Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery


p. 470


Aaron R. Warner, chief burgess of Mohnton, and substantial business man, was born Sept. 14, 1854, near the "Kurtz House" in Cumru township, son of Levi and Mary (Reich) Warner.

Levi Warner spent his entire life in agricultural pursuits in Cumru township, where he died at the age of sixty-seven years. He married Mary Reich, daughter of Samuel Reich, and to them were born children as follows: Catherine m. David Schlichter; Sarah m. (first) Henry Thompson, and second (Henry Myers); Mary m. Samuel Fitterling; Rebecca m. William Boyer; Franklin R. m. Agnes Marks, of Mohnton; and Aaron R.

Aaron R. Warner attended the schools of Cumru township, and at the age of eighteen years learned the hatting trade with George Hendel, being later employed with John H. Spatz, his father-in-law, with whom he continued for about fifteen years, and when the company of John H. Spatz & Co. was formed he became a partner. At the death of John H. Spatz, Mr. Warner and Isaac S. Spatz continued the company until 1901, when Mr. Warner withdrew from the firm. He has a farm in Cumru township, adjoining Mohnton, of 154 acres of land, which he purchased in 1898. In the same year he erected his handsome residence in Mohnton, one of the finest on Wyomissing avenue. In 1900 he erected the Mohnton Electric Light Plant, a brick structure of one story, and this is the means of lighting many factories and private residences of Mohnton, as well as lighting the public streets. Mr. Warner was elected chief burgess of Mohnton borough on the Republican ticket, Feb. 16, 1909, receiving 212 of the 261 votes cast.

Mr. Warner married Annie S. Spatz, daughter of John H. and Mary(Snader) Spatz, and to them have been born: Maysie; Paul S., who has Rural Free Delivery route No. 2 , from Mohnton; Clayton, attending the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy; Warren, attending school; Aaron, Jr., also attending school; and Edwin. Mr. Warren is a member of Zion's U. E. Church, being trustee and treasurer thereof, and for the past fifteen years has been a teacher in the Sunday school.


p. 1245


John Warren, a well known contractor and builder of Cumru township, Berks county, and the owner of a planing mill at Oakbrook, Pa., who has been serving as prison inspector of Berks county since 1898, was born Jan. 8, 1862, in Cumru township, son of Elias and Mary (Kleinginna) Warren.

Elias Warren, who during his life carried on farming on his thirty-five acre tract in Cumru township, near Cedar Top, was a Lutheran member of Gouglersville congregation, where he was buried. He married Mary Kleinginna, daughter of John Kleinginna, and to them were born two sons and two daughters: Emma m. David Mohn; Thomas m. Sarah Fritz; Sallie m. Adam Lutz, and John.

John Warren was educated in the township schools, which he attended until seventeen years of age, and then learned the carpenter trade with Samuel Hornberger. After working at his trade as journeyman for some years, Mr. Warren engaged in the contracting and building business for himself. Up to the present time he has built twenty-three houses in Mohnton; fourteen at Shillington; six at St. Louis, Mo.; four at Wyomissing; and twenty-nine at Oakbrook, as well as other buildings throughout the county. He owns his own planing mill at Oakbrook, where is installed an invention of his own, --a combination wood-working machine, combining fourteen different machines, which was patented Aug. 8, 1905. Politically Mr. Warren is a Democrat, and he has been active in the ranks of the party for some years, being elected prison inspector in the fall of 1898, since which time he has been twice re-elected. He has served on the supply and building committees, and has done much towards improving conditions in the penal institutions of Berks county. Mr. Warren is a great traveler, and has visited nearly every point of interest in this country and Canada. He is an enterprising and successful business man, and as a public official he has proved equally capable.


p. 1052


In the death of George W. Wartman, at Reading in 1901, the city lost one of its good citizens and highly esteemed residents. Mr. Wartman, who will be remembered as an efficient special officer of the Philadelphia & Reading Company, was born in Reading in 1854, the son of Jonathan and Judith (Beaver) Wartman.

Jonathan Wartman was in early life engaged in the hotel business on North Fifth street, near the present stand of the "Farmers' Hotel," but later he engaged with Conrad Frame, Sr., in the coal business, and was so employed when stricken, and was disabled for nine years before his death. He married Judith Beaver, and to them were born five children: Alfred; Henry; George W.; Elmira (m. Andrew Sleath) and Jennie (m. Charles Maurer). In religious belief the family were Lutherans. Mr. Wartman was a Democrat.

George W. Wartman was educated in the schools of Reading, and when young engaged at blacksmithing, at which he served an apprenticeship. After following this for many years, he was appointed a police officer under James K. Getz, and served about one term, when he resigned to accept the position of special officer with the Philadelphia & Reading company, continuing in that position until his death. His experiences were many while serving in his official capacity, and he was on one occasion shot in the leg by a tramp, the bullet breaking the bone. Mr. Wartman was very popular with all who knew him, and he was held in the highest esteem by his employers. He was a member of the Order of Good Fellows and the Protestant Association.

In 1880 Mr. Wartman married Mary A. Frill, daughter of John and Mary (Stroebecker) Frill. Mrs. Waterman, who survives her husband, attends the Lutheran Church.


p. 1199


Lewis M. Wartman, who conducts a cigar and tobacco business at Boyertown, is interested in other enterprises here, and owns two valuable and productive farms. He was born March 30, 1842, in New Hanover township, Montgomery Co., Pa., son of Israel and Anna Margaret (Geiger) Wartman.

Israel Wartman was born Aug. 15, 1795, in Douglass township, Montgomery county, and died Oct. 29, 1879, in the seventy-fifth year of his age. He was a saddler by trade and also understood the carpenter trade and later in life he became a farmer and cultivated his tract of fifteen acres in New Hanover township, where his death occurred. He was buried in the Wartman family lot at Boyertown. He was a man of exemplary life, and was a member of the Lutheran Church. He married Anna Margaret Geiger, daughter of Dieter and Elizabeth (Rhoads) Geiger, of New Hanover township. They had the following children: Caroline, who died unmarried; Almon, who lives in Chester county; Abraham, who resides at Reading; Julia Ann, who lives at Boyertown; and Lewis M., who resides in his own residence on Philadelphia avenue, Boyertown.

Lewis M. Wartman attended the public schools in the district where he was born and later was a student at Frederick Institute, in Montgomery county, and was subsequently licensed to teach by Prof. Robert Cruikshank. In the fall of 1860 he taught his first term, in New Hanover township, and in all, taught twelve terms, all in the same locality except one term at Boyertown. He then accepted the position of warehouseman for the Philadelphia & Reading R. R. and after one year's service, was promoted to be station agent at Byers, on the Pickering Valley branch of the Reading system. There he remained for two and one-half years, and then had his second promotion, being sent to the more important point, Womelsdorf, where he was continued from 1874 until January 1879, when he became agent at Boyertown, and remained in that office until he retired from railroad work, Feb. 6, 1902.

Mr. Wartman then entered the Koons cigar-box factory and continued there and was also engaged in superintending his farms, until 1908, when he bought out J. W. Bauman, dealer in cigars and tobacco, at Boyertown. He is interested also in the Union Manufacturing Company. One of his farms, a tract of forty-five acres, is situated in Colebrookdale township, Berks county, and the other containing ninety acres, lies in Douglass township, Montgomery county. He is numbered with the substantial as well as representative citizens of this borough.

In 1870, Mr. Wartman, was married to Susan B. Scheetz, daughter of David K. and Mary (Bower) Scheetz, of Amity township, Berks co., Pa. They have one daughter, Maggie May, who married Charles H. Sassaman, who has a fine art store in Philadelphia. Mr. Sassaman is a son of Jacob H. Sassaman, formerly sheriff of Berks county.

In his political views, Mr. Wartman has always been a Democrat and a willing worker for his party. For fifteen consecutive years he served as a school director at Boyertown and rendered the borough valuable services in the interest of advanced education. For one term he served as a justice of the peace, and since the spring of 1908, has been assessor of the borough.


p. 836


Daniel Lewis Wartzenluft, a well-known resident of Kutztown, Pa., who carries on an extensive shoe business, was born Nov. 15, 1850, in Perry township, Berks County, son of David and Rebecca (Rothermel) Wartzenluft.

Doctor Wartzenluft, the progenitor of this family in America, came from Germany about the middle of the eighteenth century and lived in Ruscombmanor township, near Fleetwood, in which vicinity he practised medicine. His first wife was killed by the Indians, who visited the Wartzenluft house when she was alone, the Doctor finding her body in the yard on his return from a visit to some patients. He followed the trail of the Indians for several days, but finally lost all trace of them and had to give up. The Doctor married again, and by the second union there were three children: Daniel, grandfather of Daniel L.; Mrs. Clauser, and Mrs. Koller. Dr. Wartzenluft died ripe in years, and his remains were interred in the vicinity of Fleetwood.

Daniel Wartzenluft was born near Fleetwood, in Ruscombmanor township, Jan. 21, 1785, and died Jan. 21, 1858. He is buried in a private burial ground on the farm that he purchased in 1833, when he removed from Ruscombmanor to Windsor township, the part which is now Perry. He was a farmer all of his life, and he also operated a grist mill now owned by Cleophas Dreibelbis, one mile east of Shoemakersville. On Oct. 9, 1808, he married Catherine Delp, born Dec. 28, 1788, who died aged seventy-three years, two months, sixteen days. They had eight sons and two daughters: Ann, Daniel, Esther, William, Joel, David, Reuben, Enoch, Jacob and Harry.

David Wartzenluft, father of Daniel Lewis, was born June 14, 1821, in Ruscombmanor township, Berks County. In youth he attended pay school a month or two in the year, for a few years only. He spent all his life upon the farm and owned one of the old homesteads in Perry township, now tenanted by his son David. On April 3, 1845, he married Susanna Rothermel, who died in December, 1845, aged twenty-eight years, twenty-nine days. He m. (second) June 20, 1847, Rebecca Rothermel, sister of his first wife. They were the daughters of Jacob and granddaughters of Paul, who was a son of Johannes Rothermel, born in 1688, in Wachbach, Germany, and died in 1730, while on the voyage to the New World. To Mr. Wartzenluft's second marriage were born: Catherine Anna, who died in 1878, in her thirty-first year, was the wife of Cleophas Dreibelbis, who now owns the original Wartzenluft homestead; Sarah Anna m. Isaac Schappell; Daniel Lewis; Jacob m. a Miss Fritz and resides in Iola, Kans.; Miss Mary Ann Louise cared for her aged father; and David E., m. Mary Merkel. David Wartzenluft, the father, died Dec. 22, 1907, aged eighty-six years, and was buried at Zion's Church.

Daniel Lewis Wartzenluft spent his boyhood days on his father's farm and obtained his early education in the public schools of his native township, later attending school at Collegeville, Montgomery county, and also the institution he was graduated in 1879. He then taught school for fourteen terms in the following districts: Perry, Richmond, Windsor, Maxatawny, Longswamp and the borough of Kutztown.

In the fall of 1882, Mr. Wartzenluft engaged in the shoe, hat and findings business on main street, Kutztown, and since that time has built up a large reputation for honest dealing. He has won the confidence and patronage of the community and his business ability enables him to give his customers the best goods for the least money. He carries a fine, full, up-to-date stock of first class goods, and is deserving of the trade of his locality. Mr. Wartzenluft is a Democrat in his political views and has served as school director of Kutztown for six years, and as a delegate to a number of county conventions. In his religious belief he is a Lutheran, and he and his family worship at St. John's Church of Kutztown, of which he was deacon and trustee. He has been a member of the Consistory for twelve years.

On Jan. 1, 1875, Daniel Lewis Wartzenluft was married to Susan S. Dunkel, daughter of David and Catharine (Lesher) Dunkel, who were the parents of the following children: Samuel (m. Mary Loose); Hettie (m. Noah Kroninger); Susan (m. Mr. Wartzenluft); Lizzie (unmarried); and Isaac (m. Ida Welsh). Mr. and Mrs. Wartzenluft make their residence in Kutztown, and are highly respected in their community.


p. 1403


Harry Bechtel Weand, of Reading, is at present engaged as Secretary and Treasurer for the Reading (Fire) Underwriters Association. He is a son of Edward D. and Valeria Coller (nee Bechtel) Weand, the former of whom, a native or Reading, where he was a salesman for a leading house for twenty-five years, died Sept. 8, 1905, aged fifty-four years. Mrs. Weand was a daughter of Francis K. Bechtel, who for many years served the county of Berks in various capacities. Our subject has one sister, Alice Nordwald, the wife of John Yocum, of the Consolidated Knitting & Spinning Mills.

Harry Bechtel Weand was born in Reading, December 27, 1885. And received his education in the public schools. Graduating from the high school in 1903, he began his business career as a reporter for the Reading Herald, from which paper he went to the Reading Telegram. In November 1903, he gave up newspaper work, and became identified with the Reading Underwriters Association, as assistant to the Secretary. He remained in this position until September, 1905, when he was appointed Secretary to fill the position made vacant by the resignation of his superior. He was also made District Secretary and Inspector for the Underwriters Association of the Middle Department (Philadelphia), with offices in the Baer Building, Reading.

Mr. Weand, since his graduation, has taken an active part in the affairs of the Alumni Association of the Reading High Schools, having served as its President for one term. He has also served on various committees, and is at this writing, fulfilling the office of Treasurer. He is a member of the National Fire Protection Association, the Kappa Sigma Society of the Class of 1903, R. H. S., Trinity Lutheran Church, and the Luther League. In politics he is a Republican.


p. 1677

Surnames: WEAND

O. M. Weand, a contractor, in Reading, Pa., was born April 2, 1858.


p. 751


Harvey K. Weasner, one of the thrifty young farmers of Douglass township, Berks county, was born there Aug. 1, 1869.

The name of this family has been variously spelled, and the first to bring his family into Douglass township, Berks county, from the earlier Pennsylvania home in Chester county was John Weisner, who was born there Sept. 14, 1774, and died in Douglass township, on a farm (now the property of Charles Brintzenhoff) which he had purchased but four months before, Aug. 1, 1825. He is buried in the old cemetery near the Reformed Church. He was twice married. His first wife died in Chester county. To that union there were six children: Polly m. Samuel Acker, of Cedar Hollow; Catharine (Walter); Betzy (Beidler); John lived in Chester county, as did also Lewis; and Jacob. John Weisner married (second) a woman from Lower Berks county, Catharine Kuetz, daughter of Conrad Kuetz, and to this union were born five children: Israel; Conrad; William, 1825-1848; Susan (Shanely); and Mrs. Weaver. At the side of John Weisner is buried one "Ludwig Weisner, born Feb. 29, 1808, died Oct. 25, 1829, in the 22d year of age"--probably another son.

Jacob Weasner, son of John, lived in Douglass township, and there owned the farm of seventy-five acres now owned by a member of the Schmeck family. He was born in Chester county in June, 1801, and accompanied his father to Berks county. By trade he was a blacksmith and had a smithy above Worman in Earl township, where he worked for seven years. Some time before 1839 he located on his farm, and there he died in April, 1866, and was buried at Boyertown. He married Mary Romich, daughter of John Romich. She was born in 1801, and died in 1868, and is buried at Boyertown. They had six children: Sarah, m. to John Davidheiser; Harriet, m. to John Eagle; Jacob, unmarried; John R.; Mary, m. to Isaac Eagle; and Eli, m. to Susan Albright, and a resident of Boyertown.

John R. Weasner, son of Jacob and Mary, was born in Douglass township, Sept. 14, 1839, on the old Weasner homestead. He was a farmer from 1867 until his retirement, when he was succeeded by his son. He built the present frame dwelling on his farm in 1880. Since 1904 he has lived in a nice home at Gilbertsville, and besides his farm and residence, he owns property in Boyertown. He has always been industrious and frugal, and owes his present comfortable circumstances to his good management. He and his family are Lutheran members of the Boyertown Church. In 1866 he married Lovina Kepner, born in 1839, daughter of William Kepner, of Montgomery county. They have one son, Harvey K.

Harvey K. Weasner received the educational advantages of the common schools and from his boyhood assisted on the home farm. In the spring of 1896 he began on his father's farm, where he has since continued. He has an excellent outfit of farm implements and up-to-date machinery--all that he could possibly use in the cultivation of his ninety-five acre tract. His farm is located in the center part of the township, in the Mauger school district. Everything about the place indicates the care and thrift of the owner. Mr. Weasner has taken a keen interest in public affairs as a Democrat, and for three years was supervisor in the development and progress of the public schools. He and his family are members of the Lutheran congregation of the Boyertown church.

In 1895 Mr. Weasner married Mary Weller, daughter of William and Hettie (Fraunheiser) Weller, and they have one son, Lawrence W.


p. 965


Henry G. Weaver, a well-known resident of Morgantown, Caernarvon township, Berks Co., Pa., where he is engaged in an undertaking and furniture business, was born Nov. 2, 1849, near Lititz, Lancaster county, son of Moses and Elizabeth (Grube) Weaver.

The ancestors of Henry G. Weaver came from Zurich, Switzerland, in 1709, being sent therefrom by Queen Anne, and settled in New Amsterdam, now the city of New York. In 1717 four brothers, John, Henry, Samuel and Jacob Weber (as the name was then spelled), located in Tulpehocken township, Berks county, and there remained one year. In 1718 three of these brothers removed to Lancaster county and took up property now known as Weaverland, where they died and were buried. One of these brothers is supposed to have been the grandfather of Henry G. Weaver's great-grandfather, who according to tradition was Christian Weber, born Dec. 25, 1731, in Lancaster county, and married Sept. 30, 1749, to Magdalena Ruth. To this union there were born eight sons and nine daughters, and from seven sons and five daughters there were born 99 grandchildren, 188 great-grandchildren and five great-great-grandchildren, all born during Christian Weber's natural life. The majority of this vast progeny attended his funeral, his death occurring Feb. 13, 1820.

Heinrich Weber, a son of Christian, moved into Cumru township (now Brecknock), Berks county, from Weaverland, Lancaster county, in 1784. He purchased a farm of 225 acres, which he cultivated all of his life, and in 1811 he built a barn upon this property, which is still standing. He married Miss Maria Huber, who bore him four sons and two daughters, namely: Samuel settled in Ohio; Henry, born July 7, 1794, died Jan. 16, 1873, married (first) Anna Bowman and (second) Veronica Gehman; Jonathan settled in Weaverland; Christian settled in Dauphin county, Pa.; Anna died single; and Mary married Peter Good.

Henry Weber, son of Heinrich, was a lifelong farmer in the Allegheny Valley, Brecknock township. He was a strict Mennonite, and an elder in his church. By his marriage to Anna Bowman, he had children: Lydia died young; Mary, born July 3, 1818, died Dec. 27, 1893; Soloman, born June 12, 1819, died Aug. 12, 1892; and Leah, born June 14, 1820, died June 26, 1820. He married (second) Veronica Gehman, born Sept. 4, 1805, died Dec. 12, 1894, the mother of seven children, as follows: Anna, born March 15, 1829, died June 7, 1829; Barbara, born June 7, 1830, died Aug. 24, 1830; Elizabeth, born Sept. 5, 1831, died Oct. 3, 1838; Israel, born July 10, 1834, died March 26, 1836; Sara, born Nov. 19, 1837, died Sept. 9, 1838; Veronica, born Nov. 3, 1839, married John Musser, a retired farmer of near Bowmansville, Lancaster county; and Henry G.

Henry G. Weber, son of Henry, was born Jan. 25, 1842, and has spent his life in agricultural pursuits, being now the owner of the old home farm.

He is a strict Mennonite in his religious belief. In 1863 he married Elizabeth Mosser, born Oct. 23, 1843, daughter of Jacob and Nancy (Bowman) Mosser, and ten children have been born to this union, as follows: Jacob, born Dec. 17, 1864, a farmer of Lancaster county, m. Hettie Ann Good; John, born March 27, 186-, and conducting the homestead, m. Lizzie Gehman; Noah, born Aug. 13, 1869, a farmer of near Adamstown, m. Hettie Gehman; Fannie, born Dec. 1, 1870, lives at home; Samuel, born May 2, 1872, a farmer of Lancaster county, m. Annie Bowman; Henry, Jr., born Oct. 23, 1873, a farmer near Goodville, Pa., m. Annie Good; Solomon, born May 2, 1875, a farmer near Bowmansville, m. Mary Good; Joseph, born Nov. 18, 1876, a farmer near Bowmansville, is married to Mary Hirsh; Aaron, born May 20, 1880, who is single, lives at home; Annie, born Nov. 11, 1883, is married to Henry Gehman, son of Abram Gehman. The Webers are an old Mennonite family, and many of them rest from their labors at the Allegheny Meeting House. Henry Weber (1794-1873) was a member of the building committee which erected the Allegheny Meeting House in the spring of 1855, and the ground upon which it stands was donated by Solomon Weber. The first minister was Rev. Christian Gehman, who preached the Word for about forty years, he being succeeded by Rev. Samuel Good, who continued here for a like period. At this time interest in the church began to decline, and Bishop Jacob Moseman, a native of Germany, was sent to the pastorate, he soon reviving the religious fervor. He was buried at the Gehman private burying ground, near the Gehman Meeting House close to Adamstown. Peter Musser succeeded Bishop Moseman, and he in turn was succeeded by Rev. Benjamin Horning, who was followed by Rev. Abram Gehman, the present pastors being Rev. Henry Good and his associates, Rev. Abram Gehman and Rev. Noah Bowman.

The grandfather of Henry G. Weaver, of Morgantown, was Daniel Weber, who was born in 1780, and died in 1860, after spending his life in Cumberland county. He married a Miss Buckwalter, who died in 1815, and among their children was a son, Moses, the father of Henry G. Moses Weaver was born near Manheim, Lancaster Co., Pa., March 4, 1813, and died Jan. 5, 1895. He married Elizabeth Grube, born in February, 1814, who died in July, 1891, and was buried at Weaverland.

When still a boy Henry G. Weaver removed with his parents to the eastern part of Lancaster county, and in 1872 he went to Honey Brook, Chester county, where he learned the cabinet maker's trade. In 1874 he located in Morgantown, and here he established the business in which he is now engaged, and which he has carried on very successfully ever since.

On Sept. 26, 1872, Mr. Weaver was married to Sarah Ellen Spotts, born April 18, 1854, in Chester county, who died at Morgantown, March 15, 1905, and was buried in the Caernarvon cemetery. Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Weaver, as follows: Mary F., born Nov. 4, 1873, is a trained nurse; Laura M., born June 27, 1875, is also a trained nurse; Walter, born Aug. 1, 1878, is living with his father at Morgantown; Alice K., born Jan. 2, 1881, married in June, 1907, Morton Edwards, and lived in Morgantown; William C., born Jan. 29, 1885, is a student at the State College; and Katie, born Aug. 6, 1892, lives with her father at Morgantown. Mr. Weaver is a stanch Republican, and has filled the offices of auditor and judge of election. He is a member of the Lutheran Church, and his family of the Morgantown Methodist Church. He has been an industrious, progressive man, and has done much toward advancing the interests of Morgantown, where he has built three houses, in one of which he lives, the others being sold.


p. 1335


William Weaver, of Reading, was born Sept. 17, 1835, son of William and Diana (Foust) Weaver, and grandson of Peter Weaver, who was the emigrant ancestor of this branch of the family in America.

Peter Weaver, on coming to this country, was one of the pioneer settlers of Montgomery Co., Pa., and engaged at his trade of sugar refiner. He married and had a family of several children, among them William. William Weaver was but seven years of age at the time of his father's death, and he was at once bound out to General Sheetz, who owned a paper mill in White Marsh township, Montgomery county. He remained with this gentleman until he was twenty-two years of age, and, having acquired a good knowledge of paper-making in all of its branches, came to Berks county and hired out to Charles Van Reed, who owned a paper mill at the junction of Tulpehocken and Cacoosing creeks. Here Mr. Weaver worked for a period of thirty-three years; in the spring of 1844 he moved to Pennypack, and was employed in Joseph McDowell's paper mill. He later removed to Trenton, N. J., returning to Reading in the fall of 1845 and re-entering the employ of Charles Van Reed, accepting the position of "boss" paper maker. Here he bleached the first engine of rag pulp in Berks county, and this caused much jealousy among rival paper makers, who did not fancy "Bill Weaver's advanced ideas in paper-making." He was possessed of more than an ordinary education, and taught school for one or two seasons. He was also an expert salesman.

Mr. Weaver remained at the Van Reed mill until 1853, and in that year rented a mill at Stony Creek, where he engaged in the manufacture of paper on percentage until 1857. In this year he located at the Cacoosing, renting a mill and manufacturing on his own account until 1862, when he removed to Yoder's mill, near Pleasantville, continuing in a like manner there until 1865. In this year, Mr. Weaver went to Venango county, prospecting for oil, but not being successful returned to his old business, which however he did not carry on long. His son, William, had engaged in the paper stock and junk business with Mr. Becker, of Manheim, and the latter gentleman engaged Mr. William Weaver, Sr., to look after his interests. When the concern of Weaver & Becker wound up its affairs, William Weaver, Sr., started a like business on North Fourth street, operating on his own account, until his death in 1890, at the age of eighty years. His wife passed away in 1854, aged forty-two years, the mother of five children: Sarah m. William Bower; William; Mary Ann, m. Peter Y. Aldeman; Rebecca, and Emma J., died in infancy. Mr. Weaver attended the Universalist Church. In politics he was a lifelong Democrat. William Weaver, Jr., was born in Heidelberg township, Berks county, where his early education was received, also in the common schools of Bern and Spring townships. He learned the trade of paper making from his father, and this he followed for a period of twenty-one years, when he engaged in the paper stock and junk business. Closing this out in 1877, he engaged in the hotel business, continuing therein until 1879, when he sold out and accepted a position with Nolan Bros., contractors, and later with Hawman, Yarnell & Rowe, who were engaged in the same line of business. Here he continued for four years, when, in company with William Fisher, he commenced to do contracting and building, and in this line became very successful, building many of Reading's substantial business blocks and residences. He continued thus occupied until 1888, when he again engaged in the paper stock and junk business with his son, William H., and in this continued until the latter's death Dec. 29, 1896. After settling his son's estate he purchased the remaining interest and has since conducted it alone.

In 1863 Mr. Weaver was united in marriage with Sarah A. Derr, and to this union was born one son: William H., who died Dec. 29, 1896, leaving a widow, Ruth Bowman, and son, William H. Jr., a machinist who married Gertie Baum and has one child. Mr. William Weaver is a member of the Presbyterian Church. In his political views he is an unswerving Democrat. Mrs. Weaver, who passed away April 3, 1904, aged sixty-four years, ten months, was one of the consistent members of the Lutheran Church.


p. 817


William Bowman Weaver, undertaker at Philadelphia for nearly thirty years, was born in that city Feb. 13, 1855 (son of Girard William Weaver), and educated in the local schools and at Boyertown until he became sixteen years of age, when he was apprenticed to the trade of carpenter and continued learning this trade for three years; but not liking this employment he entered a store and served as a salesman for two years. He then secured a position under John A. Frank, undertaker, and after assisting him for four years embarked in the business for himself, at No. 550 North Fifth street, Philadelphia. This was in 1880, and he has continued actively engaged until the present time at the same place. He was married to Ellen Henderson, daughter of Thomas Henderson and Elizabeth Weiser, his wife, of Philadelphia, and they have a daughter, Adelaide.

His grandfather was William Wayman Weaver, born in Oley, Berks county, in 1794, and brought up at the Salford forges, which his father was then operating. In 1828 he established a foundry at Colebrookdale, near Boyertown, which he carried on until 1863, when he was succeeded by his son Girard and son-in-law Samuel Weidner. He was married in 1821 to Caroline Bleyler, of Philadelphia, and they had nine children, among them Charles Bleyler and Girard William. He died in 1875, and his wife in 1869. He was enlisted in the was of 1812-15.

Mr. Weaver's great-grandfather was Jonas Weaver, who was born in 1767, on the Yoder homestead in Oley (adjoining Pleasantville). He located at Allentown about 1800 and taught school until 1808, when he went to the Salford forges, near Sumneytown, in Montgomery county, and operated the plant for a number of years, after which he returned to Allentown and lived in retirement until his decease, in 1858. He was married in 1792 to Mary Wayman, of Pike township, and they had thirteen children, the second having been William, previously named.


p. 1137


William Wilson Webber, a prominent coal dealer at Sinking Spring for twenty years, was born at Wernersville, in Berks county, June 24, 1869, son of George M. and Valeria Ruth (Gaul) Webber. While he was a boy his father removed to Sinking Spring, and he received his education in the public schools, and also in Prof. Oberlin's Charter Oak Academy of that place. After engaging in teaching public schools for two terms in Spring township, 1885 and 1886, he assisted his father in the coal business for two years, and then, when but eighteen years old, took a county license to carry on the general business of dealing in coal, lumber, flour and feed for himself, his father directing his attention to the wholesale lumber trade. He continued alone in the business until 1892, when he formed a co-partnership with David G. Miller, and they carried it on until 1894 under the name of Webber & Miller. He then purchased Mr. Miller's interest, and has since carried it on by himself in a very successful manner.

In 1906 Mr. Webber assisted in establishing a national bank at Wernersville, becoming one of its directors and serving since as secretary of the board. In social matters he assisted in organizing lodges of the Sons of America, Knights of the Golden Eagle and Odd Fellows, at Sinking Spring; and he is affiliated with the Free Masons, Knights Templars and Mystic Shrine at Reading.

Mr. Webber married Catharine Hoffman, daughter of Dr. C. N. Hoffman, of Sinking Spring, and by her he has two boys, Harold and Christian. George M. Webber was born at Rehrersburg, Berks county, in 1837, and there received his early education in the public schools. While studying for the ministry at the Pennsylvania College he became ill and this prevented his graduating. Upon his return home he directed his attention to teaching public school, and he taught several terms in the Northeastern section of Berks county. While teaching he was married to Miss Haas. He then located at Wernersville, and carried on the business of dealing in coal, lumber, grain, flour and feed. His wife dying, he married Miss Valeria Ruth Gaul, daughter of Benjamin and Anna (Ruth) Gaul, of Heidelberg township. After remaining at Wernersville for several years, he located at Sinking Spring in 1877, and established himself in the same business which he carried on until 1887, when he was succeeded by his son. He died in 1891, leaving his wife and three children, William W., Jennie, and Bessie (m. to Elmer W. Deck).

Samuel Webber, father of George M., was a farmer of Tulpehocken township. He married a Miss Miller, and they had nine children: Frank; Willoughby; Paul, unmarried; Albert, m. to Elleanora Gerhart; George M.; Lewis; Samuel; Kate, m. to Daniel Emrich; and Elizabeth, unmarried.


p. 1557


Albert S. Weber, of Reading, brother of Rudolph S., is carrying on a successful line of trade as a tobacconist at No. 29 S. Fifth street, Reading. He was born in this city May 11, 1859, a son of Frederick and Elizabeth (Springman) Weber.

Albert S. Weber was educated in the public schools of Reading and when he laid his books aside he learned the wood-working trade in the Reading Railroad Company shops and was in the employ of that company for eight years. Then he went to Philadelphia and for seven years he traveled for different tobacco houses selling cigars, after which he returned to Reading and was a cigar salesman for three and one-half years. In January, 1901, he opened a cigar store of his own at No. 448 Penn street, where he remained until "The Fashion" took that site and he removed to No. 29 S. Fifth street, where he has built up a fine trade, and custom from all over the city seeks his goods. He has made a thorough study of the business and has had a long experience, the quality of his brands, combined with courteous treatment and fair dealing, having brought deserved success. He is a stalwart Democrat and is active in party affairs. He belongs to the Lutheran Church. He provides amply for the support of his widowed mother. After his father's death, he erected a handsome monument to his honor in the Charles Evans cemetery.


p. 1635


Harry C. Weber, who is a member of the Select Council from the Tenth ward of the city, was born in Reading, June 15, 1867, son of Julius and Anna (Kretz) Weber, the former a native of Switzerland and the latter of France.

Julius Weber, Sr., born May 11, 1826, in Zurich, Switzerland, came to America in 1847 and settled first in New York City, where he remained some years, being interested in the manufacture of wash-boards, which later he introduced in the city of Zurich, Switzerland. Returning to America, Mr. Weber located in Philadelphia, where he opened a gymnasium, but later came to Reading, where he engaged as the pioneer badge manufacturer, his business becoming the largest of its kind in this section of the State. He also opened a gymnasium at his home at Perkiomen and Chestnut streets, there teaching such men as Judge Ermentrout, Judge Endlich, the Eckerts and other of Reading's leading citizens. Mr. Weber was a powerfully built man and a wonderful athlete. His death occurred Aug. 4, 1896, in his seventy-first year, his wife, Anna Kretz Weber, born Dec. 25, 1836, in Rochefort, France, passed away May 29, 1905, aged sixty-eight years. They were the parents of fifteen children, and of these seven still survive: Herman G.; Walter S.; Harry C.; James A.; Daniel; Hattie and Maud. In religious belief Mr. Weber was connected with the Reformed Church, while his wife was a Catholic. He was fraternally connected with Harmonie Maennerchor, and was also a member of Keim Post No. 76, G. A. R., being a veteran of the Civil war. In politics Mr. Weber was a Democrat.

General Shangranun, whose portrait may be found in the capitol at Washington, D. C., was an uncle of Mrs. Anna (Kretz) Weber. Her brother Charles Kretz was one of the pioneer hat manufacturers of the county, and another brother, Major Herman Kretz, was superintendent of the United States mint at Philadelphia; he was appointed May 7, 1895, by President Cleveland who was a warm personal friend. Major Kretz also served as chief clerk of the United States treasury department. At one time he was cashier and paymaster of the Texas and Pacific Railroad. The ancestors of Mrs. Weber enjoyed the friendship of the first Napoleon.

Harry C. Weber was educated in the high schools of Reading, and afterward entered the badge works of his father. Later he went to New York, Boston and Philadelphia, learning steel plate and copper printing, hot press work, stamping and embossing, and, returning to Reading, engaged in work at the plant, where he has continued to the present time. The three brothers, Harry C., James A. and Daniel, conduct the business as the Reading Ribbon and Badge Company.

Mr. Weber is a magician of some note and has entertained many large audiences in the Eastern States, being a great personal friend of Kellar, as he was of Hermann the Great. He is a member of the American Magicians of New York City, the Knights of Friendship, Consultory No. 3, and the Sons of Veterans. He is very popular throughout the city and is one of Reading's best citizens. Mr. Weber is a Democrat in political matters, and in 1905 was elected to complete the unexpired term of Edward Taenzer of the Tenth ward, in the select council, being elected in 1906 for a term of four years, his popularity being shown by his majority, 365, the largest in the history of the ward. He takes an active part in the interests of his constituents, and makes a capable official. He is the owner of considerable property in the city.


p. 1673


Herman G. Weber, a hat finisher of the city of Reading, who is also a partner in the Weber Badge Company, was born in New York City in 1857. He attended the Reading schools, and after leaving them received employment in the rolling mills. Later he engaged in box making in the establishment of his father, and afterward entered Hendel's hat factory, learning the trade with Dan Hendel, son of John Hendel. After eight years with that company he accepted a position with C. F. Kessler, where he has been employed to the present time, covering a period of over twenty-five years.

In 1876 Mr. Weber was married to Molly A. Rorke, daughter of John Rorke, and they reside in one of the modern residences in their section of the city. This home has attracted the attention of the public and also of the press, the Reading Eagle having published an interesting article regarding it, for Mr. Weber has spared neither time nor expense in making his residence beautiful with artistic decoration and comfortable with every convenience. Mr. Butler, who did the painting and decorating, is a friend of the family and makes his home with the Webers, and has displayed taste and skill in his work in the Weber home.


p. 577


Paul Weber, the well known taxidermist, whose place of business is located at No. 161 Buttonwood street, Reading, Pa., was born in Saxony, Germany, April 16, 1861, son of Carl and Anistina (Wolf) Weber.

Carl Weber came to America prior to 1880. He had followed the trade of a weaver in his native country, but locating in Philadelphia he engaged in butchering, continuing in that line until his retirement. He and his wife now live in Philadelphia, where all of their twelve children, with the exception of Paul of Reading, also reside.

Paul Weber received his literary training in the schools of Germany, and while yet a boy studied the art of preserving and mounting birds and animals under Professor Bessler, graduating in the art of taxidermy. On coming to America he located for a time in Philadelphia, whence he went a short time later to Blackwood, N. J., where he remained about two years, and at the end of that time returned to Philadelphia, establishing himself in business. Here he remained until 1903, when he located in Reading. Mr. Weber is an artist in his line, and it has been said of him that he can mount any animal, "from a mouse to an elephant." Specimens of his wonderful work may be seen in nearly every State in the Union. He mounted a beautiful specimen for President Roosevelt's library, and has done work for Senator Penrose, George F. Baer and others.

Mr. Weber was married in 1889, to Helen Helt, a native of Saxony, Germany, and three children have blessed this union: Charles (deceased), Paul J. and Helen. In religious belief Mr. Weber and his wife are members of the Lutheran Church. In his political views his is independent of party affiliations.


p. 1556


Rudolph S. Weber, who is a prosperous business man at Reading, conducting a first-class barber shop at No. 30 S. Fifth St., was born July 2, 1866, in this city, a son of Frederick and Elizabeth (Springman) Weber.

Wilhelm Weber, grandfather of Rudolph S., started for America in 1852 but did not live to reach land. He died and was buried at sea. His first wife was the mother of Frederick Weber. The second wife came to America and settled at Reading, where she subsequently died and is survived by her four children: Anthony, George, Charles and Mrs. Bachmuhl.

Frederick Weber, father of Rudolph S., was born March 4, 1829, in Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany, and died at Reading Jan. 18, 1905, having lived retired for fourteen years previously. He came to America in 1850 and settled at Reading, and in the following year became car inspector for the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Co., and served nineteen years as a member of the wrecking crew. On July 6, 1851, he was married to Elizabeth Springman, born May 17, 1832, daughter of Valentine and Maria Springman, Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany. To this marriage nine children were born, namely: William; Frederick; George; Albert; Elizabeth married Lincoln L. Ramsey; Annie married Ludwig Webner; Rudolph S.; Harry, of Philadelphia; and Ida, who died young.

Rudolph S. Weber attended the public schools of Reading until he was prepared to learn a trade and he went under the instruction of Conrad Brettman, with whom he served a full three years apprenticeship to the barber's trade. He then embarked in business for himself, first at No. 19 S. Ninth St., in 1891 coming to his present location. He has four chairs and a well equipped shop in every way and enjoys the most exclusive trade in the city. His stand is one of the oldest barber stands in Reading, in 1859 a barber by the name of Grayson S. Nelson starting here in the business and continuing until 1865. Mr. Weber is a member of Reading Lodge No. 549, F. & A. M., Reading Lodge of Perfection, 14, Harrisburg Consistory, Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., Reading Lodge of Elks No. 115 and Improved Order of Heptasophs No. 67.

On Jan. 4, 1887, Mr. Weber was married to Clara J. Bittner, daughter of Cyrus and Eliza (Loos) Bittner and they have two children: Charlotte and Elsie. Mr. Weber and family belong to the First Reformed Church of Reading. Politically he is a Democrat. He is numbered with the progressive business men of Reading.


p. 462


William Franklin Weber, alderman of the Eleventh ward, Reading, Pa., has for many years been a popular and useful citizen of that city, and has frequently received the endorsement of her people at the polls.

Anthony Weber, grandfather of William F., was born in 1797, and died in 1843. He was the owner of a small farm in Germany, and he also followed the occupations of butcher and brewer. He married Marie Schneckenberger, and they had children as follows: Fidel; Martin, a brewer; Rosalia, who married and lived in Germany, Maximilian, a shoemaker, who came to America in 1849; Marcus, a wheelwright, who came to America in 1855; and Ambrose, a miller and machinist of Reading, who came to this country in 1866.

Fidel Weber, father of William F., was born in Wurttemberg, Germany, Aug. 14, 1826, and came to this country in 1850. Before leaving the old country he had learned lock-smithing, and after settling in Reading, was employed at his trade, at the Reading Railroad shops. By faithful and diligent service he was transferred to the machine department of that company, and was employed there continuously for fifty-one years. In 1902 he was placed on the pension roll. Mr. Weber always took a deep interest in public affairs and was an ardent and earnest advocate of good government and permanent improvements. He was a Democrat in politics and represented the Second ward in the common council in 1871, and the Tenth ward in the school board during the year 1875. While attending to public duties, Mr. Weber never missed a meeting, and could be relied upon as being an honest and faithful public servant. From the time he reached the voting age he never missed an election and took untold interest in his party. Mr. Weber was also interested in building associations, and during his time was president of more than twenty, of which the most important were the Ringgold, Germania, Columbia, Homestead and Fidelity Associations. He resided in the Second ward forty years, and for the last thirty-one lived at No. 239 South Tenth street.

On Sept. 12, 1852, Fidel Weber married Amelia Wentzel, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Body) Wentzel, and they became the parents of the following children: Alfred died at the age of four; James and Ida died in infancy; Edwin Harrison died in October, 1902, aged thirty-six years, leaving a widow, Sarah (Lincoln) and three children, Harry, Robert and Irene; John M. is a machinist with the Philadelphia & Reading Company; William F.; Emma m. Newton Knerr of Philadelphia; Henry is foreman in the Scott Foundry; Anna Victoria m. Isaac Quinter, a shoe dealer of Reading; Amelia m. Martin Bright of this city; and Winona is at home. Mr. Weber was survived by seventeen grandchildren and eleven great-grandchildren, and a sister, Theresa, of Reading; the latter, however, has since died. He was a member of Germania Lodge I. O. O. F., Reading Relief Association, and in religion of the Reformed Church. Mr. Weber passed away, Sept. 3, 1907, from the effects of catarrh.

William F. Weber was born in Reading, Feb. 2, 1855. He passed his boyhood in the pursuit of an education in the excellent schools of his hometown, and at the age of thirteen began his active business life as a carrier of the Post and Eagle, daily papers of the city. After a short period in this branch of the service, he became apprenticed to the printing trade in the office of the Daily Times. He finished his trade in this office, and afterward served four years there as a journeyman. Mr. Weber then accepted a position in the Freight Department of the Philadelphia & Reading railroad. However, he did not stay but returned to the printing business, taking "cases" in the Telegram.

Taking quite an interest in politics Mr. Weber was elected to the common council from the Tenth ward, at which time he was the youngest member of that body. In 1889 he was elected a member of the same body from the Eleventh ward, being also at that time president of the famous Eleventh Ward Democratic Club, an organization which was a powerful factor during the three years he served as its head. Shortly after the expiration of his term, April 16, 1891, he was appointed alderman of the Eleventh ward, by Governor Pattison, to fill the unexpired term of George Kramer, who had died the previous March. The following year, 1892, Mr. Weber was the aldermanic candidate of his party, and after a hotly contested campaign was elected by a majority of 437, the term being for five years. Again in 1897 and in 1902 he received the endorsement of his constituents, by majorities of 517 and 443, respectively. During the years of his incumbency Mr. Weber has given the most painstaking and careful attention to the needs of his ward, and in matters which affected the weal of the whole city has ever been found on the side of progress.

In March 1880, Mr. Weber married Miss Kate Egelhoff, daughter of William Egelhoff, a respected resident of Reading. To them have come three sons: W. Wayne; Walter W., a machinist; and Edwin C., a member of the class of 1908, Reading high school, who is now taking his college course in Civil Engineering.

Alderman Weber was for thirty-three years a member of the Reading Hose Company, during which time he served for eleven years as president, and is now on the Honorary Roll. He is affiliated with the Order of Red Men and the Knights of the Golden Eagle, and is a member of the First Reformed Church. His activity in political circles makes him a valued member of the Northeastern Democratic Club, and in all the varied interests of his home city, he is ever ready to do a full share of the "necessary" work. As a citizen he is universally esteemed for his loyalty to home institutions, and as a friend and neighbor all unite to do him honor.

W. Wayne Weber, son of William F., is a graduate of the Reading high school, class of 1897. He served as timekeeper for the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company two years, and then became associated with the Reading Cement Company as its clerk and secretary. In 1906 he was engaged with the Interstate Railway Company, with offices in Philadelphia, and since 1907 he has been salesman for eastern Pennsylvania for the Edison Cement. He was a member of the Democratic Northeastern League, and was chairman one term. In 1906-07 he was a member of the State Legislature from the First District of Berks county. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the Red Men, and is an active member of the First Reformed Church.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:57:32 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404


Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.