Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

TRETHEWEY, RICHARD

p. 730

Surnames: TRETHEWEY, BURT, BROWN, SPANG, SCHIFFERT, WILSON, CONNER

Richard Trethewey, assistant superintendent of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company at Reading, Pa., and a man well known in insurance circles of Pennsylvania, was born Jan. 19, 1855, near Chattanooga, Tenn., son of Samuel and Mary Kent (Burt) Trethewey.

Samuel Trethewey was born March 7, 1822, at St. Hilary, Cornwall, England, son of Richard Trethewey, a miner of Cornwall, and came to America in 1849, locating first in New Jersey and later in Tennessee, and taking a trip to California during the gold fever. He was a mining engineer all of his life and from 1877 until his death, May 22, 1905, resided at Friedensville, Lehigh Co., Pa., having been retired for the last thirteen years of his life. He died at his own home in Friedensville, well known and highly esteemed. Mr. Trethewey was married in Cornwall, England, to Mary Kent Burt, born May 12, 1818, at Lostwithiel, Cornwall, who died Feb. 15, 1901, at the old homestead in Lehigh county. They had the following children: Samuel, of Boyertown; William, who was buried at Friedensville; Mary, residing at Pottstown, the widow of Thomas Brown; Richard; Joseph, who resides at No. 3150 Carlisle street, Philadelphia; John H., of No. 121 Oak street, Providence, Scranton, Pa.; and James, of No. 120 Oak street, Providence.

Richard Trethewey spent his boyhood days in Maryland, whence his parents had removed in 1857, and attended the pay schools, which became free schools after the Civil war. After coming to Friedensville he following zinc mining for eight years, and then spent nine years in the Boyertown ore mines. The following year and one-half he mined for gold, silver and copper at the Butte and Boston mine, at Butte City, Mont., a great mining camp, but in 1893 returned to Pennsylvania and began working as an agent for the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company at Bethlehem. The following year he was appointed to an assistant superintendency, and was sent to Pittsburg, where he remained six months, being transferred at this time to an assistant superintendency at Reading, where he has since continued with eminent success. Mr. Trethewey has developed a number of successful insurance men who were formerly in his district, among whom is William H. Spang, superintendent of the Allentown district. Mr. Trethewey is an able insurance man, and during his incumbency of his present office has made his name well known in insurance circles throughout the State.

Mr. Trethewey has been twice married, his first wife being Jennie Schiffert, who died in 1879, in Friedensville, Lehigh county, aged twenty-six years, leaving three children: Florence E., who is single; Jennie M., m. to Wayne Wilson, of Philadelphia; and William G., who is married and resides at No. 520 Broad street, Bethlehem, Pa. He m. (second) Jan. 16, 1892, Addie B. Conner, daughter of Willoughby B. Conner, of Boyertown, Pa., and to this union one child has been born; Paul Richard.

In politics Mr. Trethewey is a Republican with independent inclinations. He is socially connected with Prosperity Chamber, Knights of Friendship, and Washington Camp, No. 104, P. O. S. of A., of Boyertown. He and his family are members of Covenant Methodist Episcopal Church of Reading, and they reside in Mr. Trethewey's large brick residence, at No. 960 North Eleventh street, Reading.


TREXLER FAMILY

p. 1604

Surnames: TREXLER, GONSER, WISTER, STOEVER, SCHUMACHER, HASSLER, BAUER, ALBRECHT, ALBRIGHT, KRONER, JARRETT, REISS, SHIFFERT, BUSH, WANDEL, WINCK, KEMP, HAAS, FOGEL, GRIM, FOLK, SHUMAN, KEIZER, HILBERT, GUISE, HORLACHER, SEIBERLING, BREINIG, SAWYER, LESHER, WERTZ, RENO, RITTENHOUSE, SCHALL, GREGORY, BUTZ, HOFFMAN, LUDWIG, AHLUM, MILLER, DRESHER, REITER, ESTERLY, ROELLER, BORGER, SCHMOYER, METZGER, DRESCHER, BOLICH, LEININGER, LONG, SELL, MERKEL, SWOYER, DIETRICH, KERPER, WILBER, FOCHT, HEINLY, KLINE, ALTENDERFER, KISTLER, GREEBER, HOWERTER, STUMP, CHRIST, KOMP, KUNKEL, GEORGE, ROTH, KRICK, LENHART, KOENIG, HAUCKENBUCH, KERSCHNER, MOYER, LEIBY, BAVER, GABY, REIDER, ROTHERMEL, BOYER, FISHER, MATTERN, SAEGER, LEH

The Trexler family is one of the oldest and most numerous in Berks county. It has numbered in its ranks not alone the honest farmer and industrious laborer, but men in every profession, in civil and military life, and its women have been gracious and womanly. Industry has been a marked characteristic of the family. Money has been made, and when spent, spent wisely, even lavishly when given to the less fortunate. Ambition coupled with ability has made leaders of men, and temperate lives have given strength to meet any issue. To Berks county, Pa., came (I) Peter Trexler, some time prior to 1720, settling in Oley township. As early as Sept. 5, 1720, he was one of the petitioners for the erection of the township. It was but a short time afterward, however, that he left Berks county, and moved to what is now Upper Macungie township, Lehigh county, a territory that, covered with brush and scrub oak as it was, offered very little in the way of attraction to the early settler, other than an abundance of water, with which it was blessed. He settled near Breinigsville, his land embracing what is now the John R. Gonser farm. On Nov. 18, 1729, he obtained from Casper Wister, the patentee, a deed for this land, and this deed is one of the earliest, if not the earliest, in that region. A seven-year residence was required before naturalization, and Peter Trexler did not take out his papers until 1730. He and his family were the first white settlers in Macungie, and Dr. Helfrich, in his history of the various congregations in Lehigh and Berks counties, says, "Way down in the valley near what is now Breinigsville lived, before the general migration into this neighborhood, a Trexler family, with whom the Indians were very friendly. Mother Trexler often presented the Indians with gifts and gave them bread, and in return they brought her wild skins and showed friendship to the pale-faces."

Peter Trexler died in 1758, and his will, dated Dec. 17, 1744, divides his estate among his widow, Catharine, and three sons and three daughters - Jeremiah, John, Peter, Anna, Catharine and Margaret. The son, Peter (2), was made executor of the will. Peter Trexler and his wife were both buried in the family cemetery on their farm, but the graves, originally marked by soft sandstones now wasted away, cannot be definitely located. Steps were recently taken by the Trexler Family Association, in Reunion Aug. 28, 1907, to restore this ancient burial place of their ancestors, and to place a tablet to the memory of Peter Trexler and wife. Of the daughters of Peter Trexler nothing is known, but in the diary of Rev. John Casper Stoever, Nov. 9, 1732, is the record of the marriage of John George Schumacher and Catharine Trexler, of Macungie.

(II) Jeremiah Trexler, eldest son of Peter, had a public house at Trexlertown, as early as 1732. He removed to Easton, and became prominent in public affairs, in 1768 being county tax collector. On Nov. 11, 1776, he was made a member of the General committee of Northampton county, and at the meeting held the same day was made a member of the Standing committee. Later he sold his property at Easton, and returned to Macungie township, Berks county. His wife's name was Catharine. He died in 1783 intestate. There is no record of his children, but it is supposed that John Trexler, who conducted the tavern at Trexlertown some years, was his son.

(III)John Trexler, supposed son of Jeremiah, was twice married. After the death of his first wife, Maria Elizabeth, he married Susanna Hassler, widow of John Hassler and daughter of Casper Bauer. At the time of the Revolution the entire Hassler family was taken captive by the Indians, and one of the children scalped. The father escaped, but for three years the mother and children were held prisoners, then all except the children Jacob and Elizabeth, released. In the will of John Trexler, dated Jan. 26, 1795, probated March 10, 1795, he gave fifty pounds to his wife Susanna for life, and after her death to be divided equally among his step children, "of which Jacob Hassler and Elizabeth are prisoners by the Indians." In this will his own children are mentioned as follows: Peter, Jeremiah, Emanuel, Ferdinand, Philipina Albrecht (or Albright), Margaret Kroner, Maria Elizabeth Jarrett and Israel. Of these, Peter is supposed to have moved West. Jeremiah was for many years a justice of the peace at Trexlertown, and died Feb. 25, 1827, leaving his widow, Elizabeth (Reiss), and children: Margaret (m. Andrew Shiffert), Catharine, Jeremiah (a tailor near Cedar Creek, Allentown), Lucas, Charles, James and John. Emanuel is not mentioned in any record, nor is Philipina Albrecht and Maria Elizabeth Jarrett, Ferdinand married and became the father of a son Benjamin, who in turn became the father of Benjamin F. Trexler, of the Allentown Friedensbote. Israel attained old age in Hanover township, and was survived by nine children - Emanuel, Jonathan, Israel, Jr., John J., Reuben A., Abraham R., Charles H., Mrs. Polly Bush and Mrs. Solomon Wandel.

(II) Peter Trexler, son of Peter the emigrant, was born Feb. 11, 1721, and was bequeathed the homestead near Breinigsville, which had been deeded to him in 1748. He became a man of considerable importance, and was justice of the peace from 1752 to 1776, and as such, under the colonial system, sat in the courts at Easton. The first election in Northampton county occurred Oct. 1, 1752, many of the voters being obliged to travel twenty-five miles to deposit their ballots. The opposing parties were the Irish and German settlers. Peter Trexler was elected one of the three county commissioners. He was a frugal man of methodical habits, and in favor of education. When compelled to be away from home to attend court, he filled his saddle bags with provision so he could board himself. When schools were established in Pennsylvania by the English nobility for the purpose of teaching the English language, Peter Trexler was made one of the trustees of the William Parsons School at Easton. He died Aug. 25, 1798, and was buried in the family cemetery on the home farm. He married Catharine Winck, born Aug. 7, 1728, and died Aug. 14, 1815, aged eighty-seven years, daughter of Casper and Gertrude (Kemp) Winck. According to the Lehigh Church Book, at her death she left sixty-two grandchildren and seventy-nine great-grandchildren. Seven children - three sons and four daughters - survived Peter Trexler. The sons were: Peter, Jonathan and John. The daughters: Maria Christine, born Nov. 3, 1753, married Aug. 13, 1776, Peter Haas, and died Sept. 13, 1829, the mother of ten children; Mrs. Philip Fogel; Mrs. Henry Grim; and one of whom there is no record.

(III) Peter Trexler, son of Peter of Macungie and the third of the name, was born Aug. 15, 1748, and is known as Mertztown Peter, and frequently in the records appears as John Peter or Hom Peter. He was a patriot of the Revolution, serving as captain of the Fifth Company of Col. Breinig's second battalion of militia, and on May 5, 1783, was made lieutenant-colonel. He was elected county commissioner in 1782; representative in the General Assembly, 1785-86-87-88, thus serving four years, the time limit set by the constitution of 1776. He died March 13, 1728, aged seventy-nine years, six months, twenty-eight days and was buried in the family cemetery. His will (See Will Book 6, p. 187) was made Feb. 15, 1825, and entered April 3, 1828, his sons Peter, Jacob, Reuben and Jonas being executors. He married Catharine Grim, daughter of Henry Grim, youngest son of Geittie Grim, the ancestor of the Grim family, so prominent in this section. She was born July 30, 1757, and died July 7, 1828, aged seventy-one years, less twenty-three days. Eleven children were born to Peter and Catharine (Grim) Trexler, namely: (1) Maria m. John Folk, and had children, Joshua, John, Reuben, Anna (Shuman), Catharine (first m. to a Keizer, and second to a Hilbert), Caroline (Guise) and Lydia (Guise). (2) John Peter (Jan. 2, 1777-March 6, 1828) m. Rachel Fogel (Sept. 11, 1784-Jan 1, 1867), and had children: Caroline (Horlacher), Sarah (Seiberling), Maria (Fogel) and Jonas. (3) Jacob became the father of Reuben, David, Peter, Jacob, Mrs. James Breinig, Catharine (Breinig) and Mrs. Stephen Sawyer. (4) Reuben (1782-1846) was an iron master, residing in Mertztown, Longswamp township, where he also carried on farming and was well and favorably known. He married Anna, daughter of Jacob Lesher, a charming, charitable woman of refined taste, and they lived in the old Trexler mansion in Longswamp. They had children: Col. William (1816-1905), Horatio (who lived at Reading, where he was president of the National Union Bank), Dr. Lesher (of Fort Wayne, father of Mrs. Anna Wertz, of Allentown, and Mrs. Judith Reno, mother of Claude Trexler Reno, of Kutztown), Lucinda (wife of Gen. James Rittenhouse) and Caroline (wife of William Schall). Mrs. Anna (Lesher) Trexler died in 1848, aged fifty-four years. (5) Benjamin (1784-1855) is mentioned below. (6) Catharine m. a Mr. Haas, and had children: Judith (Gregory), Nathan, Leana (Butz), Kate (Hoffman), Tallie (Hoffman), Jonathan T., Reuben T. and J. P. T. (7) Jonas had children: Jonas, Willoughby, Abyle, David, Peter, Sarah (Ludwig), Angelina (Ahlum) and Eliza (Miller). (8) Anna m. Philip Dresher, and had two children: Nathan and Judith (Reiter). (9) Nathan lived in Longswamp township, where he died in February, 1865. His will is on record in Will Book 11, p. 363. His wife Phoebe bore him four children: Edwin H., Mary (Mrs. George Schall, Amelia (Mrs. Jonathan B. Grim) and Sarah (Esterly). (10) Daniel died leaving no children. (11) Judith m. Rev. Isaac Roeller, and was affectionately known as "Aunty Roeller," She died in 1885, leaving no children. On Aug. 17, 1809, Peter Trexler bought his son Benjamin a large family Bible, printed in 1798, costing seven dollars. This is now in the possession of Oliver Trexler (born Dec. 21, 1852), son of Nathan and grandson of Benjamin.

(III) John Trexler, son of Peter (2), or Macungie Peter, and his wife Catharine (Winck), was born Oct. 12, 1750. About 1784 he moved to York county. He died June 22, 1829, aged seventy-eight years, eight months and ten days, and was buried on the Gonser farm in the old family cemetery. Among his children was Solomon, whose son Daniel lived in York county as late as 1869; and Lydia, Mrs. Borger, of Breinigsville.

(III) Jonathan Trexler, son of Macungie Peter and Catharine (Winck), was born May 1, 1762, and he died May 11, 1846, aged eighty-four years and ten days, and was buried in the old family cemetery. He married Elizabeth (name on tombstone given as Eliza) Horlacher, born Jan. 9, 1772, died April 3, 1854, aged eighty-two years, two months and twenty-four days. They had children: Jonathan; Anna, m. to Gen. Benjamin Fogel; Diana, m. to Joseph Schmoyer; Catharine, m. to Joseph Miller; Lydia, m. to John Metzger; Sophia, born March 4, 1793, and died unmarried Oct. 9, 1864, aged seventy-one years, seven months, five days; David, born Nov. 27, 1796, and died Aug. 20, 1823, aged twenty-six years, eight months, twenty-three days; Solomon, born May 22, 1810, and died Aug. 31, 1814, aged four years, three months, ten days.

(IV) Benjamin Trexler, son of Peter (3) of Mertztown and Catharine (Grim), was born Feb. 2, 1784, and he died June 20, 1855, aged seventy-one years, four months, eighteen days. He first settled in the Catawissa Valley, but in 1825 moved to Albany, Berks county. He married (first) March 10, 1805, Maria Drescher, and became the father of nine sons and two daughters: Daniel, born Nov. 30, 1805; Benjamin, Jan. 31, 1807; Amos, April 27, 1808; Fianna, July 26, 1809 (died young); Jonas, Dec. 16, 1810; Aaron, May 3, 1812; Jairus, July 26, 1813; Anna, April 25, 1815; one still born; Nathan, Jan 11, 1818; and Peter, May 22, 1820. The wife and mother died May 23, 1820, and he m. (second) June 13, 1823, Catharine Bolich, who bore him one daughter, Catharine, Sept. 3, 1824. Mrs. Catharine Bolich Trexler died Sept. 7, 1855, aged sixty-eight years, nine months and twelve days.

(V) Daniel Trexler, son of Benjamin, born Nov. 30, 1805, married and had children: Uriah, whose son Edward Dietrich Trexler is a foremost lawyer of Berks county; Rev. Daniel, of Bernville; Charles, a wealthy merchant of Topton, Pa.; Dr. William, deceased; and Mary.

(V) Benjamin Trexler, born Jan. 31, 1807, son of Benjamin and Maria (Drescher), died March 18, 1876, aged sixty-nine years, one month and seventeen days. He was a farmer in Longswamp township, and is buried at Mertztown. He married Susanna Leininger, born July 4, 1812, died Dec. 27, 1891, aged seventy-nine years, five months, twenty-three days. Their children were: Amanda, m. to John Miller, of Topton; Susanna, m. to Ephraim Butz, of Topton; Eliza, m. to Marcus Long, of Longswamp township; and Charles L.

(VI) Charles L. Trexler, son of Benjamin and Susanna (Leininger), was born in Longswamp township in 1837, and died upon his farm in Maxatawny township in 1878. He owned and cultivated a large and fertile farm near Lyons, and was very successful in all his undertakings. He was a member of De Long's Lutheran Church, in which he served as deacon for some years. He married Leanda Grim, daughter of the late Daniel and Judith (Sell) Grim, and granddaughter of Heinrich and Gertrude (Trexler) Grim, of Bowers Station (whose children were: Absalom, Jonathan, Daniel, Reuben, Solomon, Ann and Polly). To Charles L. and Leanda Trexler were born: Annie m. Edwin Merkel, of Topton, and has a son Charles (They live with Mrs. Merkel's mother in a fine home on Kemp street, Lyons); Emma m. Morris Bauer, and has two sons, John and Charles; Sarah m. Walter Swoyer (mentioned elsewhere); and Miss Mary resides with her mother.


(V) Amos Trexler, son of Benjamin and Maria (Drescher), born April 27, 1808, died March 4, 1892. He was a farmer and tanner near Greenawald Station, in Albany township, and was very prominent in township affairs, holding various offices, and being especially interested in educational affairs. He married Elizabeth Dietrich (1810-1888), daughter of John Adam Dietrich, and their children were: Katharine, Fietta, Sally Ann, Nathan D., Jonathan D., Amos, Emma, Dr. Horatio and Dr. William.

(VI) Nathan D. Trexler, son of Amos and Elizabeth (Dietrich), and now living retired at Trexler Station, in Albany township, Berks county, was born in that same township July 4, 1839. His education was acquired in the old pay schools, in three terms at the township schools, and in Kingston Academy in Luzerne county, Pa. He was early trained to the tanning trade, and when in his eighteenth year worked in a tannery at Lewisburg, where he remained one and one-half years. He then returned to Berks county and worked for his father until 1860, after which he operated 143 acres of land in Perry township for two years. He had married in the meantime, and after his wife's death in 1862 he returned to his father's home, and on Oct. 16, 1862, he enlisted in the Union army, as a member of Company K, 179th Pa. V. I., serving until July 31, 1863, when he was mustered out at Harrisburg. He returned home and worked at his trade until 1866, and on March 13th of that year he located at what is now Trexler Station (named for him), where he purchased the Henry Kerper & Co. tannery, and this he operated from 1867 until 1892. From 1867 to 1877 he was in partnership with his brother Amos D., whose interest he later purchased. In 1885 he sold the tannery and eleven acres of land to his brother and rented it from him. Since 1892 the tannery has been abandoned. In that year he purchased a farm of ninety-three acres at Greenawald, which he cultivated over two years, cutting down twelve acres of heavy timber which he sold to Job Wilber & Co., of Providence, R. I. The tract was valuable to this firm because of the red shale or ochre, and they are now operating the shale quarry under the supervision of James S. Focht. Mr. Trexler moved into his present residence in 1890. He erected another house near by in 1875. He is known all over the county, and he has served continuously as Republican county committeeman in Berks county since 1866. During 1865-66 after his return from the war he was bounty tax collector. From 1893 to 1895 he was county auditor, and since 1866 has been annually a delegate to the county convention of his party, and has served a number of times as delegate to the State conventions. He is a member of the Lutheran, and his wife of the Reformed, congregation at New Jerusalem Church, and he has been trustee and elder. He is a member and past commander of Capt. Lewis Harmony Post, No. 606, G. A. R., at Steinsville.

Mr. Trexler's first wife was Polly Heinly, who died March 10, 1862, leaving no children. He m. (second) Sept. 8, 1864, Harriet Kline, daughter of Peter and Sarah (Dietrich) Kline, of Greenwich township, and granddaughter of Peter, Sr., and Elizabeth (Altenderfer) Kline, of Klinesville, a village in Greenwich township named for Peter, Sr. Three children have been born to this union: Mary E., m. to Lloyd P. Kistler, of Lehigh county; Dr. Charles Amos, of Knoxville, Tioga county; and James Spenser, a member of the James R. Ahrens Construction Company, of Lewistown. Mr. Trexler has a grandfather's clock which his grandfather Benjamin obtained from his father when he began housekeeping.

(VI) Jonathan D. Trexler, son of Amos and Elizabeth (Dietrich), born in Albany township, July 4, 1848, was a prosperous farmer, living along Ontelaunee creek, above Lenhartsville, Berks county, where he owned 137 acres, improved with good substantial buildings. He married Susanna Greeber, of Perry township, who bore him the following children: Sarah, wife of James Howerter, a farmer near Hamburg, Pa.; Jerome G., a wealthy farmer in Windsor township; Richard G.; and Mary Ann, wife of Henry Stump, a farmer of Klinesville, Pennsylvania.

(VII) Richard G. Trexler, son of Jonathan D., was born in Perry township, Sept. 4, 1867, and is now a prosperous farmer of Richmond township. He was given a limited education in the schools of Albany and Greenwich townships, attending for a few months each winter until he was seventeen years old. Early in life the habits of economy and industry were instilled in him by his worthy parents, and he has become very successful, owning a good farm and fine modern buildings. In 1895 he married Caroline S. Christ, daughter of Jacob and Esther (Merkel) Christ, of near Dietrich's mill in Greenwich township. Two children were born to them: John Albert and Annie Esther. Both Mr. and Mrs. Trexler are Lutherans, and attend Dunkel's Church. In politics Mr. Trexler is a Republican, and is much interested in his party's success.


(V) Jairus Trexler, son of Benjamin, was born in Catawissa township, Columbia county, July 26, 1813, and died Jan. 25, 1983, aged seventy-nine years. He was engaged in farming near Round Top, in Albany township. He married Maria (Polly) Komp, daughter of Johan and Maria Magdalena (Dietrich) Komp, of Greenwich township. She was born May 27, 1825, and died at a ripe age. The children born of this union were: Fianna, born July 19, 1844, married Peter Kunkel, of Lehigh county, Pa.; Benjamin K., born Feb. 17, 1846, of Albany township; Celinda, born Oct. 24, 1848, m. to Benneville George, of Greenwich township; Anna M., born Nov. 22, 1850, m. to David Roth, of Albany township; Jonathan, born Nov. 13, 1852, and died Sept. 11, 1863; Isabella, born Sept. 27, 1854, and died May 4, 1857; Jairus, born April 7, 1857, of Albany township; Mahlon, born April 23, 1859, of Albany township; Joel, born May 30, 1861; Caroline, born Dec. 21, 1863, m. to Aaron L. Krick, of Reading, Pa.; Missouri, born May 2, 1866, widow of Elmer Lenhart, of Albany township; and Ellen, born Feb. 13, 1871, and died May 9, 1876.

(VI) Benjamin K. Trexler, son of Jairus and Maria (Komp), and a leading citizen of Albany township, Berks county, was born on his father's farm in that township, Feb. 17, 1846. He was educated in the township schools, and gave his services on the farm to his parents until he reached his majority. In the spring of 1875 he began farming in Siegfried's Dale, in Maxatawny township, and there lived two years. In the spring of 1878 he came to Albany township, and located on a farm belonging to his father-in-law, Jonas Koenig, where he has since lived, conducting the farm with great success until the spring of 1907, when he retired and was succeeded by his son, Elton J. After he had lived there some years Mr. Trexler purchased the farm. The stone house was built in 1851 by Michael Hauckenbuch. This has one of the best walls in the township, being built of regular stone in an unusually substantial manner. The present barn was erected in 1798. There are ninety-two acres of excellent farming land, and Mr. Trexler also has about 100 acres of woodland. With his brother Mahlon he owns the old homestead farm of 197 acres, located at Round Top. On this farm is found a valuable shale. Like all the Trexlers Mr. Benjamin K. Trexler is a stanch Republican, and one of the foremost men of his township. For twenty-five years he has been tax collector of the township, and is always one of the first in the county to settle his duplicate. He and his family are members of the New Bethel (Corner) Church, belonging to the Lutheran congregation. He has held many offices and is one of the active and useful members.

On July 6, 1873, Mr. Trexler married Kate Koenig, daughter of Jonas and Catharine (Kerschner) Koenig, the former a son of Jacob Koenig, of Albany township. To Mr. and Mrs. Trexler was born one son, Elton J., Nov. 25, 1884, now a farmer in Albany, and m. to Mary V. Dietrich, daughter of Alfred and Louisa (Merkel) Dietrich, late of Albany township. Mr. Dietrich was a miller. Mr. and Mrs. Elton J. Trexler have a son, Clinton M.

(VI) Joel Trexler, son of Jairus, was born at Round Top, in Albany township, May 30, 1861. He was reared to farming and worked for his parents until he was twenty-seven years old. In 1888 he began farming on his father's farm, and continued there for seven years. In 1895 he came to Maxatawny, where he has since lived on the Butz farm. He has been very successful, and he has good live stock. In his political principle he is a stanch Republican, and he has been a regular voter since he attained his majority, and he has been honored with a number of local offices. Like all his family he is a Lutheran, and is a member of St. John's Church, while his wife belongs to St. Paul's Reformed Church. While in Albany township he was a deacon in New Bethel Corner Church, and at present is serving as a trustee of St. John's in Kutztown. On Dec. 23, 1882, Mr. Trexler was married to Lucy Ann Moyer, daughter of the late John and Hettie (Dietrich) Moyer, of Greenwich township, and granddaughter of John Henry and Polly (Leiby) Moyer, early residents of Greenwich township. Her great-grandfather settled on the farm now owned by William Baver, who became its owner in 1908. Mr. and Mrs. Trexler have four children: Herbert G. m. Sally Gaby, daughter of Samuel Gaby, of Maxatawny, and has three sons -Warren E., Lloyd H. and Howard J.; Ethan V., Laura H. and Ralph J., all three at home.


Benjamin C. Trexler was a native of Maxatawny township. He was a shoemaker by trade, and this he followed for seven years, but ill health necessitated a change of occupation, and he began farming on his fine farm near Monterey, containing ninety-six acres. This he farmed for seventeen years with great success. He is buried at Zion's Church, of which he was an official member. He married Lydia Reider, of Maiden-creek township, whose mother in her maidenhood was Catharine Rothermel. They had four sons: Milton C., of Breinigsville, m. Agnes Miller, and has three children - Mamie, Clarence and Lloyd; Clayton H., of Breinigsville, m. Catharine Merkel, and has two children, Adda V. and Edna M.; Jeremiah F., of Breinigsville, m. Alice Boyer, and has six children - Lillie M., Mabel M., Horace E., Hattie, Fred and Marguerite; and Levi B.

Levi B. Trexler, son of Benjamin C., was born in Maxatawny township, March 4, 1878, and is now a successful teacher in Newtown, Lehigh county. He was reared to farming, and was educated in the public schools and the Keystone State Normal at Kutztown, graduating from the latter institution in 1898. He taught his first term of school at Kuhnsville, Upper Macungie township, Lehigh county, in the fall of 1898, and he has since taught every term. He owns a farm of nineteen acres, located in Maxatawny township, near the Siegfried's church. This land lies adjacent to a large tract owned by his father. On Mr. Trexler's farm is a new Swiss barn that he erected in 1908, also a stone house, the latter built by Johannes and Julian Fisher in 1829. This house is in good condition, and the walls are good for one hundred years to come. Mr. Trexler is a Lutheran in his religious belief, and belongs to Zion's Church in Maxatawny township, taking an active part in its work. He is connected with the Breinigsville Sunday-school, of which he has been superintendent since 1899. He is a man of high moral principle, and is highly esteemed in the county. He is a member of the Jr. O. U. A. M. No. 403, of Fogelsville, Pennsylvania.


Jonas Trexler, who died at his home in Allentown Feb. 3, 1908, at the age of seventy-nine, was one of that city's prominent business men during the years of his active life. His later years were passed in comparative retirement. He was born in Upper Milford, near Emaus, Sept. 29, 1828, son of Reuben and Salome (Mattern) Trexler, and was a boy of twelve years when his father died. He attended the schools of Upper Milford, and took a course in the Norton School at Belvidere, N. J. For a number of years he clerked in stores at Easton and Allentown, learning the principles that guide in commercial life. He passed one year in the West, and on his return to Allentown in 1856 he found employment in the Dresher lumber yards. Shortly after he entered into partnership with Edwin Trexler and William Dresher, under the firm name of E. W. Trexler & Co., and they purchased the lumber business. The firm remained unchanged for some years, and then became Trexler Brothers. In 1870 Mr. Jonas Trexler retired from that business, and in 1876 he gave up active business entirely, other than looking after his own property. On June 11, 1874, he married Christiana R. Saeger. They had no children. Mr. Trexler was survived by his sister, Mrs. Henry Leh. His brothers Edwin and Willoughby preceded him in death, the latter being killed at the railroad crossing in Emaus July 10, 1900.


TREXLER, WILLIAM (COL.)

p. 539

Surnames: TREXLER, LESHER, GRIM, SCHALL, RITTENHOUSE, SINGMASTER, MALTZBERGER, WEILER

Col. William Trexler, long prominent and widely known throughout Berks county, died at his home in Longswamp township Dec. 19, 1905. He was born in that township Sept. 2, 1816, son of Reuben and Anna (Lesher) Trexler.

The Trexler family in America, so far as is known, was founded by John Peter Trexler, who made his home in Northumberland county, Pa., where he became very influential.

Peter Trexler, the paternal grandfather of Col. William, engaged in farming at Mertztown, where he spent his active days. He married Catherine Grim.

Reuben Trexler, son of Peter, was an iron master, and that calling together with farming he followed all his active years. He died in 1846, at the age of sixty-four. He married Anna Lesher, who was born in Longswamp township, Berks county, daughter of Jacob Lesher, an iron master of Berks county, who moved to Pottstown after retiring from business. Five children were born to Reuben Trexler and wife, namely: Horatio, who at the time of his death was president of the National Union Bank, at Reading; William; Lesher, who became a successful physician at Fort Wayne, Ind., and is now deceased; Caroline, deceased wife of William Schall, of Norristown, Pa.; Lucinda, who married James Rittenhouse, and both are now deceased.

Col. William Trexler was given a good common school education, and on reaching young manhood engaged in farming, afterward taking up tanning at his late home farm. He then tried milling and later the coal business, all proving successful ventures and he finally added a general mercantile store. The last few years of his life were spent in retirement. He took great pleasure in his beautiful home, located in Longswamp township.

In 1842 Colonel Trexler was married to Mary Ann Singmaster, of Macungie township, Lehigh county, daughter of John Singmaster, a farmer and tanner. Mrs. Trexler died in 1877. To this union were born the following children: Reuben, deceased; Alonzo, late of Huntingdon county, Pa., now deceased; Annie, widow of Harrison Maltzberger, an attorney at Reading; Alvin S., who conducted a tannery and coal yard in Longswamp township, but is now retired; William; Lesher Ashley, a practicing physician at San Antonio, Texas, now deceased; John L. S., of Macungie, Pa.; Mary, who married Hiram Weiler, and who is now deceased; and Henry Clay and Myra. both deceased. Colonel Trexler married (second) Amelia Schall, who died in February, 1890.

In politics Colonel Trexler was a Republican, and for fifty-three years was postmaster at Longswamp. He was justice of the peace for many years, and also held a number of other local offices, never being defeated if he offered himself as a candidate. He was a Mason, belonging to Burgess Lodge No. 333, F. & A. M., Allentown. In his religious faith he was a Lutheran.


TRICKEL, JOSEPH

p. 671

Surnames: TRICKEL, GRETH, NICKOLAS, DRAHER, REGAR, De HART

Joseph Trickel, master mechanic of the Penn Hardware Company, Reading, and a highly esteemed resident of that city, was born in Baden, Germany, in 1851, and there received his education. He came to America when seventeen years old, and came direct from New York City to Reading, where he has since resided.

Mr. Trickel learned the machinist's trade in Reading with A. C. Greth, with whom he remained for twelve and one-half years, and after finishing his trade worked as a journeyman for some time. He then engaged with the Penn Hardware Company, and he has continued with that firm to the present time, a matter of thirty years. He started as foreman of the machine shop, and shortly after was made master mechanic. He is one of the oldest employes of the company, and is a very skilled mechanic, having several patented inventions to his credit, and being at the head of thirty-two foreman.

Mr. Trickel married Catherine E. Nickolas, daughter of Adam and Elizabeth (Draher) Nickolas, the former a pioneer brush manufacturer of Reading, having his foundry at No. 131 North Tenth street. He died at the age of seventy-two years, while his widow survives him and resides with her youngest daughter, Mrs. Christine Regar, No. 1405 Muhlenberg street, Reading, being aged eighty years. Mr. and Mrs. Trickel have one daughter, Annie, the wife of Herbert S. De Hart (son of William), a plumber, and they reside with Mr. and Mrs. Trickel.

The Trickels are members of the Catholic Church. Politically Mr. Trickel is independent. He is a stockholder in the Penn Hardware Company, and is the owner of considerable property in the city of Reading. Mr. Trickel's first home was at No. 1050 Muhlenberg street, having purchased this in 1876, and since that time he has purchased considerable property, among it being his present home, No. 1236 Perkiomen avenue, which he bought in 1895. Mr. Trickel's mother paid a visit to the United States when seventy-two years of age, visiting all of the large cities, and then returned to her native country, where she died.

Mr. Joseph Trickel was the eldest of his parents' children, the others being: Leander, a well known butcher of Reading; Reinhardt, a blacksmith by trade, who died in Philadelphia; Alfred, who served in the German army, and died in that country; Catherine, deceased; and Bertha, who is living in Philadelphia.


TROSTLE, HENRY F.

p. 704

Surnames: TROSTLE, TROSTELL, TROKSELL, TROSSELL, PERCY, SEIDABENNER, MILLER, MERKLE, SWEIKHART, REMP, FRITZ, GRIFFITH, ECHENROTH, KACHEL, HOFFERT, HUBER, NEINZEHHELZER, KISSINGER, GEIGLY, KESSLER, GOOD, BEAM, EBERLY, OBERLIN, STEFFY, HARTZ, BRENDLE, ESHELMAN, SCHWEITZER, GLASS, GARMAN, FURLOW, LEBO

The Trostle family was founded in America by two brothers, Peter and Hans Bernhardt Trostle, natives of Switzerland, who sailed for the New World from Rotterdam on the ship "Samuel," Hugh Percy, master. They landed at Philadelphia, Aug. 17, 1733. In the records the name of Peter Trostell is variously spelled. The clerk who kept a list of the passengers aboard the ship spelled it Troksell, elsewhere it appears Trossell. In 1733 his age was given as forty-two, and that of his wife Anna Maria, as thirty-two. In the same year (1733) Hans Bernhardt Trostell was thirty-eight, and his wife, Catharine, thirty. Peter Trostell, aged nine years, and Daniel Trostell, aged seven years, possibly children of the former Peter, were also registered as passengers aboard the same ship.

Brecknock township, Berks county, was largely settled by the Swiss and Welsh. On the same ship on which came the Trostells were many others whose names are still common (1908) in Brecknock. Apparently a whole colony left their native home and came to America, settling in one locality. Parts of Brecknock township were settled soon after 1733, and these emigrants evidently worked their way through the forests from Philadelphia. Whether the two brothers, Peter and Hans Bernhardt, settled in the same district is conjectural, but it is evident that the Trostles were a numerous family in Brecknock township in earlier years, the cemetery at the old Allegheny Church (Union) containing many tombs bearing the name. This church was the place of worship for the settlers for many miles around. Among the tomb-stones in the cemetery there that are yet readable are those of Heinrich and George Trostell. The former was born June 4, 1724, and died Oct. 9, 1759, aged thirty-five years, four months, and five days. The latter, George, was born Feb. 17, 1730, and died Sept. 11, 1804, aged seventy-four years, two months and twenty-four days. It is undetermined who were the parents of Heinrich and George, but there is little doubt that they were the children of one or the other of the emigrant ancestors. The Trostle homestead in Brecknock township is in the western part near, "Knauer's Hotel." Tradition says that it has been in the family name for more than one hundred and fifty years. There is a house upon this property, built by a Trostle long before the American Revolution. It is of stone, the masonry of superior workmanship and good appearance, and the walls twenty-two inches thick. This property has never been out of the Trostle name.

George Trostle was the ancestor of Henry Trostle of Spring township. He was born in Brecknock township, Feb. 17, 1730, as above stated. There is still in existence an old deed for the Trostle homestead bearing the date 1749. He married Rosina Seidabenner, and they became the parents of the following children: Heinrich, John, George, Jacob, William, Abraham, Margaret (wife of Jacob Merkle) and Elizabeth (wife of David Miller). The signatures of the children are to be found on the deed, date June 29, 1805, when all signed over the homestead to Heinrich. George Trostle (Trostell) died Sept. 11, 1804.

Heinrich Trostle, son of George, was a blacksmith by trade, and did a great deal of work for the Indians, with whom he was on the friendliest terms, many stories of his association with the red men being familiar to the older members of the family. He had two teams on the road hauling goods from Philadelphia to Pittsburg. His will was probated in 1824. He married Elizabeth Sweikhart, and they had children: Heinrich (2); John, who was survived by his wife Catharine (who was executrix of his will made Jan. 18, 1857, and probated Feb. 23, 1857) and children, Levina, Sarah, Caroline and Wallace; Barbara, born Jan. 6, 1786, m. to Benjamin Remp, and died March 15, 1857; Peggy, m. to George Fritz; and Elizabeth, m. to Isaac Griffith.

Heinrich Trostle (2), born Jan. 15, 1794, died Aug. 15, 1875, and is buried in the Allegheny Church cemetery, of which he was a stanch member. He married Elizabeth Griffith, and their children were: Benjamin, Isaac, Henry (3), John, Eliza, Katie, Cassia and Susan (m. Lewis Echenroth, and had four sons and five daughters), of whom Benjamin, Isaac, Eliza and Katie died unmarried. In about 1800, when Heinrich Trostle was six years of age, he witnessed the parting of the Indians and his father, the Indians informing the latter that they were going on the war path, and proving their words by beginning to murder when only a short distance away. At the age of thirteen young Heinrich (2) made his first trip to Pittsburg with his father's team. It had not been intended that the lad should make the entire trip, but to drive only until he could find some one to do it. This was not to the young man's liking, however, and he made the long drive without looking for any one to do the work. This was the beginning of this work for him, and he drove his father's teams until he was twenty-one years of age. He then started out for himself and made many long and ofttimes dangerous trips. Later he was engaged in hauling charcoal to Mt. Penn Furnace for a number of years. When not engaged with his teams he devoted himself to farming--doing the work the other boys did while he was absent. His wife Elizabeth died in 1842, and from that time until 1848 his household was looked after by his daughter Cassia. In the latter year she wedded Reuben Kachel, who rented the farm until 1852, when he died. Then again Cassia became her father's housekeeper, continuing until 1875, when he died. Cassia, by her marriage to Mr. Kachel, had two sons, Henry T. and Reuben Samuel.

John Trostle, youngest son of Heinrich (2), was a stone mason by trade, but in 1859 he rented his father's farm, and carried it on as a tenant until his father's death in 1875, when he purchased it, continuing to attend to its cultivation until his death. It is now owned by his widow. John Trostle married Julia Hoffert, and they became the parents of two children: Henry m. Mary Huber, and had two children, John (m. to May Neinzehhelzer) and Sally (died in infancy); and Amanda m. Samuel Kissinger, and had sixteen children, six sons and ten daughters, of whom two daughters are deceased. Henry Trostle (3), son of Heinrich (2), was born in 1824, on the old homestead in Brecknock township. From 1852 to 1859 he was a tenant on the home farm. He married Sophia Geigly, daughter of Samuel Geigly, of Lancaster county, Pa. Their children were: John died in boyhood; Susanna m. John M. Kessler, and has no children; and Henry F.

Henry F. Trostle, son of Henry (3), and now a substantial citizen of West Reading, was born in Brecknock township, Sept. 4, 1859, and was but five weeks old when his father died. He obtained his education in the township schools near his birthplace, and in the Good school in Lancaster county. He was brought up to farming and for a number of years lived with Christian and Benjamin Good in Lancaster county. After his marriage in 1887 he engaged in the merchandise business in Bowmansville. At first he was in partnership with C. M. Beam, under the firm name of Trostle & Beam, and this continued for six years, when he went into business with J. M. Kessler under the name of Trostle & Kessler. This firm existed two years, and was then dissolved by mutual consent. Moving to Ephrata, Pa., Mr. Trostle lived there a year, and for some time was employed as a salesman, also doing various other kinds of work. In 1896 he came to West Reading, and worked for a wholesale produce company, doing huckstering in Reading. That same year he bought building lots in West Reading, and erected two residences, Nos. 701 and 703 Penn avenue, which he sold. He then erected ten more in the same borough. He lives in a fine three-story brick house at No. 700 Penn avenue.

In February, 1887, Mr. Trostle married Emma Eberly, who was born in 1864, daughter of Israel Eberly and wife (whose maiden name was Oberlin), the former a farmer in Clay township, Lancaster county, and a descendant of Jacob Eberly, a Swiss Mennonite who settled in Lancaster before 1750. Mrs. Trostle's great-grandfather, Samuel Eberly (born Feb. 8, 1793, died Jan. 26, 1876) lived in Elizabeth (now Clay) township, and there in 1832 built a house; he was the first county treasurer under the constitution of 1837. To Mr. and Mrs. Trostle were born children as follows: Harry died in infancy; Ida Susan; Edwin E.; Mary Edith; and Alvin E. They are all members of St. Joseph's Reformed Church of West Reading, and since 1901 Mr. Trostle has been a member of the Consistory. He is a Democrat in politics, and for eight years under President Cleveland's two administrations, 1885-89 and 1893-97, was in the postoffice at Bowmansville, being assistant postmaster during the first term, and postmaster the second term. He is a member of the Modern Woodsmen of America.


William Trostle married Magdalena Steffy (born Feb. 12, 1795, died May 22, 1883) and they had four sons and one daughter: (1) Richard m. Sallie Hartz, and had two sons and five or six daughters, the sons being Isaac, who is married and living in Mohnton; and Levi, m. to Elizabeth Brendle, and had a son Martin (m. Kate Eshelman, and has a son Paul), and three daughters, Catharine (m. Franklin Schweitzer), Ellen (m. Nathan Remp) and Cora (m. Jeremiah Schweitzer). (2) Jacob m. Ann Steffy. He was a stone mason by trade, but devoted the latter years of his life to farming. Of his children, three sons and five daughters are living: Jacob m. Lydia Eshelman, and has two children; Howard m. Mamie Glass, and has two children; Harry m. Lizzie Garman, and has two children; and five daughters are all married, but not living in this vicinity. (3) Levi was a carpenter. he was born April 20, 1833, and died July 10, 1897. He m. Ann Furlow, born Dec. 19, 1828, died Nov. 7, 1896, and they had children; William (born June 28, 1861, died June 26, 1895), Levi (born Dec. 6, 1869, died June 26, 1894), John, Elmer and Sarah. They lived in Lancaster county. (4) Benjamin moved to Lebanon county, Pa. (5) Sallie m. David Lebo, and lived in Lancaster county.


TROUP, THEODORE

p. 1627

Surnames: TROUP, KIRCHHOFF, BISHOP, SEIDEL, DEYSHER, STEINEL

Theodore Troup, a pioneer business man of the Ninth Ward of Reading, Pa., and the owner of much real estate in the city, was born Jan. 6, 1837, in Franklin county, Pa., son of John and grandson of Jacob Troup.

Jacob Troup and his wife were pioneers of Franklin county where both died, their children being: John; David; Martin; George; Anthony; Samuel; Mary and Susan. Of this family.

John Troup became a blacksmith, a trade which he followed throughout his life, his death occurring in 1844 from falling against his anvil. John Troup married Miss Mary Kirchhoff, daughter of Jacob and Susan (Bishop) Kirchhoff, early residents of Berks county, and she died at the home of her son, Theodore, in Reading, Dec. 1, 1885. Their children were: Theodore; Lambert; Martha; Susan and Joanna.

Theodore Troup attended the public schools of Clear Springs, Franklin county, and came to Berks county in 1845. He was first employed on a farm in Exeter township, but later learned the trade of blacksmith, which he followed for two years in the county. He came to Reading in 1857 and for twenty-one years was employed at his trade at the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad shops. He engaged in the grocery business in 1886, at Eleventh and Elm streets, where he has since continued with much success, at first handling a line of dry goods, which he has replaced with a full and first-class stock of notions, in addition to an excellent collection of staple and fancy groceries. Mr. Troup's building, which he erected himself, is 20 x 80 and is fitted out with the latest modern improvements. His business foresight, and courteous manner in dealing with customers has gained for Mr. Troup the good-will of the people of his community, and as a result his trade is correspondingly large. In addition to his grocery business. Mr. Troup has dealt extensively in real estate and owns six properties in the Ninth Ward, two each in the First and Thirteenth and one in the Second and two in the Twelfth Ward.

Mr. Troup married Catherine Seidel, daughter of Jacob and Catherine (Deysher) Seidel, and one son has been born to this union: Howard J., who married Laura Steinel, and is engaged in business with his father. Mr. Troup is a Democrat in politics, and has often been offered public positions, which he has not allowed himself to be prevailed to accept. In religious matters he is a Lutheran, and he is fraternally connected with the Chandler Lodge o. 227, F. & A. M.


TROUT, DANIEL M.

p. 1465

Surnames: TROUT, HARTLINE, BOYER, DIEROLF, HENNINGER, RHOADS, , ANDERSON, MECHERLY, MOCK, LEA, FOREMAN, BRYAN, WENTZEL

Daniel M. Trout, who is engaged as a butcher at Boyertown, is a native of Earl township, Berks county, born Oct. 17, 1865. The early home of the Trout family was in England, whence came three brothers. Of these one, whose Christian name is a matter of dispute, some saying Samuel, and some, John, settled in Berks county, one in Germantown and one in Lancaster county. Tradition says all three served in the Continental army with Washington. The one who settled in Berks county was unable to speak any German at first, but he married a German woman by the name of Hartline, and his children all learned the German language, being unable to speak English at all. His children were John and Samuel.

John Trout was born in 1758, and he died in 1844, and was buried at Hillchurch. His children were: (1) George is buried at Reading. He had four children, Isaac, Sallie, Kate and George, Jr. (2) Samuel, who is buried at Hillchurch, had two children, Jeremiah and Mary Ann. The wife of Samuel attained the age of one hundred and one years. (3) Joseph is said to have died single. (4) Isaac became the father of eleven children--John, Isaac (2), George, Daniel, Samuel, Susanna, Polly, Lydia, Hannah, Peggy and Savannah. (5) John. (6) Elizabeth had ten children, Rachel, Mary, Sallie, Lillie, Elizabeth, Jacob, Hiram, James, William and Kate. (7) Kate (no record).

John Trout, son of John, died in 1870, at the age of seventy-five. He had seven children: David, still living at nearly four score years, moved to Philadelphia; Lewis had fifteen children--Anna, John, Ephraim, Sallie, Elizabeth, Henry, William, Daniel, David, Mary, Edward, Charles, Warren, Kate and Amanda; John had thirteen children--Orlando, Horace, Kate, Mary Ann, Mahlon, Amanda, Henry, Emma, Sallie, Hettie, Triper, Malinda and William; Sarah had seven children--Henry, John, Emma, Amanda, Sarah, Catharine and Lizzie; and Henry, Elizabeth and Kate, who all died unmarried.

Samuel Trout, son of the emigrant, was born in 1772, and died in 1858. He was the father of nine children: William, who had two children, David (who was the father of William, Ephraim, David, Jr., May, Alvin and Sallie) and Esther (who had eleven children); Samuel, who had thirteen children; Reuben, who was the father of twelve children; Jacob, who had seven children; Samuel, who had nine children; John (two children); Christiana, who married, and became the mother of seven children; Lena, who married, a Boyer, and had ten children; and Maria, who married a Dierolf, and had four children.


Jacob T. Trout, grandfather of Daniel M., was born in Earl township, Berks county, where he was a lath and rake maker. He made his home in the mountains near Shanesville, where he owned a tract of land. He is buried at Hillchurch, as are many others of the name. His children were: David, of Philadelphia; Sarah, who married Henry Henninger, of Sassamansville; Lewis; and John, of Earl township, who died in 1907, at the age of seventy-two years.

Lewis Trout, son of Jacob T., was born in Earl township, in 1822, and he died there Jan. 1, 1886. He carried on shoemaking at Worman. In religion he was Reformed, and is buried at Fairview Cemetery, Boyertown. He was twice married. His first wife, Kate Rhoads, became the mother of four children: John, Ephraim, Catharine and Anna. He married (second) Rebecca Boyer, who died in 1890, aged fifty-nine years. Ten children were born of this second marriage: Sally (Anderson); Elizabeth (Mecherly); Henry, of Pottstown; William, deceased; Daniel M.; David, of New Berlinville; Mary (Mock); Amanda (Lea); and Edwin, Charles and Warren, deceased.

Daniel M. Trout attended the public schools, and his boyhood days were spent at Worman, but since he was fifteen years old his home has been at Boyertown. As a young man he worked at the mines and in the rolling mills of Berks and Montgomery counties. For but two months less than twenty years he followed the iron business. On March 18, 1908. he became the proprietor of the butcher shop and meat store at the corner of Railroad street and Philadelphia avenue (formerly the property of Harry Foreman, who with his wife, two children and sister perished in the Boyertown Opera House fire, Jan. 13, 1908). He has built up a good trade, having three teams on the road all the time, and employing three men. He kills from six to eight steers and from ten to fifteen calves per week.

In 1887 Mr. Trout was married to Lizzie Bryan, daughter of William and Mary (Wentzel) Bryan, of Boyertown, the former of whom kept the toll-gate for forty-six years. The Bryans are of the same family originally as William Jennings Bryan, of Nebraska. To Mr. and Mrs. Trout was born a son, Lewis B., March 6, 1888. Mrs. Trout died Feb. 5, 1905, aged thirty-seven years, and was laid to rest at Boyertown. Mr. Trout belongs to the Red Men and the Jr., O. U. A. M. He is a member of St. John's Lutheran Church, and is active in its work.


TROUT, JAMES R.

p. 676

Surnames: TROUT, RUTH, SNYDER, SCHWOYER, YERKEY, WILKER, KASE, , HORNBERGER, FIX, ZELLERS, SALLADA, WEISS

James R. Trout, a prominent citizen of Cumru township, who is engaged in the stone, lime and sand business at Shillington, Pa., was born Aug. 15, 1842, in Boyertown, Berks county, son of Joseph Z. and Mary Ann (Ruth) Trout.

William Trout, grandfather of James R., was born in Scotland, and in 1811, because of the oppression of the people in that country, he came to the United States and settled in Berks county, Pa. He enlisted in the war of 1812 as a substitute for Uthree Snyder, who was at that time working the Oley furnaces, and after the war accompanied the Snyders to what is now Snyder county, Pa., and assisted in the settlement of that county. While at that place he followed the occupation of butcher, although his regular trade, at which he worked the major portion of his life, was that of tanner. His wife was Catherine Schwoyer, of Goshenhoppen, Montgomery Co., Pa., a Roman Catholic in religious faith. Their children were: (1) Joseph Z. (2) John lived in Reading, and for many years was a fine mechanic and boiler maker for the Philadelphia & Reading Company, (3) George, who lived in Reading, was a tailor by trade, and in later years removed to Pottstown and conducted, in connection with his business, the "Daubs Hotel." He was a prominent candidate for sheriff of Montgomery county, but suffered defeat on account of being a new man in the community, (4) Mary m. William Yerkey, a lamp-black manufacturer of Snyder county, (5) Kate m. the Rev. Mr. Wilker, of Goshenhoppen, Pa., (6) Polly m. John Kase, a well-known blacksmith of Goshenhoppen, Pennsylvania.

Joseph Z. Trout was born near Boyertown, Pa., April 21, 1817, and came to Cumru township in 1850, settling near the "Five Mile House." In his youth he learned the trade of tanner with his father, which he followed at Boyertown, and at the "Five Mile House" from 1850 until his death, July 15, 1864. He owned a valuable property at this place, and was an excellent workman. Having acquired a good education in the public schools, and being an excellent penman, he was often employed to write deeds and agreements, and became a conveyancer of note. On Feb. 6, 1840, Mr. Trout married Mary Ann Ruth, daughter of Charles Ruth, and to them were born children as follows: Henry, born Aug. 5, 1841, a soldier in the Civil war in Company E., 165th Pa. V. I. m. Catherine Hornberger; James R.; Catherine, born April 2, 1853; George, born Oct. 12, 1862. Catherine died aged twelve years and George aged two years, both at the same time, of typhoid (spotted) fever. Mrs. Trout, who was born March 25, 1821, died March 10, 1894.

James R. Trout was but eight years old when his father removed to the "Five Mile House," Cumru township, and there the boy attended school for sixteen months, this being all the schooling that he ever received, but nevertheless he managed to obtain a good education by studying in his spare moments. When still a mere lad he began to help his father in the tanning business, in which he continued until the elder Trout's death. In 1876 James R. Trout engaged in the stone, lime and sand business, in which he has successfully continued to the present time near Shillington, having nine men in his employ and several teams on the road. He does a large business, burning and selling annually about 60,000 bushels of lime, and he is also engaged extensively in the sale of wall stone and sand. His trade is principally with the contractors, but he also does business in other places in Cumru township.

Mr. Trout is a well-read man, and converses intelligently on important subjects of the day. He is of commanding appearance, tall, erect and well-built. In the fall of 1850, after the great flood of the Schuylkill, he and Thomas Fix were the first from the county to cross the river on the ferry to get into Reading, which city was cut off from the rest of the country west of the river, all of the bridges having been swept away. He was a training officer during the Civil war, was well versed in military tactics, and taught many officers all that they knew, rendering valuable service to his country in its time of need. In politics he is a stanch Republican, and at one time was quite active in public matters. In 1882 he refused the office of internal revenue collector in his district. He is a man of enterprise and public spirit, and when the movement to incorporate Shillington into a borough was brought forward, he was one of its stanchest supporters. He owns a large frame residence on Lancaster avenue, which he built in 1888.

On Dec. 12, 1868, Mr. Trout was married to Sarah Zellers, daughter of Jonas and Catherine (Sallada) Zellers, and granddaughter of William Zellers. Mr. and Mrs. Trout have only one daughter, Maggie T., m. to John F. Weiss, by whom she has two daughters, Helen and Marguerite.


TROUTMAN, FRANK W.

p. 1359

Surnames: TROUTMAN, LEISS, DIETRICH, HOFFMAN, HIMMELBERGER, SCHAEFFER, KURR, KNOLL, FORRER, STUPP, ANSPACH, BECKEY, BROWN, ZELLER, GERHARD, HECKMAN, BRUNNER, BAER, GROFF, ERMENTROUT, RHINE, BOHN, BECKERT, HECHLER, MOYER, MOYER, PEIFFER, BATDORF, MANBECK, KRAUSS, STOUDT, KEENER, WHITE, OXENREIDER, SCHOENER, KINTZER, WEBBER, TRAUTMAN

Frank W. Troutman, of Marion township, has been prominent in public affairs of the township and county for some years, and is now serving in the office of justice of the peace. He was born Jan. 28, 1862, on the old Troutman homestead near Host Church, in Berks county, son of Benjamin and Hannah (Leiss) Troutman.

The Troutman family of Western Berks county had settled prior to the organization of the county in 1752, in Tulpehocken township where the ancestor, Hieronimus Troutman, Oct. 13, 1752, obtained two warrants, each of twenty-five acres of land, located in that part of Lancaster county now embraced in Lebanon county. March 23, 1802, he and Abraham Troutman jointly obtained a warrant for 152.80 acres of land in Northumberland county. The records show that at this time he was a taxable in Tulpehocken township, Berks county, the Pennsylvania Archives recording the following in 1768: "Peter Troutman, eighty acres of land in Tulpehocken; Philip Troutman, 100 acres; Valentine Troutman, six acres; and Michael Troutman, 217 * acres." In 1779 the tax lists show: "Valentine, single-man; John, single-man and tailor, and Peter, weaver," In 1779 Michael Troutman owned 275 acres of land, six horses, six cattle, and paid seven pounds, thirteen shillings tax, showing that he was a large property owner. It is traditional, and records confirm it that Hieronimus Troutman had these sons; Michael, born Nov. 8, 1746, died Nov. 1, 1804, aged fifty-eight years, less seven days; Valentine, born June 17, 1752, died April 19, 1823, aged seventy years, nine months, two days; Johannes, born Feb. 4, 1755, died Dec. 2, 1823, aged sixty-eight years, nine months, twenty-eight days; and Johann Philip, born Aug. 9, 1758, died Feb. 23, 1830, aged seventy-one years, one month, eleven days.

Michael Troutman, the oldest of these brothers, made his will Aug. 3, 1804, and his death occurred about three months later. In it he mentions his wife Susanna, who was to receive the property in Tulpehocken township on which they lived, besides other items. Ample provision was made for her. They had no issue. The rest of Michael Troutman's estate he divided among his brothers, after leaving a bequest to Host Church of twenty pounds, for the care of his grave. He mentions the brothers thus: Valentine, John who had a son Michael, and Philip. Philip was married to Magdalena, a born Troutman, possibly a descendant of Abraham, who was a relative of Hieronimus. She was born Feb. 16, 1753, and died Dec. 29, 1831, aged eighty-one years, ten months, thirteen days. Valentine was also married, and had children, among them was a daughter, Eva Elizabeth, who was born in 1785 and died unmarried in 1804.

All the above Troutmans are buried at Host church, in the old graveyard adjoining it on the southwest. Many of the gravestones are brown sandstones, and the inscriptions on them were deciphered with some difficulty by William J. Dietrich of Reading, and Squire Frank W. Troutman of Stouchsburg. Immediately back of the church is an old sandstone, on which appears the following inscription:

"Eva Elizabeth Troutman Sei ist gaboren den 6 Januar, im yahr 1716, und starb am 1 Januar in yahr 1794. Bracht ehr alter zu 78 yahr, 4 monat, und 3 tag." This possibly was the wife of the ancestor Hieronimus Troutman, and the mother of the sons before mentioned.

Johannes Troutman, son of the ancestor , was born in 1755 and died in 1823. He was married (first) May 13, 1787, to Maria Elizabeth Hoffman, and (second) to Sybilla Himmelberger, who was born Jan. 7, 1774, and died Nov. 29, 1858, aged eighty-four years, ten months, twenty-two days. Among his children were, Michael, the grandfather of Frank W.; John Jacob, born in 1791, who died in 1862, the grandfather of John M. Troutman of Marion township, and Elizabeth, born in 1796, who died in 1866.

Michael Troutman, grandfather of Frank W., was born Aug. 2, 1787, and died July 19, 1840, aged fifty-three years, less thirteen days, being buried at Host Church. He was the original owner of the old Troutman homestead, was a man of enterprise and progressive ideas, and died in comfortable circumstances for that day. He married Susanna Schaeffer, Dec. 28, 1908, and their children were: Benjamin; Eliza m. Jonathan Kurr; Lydia m. Henry Knoll; Rebecca m. Jacob Forrer, and Susanna m. Isaac Stupp.

Benjamin Troutman, father of Frank W., was born on the old homestead, May 13, 1813, and died July 16, 1898, at the home of his son-in-law, John Anspach. He owned the homestead in Marion, and carried on operations there until his retirement twenty-five years prior to his death. He was a Reformed member of Host Church, where he is buried. In politics Mr. Troutman was a strong Democrat, and during war time served as assessor. Mr. Troutman was married to Hannah Leiss, who was born Aug. 10, 1812, and died March 8, 1880, daughter of John Adam and Eva Leiss, and they had these children: Malinda m. Isaac Beckey; Sarah m. George A. Brown; Ezra E. m. Kate Anspach; Rebecca m. Reily W. Zeller; Adam L. m. Isabella Gerhard; Eleanora m. George Heckman; Amelia m. John E. Anspach; Michael B. m. Amelia Himmelberger; and Frank W.

Frank W. Troutman's youth was spent upon the homestead farm, and until his twelfth year he worked for his parents, at this time going out among the farmers of the vicinity, by whom he was employed for six years more. He attended the local schools, and took advantage of every opportunity to gain an education, and when nineteen years old was licensed to teach in the public schools of Berks county, by the late Prof. D. B. Brunner. He taught two terms in Marion township, and one term in Tulpehocken, the latter being under the administration of Prof. S. A. Baer. After completing this experience as an educator, Mr. Troutman learned the trades of house painting and paper hanging, which he has followed to the present time in his immediate community.

A Democrat of the Jeffersonian type, Mr. Troutman has been active in his party's ranks since attaining his majority. His first official position was that of township assessor, an office in which he served for fifteen consecutive years, during the first six years of which the office of tax collector was included with that of assessor. During this time Mr. Troutman served to the utmost satisfaction of all the parties concerned, and in all the years had not one complaint nor appeal. He was fair, impartial and just to all. In 1904 George L. Groff, the only justice in the district, died, and Mr. Troutman was persuaded by his friends, both in the Democratic and Republican parties, to allow the use of his name as Mr. Groff's successor. He was subsequently appointed in May, 1904, by a Republican governor, and in the following February, he was elected by the people to serve the full term of five years. Judge Troutman is very popular in Marion and the surrounding townships. In his official capacity of justice of the peace, he is actually a peace-maker, and his intelligent and persuasive arguments have in many cases influenced the disputing parties to settle their differences amicably. Kind and open-hearted, honest and upright, he has won the confidence of his fellow-townsmen, who respect and esteem him for his many sterling traits of character. On a number of occasions Mr. Troutman has been a delegate to county conventions, and he assisted in the nomination of Hon. James N. Ermentrout to the judgeship. He is a member of the Ancient Order of Good Fellows, No. 42, of Stouchsburg, where he has twice gone through the chairs; and of the P. O. S. of A., Lodge No. 237, of the same town, in which he has been serving as financial secretary since 1898. He also belongs to Reading Encampment No. 1, Patriotic Americans.

On Feb. 5, 1874, Mr. Troutman was married to Isabella C. Rhine, daughter of Jacob and Susanna (Bohn) Rhine. Mr. and Mrs. Troutman have had no children of their own, but have two foster children, both the offspring of Mrs. Eleanor Beckert, Katie L. Hechler and O. F. Moyer. With his family Mr. Troutman attends Host St. John's Church, in which he has been deacon and elder, and is now serving as trustee.

John M. Troutman, a well-known farmer and representative citizen of Marion township, where he is now cultivating a fine farm, was born on the Troutman homestead, June 8, 1847, son of John and Susanna (Moyer) Troutman.

John Jacob Troutman, grandfather of John M., was born on the Troutman homestead, May 18, 1791, and there his death occurred March 6, 1862, aged seventy years, nine months, sixteen days. Susan Peiffer, his wife, was born Jan. 21, 1793, and died Sept. 17, 1866, and both are buried at Host church, of which they were members of the German Reformed denomination. Their children were: William: Augustus; Jacob; John; Susanna m. Elias Batdorf; Leah m. Stophel Batdorf; Eliza m. Jacob Manbeck; Sybilla m. Jacob Krauss; and a daughter whose name is not remembered.

John Troutman, the father of John M., was born on the Troutman homestead, Jan. 27, 1815, and died May 9, 1898, aged eighty-three years, three months, twelve days, being buried at Host church, of which he was a deacon, elder and trustee. He was a lifelong farmer and owned the homestead at the "Summer Hill" in Tulpehocken. In politics he was a Jacksonian Democrat and served his district as school director and supervisor for many years, being well-known and highly esteemed throughout the township. He married Susanna Moyer, who was born May 19, 1808, and died Aug. 15, 1863, and they had these children: Isaac, Daniel, George; John M.; Mary m. William Stoudt; Leah m. Joseph Keener, and Eve m. a Mr. White.

John M. Troutman's educational advantages were somewhat limited in his youth, but he has educated himself, and is conversant with all the topics of the day. Until twenty-five years of age he remained under the parental roof, and he then spent two years in farming in Marion township, whence he removed to the homestead in Tulpehocken township, where he remained five years. In 1879 he located in Marion township, and here he has made his home ever since. He successfully conducted the Hill farm for many years and in 1907 he purchased the Frank Oxenreider stand in the eastern end of Marion township, a farm consisting of fifty acres of good, fertile land. The farm is supplied with good water, contains a heavy bearing orchard of all kinds of fruit, and is supplied with fine, substantial buildings. This farm he took possession of in the spring of 1908. Mr. Troutman's interests have not been given entirely to farming, as for many years he has been engaged in the huckstering business, dealing in country produce, poultry and calves the year round. He has regular customers in Pottsville and New York, with whom he has done business for a number of years. He is an enterprising and successful business man, and he stands high in the esteem of his fellow-men. With his family he belongs to the Reformed denomination of the Host Union Church, in which he has served as deacon, elder and trustee for many years.

In 1872 John M. Troutman was united in marriage with Miss Agnes Schoener, the estimable daughter of Andrew and Mary (Kintzer) Schoener, and to them the following children have been born: Mary m. Walter Webber; Katie m. Charles Trautman; Eva m. Oliver Schoener; Agnes m. Samuel Schoener; Herbert, John, Elsie and Laura - all are single and reside at home with their parents; Harry died of scarlet fever; and Charles met an accidental death when nineteen years old.

In his political views Mr. Troutman is a Democrat, but he has never aspired to public office, although he takes a lively interest in the progressive movements incorporated in his township, and is ready at all times to assist in the same.

NOTE:

(Barbara mihalcik@hotmail.com):
(Additional Surnames: KLEIN/KLINE, BUCHACKER, RIEHL, BASHORE, SONTAG, ADAM, STRUPHAUER, BRENEISER, REBMAN, WERTMAN, LANDIS)

"The Trautman Troutman Family 1598-1998" by Eric H. Troutman (Masthof Press, 1998) gives this information: page 5: Hieronimus Trautmann, b. ca Jan. 1708, Schriesheim, Germany . son of Philipp Trautmann and Anna Dorothea Buchacker; page 61: Johannes Trautmann, b. Nov. 30, 1713, in Schriesheim, Germany . son of Philipp Trautmann and Anna Dorothea Buchacker. On page 554 are given the children of Johann Jacob Trautman and Susanna Peiffer: Cathrina, John, Magdalena, Sybilla, Margaret, Susanna, Lea, Sara, John Jacob, Elizabetha, Phillip, William and Augustus. William Troutman 14 Feb 1831-13 Feb 1865 married Diana Riehl. Both are buried in Rehrersburg. Their daughter, Sarah Susan Troutman, married John Daniel Frantz, son of Athens and Anna Kline Frantz, grandson of Henry and Catherine Klein Frantz, great-grandson of Matthias and Elizabeth Bashore Frantz. Anna Kline was the daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth Sontag Kline, granddaughter of Philip and Elizabeth Adam Kline. Catherine Klein was the daughter of Rev. Benjamin and Elizabeth Struphauer Klein, granddaughter of Rev. David and Anna Elizabeth Breneiser Klein and great-granddaughter of Elder George and Dorothea Rebman Klein. John Daniel and Sarah Susan Troutman Frantz moved to Montgomery County and they are buried in Trappe, Montgomery County, PA. John Jacob Troutman 29 Jan 1826-2 Apr 1897 married Redosa Wertman, daughter of Samuel and Rebecca Trautman Wertman. They are both buried in Rehrersburg. Their son John Walter Troutman also moved to Montgomery County; he married Sarah Freed Landis, and they are both buried in Trappe, Montgomery County PA.


TROXEL, JOHN E.

p. 1247

Surnames: TROXEL, ESHELMAN, SCHNABEL, STRUNK, CAMPFIELD, BOYER, YOCOM, HINNERSHITZ, HAAS, HERTZOG

John E. Troxel, a representative citizen of Exeter township, who is serving as justice of the peace, was born June 1, 1859 in Exeter township, son of Samuel and Annie (Eshelman) Troxel.

William Troxel, the grandfather of John E., was a shoemaker by trade, and also owned a small farm in Cumru township, where he died at the age of forty-five years, in the faith of the Reformed Church. He and his wife, a Miss Schnabel, had these children: Samuel; John; William; Aaron; Levi; Elias; Sarah, m. Benjamin Strunk; Mary, m. Martin Campfield; and Elizabeth, m. a Mr. Boyer.

Samuel Troxel was born in 1810, on the Yocum farm in Cumru township, was educated in the public schools, and was a farmer all of his life in Exeter township, where he died in 1880. Politically a Republican, he was religiously connected with Spies's Reformed Church, of which he was a deacon and trustee, and was very active in church work. Mr. Troxel married Annie Eshelman, daughter of Francis and Elizabeth R. Eshelman, and she died in 1878, at the age of sixty-two years. They had eleven children, of whom the following grew to maturity: Mary, the widow of John Hinnershitz, of Reading; Franklin, a farmer of Exeter township; Sarah, m. Adam Haas, of Reading; William, a farmer of Muhlenberg township; John E.; Elizabeth, who died unmarried at the age of thirty-three years; Henry, and Isaac, farmers of Exeter township; and Albert, who died in 1903, at the age of thirty-one years.

John E. Troxel was educated in the public schools of Exeter township, and the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown. At the age of eighteen years he began teaching in Spring township, where he spent one term, then taught for two terms in Alsace township, and for twenty-four terms has taught in Exeter township--twenty-two in his home district, Woodville. His name as an educator was known not only in his own township, but throughout Berks county, where as an earnest worker in the cause of education he is respected and esteemed. He also owns and operates a forty acre tract of good farm land adjoining the school where he has been master for so long. Prof. Troxel, who has always been active in the ranks of the Democratic party, was first elected to the office of justice of the peace in 1895, and twice re-elected to that position since that time. He has also been a delegate to State and county conventions on numerous occasions. Fraternally he is connected with Gibraltar Camp No. 492, P. O. S. of A., the K. G. E., St. Lawrence, No. 592, and Neversink Camp, M. W. of A. He is a member of the Reformed Church and for eighteen years he was superintendent of the Sunday-school at Lorane, where he is now assistant.

In 1883 Prof. Troxel was married to Sarah Hertzog, daughter of Jacob and Hannah Hertzog, of Exeter township, and to this union there were born children as follows: Carrie A., who died at the age of seven years; Hannah G., a teacher in the public schools of Exeter township, being now engaged for a fourth term at Lorane; Walter, at the Keystone State Normal school; Estella, at home; Arthur; Earl; Venus; Howard, and Lester.


TURNER, AMOS

p. 1272

Surnames: TURNER, GODLEY, RICHARDS, LORD, JONES, MORRIS, LUDWIG, KOHLER, KERST, BUSH, DONNELLY, RUSSELL, HALLMAN, REIFSNYDER, ANTRIM, SHARP, EAGLE, GREEN, UPDEGROVE, YOST, WARLEY, STUBBLEBINE, LACHMAN

Amos Turner, master mechanic of Lehigh Valley Railroad Company for ten years, residing at Easton, Pa., was born at Douglassville, Amity township, Berks county. He was educated in the local schools. When quite a small boy, he displayed remarkable skill in mechanism and devoted many of his boyhood days in his father's wheelwright shop to make small wagons. His youthful efforts in this direction caused the loss of part of the left forefinger, but undaunted he continued his efforts, and before he was thirteen years old had succeeded in turning out a boy's four-wheeled wagon, and admittedly the largest, handsomest and best sled in use in those days. His generosity in permitting all the boys and girls to use his sled made him a great favorite with his associates.

After quitting school, in 1864, he entered the service of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company as an apprentice in their shops at South Easton, to learn the trade of machinist. Soon after completing his apprenticeship he was appointed as one of the foremen in the shop, and later transferred to Perth Amboy, N. J., to take charge of the shop at that place; but he continued there for only a short time, the company appreciating his unusual ability and success and selecting him to be general foreman of the shop at Easton. In 1899 he was promoted to the position of master mechanic and this responsible position he has filled in a most successful manner until the present time. His period of service--upward of forty-five years--exceeds that of any other officer now in active service.

Mr. Turner took a very prominent part in the municipal affairs of South Easton for a number of years. After having served as a councilman he officiated as the chief burgess from 1887 to 1891; also in 1893 and 1897. The school affairs also received his active support. In 1896 he became a member of the school board, and during that year the board erected a large and commodious building which was named the "Asa Packer"

school. Mr. Turner, as chairman of the building committee, selected the name in appreciation of the enterprise and generosity of the former president of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company and founder of Lehigh University. It was while Mr. Turner was serving his last term as chief burgess that consolidation of South Easton with Easton was earnestly advocated, and it was mainly through his influence that it was accomplished in June 1898.

In 1870 Mr. Turner married Anna Vanderbilt Godley, daughter of William V. and Anna Godley, of Williams township, Northampton county, and they have two children: Sarah (married to Dr. Oscar M. Richards, of Easton) and Newton Russell (attorney at Easton, city solicitor, and United States commissioner). He and his family have been devoted members of Trinity P. E. Church at Easton during his residence there, and he has served as a vestryman of the congregation for a number of years. He has affiliated with the Freemasons there since 1874 as a member of Easton Lodge, No. 152.

Peter Turner, his father, was born April 10, 1800, near Hopewell Furnace, in Union township, Berks county. He was left an orphan when only a year old, and brought up by his mother's parents and his uncle, Absalom Lord. When quite young, he was apprenticed to a Mr. Jones, in Douglassville, to learn the wheelwright's trade, and he continued with Mr. Jones until he attained his majority: then he started in business on his own account and carried it on quite successfully for about thirty years, employing several men and giving them steady work. The demand for heavy wagons, such as he built and repaired, gradually decreased in that section of the country along the Schuylkill Valley after the railroad had begun to transport all kinds of merchandise, and he having combined farming with wheelwrighting he discontinued his trade about 1850 and devoted his time entirely to farming until 1865. He had served as a school director of the township for a number of years, and at the time of his death was a vestryman of St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church. For many years he was recognized as one of the most active members of the congregation, and it was principally through his efforts that a parsonage was erected in 1858. He was twice married, first to Margaret Ludwig, youngest daughter of John and Rachel (Morris) Ludwig, of Cumru township. She died in May, 1841, the mother of the following children: Louisa m. John Kohler; Catharine m. John C. Kerst; Caroline m. Henry Bush (she died in 1901); Emeline died in 1837; Lewis died in 1908; Rachel and Ellen reside at Douglasville; Cyrus L. resides at Allentown. In December, 1842, Peter Turner married Mrs. Sarah Donnelly, widow of George Donnelly, of West Chester, and second daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Russell. By this marriage there were four children: Elizabeth died in childhood; Amos is mentioned above; Newton Russell is mentioned above; Annie m. H. Hallman, of Pottstown. The mother, Sarah Turner, died in February, 1901, in her eighty-eighth year, at Pottstown, and is buried in St. Gabriel's Church Cemetery, Douglasville.

The grandfather, also named Peter, married Elizabeth Lord (sister of Absalom, Thomas, Joseph and Joshua), and Peter was their only child. The grandfather died in 1801. The ancestors of the Lords came from England, as did also the ancestors of Peter Turner, grandfather.

Mr. Turner's mother by her first marriage had one son, James Russell Donnelly, named after his great-grandfather. James Russell. He was born at West Chester, Pa., in 1834, entered the service of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company with its engineer corps in 1853, and continued in its service, advancing step by step, until he became superintendent. He died in 1903. Mr. Turner's brother, Newton R., served twenty-six years in the traffic department of different railroads (as appears in his sketch); Cyrus L. is now passenger train conductor on the Perkiomen railroad, having been in the continuous service of that company since October, 1873; and Lewis Turner's two sons are both locomotive engineers, John with the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company, and James with the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company. A nephew of Mr. Turner, John T. Kerst, was with the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company from 1883 to 1890; but he is now at Reading. Amos Turner's grandfather, Joseph Russell, was a native of Union township, Berks county, and for many years carried on the manufacture of gun-barrels and coffeemill hoppers. In the war of 1812-15 he served as a corporal in the company of Capt. Jonathon Jones. He died in 1862, aged seventy-five years. He married Elizabeth Reifsnyder (daughter of Peter, of Montgomery county), and had nine children: Mary (m. Henry Antrim, of Mount Holly, N. J.); Sarah (m. Peter Turner); Washington (who became a sea-faring man); Peter (m. Sarah Sharp, of Wilkes-Barre, and became a prominent Episcopal rector at Mauch Chunk); George; Elizabeth (the only one now living, widow of Samuel Eagle, of Douglassville); Catharine (died when two years old); and James (died at the age of six years, nine months).

Mr. Turner's great-grandfather, James Russell, emigrated with his father, Thomas Russell, from Scotland on account of religious persecution about 1780,and located in the upper section of Chester county in the vicinity of Hopewell Furnace, where he married a widow, Mrs. Green (nee Updegrove).

His great-grandfather Peter Reifsnyder was a farmer of the upper section of Philadelphia county (afterward Montgomery), and served in the Revolution. He married Catharine Yost and they had six children: Philip, Andrew, Mary (m. Peter Bush), Elizabeth (m. Joseph Russell), Catharine (m. Jonas Warley, and Frances (m. Andrew Stubblebine). His first wife having died, he married Barbara Lachman and by her had ten children: Peter, Benjamin, John Joseph, Charles, Tobias, Moses, Jacob, Rebecca and Harriet.


TURNER, NEWTON RUSSELL

p. 1272

Surnames: TURNER, McKENTY, HALLMAN

Newton Russell Turner, of Pottstown, Pa., was born at Douglassville, Amity township, Berks county. Picture of Newton Russell TurnerHe attended the local common and private schools, and he was in the old eight-cornered school-house at Douglassville on Tuesday morning, Feb. 16, 1864, when his brother Cyrus (who was the chief clerk and salesman in the general store of Henry McKenty) walked into the room at Mr. McKenty's request and urged him to leave school and accept a position in the store. It was considered an honor in those days in that locality for a boy to secure a position with Mr. McKenty, because he was then the recognized leading man of affairs in the neighborhood, having had an up-to-date general store, retail coal yard, been freight, ticket and express agent and owner of the railroad station, treasurer of the Schuylkill Bridge Company at Douglassville, and owner of tenement houses and valuable real estate there; and no ambitious boy would have refused such an offer. The position having come to him unsolicited he, as a matter of course, accepted, left the school-room, and entered the store as clerk and salesman without going home to consult his parents until noon, when he obtained their approval. He was there three months when Mr. McKenty, in May, 1864, selected him to assist in looking after the increasing business of the railroad station, and he continued in the station at Douglassville as clerk, performing the duties of station agent from July 4, 1864, until Mr. McKenty sold the station, including the coal yard, in 1867, when he entered the freight and ticket office of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company at Bridgeport, Pa., remaining there five months.

Later he filled the following positions with this company: station agent at Royersford; clerk in freight office at Reading; clerk in freight and ticket office at Pottsville; May 15, 1873, appointed station agent and later general agent at Williamsport; March, 1877, transferred to the general freight agent's office in Philadelphia, and three years later appointed division general freight agent, which last position he resigned in 1886. He then devoted much of his time to travel, visiting many places on the Pacific coast, the Yosemite Valley, the Rocky Mountain region (including Yellowstone National Park), Salt Lake City, the Great Mammoth Cave in Kentucky, and other prominent places of interest in this country and Canada.

In 1882 Mr. Turner was elected secretary of the General Freight Agents' Association of the Middle States and was re-elected annually for three years. In 1885 he assisted in organizing the Freight Traffic Association of the Middle States (successor to the organization mentioned), was elected secretary, and continued to hold this position until 1890. In 1887, at Niagara Falls, he helped to organize the General Freight Agents' Mutual Aid Society, and became its first secretary; and he continued to be the secretary until 1890, when he severed his connection with the railroad, though he continued to be (and is still) a contributing member of the society.

In 1889 and 1890 Mr. Turner was the general freight and passenger agent of the Central New England & Western Railroad Company (Poughkeepsie Bridge Route), with an office in Poughkeepsie. In 1891 he entered the employ of the Pottstown Iron Company, and he remained with the company until 1895, when he purchased the Sunbury Iron Works at Sunbury, operating them successfully until May 30, 1902, when they were totally destroyed by fire. He then resumed his residence in Pottstown, making his home with his sister (Mrs. Francis H. Hallman), and here he has continued until the present time, being principally engaged in private real estate transactions. He takes especial interest in looking after his improved properties, which he keeps in the best repair, not permitting them to depreciate because of neglect.

While at Philadelphia Mr. Turner became a member of the Union League in 1880 and he has continued his membership until the present time. In 1896 he was elected an active life member, and he has kept up his active interest in this prominent patriotic and social organization by going there frequently, notwithstanding his residence at Pottstown. Being interested in historical subjects, Mr. Turner has also become an active member of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia.

Mr. Turner has been a member of the Masonic fraternity for thirty years, and is a life member of the Crescent Boat Club of Philadelphia. He was one of the organizers and is still a member of the Colonial Club, and also of the Automobile Club, of Pottstown. While a young man at Douglassville he identified himself with St. Gabriel's Protestant Episcopal Church. (For antecedents, see sketch of brother, Amos Turner, following.)

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:57:28 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.