Maxwell, James Andrew, M.D., the youngest but one of six children, sons and daughters of Andrew B. and Isabella (Smith) Maxwell, was born at Newport, Perry county, Pa., on the 22 day of March, in the year 1840. At the age of twelve years he entered the office of the Holidaysburg Register, intending to learn the printing trade. At the same time he attended the academy at Holidaysburg. He remained at this place for about four years, after which he returned home. The family then moved to Chambersburg, Franklin county, where James finished his trade on the Franklin Repository, but at the same time went to school at the academy at the latter place. He then determined to enter the medical profession, and to this end, in the spring of 1861, he commenced a course of medical study withi Dr. A.H. Senseny, which continued about three years. During his studies, however, and in the years 1863-64 he attended a course of lectures at the Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia.
In April, 1864, he received an appointment as medical cadet in the regular army, and was stationed at the Post hospital, at Chambersburg, but was afterward transformed to the McClellan U.S. Hospital at Philadelphia. He was so occupied for about one year and managed, during the time to devote considerable attention to study. He then returned to the college and finished his course, graduating in the spring of 1866, and receiving the degree of M.D. For one year, he practiced in Franklin county, after which he came to Curwensville and made a permanent location.
In the practice of medicine and surgery, Dr. Maxwell has been successful; nor is this success undeserved, for he has been found ready at all times to attend to the duties of his profession, and rich or poor, the patient is treated without distinction of position. This with a thorough understanding of his profession, has brought to him an extensive and remunerative practice, and that which is more to be desired, the respect and confidence of the entire community. In the year, 1869, then having been a resident of Curwensville for about two years, Dr. Maxwell married Rebecca L., daughter of Thomas Ross, a respected resident of the place. Eight children have been born of this marriage, five of whom are now living.
Source: Pages 682, History of Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, edited by Lewis Cass Aldrich, Syracuse, NY: D. Mason & Co., Publishers, 1887.
Transcribed August 1999 by Gloria Gloss for the Clearfield County Aldrich Project
Contributed for use by the Clearfield County Genealogy Project (http://www.pa-roots.com/~clearfield/)
Clearfield County Genealogy Project Notice:
These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format, for any presentation, without prior written permission.
Return to Biographical Record Index
Return to Aldrich Project Index
Return to Clearfield County Genealogy Project
© Clearfield County Genealogy Project