Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

YODER, FREDERICK F.

p. 1485

Surnames: YODER, FISHER, HILL, SHARTLE, DAVIS, PHILLIPS, LEIB, KLINE, DIETRICH, WAGNER, BLATT, LESHER, KECK, ALTHOUSE, KALBACH, GEHART, BOHN

Frederick F. Yoder, general farmer and dairyman, residing in Bern township, was born Oct. 23, 1868 in Upper Bern Township, near Shartlesville, son of Jacob S. and Anna Maria (Fisher) Yoder.

Frederick Yoder, grandfather if Frederick F., was a native of Berks county, born in Oley, and he died in Centre township. From a tender age he was reared by his kinsman, Daniel Yoder, of near Pleasantville. His mother's name was Hill. Frederick Yoder became the owner of a farm near Belleman's Church, where he is buried, and at one time owned three farms. He was very active in church work and was a church official for many years. His wife was a member of the old Shartle family, and they had the following children: Amelia, who married Marcus Davis, both deceased; Alfred, residing in Centre township; Mary, who married Reuben Phillips; Jacob S.; Cyrus, residing in Ohio; Wellington, residing at Palmyra, Lebanon Co., Pa.; and Valeria, who married Nathaniel Leib, of West Reading.

Jacob S. Yoder, father of Frederick F., was born on his father's farm in Centre township, in 1841. He engaged in farming in Upper Bern township, later in Centre township, and he still retains two farms in the latter, one of seventy-five and the other of fifteen acres. He became interested in a canning factory at Shoemakersville, and at present is associated with James Wagner, doing business under the name of the Mohrsville Knitting Mills. He supports the Republican party, but has never been very active in politics, consenting to serve in office only as school director. He is a member of Salem United Brethren Church, of Tilden township, of which he was an official.

Jacob S. Yoder married Anna Maria Fisher, daughter of Jacob and Rebecca (Kline) Fisher, residents of Bern Station, and they have had the following children born to them: Ida m. Levi H. Dietrich, of Centre township; Annie died young; Frederick F.; Minnie m. Joseph Wagner, of Mohrsville; Calvin and William both died of scarlet fever, one week apart; Amy m. Joseph Blatt, of Mohrsville; Helen m. Berwin Lesher of Bern township; Sarah is a trained nurse; Howard resides in Shoemakersville; Robert resides in Penn township.

Frederick F. Yoder attended the schools of Upper Bern, now Tilden township, and later took a course in the Lebanon Valley College, at Annville. In 1886 he received a teacher's certificate from Prof. D. S. Keck, and for three years he taught school in Centre township. In May 1890, he made a trip to the West where he remained through one year, and then returned to Berks county. He was a private in Troop K, 7th U. S. Calvary, and was stationed at Jefferson Barracks, Mo., for a short time. From there his troop was sent for a short time to Rosebud, N. Dak., and from there to Fort Worth, Texas. A few days after the arrival the cavalry was ordered to Fort Sill, Ind. Ty., and while there Mr. Yoder witnessed a sun dance at El Mingo, participated in by 10,000 Indians. After considerable maneuvering in this section, the cavalry was sent to Fort Riley, Kansas, where it remained until Nov. 27th, when it was ordered to Pine Ridge, S. Dak. There it had a fight with the Big Foot Indians and Chief Big Foot was captured by Col. Summer of the 8th Cavalry and taken to camp. Mr. Yoder received a gun shot wound in the neck which put him into a hospital for six months and caused his final discharge from the service on account of disability. During the term of his service he was in the midst of stirring events and his reminiscences of them are exceedingly interesting.

After his return to Berks county in 1891, Mr. Yoder worked on the farm of his father. In the spring of 1893 he came to Bern township, where he purchased the old Althouse farm on eight acres, which he has carefully cultivated ever since. In 1894 he entered into the milk business, purchasing from the surrounding farmers and he has a daily route in Reading, handling 170 quarts a day.

On Feb. 28, 1893, Mr. Yoder was married to Annie Kalbach, daughter of Harrison and Sarah (Gehart) Kalbach, and granddaughter of John and Elizabeth (Bohn) Kalbach, of Hamburg. they have two children: La Rue and Wayne H.


YODER, KENSIE N. (D. D. S.)

p. 995

Surnames: YODER, BROWN, KELCHNER, RUTH, ERNST, STRUNK, BOHN, LEIB, LINSMAN, HAIN, WENRICH, HASSLER

Kensie N. Yoder, D. D. S., of Reading, was born Aug. 21, 1877, in Wernersville, Berks county, son of Jacob S. Yoder. He is a grandson of William Yoder, and great-grandson of Jacob Yoder.

Jacob Yoder was born June 27, 1792, in Oley township, this county, and there passed his early life. When a young man he learned the shoemaker's trade, which he followed in his native township until he was over thirty years old, when he moved to Lower Heidelberg township and there became the owner of thirteen acres of land. There he died Sept. 23, 1861, and he was buried at the Hain's Church, of which he was a Reformed member. He married (first) Lydia Brown, of Rockland township, and they had these children: Polly m. a Kelchner; Amos m. Elizabeth Ruth; William is mentioned below; John, who lived at Wernersville, where he followed the trade of wheelwright, was the father of Frank and grandfather of Leonard G. Yoder, both of Wernersville; James, who made his home at Adamstown, was a soldier in the Civil war and was killed in battle. The father, Jacob Yoder, m. (second) Catherine Ernst, born Dec. 8, 1800, died Jan. 11, 1875. By this union there were five children: Sarah, Kate, Daniel, Hettie and Benneville.

William Yoder, son of Jacob, lived in Heidelberg township and is buried at Hain's Church. He was a farmer, and owned valuable land, Wernersville being located on what was formerly his property. He married Susan Strunk, a sister of William Strunk, and she lived until 1908, being over sixty at the time of her death. Their children were as follows: Daniel; Lydia m. Darius Bohn; Kate, deceased, m. Aaron Leib; Jacob S.; and Sarah m. William Linsman, and died about a year later, leaving one daughter, who is now Mrs. Kate Hain.

Jacob S. Yoder, son of William, was born Jan. 5, 1847, in Wernersville, was reared a farmer, and followed farming for a number of years. Later he engaged in the timber business in his section in which he was quite successful, and he then took up lime burning at Wernersville, where he died March 29, 1909. He was an active member of the fire company of the town, and a member of Lodge no. 835, I. O. O. F., and Camp No. 99, P. O. S. of A., there. He married Jemima M. Wenrich, daughter of Adam and Eliza Wenrich, of Heidelberg, and they had two sons, Kensie N. and Frederick S., both dentists. Mr. Yoder was a member of Hain's Reformed Church, as is his son Dr. Kensie N., while his wife and Dr. Frederick S. are Lutherans.

Kensie N. Yoder spent his boyhood days at Wernersville, and there received his preparatory education in the public schools, graduating from the high school in 1894. Later he attended Palatinate College, at Myerstown, Pa., leaving in the senior year of the course, however, to become a clerk and the assistant postmaster at Wernersville, being employed in the general store of E. S. Hassler, who was postmaster. There he remained four years, at the end of which period he came to Reading and became assistant manager of the Eagle Book Store. After a year there he returned to his former employer, Mr. Hassler, at Wernersville. In 1900 he became a dental student in the Dental Department of the University of Pennsylvania, graduating in 1903, after which he opened offices at his present location, No. 512 Penn Square, Reading. He has built up a large practice and enjoys an enviable reputation, being attentive to his work and successful in acquiring and retaining patronage. He maintains a branch office at Wernersville, and is assisted by is brother, Frederick S.

Dr. Yoder's establishment is equipped with all the latest appliances necessary for his work, and he has facilities for administering all anesthetics.

Dr. Yoder is active in Masonic circles, being a member of Williamson Lodge, No. 307, F. & A. M., of Womelsdorf; Reading Chapter, No. 152, R. A. M.; and Reading Commandery, No. 42, K. T. He also belongs to Camp No. 99, P. O. S. of A., of Wernersville, of which he is a past officer, and to the Wernersville Fire Company. He is a member of the Hain's Reformed Church, with which his ancestors back to his great-grandfather have been identified and there many of the family lie buried.

Frederick S. Yoder, D. D. S., was born at Wernersville March 17, 1885, and there he spent his boyhood and obtained his early education. He graduated from the high school in 1903, and the following year registered as a student in the Dental Department of the University of Pennsylvania, graduating there from June 17, 1908. He has since been engaged in practice in partnership with his brother, Dr. Kensie N. Yoder, looking after the office at Wernersville, where both make their home. Dr. Yoder is a member of Camp No. 99, P. O. S. A., and of the Citizens Hose Company.


YODER, NATHAN R.

p. 1404

Surnames: YODER, ROHRBACH, YERGER, MOYER, RENNINGER, KEIM, BOWER, WELLER, FRAIN, YORKEY, REIDER, LANDIS, GRIESEMER, WEIDNER, HARNER, BROWN, GULDIN, ERMENTROUT, ALTHOUSE, STAUFFER, BECHTEL, DRUMHELLER

Nathan R. Yoder, of Pike township, Berks county, is a representative of a family long prominent in this part of Pennsylvania. He was born in the township in which he now lives May 3, 1848, son of Nathan Y. and Esther (Rohrbach) Yoder.

George Yoder, great-grandfather of Nathan B., was a native of Oley, where he died on his farm, which is now owned by Catharine Schaeffer. He was buried in a private burial ground on what is now the Schaeffer farm, and later was re-interred at the Oley Churches. He was a farmer all his life. He had sons: William and Abraham, and several daughters.

Abraham Yoder, son of George, was born in Oley township, Oct. 12, 1785, and died in the same township April 5, 1860, and was buried beside his wife at Hill Church. In early life he went to Mahantango Valley, in Schuylkill county, Pa. where he bought a tract of 500 acres of land (of which but three acres had been cleared), for $500. On this tract there was a log house, a log barn, and a log gristmill. In time these buildings were all replaced by Mr. Yoder, who operated the gristmill in addition to clearing enough land for a large farm. Here he lived for a time, and here some of his children were born. However, his father-in-law, Solomon Yerger, of Pike township, asked him to move upon his farm in Pike township. This Mr. Yoder did, and later became the owner of this 181-acre farm, a tract which is still in the Yoder name, and is now owned by Nathan R. Yoder, and is cultivated by his son-in-law, Morris R. Moyer. The stone house was built by Mr. Yerger in 1803.

On May 21, 1809, Mr. Yoder married Elizabeth Yerger, born April 27, 1790, died Sept. 8, 1875, daughter of Solomon and Susanna Yerger. To Mr. and Mrs. Yoder were born: Susanna m. Charles Renninger; Maricha m. Benjamin Rohrbach; Nathan Y.; Solomon, who lived in Pike township, m. Elizabeth Keim, and had children: Franklin, Manias, William, Augustus, Irwin and Elmira; Benneville, who lived in Pike township, m. Fianna Bower, and they had one child who died young; George, who also lived in Pike township, m. (first) Miss Weller, had two children---Adam and Eve---m. (second) Emeline Frain, and had children---James, George, Emma, and Amos; Abraham (1827-1895) m. Mary Yorkey, and is mentioned further on; Eliza m. Jacob Reider, and lived in Pike township; Sophia m. Nathan Landis, a merchant in Pike township; Catharine was a dwarf; and a daughter died young.

Abraham Yoder, son of Abraham and Elizabeth, was a prominent farmer of Pike township. The latter years of his life he lived retired at Pikeville. He was active in local and county politics, and was school director and auditor of his township many years, and treasurer of Berks county from 1871-1873. In 1883 he became one of the organizers of the Farmers National Bank, Boyertown, and served it as a director until his death, being succeeded on the board by his only son Ellis Y. By his wife Mary Yorgey he had children: Fietta who died young; and Ellis Y., born 1858, a miller in Pike, who m. Kate Griesemer in 1883, and has children---Amandus, Jacob, Charles, Deborah, and John.

Nathan Y. Yoder, son of Abraham and Elizabeth, was born, it is supposed, in Mahantango township, Schuylkill county, where his father owned and operated a grist mill, Jan. 1, 1816, and died Oct 2, 1892, and both he and his wife are buried at St. Pauls Church, known locally as Lobachsville Church. Nathan Yoder was a life long farmer and owned the 181-acre farm acquired from his maternal grandfather. He retired to the tract of twenty-five acres where his son Nathan R. now lives, and there he died. He was a prominent man of Pike township and was influential in public affairs. He married Esther Rohrbach, born June 10, 1815, daughter of Daniel Rohrbach. She died July 21, 1901. Their children were: Hannah, m. to Samuel Weidner; Emeline, m. to William Harner; Mathias, who died young; Catharine, who died unmarried; Esther, m. to Edwin Brown; Nathan R.; Rachel, who died young; Amelia, m. to Jeremiah Guldin; and Ida, m. to Henry Yerger.

Nathan R. Yoder obtained his education in the common schools and in Fairview Academy. at Boyertown. He was licensed to teach by Prof. James N. Ermentrout, who was an assistant to his brother then the county superintendent. He taught his first term in 1868, in Pike township, then one term in Washington township. He began farming in the spring of 1870, in Pike township on the farm now operated by Morris R. Moyer, a son-in-law. After living there thirty-one years, he came in 1901 to his present place, a farm of twenty-five acres.

Mr. Yoder is a Democrat, and was a school director and auditor for a number of years, and also served as delegate to a number of county conventions. He and his family are Lutherans, and belong to St. Pauls Union Church of Pike township. He was deacon at Hill Church before he became identified with St. Pauls.

On Feb. 1, 1867, Mr. Yoder married Emma A. Guldin, daughter of Daniel and Sarah (Althouse) Guldin, of Maiden-creek township, but later of Oley. Their children were: (1) Kate m. Milton Stauffer, and lives at Topton. (2) Guldin, a graduate of the Keystone State Normal School, Class of 1898, taught school seventeen terms, and now lives at Uwchland, Chester Co., Pa. He m. Mary, daughter of James Bechtel, and has children---Webster, Edna, Roger, and Lloyd. (3) Sallie m. Morris R. Moyer, the farmer on the homestead in Pike township, and they have---Ivy, Norman, Winnie, Minerva and Wayne. (4) Curvous G. m. Lizzie Drumheller, has a son, Chauncey, and the live at Reading. (5) Rachel is single and at home. (6) Daniel G. attended the township schools, graduated from the Perkiomen Seminary the Class of 1902, and continued his studies at Princeton University, later taking a business course at Schisslers Business College, Norristown, graduating in 1905. He taught at Mercersburg Academy one term, when he was elected the head of the Commercial Department in the Irvington high school, which position he has held since 1907. He began teaching in the local schools when he was but seventeen years old, teaching there successfully four terms. He is a member of Franklin Lodge No.10, F. & A. M.


YODER, S. HERBERT

p. 1063

Surnames: YODER, REED

S. Herbert Yoder, who is largely identified with the real estate and building interests of Reading, was born in this city in 1875, son of James E. and Rachel H.(Reed) Yoder.

James E. Yoder was a native of Churchtown, Lancaster county, and was a cabinet maker by trade, an occupation which he followed for many years in his native vicinity, also operating an undertaking establishment. He was a good business man and exemplary citizen, and had the respect and esteem of all who knew him. He died in 1896, at the age of sixty-seven years, in the faith of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Fraternally Mr. Yoder was a member of the I. O. O. F. James E. Yoder and his wife, Rachel H. (Reed), were the parents of four children, as follows: Mary R. and William R. deceased; Miss Martha; and S. Herbert. Mrs. Yoder is still living and is a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

S. Herbert Yoder was educated in the common schools of Reading, and graduated from the Reading high school in the class of 1892. For a short time thereafter he clerked in a grocery store, and then entered the employ of the National Bolt, Nut & Rivet Works, with which company he continued until its consolidation in 1898 with the American Iron & Steel Manufacturing Company. He then went to Lebanon, Pa., in the latter company's employ, and continued with them until May, 1904, when he returned to Reading, becoming manufacturer's agent for machinery, and in this capacity represented eighty lines and companies. In 1905 he discontinued this business, and engaged in a real estate and building line, in which he has continued to the present time with much success. Mr. Yoder is considered one of Reading's able young business men. In political matters he is a Republican.


YODER, SOLOMON R.

p. 1439 Surnames: YODER, ROTHERMEL, SCHMECK, HEIST, MEDLER, BORREL, RUTH, WERTZ, BECKER

Solomon R. Yoder, of No. 1352 North Tenth street, Reading, Pa., who has been an employee of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company for over twenty years, was born in 1865, in Muhlenberg township, Berks county, son of Solomon and Mary (Rothermel) Yoder.

Solomon Yoder, father of Solomon R., was a farmer all of his active life in Muhlenberg township, and his death occurred in 1891, in his sixty-third year, his wife passing away in September, 1871, when in the forty-second year of her age. They were the parents of seven children; Sarah, who married Adam Schmeck; Mary, who married Samuel Heist; Hannah; John, m. to Hannah Medler, daughter of Edward Medler; Daniel m. Susan Borrel, daughter of Daniel Borrel; Solomon R.; William m. Emma Ruth, daughter of Henry Ruth.

Solomon R. Yoder was educated in the schools of Muhlenberg township, and until twenty-two years of age worked on his father's farm. In 1887 he came to Reading and accepted a position as boilermaker with the Philadelphia & Reading Company, in whose employ he has continued to the present time. Mr. Yoder is a Democrat in politics, and fraternally he is connected with the P. O. S. of A., and the P. & R., Relief Association. On July 31, 1887, Mr. Yoder was united in marriage with Miss Ida V. Wertz, daughter of Franklin and Magdalena (Becker) Wertz, and to this union there have been born two children; Ella, who died in July, 1906, at the age of eighteen years; and Carrie, at home. Mr. Yoder is a member of the Reformed faith, while his wife is a Lutheran.


YORGEY, ALFRED B.

p. 1339

Surnames: YORGEY, BRENDLINGER, EAST, GERHART, HEFFELFINGER, ESTERLY, HOLMES, LONG, ZIMMERLY, BOWERS, DAVIDHEISER, GOTTSHALL, DENGLER, SASSAMAN, GRESH, ROSHON, REIFSNYDER, NEIMAN, BECHTEL, GEIGER, FRITZ, BAKER, RHOADS, RITTER, BRESSLER, DAVIS, HOHL, SHEARER, HECHLER, BOYER

Alfred B. Yorgey, postmaster and merchant at Wyomissing, was born in the upper section of Douglass township, Oct. 10, 1850. He received his education in the local public schools, and after assisting his father on the farm until he was eighteen years old, he entered the general store of Peter Brendlinger, at New Berlinville, where he filled the position of clerk for a year. While there he prepared himself to become a teacher, and, after receiving a certificate, taught public school for three terms, two in Douglass township and one in Pottsgrove township near Pottstown. He then learned the trade of a watchmaker under Jonathan East, at Boyertown, serving an apprenticeship of three years.

Mr. Yorgey's brother George was then carrying on a grocery store in Philadelphia, and needing his assistance, he went there to fill the position of clerk, but he remained there only a year, for in the fall of 1874 his father was elected sheriff of Berks county, and being offered the position of deputy sheriff he accepted it, and filled it for the term of three years from January, 1875 to January, 1878. He next engaged in the sale of fruit trees for three years; after which he again served as deputy sheriff of the county under Levi M. Gerhart sheriff, from 1881 to 1884. After this Mr. Yergey embarked in the jewelry business on Penn street in the vicinity of Seventh, in Reading, and he carried this business on successfully for twenty years, closing out in July, 1904, to remove to Wyomissing to carry on the grocery business in a fine store building, which he had purchased there in the Mory addition.

While in the jewelry business Mr. Yorgey purchased a grocery store at No. 738 North Sixth street, Reading, and he conducted this from 1899 to 1905, when he sold it to enable him to devote all his time to his rapidly increasing trade at Wyomissing. In July, 1904, Mr. Yorgey removed with his family to Wyomissing, and he has been engaged in the grocery business there until the present time. The post office has been established in his building, and immediately after locating in the place, he became assistant postmaster of the local office under George W. Heffelfinger, postmaster. After serving the position for two years he received the appointment of postmaster, which he has been filling satisfactorily until now in connection with the grocery business.

Mr. Yorgey was married to Laura R. Esterly, daughter of Amos S. Esterly, a prominent proprietor of well established hotels at Reading for many years, and by her he had sixteen children: Elizabeth, unmarried; Lillie May, Mrs. John C. Holmes; Annie, Mrs. James M. Long; Florence, Mrs. Morris Zimmerly; George; Leah; Rachel; John; Samuel; David; Sarah; Alfred; and four boys who died in infancy, two of whom were twins.

George R. Yorgey, father of Alfred B., was brought up on the Yorgey farm in Douglas township, which has been in the family name for upward of 125 years. He was a farmer and millwright for more than fifty years. He became very prominent as a Democratic politician of the county, serving as sheriff from 1875 to 1878; officiated as a school director and also as a supervisor of the township roads for several terms; and acted as a bank director. He died in 1896 at the advanced age of eighty-four years. He married Elizabeth Bowers of Amity township, and by her he had ten children: Malinda, who married Levi Davidheiser; Emma, who was a public school teacher for upward of ten years, and died at the age of twenty-seven; George, who married Catharine Gottshall; Alfred; Clara, who married Henry Dengler; Henry, who married Ellen Sassaman and after her decease Maggie Gresh; Oliva, who married Zephaniah Roshon; Anna, who died at the age of eighteen years; and two who died in infancy.

Jacob Yorgey, the grandfather, was a farmer of Douglass township. He married Sarah Reifsnyder, and by her had seven children: Charlotte, who married Frederick Neiman; George; Ephraim, who married Hannah Bechtel; Rachel, who married John Geiger; Christian, who married Matilda Fritz; Leah, who married Henry Baker; and Sarah, who married Henry E. Rhoads.

Mrs. Yorgey's father, Amos S. Esterly, was married to Elizabeth Ritter, daughter of David Ritter, of Exeter township, and by her he had six children. Laura R.; Mary, who married Frank F. Bressler; Francis, who married Matilda Davis; Joseph, who married Catharine Hohl; Amos, who married Susan Shearer; and Jacob Joseph Esterly, father of Amos, was a farmer and blacksmith of Exeter township, a short distance south of the Black Bear Inn. He married Lydia Snyder and by her he had ten children: Daniel, Amos S., Joseph, Augustus, Elizabeth, Rebecca, and four, who died young. He died in 1856, aged sixty-two years; and his wife died in 1882, aged eighty-four years. Daniel Esterly, Mrs. Yorgey's great-grandfather, was also a farmer and blacksmith, living on the same place as his son. He married Susanna Hechler, and by her he had eight children; Daniel, Jacob, John, George, Joseph, Jonas, Amos and Elizabeth (married to George Boyer).


YOST, ALBERT R.

p. 1102

Surnames: YOST, ROTE, MILLER, HARRISON, MOORE, HELMS

Albert R. Yost, a dealer in new and second hand furniture, stoves, etc., in Reading, Pa., was born in Columbia county, Pa., Aug. 20, 1851, son of Harmon and Elizabeth (Rote) Yost. The great-grandfather of Albert R. Yost was granted a large tract of land by William Penn, and this he divided among his children, among whom were: Philip, Conrad, John, Harmon, Rebecka, and William.

John Yost, grandfather of Albert R., was born in Columbia county, and was a farmer in that county all of his life, dying in 1859, aged eighty-four years. He married Polly Miller (of English parentage), who died in 1852, the mother of three daughters and one son.

Harmon Yost, son of John and father of Albert R., was born in Columbia county, and followed the dual occupation of carpenter and farmer. He died in 1894, when he was eighty-six years of age, his wife passing away two years later, being also aged eighty-six years. Mr. and Mrs. Yost were members of the Reformed Church, which they attended regularly and supported liberally. In politics he was a member of no particular party, voting for the candidate, irrespective of party ties.

Albert R. Yost was educated in the schools of Columbia county, and there resided until nineteen years of age when he removed to Ashland, Schuylkill county, and learned the trade of chair making, an occupation which he followed several years. He then removed to Pottsville, and later to Lancaster county, but in 1890 came to Reading, settling in the northern part of the city. In 1896 he located at his present place of business, where he has since been successfully engaged in the handling of new and secondhand furniture and stoves. Mr. Yost was married in 1874 to Clarinda S. Harrison, daughter of English parents, and she died in 1904, the mother of the following children: Clarence E. m. a Miss Moore, and has one child, Donald; Alberta C. m. Charles Helms; and Ralph is at Chicago; one child, Frank A., died when four and one-half years old. The family are members of Grace United Evangelical Church. Mr. Yost is not only a consistent member of the church himself, but for years has been active in evangelical work. He is very familiar with Holy Writ, and can apply passages of Scripture to meet almost any case.


YOST FAMILY

p. 708

Surnames: YOST, BENNINGER, BRUNNER, DIETRICH, DOTTERER, HAINES, HARTMAN, HARTZ, HEMMIG, HENKE, HIGH, HORNBERGER, JOST, KACHEL, KISSINGER, KURTZ, MATZ, PENNYPACKER, RAPP, REESER, SEIDEL, SPOHN, WAGNER, WENRICH, YOCUM

The Yost family is one of the oldest in this section of the State, and two of its members, Rufus R. and James Franklin R. Yost, are representative citizens of Spring township, Berks county.

Philip Yost, or Jost as it was then spelled, was the ancestor of this family in America. He was born in 1718 at Nassau, in western Germany, and when twenty-two years old came to America, locating in Montgomery county; Pa., where he married Veronica Dotterer, a native of Limerick township, that county. They had three sons: John, Harmon and Philip, one of the two first named being the great-great-grandfather of Rufus R. and James Franklin R. Yost. The last named of these sons, Philip, Jr., was born in Montgomery county Aug. 24, 1757, and in 1768 moved with his father to Pottsgrove township, where they purchased a tract of land which remained in the family name for more than one hundred years. When nineteen years of age Philip Yost Jr. served in General Washington's army. In 1783 he married Rosina Benninger, and they had these children: Mary Magdalena, Tobias, Jacob, Benjamin, Salome, Rosina, Herman, Jonas, Sarah and Philip. Mr. Yost died Aug. 28, 1832.

Abraham Yost, great-grandfather of Rufus R. and James F. R., came to Poplar Neck during the latter part of the eighteenth century, and here obtained a farm, which later became the property of Gen. William High, next to Ezra High, and subsequently of William P. High, the present owner.

Nicholas Yost, the grandfather of Rufus R. and James F. R, born April 15, 1787, died June 9, 1867. He was an extensive farmer, owning over five hundred acres of land in Cumru township, along the Morgantown road. He was a great marksman and frequently indulged in shooting matches, seldom failing to bear away a prize. Mr. Yost was a short but well-built man, with dark hair and a ruddy complexion, and was well known and very popular in his day. He frequently related to his grandchildren how he heard the few remaining Indians on Mount Penn and the Neversink Mountains signal to each other. On Nov. 23, 1817, Nicholas Yost married Susanna Seidel (born Sept. 29, 1798, died June 12, 1851), daughter of Philip and Elizabeth Seidel, of Robeson township, and to this union were born ten children, as follows: Mary married Samuel Hemmig; Elizabeth, twin of Mary married Washington Kissinger; Rebecca married Amos Hartman; Lydia married Moses Yocom; Susan married Jesse Matz; Amos lied (sic) at Cacoosing Creek; Benneville S. is mentioned below; Francis lived at Reading; Sarah Ann married Adam Spohn, of Spring township; Louisa married Joseph D. Hornberger.

Benneville S. Yost was born on Mifflin Island, at the Little Reading Dam, Nov. 15, 1823, and died Sept. 19, 1899. He was in the hotel business at the "Green Tree" for ten years, kept the hotel at Riverside for two years, and one at Hamburg for a similar period. For upward of thirty years he was engaged in the coal business, and the freshet of Oct. 4, 1869, caused the loss of nearly one thousand tons of his coal, which he had stacked along the banks of the Schuylkill river. During the latter years of his life Mr. Yost was a farmer, but retired, in 1879, at which time his son, Rufus R., took charge of the farm of 146 acres at Flying Hill. He was a lifelong member of Yocom's Reformed Church, where he is buried. Mr. Yost was also an old school-master, and taught pay school at Weitzeltowrn (Fritztown), in Cumru township, and also a few terms in Bern township.

The first wife of Benneville S. Yost was Christina Rapp, to whom he was married Jan. 22, 1848, at Reading, and they had these children: William H. R. died in infancy; Nicholas R. also died in infancy; Susan died unmarried; Rufus R. is mentioned below; Cyrus R. is deceased; Nicholas R. is a resident of Myerstown, Pa.; James Franklin R. is mentioned below. Benneville S. Yost married (second) Clementine Henke, of Reading, who was of German descent. There were no children born to this marriage. Rufus R. Yost was born on his grandfather Nicholas Yost's farm at the "Green Tree" in Cumru township Jan. 5, 1855, attended the district schools, and later, studied at Palatinate College for two years, leaving school when twenty years old, with a good education. He was reared to agricultural pursuits, and worked for his parents until twenty-five years old, but in 1880 began working on his own account, spending four years on his father's farm in Cumru township, located at the Flying Hill. He then lived at Myerstown, Lebanon county, for two years, after which he spent four more years at the Flying Hill, in 1890 purchasing the Richard Pennypacker farm, in Spring township, a tract of 125 acres of some of the most fertile and productive land in lower Berks county. This valuable farm is well and conveniently situated, and on it is found an inexhaustible supply of some of the best limestone in the State, which is burned by Mr. Yost. He has disposed of as much as ten thousand bushels of lime annually in connection with his farm work. Since the spring of 1907 he has rented his farm, and with his brother, James Franklin R. Yost, has engaged in building houses at Reading, Shillington, Wyomissing and Springmont. At the time he rented his farm Mr. Yost sold his live stock at public vendue, and he realized a large amount therefor, one pair of mules bringing $536, a cow $70, and his thirty head of cattle averaging $50 each. In 1879 Mr. Yost married Catherine Kurtz, daughter of Samuel and Catherine (Haines) Kurtz, and to this union have been born three daughters and one son: Christina married Webster Hartz, of Shillington, Pa.; Harry, Laura and Bessie are unmarried and reside at home. Mr. Yost and his family are members of Yocom's (Christ) Reformed Church, of Cumru township.

James Franklin R. Yost was born at the Yost homestead at the Flying Hill, Cumru township, Berks county, Sept. 9, 1864, and was educated in the public schools and at D. B. Brunner's Academy in Reading, which he left when sixteen years of age. In 1889 he commenced farming for himself on a fine tract of 152 acres in Wyomissing borough, Spring township, which he had purchased in 1887 and which he had rented for two years. From 1885 to 1889 Mr. Yost was also engaged in the milling business at Myerstown, Lebanon county, but since the latter year has engaged in farming and building. He purchased the Reeser farm of 164 acres in Sinking Spring, but this he later sold to Daniel Wenrich. Mr. Yost conducts a fine dairy, keeping about thirty Holstein and Jersey cows, and has a select trade in Reading, to which city he conducts a daily route. In addition he has good horses and mules, and his farm is operated by the latest improved machinery. In politics Mr. Yost is a Republican, and fraternally he is connected with West Reading Castle, K. G. E. With his family he attends Yocom's Reformed Church in Cumru township.

On Dec. 19, 1885, Mr. Yost married (first) Annie Catherine Kachel, daughter of Daniel and Catherine (Wagner) Kachel, and to this union were born three children: Stella A., Walter H. and Emma K. Mrs. Yost died Sept. 1, 1896, aged thirty-one years, four months, three days. On Nov. 30, 1899, Mr. Yost married (second) Clara May Dietrich, daughter of William H. Dietrich, of Reading, and to this union there have been born two children, George Washington and Lloyd Allen.


YOST, HEBER Y.

p. 1494

Surnames: YOST, BAER, REMPPIS, YOCUM

Heber Y. Yost, the general private secretary to President Baer of the Philadelphia and Reading Railway Co., is a native of Reading, coming from a family which has long been identified with Reading and Berks county.

Nicholas Yost, grandfather of Heber, was a prominent and financially able farmer of the county, and took an active part in its development.

Francis Yost, son of Nicholas, was man of affairs in the county, but has now retired. He married Emma Louisa Yocum, daughter of Daniel who in his day was one of the wealthy landowners of the county and was also engaged in manufacturing. He owned the well-known Speedwell Forge, and Yocum was named after him. He was a Director of the Farmers National Bank of Reading. Heber Y. Yost is one of three sons born to these parents. Henry N. is Assistant Bookkeeper with the Reading Iron Company, while Daniel F. is the Treasurer and General Manager of the William F. Remppis Company.

Heber Y. Yost was born in Reading. He profited by the excellent public schools of the city, finishing the course at the Boys' High School, after which he took a business course at Prof. Brunner's business college. For a year thereafter he filled the position of assistant bookkeeper in one of the box factories of the city, then, in 1888, came to his present important and exacting position as private secretary to President Baer. His long period of service speaks volumes for his efficiency.

Mr. Yost is unmarried. He satisfies his social proclivities in membership with the Reading Library and Berkshire Country Clubs, organizations of the city. He votes with the Republicans, and in his religious life affiliates with the Trinity Lutheran Church.


YOST, HENRY H.

p. 909

Surnames: YOST, BRUBAKER, POTTEIGER, STIFFEY, STITZEL, TORBERT, YOCUM

Henry H. Yost, one of the farmer residents of Sinking Spring, Spring township, Berks county, was born in Cumru township, this county, July 8, 1856, son of Amos S. and Catherine (Yocom) Yost, and grandson of Nicholas Yost.

Amos S. Yost was born in Cumru township, at Poplar Neck, in 1820, and died in 1899, aged sixty-nine years. He is interred at the Sinking Spring Church. During his useful life, he followed farming, owning two farms, and was a well-known and much respected resident of Berks county. His wife was a daughter of Nicholas Yocum, of Cumru township. Children as follows were born to Mr. and Mrs. Amos S. Yost: Rosa, who married Joel Stiffey; Emma, who married A. I. Torbert; Abraham, of Bern township; Henry H., and Rebecca, who died young.

Henry H. Yost received his education in the common schools of Spring township, and has always been engaged in farming. One of his pleasant experiences was a seven months' trip he took through the West, doing farm work in Minnesota, Illinois and Iowa, and gaining an insight into different methods and ways of conducting farms. Upon his return he purchased the old Stitzel farm of 207 acres in Lower Heidelberg township, near State Hill, which he now rents out under contract, he having in 1899 removed to Sinking Spring and built himself a pleasant home, his present residence, in that community.

Mr. Yost has always taken a deep interest in public affairs, and is a Republican in politics. He has served as school director, and is now chairman of the board which is working toward the incorporation of Sinking Spring as a borough. One of the characteristic traits of Mr. Yost is his activity, for he keeps himself fully occupied with his private affairs as well as those of the community, and is rightfully regarded as one of the representative men of Berks county.

Mr. Yost married Emma C. Pottieger, daughter of Henry Pottieger, and they have had two children: Stella married Raymond S. Brubaker, and has one child, Henry Yost Brubaker; Florence died young.

In his religious affiliations Mr. Yost is a member of St. John's Lutheran Church, and has filled all the offices in that body. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., Lodge No. 660, and has many friends in that organization, as he also has throughout a wide area, for he is a man of pleasing personality and kindly intent, and has few if any enemies.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:57:43 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.