Biographical Sketches - Benzinger Township and Borough of St. Mary's
C.L. BAYER, manufacturer and dealer in furniture, St. Mary's, was born in Baden, Germany, September 6, 1836, and is a son of Andrew and Catharine (Pfeifer) Bayer, who came to America in 1848 and settled in Benzinger township, Elk Co., Penn. Andrew Bayer was a wagon-maker by trade, and for a number of years carried on a shop in St. Mary's. He was the father of three children: C.L., Theresa (Mrs. Joseph Arnold) and Andrew. Of these, C.L., whose name heads this sketch, was reared in Elk county from twelve years of age, and served an apprenticeship of five years at the cabinet-maker's trade in Philadelphia; after which he worked as a journeyman until the breaking out of the Civil war, when, being in the South, he was pressed into the Confederate service at Jefferson, Tex. After serving about nine months, he left at Little Rock, Ark., and went to the Union army at Fayetteville, Ark. A few months after, he took employment at his trade in the cabinet department of the navy yards at Cairo and Mound City, Ill., where he served till the end of the war. In 1866 he commenced a sash and door shop in St. Mary's, but after a few years changed to manufacturing and dealing in furniture, and has built up a large and lucrative business. In 1867 Mr. Bayer married Barbara, daughter of George and Clara (Prongratz) Gregory, of St. Mary's, and by her has seven children living: John S., Minnie, Lizzie, Andrew, Lena, Willie and Fred. Mr. Bayer and family are members of the Catholic Church. In politics he votes the Democratic ticket, and has served the borough as school director several terms. Father B. Bayer, one of the first priests in St. Mary's and first doctor, was an uncle of C.L. Bayer.
GEORGE W. BOYER, proprietor of the Franklin House, St. Mary's, was born in Shannondale, Clarion Co., Penn., October 1, 1846, and is a son of George and Elizabeth (Bartley) Boyer, both natives of Pennsylvania. He was reared in his native county, receiving his early education in the common schools, and January 28, 1862, when but fifteen years of age, enlisted in Company C, Sixty-second Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. He was wounded in the foot at the battle of Gaines' Mills, Va., June 27, 1862, being also taken prisoner, and after spending three months in Libby prison he was released on parole and sent to Fortress Monroe. Three months later he was exchanged and placed on hospital duty in the Chesapeake General Hospital as wound-dresser and steward. He was here discharged from the service June 30, 1865, after serving nearly three and a half years. After the war Mr. Boyer attended Dayton Academy, Armstrong county, Penn., and also the select and public schools of Clarion county, same State. While attending the latter in 1867, he was, chosen by the directors to take charge of a public school at Shannondale, to fill the unexpired term of a teacher who had failed. This he did successfully, and to the satisfaction of the directors and patrons of the school. He followed teaching for several years, as well as other occupations, and in 1877 removed to Elk county, where he taught school several terms; was clerk for D. Eldridge at Eureka Mines one year; was in the employ of Koch & Sons, Kersey, Elk county, as book-keeper one year, and for three years was deputy treasurer of Elk county under John Collins, treasurer. In March, 1887, Mr. Boyer purchased the Franklin House at St. Mary's, which he has since successfully conducted. He married, November 25, 1868, Mary S., daughter of Dr. H. and Caroline (Gruber) Straessley, of Millville, Clarion Co., Penn., and they have two children living: Charles W. and Caroline E., and two children dead. Mr. Boyer is a member of the Catholic Church and of the G.A.R. Politically he is a Democrat, and has held the office of township treasurer and clerk.
MICHAEL BRUNNER, merchant, St. Mary's, was born in Bavaria, Germany, November 20, 1830, and is a son of George and Catherine (Hoffbauer) Brunner, who settled, in St. Mary's in 1844, where they resided until their death. They were the parents of four children: Magdalena (Mrs. Nicholas Heinffling), Margaret (Mrs. Balzer Wenzel), Barbara (Mrs. Sebastian Hahn) and Michael. The subject of these lines was reared in St. Mary's from fourteen years of age, and here learned the cabinet-maker's trade, which he followed as an occupation four years. He then taught school for several years, and in 1862 embarked in the mercantile business, in which he has since successfully continued. His wife, whom he married August 16, 1858, was Carolina, daughter of George and Juliana (Weisenberger) Weis, of St. Mary's, and to this union were born nine children, as follows: Susan (Mrs. John Fochtman), Adeline (Mrs. Nicholas Tierney), Josephine, Julia, Mary, George, Annie, Albert and Clara. Mr. Brunner is a Democrat, politically, and has held the offices of school director and councilman of St. Mary's and also that of county treasurer one term. He and his family are members of the German Catholic Church.
MARTIN DIPPOLD, mine boss, in the coal mines of Kaul & Hall, St. Mary's, was born in Germany, April 14, 1841, and is a son of Frederick and Margaret Dippold, who came to this country and to St. Mary's in 1855. The father, who was a farmer by occupation, cleared and improved a farm in Benzinger township, Elk county, where he died. They had four children: John (who was killed in the Civil war), Martin, Barbara (Mrs. Louis Vollmer) and Andrew. Of these, Martin was fourteen years of age when he came with his parents to St. Mary's. He has worked in the coal mines twenty years, and has held his present position eighteen years. Mr. Dippold married Mary, daughter of Anthony and Lizzie Eves, of St. Mary's, and has by her thirteen children: Maggie, Frank, Kate, Lizzie, John, Barbara, Mary, Anna, Anthony and Bertie (twins), Carrie, Ida and Alfred. Mr. Dippold is a Democrat in politics; has served one year as constable, and is a member of the Catholic Church.
FRANK A. ERICH, farmer and lumberman, P.O. St. Mary's, was born in St. Mary's, Elk Co., Penn., June 15, 1848, and is a son of Joseph and Elizabeth Erich, natives of Germany, who settled in Benzinger township, Elk county, in 1846, where they cleared and improved a farm, on which they lived and died. Joseph Erich was twice married, and by his first wife he had two children: Joseph and Mary A. (Mrs. Jacob Mallison); by his second wife, Elizabeth, he had six children: Elizabeth (Mrs. Jacob Wafford), Frank A., F. Xavier, George, Mary (Mrs. Peter Bauer) and Katie (deceased). Of these, Frank A. was reared in Benzinger township, where he has followed farming and lumbering as his principal occupation, and for one and a half years he was proprietor of a green-grocer's store in St. Mary's. In 1869 Mr. Erich married Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph and Mary (Bock) Jacobs, of St. Mary's, and by her has ten children: Mary, Rosa, Bertha, Joseph, Edward, Tracy, Caroline, George, Josephine and Michael. Mr. Erich is a member of the Catholic Church; in politics a Democrat.
FRANK FISHER, proprietor of the Keystone House, St. Mary's, was born in that borough, June 24, 1853, and is a son of Charles and Mary (Hartzop) Fisher, natives of Baden, Germany, who were among the pioneers of St. Mary's. His father was a rope-maker by trade, but engaged in mercantile business in St. Mary's, at which he continued until his death. He had eight children: John, Philip, Mary (Mrs. Leonard Wittmann), William, Barbara (Mrs. William Schwab), Frank, Charles and Lizzie (Mrs. Charles Rorick). The subject of this sketch was reared in St. Mary's, being educated in the public schools, and served an apprenticeship of three years at the blacksmith's trade, at which he worked as a journeyman twelve years. He carried on a shop of his own in Kane, McKean county, Penn., two and one half years, and in 1881 he embarked in the hotel business in St. Mary's, keeping the Luhr House three and one-half years. Afterward he filled the position of bartender at the City Hotel one and one-half years, and then entered into possession of the Keystone House, of which he has been the genial host for one and one-half years. In 1876 Mr. Fisher married Anna, daughter of Joseph and Mary (Schwab) Murray, of Centre county, Penn., and by her has one daughter, Mary. Mr. Fisher is a member of the Catholic Church, in politics a Democrat.
JOSEPH C. FRANK, merchant, St. Mary's, was born in Benzinger township, Elk Co., Penn., April 14, 1856, and is a son of George and Maggie (Schauer) Frank, natives of Germany, who settled in Benzinger township in 1848, where they cleared and improved a farm on which they still reside. Their children are John, Theresa (Mrs. George Weigel), Joseph C., Francis, George, Charles and Anthony. The subject of this sketch was reared in his native township, receiving a common-school education, then for six years was a clerk in the store of Spafford & Finney, St. Mary's. In 1881 he embarked in the general mercantile business in partnership with Charles Luhr, under the firm name of J.C. Frank & Co., and they have built up a large and prosperous trade. In May, 1880, Mr. Frank married Rosa, daughter of Charles and Elizabeth (Beleke) Luhr, of St. Mary's, and they have one daughter, Maggie. Mr. Frank is a member of the Catholic Church, of St. John's and St. Patrick's beneficiary societies, and of the Knights of Labor. In politics he is a Democrat, and has been auditor of St. Mary's.
IGNATIUS GARNER, St. Mary's, was born in Alsace-Lorraine, France, May 14, 1816, and is a son of George Garner and Magdalena (Bueser) Garner. George Garner settled in St. Mary's in 1845, and died there. They reared a family of four children: Ignatius, Magdalena (Mrs. Jacob Schaut), Anna and Barbara (Mrs. John Lejeal). The subject of this biographical sketch came to America in 1832, and to St. Mary's in 1845, where he has since resided. For a number of years he was agent and general director here for the German colony. Early in 1845 he proceeded to Europe and returned in July of the same year with a number of substantial settlers. He was the first postmaster of St. Mary's, which position he held ten years; was again appointed in 1887, and was retired July 1, 1889. A prominent and talented musician, he was for twenty-five years organist of St. Mary's German Catholic Church, and thirty-three years ago built the organ still used in that church. In 1844 Mr. Garner married Julia, daughter of Christopher and Johanna (Baumgardner) Weis, of Philadelphia, and they have six children: Louis H., Elizabeth, Charles, George, Bonaventura and Aloysius. Mr. Garner and his wife are members of St. Mary's German Catholic Church. He is a Democrat in politics, and has held the office of county auditor and commissioner several terms; also served as chief burgess, councilman and justice of the peace of St. Mary's.
LOUIS H. GARNER, machinist, St. Mary's, was born in St. Mary's, Elk Co., Penn., October 7, 1845, and is a son of Ignatius and Julia W. (Weis) Garner. He was reared in his native town, and educated at St. Vincent's College, Latrobe, Penn., afterward serving an apprenticeship of three years at the machinist's trade in Ashland, Schuylkill Co., Penn. On July 2, 1863, he enlisted in Company C, Fifty-third Pennsylvania Infantry, and participated in the battle of Harrison's Landing, Va.; also assisted in burying the dead at Gettysburg. After nine months service, he was honorably discharged, and then resumed his trade at Ashland. Later he was employed in the Franklin Iron Works at Reading, Penn.; thence removed to Renovo, same State, and was the first machinist employed in the railroad shops at that place. Afterward he worked at his trade in the oil regions of Pennsylvania, and in 1866 he moved to Leavenworth, Kans., where he was employed on the Eastern Division of the Northern Pacific Railroad, from March until November of that year. He then returned to St. Mary's and here opened up for himself in the old Gen. Mc Gill foundry, which he rented in April, 1868, put in running order, and melted the first iron in the county; this he carried on two years; then erected a new shop on the corner of Mill and St. Mary's streets, which he conducted for five years under the firm name of L.H. Garner & Bro. Selling out his interest in this concern, he then took charge of the Clearfield Coal Company's works at Tyler, Penn., as engineer, for two years, at which time he again returned to St. Mary's, where he was engaged as clerk with Hall, Kaul & Co., nine months, and then took charge of the foundry and machine shops of J. & A. Kaul for two years, when he assumed the duties of assistant postmaster at St. Mary's for two and a half years, when he resumed his trade. In 1871 Mr. Garner married Mary E., daughter of Capt. Charles H. and Elizabeth (Brindle) Volk, of St. Mary's, and they have six children living: George, Carrie, Lawrence, Irene, John and Louis. Mr. Garner is a member of the Catholic Church and of the G.A.R., being at present commander of M.W. Lucore Post, No. 216, of St. Mary's. In politics he is a Democrat.
CHARLES B. GARNER, molder, St. Mary's, was born in that borough, September 12, 1849, and is a son of Ignatius and Julia (Weis) Garner. He was reared in his native town, and received his education in the school of St. Mary's and at St. Vincent's College, Latrobe, Penn.; afterward he learned the molder's trade in the shop of his brother, L.H. Garner, which occupation he has followed since 1868. In 1875 he married Mary Josephine, daughter of Wendel and Mary J. (Herbstritt) Lion, of St. Mary's, and they have five children: Charles C., Lizzie, Julia, Mary and Clara. Mr. Garner is a member of the German Catholic Church, and in politics is a Democrat.
ANDREW GEECK, barber, St. Mary's, was born on the Rhine, in Bavaria, November 23, 1852, and is a son of Francis C. and Francesca (Kuntz) Geeck. He was reared and educated in his native land, and, coming to America in 1871, settled, in February, 1872, in St. Mary's, where he worked as a journeyman barber up to November 10, same year, at which date he opened a shop of his own, and has since succeeded in building up a successful business. Mr. Geeck married, June 8, 1873, Elizabeth, daughter of Wendel and. Mary J. (Herbstritt) Lion, of St. Mary's, and by her has six children: M. Josephine, M. Magdalene, Francis C., Rose, Eugene and Aloys. Mr. Geeck is a member of the Catholic Church and of St. John's Benevolent Society, in which he is treasurer and secretary of the widow fund. In politics he is a Democrat, and has served as a member of the school board from 1882 to 1888; also secretary of the board four years.
MATHIAS GERG, general blacksmith, St. Mary's, was born in that borough May 16, 1857, a son of Michael and Annie (Hoover) Gerg, natives of Germany, who were among the early settler of St. Mary's, the father being a wagon-maker by trade, which he has followed all his life. They reared a family of nine children: Tony, Frank, Anna (Mrs. John Schauer), Barbara (Mrs. Louis Gies), Rosa (Mrs. F.X. Erich), Mathias, Tillie (Mrs. John Hoffman), Charles and Katie (Mrs. George Bauer). Of these, Mathias was reared and educated in St. Mary's, and learned the blacksmith's trade in his brother's shop, and since 1883 has been in business for himself, having proved a first-class workman. Mr. Gerg has been married twice: first, to Josephine, daughter of Joseph and Kate Seel, of St. Mary's, by whom he had three children: Frank, Joseph and Willie; and afterward he married Anna, daughter of Joseph Deitch, also of St. Mary's, by whom he has two children: Katie and Lizzie. He is a member of the Catholic Church and St. John's Society; of the K. of L. and the borough council. In politics he is a Democrat.
JAMES KNOX POLK HALL was born in Milesburg, Centre Co., Penn., on the 30th of September, 1844, during the memorable presidential campaign of that year. His father, an ardent Democrat, bestowed upon him the full name of the great Tennesseean who was at that time the candidate and the ideal of his party. He is descended on both sides from Revolutionary stock, his ancestors having served with credit and distinction in the great struggle for the establishment of American liberty. His parents were Benjamin McDowell Hall, who died in 1873, and Susannah Geary Hall, who is still living at an advanced age. They had seven children, of whom the late Senator John G. Hall and Dr. Wm. E. Hall, both recently deceased, were the eldest; the subject of this sketch came next, and then followed Mrs. B.E. Wellendorf, Miss Mary Hall, B. Frank Hall and Harry Alvan Hall, all of whom are living and residents of Elk county, Penn. His youth was passed, when out of school, in farming and lumbering in the then wilds of Clearfield county, Penn., whither the family had removed when he was about ten years of age.
Mr. Hall received a business education, and studied law with his brother, the late Senator, at Ridgway, where he was admitted to the bar as soon as he attained his majority. He was shortly after elected district attorney of Elk county, which office he filled with satisfaction to the people and credit to himself for three consecutive terms. As his abilities are of a high order and his attainments exceptional, he was most successful in his practice, but as opportunities presented themselves, his keen perception pointed out to him the wisdom of investment in coal and lumber enterprises, and with ready executive tact he pushed the development of numerous and extensive operations into successful action. The enterprises in which he was engaged soon became so numerous, and his business interests reached such magnitude as to claim his entire time and attention, and in 1883 he was compelled to retire from the active practice of his profession. He has since devoted himself exclusively to the management of his business affairs. He is president of the St. Mary's Bank; a member of the firm of Kaul & Hall, proprietors of the Cascade and Hazel Dell bituminous coal mines, near St. Mary's, Penn.; a partner in the St. Mary's Tanning Company, who own and operate a large tannery at St. Mary's; secretary and treasurer of the Penn Lumber Company, with offices at St. Mary's, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, which, with two or three other large companies, market the bulk of the Pennsylvania hemlock; president of the New York, Lake Erie & Western Coal & Railroad Company, with whose road are connected some of the largest bituminous coal mines in the State, in the operation of which thousands of men are given employment; secretary and treasurer of the Clarion River Railway Company, who are now building a railroad from Laurel Run to Hallton for the purpose of developing a large section of timber land; and a member of the Portland Lumber Company, who, in company with the Kistlers, are now building an extensive tannery at Carman. He is also a member of the Beechwood Lumber Company, and these companies and the various other lumber concerns in which he is interested with his partner, Mr. Kaul, are the owners of over sixty thousand acres of timber lands in Elk, Jefferson and Cameron counties; he is also engaged in numerous merchandising and other business operations in connection with his lumber and coal interests; he is president of the St. Mary's Water Company, president of the Elk County Agricultural Society, and a large stockholder in the St. Mary's Gas Company.
His charities have ever kept step with his wonderful successes in business affairs, and his heart and hand have always been open to the appeals of his fellow men, and none such have fallen unheeded upon his ear. Though so heavily weighted with business cares, Mr. Hall finds much time for both political and social affairs. He is an unswerving Democrat in his faith, and is prominent in the councils of his party. He has been twice nominated for Congress in his district, having withdrawn the first time in favor of Ex-Gov. Curtin, and having been once defeated by the narrow margin of. 142 votes.
Jimanandy Park (named for himself and his partner by grateful friends who had enjoyed its hospitalities), which was erected by Messrs. Hall & Kaul solely for the entertainment of their friends, is one of the most unique institutions of the country. It is situated on a 3,000 acre tract of timber land, in the mountains, seven miles east of St. Mary's. Seven hundred acres of this virgin forest is set aside for a hunting park, and through this roam hundreds of deer. A mountain stream, upon which numerous dams are erected, gives the expert fly-caster ample opportunity to display his skill upon the brook trout, with which the stream is yearly stocked from the hatcheries connected with the park. Just outside the entrance to the deer park is a spacious cottage, in which are billiard-rooms, reading-rooms, sleeping apartments and dining accommodations, which, with the stables attached, offer every comfort to sportsman and beast.
In September, 1875, Mr. Hall was married to Miss Kate Hyde, the youngest daughter of J.S. Hyde, the late millionaire lumberman. They have four children living: Sallie, William, Genevieve and Lisle. He has recently removed from St. Mary's; where he had lived since 1866, to Ridgway, and is now building a superb residence at the latter place.
HARRY ALVAN HALL, attorney at law, St. Mary's, was born at Karthaus, Clearfield Co., Penn., October 7, 1861, and came to St. Mary's with his parents in 1867. After spending some time under the tutelage of Rev. Edward Hipelius, a distinguished scholar of the Benedictine order, then stationed at St. Mary's, he attended, for a short time, the University at Lewisburg and Dickinson Seminary at Williamsport, and finally received his diploma from Yale College, in 1881. The same year he was admitted to the bar in the supreme court of Connecticut. He engaged in business in New York, and during the next two years spent much of his time in traveling in Mexico and on the Pacific coast. In 1883 he succeeded to the law practice of his brother, J.K.P. Hall, Esq., of St. Mary's, and rapidly worked his way to the front rank in his profession. He was married in 1886, at Louisville, Ky., to Miss Currin McNairy, a daughter of the late Col. Currin McNairy of Nashville, Tenn. Mr. Hall is a fine linguist and a polished orator. He is of wide treading and broad culture, and is a frequent contributor to the current magazines and reviews. He is political editor of the Elk County Gazette, and was, in 1885, elected chief burgess of St. Mary's, which office he has held for five successive terms. His administration has been marked by the introduction of gas and water into the borough, of both of which improvements he has been an active promoter. He is prominent in political circles in the State, and in 1884 was secretary of the Democratic State Convention at Allentown, and a delegate to the National Democratic Convention at Chicago.
JOSEPH A. HANHAUSER, merchant, St. Mary's, was born in Philadelphia, Penn., in April, 1846, and is a son of Anthony and Mary (Vollmer) Hanhauser, natives of Germany, who came to St. Mary's in the fall of 1847. Here the father engaged in the hotel business, and erected the Franklin House, which he conducted several years. In the meantime he had purchased several tracts of land in the township, and on retiring from the hotel business, he located on a farm one and a half miles east of the borough. This he cleared and improved, and resided upon for about ten years, when he returned to St. Mary's, and erected a store and dwelling north of the Franklin House. He died in 1867, at the age of seventy-four years, the father of three children: Joseph A., Louis F. and Mary E. (Mrs. J.M. Mecum). The subject of these lines was reared and educated in St. Mary's, and began life as a clerk in a general store. In 1878 he became a member of the firm of Hall, Kaul & Co., general merchants, with whom he has since been associated, being general manager of the store. In February, 1871, Mr. Hanhauser married Mary, daughter of Joseph and Crescence (Ritter) Wilhelm, of St. Mary's, and to this union five children have been born: Louis F., George, Frederick, Crescence and Clara. Mr. Hanhauser and family are members of the Catholic Church. Politically he is a Democrat; has served as a member of the Democratic committee of Elk county, and has held the office of councilman of St. Mary's.
WILLIAM B. HARTMAN, M.D., St. Mary's, was born in Williamsport, Penn., September 14, 1833, and is a son of Henry and Julia (Gehrhart) Hartman. His paternal grandfather, Jacob Hartman, who was a native of Germany, became an early settler of York county, Penn., and was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. Henry Hartman, father of Dr. Hartman, a carpenter by trade, and a native of York county, Penn., was a soldier in the war of 1812, and a pioneer of Williamsport, Penn., where he died at the age of eighty-nine years. The subject of this sketch was reared in Williamsport, educated in the public schools and Dickinson Seminary, of that place, and at Wyoming Seminary, Kingston, Penn., where he graduated in 1852. In 1853 he began the study of medicine with Dr. Samuel Pollock, of Williamsport; entered Pennsylvania Medical College, Philadelphia, in 1854, and was graduated from there in 1856. The Doctor began the practice of his profession in June, same year, at Quincy, Ill., where he remained until 1857, when he located at Linden, Lycoming Co., Penn. Here he was in practice up to the fall of 1861, when he was appointed by Gov. A.G. Curtin assistant-surgeon of the One Hundred and Sixteenth P.V.I., in which capacity he served until July 4, 1862, when he was promoted to the rank of surgeon of the same volunteers, a position he held until the close of the war. In August, 1865, he located in St. Mary's, and was in active practice until 1875, in which year he went to Cattaraugus county, N.Y., where he remained two years. He then returned to St. Mary's, where he now enjoys a large and lucrative business. Dr. Hartman was twice married- first to Helen S., daughter of George R. Crooks, of Carlisle, Penn., and by her he had six children: Julia (Mrs. S.M. Taylor), Russell H., William, Fannie (Mrs. Mark Jones), Emma (deceased) and John. His second wife was Mrs. Naomi E. (Watts) Rogers, a native of England, and. daughter of James Watts, and the issue of this union has been two children: Clifford E.A. and Clarence DeL. Dr. Hartman is a member of the K. of P. and G.A.R., of the Pennsylvania State Medical Society, of the Elk County Medical Society and the American Medical Association. He is the oldest regular graduate of medicine practicing in Elk county. Politically he is a Democrat.
WILLIAM A. HARTRANFT, mill boss, St. Mary's, was born in Delaware township, Northumberland Co., Penn., July 9, 1838, a son of Henry C. and Elizabeth (Bugh) Hartranft. He was reared and educated in his native county, learning the carpenter's trade, and in September, 1861, he enlisted in Company D, Seventh P.C., in which he re-enlisted in 1863. At LaVergne, Tenn., Mr. Hartranft was taken prisoner, and after twenty-nine days' confinement (part of the time in Libby prison), he was paroled. In. June, 1864, being exchanged, he rejoined his regiment at Nashville, Tenn., and in September, 1865, he was honorably discharged at Macon, Ga. After the war, he worked at his trade and other occupations in his native State for a time, and in 1878 located in St. Mary's, where he has since been employed by Hall, Kaul & Co., as foreman of their Summit Mill. In. 1866 Mr. Hartranft married Mary A., daughter of Andrew Nye, of Northumberland county, Penn., and by her has had three children: Burton H., Edith (deceased) and George A. Mr. Hartranft is a member of the G.A.R., and in politics is a Republican.
JOHN B. HEINDL, farmer, P.O. St. Mary's, was born in Bavaria, Germany, June 17, 1841, a son of Michael and Ursula (Beibrunner) Heindi, who settled in St. Mary's in September, 1846. The father, who was a carpenter by trade, which he followed most of his life, cleared a small farm on the present site of St. Mary's. He had five children: Lizzie (Mrs. Martin Sorg), Minnie (Mrs. Ed. Blintzler), Wally (Mrs. William Holland), Julia (Mrs. Joseph Fox) and John B. The subject of our sketch was reared in St. Mary's from five years of age. He followed various occupations up to 1876, when he engaged in farming, in which he has since successfully continued. Mr. Heindl married Mary M., daughter of Wendel and Mary J. (Herbstritt) Lion, of St. Mary's and has eleven children: Josephine (Mrs. John J. Weis), Maggie (Mrs. William Robinson), Michael W., Frank, Joseph E., Lizzie, John, Ann, Fred, Clara and Charlie. Mr. Heindl is a member of the Catholic Church. Politically he is a Democrat, and has held various township offices.
FRANK A. JACOB, of the St. Mary's Herald, St. Mary's, was born in that borough May 12, 1863, and is a son of Joseph and Mary (Bock) Jacob, natives of Bavaria, Germany, who immigrated to this country, and became pioneers of St. Mary's. The father was a hatter by trade, which he followed in the borough a couple of years, since when he has worked at the plasterer's trade. He reared a family of five children: Elizabeth (Mrs. Frank A. Erich) Simon (now deceased), John., Joseph and Frank A. The subject of this biographical memoir was reared and educated in St. Mary's, where he learned the printer's trade, and January 23, 1888, became connected with the St. Mary's Herald (a weekly journal), as one of its proprietors, and is now sole owner. Mr. Jacob married, October 6, 1885, Sophia, daughter of Thomas and Mary (Kerner) Ernst, of Benzinger township, Elk Co., Penn., and by her has two children: Francisca and Leonard. He is a member of the German Catholic Church, and secretary of St. Mary's Silver Cornet Band. In politics he is a Democrat.
JOHN KAUL, SR. (deceased), was born at Elbersberg, Bavaria, June 18, 1814, and received an elementary education in the schools of his native village. He left Bavaria in 1844, with the intention of joining the colonists from his native country at St. Mary's, Penn., and on the 25th of July, same year, arrived at New York City, whence he went to Buffalo, N.Y., via Albany. From Buffalo he came to St. Mary's. He journeyed afoot, arriving at the latter town, September 2, 1844. Purchasing a building lot in the new town, on Michael street, south of Joseph Jacob's residence, he built a log house there. September 4, 1844, his marriage with Kunegunda Brindle was solemnized by one of the Redemptorist Fathers. They resided in the log house for about two years, when he purchased a tract of wild land on the Brussels road. He made the farm his home until the autumn of 1876; when the family moved to Mr. Andrew Kaul's residence, where John Kaul, Sr., died February 26, 1877. His widow, who is still a resident of St. Mary's, was born at Elbersberg, Bavaria, May 8, 1815, and resided there until 1844, when she came with a party of three families to the settlement of St. Mary's. It was understood, however, that on her arrival here, she should become the wife of John Kaul, Sr., in accordance with the betrothal in their native land, and, as related above, she was married to him in the fall of the year they arrived. The children of that marriage were Andrew, of St. Mary's; Joseph, who, born October 27, 1846, died in infancy; Kate, who married Joseph Lanzel in the fall of 1866, was born December 9, 1847; John, now associated in the lumber business with his brother, was born September 13, 1849, and married Sophia Goetz; Kunegunda was born May 15, 1851, and married Charles Kronewetter; Catherine was born March 8, 1853, and married Joseph F. Windfelder; Mary was born February 1, 1855, and married Louis Hanhauser, and Joseph was born April 30, 1858, and married, Miss Barbara Bauer.
ANDREW KAUL was born July 15, 1845, at St. Mary's, and was educated in the common schools of the village. During his school days he assisted in the work of cultivating the homestead farm, and so continued until 1862,when he entered the employ of John Brooks as woodsman. During the following year he worked for Joseph Lanzel and Peter Kleixner, who were getting out square timber on the Sinnemahoning. In 1864 he and Mr. Lanzel took a contract to supply square timber to Col. Noyes and Simon. Cameron, which contract they completed successfully, by delivering their rafts at Manetta, Penn. This partnership was continued, following up the first by a second contract, to cut and peel pine logs for Mr. Bryan of Philadelphia. This necessitated the employment of a number of men, and proved very successful. In 1865 their operations were transferred to West Creek, where they were the pioneers of the woods. Their contract was with Herdick, Lentz & White of Williamsport. The West Creek Manufacturing & Mining Company contracted with them, in 1866, to stock their mills, where Beechwood village now stands. This contract was filled in the spring of 1867, and the partnership with Mr. Lanzel then ended. Mr. Kaul now contracted to stock the above-named mills, employing a force of sixty men, and completed the second contract with the West Creek Company in the spring of 1868, being the most successful, financially, of the contracts up to that date. In 1868 he returned to St.. Mary's, and purchased pine lands east of here, from Sebastian Weis, of York, Penn., and from Benzinger & Eschbach and others. During the summer, he built his first mill on the head of Iron run, being the second in the district. This mill he stocked and operated for about eight years, when the building was torn down and the machinery removed. In 1872 he built the Summit Mills, one and a half miles east of St. Mary's, which are still in existence. In 1873 he bought from John Brooks the Sterling Run Mills, also a large tract of timber, in which purchase George Walker, Joseph Lanzel, Charles Kronewetter and the Konley Brothers were interested, the company taking the title of Kaul, Walker & Co. They operated the mill for five years, when the firm dissolved, Mr. Kaul purchasing the interests of his partners. He continued to operate this mill until 1884, when the great bush fire swept away this industry. The Benezette Mills were bought from the Kronewetter Brothers, in 1875 or 1876; these he sold, in 1884, to Thomas Tosier. The Spring Run Mills were erected in 1880 for Mr. Kaul, but they were destroyed in the great fire of 1884, together with a large quantity of lumber and camp buildings. In 1871 Mr. Kaul and J.K.P. Hall entered into partnership for the purpose of investing in pine lands, and in the same year Mr. Kaul visited Wisconsin, with the object of purchasing pine lands, and did buy a large tract, but sold it several years afterward to Brown, Early & Co. This was the beginning of the partnership which was reaffirmed by the Hall, Kaul & Co. partnership of 1876. In 1880 Mr. Kaul and J.W. Gaskil of Philadelphia entered into partnership and purchased the 7,500 acres on West creek, together with the West Creek Manufacturing & Mining Company's mills at Beechwood. A year later J.K.P. Hall purchased Mr. Gaskil's interest, and this partnership has continued down to the present time. They, with Mr. C.R. Kline, are the present owners of this industry. Mr. Kaul was married November 14, 1865, to Miss Walburga Lanzel, a daughter of Michael and Catherine Lanzel. Mrs. Kaul was born near St. Mary's, April 25, 1847, and received her education here. The children of this marriage, are John L., born October 3, 1866 (he is now secretary and treasurer of the Sample Lumber Company of Alabama); Andrew, born February 2, 1868 (now employed as book-keeper at the St. Mary's Tannery); William, born June 9, 1870 (a student at Georgetown. College, D.C.); Joseph, born March 6, 1872 (also attends this college); Edward, born. February 3, 1874 (attending the St. Mary's schools); Frank, born January 26, 1876; Julia, born March 6, 1878 (a student in St. Mary's convent); Josephine, born March 23, 1880 (also attending the convent schools); Bertha, born June 30, 1882; George, born March 3, 1886, died March 12, 1886; James H., born June 16, 1887. Men speak of a country as one of illimitable possibilities, but in this instance, we learn something of the possibilities of the individual. Mr. Kaul, a native pioneer of Elk county, grew up among her great forests, strong and healthy like them. His youth was passed in the manner of the times forty years ago. In 1862 he sallied forth from the parental roof to hew out a trail to independence. How closely he followed that trail is measured by his repeated successes. Throughout the pages of local history of Elk and Cameron counties, his name appears at short intervals as the supporter of every project which gave promise of serving the people. In this sketch reference is made to the establishment of his early mills; but to obtain a clearer conception of the great industries of which he is the originator or one of the active agents, the pages of local history must be referred to. Of everything constituting the highest citizenship, social and business morality and enterprise, he is the possessor, and in the exercise of those gifts he radiates good all round.
J.C. KOCH, proprietor of a livery stable, St. Mary's, was born in York county, Penn., September 14, 1855, a son of John and Leah (Detter) Koch, natives of that county, the former of whom is a farmer by occupation. Mr. Koch's father was a captain of militia for many years, and was known as "Capt. John Koch." The subject of these lines received an ordinary education at the public schools of the county, and at the age of nineteen years went to Lock Haven, Penn., where he worked in the lumber business as a day laborer, also on the Susquehanna river, in the same capacity. In 1884 he came to Elk county, and purchased one hundred acres of wood land in Benzinger township, which he cleared of the timber. For one year he acted as foreman for the Arthur Coal & Lumber Company, at Swissmont Station, Elk county. In 1886 Mr. Koch married Josephine, daughter of Lawrence (Wesnetzer), of St. Mary's, and purchased the Wesnetzer homestead. He has since resided at St. Mary's, with the exception of one year spent at Rasselas, Elk county, in the lumber trade, and February 15, 1887, he established his present livery business. Mr. Koch casts his vote with the Republican party. Mrs. Koch is a member of the Catholic Church.
GEORGE F. KRELLNER, baker, of St. Mary's, was born in Bavaria, Germany, January 16, 1837, and is a son of John and Margaret (Engelhart) Krellner. He was reared and educated in his native country, and there served a three years apprenticeship at the baker's trade. In 1858 he came to America, settling in St. Mary's, and lumbered in the woods up to 1861, in April of which year he enlisted in the First Pennsylvania Regiment "Bucktails," in which he served three months. Re-enlisting, he joined Company E, Sixth Pennsylvania Reserves, and was wounded in the battle of South Mountain, September 14, 1862, and was honorably discharged, on account of disability, in the spring of 1863. After working in the Government bakery, at Washington, D.C. three years, he returned to St. Mary's, and again lumbered in the woods until 1872, in which year he opened a bakery in the borough, which he has since successfully conducted, having now the principal bakery in the place. Mr. Krellner was twice married; first to Mary, daughter of John Kline, of Louisville, Ky., and by her has had two sons: Joseph and John. His present wife was Kate Kline, sister of his first wife, .by whom he has three children: Mary, Clements and George. Mr. Krellner is a member of the German Catholic Church. He is independent in politics, and has held the office of councilman four years; school director, ten years in succession; assessor, collector and mercantile appraiser.
CHARLES A. LION, proprietor of meat market, St. Mary's, was born in St. Mary's, Elk Co., Penn., August 21, 1860, and is a son of Wendel and Mary J. (Herbstritt) Lion, natives of Germany, and who were among the pioneers of St. Mary's, the father being a shoemaker by trade, which he followed up to his death. Their children were ten in number, viz.: Mary Magdalena (Mrs. John B. Heindl), Katie (Mrs. B. Wendler), Maggie ‘(Mrs. Joshua Dreisbach), Josephine (Mrs. Charles B. Garner), Elizabeth (Mrs. Andrew Geeck), Frederick, Charles A., Frank, Joseph and John. Of these, Charles A. was reared and educated in St. Mary's, and in the fall of 1878 embarked in his present business, in which he has since successfully continued. He married, May 14, 1884, Tressie, daughter of Joseph and Tressie Pontzer, of Kersey, Elk Co., Penn., and has five children: Charles, Minnie, Edward, Frederick and Robert. Mr. Lion is a member of the Catholic Church. Politically he is a Democrat, and has held the office of councilman and school director of St. Mary's.
CHARLES LUHR, merchant and brewer, St. Mary's, was born in the grand duchy of Baden, near Freiburg, Germany, September 25, 1830, and is a son of Joseph and Barbara (Loesch) Luhr, who settled in what is now St. Mary's borough, Elk Co., Penn., in 1846. His father, who was one of the first hotel-keepers in St. Mary's, cleared the lot on which the Luhr House now stands, erected the building and conducted the hotel from 1846 to 1869, when he retired from business. His family consisted of four children: Charles, Frank X., Josephine (Mrs. Dr. W. James Blekley) and Henry. Our subject was reared in Germany until fifteen years of age, when he came to the United States, landing in New York in September, 1845. He attended school in Baltimore until July, 1846, when he set out to join his parents at St. Mary's, taking ten days to make the journey from Baltimore. Mr. Luhr remained with his parents until twenty-seven years of age, attending to the business of the hotel, teaching school, and for a short time acting as agent for the Ridgway Farm & Land Company. In 1857 he embarked in the mercantile business, in which he has since been successfully engaged, and is now a member of the firm of J.C. Frank & Co., general merchants. September 9, 1876, with his brother, Henry, he purchased the St.. Mary's brewery, which they have since operated. He is also interested in the real estate business, having purchased and made Luhr's allotment an addition to the borough of St. Mary's. Mr. Luhr was married November 30, 1857, to Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph and Margaret (Knickenberger) Beleke, of St. Mary's, and by her he has had ten children, six of whom are living now: Rosa M. (Mrs. J.C. Frank), Joseph J., Charles W., Frank E., Fred A. and Alfred F. The deceased children were named Josephine J. (Mrs. Charles D. Miller), Henrietta B., Fredericka A. and Emma E. Mr. Luhr and family are members of the Catholic Church. He is a representative and leading citizen; has filled the office of county auditor one term of three years; county treasurer one term (1863- 64), and associate judge one term of five years. He has held all the leading offices in the borough of St. Mary's, including burgess, justice of the peace, councilman and school director. Politically he has always been a stanch Democrat.
JOSEPH J. LUHR, merchant tailor, St. Mary's, was born in St. Mary's, Elk Co., Penn., May 5, 1864, and is a son of Charles and Elizabeth (Beleke) Luhr. He was reared in his native town and educated in the schools of St. Mary's and at St. Vincent's College, Latrobe, Penn. He began life for himself as a clerk, and January 1, 1889, embarked in his present business in St. Mary's. On September 22, 1885, Mr. Luhr married Frances, daughter of John and Caroline (Sternberger) Krug, of St. Mary's, and they have two sons, Augustin C. and Vincent H. Mr. Luhr is a wide -awake and enterprising young business man. He is a member of the Catholic Church, and of the Catholic Mutual Benefit Association of Emporium; in politics he is a Democrat.
CHARLES W. LUHR, saloon-keeper, St. Mary's, was born in St. Mary's, Elk Co., Penn., December 25, 1866, and is a son of Charles and Elizabeth (Beleke) Luhr. He was reared and educated in his native town, and in 1886 embarked in his present business, in which he has since successfully continued. Mr. Luhr married, May 1, 1888, Theresa, daughter of John and Anna (Gerg) Schauer, of St. Mary's. He is a member of the German Catholic Church, and St. John's Benevolent Society. In politics he is a Democrat.
HENRY LUHR, brewer, St. Mary's, was born in St. Mary's, Elk Co., Penn., September 20, 1849, and is a son of Joseph and Barbara (Loesch) Luhr, who settled in St. Mary's in 1846. He was reared and educated in his native place, where he has always resided, and at the age of eighteen entered his brother's general store as a clerk; afterward, for fourteen years, was engaged in the mercantile business. Since 1876, in company with his brother, Charles, Mr. Luhr has successfully operated the St. Mary's brewery. On November 13, 1875, he married Amanda, daughter of Barnard B. and Mary A. (Fuegle) Weidenboerner, of St. Mary's, Elk county, and they have five children: Alois, Eugene, Edward, George and Mary A. Mr. Luhr and family are members of St. Mary's German Catholic Church; he is a member of St. John's Benevolent Society, and in politics is a Democrat.
WILLIAM A. McCOY, assistant superintendent of the coal mines of Kaul & Hall, St. Mary's, was born in Milesburg, Centre Co., Penn., June 15, 1843, a son of Thomas and Jane (Hall) McCoy, natives of Pennsylvania. He was reared and educated in his native county, where he served one term, 1857 to 1860, as deputy sheriff. On April 19, 1861, he enlisted, in Company A. Second Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, served three months, and was honorably discharged; then re-enlisted, July 17, 1863, in the United States Navy, and August 9, 1864, was honorably discharged. On August 17, following, Mr. McCoy again enlisted; this time in the Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Regiment, in which he served until the close of the war, being mustered out July 17, 1865. He then returned to Centre county, and there followed farming until 1869, when he commenced in the hotel business in Philipsburg, Penn., which he carried on until 1870, in which year he located in Clearfield county and engaged in the lumber trade for one year. In 1871 he came to St. Mary's, and lumbered in the woods until 1873, when he secured the position of weigher of coal at Dagus Mines, Elk county, for the Northwest Mining and Exchange Company, remaining there until March 17, 1878, when he accepted his present position. On July 5, 1873, Mr. McCoy married Mary, daughter of James and Margaret (Casey) Sullivan, early settlers of Fox township, Elk Co., Penn., and has four children: T. Edgar, Laura, William A., Jr., and Maggie. Mr. McCoy served one term (five years) as justice of the peace of Benzinger township, Elk Co., Penn., but refused a second term. He is a member of the G.A.R., and in politics is a Democrat.
CHARLES McVEAN, druggist, St. Mary's, was born June 4, 1827, in Oswegatchie, St. Lawrence Co., N.Y., where he was reared and educated. In 1851 he settled in Ridgway, Elk Co., Penn., where for two years he served as clerk for John Cobb in general business. He afterward acted in the same capacity for J.S. Hyde for two years, and in 1859' entered into partnership with Mr. Hyde, with whom he was associated in business up to 1861, when he embarked in general mercantile business with Jacob Houk, which partnership existed two years. In 1866 he located in St. Mary's, where he commenced the general merchandise business with James Coyne, which continued up to 1868, when he opened out his present drug business. Mr. McVean has always been an active Republican, and has served one term as clerk, prothonotary and recorder of Elk county. He was postmaster of St. Mary's for eighteen years, having been appointed during President Grant's first administration.
CHARLES D. MILLER, merchant, St. Mary's, was born in the province of Nassau, Prussia, September 1, 1854, and is a son of Theodore and Margaretta (Schneider) Miller, the former of whom came to America in 1857, where he became a jobber in lumber, in which business he continued until 1882, when he retired. The subject of these lines came to America when thirteen years of age, and worked on the Philadelphia & Erie Railroad, until 1873. In 1874 he embarked in his present business in St. Mary's as dealer in books, stationery, tobacco and cigars, and has built up a successful trade. He was twice married- first to Josephine, daughter of Charles and Elizabeth (Beleke) Luhr, of St. Mary's, afterward to Clara, daughter of William Mechleiser, also of St. Mary's. Mr. Miller is a member of the Catholic Church and St. John's and St. Joseph's Societies. He is a Democrat and one of the auditors of the borough of St. Mary's.
ALFRED MULLHAUPT, physician and druggist, St. Mary's, was born in White Hall township, Lehigh Co., Penn., August 30, 1859, and is a son of Mathias and Josephine (Meyer) Millhaupt. He was reared in his native county, receiving a public-school education, after which he served an apprenticeship of four years to the drug business- two years in Catasauqua, Penn., and two years in Philadelphia- and was graduated from the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, March 10, 1882. He began the study of medicine in that city in 1881 with Dr. S. Mason McCollin, and in the fall of 1882 entered Jefferson Medical College, where he was graduated April 2, 1884, during which time he practiced two years in Philadelphia. On July 18, 1884, he located in St. Mary's, where, with the exception of two months, he has been in active practice since, and has also conducted a drug store since February 27, 1887. The Doctor married, December 30, 1886, Helena M., daughter of Dr. John and Sarah (Hoops) Davis, of Pottstown, Penn., and by her has one child, Alfred. Mrs. Mullhaupt was graduated from the Woman's Medical College of Philadelphia in the spring of 1880; then practiced one year in the Woman's Hospital, and afterward in Pottstown, Penn., until the spring of 1885, when she went to Jacksonville, Fla., as superintendent of St. Luke's Hospital in that city for six months, after which she resumed practice in Pottstown, and in January, 1887, she located in St. Mary's, with her husband, where she has built up a lucrative practice.
HENRY A. PARSONS, JR., St. Mary's, was born in Ridgway, Elk Co., Penn., May 26, 1852, and is a son of Henry A. and Caroline E. (Russell) Parsons, natives of Massachusetts and New York, respectively, who settled in Ridgway in 1848. The mother died December 30, 1866. The father, who was a shoemaker by trade, which he followed in Ridgway for twenty-five years, died in Nebraska, October 10, 1885. His children were Henry A., Jr., Clara A. (Mrs. F.H. Burr), Jennie L. (Mrs. J.W. Morgester), Laura L. (Mrs. S.P. Fisher) and Grace (Mrs. Dickinson). Reared in Ridgway and educated in the public schools of that place, and the normal school of Edinborough, Penn., he learned the printer's trade at Ridgway and Emporium, and for fourteen years was editor and publisher of the Ridgway Advocate. Mr. Parsons was married March 17, 1873, to Eva M. Fuller, of Edinborough, Penn., and has two sons: Frank H. and Edward A. He served six years in Ridgway as member and secretary of the first school board of that borough. Mr. Parsons located in St. Mary's in 1887, and was appointed postmaster of the borough May 28, 1889, and confirmed by the United States Senate December 21, 1889. Politically he has always been an ardent Republican; was chairman of the Elk County Republican Committee in 1884, and one of the conferees from Elk county to name the delegate to the convention at Chicago from the Twentieth Congressional District that year. He is first lieutenant of Company H, Sixteenth Regiment, N.G.P.
WILLIAM L. PRICE, photographer, St. Mary's, was born in Baltimore county, Md., March 16, 1847, a son of Stephen B. and Mary (Laird) Price, and was reared and educated in his native county. In April, 1870, he went to Milford, Oakland Co., Mich., and married, March 19, 1872, Caroline E., daughter of Joseph Nute, of Oakland county, Mich. In 1881 he moved to Smethport, McKean Co., Penn., where he learned the photographic art, in the gallery of S.L. Bergstresser, and in 1882 located in St. Mary's, where he worked as an operator in the photograph gallery of H.W. Bridges nine months. He then purchased his present business, in which he has been eminently successful, having secured, by his ability, a handsome patronage. Our subject is a member of the F. & A.M., and of the E.A.U. Politically, he is an advocate of Prohibition.
FRANK G. ROTHROCK, merchant, St. Mary's, was born in Caledonia, Elk Co., Penn., May 8, 1859, and is a son of Robert arid Jane D. (Hicks) Rothrock. His paternal grandfather, John Rothrock, a lumberman by occupation, settled, in 1850, in Caledonia, where he died the following year; and his maternal grandfather, John C. Hicks, was a son of Levi Hicks, who settled in Driftwood (now in Cameron county) in 1804. Robert Rothrock, father of Frank G., is now a resident of Driftwood, where he is a prominent dealer in lumber and real estate. The subject of our sketch was reared in Elk and Cameron counties, and educated in the public schools of Williamsport, Lycoming county, and at Selin's Grove Institute, Selin's Grove, Penn. He began active business life in the store of A.B. Noyes & Co., of Williamsport, since when he has been connected with mercantile trade at various points, and he is now manager of a fancy grocery store in St. Mary's, owned by his father, a position he has occupied since May 1, 1889. On November 4, 1879, Mr. Rothrock married Kate, daughter of James and Clarinda (Hoover) Crossley, of Driftwood, Penn., and they have had four children: Eva, Ralph, Edward (deceased) and Paul. Mr. Rothrock is a member of the Episcopal Church; in politics a Republican.
EBEN J. RUSS, M.D., St. Mary's, was born in Sunbury, Penn., May 24, 1840, and is a son of Eben and Rachel (Simpson) Russ. His father was a native of Monson, Mass., but early in life removed to Sunbury, this State, where he taught school for a time, later becoming engaged in the mercantile business, and married there. He studied law with the late Hon. Alex Jordan, and died shortly after at the age of thirty-nine years. The subject of this sketch was reared in Sunbury, having received his early education at the public and select schools of his native place, and at Dickinson Seminary, Williamsport, Penn. After a term of tutelage with his preceptor, Robert Harris Awl, M.D., of Sunbury, he entered the medical department of Columbian University (known as the National Medical College) at Washington, D.C., in the fall of 1858, and was graduated in the spring of 1801. He immediately entered upon the practice of his profession, locating near Williamsport, Penn., but shortly afterward, upon the invitation of Hon. Simon Cameron, secretary of war, he went to Washington in order to appear before the regular army medical examining board, as an applicant for the position of medical cadet. Having passed a successful examination, he received the appointment, and, after a few months service, was assigned to acting assistant surgeon duty. He served about one and a half years, when he was accidently poisoned, at New Creek, Va., in consequence of which he was compelled to resign. He then returned to Williamsport, Penn., and resumed private practice until 1866, when he settled at St. Mary's, where he has been in active practice of' his profession ever since. July 28, 1875, he married Clare, daughter of Grundy and Louisa Hindle. He has one child, a son. The Doctor is an active member of several of the important medical associations, among which may be mentioned the Elk County Medical Society, Medical Society of the State of Pennsylvania and the American Medical Association. He has been a member of the mercantile firm of Coryell & Russ, one of the principal houses in the county, since 1873, and is largely interested in coal mining at St. Mary's and Tyler, Clearfield county, in the manufacture of coke at the latter place. He is also identified with the Otto Chemical Company, at Sergeant, McKean county, being a member of the firm. Various other business enterprises, at Williamsport and elsewhere, claim his attention. In politics he is a Republican.
JOSEPH M. SCHAEFER, accountant, St. Mary's, was born in St. Mary's, Elk Co., Penn., in 1851, a son of George F. and Gereve (Werreth) Schaefer, former a native of Pforzheim, Baden, Germany, born February 19, 1812. George F. Schaefer came to the United States in 1837, landing same year in Baltimore; Md. In 1839 he was married, and in 1845 he and his wife came to St. Mary's, where he became superintendent for Benzinger & Eschbach. Joseph M. Schaefer received his education in the common schools of his native borough, and in 1871 entered the office of J.K.P. Hall, in St. Mary's. In 1874 Mr. Schaefer married Alice McGill, daughter of R.C. McGill, and they have four children: Joseph Fred, Mary P., Charles J. and Gertrude. The parents are members of the Catholic Church, in politics Mr. Schaefer is a Democrat.
IGNATIUS. SCHAUT, proprietor of a planing-mill, St. Mary's, was born in St. Mary's, Elk Co., Penn., July 9, 1854, and is a son of George and Sophia (Meyer) Schaut, natives of Prussia, who came to America in 1849 and settled in St. Mary's, where they reared a family of seven children: Ignatius, Mary, Mrs. Joseph E. Foster; Joseph J.P., Josephine, Edward, Lizzie and Louisa. The father was a carpenter and painter by trade. Ignatius Schaut was reared in his native town, where, with the exception of four years, he has always resided. In August, 1873, he commenced his present business, which he has since successfully continued. He married, September 20, 1880, Mary G., daughter of Bernard and Mary A. (Fuegly) Weidenboerner, of St. Mary's, and they have three children: Charles, Alfred and Florentine. Mr. Schaut and family are members of the Catholic Church. Politically he is a Democrat, and has held the office of auditor of Benzinger township.
PETER SHOUP, bottler and wholesale liquor dealer, St. Mary's, was born at Madison Furnace, Clarion Co., Penn., October 19, 1861, a son of Lawrence and Lena (Snyder) Shoup, former a native of Germany and latter of Pennsylvania. Lawrence Shoup was a resident of Clarion county about fifty years, and Joseph Snyder, maternal grandfather of Peter Shoup, a native of Germany, was one of the pioneers of Knox township, same county. The subject of our sketch was reared and educated in his native county, and in 1881 came to Elk county, where he worked in the lumber woods up to 1885. He then embarked in the hotel, business in St. Mary's, becoming proprietor of the Luhr House, which he carried on two years, and in 1887 engaged in his present business, which he has successfully continued since, having built up a lucrative trade. In January, 1882, Mr. Shoup married Jennie, daughter of Antony Mottmiller, of Paint township, Clarion Co., Penn., and by her has four children: Bert, Nora, Mamie and Magdalena. Mr. Shoup is a Democrat in politics, and a member of the Catholic Church.
PETER STRAUB, brewer, St. Mary's, was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, June 28, 1850, a son of Anton and Anna M. (Eger) Straub. He was reared and educated in his native country, and came to America in 1869, locating in Allegheny City, Penn., where he was employed in the brewery of Eberhart & Ober four months. He then removed to Brookville, same State, and in the breweries of this place worked two years, at which time he returned to Allegheny City, where he worked four months, and also at McKeesport, Allegheny county, four months. In 1876 Mr. Straub came to Centreville, Elk county, where he was employed in a brewery six months, and then met his wife and eldest child, re-visited his native land, where they saw the exposition at Paris, 1878. On their return to their home in this country, he entered, the employ of Joseph Windfelder, with whom he remained one year and eight months. In 1878 he commenced on his own account, and since November of that year has conducted a brewery and built up a successful business. Mr. Straub became united in marriage with Sabrina, daughter of F.X. Sorg, at St. Mary's, and by her has five children: Frank X., Josie, Anton, Anna M. and Jacob. Our subject is a member of the Catholic Church; in politics he is a Democrat.
HENRY A. STUBENBERG, with Hall, Kaul & Co., lumber dealers, etc., St. Mary's, was born in Philadelphia, Penn., December 24, 1849, fourth in the family of children born to Henry and, Angeline (Nemond) Sturenberg, natives of Germany. The parents came to America in 1840 and remained in Philadelphia for a time. They moved to St. Mary's in June, 1851, where they resided until their death, the father dying in 1873, and the mother in 1882. The subject of our sketch was favored with but meager school privileges, and what education he did receive in boyhood and youth was in German, but, being quick and gifted with bright faculties, he soon made, himself conversant with English. When quite young, he was employed as clerk in the store of Coryell & Bates, St. Mary's, with whom he remained seven years, his next engagement being with his present employers, Hall, Kaul & Co., in whose service he has been for a period of fourteen years, which fact in itself is ample testimony to his reliability and correctness. Mr. Sturenberg was married, in 1872, to Martha Reynolds, by whom he has one son, James H., and one daughter, Carrie. He is a member of the Catholic Church, and in politics a stanch Democrat.
N.J. TIERNEY, of the firm of Spafford & Tierney, merchants, St. Mary's, was born in Carbondale, Penn., August 17, 1860, a son of John and Catherine (Dunnigan) Tierney, formerly of the County Mayo, Ireland, who came to America in 1844, and located at Carbondale, Penn., where they carried on farming. In 1862 they moved to Benzinger township, Elk county, same State, where the father engaged as a laborer on the Philadelphia & Erie Railroad, and died in 1865. His widow resides with her son, N.J., in St. Mary's, whither she removed in 1866. Their children were seven in number, of whom six yet live: Mary (Mrs. John D. Cruise), Timothy B., John C., Catherine (Mrs. James McDevitt), Eugene S. and N.J. The subject of these lines was reared in St. Mary's, from six years of age, and received a high-school education. He started in life as a messenger boy for the Western Union Telegraph Company, learned telegraphy, and afterward filled most of the positions in the principle offices on the Philadelphia & Erie Railroad, as operator, for five years. Resigning in 1877 he has since been manager of the telegraph office in St. Mary's for the Western Union Telegraph Company, and has also been engaged in mercantile business in the borough, along with W.C. Spafford. Mr. Tierney married, October 7, 1882, Adeline, daughter of Michael Brunner, of St. Mary's, and has two children: Regina C. and Mildred A. He is a member of the Catholic Church, and has been president of the I.C.B.U. five years. In politics he is a Democrat, and has served as auditor one term.
A.E. TIMM, merchant, and undertaker and embalmer, St. Mary's, was born in Fox township, Elk Co., Penn., January 10, 1860, and is a son of Adolph and. Catherine (Wachtel) Timm. His father is a native of Meckleuburg-Schwerin, Germany, born September 19, 1821, a son of John and Sophia (Grushow) Timm, and was reared in his native land, where he served an apprenticeship of three years at the wheelwright's trade, and afterward worked as a journeyman for seven years. Coming to America in 1850, he located in Bethlehem, Penn., for one year, and in 1851 he located in Elk county, where he worked at his trade in St. Mary's for three years; then moved to Centreville, and opened a shop on his own account, doing a successful trade up to 1878, when he commenced in the mercantile business at Centreville, which he carried on four years. In 1882 he came to St. Mary's, where he now resides. The subject proper of this sketch was reared in Elk and Clearfield counties, and was educated at the public schools and Clearfield, Academy. In 1876 he came to St. Mary's, where he held the position of book-keeper in the general store of Joseph Wilhelm for eight years, and then embarked in his present business. Mr. Timm married in May, 1880, Catherine, daughter of Joseph and Mary D. (Hitter) Wilhelm, of St. Mary's, and they have two children living: Nellie and Emma. Mr. Timm is a member of the Catholic Church, of St. John's Society, and the I.C.B.U. Politically he is a Democrat, and was elected auditor of Elk county in 1886, for a term of three years.
JOHN E. WEIDENBOERNER, insurance and express agent and merchant, St. Mary's, was born in Philadelphia, Penn., May 1, 1835, and is a son of Barnard B. and Mary A. (Fuegle) Weidenboerner, natives of Hessia and Baden, Germany, respectively. Barnard Weidenboerner left home at sixteen years of age, landing in Brazil, South America, where he was pressed into the Brazilian army, in. which he served two years. About 1827 he came to New York, and after traveling about the country for a time, located in Philadelphia, where he followed shoemaking (which he had learned in Brazil), and there married. In 1845 he settled in St. Mary's, Elk Co., Penn., where he followed his trade as well as farming, up to his death, which occurred August 10, 1886. His children were fifteen in number, ten of whom grew to maturity: John E., Mary, George, Philemena, Theresa (Mrs. George Hintenact), Julia (Mrs. John Forster, Amanda (Mrs. Henry Luhr), Mary (Mrs. Ignatius Schaut), Egid and Rosa (Mrs. Nick Mangold). Of these, John E. was reared in St. Mary's, from ten years of age, learning the shoemaker's trade with his father. In 1858 he began civil engineering, which he followed until 1861, when he enlisted in the One Hundred and Fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and took part in all the battles from Fortress Monroe to Richmond, Va., and after the retreat of Gen. McClellan, was discharged at Harrison's Landing, Va.; then, after returning home, he resumed civil engineering in the United States and Mexico, following the vocation until 1870. He then embarked in the mercantile business, in which he still continues. Mr. Weidenboerner has been agent for the Adams Express Company for about ten years, and has been in the insurance business since 1878. He married, in 1864, Mary L., daughter of Joseph and Anna (Leisz) Dorner, of St. Mary's, and has two children: Mary L. and Andrew. Mr. Weidenboerner and family are members of the Catholic Church. He is a Democrat, and has held the office of school director several terms.
GEORGE WEIDENBOERNER, St. Mary's was born in Philadelphia, Penn., January 28, 1841, and is a son of Barnard B. and Mary A. (Fuegle) Weidenboerner, who settled in St. Mary's, Elk Co., Penn., in 1845. He was reared in St. Mary's from four years of age, and received a common-school education. During the Civil war he was employed sixteen months in the Military Railroad Construction Corps in Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia and Alabama. After the war he engaged as a clerk in a store in St. Mary's for a short time, and in 1867 he moved to Warren, Penn., where he served in the same capacity for three years. In 1870 he returned to St. Mary's and commenced in the hardware business, which he successfully conducted up to 1888, in which year he sold out. Mr. Weidenboerner married, May 19, 1877, Mary, daughter of Lawrence J. Wesnetzer, a pioneer of St. Mary's, and by her has six children: Emma, Henry, Joseph, Laura, Charles and Bertha. Mr. Weidenboerner is a member of the Catholic Church, and in politics is a Democrat. He has served one term as treasurer of Elk county and one term as chief burgess of St. Mary's, also as councilman two terms.
GEORGE EDWIN WEIS, merchant, St. Mary's, was born in Philadelphia, Penn., June 18, 1833, and is a son of George and Juliana (Weisenberger) Weis, who settled in St. Mary's in September, 1844, and resided there until their death, the father being a merchant by occupation. They reared a family of seven children, as follows: Mary (Mrs. Joseph Windfelder), Charles, George E., Caroline (Mrs. Michael Brunner), William, Albert and Josephine. Of these, George Edwin was reared in St. Mary's from eleven years of age, and from boyhood has been engaged in mercantile pursuits. He married, January 10, 1860, Margaretha, daughter of Ambrose and Mary A. (Schmoker) Forster, of St. Mary's, and they have had ten children: Julia C. (Mrs. John Walker), Theresa, William, Louis, Edward, Carrie, Mary, Otto, Frederick and Bertha. Mr. Weis, in politics, is a Democrat, and has been chief burgess and justice of the peace of St. Mary's; served as prothonotary of Elk county two terms of three years each; county commissioner one term of three years, and is now serving his third term as associate judge. He is a member of the Catholic Church.
ALBERT WEIS, sewing-machine agent, harness dealer, horse dealer, etc., St. Mary's, was born in Philadelphia, Penn., October 22, 1841, and is a son of George and Juliana (Weisenberger) Weis, natives of Germany, who settled in St. Mary's in 1844. Albert Weis was reared in. St. Mary's from three years of age, and began life in the mercantile business as a partner of Weis Bros., in which he was engaged from 1866 to 1884. In 1871 he embarked in the livery business, and conducted a stable up to 1883. In 1879 he engaged in the harness business, which he has since successfully conducted, and in 1888 he was appointed agent for the Davis Sewing Machine Company. Mr. Weis was married October 27, 1863, to Mary G., daughter of Michael and Christiana Langenfeldt, of St. Mary's, and by her has nine children living: John J., Annie M., Albert C., Rose, Emma, Ida, Elizabeth, Jennie and Robert J. Mr. Weis in politics is a Democrat, and has been councilman, constable, tax collector and school director of St. Mary's, and was elected sheriff of Elk County in 1883, serving three years. He and his family are members of St. Mary's German Catholic Church.
JOHN J. WEIS, harness-maker, St. Mary's, was born in St. Mary's, Elk Co., Penn., August 7, 1864, and is a son of Albert and Mary (Langenfeldt) Weis. The subject of our sketch was reared and educated in his native town, and learned the harness-maker's trade, which he has followed as a journeyman workman since 1882. Mr. Weis married, October 23, 1888, Josephine, daughter of John B. and Mary M. (Lion) Heindl, of St. Mary's, and. they' have one, son, Richard Albert. Mr. Weis is a member of the Catholic Church, and in politics is independent.
G.A. WESCOTT, foreman of the Gazette office, took charge of the office in 1886. For three years prior to this date he had charge of the Ridgway Advocate, and was connected with that office for five years. He was born at Portland, nine miles below Ridgeway, in 1860. His father, Roderick Wescott, is an old resident of this county, having settled in the Wilcox neighborhood as one of the pioneers.
D.R. WILMARTH, of the firm of D.R. Wilmarth & Co., publishers of the Elk County Gazette, St. Mary's, which journal was established in 1868, is a son of Frederick and Frances A. (Rolfe) Wilmarth, mention of whom will be found elsewhere in this volume. D.B. Wilmarth was born in Pittsburgh, February 11, 1866, but was brought to Rolfe, Elk county, when only two years of age. From that point the family moved to St. Mary's, in 1881, and here, in August, 1884, our subject entered the law office of Harry Alvan Hall, under whom he pursued his legal studies until April, 1887, when he and his preceptor bought the Gazette, of which Mr. Hall became the editor and Mr. Wilmarth the business manager and local editor. In January, 1890, Mr. Hall retired from the editorship and ownership of the Gazette, and Mr. Wilmarth became its sole proprietor. The paper, like its owner, is an advocate of the Democratic party, and has met with success in a pecuniary way, as well as popularity with the reading public. Mr. Wilmarth is a member of Washington Camp, No. 378, P.O.S. of A., of Ridgway, Penn.
FRANK WILMARTH, book-keeper for Hall & Kaul, St. Mary's, was born in Pittsburgh, Penn., in 1861, a son of Frederick and Frances A. (Rolfe) Wilmarth, the latter a daughter of the late H.M. Rolfe, of Pittsburgh. Lyman Wilmarth, the grandfather of Frank Wilmarth, was an early pioneer of Elk county, Penn. (then part of Jefferson county), having come here in 1832 from the State of New York, and, in conjunction with Arthur Hughes (now living in Cleveland, Ohio, at an advanced age) and George Dickinson (now deceased), built a saw-mill at Ridgway, which in those days was considered a large concern, as it consisted of three sash saws. In order to get the necessary machinery for the mill to its proper location, they had to cut their own roads through the wilderness a greater part of the way, and their first prospecting trip was made partly on horseback and partly in foot. Lyman Wilmarth married Lemira Dickinson, sister of Judge Dickinson, and they had nine children, five of whom were born in Elk county, Penn. Mr. Wilmarth once wrote a very interesting history of Elk county, from the time of its first settlement (about 1811) up to 1886, which history was published in the county paper in the latter year. His death took place at Earley, Elk county, in 1867. Fred Wilmarth was born in Ridgway, Elk county, in 1837, and lived there when the then hamlet was forty miles away from any other settlement. From 1845 until 1864 he was an absentee, and on his return, the then thriving borough was within eleven hours ride of Philadelphia. Frank Wilmarth, whose name heads this sketch, has been with the firm of Hall & Kaul since 1881, and is held in high esteem by the firm and the public generally. He was married in 1888 to Jennie M., daughter of Salyer Jackson, of Elk county.
CHARLES SEYMOUR WILMARTH, bank cashier, St. Mary's, was born in Pittsburgh, Penn., November 4, 1862, a son of Frederick and Frances A. (Rolfe) Wilmarth, and has been a resident of Elk county all his life, with the exception of about five years spent with his grandparents in Pittsburgh. In May, 1878, he entered the employ of the Pittsburgh & Castle Shannon Railroad Company, as a telegraph operator, and in the spring of 1880 he entered Duff's Commercial College, Pittsburgh, from which institution he graduated the following summer. In May, 1883, he became cashier of the St. Mary's Bank of Hyde, Hall & Co., and has rendered the utmost satisfaction to his employers ever since. January 4, 1887, Mr. Wilmarth married Miss Annie B. Denny, daughter of W.F. and Elizabeth J. (Wellendorf) Denny, and this union has been blessed by the birth of two children: Anita D. (aged two years) and Frances C. (aged eight months). Mr. Wilmarth has always been a strong Democrat, but, although a very popular young man, has never sought official position, nor has he ever been a candidate for one.
C.G. WILSON, M.D., St. Mary's, was born in Milton, Northumberland Co., Penh., September 5, 1848, and is a son of William and Sarah (Brown) Wilson. He was reared in his native State and educated at Jersey Shore Academy, Jersey Shore, Penn., and at Princeton College, Princeton, N.J. In 1870 he began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. D.H. Hunter, of Watsontown, Penn., attending a course of lectures at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Penn., the same year, and also a course at the medical department of the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, in 1872. In 1873 he re-entered Jefferson Medical College, and was there graduated in 1874. The same year he began the practice of his profession in Watsontown, Penn., and in July, 1876, located in St. Mary's, where he has since remained and built up an extensive practice. The Doctor married Tillie, daughter of Hon. J.M. and Susan (Hackenberg) Follmer, of Watsontown, Penn., and they have two children: Jay (now aged fourteen years) and Effie May (now aged four years). Dr. Wilson is a member of the American Medical Association, the State Medical Society, the Medical Society Of Elk and Cameron counties, and is surgeon for the P. & E.R.R.; is also a medical examiner for many of the leading life insurance companies, including, the Travelers' of Hartford, Mutual Life of New York, Union Central of Cincinnati, Ohio; Keystone, of Allentown, Penn.; Northwestern, of' Milwaukee, Wis., and others. In politics he is a Democrat.
SEBASTIAN WIMMER, civil engineer, St. Mary's, was born in Thalmassing, near Ratisbon, Bavaria, Germany, January 5, 1831, and is a son of George and Theresa (Hahn) Wimmer, and a nephew of the late Arch-abbot Boniface Wimmer, O.S.B; He was reared in Munich, Germany, from 1833 to 1851, and was educated in the Polytechnic school at that place, from which he graduated in 1849. On June 2, 1851, he landed in New York, but located in Westmoreland county, Penn., for awhile, and finally secured, at Pittsburgh, Penn., a position with Hastings & Preisser, city engineers, from June, 1852, to November 15, 1852. He then went to New Orleans, remaining there six months, when he returned to Pennsylvania, and secured from Chief Engineer Milnor Roberts, in June, 1853, the appointment of assistant engineer in the building of the Allegheny Valley Railroad, having charge of the second division, from Tarentum to Kittanning. In October, 1856, Mr. Wimmer went to Minnesota, but came back and married Miss L.H. Blakely, at Pittsburgh, February 12, 1857; then returned and located in St. Paul, where, soon after (May, 1858), he was appointed assistant engineer of the Minneapolis & Cedar Valley Railroad, which position he held until August, 1859. He then returned to Pittsburgh, where he left his family, and again proceeded to New Orleans, with a view of locating there, but on account of sickness was compelled to relinquish that idea; came again north, and graduated soon after from the Iron City Commercial College and accepted the position of bookkeeper at Saint Vincent Abbey, Westmoreland county, Penn., during which time he was instrumental in having a post-office and telegraph office established there, and was appointed its first postmaster. During 1862 he was surveying on behalf of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company a line from Garland, on the P. & E.R.R., to Enterprise, Titusville and Oil City; was transferred in June, 1863, on behalf of the same company, to St. Mary's, Elk Co., Penn., to take charge of "Edward Miller and Milton Courtright's contract" to complete the Philadelphia & Erie Railroad between Whetham, sixteen miles west of Lock Haven, and Warren, Penn., a distance of 143 miles. After finishing this railroad, he set out, March 29, 1865, for Mexico, via Cuba, and there took charge of the mountain division of the Vera Cruz & Mexico City Railroad, remaining over two years, then went to London, England, to settle the affairs of the company. On his return to Pennsylvania, he took charge of the eastern forty-five miles of the Low Grade division of the Allegheny Valley Railroad. After completing that work in June, 1874, he became a candidate for the legislature from the Elk county district; was elected, and served two successive sessions. In 1877 Mr. Wimmer was appointed chief engineer of the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad, after completing which, he was appointed chief engineer of the New York & Northern Railroad in 1879, acting in that capacity up to 1882; then revisited Mexico, and on, his return became chief engineer of the Erie & Wyoming Valley Railroad (Penn.). In 1888 he built the Yonkers Rapid Transit Railroad, from Van Cortlandt to Getty's Square, at Yonkers, N.Y., and made surveys for the New York & Northern Railroad at and near Croton Lake. Mr. Wimmer is a stockholder in the Clearfield Coal Company, and has extensive landed interests in Minnesota; is a member of the American Society of Civil, Engineers, New York City, and politically is a Democrat.
ERNEST J. WIMMER, attorney at law, St. Mary's, was born in Pittsburgh, Penn., September 15, 1859, and is a son of Sebastian and Lavinia H. (Blakely) Wimmer. In 1871 he went to St. Vincent's College and graduated from that institution in 1878. In New York City he was an employe of the Pennsylvania Railroad, in the office of James McCrea, in the capacity of shorthand writer, for seven months. In the office of Calvin Goddard, Thomas Edison's secretary, he filled the position of shorthand writer and telegraph operator at the same time for the N.Y. City & N.R.R. another year. He entered Columbia Law School, and graduated in New York City in 1881, and was admitted to the bar in Brooklyn, N.Y., in 1882. Eight months, were then spent traveling in Europe. On his return he was' admitted to the bar of Elk county, and has, been in continuous practice since. His talents were soon recognized, and' he was elected district attorney in 1885. He convicted William C. Bush, in 1886, of murder in the first degree, but the sentence of the man was afterward commuted to imprisonment for life. In 1888 Mr. Wimmer was re-elected district attorney of Elk county. He has been a resident of St. Mary's since 1863. Mr. Wimmer had the honor last fall of having the largest majority given to any candidate, except one, running over 200 ahead of Cleveland. He is an accomplished newspaper man, and his reputation at the bar is of a high order. Mr. Wimmer was the publisher of the St. Mary's Herald for nearly two years, but in 1889 withdrew from the newspaper business, and has ever since devoted himself entirely to the duties of his profession.
JOSEPH F. WINDFELDER, grocer, saloon-keeper and manufacturer of pop, St. Mary's, was born, in that borough, August 13, 1852, a son of Joseph and Mary (Weis) Windfelder. His father, who was a native of Bavaria, Germany, came to this country and settled in 1846 in St. Mary's, where he commenced in the brewing business, erecting the first brewery in the town, now known as St. Mary's Brewery, which he operated up to 1874. He was also engaged in other lines of business, and served as treasurer of Elk county one term. His family consisted of twelve children, of whom six survive: Joseph F., Mary W., Josephine (Mrs. Frank Fey), Louis, Maggie and Isadore. The subject of this notice was reared and educated in St. Mary's, and began business for himself as proprietor of a restaurant and saloon (in which he is still engaged), embarking, in connection, in the grocery business in 1874, and in 1884 in the manufacture of pop and other soft drinks. Mr. Windfelder married, October 13, 1874, Kate, daughter of John Kaul, of St. Mary's, and by her has five children: Rosa and Mary (twins), Albert, Andrew and Irene. Mr. Windfelder is a member of the Catholic Church; in politics a Democrat, and was deputy treasurer of Elk county under his father's administration.
LEONARD WITTMANN, manufacturer of and dealer in carriages, St. Mary's, was born in Bavaria, Germany, December 4, 1841, and is a son of George and Barbara (Fisher) Wittmann, who came to this country and located in St. Mary's in 1845. The family soon after moved to a farm in Benzinger township, same county, which they cleared and improved, as well as part of another farm. The parents both died in St. Mary's; Their children were three in number, of whom the subject of this sketch is the only survivor. Mr. Wittmann was reared and educated in St. Mary's, and in 1858 he began the trade of a general blacksmith. After working in twenty-three different shops, during a period of seven years, he, in 1866, started a shop of his own in St. Mary's, which, with the exception of two years, he has conducted ever since; from 1873 to 1877 he was in the hardware business with George Weidenboerner. On June 27, 1865, Mr. Wittmann married Mary S., daughter of Charles and Mary (Herzog) Fischer, of St. Mary's, and by her has seven children living: Mary B., Josephine M., Edward G., Annie, Albert J., Louis B. and Henry J. Mr. Wittmann and family are members of the Catholic Church. Politically he, is a Democrat, and has held the offices of councilman six, and school director nine years in succession.
HENRY YAGER, member of the firm of Yager & Co., harness manufacturers, St. Mary's, was born in Roda, Sachsen-Altenburg, Germany, March 18, 1850, and is a son of Julius and Christiana (Roediger) Yager. He was reared in his native country, and served an apprenticeship of three years at the harness and upholstery trades, after which he worked nine years as a journeyman, and then for three years, conducted business on his own account. In 1881 he came to America, and located in St. Mary's, where he worked three years in the harness shop of Albert Weis; then embarked in business for himself in conjunction with Andrew Kaul, under the firm name of Yager & Co., and they are now doing a successful and continually increasing business. Mr. Yager was married, December 12, 1878, to Bertha Prueger, a native of Dorna, near Boda, Sachsen-Altenburg, Germany. This lady died September 10, 1884, the mother of three children: Anna, Paul and Emelia, the last of whom died when six weeks old. April 5, 1885, Mr. Yager took for his second wife Katharina Leutung, also a native .of Germany, and to this union one son, Frederick, was born July 18, 1886. Mr. Yager is a member of the Lutheran Church, and in politics is a Democrat.
Source: Page(s) 789-811, History of Counties of McKean, Elk and Forest, Pennsylvania. Chicago, J.H. Beers & Co., 1890
Transcribed February 2007 by Nathan Zipfel for the Elk County Genealogy Project
Published 2007 by the Elk County Pennsylvania Genealogy Project
Return to the Elk County Home Page
(c) Elk County Genealogy Project