Named after the creek which flows into the Clarion River, Millstone Township's economic history is based upon the lumber industry. John Wyncoop is considered to be the first settler in the area. The Township became part of Elk County on Mar 9, 1870. It has been unofficially designated as "the rafting center of Elk County." The largest stream in the township, Millstone Creek, produced for shipment on the Clarion River to Pittsburgh, the most square timber, sawed lumber, mine props, coal shingle sand coal bottoms of any stream in the township. Nearly two-thirds of Millstone Township is now owned by the Allegheny National Forest. It is mostly a recreational area known for its excellent hunting, fishing and outdoor facilities.
Towns and Villages
Return to the Elk County Home Page
(c) Elk County Genealogy Project