John W. Morrow
JOHN W. MORROW, physician and dentist, Tionesta, who was born in Armstrong county, Penn., June 2, 1837, is a son of William and Martha (Hutchinson) Morrow, and is of Scotch-Irish descent. He was reared in his native county, and educated at McElroy's school, Rural Village, and in Dayton Union Academy. In 1870 he began the study of medicine with Dr. J. M. Pettigrew, of Rural Village, and in the fall of 1871 entered Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, being graduated March 13, 1873. Prior to his study of medicine he taught school thirteen years. In the Civil war he served one year in Company M, Fifth Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, and was honorably discharged at the close of the struggle. In 1869 he took charge of the United Presbyterian Freedman's Mission School, at Vicksburg, Miss. In 1872 he began the practice of his profession in Atwood, Armstrong Co., Penn., and here he remained until l881, and was postmaster eight years. He then removed to Tionesta, where he has since resided, having built up a large and lucrative practice. The Doctor has been twice wedded: February 3, 1863, he married Rebecca M., daughter of John and Nancy (Harrison) McFarland, of Armstrong county, and by her had ten children, of whom six survive: Martha H., Nancy C., William G., Matilda C., James D. and Sarah M. On September 8, 1887, Dr. Morrow married his present wife, nee Martha J. Uncapher, of Indiana county, Penn. He is a member of the United Presbyterian Church, the Venango County Medical Society, and of the G. A. R. Politically he is a Republican, and is now serving his second term as coroner of Forest county. The Doctor is secretary of the board of pension examiners, which was appointed in Tionesta August 23. 1889.
Source: Page(s) 937, Chapter 15 Biographical Sketches - Tionesta Township and Borough of Tionesta
Hickory and Harmony Townships
History of Counties of McKean, Elk and Forest, Pennsylvania.
Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1890.
Transcribed November 2005 by Nathan Zipfel for the Forest County Genealogy Project
Published 2005 by the Forest County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project
Return to Forest County Home Page
(c) Forest County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project