This history appeared in Morton Montgomery's 1908 edition of The History of Berks County, p. 1391.
Surnames: MILLER, YEAGER, WENDT, GROH, BOYER, WEBER
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, of Boyertown, Pa. The first record of this congregation is a baptism on the 30th of June, 1811. Whatever historical records may have been kept are either destroyed of stored somewhere among the old papers and books of the families of the early secretaries of the congregation. The church is a daughter of the historic Falkner Swamp Church in New Hanover, Montgomery county. It was a part of the once large parish of which the Swamp congregation was the central church, but which from 1865 to 1887 consisted of these two only. Since the latter year the Boyertown congregation has been a separate parish. The pastors that have served the congregation were: Rev. Jacob Miller, from 1811 to 1829; Rev. Conrad Miller, 1829-1852; Rev. Nathan Yeager, 1853-1857; Rev. Henry Wendt, 1858-1864; Rev. Abraham H. Groh, 1865; Rev. Leonard Groh, 1866-1891; Rev. Charles C. Boyer, 1891-1893; Rev. Adam M. Weber, 1893 to date.
The congregation occupied jointly with the Reformed congregation the brick church (40x50 feet) on Philadelphia avenue until 1872. A peaceful and friendly separation of property rights was made, the Reformed congregation retaining the old property. The congregation was incorporated April 22, 1871. On August 17th and 18th, 1872, the new church building of brick, 90x55 feet, on Reading avenue, and costing $23,000, was dedicated. In 1882, a steeple 172 feet high was erected and a large bell placed in it. In 1893 an addition of 20x55 feet was erected, to provide more room for the Sunday-school which occupies the whole basement floor, and to furnish the space for the large pipe-organ, pastor's study, church council and society rooms. In 1898 a ten-room parsonage was built.
German was the language used in the services up to the last generation, which has demanded English services, both being now in use. The congregation is the largest of the Lutheran denomination in the county, outside of Reading, numbering over 1,000 members. The Sunday-school is thoroughly equipped and modern in its methods. It has a membership of 650. Other organizations of the members do work for the home church and general benevolence. This church gave the necessary $1,000 as first payment on the farm purchased for the Lutheran Orphans' Home at Topton, Pennsylvania. [ Supplied by Rev. Adam M. Weber.]
Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 21:07:50 EDT
You may not be able to visit this page because of: