Nelson G. Ball
NELSON G. BALL, farmer, P. O. Pit Hole City, Venango Co., Penn., was born in what is now Hickory township, Forest Co., Penn., April 28, 1832, and is a son of Isaac and Sally (Manross) Ball, natives of Vermont, and among the pioneers of what is now Forest county, locating first in what is now Harmony township. Here the father conducted a saw-mill for a time, which was erected by George Siggins, but afterward came to Hickory township, and here engaged in lumbering. In 1832 he located in Balltown, built a saw-mill and commenced lumbering. Here he resided ten years, and then returned to Hickory township, where he erected a saw and grist-mill, which he conducted until his death. He had ten children: Fidelia (Mrs. John Gilson), Harriet (Mrs. Robert Hiner), Clinton, Isaac, Sally (Mrs. James Y. Siggins), Lavina (Mrs. Clark Bean), David, Nelson G., Julia (Mrs. William Richardson) and William. Nelson G. Ball was reared in Forest county, and conducted a grist-mill at East Hickory for twenty-three years; he then engaged in farming, and resided in Hickory township until 1885, when he removed to Columbus township, Warren county, and there remained until the spring of 1886, when he removed to Allegheny township, Venango Co., Penn., where be now resides. His wife, nee Martha Hunter, daughter of William and Sally (Range) Hunter, is a granddaughter of Poland Hunter, a pioneer of Forest county. Mr. and Mrs. Ball have had seven children: J. Wesley, Homer, Austin (deceased), Sally (Mrs. J. Gorman), Jennie (Mrs. Jacob Zahniser), William and Rilla. Mr. Ball is a member of the Free Methodist Church. Politically he is an advocate of prohibition.
Source: Page(s) 942-943, Chapter 15 Biographical Sketches - Tionesta Township and Borough of Tionesta
Hickory and Harmony Townships
History of Counties of McKean, Elk and Forest, Pennsylvania.
Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1890.
Transcribed December 2005 by Nathan Zipfel for the Forest County Genealogy Project
Published 2005 by the Forest County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project
Return to Forest County Home Page
(c) Forest County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project