul. His paternal grandfather, also named John F. Gaul, was born in Germany, July 4, 1760, and came to America with his parents in 1768. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. His maternal grandfather, Samuel Mayhew, was born in New Jersey, July 4, 1700, and also participated in the same war. His father was in the war of 1812, serving as a private in Capt. Hoffman's company, Pennsylvania Rifle Rangers, and his uncle. Christian Gaul, Whs third lieutenant in the same company and in the same war. John F. Gaul (our subject) was reared in Philadelphia, and after completing his education, served an apprenticeship as a brass founder, afterward engaging in that business in Philadelphia, which he conducted for seven years. June 20, 1855, he came to Forest county and purchased his present farm, in Jenks township, which was then a virgin forest. He was united in marriage, in 1846, with Miss Harriet, daughter of Daniel Dixon, of New Jersey. She died in 1852, leaving two children: Catherine E. (widow of J. Douglas Lawrence, of Philadelphia) and John F. (in Mexico). Mr. Gaul was afterward married, in 1857. to Miss Deborah, daughter of James Eldridge. and by her had two children, one deceased, and James E., living on the home farm, married to Edith, daughter of James A. Scott, of Jenks township, and has one child, James Clinton. John F. Gaul is a member of the Democratic party, with prohibition proclivities. He raised a company in Philadelphia, and joined the Fourth Pennsylvania Reserves, serving as lieutenant-colonel, under Gov. Carlin, and resigned in 1852. He was commissioner of Forest county from 1853 to 1870; justice of the peace five years, and school director twelve years. He is a member of Jenks Lodge, No. 250, I. O. O. F., and of the Lutheran Church.
CECIL GROSS, dealer in cherry lumber and logs, also hemlock timber and bark, Marienville, was born in Chautauqua county, N. Y., February 7, 1852. and is a son of G. W. and Rebecca M. (Hurlbnrt) Gross, of Chautauqua and Onondaga counties, N. Y., respectively. Cecil Gross received the advantage of an ordinary education, and for a number of years engaged in butchering in Erie and Venango counties, Penn. In 1884 he located on the Watson farm in Forest county, and thence moved to Marienville, where he carries on his present business. October 12, 1873, he was united in marriage with Miss Linnie E., daughter of Joseph Hall, of Crawford county, Penn. She died in 1882, leaving two children: St. Elmo and Ivan; and Mr. Gross afterward married, in 1887, Miss Lina E., daughter of Robert Morrison. Mrs. Gross is a member of the United Presbyterian Church of Jefferson county. Mr. Gross, in politics, casts his suffrage with the Republican party.
H. H. HENSIL, manufacturer of lumber, lath and shingles, Marienville, was born in Wheeling, W. Va.. October 19, 1855. His father, Henry Hensil, a shoemaker by trade, and who was a native of Germany, moved to Allegheny City, Penn., where H. H. Hensil was educated in the public schools. Our subject learned the sawyer's trade, and in 1877 moved to Jefferson county, engaging in the manufacture of lumber, and in 1884 came to Jenks township. Forest county, where he now manufactures 16,000 feet daily. In 1882 he married Miss Nancy J. Stine, daughter of Mrs. Sarah A. Stine, of Jefferson county, and she died March 6, 1888, aged twenty-seven years, ten months and seventeen days, leaving four children: Edward Miles, Annie Bell, Ella May and Lulu Josephine. Mr. Hensil in politics is a Democrat, and is now serving as commissioner of Jenks township. He is a member of the Patriotic Order Sons of America.
Z. S. HIMES, butcher, Marienville, was born in Clarion county, Penn., August 20, 1839, a son of Joseph and Abigail Ann (Space) Himes, natives of that county. They were farmers by occupation, and still reside on the homestead. They are prominent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Z. S. Hines was educated in the township schools, and engaged in farming until 1877, when he moved to Shippensville, Clarion Co., Penn., where he kept a hotel for two years. He was elected justice of the peace, which office he held four years. In 1882 he came to Marienville and established his present business, also erecting, in September, 1888, the Forest House, of which he has since been proprietor. December 8, 1869, he married Miss Nancy J. Reimer, of Clarion county, and they have three children: A. E. (in partnership with his father), Abigail (wife of Harvey Stanley, in Tylersburg, Penn.) and May (at home). Politically Mr. Himes is a Republican; has filled the office of township commissioner, and is now school director. He is a member of the P. O. S. of A., and has been identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church for thirty six years, twenty-two of which he was class leader.
C. F. HUNT, merchant, Marienville, a son of John D. and Marien F. (Blood) Hunt, was born in Jenks township, Forest Co., Penn., September 22, 1852. He received his education in the township schools, and was graduated from Duff's Commercial College, at Pittsburgh. Learning telegraphy. Mr. Hunt worked for the United Pipe Line Company as operator for eight years, and in December, 1887, he established his present general store at Marienville, August 1, 1880, he married Miss Belle L., daughter of Samuel H. Collom. of Philadelphia, Penn., and they have two children: Leigh F. and Earle B. Mr. Hunt is identified with the Democratic party; is a member of the Patriotic Order Sons of America, the Sons of Temperance and the Equitable Aid Union. Mr. and Mrs. Hunt are members of the Presbyterian Church, of which he is a trustee.
J. W. KAHLE, Jr., of the firm of Kahle Bros. & Co., Marienville, was born in Clarion county, Penn., March 31, 1858, a son of J. W. and Ann (Cheers) Kahle. His father, who was a prominent man in Huntingdon county, Penn., finally settled in Clarion county, where he took an active part in Democratic politics, representing the county in the legislature in 1878 and 1879. J. W. Kahle, Jr., is the sixth in a family of eight living children, and received a good education, finishing in Allegheny College. Meadville, Penn., after which he engaged in oil producing in Venango and Warren counties, in company with his brothers, D. P. and J. C. The firm began operations in Marienville in January, 1888, and were successful in finding a good gas well. They immediately organized a plant, and have since supplied the town with gas. Mr. Kahle married in 1885, Miss Sadie Henry, of Clarion county, and they have two children: Wayne and Caribel. Mr. Kahle is a member of the Sons of Temperance, and of the Evangelical Church; he is a Democrat in politics.
CHARLES S. LEECH, lumber manufacturer and merchant, Marienville, was born in Clarion county, Penn., March 20, 1857. a son of John and Susan M. (Everhart) Leech, who moved from Centre county to Clarion, in 1844. Charles was educated at Carrier Seminary, and learned the printer's trade, which he followed four years. He carried on mercantile business at Licking- ville. for two years, and was one year at Tylersburg. He then engaged in drilling oil wells through the entire oil field, from 1880 until 1885, when he came to Marienville, where he erected his present planing mill, and has since added a saw-mill, with a daily capacity of 14,0l)l) feet. He established his present store, in 1888. He married in 1877, Miss Kittie B., daughter of Absalom Smullin, of Armstrong county, Penn., and they have three children: J. C., Edna and Frank. Mr. Leech is a Republican. He is a member of Jenks Lodge, No. 250, I. O. O. F., and of the A. O. U. W.
JOHN H. MENSCH, farmer, P. 0. Marionville, was born in Northumberland county, Penn., January 29. 1828, a son of Christian and Sarah (Hursh) Mensch, natives of that county, and who moved to Union county in 1839. His father was born in 1801, and died in 1887; his mother died in 1878. They reared eight children: Stephen (in Union county, Penn.), Lewis (in Centre county, Penn.) Elizabeth (Mrs. Silas Roadarmel, in Union county, Penn.), Drnzilla (Mrs. Daniel Harter, in Wayne county, Ohio), Mary Ann (in Union county, Penn.), Hannah (Mrs. Henry Strickler, also in Union county, Penn,), Henrietta (Mrs. John Klingman, in Northumberland county), and John H. The subject of these lines carried on farming in Northumberland county. He was married, in 1860, to Miss Susanna C. Keller, daughter of Henry Keller, of Columbia county, Penn., and settled on his present farm in Jenks township, Forest county, in 1874. Mr. and Mrs. Mensch are the parents of two children: Florence (Mrs. John Paul) and Lewis (at home). Mr. Mensch is identified with the Democratic party, and has filled various township offices. He was formerly a member of the Lutheran Church, but is now an elder in the Presbyterian Church.
J. H. MORRISON, lumber manufacturer, Marienville, was born in Jefferson county, Penn., August 3, 1851, a son of Robert and Martha (Brown) Morrison, the latter of whom, a native of Ireland, came to America when six years of age with her parents, who settled in Clarion county, Penn. The father of our subject was a lumberman by occupation. On August 27,1861, he enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was killed at the battle of the Wilderness in 1864. His widow afterward married Patterson Leech, and they now reside in Jefferson county. There were six children in the family: J. H., W. A. (in Jefferson county), R. M. (in Marienville), S. S. G. (in Montana), J. A. (in Iowa) and Lina E. (Mrs. Cecil Gross, in Marienville). J. H. Morrison learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed for some years. In 1884 he came to Marienville, and has since been engaged in manufacturing lumber, having mills in Jenks township with a capacity of 14,000 feet daily. He married, in 1876, Miss Elizabeth, daughter of James R. Thompson, of Jefferson county, and they have six children: Margaret Elnora, Martha Elsie, Robert Irwin, James Blaine, George Loraine and an infant. In politics Mr. Morrison is a Republican, and is a member of the school board.
JAMES J. PARSONS, farmer, P. O. Marionville, was born in Clarion county, Penn., February 17, 1844, and is a son of David and Maria (Wilkey) Parsons, who cleared a large farm in Clarion county, and afterward moved to Ohio, settling in Mahoning county. He affiliated with the Democratic party, and was with the one-hundred-day men, commonly called the "Squirrel Hunters," in the Morgan raid. He died in Ohio in 1868, a member of the Presbyterian Church; his widow now resides in Brookville, Penn. They reared four children: Catherine (wife of Munson Cotton, in Reynoldsville, Penn.), Elizabeth (wife of Harvey Craig, in Bethlehem, Penn.), John (went west when about twenty years of age, and while there raised a company and entered the service of his country as a captain, rising to the rank of colonel; he was killed at Atlanta, Ga.) and James J., who remained on the homestead until 1851, when he came to Marienville, and lived with Col. John D. Hunt until he attained his majority. In April, 1861, he enlisted in Company K, Eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers (three months' troops), and served the term of his enlistment; then re-enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers. In 1863 he re enlisted as a veteran in the same company, and served as lieutenant of same until the close of the war. He was wounded at the battle of Fair Oaks and at Gettysburg, also at Deep Bottom, Va., and was struck in the right breast with a grape-shot, at Chan cellorsville, also struck on the buckle of his belt and knocked off of the works at Spottsylvania. He never left his command, except on account of wounds received at Fair Oaks and Gettysburg, though they were all severe. After the close of the war he returned to Forest county, and has since followed lumbering and farming. He mar ried, May 4, 1868, Miss Marien F., daughter of David S. and Emeline Eldridge, of Jenks township, and they have seven children: Reid, Bertha, William, Ella, Mable, David and Nellie. Mr. Parsons is an active member of the Republican party, and has served as county commissioner since 1887. Ho was postmaster at Marienville four years, and has filled various township offices. He is member of Capt. George Stowe Post, No. 224. G. A. R.
T. J. REYNER. merchant, Marienville, was born in Clarion county, Penn., November 22, 1853. a son of William and Sarah (Henry) Reyner, also natives of Clarion county. The father, who was a carpenter by trade, a Republican in politics, and a member of the Universalist Church, died in 1872; the mother is still living. They reared six children, as follows: C. B., S. H., D. E., W. C. (all of Tylersburg. Penn.), T. J. and Ada (living with T. J.) Mr. Reyner was educated at the public schools of Clarion county, and learned the trade of a carpenter, which he followed for three years. In 1879 he engaged in mercantile business, in Jefferson county, Penn. and continued there for three years. In June, 1882, he came to Marienville, and established his present business, erecting the first stone building in the town. He married, in 1877, Miss Jennie, daughter of Conrad Damer, of Clarion county, Penn., and they have three children: Sarah, John B. and Ida. Mr. Reyner is a member of the Republican party, and for several years was auditor of Jenks township. He is a member of Jenks Lodge. No 250,I. O. O. F., and of the P. O. S. of A., No. 140.
SAMUEL F. ROHRER (deceased) was born in Lancaster county, Penn.. October 15, 1817, a son of John and Magdalena (Herr) Rohrer, also natives of Lancaster county, and of German descent. The subject of this commemorative record attended the academy at Strasburg, in his native county, and fitted himself for college, but was prevented from entering the latter by his father's failure in business. It being Mr. Rohrer's earnest desire to become a physician, he pursued the study of medicine for some nine months, but being unable to carry out his plans, and being in a great measure influenced by his parents, he relinquished his studies in that direction, and turned his attention to civil engineering. In this connection he assisted in the surveying of the Cumberland Valley Railroad and other lines, but at length turned his attention to teaching, the schools in Berks, Venango and Clarion counties, Penn., first coming under his able tuition. Between the years 1855 and 1859 Mr. Rohrer moved to Forest county, where he taught school for over twenty-five years. He served as commissioners' clerk for several years, county surveyor, township treasurer, etc., and was county superintendent of Forest county three consecutive terms. He was very active in all educational enterprises, and took great interest in the system of public instruction. He died in Marienville, Penn., January 19, 1888. Mr. Rohrer was an honorable, upright man, and had the unqualified good-will of the community in which he lived. He was married October 12, 1870. to Miss C. L. Blood, daughter of Cyrus Blood, of Marienville, and one child was born to this union, Miss Mary Rohrer, who resides in Marienville with her mother.
GEORGE W. ROSE, farmer and justice of the peace, P. O. Marionville. was born at Silver Lake, Susquehanna Co., Penn., October 25, 1813, a son of James and Isabella (Hall) Rose, natives of Philadelphia. Penn. His father was a lawyer by profession, and practiced in Philadelphia, afterward at the bar of Susquehanna county, where he moved to act as agent for the Bingham lands. He was a prominent member of the Whig party, and served as treasurer of the county for one term. The mother of George W. died in 1816. and the father married, for his second wife, Clarissa Griswold, of Vermont, who is also deceased. The father died in 1840. His family consisted of nine children, all by the first wife, two of whom are living: Mary B. (wife of Frederick Leonard, in Bradford county, Penn.), and George W., who was reared in Susquehanna county, Penn., and received his education at the high schools of Tioga county, N. Y. At the age of fourteen years he went to Potter county, Penn., and when he was eighteen moved to Clarion county, where he was one of the pioneer school teachers. In 1854 he came to Forest county, and located on his present farm, in Jenks township, which was then a wilderness. He has cleared 150 acres, and made all the improvements with the help of his family. He married. July 16, 1844. Miss Lodema, daughter of Joseph Gates, of Albany, N. Y. She died in 1852, leaving four children, three of whom are living: James (on the homestead), Mary Isabella (widow of Warren P. Mercelliott, and living with her father), and Annie (wife of John De Hoover, of Brookville, Penn.); Elizabeth is deceased. Mr. Rose was again married, on this occasion, in 1852, to Miss Harriet Barnes, of Warren county, Penn., by whom two children were born: Timothy (residing in Michigan), and Walter (deceased). Mr. Rose has always been an active member of the Democratic party, and held the office of justice of the peace since twenty-four years of age, except from 1857 to 1863, when he served as prothonotary of Forest county. He has also been superintendent of schools for many years.
JOHN P. SHIPE, farmer. P. O. Marionville, was born in Northumberland county, Penn., September 15, 1840, a son of Abraham and Sarah Ann (Culp) Shipe, natives of Northumberland county, and farmers by occupation, former of whom died in 186(5. and latter December 27, 1865. They were prominent members of the German Reformed Church. They reared nine children, four of whom are living: Jonas, in Kansas: Sarah, wife of Eli Persing, in Northumberland county; Abraham K., in Jenks township, this county, and John P. The subject of this sketch was reared in his native county, and in 1865 married Miss Lucinda Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Keller, of Columbia county, Penn. In 1874 they moved to Forest county, where he has since been engaged in farming and lumbering in Jenks township. Mr. and Mrs. Shipe have four children: Henry A., Daniel H., Annie Ester and James Albert. Mr. Shipe affiliates with the Democratic party, and has filled various township offices. The family are members of the German Reformed Church. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Northumberland county, Penn.
A. D. STULL, merchant, Marionville. was born in Fayette county, Penn., April 14, 1839, and is it son of David and Sarah (Davis) Stull, of Cambria and Fayette counties, Penn., respectively. A. D. Stull moved in 1842, with his parents, to Clarion county, where they engaged in farming near Edenburg. His father was a Democrat, and served as justice of the peace for five years. Mr. Stull remained on the homestead until he was seventeen years of age,' receiving a common-school education. In 1855 he engaged as clerk in the mercantile business, and in a few years became a member of the firm, which partnership existed eight years. He then engaged in business at Parker's Landing, Penn., for two years, was four years in Pittsburgh, Penn.. after which he established his present prosperous business at Marionville. in February. 1889. He married, in 1861, Miss Mary P., daughter of Daniel B. and Annie Curll, of Clarion county, Penn., and she died in 1872, leaving three children: William Reynolds, in Clarion; Josephine Plummer, wife of Bart Sheridan, in Pittsburgh, Penn., and Clara Van Lier, living at home. Mr. Stull was again married, on this occasion June 20, 1889, to Miss Annie A. Rankin, of Clarion county. Mr. Stull sent a substitute to the war of the Rebellion. He is a member of Clarion Lodge, No. 277, F. & A. M., and of Clarion Presbyterian Church.
DR. S. S. TOWLER. Marienville. was born in Manchester, England, June 6, 1843, a son of Rev. William and Mary (Phillips) Towler, who came to America in 1845 and located in New York City, where the father had charge of a Methodist Church Rev. William Towler was one of the noted ministers of his country, and was sent to New York by special request to take charge of American missions. He died in that city, November 4, 1846. The mother and family soon after removed to Toronto, Canada, and while on a visit to her brother in England, in 1870, she died. Four of their children are living: Mary, wife of John Flesher. in Manitoba; John P., in Chicago; Dr. S. S., and Charles, a commercial traveler, in Collingwood, Canada. Dr. S. S. Towler was reared in Canada until seventeen years of age, and was educated in Toronto Model School. In I860 he located at Cleveland, Ohio, and remained there until 1863 when he went into the quartermaster's department at Nashville Tenn., and was honorably discharged in 1863. He read medicine with Drs. Mahaffey and Hickman, of Cleveland, and graduated from the University of Michigan in 1873. He first began practice at Reynoldsville, then moved to Millerstown, Butler Co., Penn., and in 1878 came to Marienville, where he has since practiced his profession. He also operates in oil and hardwood timber. He married, in 1874, Miss Clara B., daughter of the late Col. John D. Hunt, of Marienville, and they have two children: Maude and Harold. The Doctor is a member of the Butler County Medical Society; has acted as surgeon for the Pittsburgh & Western Railroad for many years, and is a member of the National Association of Railroad Surgeons. He is a member of Jenks Lodge, No. 250, I. O. O. F.; of the E. A. U., No. 351, and is deputy grand worthy patriarch of the Sons of Temperance. He is a Republican in politics, and has filled the office of justice of the peace for ten years. He is an elder in the Presbyterian Church. Dr. Towler is medical examiner for the Equitable Life Insurance Company, of New York; the Penn Mutual, of Philadelphia; the Metropolitan; the Mutual Benefit, of New York; the New England Mutual; the People's Mutual, of Pittsburgh; the A. O. U. W., and the E. A. U.
J. B. WATSON, proprietor of the Watson House, Marienville, was born in Perry township, Armstrong Co., Penn., December 9, 1827, a son of Abraham and Rachel Watson, former of whom was born at Spencer Creek, Centre Co., Penn., latter born in Venango county, same State. In 1804 Abraham Watson, moved with his father, Thomas Watson, to that part of Armstrong county which is now Clarion county. They settled near the Poke Furnace, engaging in farming and lumbering, and were among the first and prominent families of the county. Thomas Watson was a colonel in the war of 1812. He drilled the first salt well in Clarion county, at the mouth of Deer Creek on the Clarion river. Abraham Watson was Democratic in politics, voting twice for Gen. Jackson, and was a prominent member of the Presbyterian Church. He died in January, 1876; his wife died in 1866. Their children were as follows: Clemens, in Whiteside county, Ill. ; J. B.; Jane, Mrs. Harrison Elliott, in Cleveland, Ohio; Hannah, Mrs. J. R. Wick, in Rimersburg, Clarion Co., Penn. ; Sarah, Mrs. Samuel Rupert, living on the homestead; Thomas, who was a member of Company A, One Hundred and Third Pennsylvania Volunteers, and died near Newport News, Va.; Annie, wife of John C. Richart, of Perry township, Clarion Co., Penn.; Margaret H., who died at the age of twenty-one years. J. B. Watson was reared on the homestead farm, obtaining his education mostly by studying at home. He was possessed of a fine voice, and for a number of years was engaged in teaching vocal music. His principal occupation was lumbering up to 1860, at which time he began operating in oil at Titusville. In 1869 he was elected prothonotary of Clarion county, serving six years in that capacity, after which he again resumed the oil business at Ebeusburgh, continuing in same until 1881. Coming to Forest county December 12, 1882, Mr. Watson built his present hotel at Marienville. He married, in 1859, Miss Margaret Caroline, daughter of John and Hannah Murray, of Clarion county, and by this union they reared three children: Hannah K., who died May 18, 1888; Edwin Alexander, land agent at Springfield, Kas., and John Thomas, living at home. Mr. Watson is a stanch Democrat, and takes an active part in county politics. In 1873 he established the Jackson, of Clarion county, which paper he edited for some years. During the war of the Rebellion he received a captain's commission, but owing to an attack of bilious fever was unable to serve. He was appointed postmaster, at Marienville. in November, 18S5, and served until July 1, 1889. He was a member of Clarion Lodge, No. 252, I. O. O. F., and passed all the chairs; is also a member of Clarion Lodge, F. & A. M. Mr. and Mrs. Watson were members of the Presbyterian Church, but lately Mr. Watson declined to act as a ruling elder for good and valid reasons, and gave his name as a member to unite with the Methodist Episcopal Church. His hotel was burned with half its contents, January 1, 1890, at about one o'clock A. M., with a loss of $3,500, and no insurance. The cause of the fire was the melting of a stove in a barber shop, through over pressure of gas. With characteristic energy and vim, in two days after the fire, Mr. Watson began to arrange for another and larger house.
D. E. WHITE, machinist, Marienville, was born in Erie county, N. Y., in 1853, and is a son of James H. and Jane (Joslin) White, natives of Erie county, and farmers by occupation. D. E. White received an ordinary education, after which he learned the machinist's trade, at which he has since worked. In 1882 he came to Marienville in connection with the hub factory, and since the burning of the same has been engaged in business for himself, operating a machine shop. In 1875 he married Miss Maria Bevier, of Erie county, N. Y., and they have one child, Eugene. Mr. White is independent in politics. He is a member of Jenks Lodge, I. O. O. F., of Marienville.
A. COOK, lumber manufacturer and merchant, Cooksburg, was born in Venango county, Penn., in 1824, a son of John and Susan (Helpman) Cook. The father was born east of the Alleghany mountains, and eventually settled in that part of Jefferson (now Forest) county, where he entered a tract of land and built a saw mill. Running the lumber down the river to Pittsburgh on these trips (which he made in a canoe), he would bring back provisions for his family. His first wife dying in 1830, he married, for his second, Mrs. Ritter, who died in 1872. John Cook belonged to the old Whig party, and filled many of the early offices of the county. He died in 1858. Hon. A. Cook, who was one in a family of eleven children, was educated in the schools of the period, and when young, began to assist his father in his business. In 1846 he started in the lumber business for himself, and has since been one of the extensive dealers in the county; by hard work and good judgment, his firm has become one of the wealthiest in the county. He owns large tracts of timber land, a large mill at Pittsburgh and the mill at Cooksburg. which town was principally built by him, and is named in honor of him. Mr. Cook married, in 1849, Miss Robecca Ann, daughter of John Mays, of Forest county, and they have reared six children: J. W. (at home), A- W. (attending to the Pittsburgh branch of the business), and Jake, Ida May, Burt and Hattie, all at home. Mr. Cook has always been identified with the Republican party. In 1870 he was elected associate judge of the county, serving five years. He has also filled the offices of county auditor, county commissioner, and all other local offices. He has been a stockholder and officer in the Second National Bank of Clarion. Penn., since its formation, and for the past three years its president. He is a believer in the Universalist doctrine.
G. W. ELDER. proprietor of the Shields House, Clarington, was born in Clarion county, Penn., May 28, 1832, a son of William and Mary (Barr) Elder, natives of Centre county, Penn. He received his education in Clarion county, and has since followed lumbering and farming. In 1880 he came to Claring ton, and engaged in boat building, which he still follows. In 1884 he took possession of his present hotel. He married, in 1858, Miss Alvina Shaffer, daughter of Charles Shaffer, of Venango county, and they have nine children: Charles, in Venango county; John A. and L. S., in Barnett township; G. B., at home; Emma, wife of Dr. H. Simming, in Barnett township; Ida, wife of Isaac Payne, in Gilfoyle, Penn.; W. S., in Barnett township; Jennie and J. K., at home. Mr. Elder is a Democrat; he sent a substitute to the war of the Rebellion. Mrs. Elder is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
JOSEPH HALL, farmer and lumberman, P. O. Redelyffc, was born in Butler county, Penn., May 23, 18-15, a son of Cornelius and Susan (Slater) Hall, former of whom was born in Crawford county, Penn., of Prussian and French parentage, latter being a native of Clarion county, same State. They were farmers by occupation, and prominent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Cornelius Hall was a Democrat in politics, and filled various township offices; he died in Butler county, Penn., in 1874; his widow yet survives. Their family consisted of thirteen children, twelve of whom are still living: John H. (in Clarion county), Joseph, Samuel J. (in Oklahoma). Susan (wife of August P. VonSlyke, in Wisconsin), Jerry M., Cornelius W. (in Redclyffe), Nancy A. (wife of John Stevenson, in Butler county), Mary J. (wife of Lewis Stevenson, also in Butler county), Thomas A. (in St. Louis), Melinda (wife of Henry Young, in Redelyffe), Melvin A. and William C. (also in Redely ffe). Joseph Hall was reared and educated in Butler county, Penn., and has been principally engaged in lumbering in Clarion, Elk and Forest counties, settling in Barnett township, this county, in 1866. He married, in 1807, Miss Harriet, daughter of Robert Huling, and they have had seven children: Sarah O. (Mrs. J. B. Work, in Jenks township), Cora A. (Mrs. E. L. Sutton, in Redely ffe), Lewis R., Mary E., Matilda S., Alice (deceased) and Hattie. Mr. Hall in politics is a Republican. He has been auditor, and is now school director of the township. He has been steward and exhorter in the United Brethren Church.
CORNELIUS W. HALL, farmer, P. 0. Redclyffe, was born in Butler county, Penn., January 31. 1854. He has been principally engaged in farming and lumbering, settling in Barnett township, Forest county, in 1885. He married, in 1885, Miss Aurissa, daughter of John H. Love, of Forest county, and they have two children: Benjamin Melvin and Bessie A. Mr. Hall is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; in politics an adherent of the Republican party.
ROBERT HULING (deceased) was born at Lock Haven, Penn., December 25, 1809, a son of William and Jane (Chatham) Huling. natives of that place. In 1820 they moved to Clarion county, Penn., where Robert received an ordinary education. He learned the blacksmith's trade, which he followed for some years, and in 183i) he moved to Jefferson county, where he worked at his trade and also cleared a farm. In 1857 he came to Forest county, and here settled upon his late farm in Barnett township. Mr. Huling married, in 1837, Miss Mary Mays, daughter of John Mays, of Forest county, and they reared eight children, four of whom are living: Albert and John (in Redclyffe), Louisa (wife of Emanuel Cook, in Jefferson county) and Harriet (wife of Joseph Hall, also in Redclyffe). Mr. Huling died July 2, 1888, a prominent member of the United Brethren Church. Politically he has always been identified with the Republican party, and filled various township offices.
WILLIAM SHIELDS, retired, Clarington, was born in North Londonderry, Ireland, August 9, 1820, and is a son of William and Margaret (Douglass) Shields. He was educated in Ireland, and in 1847 came to America, remaining in New York City for some time, then went to Putnam county, N. Y.. where he obtained employment in the blacksmith department of the West Point Foundry, remaining there three years. In 1850 he moved to Jefferson county, Penu., and obtained employment in the lumber woods. May 1, 1851, he came to ClariDgton, and for five years worked for Mr. Armstrong. He then purchased the hotel known as the Shields House, which he conducted for twenty-one years, and since then he has been engaged in farming. Mr. Shields married, October 13, 1851, Miss Nancy Winlack, of Jefferson county, Penn., and they have reared three children: W. D. and S. H., merchants in Clarington, and Jennie, living at home. Mr. Shields is a member of the Democratic party, and served five years as justice of the peace.
WILLIAM D. SHIELDS, lumber manufacturer and merchant, Clarington, a son of William and Nancy (Winlack) Shields, was born at Clarington. Forest Co., Penn., May 18, 1858. He was educated at the township schools, and Iron City Commercial College, at Pittsburgh, and has since been engaged in lumbering, boat-building, etc., in connection with his brother, S. H. Shields, under the firm name of W. D. & S. H. Shields. They also conduct a general mercantile business, which was established in 1881. Our subject was married, in 1884, to Miss Edith, daughter of Henry L. Van Horn, of Indiana county, Penn., and they have one child, Van S. Mr. Shields is identified with the Democratic party; was elected county commissioner in 1884, and is now serv ing his second term; has also filled various township offices. He is a member of Mingo Lodge, No. 502, I. O. O. F., of Clarion county, and of the K. of P.. No. 477, of Brookville, Jefferson county.
T. W. CORAH, merchant, Balltown, was born in Leicestershire. England, January 29, 1848, a son of John and Annie M. (Dawson) Corah, who came to America in 1853, located in Herkimer county, N. Y., and engaged in farming. The father died there in 1856; the mother remarried, and now resides in Erie county, N. Y. She had four children by her first husband. One son, Henry, was A member of the One Hundredth New York Volunteer Regiment, and died in the Baltimore Hospital. T. W. Corah was educated in Erie county, N. Y., and in 1808 moved to the oil country, where he went through the whole field as laborer, producer, etc. In 1884 he located in Balltown, where he He's since been proprietor of the Balltown House, and in 1887 he established a general mercantile business. He married, in 1876, Miss Jennie Valentine, daughter of Heman Valentine, of Warren county, Penn., and they have six children: Jessie May, Edgar, Edward Milton, Viola C, Edna Blanche and Lena. Mr. Corah is a Democrat in politics, and served the county as auditor three years; also filled other township offices. He is a member of Tionesta Lodge, No. 557. F. & A. M.
WILLIAM H. FROST, lumber manufacturer, P. O. Pigeon,, was born in Broekwayville, Jefferson Co., Penn., November 0. 1843, a son of Abial and Mary Ann (Wilson) Frost, natives of New York State (the former born in 1 HOW), and early settlers in Jefferson county. His father, who was a sawyer, operated one of the first mills in the county, and afterward settled upon a farm, becoming one of the prominent men of the county, and enjoying a reputation for uprightness and integrity. He was identified with the Democratic , party, and filled various township offices: he was a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for many years. He died February 12, 1889, his wife having died in 1857. Four of their children are still living: Elizabeth (wife of Justice Gage, in Brockwayville), John W. (on the homestead in Jefferson county), William H. and Hiram (in Brockwayville). William H. Frost received an ordinary education, and has been engaged in the lumber business since he was eighteen years of age. He served in the war of the Rebellion under Capt. N. M. Brockway, and helped to capture Morgan in Ohio. In December, 1880, he came to Forest county, first locating in Jenks township, where he has since been engaged in manufacturing lumber, under the firm names of W. H. Frost and Damon & Frost and W. H. Frost & Co., etc. December 25, 1863, he married Miss Annice Powell, daughter of Reuben and Angeline Powell, of Brockwayville, Penn., and they have six children: Elizabeth, Mary, Annie, Wilson, Angeline and Raymond. Mr. Frost is independent in politics, an advocate of prohibition, and served as postmaster at Pigeon for seven years. In 1882 he established a small store at that place, and his business increased until he was obliged to erect a new building. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
J. L. SAXTON, merchant, Balltown, was born in Chautauqua county, N. Y., March 10, 1836, a son of Charles and Samantha (Howe) Saxton. He received an ordinary education, and engaged in farming. For twelve years he followed the oil fields in different kinds of labor, and in 1883 located at Bulltown, where he established his present business. In 1857 he married Miss Angeline, daughter of Peter Schofield, of Chautauqua county, N. Y. She died in 1877, leaving six children: Riley and Rosetta (in Chautauqua county), George, Ada (now Mrs. Simon Freer, in Kansas City, Mo.), Alonzo (at Sheffield Junction, Penn.), and Maude (now Mrs. Henry Odell, in Derrick City, Penn.). Mr. Saxton, afterward married, in 1880, Mrs. Lacell. • He affiliates with the Republican party, and has served as overseer of the poor, and in various local offices. He is class-leader in the Methodist Episcopal Church.
R. R. ANDREWS, merchant, Kellottville, was born in Newburg, N. Y., October 25, 1845, a son of Ransom and Julia (Barnes) Andrews, natives of Chenango county, N. Y. His father was a printer by trade, and edited the Arus, of Binghampton. N. Y., for a number of years, and was afterward connected in business with Horace Greeley, in New York City. He now resides in Canada. R. R. Andrews received an ordinary education, and in 1865 enlisted in the Twentieth New York Battery, serving until the close of the war, after which he engaged in the extract business, at Painted Post, N. Y., Trout Run, Lycoming Co., Penn., and Smethport, McKean Co., Penn. In 1882 he came to Kellettville, and took charge of the extract works for W. W. Kcllett until 1884, when he established his present mercantile business. After leaving Trout Run Mr. Andrews traveled in Europe, making London, England, his headquarters, his family stopping at South Konsingtou, London, for one year. After making the second trip, he traveled through the Southwestern States for the same man, N. Spencer Thomas, of Elmira, N. Y., and in the spring of 1889 he took a trip through Oregon and Washington Territories, returning by way of California and Salt Lake. Mr. Andrews married, in 1878. Miss Maria Rarick, of New York State, and they have one child, Charles. Our subject is identified with the Republican party, and was appointed postmaster in 1887. Mr. and Mrs. Andrews are members of the Free Methodist Church.
E. BERLIN, merchant and farmer, Whig Hill, was born in Clarion county, Conn. , January 11, 183"), a son of Paul and Nancy (Toman) Berlin, former a native of Westmoreland county, Penn., and the latter of Clarion county, Penn. Jacob Berlin, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was one of the early settlers of Clarion county. He was in the war of 1S12, and died at the age of ninety-eight years. Paul Berlin was reared and married in Clarion county, and became one of the prominent farmers of the vicinity. He came to Forest county in the spring of 1855, and settled on the present farm of E. Berlin. He was a Democrat in politics, and a member of the Lutheran Church. He died in 1873, and his widow in 1876. They reared nine children: Lavina (Mrs. Jacob Myers, in Olean, N. Y.), Elizabeth (Mrs. William Reed, in Clarion county, Penn.), E., Jacob (who was killed by an accident in 1885), Annie (Mrs. Joseph Swailes, in Pittsburgh, Penn.), Sarah (Mrs. Wesley Whitehill, in Kingsley township), John H. (also in Kingsley township), Lucy (Mrs. Raymond Graham, also in Kingsley township) Nancy E. (Mrs. William Bailey, in Warren county, Penn.). Mr. Berlin came with his parents to Forest county, Penn., and has since resided on the homestead. He married, in 1859, Miss Hannah Neil, daughter of Robert Neil, of Venango county, Penn., and by her has seven children: J. E. (a merchant in Mayburg), Elizabeth (Mrs. Thomas Flynn, in Green township), Ida (Mrs. Thomas Bruce, in Warren county), Derilla J. (Mrs. John Shank, in Kingsley township). * Robert Adelbert Edith and Mabel. Mr. Berlin has been extensively engaged in lumbering in connection with farming. In 1883 he established his present mercantile business at Whig Hill. He is a Democrat in politics; has served as county commissioner for seven years, also filled various township offices. He was appointed postmaster in 1884. and still holds that office. The family attend the Methodist Episcopal Church.
JOHN H. BERLIN, farmer, P. 0. Whig Hill, a son of Paul and Nancy (Toman) Berlin, was born in Clarion county, Penn., January 15, 1840, and was reared and educated in his native county. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company G. Eighty-third Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served until the close of the war. He was wounded at the battle of Laurel Hill, taken prisoner and confined in Richmond Hospital, and for two weeks in Libby Prison. After the close of the war, he came to Forest county, and engaged in lumbering. He married, in 1868, Miss Lavina L. Beck, daughter of Jacob Beck, of Kingsley township, Forest county, and they have since resided on his present farm. He has five children: Mary May (Mrs. Richard Flynn), Ida Catherine (Mrs. Charles Hoover), Jacob L., Clemor H. and Ludia Elizabeth, all at home. Mr. Berlin is a Democrat in politics, and is a member of Tionesta Post. No. 274, G. A. R. He is a trustee in the Evangelical Church.
WILLIAM A. DUSENBURY, merchant and lumber manufacturer, of the firm of Dusenbury & Wheeler, Newtown Mills, was born in Cattaraugus county. N. Y., September 17, 1838, a son of Henry and Caroline (Butler) Dusenbury. of Delaware county, N. Y. He was reared in his native county, was educated in the township schools, and has always followed the lumber business. October 4, 1867, he came to Forest county, and located at Newtown Mills, where he has since resided. He manufactures an average of 3.000,900 feet of lumber per year; also conducts a tannery and mill at West Hickory. In 1878 he married Miss Helen Truesdale, daughter of Hiram Truesdale. a native of Warren county, N. Y. (now deceased), and Helen (Cameron) Truesdale, and they have two children: William A. and Edgar Truesdale. Mr. Dusenbury is identified with the Republican party, and has held the office of justice of the peace and other township offices. He has been postmaster at Newtown Mills since 1868. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
C. F. GILLESPIE, farmer, P. O. Whig Hill, was born in Kittanning, Armstrong Co., Penn., March 31, 1827, a son of David and Rebecca (Hayse) Gillespie, of Scotch-Irish nativity. When he was eleven years of age he removed to Sandy Lake, Penn., where he assisted his father in clearing a farm. At the age of nineteen years, he went to Franklin, Penn., where he learned the saddler's trade, and worked in the iron works at that place. In 1849 he came to Forest county, and worked at plastering and painting in Tionesta, and then for thirteen years manufactured lumber for H. Stowe. He removed to his farm in Whig Hill, in October, 1865, and here he has since resided. Mr. Gillespie married, September 23, 1853, Miss Catherine E., daughter of Henry and Dorothy Zuendel,and to them have been born five sons and one daughter: Frank, R. Z., H. E., W. S., F. W. and Katie E.
GEORGE S. HINDMAN, farmer, P. 0. Whig Hill, was born in Armstrong county, Penn., October 15, 1834, a son of William and Mary (Long) Hindman, natives of that county. He came to Forest county in 1859, and followed lumbering at Newtown Mills until 1861, when he enlisted in Company G, Eighty-third P. V. I., being honorably discharged in 1863. He then engaged in lumbering until 1867, in which year he settled on his present farm. He married, in 1864, Miss Matilda J. Manross, daughter of William Manross, of Venango county, and they have four children: William, Mary (Mrs. L. H. Barnes, of Kingsley township), Frank and Irene. Mr. Hindman is a Democrat, and has filled various township offices. He is a member of Tionesta Post, No. 274, G. A. R., and of the Evangelical Church, in which he is steward.
CHARLES A. HOWE, superintendent of the Tionesta Tanning Company, Tionesta, was born in New Bedford, Mass., December 16, 1832, a son of Roswell and Sylvia (Freeman) Howe, of Plymouth county, Mass., and Windham county, Vt., respectively. Mr. Howe was reared in his native county, until twelve years of age. He secured his education by his own efforts, and entered a mercantile store as clerk, where he obtained a good business training. He afterward served an apprenticeship to the tanning business, under his uncle, after which he had charge of tanneries in New Hampshire and Vermont. In April, 1886, he came to Tionesta, and built the present tannery at Kellettville for the Tionesta Tanning Company, and has since acted as general superintendent of the same, having full charge of the business. July 3, 1871, he married Miss Lucy A. Bazin, daughter of John Bazin, of New Market, N. H., and by her has two children: Charles Roswell and Benjamin Freeman. Mr. Howe is identified with the Republican party. He is a member of King Solomon'8 Lodge, No. 43, F. & A. M., of Bellows Falls, Vt.
JOHN R. OSGOOD, lumber jobber and justice of the peace, Newtown Mills, was born at Newtown Mills, Penn., July 28, 1858, a son of Hiram and Christiana (Shelus) Osgood. John Osgood, the grandfather of John R. and who was a miller by occupation, settled in Kingsley township, Forest Co., Penn., about the year 1834. Hiram Osgood, who was a lumberman and farmer, died in January, 1880; his widow still survives him. John R. Osgood was educated at the township schools, and has always been engaged in jobbing lumber. He married, September 6, 1883, Miss Annie, daughter of Seibert Burhen, of Kingsley township, and they have one child, Katie May. Politically, Mr. Osgood is a Republican, and has filled various township offices. In February, 1889, he was elected justice of the peace. He is a member of Tionesta Lodge, No. 369, I. O. O. F.
JONAS SHUNK, farmer, P. 0. Whig Hill, was born in Centre county, Penn., January 22, 1833, a son of John and Lydia (Breune) Shunk, of that county. In 1848 he moved to Venango county, and afterward settled in Forest county, locating on his present farm in 1875. He married, in 1855, Miss Susanna Young, daughter of Joseph Young, of Clarion county, and they have six children: Isaac (in Ohio), John (in Kingsley township, married to Hilda Berlin, and has one child, Gertrude), Ida (Mrs. I. C. Delo, also in Kingsley township), Minnie, Dnrie and Nellie. In 1863 Mr. Shank enlisted in Company K, Seventy-sixth P. V. I., serving until the close of the war; he was wounded at Petersburg, July 30, 1864. Mr. Shunk is a member of Tionesta Post, No. 274, Gr. A. B. He is a steward in the Methodist Episcopal Church; in politics a Republican.
WILLIAM TOBEY, lumber manufacturer, Kellettville, Penn., was born in Chautauqua county, N. Y., August 9, 1825, a son of Alden and Bloomey (Bugg) Tobey, of Vermont. Mr. Tobey remained on the homestead until thirty years of age, when he engaged in lumbering in Cattaraugus and adjoining counties. In April, 1856, he went to McKean county, Penn., and acted as superintendent for a lumber firm, for five years, and afterward went to Warren county, where he remained four years, and from there he came to Balltown, Forest county, where he operated the lumber-mill for Howe & Co. In 1867 he settled upon his present homestead, and has since had charge of the Buck mills. Mr. Tobey was first married in 1849, to Jane Mason, of Cattaraugus county, N. Y., by whom he had four children: Darius, pastor of the Free Methodist Church in Franklin, Penn.; Kate, Mrs. Jas. T. Brennan, in Tionesta; Nettie, Mrs. Pat. Normill, in Tionesta, Penn., and Hattie L. In 1887 Mr. Tobey was again married, on this occasion, to Mrs. Mary Ann Catlin. He affiliates with the Democratic party, and has filled various township offices. He is a member of Tionesta Lodge, No. 369, I. O. O. F.
H. A. ZUENDEL, farmer, P. O. Starr, was born in Germany in 1821, a son of Henry and Dorothy Zuendel, who emigrated to America in 1840, and first located in Nebraska, Penn. In 1841 they settled on Dutch hill, on the farm now owned by Henry Kizer, which they cleared and improved. Henry Zuendel was an elder in the German Reformed Church, and helped build the first church on the hill. In 1865 he moved to Erie county, Penn., where he died in 1872; his widow still lives in that county. They reared six children: Conrad, in Erie county; John Adams, in Kingsley township; H. A.; Annie (Mrs. William White, in Kansas); Eva Elizabeth (Mrs. A. B. Boot, in the State of Washington) and Kate Elizabeth (Mrs. C. F. Gillespie, of Whig Hill). H. A. Zuendel was educated in Germany, and has followed the occupation of farming and lumbering, settling on his present farm in 1853. He married, in 1847, Miss Annie Christina Zuendel, daughter of Adam Zuendel, of Green township, and they have reared seven children: Elizabeth; George, in Green township; John H., in Kingsley township; Conrad; Ernest E., in Hickory township; John M. and Mary E. Mr. Zuendel was formerly a Democrat, but is now a supporter of the Prohibition party; for three years he served as county auditor, and three years as county commissioner; was school director for nineteen years, and filled various other township offices. He is class leader in the Evangelical Church, and has a local license to preach.
F. E. ALLISON, of East Hickory, was born in Clinton county, Penn., about five miles from the city of Lock Haven. His grandfather, Archibald Allison, who was of Scotch-Irish descent, born in 1718, was married to Mary Kennedy, third daughter of John Kennedy, a native of the shire of Galloway, and parish of Kirkniaddon, Scotland, November 1, 1730. They landed in America June 18, 1773, the family consisting of four sons: David, Mathew, Archibald, Jr., and James-and three daughters: Catherine, Jane and Eleanor. Archibald, Jr., was about six feet three inches in height, weighing about 190 pounds, "Cordy as an elk, and swift as a reindeer." He was an expert with the rifle in his day, and was a chosen scout of Lee and Washington. [See history of the early settlement in the eastern counties, also, history of Dauphin and Cumberland counties.] His brother, Mathew (the father of the subject of our sketch), was born September 15, 1756. He enlisted in the Revolutionary army, at the age of nineteen, and at the close of the war he received his pay in what was called "Continental money," which afterward proved to be worthless. He married Sarah Mahaffy, of Cumberland county, Penn., and to them were born four children: William, Margaret, Mary and Sarah. Removing from Cumberland to Nittany Valley. Mathew there purchased 200 acres of land, where he opened up a farm. In 1800 he was appointed by the governor of Pennsylvania to run the boundary line for a new county which he named '' Centre County,'' and for many terms served as commissioner of the same. After the death of his wife, Sarah, he married Miss Catherine Lamb, who bore him eight children: Samuel L. (who in turn enlisted and served during the war of 1812-13, under Gen. Wm. Harrison, grandfather of our present chief magistrate), Archibald, James, David, John, Jane, Catherine and Nellie. John removed to Ohio, married a Miss Mary Williams, and became the father of N William B. Allison, the present United States senator from Dubuque, Iowa; Jane married William Goodfellow, of Wayne county, Ohio; Nellie married James Moore, of Seneca county, Ohio, and Catherine married Hugh McManigal, of Big Valley, Centre Co., Penn. Mr. Allison was again married, to a Miss Sarah Baine, a Quakeress of Philadelphia, and to this union were born five children: Mathew Jackson Allison, of Enterprise, Warren county, Penn.; Mary Ann (now Mrs. George Rishel, of Clinton county), Robert C. Allison (a Presbyterian minister, graduate of Amherst College), died in Southerlaud, Mass., A. D. 1886; Thomas J. Allison (removed to Freeport, Ill., in 1846), died May 22, 1850. Their father died February 9, 1828. F. E. Allison was reared in Clinton county, in the small village of Salona, until he was eighteen years of age. When a youth he was the" village chore-boy," earning and receiving small sums of money for doing errands, shopping stove wood, etc., which money he invested in books, and tallow candles to enable him to study by night. Having obtained a fair education by his own efforts, he came to Venango county, and engaged in school teaching, but soon abandoned the profession as $13 were the highest monthly wages paid by the school boards; and it might be added here that he boarded around with the scholars, and occasionally '' aired the spare bed.'' He was employed as superintendent of an iron furnace by James Hughes, Myers & Hunter, for several years, and again accepted a similar position with William Cross, in Hickory township, where subsequently he engaged in the mercantile and lumber businesses. Mr. Allison was married in August, 1851, to Barbara A. Smith, and to them were born nine children, viz.: Orlando I., Josephine A., William Forest. Mary, Ann, Susan Almyra (now Mrs. I. L. Klienstiver), Emma Jane (now Mrs. N. G. Cole), Lucy Elvernon and Irvine Holbrook. Mrs. Allison died on November 17, 1885.• He has also an adopted daughter, Ellen C., who married James K. Green, now of Harmony. (The oldest son was blown up by the premature explosion of nitro-glycerine, near the mouth of Scrubgrass, in Venango county; he had a wife and three children-two boys and one girl). Josephine A. was thrown from a carriage near Plummer, Venango county, and killed, on the 4th of July, 1854. Politically Mr. Allison was one of the first Republicans in northern Venango county (now Forest), but is now among the prominent leaders of the Prohibition party. He is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source: Page(s) 951-970, History of Counties of McKean, Elk and Forest, Pennsylvania.
Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1890.
Published 2011 by the Forest County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project"
Return to Forest County Home Page
(c) Forest County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project