H. W. Ledebur
H. W. LEDEBUR, miller, East Hickory, was born in Hanover, Germany, September 1,1838, and is a son of Conrad and Mary (Hawkes) Ledebur, former of whom came to America in 1841, and located in Pittsburgh, Penn., removing his family there in 1844. There the subject of these lines was reared from six years of age, and was educated in the public schools and Duff's Commercial College. He first came to Forest county in 1859, and located in Green township, where his father and several others had purchased 1,000 acres of land on German hill, which they divided up into 100 acre tracts, on which they placed settlers from Pittsburgh of German birth. Mr. Ledebur remained here two years, and on the breaking out of the Civil war, enlisted, in April, 18th, in Company G, Ninth Pennsylvania Reserves. He served three years and two months, when he was honorably discharged, after participating in the battles of the Potomac and Shenandoah Valley, including two battles of Fredericksburg, Bull Run, Antietam, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg and the Wilderness. In 1864 he returned to Forest county, and engaged in jobbing and cutting lumber in Kingsley township for seven years; then located in Nebraska, Green township, where he conducted a grist-mill for thirteen years; then removed to his farm in Green township, where he remained two years, coming to East Hickory in 1886. In 1887, in company with T. J. Bowman, he built the large grist-mill at East Hickory, which he has since conducted. Mr. Ledebur married, February 9, 1866, Sophia, daughter of William Thase, of Green township, by whom he had eight children: Amos F., Emma, Mary, Richard, Bennie (deceased), Ida, Arthur and Wilbur. Mr. Ledebur is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, of the I. O. O. F., A. O. U. W. and G. A. R. He served as justice of the peace of Green township two terms, and county commissioner also two terms. In politics he is a Republican.
Source: Page(s) 945-946, Chapter 15 Biographical Sketches - Tionesta Township and Borough of Tionesta
Hickory and Harmony Townships
History of Counties of McKean, Elk and Forest, Pennsylvania.
Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1890.
Transcribed December 2005 by Nathan Zipfel for the Forest County Genealogy Project
Published 2005 by the Forest County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project
Return to Forest County Home Page
(c) Forest County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project