L. (Leonard) AGNEW, proprietor of the Ludlow House, Warren, Penn., was born in Paint township, Clarion Co., Penn., June 12, 1843, and is a son or John and Ellen (Bailey) Agnew. He was reared in Jefferson county, Penn., and received a common-school education, in early life assisting his father in farming and lumbering. He participated in the Civil war, enlisting from Barnett township, Jefferson Co., Penn., and was assigned to Company B, One Hundred and Thirty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers; was in the battle of Chancellorsville, and was honorably discharged after nine months service. After his return home, in 1863, he engaged in business as a lumberman and contractor in Barnett township, Jefferson Co., Penn., until 1867. He then moved to Tionesta, Forest county, where he followed the business of a contractor until 1873, when he embarked in the hotel business, in which he was engaged until 1884, in which year he was elected sheriff of Forest county for a term of three years. On the expiration of his term, he again engaged in the hotel business in Tionesta until April 1, 1889, and April 10, following, became proprietor of the Ludlow House, at Warren, where he is now located. Mr. Agnew has been twice married, his first wife being Sarah M., daughter of Oran Butterfield, of Barnett township, Jefferson Co., Penn., and by her he had three children: Jeanette, Mary L. and Oran C. (all deceased). Mr. Agnew's present wife, nee Sarah J., daughter of ·William Carson, of Indiana, Penn., has borne him four children: John L. (deceased), Willie C., Gertrude and Alice. Mr. Agnew is a member of the I. O. O. F., A. O. U. W., and G. A. R.; in politics he is a Republican.
Source: Page(s) 922-923, Chapter 15 Biographical Sketches - Tionesta Township and Borough of Tionesta
Hickory and Harmony Townships
History of Counties of McKean, Elk and Forest, Pennsylvania.
Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1890.
Transcribed November 2005 by Nathan Zipfel for the Forest County Genealogy Project
Published 2005 by the Forest County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project
Return to Forest County Home Page
(c) Forest County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project