Elk County, PA
Posted Queries for March thru May 1999
- HESS, HULLER, OVEL, OVELL, STEPHENS posted by Kathryn Bennett on Thursday, March 4, 1999
- I am looking for any info on Elam Huller (b. 1836) who married Adaline OVEL (OVELL) b.1844..
- WELLS posted by Brenda Wells on Friday, March 5, 1999
- Seeking information on Jeremiah B. Wells of Wilcox, PA. (buried in Wilcox cememtery). He was employed at the tannery in Wilcox. Would also like information on the history of the tannery..
- ORMSBY, ROBISON posted by Jan Robison on Wednesday, March 10, 1999
- Henry B. ROBISON, b. 1844 (locale unknown), d. 1916. Married Lucinda G. Ormsby, b. 1843, d.1915. Four children: Orson W., b 1868, Ency, b. 1881, d.1915, Sarah and Emma. Henry, Lucinda, Orson and Ency are buried at Maplewood Cemetery, Alfred, NY (Allegany County). Could Henry have come from Elk Co. or surrounding area?? Have been looking for info on Henry for over 30 years. Please help!
- MILLER, RETTGER, WILHELM posted by Ginny Binek on Sunday, March 28, 1999
- Researching my ancestors from the St. Mary's/Elk Co., PA area. My g-grandfather was Jacob B. Miller b. Sept.24, 1850; d. Sept. 8, 1907. Married Catherine Rettger b. May 21, 1852; d. Jan. 17, 1904. Children: Richard, Charles, Helen, Joseph, Francis, Elizabeth, Vincent, Irene, Christina, Romaine, Clare, Eva Miller. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
- BALL, BAYER, BEAL, BERRY, BRICEN, BUTSCH, CARR, CHIESA, DAVIES, FOWLER, FRANK, FRISCHOLTZ, GOETZ, HANES, HASER, KOZUB, LADOUCEUR, LEIGH, MEYER, NESBITT, SCHAUT, SCHUYLER, STEEL, WILSON, ZWACK posted by Edward Berry on Friday, April 2, 1999
- I have almost completed a list of all the descendents of Mathias Meyer and Anna Frischoltz. I am short information on Mary Ivo Haser and Robert Haser and their offspring.
- MILLER, RETTGER, WILHELM posted by Ginny Binek on Wednesday, April 14, 1999
- My g-grandparents were from St. Mary's, Elk Co., PA & lived there in the late 1800's. Jacob B. Miller (1850-1907) was married to Catherine Rettger (1852-1904) and had 12 children. Catherine was the daughter of George Rettger (1818-1886) & Eva Wilhelm (1825-1903). These are the earliest links I've uncovered. Any connections?
- CLAFFEY, EARLEY, HEWITT, HORNING, KRESGE, LANICH, LUCORE, MAHAN, MAHON, MCCULLOUGH, MILLER, WOODWARD posted by Teresa Earley on Wednesday, April 14, 1999
- I'm looking for information on the surnames listed above. All were married either to the Earley's or Horning's. I'm trying to piece information together, especially in the late 1800's. I've already received quite a bit of helpful information on the earlier part of the century, but am running into stumbling blocks concerning the latter part of the century into the early 1900's. Any information that someone may have concerning these above mentioned families would truly be appreciated.
- DENISON, DENNISON, HOLLINGSWORTH posted by Dee Zito on Friday, April 23, 1999
- I'm searching for the parents and siblings of both Hiram HOLLINGSWORTH and his wife, Jane DENISON HOLLINGSWORTH. Hiram b. Sep 1838 PA, d. May 24, 1905 Benezette, Elk Co. Jane b. 1845 NY, d. aft 1919. These are their children:
Almina Elvina Hollingsworth b. abt 1865
Annie M. Hollingsworth b. Feb 4, 1866, d. Dec 29, 1889, burial Gakle (Kesting) Cemetery, Keating, Clinton Co. PA
Franklin Vine Hollingsworth b. Dec 12, 1868 Clinton Co., PA, d. May 24, 1919 m. Orpha MURRAY b. Apr 1869, d. Apr 1945(Orpha buried Mt Pleasant Cemetery, Benezette, Elk Co.)
Harry A. Hollingsworth b. 1873 d. Jul 14, 1900, burial Gakle (Kesting) Cemetery, Keating, Clinton Co., PA
Della Hollingsworth b. aft 1873 m. ___ WINSLOW
Willing to share whatever I have--I do have a quite a bit of information on Franklin and Orpha Murray Hollingsworth. I'd really appreciate any information. Thanks for your time,
- CLARK, ROGERS posted by Kari Mohn on Monday, May 3, 1999
- I am looking for the parents of Uriah, Mary, Jonah and Joseph ROGERS. Other possible siblings: Hannah and Thamer.
Known information: Uriah b 1790 NJ m Hannah ROGERS d 1878 Kersey, Fox Twp. Elk Co, PA Mary moved near Galena IL before the Civil War Jonah b ca 1803 m Catherine Joseph b 1807 m Hannah CLARK d.1890 Ogle Co., IL.
The father of this family, who was possibly named Jonathan or Joze, married a second time between 1810 and 1816 probably in Luzerne Co., PA. He had a son by this second marriage who is buried near Little Toby, Fox Twp., Elk Co., PA.
Uriah ROGERS (57) and wife Hannah (52) with children: Uriah W.(22), Kennison (20), Caroline (19), Rebecca (17), Jane B (14), Floretta (9); Jonah ROGERS (49)and wife Catherine (49) with children Catherine (23), Josze (M) (21), James W. (18); Joseph (42) and wife Hannah (42)with children: Rozanna (16), Permilla A. (10), Lovina A. (8), Priscilla A. (5) Gilbert P. (4) are listed one family after the other in the 1850 Census of Fox Township, Elk County, PA.
I am descended from Gilbert P. ROGERS, age 4, and would like to exchange information about this family.
- PHILIPS, PHILLIPS posted by Herb Phillips on Thursday, May 6, 1999
- Elk County, Pennsylvania. I am looking for any information on a Ray/Roy PHILIPS/PHILLIPS. Birth: Williamsport, Pennsylvania is a possibility. The following is what I have been able to ascertain from hearsay and remembering bits and pieces of conversation over the years. This is a 75-year mystery. Also the story and leads could have been a deception to keep us from ever finding him. As the story goes he and my grandmother Eva (also known as Evo) JENKINS met in Louisville, Kentucky @ 1924 when he was 23. He was working in the carnival or circus in the middle 1920s as a showman or outrigger. His job could have taken him as far as Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. My grandmother was attracted to the circus life. From my personal knowledge and photographs of her in her late teens; and when my brother and I used to visit and live with her during the summer, she was always putting on skits, building trapezes for us to swing on and even taught us to walk on stilts. They w! ere supposed to have gotten married in Apr 1924 somewhere in Oldham Co., KY. Oldham country is a deduction because Eva said they went up the river for about a 1 1/2 hour drive to get married. However, a check of all counties along the Ohio river have proven unsuccessful. One year later 15 Mar 1925 my father, Francis (Frank) Murray PHILLIPS was born. The name Ray PHILIPS was put on the birth certificate. He had black hair and blue-gray eyes. It is alleged he left Louisville, KY in Apr 1925 and died in a construction accident somewhere in southwestern Pennsylvania. Eva was born 6 Jan 1905 in Scottsville, Allen Co., KY. She died in Louisville, Jefferson Co., KY 14 Feb 1979. She went to her grave with any information concerning Francis?s father. It was alleged that his (Ray/Roy) mother offered Eva and her son (Francis) refuge and send her a bus ticket to live with her somewhere in southwestern Pennsylvania, but because it was one-way, she refused the tickets. Whenever, the subject! was brought up, she quickly changed the subject. It is a real possibility that he was born out of wedlock and the social pressures of the day prevented her talking about it. If anyone has heard of a Ray/Roy PHILIPS/PHILLIPS working in the carnival or circus around the middle 1920s, I would appreciate hearing from you. Sorry this took so long to explain, but I have been hitting the wall on this part of the family for over 25 years. Thanking you in advance. Herb Phillips.
- BENNETT, BILODEAU, BISH, GARDNER posted by Rich Strum on Friday, May 7, 1999
- My grandmother was Frances Bilodeau. She was born 8 January 1914 in Elk County, the daughter of Frederick Arthur Bilodeau and Millie Matilda Bish. Frederick was born 24 April 1891 at Gardner Hill, Elk County, PA. Millie was the daughter of Edward Bish and Susan Bennett. Edward's father was Michael Bish and his mother Elizabeth Knisley.Susan Bennett's father was James Bennett and mother was Matilda Nulf. Frederick Arthur Bilodeau's parents were John Bilodeau and Christene (or Christena) Gardner, daughter of Rudolphus Gardner and Sarah Bateman. John Bilodeau's parents were Jean (John) Bilodeau, born in Chicoutimi, Quebec, and Marie Fortin. I am looking for any additional information about any of these ancestors (birth dates, etc.) Thank you!.
- DOSSI, MARSTIN posted by Dave Taylor on Friday, May 7, 1999
- Lookingfor help with my research on my wife's family. Here are the facts: Sylvanus Dossi b4Mar1897 in Dagus Mines, married 1March1919 in Colver Mary Elizabeth Martsin(sp?) b21June1899 in Brookport. His parents were: Sperandio Dossi b13Dec1859 in Caprona, Italy d13Feb1909 in Heilwood, PA married (no date)Theresa Arduini b18Mar1869 in Caprona, Italy d15Mar1940 in PA
Her parents were: John Martsin(sp?) and Elizabeth Bellish both from Austria.
Any information or leads would really help. We know that Sylvanus and/or Sperandio worked at the mine at Dagus and lived in company owned homes. I would like to find information on their children, too, but haven't found a source yet. Please let me know if anyone knows anything or can point me in the right direction..
- COOK, COUCKE, HEINDL, HERBSTRITT, LION, LOEFFLER, NISSEL, PATTERSON posted by Ted Cook on Saturday, May 8, 1999
- I would like to correspond with any researching these families.
- BAYLOR, CLAFFEY posted by Teresa Earley on Monday, May 10, 1999
- Looking for any information concerning the family of Thomas H. Claffey who married Alice Baylor. Alice died when her only daughter Laura Mildred Claffey was 12, which would have been in the early 1900's. Alice is buried in Pine Grove Cemetary in Ridgway, PA. Thanks for the help!
- PAIGE posted by Dottie Unruh on Monday, May 10, 1999
- Seeking information on death and burial of Angeline Dingy Paige,wife of George H. Paige; died on 5 June 1879. First known to be in Elk County in 1873.
- DERING, DUTTRY, KELLER, KREIGER posted by Judy Keller on Wednesday, May 12, 1999
- I am seeking information on Jonathan N. Keller.
- BEEUWSAERT, BOGAERT, DERUYCK, VERBEKE posted by Eric Beeuwsaert on Tuesday, May 18, 1999
- I am looking for any information concerning Beeuwsaert Jules, who emigrated from Belgium, Flanders, to the region of Medix-Run on Dec. 1906- jan. 1907, together with Deruyck. They were going to their relatives Verbeke and Bogaert at Medix-Run. I'm very grateful for any information about this names. Thank you very much.
- BARR posted by Ray Barr on Thursday, May 20, 1999
- searching for family 0f ; William Godfrey Barr born at Dents Run, Elk co. PA 26 sept 1863 married Birdie Martha Viola MIKESELL, 27 aug 1895 at Elk Point, South Dakota Died West Monroe, La 1 apr 1934
- SWEENEY posted by Bob Sweeney on Tuesday, May 25, 1999
- Patrick Sweeney, a sawyer, lived in Benzinger Township in the approximate period of 1870-1900+. He was born in about 1846 in Cherry, Sullivan County, PA and moved to the Elk County area some time after 1860. he married a woman named Waleberga (Sweeney) and they had several children of whom we know that Michale, Ellen and Patrick were named. He was known to be alive in the area about 1900 because he is referenced in the county history of Sullivan county as a son of Michael and Catherine Sweeney of Cherry, PA. Any information whatsoever would be enormously appreciated.
- STARK posted by Jeanie Wiesler on Tuesday, May 25, 1999
- I'm trying to find information about: Wesley W. STARK, b. 1847 Driftwood, PA Any information would be greatly appreciated..
- SCHULLER, SHULER posted by Chris Shuler on Sunday, May 30, 1999
- Researching John & Catherine (Best) Schuller. Name changed from Schuller to Shuler during WWI. Died/buried in Wilcox, PA. before WWII. Imigrated from Saxony region of Germany. Descendants in Central New York, PA & GA. They are my Great - Great Paternal Grandparents..
Return to the Archived Query/Surname Index Page
Return to the Query/Surname Index Page
Return to the Elk County Home Page
(c) Elk County Genealogy Project