Villages and Towns
First post office in 1829
Borough of Ridgway - This is the county seat and it received it's name from founder Jacob Ridgway. Founded in 1824, many changes has taken place for this area. Jacob Ridgway, a Quaker fro Philadelphia, purchased this land, 100,000 to 120,000 acres in 1817. Although it was founded in 1824, Ridgway was not incorportated a borough until September 23, 1880.
Return to the Elk County Home Page
(c) Elk County Genealogy Project