JAMES HENDERSON, merchant, farmer and lumberman, East Hickory, was born in Venango county, Penn., in April, 1835, and is a son of Joseph and Martha (Dumas) Henderson, natives of Pennsylvania, and pioneers of Venango county. James Henderson was reared in his native county, where he received a limited common-school education, and in 1852 located in East Hickory, where he worked in a furnace for a time. At the beginning of the oil excitement he went to Oil City and boated oil down Oil creek until 1865, when he returned to Hickory, and settled on the farm where he now resides, and has since been engaged in farming and lumbering; he also embarked in the mercantile business, at East Hickory, in 1888. In 1886 Mr. Henderson married Nancy L., daughter of Hicks and Susan (Myers) Prather, of Hickory, who were among the pioneers of the township, and cleared and improved the farm now occupied by Mr. Henderson. To Mr. and Mrs. Henderson have been born six children: Almira (Mrs. George Meager), Louisa (Mrs. Walter P. Crouch), Frank, Nellie, John and James. Mr. Henderson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; has served one term as commissioner of Forest county, and in politics is an advocate of prohibition.
Source: Page(s) 945, Chapter 15 Biographical Sketches - Tionesta Township and Borough of Tionesta
Hickory and Harmony Townships
History of Counties of McKean, Elk and Forest, Pennsylvania.
Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1890.
Transcribed December 2005 by Nathan Zipfel for the Forest County Genealogy Project
Published 2005 by the Forest County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project
Return to Forest County Home Page
(c) Forest County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project