J. A. Dawson
J. A. DAWSON, farmer, P. O. Tionesta, was born in Allegheny township, Venango Co., (now Harmony, Forest county), Penn., July 13, 1835, and is a son of James and Elizabeth (Allender) Dawson. His father and paternal grandfather were natives of Ireland, and the latter a pioneer of Pit Hole, Venango Co., Penn. His maternal grandfather was of English descent, and a pioneer of what is now Harmony township. James Dawson settled as early as 1812 on the farm now occupied by his son J. A., cleared and improved it, and died there; he was a soldier of the war of 1812. He reared a family of seven children: Jane, Mrs. James Ronald; John A.; Phoebe, Mrs. John Sutherland; Fletcher; Nancy, Mrs. J. Tyler Watts; Isabel, Mrs. John Beatty; and George. J. A. Dawson was reared on the old homestead where, with the exception of four years of his life, he has always resided. He married, in 1868, Susie C., daughter of John W. and Parmelia (Fuller) Smith, of Crawford county, Penn., and they have two sons: George and Ralph. Mr. Dawson is a prominent farmer and leading citizen; politically he is a Republican. Two brothers, George and Fletcher, were in the Union army during the war of the Rebellion.
Source: Page(s) 947, Chapter 15 Biographical Sketches - Tionesta Township and Borough of Tionesta
Hickory and Harmony Townships
History of Counties of McKean, Elk and Forest, Pennsylvania.
Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1890.
Transcribed December 2005 by Nathan Zipfel for the Forest County Genealogy Project
Published 2005 by the Forest County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project
Return to Forest County Home Page
(c) Forest County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project