Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

STRUNK FAMILY

p. 476

Surnames: STRUNK, STRUNCK, SAILER, GINDER, KNABB, KLINE, HAWS, KOONS, RUTLEDGE, SNYDER, GLASSMOYER, DUNKLE, BRENHEISER, REIFF, HERBEIN, HOCH, MOYER, CLEAVER, KIEFFER, DE TURCK, HARTMAN, FISHER, SCHAEFFER, LIVINGOOD, DWIGHT, HOECKLY

Strunk-Strunck. A Strunck family lived, as is supposed from all accounts, in Upper Engelheim, in what is termed Rhine Prussia, on the west side of the river Rhine on or near the river Moselle, between the towns of Trier and Coblentz, about 50 degrees north latitude and about 7 degrees east longitude, from Greenwich. This family left two sons, Andrum and John Wyant. Andrum died in 1714.

(I) John (Johan) Wyant Strunck, the ancestor who founded this old family in Berks county, was born in 1693. He came to America in the ship "Phoenix," landing at Philadelphia Oct. 20, 1744. There were 104 passengers on board this ship. Coming on to Berks county, he settled in Heidelberg township, engaged in farming, and was successful in tilling the soil. He reared a large family to follow in his footsteps, and his descendants reside in that section of Berks county as well as in the southeastern part, and are numbered among the most representative people of this portion of the Keystone State. Johan Wyant Strunck spent his last years at the home of his son Lorentz, where he died April 26, 1783, and is buried on the Strunck private burial-ground in Amity township, now almost entirely destroyed, on land formerly owned by Jacob Strunk.

(II) Lorentz Strunck, son of Johan, was the first of the name to locate in Amity township. He, too, was a farmer, and is buried probably in the private burial-ground. One of his sons was Jacob.

(III) Jacob Strunck was a resident of Amity township. He was born Aug. 18, 1761, and died Nov. 1, 1828, aged sixty-seven years, two months, thirteen days. He owned and lived on the farm which is now the property of Franklin Sailer. This was the old Strunck homestead in Amity. He was twice married. On Sept. 4, 1792, he married Maria Kutz, and of the eleven children of this union, one died in infancy. He married (second) Caroline Ginder, who came from Germany and was first married to a Mr. Knabb. By her marriage with Mr. Strunck she had one son and one daughter: Samuel and Caroline (m. Elam Kline a farmer of Exeter township, who died and is buried at Schwartzwald Church). Jacob Strunck and his wife are buried side by side in the north corner of the old burial ground at Amityville Church.

(IV) Amos K. Strunck, youngest son of Jacob and Maria (Kutz) Strunck, was born Nov. 9, 1812, in Amity township. He came to the vicinity of Boyertown, Berks county, at an early age. He married Amelia B. Haws, daughter of John V. R. Haws, and they had five children, three girls and two boys. Amos K. Strunck took an active interest in public affairs. From historical records it appears that he held official positions in town, township and county for a period of forty years. He held a commission as justice of the peace for about twenty years in Boyertown. He also published a book of all the persons who held office in Berks county from 1752 to 1860. This work required a great amount of patient research and an accuracy that could challenge criticism. The citizens of the county did not fully appreciate the value of his services, but he found much pleasure in the compilation, because it added much value to the history of the county in which he spent nearly his whole life.

(V) Oliver H. Strunck, youngest son of Amos K. and Amelia B., was born in New Berlinville, Berks county, Nov. 8, 1847. Unlike his father he did not remain in Berks county, but at an early age traveled over the country so that he had the advantage of seeing at least fifteen of the states in the United States. He came back to Berks county at the age of about twenty-three. He attended the Mr. Pleasant Academy, in Boyertown, of which L. M. Koons was principal. Here he prepared for Franklin and Marshall College, at Lancaster, and was graduated from that College in 1877, as valedictorian of his class. In the fall of the same year he entered the Reformed Theological Seminary at Lancaster, and graduate from that Institution in 1880. He was ordained a minister in the Reformed Church at Bloomsburg, Pa., in the same year. He was called to the Bloomsburg charge and served as their minister four years and a half. He resigned the charge to become the pastor of St. John's Reformed Church at Schuylkill Haven, Pa., and he entered upon his work there Dec. 15, 1884, and has served this congregation for nearly twenty-five years. The membership in church and Sunday school, and the benevolence of the people have about doubled in this period. He is the only minister of the gospel in the Strunck family. He married Josephine L. Rutledge, of Lancaster, Pa. They had five children, two of whom are living, the son in New York City and the daughter at home.


(IV) Samuel Strunk, son of Jacob and Caroline (Ginder), was born in Amity township in 1825, and died in 1889. He is buried at Schwartzwald Church in Exeter township. By occupation he was a farmer, and he owned a farm of thirty-five acres in Exeter township. Samuel Strunck was a prominent Democrat, held the office of poor director for Berks county from 1873 to 1876, was supervisor, tax collector, assessor (for thirty-six consecutive years) and school director of his township, and tried to carry out his ideas of good citizenship in every way. He married Maria Snyder (daughter of Samuel Snyder), and Mrs. Samuel Strunk had these children: Jacob S. is mentioned below; Caroline, widow of Peter Glassmoyer, lives at Reading, and has two children, Cora S. (of Reading) and Howard S. (of Springfield, Mo.); Mary, now of Reading, married David F. Dunkle, and has two children, Maria S. and Robert S. Dunkle, of Reading; Ammon S. is mentioned below; Samuel S., of Kansas City, was a farmer, but in 1907 sold his farm and now lives retired (he has had three children, Frank R., George R. and Emma R., deceased); Henry S. is mentioned below.

This old and representative family is worthy of all honor. Its representatives are not only well known throughout Berks county, but are also to be found among the substantial people in various parts of the country.

(V) Jacob S. Strunk was born July 11, 1847, in Exeter township, and was reared upon his father's farm. He alternated going to school and working for his parents until he was eighteen years of age. In 1869 he became foreman of construction on the Oley turnpike, and was thus employed for four years. In 1873 he commenced farming on his own account on the Charles Brenheiser farm in Exeter township. In 1876 he went to the Amos Reiff property, which he farmed three years, and then coming to Oley settled on the Jacob Herbein farm, of 135 acres, where he remained for thirteen years, and then bought the old Samuel Hoch farm, one mile west of Griesemersville, near Limekiln post-office. Here he has since lived, although in the spring of 1907 he retired from active life. The farm is a fine property, consisting of 135 acres of the most fertile land in the Oley Valley. The barn, 98 feet long, was built in 1823 by Samuel and Elizabeth Hoch, who also built the big stone house, in 1808. Politically Mr. Strunk is a Democrat, and was school director of Oley township for six years. He and his family belong to the Reformed denomination.

In 1870 Mr. Strunk married Lucy Herbein, daughter of Isaac and Susan (Moyer) Herbein, of Exeter township. She died in 1905. They had these children: Sarah Ann m. Charles Cleaver, and died in 1901; Mary m. Edward Kieffer, of Reading; Deborah m. Solomon De Turck, of Oley township; Samuel m. Clara Hartman, and lives in Exeter township; Emma m. Charles Cleaver; Hannah m. James Fisher, who farms his father-in-law's farm in Oley township; Grover, unmarried, resides at home and is now a student attending school; Laura is unmarried.

(V) Ammon S. Strunk was born May 25, 1854, in Exeter township, and there spent his early life working on his father's farm, during the busy season also working for neighboring farmers. He received his education in the local common schools, which he attended during the winter time, and later taught school, doing excellent work in that profession in his young manhood. He graduated from the Lock Haven State Normal School in 1878. Later he was a valuable public servant, having been appointed census enumerator in 1880; in 1881 he was appointed deputy sheriff; in 1883 became deputy to the clerk of the Orphans' court; in 1884 was elected register of wills, serving a term of three years in that office. While in this office he registered as a law student in the office of D. Nicholas Schaeffer, Esq., and later was admitted to the Bar.

In 1904, while in the midst of a contest for the nomination for county controller, Mr. Strunk was stricken with paralysis. Though confined in the hospital and unable to direct his campaign personally, his friends almost succeeded in securing him the nomination under his powerful leadership and political sagacity. However, an independent candidate, Dr. H. F. Livingood, was elected by 4,088 majority over the regular nominee--something that had never happened in the "Gibraltar of Democracy." He died March 16, 1905, thus ending a short but strenuous life.

(V) Henry S. Strunk is a native of Exeter township, born March 16, 1864, and began his education in the "Old Hill School" in that township. He was only sixteen years old when licensed to teach, and in three terms of teaching in his native township, and by such other opportunities for work as are open to sons of farmers, he saved sufficient money to enable him to take a course at the Keystone State Normal School, at Kutztown, from which he was graduated in 1885.

In the fall of the same year his brother, Ammon S. Strunk, appointed him deputy register of wills, and he remained in the office for sixteen consecutive years, during three of which--1891-92-93--he filled the office of register with signal credit and ability. Resigning the position of deputy register of wills in the fall of 1901, Mr. Strunk accepted a position as teller in the Neversink Bank of Reading, then being organized. He served in this position until October, 1908, when he was elected cashier of the bank. By virtue of his able service in the various positions of trust he has filled, Mr. Strunk is well and favorably known throughout the county.

On April 6, 1896, Mr. Strunk married Sarah Trimble Dwight, a daughter of Francis G. and Ida (Hoeckly) Dwight, of Reading. To this union have been born three children: Grace D., Blanche D. and Henry D.


STRUNK, JOHN M.

p. 1016

Surnames: STRUNK, MILLER, GARTY, GOOD, KISSINGER, WEINHOLD, CHRISTIAN

John M. Strunk, senior member of the well-known coal, flour and feed firm of Strunk & Son, with main office at Fifth and Woodward streets, Reading, Pa., was born Feb. 20, 1839, in Cumru township, Berks county, at the present site of Mohnsville, son of Daniel Strunk, and grandson of William Strunk. The latter was a soldier in 1814 in the second war with England and died at Baltimore, Maryland.

In the latter years of his life Daniel Strunk was a farmer in Cumru township, but in his youth he was engaged in making gun-barrels at Mohnsville. He died at Reading, in the sixty-sixth year of his age, and was interred in the Charles Evans cemetery, at Reading. Mr. Strunk married (first) Rebecca Miller, daughter of John Miller, also of Berks county, and she died at the age of thirty-seven years. He married (second) Catharine Garty. Mr. Strunk was the father of the following children: William, who died at the age of eleven; John M; Amelia, who m. Daniel Good, and lives in West Reading; Miss Catharine, of Reading; George, who died aged four years: Cyrus, who died at the age of forty-five years; Frank, who died aged three years; and Harriet, who died at the age of thirty-seven Picture of John M. StrunkJohn M. Strunk was educated in the public schools, after leaving which he was engaged in farming until he attained his majority. At this time he learned the milling trade, which he followed for a period of nine years, at the end of which time he came to Reading, and in 1869 established his present business, first locating at Eighth and Cherry streets, on the present site of A. N. Kissinger's storage warehouse. He remained on that property for about twenty years and then came to his present location on the northeast corner of Fifth and Woodward streets, where he has been successful. He owns and operates one of the finest farms in the county, located at Lorane Station, in Exeter township, consisting of 121 acres of land, well improved with good buildings. He is also the owner of valuable real estate in the city of Reading.

Mr. Strunk married Catharine A., daughter of Isaac Weinhold, and they reside at No. 441 Woodward street. Their children are: (1) D. Webster is married and has one daughter, Lillian C.; he resides in Reading. (2) Anna M. is at home. (3) J. Arthur is chairman of Strunk & Moyer, Limited, and is the active member of the firm of Strunk & Son, of which he became a member in 1901. He married Elizabeth M. Christian and has one daughter, Catharine C. and they reside at No. 826 North Fourth street, Reading.


STRUNK, MILTON R.

p. 956

Surnames: STRUNK, BOYER, LATSCHAR, SCHULTZ, READER/ROEDER, WEBB, BREISCH, CLYMER.

Milton R. Strunk, general factory superintendent of the large Boyertown Casket Company, Boyertown, Pa., was born in Milford township, Upper Bucks county, Pa., March 2, 1859, son of Daniel Strunk, and grandson of Christian.

Peter Strunk, the great-grandfather of Milton R., married Susanna _______ , and they had two children: Christian, who is mentioned below; and Heinrich, born Nov. 8, 1803, died Jan. 14, 1866, married Rebecca Boyer (1808-1900). They were Mennonites and are buried in the Hereford Mennonite Meeting House cemetery.

Christian Strunk was born in Berks county May 16, 1802, and at his death April 19, 1838, was buried at the Mennonite Meeting House at Bally. He followed farming, and had a good farm in Washington township, Berks county. He was accidentally killed at Allentown by the running away of his team. In religious faith he was a Mennonite. He married Barbara Latschar, who was born Feb. 20, 1798, and who died Oct. 9, 1891, in her ninety fourth year, and was buried at Bally Meeting House. Their children were: John, 1825-1838; Hannah, born Nov. 22, 1827; Susanna and Peter, twins, born Oct. 21, 1829; Maria, 1831-1834; and Daniel, born Jan. 17, 1834. Christian Strunk had a sister who married Henry Schultz, of Kraussdale, Montgomery county, Pennsylvania.

Daniel Strunk, son of Christian, was born in Washington township, Berks county, Jan. 17, 1834, and his death occurred Aug. 2, 1905. He is buried at Aulenbach's cemetery at Reading. By occupation he was a shoemaker, and for a number of years carried on that trade in South Bethlehem, Pa., later moving to Reading, where he died. He married Anna Reader (also spelled Roeder), born April 5, 1833, daughter of John Reader, of Bucks county. He died at East Greenville, and is buried at New Goshenhoppen Church. To Daniel Strunk and wife were born the following children: Edwin, of Reading; Adeanianna, who married Richard Webb, of Bethlehem, Pa.; Milton R.; Cornelius, of Boyertown; Emma Jane, who died in infancy; and Laura, who died aged six years.

Milton R. Strunk, son of Daniel, attended the common schools of his district, and at the age of eighteen began learning the carriage builder's trade at Spinnerstown, Bucks county. This engaged his attention for sixteen years. In the fall of 1893 he became general superintendent of the Boyertown Casket Company, a position in which he is still employed. In 1892-1893 he came to Boyertown, and in 1905 he built a modern home on North Reading avenue.

Mr. Strunk is a broad-minded businessman, and is a man of large business capacity. When he took charge of the casket factory there were employed only about forty men, and now the number is over three hundred. It is the leading industry in lower Berks county.

On Jan. 31, 1880, Mr. Strunk married Catharine C. Breisch, daughter of William and Barbara (Clymer) Breisch. of Milford township, Bucks county. They have no children of their own, but have an adopted daughter, Sadie. Mr. and Mrs. Strunk are members of the Reformed Church of the Good Shepherd and he has served it in official capacity. They are highly esteemed in the community.


STUMP FAMILY

p. 679

Surnames: STUMP, MAURER, KLINGEMAN, EBERT, HANDWORK, HEINTZLEMAN, LEIBENSPERGER, FETHEROLF, KIEFER, HENGEY, BRENTZINGER, DE LONG, HEFFNER, SWOYER, SHOFER

The Stump family, now represented in Maxatawny township, Berks county, by Calvin S. Stump, a successful teacher in he public schools, and Jacob H. Stump, his brother, a leading undertaker, is one of the oldest in this part of the State.

(1) Henry George Stump emigrated from his home in Germany when he was twenty-eight years of age, crossing the Atlantic on the ship "Edinburgh" and landing at Philadelphia, Oct. 2, 1753. A land warrant dated Sept. 4, 1754 shows that George Stump purchased from Philip Maurer a tract of 200 acres (by estimation) of land, located in Albany township, Berks county, for 575 pounds "of lawful money to him in hand given." This warrant which appears in Deed Book 7, Page 12, was not recorded until Nov. 6, 1778. In 1759 when the first tax of Albany township was levied, William Stump paid five pounds; and Daniel Stump is given on the same list as being under twenty-one years old. These two, William and Daniel, may have been sons of the emigrant, Henry George; but of two of his sons, John and Henry, there is definite record.

(II) John Stump, son of Henry George, had four sons, Jonas, Samuel, Daniel and Amos, and these all settled down to pioneer life in Albany township.

(III) Jonas Stump, son of John, became the father of three sons, Benjamin, Samuel and Henry.

(IV) Henry Stump, son of Jonas, was born in Albany township, Jan. 6, 1825, and died in Lynn township, Lehigh county., Oct. 23, 1890, where for some time he had been engaged in farming. He married Rachel Klingeman, daughter of Michael Klingeman, and they had children as follows; Emanuel; John K.; Elias P. m. Alice Ebert; Emma m. Moses Handwork, and died at Kutztown, Oct 3, 1907; James died aged twenty-eight years; Daniel m. Jane Heintzleman; and Mary died aged thirty years.

(V) John K. Stump, son of Henry, was born in Albany township, Berks county, Nov. 25, 1853. He is one of the best known residents of Maxatawny township where he resides in a pleasant home built by himself on Park avenue, Kutztown, adjoining the home of his son, Calvin S. In building this home Jr. Stump made use of the lumber of the historic old "Watch Haus" which was erected prior to 1760 on his grandfather's property in Albany township as a protection for the pioneer settlers against the Indians. By trade John K. Stump is a carpenter, and at this he has worked all his life with the exception of about fifteen years which he devoted to farming. At the present time he is interested in the manufacture of cement building blocks. In 1875 he married Catherine Leibensperger, daughter of Jacob and Caroline (Fetherolf) Leibensperger, granddaughter of Jonathan Liebensperger, and great-granddaughter of Mathias Liebensperger. To John K. Stump and wife were born children as follows: Calvin S.; Ellen Jane, who is running a successful millinery business at the Park avenue home; Jacob H.; Curtin D., a graduate of the Ruourard Training School for Embalmers, New York City, and the holder of a New York State License as embalmer, and now engaged as an undertaker and embalmer at Fleetwood (he m. Alice Kiefer); Alfred M., a graduate of the Keystone State Normal School class of 1903, and of Muhlenberg College, class of 1908, and now a student at Mt. Airy Theological Seminary, Philadelphia; Clara, who is engaged in dressmaking at home; and James W., now (1909) a junior at the Keystone State Normal School.

(VI) Calvin S. Stump attended the public schools of Albany township, and later the Keystone State Normal School, from which he graduated in June, 1901. In the fall of 1897 he began teaching school in Albany township, and after his graduation, he taught the Lyons grammar school for four terms, the Eagle Point school one term, and the home school at Swoyer's the past three years, and he has the reputation of being a through instructor.

On Dec. 25, 1903, Mr. Stump married Mamie Hengey, daughter of Wilson and Elizabeth (Brentzinger) Hengey, and granddaughter of Reuben Hengey. She was the eldest of her father's children, the others being Minnie and Stella. Mr. and Mrs. Stump have a daughter, Norma Grace, born Oct. 26, 1906. Mr. Stump is a member of Lodge No. 634, I. O. O. F., of Lyons; the Jr. O. U. A. M. No. 1004; and the K. O. T. M., of Kutztown. He and his wife are consistent members of the Maxatawny Lutheran (Zion) Church, where he was confirmed. In politics he is a Democrat, and like his grandfather, father and brothers, seldom fails to cast his ballot on election day to aid in that party's success.

(VI) Jacob H. Stump, the leading undertaker of Kutztown, was born Jan. 17, 1881, in the old Watch House mentioned above. When he was a year old his parents moved into Maxatawny township, located near Shofer's postoffice. He was reared on the home farm, and commenced his education in the local schools, completing it at the Keystone State Normal School. After leaving school he learned cabinet making with Tilghman De Long at Topton, Pa., in whose employ he remained for two and one half years. Then he went to New York City, and attended the U. S. School for Embalming, from which he graduated with high standing, April 19, 1902, and in the same year he came to Kutztown. He embarked in he undertaking business and by close and careful attention to every part of his business, he has won the confidence and esteem of his fellow citizens and is firmly established as a business man. He is a member of the State Undertakers Association, and has held a license since 1906.

On April 3, 1903, Mr. Stump married Mattie Z. Heffner, daughter of Levi and Hettie (Stump) Heffner (See Heffner family history elsewhere). To this union has been born one daughter, Edna Mae. Mr. Stump is a Lutheran member of Maxatawny Zion Church, and Mrs. Stump belongs to St. John's Church, Kutztown (Reformed). Mr. Stump is fraternally connected with I. O. O. F., No. 634, Lyons; K. G. E. , No. 70, Kutztown; and Jr. O. U. A. M., No. 1004, Kutztown.


STUMP, FRANKLIN S.

p. 1127

Surnames: STUMP, MILLER, BAUSHER, LEIBY, ZETTLEMOYER, DIETRICH, GREENAWALT, ACKER, KISTLER, HOLLENBACH, YENSER, OLDS, BOND, KUNKLE, LEVAN, SNYDER, KERN, FOOS, WILL, BRUNNER, STEINBRUCK

Franklin S. Stump, a highly esteemed citizen and representative farmer of Albany township, Berks Co., Pa., he operates an excellent farm of 148 acres, was born Sept. 26,1862, in Albany township, Berks county, son of Nathan and Mary (Miller) Stump.

John and Elizabeth (Bausher) Stump, the great-grandparents of Franklin S. Stump, are buried at Dunkel's Church, where many of the family name are now at rest. Their son Samuel, born Oct. 16,1794, died March 5, 1864, married Rachel Leiby, born April 15, 1801, died May 22, 1875, daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth Leiby. Samuel and Rachel Stump had children: Aaron m. (first) Elizabeth Zettelmoyer, (second) Ann Dietrich; Nathan; Samuel m. (first) Sallie Greenawalt, (second) Amanda Acker; John; Joel m. (first) Mary A. Dietrich, (second) Julia Kistler; Mary m. Isaac Miller; Leah m. Moses Greenawalt; Elizabeth m. Nathan Dietrich; Joseph m. Hettie Hollenbach; Gideon m. Katie Yenser; Moses m. a Miss Olds; Catherine A. m. Edwin Bond; Charles; Peter m. Elizabeth Kunkle; and Daniel.

Nathan Stump, father of Franklin S., was born in Berks county, Nov. 29, 1823, and m. (first) Elizabeth Miller, by whom he had two children: Sarah, born Feb. 21, 1847, m. Alfred S. Miller; and Mary E., born July 28, 1848, m. William Levan, and died in 1905. Mr. Stump m. (second) Mary Miller, born Feb. 1, 1833, died June 21, 1882, daughter of Isaac (1804-1855) and Hannah Miller. To the second marriage of Mr. Stump there were born five children: John, born Sept. 1, 1860, m. Emma Leiby; Franklin S.; Ella, born March 11, 1867, m. Nathan Snyder; Charles R., born March 19, 1871, died Aug. 29,1877; and Amanda, born July 9, 1874, m. Lewis Kern. Mr. Stump m. (third) Sybilla Miller. Although the three wives all bore the same name they were no relation.

Franklin S. Stump was educated in the public schools of his native township and the Keystone State Normal School, and for ten terms thereafter, nine in Berks and one in Schuylkill county, he was engaged in school teaching. Subsequently, however, he embarked in agricultural pursuits, and he is now engaged therein, being a modern, practical farmer. With his family he attends the Lutheran Church at Lenhartsville.

In 1885 Mr. Stump married Mary Ann Bausher, born in 1865, daughter of Simon and Anna (Dietrich) Bausher, granddaughter of Peter and Elizabeth (Foos) Bausher and great-granddaughter of Philip Bausher on the paternal side, and granddaughter of Michael and Hannah (Will) Dietrich, great granddaughter of Johan Michael and Sophia (Brunner) Dietrich, and great-great-grand daughter of Adam and Maria Barbara (Steinbruck) Dietrich on the maternal side. Mrs. Stump's father was born Nov. 2, 1841, and her mother March 9, 1841.

Mr. and Mrs. Stump are the parents of ten children, as follows: Gertie, born Dec. 10, 1885; Robert, May 9, 1887; Mamie, Dec. 9, 1888; George, Aug. 21, 1890 (died April 17. 1892): Annie April 3, 1892; Cora, March 26, 1894; Edna, Nov. 8, 1897; Helen, Aug. 25, 1899; William, July 15,1901; and Harvey, July 2, 19O3.


STUMP, HENRY L.

p. 1076

Surnames: STUMP, BROBST, DENNIS, ZIMMERMAN, LANDIS, MILLER, WESSNER, STEIN, BRUNNER, DETURCK, KEMP, SMITH, HARTLINE, HAINES, YODER, FIERING, RHOADS

Henry L. Stump, proprietor of the "Oley Valley Hotel" at Friedensburg, and one of the best-known and most popular men of Oley township, was born in Albany township, Berks county, April 15, 1862, son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Brobst) Stump, and member of a family known here for an hundred and more years.

Jonas Stump, grandfather of Henry L., was born in Albany township, this county, Aug. 30, 1789, and he was engaged in farming in his native township until his death, Oct. 1, 1857, in his sixty-ninth year. He married Mary Brobst, born Dec. 4, 1791, died March 19, 1869. They were both buried at the New Jerusalem Church. Their children were: Benjamin, Samuel, Heinrich, Elizabeth (married Abraham Dennis), Sallie (married Michael Zimmerman), Catharine (married John Landis), Annie (married William Miller), Lydia (married John Wessner), Maria (married Michael Stein) and Sophia (died unmarried).

Samuel Stump, son of Jonas, was born on his father's farm in Albany township March 25, 1817, and died there Nov. 13, 1893, aged seventy-six years, seven months, eighteen days; he is buried at New Jerusalem Church, of which he was an official Lutheran member. He owned a good farm of seventy acres, to which he gave his attention, this now being owned by his son Henry L. In 1842 he married Elizabeth Brobst, born in 1825, died in 1866, and they had fourteen children: Catharine, Sarah, Tilghman, Seniah, Emma, John B., James, Rebecca and Louisa (twins), Henry L., Isabella, and three, Charles, Samuel and Amanda, who all died young and were buried at New Jerusalem Church.

Henry L. Stump attended the common schools of his native district and worked for his parents until he was about twenty-one years old. When he first left home he went to Boyertown, and there clerked in the grocery store of Samuel Brunner for a year, at the end of that time going to Delaware county, Pa., where for three years he was engaged at farm work.

He then returned to Albany township, and again worked on his father's farm. In 1888 he entered the hotel business at Kempton, where he successfully conducted the "Kempton House" for fourteen years, establishing a good reputation with the traveling public. His well laden tables, good service and clean rooms appeal to the tired traveler and when he left Kempton in the spring of 1902, it was to become the proprietor of the "Washington House," on South Seventh street, Reading, where he remained for one and a half years, but owing to the difficulty of obtaining good help at that point he sold out. In a short time he assumed charge of the "Oley Valley House," at Friedensburg, and this he has been successfully conducting ever since, enjoying in a high degree the goodwill and respect of the community.

Mr. Stump is a progressive and up-to-date business man, and he is interested in whatever will benefit his town and county. He was one of the organizers and is a member of the board of directors of the Oley Hosiery Mills, where some thirty hands are employed; and he was also one of the organizers and is a director of the First National Bank of Oley, a very prosperous financial institution. Mr. Stump is a well-known sportsman, being a fisherman and hunter of some repute. In 1890 he caught the first large carp ever caught in the Ontelaunee, this weighing sixteen pounds. In 1905, with four other sportsmen, Mr. Stump made a trip to Virginia and killed three deer. In the fall of 1906, with five others, he made a trip to Center county, where four deer were shot, Mr. Stump shooting a buck weighing two hundred pounds, which he has mounted and on exhibition in his hotel. The meat he had roasted and served to two hundred friends. In 1908 he and six other sportsmen made another trip to Center county and killed two deer, Mr. Stump killing one.

Fraternally Mr. Stump is a member of Suyeto Tribe, No. 477, I. O. R. M., of Oley; Castle No. 119, K. G. E.; Council No. 544, American Mechanics, Kempton (of which he is a charter member), and Aerie No. 66, F. O. E., Reading.

John B. Stump a prosperous farmer near Friedensburg, Oley township, was born in Albany township, Aug. 6, 1853, son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Brobst) Stump. His early training was all along the line of farm work, and he gave his services to his parents until he was about twenty years old. He then lived out among the farmers of Albany and Upper Bern townships for four years. In 1874 he came to Oley and he continued working for others until 1892, when he began for himself. Since 1904 he has lived at his present place, which is the property of Susan DeTurck, and is known as the old Kemp farm in Oley, the house being erected by Jacob Kemp in 1757 and still in a good condition. Another built by J. and Catharine Kemp in 1809 stands on the same farm. Mr. Stump is interested in good stock, and at the present time has six horses, six mules and twenty-seven head of cattle. His farm is kept in good condition and he shows his ability to get good results from his labors.

On Jan. 20, 1874, Mr. Stump married, in Oley, Amanda Smith, daughter of Isaac and Susan (Hartline) Smith, and they have had children: Edwin, of Reading, married Annie Haines; Charles, of Oley township, married Laura Yoder; Andrew, of Friedensburg, married Amanda Fiering; George and Maurice are at home; Ella married Isaac Rhoads, of Friedensburg; Miss Sadie is at home.

Isaac Smith, father of Mrs. Stump, was the father of four children: Mary Ann, Ezra, Amanda and John.

Jacob Smith, father of Isaac, lived in Earl township. He married Mary Yoder, and their children were: Mary, Lizzie, Susanna, John, Jacob, Isaac and Abraham.


STUMP, JOHN B.

p. 1133

Surnames: STUMP, BENNETSCH, WEISER, SCHEUER, LEINEWEBER, MARIS, BUSH, FRYMER, STRICKLER, MERKEY, BOYER, RICHARDSON, MILLER, KALBACH, STOUDT, WERHEIM, DUNDORE, GRUBER, FILBERT, LENGEL, HIMMELBERGER, FISHER, LAMM, GELSINGER, BALSLEY, FROMM, FAHR, BROSSMAN, TEXTER, HAAK, ALTHOUSE, GRAEFF, BEIBER, COLLINS, FAHRENBACH, KULP, BROWN

John B. Stump. Among the old and honored families of Berks county, Pa., who have been identified with the agricultural interests of this section for many years, may be mentioned that of Stump, of which John B. Stump, a highly respected citizen and retired agriculturist of North Heidelberg township, is a worthy representative. He was born in North Heidelberg township, Dec. 5, 1833, son of Daniel and Maria Magdalena (Bennetsch) Stump.

Christopher Stump, one of the pioneers of Heidelberg township, Berks county, was a man of remarkable physical strength, and over six feet in stature. He accompanied Conrad Weiser to the midwinter Indian conference of the Six Nations in northern New York. He was twice married, and had sixteen children, in all, among them being two Susannas, two Margarets, two Catharines and two Christophers. He owned several slaves, according to his will, which was made Feb. 28, 1769, and in which he is mentioned as Christopher Stump, von Heidelberg township, Lancaster (now Lebanon) county. He left the eldest son one shilling as his birthright. The second son, Frederick, is doubtless the celebrated founder of Fredericksburg, Lebanon county, formerly Stumpstown, founded in 1758, whose questionable escapades there made him flee his native heath, to appear later in the wilds of Tennessee as a pioneer. It is said he left his neighborhood because he had despatched an Indian. In 1780 we find him at Nashville, Tenn., where that backwoods Commonwealth was formed. Several German names appear among the signatures to the Compact of government, among them Jacob Stump, afterward "killed by Indians in his field while father, 'Old Fred Stump,' just escaped with his life by running." "By sure, I did run dat time," the old German was wont to say, looking back upon his experience! He was a miller here later, but by this episode it would seem that the vengeance of the Red men followed him, if indeed this is our Stumpstown Stump, as is very plausible.

The children of Christopher Stump were: George Adam (who received 100 as well as the shilling mentioned as his birthright), Frederick, Christopher, Maria (m. Johannes Scheuer), Susanna (m. John Leineweber), Margaret (m. Ludwig Maris), Catharina (m. Georg Adam Bush), Henry, Magdalene (m. William Frymer), Susanna, Catharina (m. Leonhart Strickler), Juliana, Margaret, Leonhart and Christopher (who received the homestead in Heidelberg township of 270 acres), and Michael (who received 230 acres of land over the Blue Mountain, on the Mahanoy creek, which was patented land, so the deed says).

The estate of Christopher Stump was very large, most of the sons receiving 100 each, while the daughters received but 50. This incident, bequesting the daughters only one-half the sum given the sons, would seem to confirm the impression that female members in the pioneer families were regarded as less valuable than the male members.

Johannes Stump, the great-grandfather of John B., was born in 1746. He was a farmer, and took up land along the Tulpehocken creek, in North Heidelberg township, where he died in 1822. He is buried on the homestead, in a private burial-ground, where many of the family name sleep their last sleep. His children included Samuel, Benjamin, John and another son, the latter two of whom settled in Ohio. Samuel Stump and John Merkey, the latter possibly a son-in-law of Johannes, settled up Mr. Stump's estate. The family were Dunkards in their religious faith.

Johannes Stump had a brother Casper, who had settled across the Tulpehocken, in what is now Jefferson township, where in 1759 he paid L20 tax, being a large landowner. There is no record that Casper Stump left any descendants, and if he did they left this section as young men.

Benjamin Stump, the grandfather of John B., was born Dec. 5, 1779, and died on his large farm near North Heidelberg post-office Jan. 10, 1841, aged sixty-one years, one month, five days. He married Magdalena Boyer, daughter of Abraham Boyer, and their children were: William, born in 1807, who died in 1825; Daniel; Molly, who married Joseph Richardson; Sally, who married Matthias Miller; and Eliza, who married Joseph Kalbach.

Daniel Stump, father of John B., was born on the old homestead near the line of Jefferson, in North Heidelberg township, April 21, 1805, and died April 24, 1875, aged seventy years, three days; he was buried at the Corner Church, of which he was a Lutheran member. He was a lifelong farmer, owning a tract of 200 acres, and for many years was supervisor of his district. Mr. Stump married Maria Magdalena Bennetsch, daughter of Heinrich Bennetsch, and they had these children: William, who had Jonathan (the father of Milton L. and William B.), Henry and James; a daughter who died in infancy; Adam, who was the father of Levi; John B.; Amanda, who married Adam Stoudt; Isaac, who was the father of Charles, who went West; Henry, who died young; Benjamin, born in 1840, who died in infancy; and Daniel, of Robesonia, who is the father of Adam of Bernville.

John B. Stump was reared upon the home farm, and when twenty-four years of age began operating a tract of seventy acres, to which he added ten acres. On that property he spent nineteen years. In 1877 he removed to the old Werheim farm, later known as the Dundore and still later as the Miller farm, Mr. Stump purchasing it from a Miller, and here he resided until the spring of 1908, when he moved to his fine residence in Robesonia, purchased by him in the fall of 1907. The farm on which Mr. Stump spent thirty-one years consists of ninety-six acres; he also owned another, of 112 acres, in North Heidelberg township. All three of his farms are tenanted, two of them by his sons.

In politics Mr. Stump is a Democrat. He and his family are members of St. Daniel's Lutheran Church, of which he was deacon and trustee, and he helped to purchase the cemetery. He is greatly respected in his district, where he has lived a clean, upright and honorable life. He and his wife are in comfortable circumstances, and the sunset of their lives is a happy one.

Mr. Stump married Amelia Gruber, daughter of Emanuel Gruber, and to them have been born ten children: (1)Adam G. Stump is mentioned at length below. (2)Isabella married John Filbert, of near Robesonia (3)Ida married James Lengel, of Reading. (4)Henry G. Stump, born July 14, 1865, has been a lifelong farmer. He operated one of his father's farms for several years and then bought the farm known as Arthur Himmelberger's farm, in Heidelberg township, containing sixty acres, where he now resides.

He and his family are members of St. Daniel's (Corner) Church, of which he was deacon for two years. In political matters he is a Democrat. On Dec. 5, 1885, he was married to Emma V. Fisher, daughter of John W. and Ellen (Lamm) Fisher, and to them has been born a family of four children, Charles L., E. Mabel, Claire A. and Le Roy U. (who died in June, 1906). Charles L., son of Henry, married April 6, 1907, Lizzie I. Gelsinger, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Gelsinger, and to them has been born one son, Le Roy H.

(5)John S. Stump, born July 26, 1870, in North Heidelberg township, was engaged in farming for several years on one of his father's farms, and now farms the J. Balsley place, near Womelsdorf, Pa., On Dec. 25, 1890, he married Amelia Fromm, daughter of Nathan and Lovina (Fahr) Fromm, and there have been born to them two sons, John C. and Harry F. He and his family are also members of St. Daniel's (Corner) Lutheran Church, of which he was serving as deacon for two years. He is a Democrat in political matters and was a school director for three years in his district, and its treasurer for one year.

(6)George D. Stump was born Feb. 10, 1873, in North Heidelberg township. In 1896 he engaged on his own account in farming on one of his father's farms.

He is a Democrat in political matters, served as committeeman for two years in his district, and was several times a delegate to the county convention.

He and his family are members of St. Daniel's Lutheran Church, of which he was a deacon two years. On June 1, 1895, he was married to Katie Brossman, daughter of Jared and Catherine (Kalbach) Brossman, and to them three children have been born, Raymond, Varia and Eugene.

(7)Cora married Harry Kalbach, of Reading. (8)Katie died when three years old. (9)Maggie married John Lengel, of Reading. (10)Wallace Stump was born March 21, 1882, in North Heidelberg township, and was reared on his father's farm, where he remained until of age, when he left for Reading and secured employment in Van Reed's Paper Mill. On May 17, 1902, he was married to Mary E. Texter, and to them have been born three children, Elizabeth May, Sadie Amelia Ellen, and one son, who died in infancy. Mr. Stump was a member of St. Daniel's (Corner) Church, until a year ago, when he joined the Hain's Church, near Wernersville, Pa. In political matters he is a Democrat.

Adam G. Stump, one of the prominent agriculturists of North Heidelberg township, was born July 2, 1858, son of John B. Stump. He attended the common schools of his district, which he left at the age of sixteen years, when he commenced working for his parents. In 1880 he engaged in farming on his own account on his father's farm in North Heidelberg township, residing there eight years, at the end of which time he purchased twenty-five acres of good land, on which he built a new barn, 30x56 feet, in 1903. Here he has carried on operations to the present time, and has met with much success, being ranked with the substantial men of his township. He is a Democrat in political matters, and in addition to being a member of the school board served as treasurer of that body for three years. He and his family are members of St. Daniel's (Corner) Church, of which he was deacon two years, elder for four years, trustee three years, and president two years. Among Mr. Stump's valued possessions is an old "grandfather" clock, made in 1829, which belonged to Jonathan Haak. Michael Gruber, grandfather of Mrs. Stump, bought it at the Jonathan Haak sale, and it then came into the possession of Mrs. Stump in 1888.

On Aug. 30, 1879, Mr. Stump was married to Clara M. Althouse, daughter of Reuben and Henrietta (Gruber) Althouse. To Mr. and Mrs. Adam G. Stump have been born four children, three sons and one daughter: Warren A., who died in infancy; Claud C., who taught school for one term and then took up the study of pharmacy at the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, but was obliged to leave that institution on account of ill health (he entered the White Haven Sanatorium and after a stay of three months left for Mt. Alto, Pa., where he now resides); Miles, a student at school; and Verna May.


William B. Stump, an energetic and progressive young agriculturist of North Heidelberg township, where he is serving as school director and assessor, was born Jan. 19, 1876, in that township, son of Jonathan E. and Anna (Graeff) Stump. As shown above he is a grandson of William, great-grandson of Daniel, and great-great-grandson of Benjamin (son of Johannes).

Jonathan E. Stump was born March 23, 1849, in North Heidelberg township, on the farm of his father, William Stump. He followed farming the major portion of his life, but retired from agricultural pursuits in 1886, and since 1889 he has lived in his frame house near Klopp's store. He retains his father's and grandfather's farms in that district, two fine tracts of 110 acres each, one of which is tenanted and the other operated by his son William B. Mr. Stump is the heaviest tax-payer of North Heidelberg township, a most influential man of his district, and highly respected by all who know him. He has served seven times as delegate to county conventions; six years as school director, and eight years as tax collector. He is a botanist of note, and has collected and mounted many specimens of plant life. He is also a well-known antiquarian, and has a large collection of muskets and other interesting relics of the wars since Revolutionary days, and his comfortable home contains many valuable paintings. He is a Lutheran member of St. Daniel's Church, of which he has been treasurer for more than thirty years. He has also been treasurer of the cemetery board since its organization, in 1880. His wife was a member of the Reformed congregation of the same church.

Mr. Stump married Anna Graeff, born April 23, 1848, who died in October, 1903, daughter of Benjamin Graeff, a record of whom appears elsewhere in this work. Two children were born to this union, Milton L. and William B.

Milton L. Stump, son of Jonathan E. and Anna (Graeff) Stump, was born Oct. 19, 1870, in North Heidelberg township. He attended the local schools of his district and the Bernville high school, taught by Prof. Milton J. Beiber, and Michael A. Gruber. In the spring of 1890 he entered the store of Klopp & Kalbach, dealers in general merchandise and farming implements, as clerk, and there he has been engaged ever since. He is a Democrat in political matters and is at present an auditor in his district. He is a member of St. Daniel's (Corner) Lutheran Church, serving two years as deacon, four as elder, and now as secretary, which office he has held since 1904.

On April 13, 1895, Mr. Stump was married to Alice E. Collins, daughter of Dr. Owen E. and Joanna (Fahrenbach) Collins, of Obold, Pa. They live with his father. Mrs. Stump was a school teacher for four consecutive terms and one spring term - two terms in Geigertown (Robeson township), one term in North Heidelberg township, and one term at Obold, in Penn township.

William B. Stump attended the local schools and Bernville high school, which was then taught by Profs. M. A. Gruber and Theodore Kulp, and worked for his parents until he was of age. In the spring of 1898, he commenced operations on his grandfather's farm, a tract of 110 acres, on which a barn was erected in 1843 by Daniel Stump. The house, one part of which is constructed of logs, stands over a strong, excellent spring of water, this having been a custom of the pioneer settlers, as a precaution in case of siege by the Indians, as well as for convenience. He is an energetic and industrious farmer, operates his property by the most up-to-date methods, and has eight horses, four mules and twenty head of cattle.

Mr. Stump is one of the stanch Democrats of his district, and has always been active in the ranks of his party. He has held various local elective offices, and in the spring of 1907 he was elected a school director of North Heidelberg township, now serving in the capacity of president of the board; in the spring of 1908 he was elected to the office of assessor. With his family he attends St. Daniel's (Corner) Church, of which he has been a deacon.

In 1896 William B. Stump was married to Laura F. Brown, the estimable daughter of the late Samuel L. and Catherine (Fisher) Brown, prominent agricultural people of Heidelberg township, and to this union have been born two daughters: Anna Catherine, born March 11, 1897, and Dorothy Hannah, born Christmas Day, Dec. 25, 1907, and baptized Easter Sunday, 1908. Mr. and Mrs. Stump are well known in North Heidelberg township, where they are held in the highest esteem and have many warm friends.


STUPP, AARON S.

p. 1442

Surnames: STUPP, STUP, LECHNER, STEIN, WEISER, LAUCKS, BATTORFF, SCHNEIDER, HAIN, ECKERT, KELLER, HIBSHMAN, REINHOLD, LEISS, MILLER, PEIFFER, BEHNEY, PLEIS

Aaron S. Stupp, of Reading, who has lived on Front Street since 1901, was born Nov. 28. 1861, in Marion township, Berks county, son of William and Elizabeth (Lechner) Stupp.

Martin Stupp (Stup), the ancestor of this family, was one of the early Tulpehocken settlers, coming thither from the Schoharie, in New York. He died in the early part of 1755, and his will was probated March 18th of that year by Peter Stein and Samuel Weiser, on the oath of Conrad Weiser the great patriot and Indian interpreter. The executors of this will, which was a German document, were his wife Susanna Stupp, Abraham Laucks and Martin Battorff. A daughter, Magdalena Stup, was married according to the records of Christ's Church at Stouchsburg, Pa., Nov. 13, 1748, to Abraham Schneider, who was a son of George Daniel Schneider, the ancestor of that numerous family.

Leonard Stupp, the great-grandfather of Aaron S., died at his farm, and is buried at the Corner Church. He owned 300 acres of valuable land in Heidelberg township, where he spent all of his life engaged in agricultural pursuits. His children were: Eva, who married Benjamin Hain; and Johannes.

John (Johannes) Stupp, the grandfather of Aaron S., died at the old farm, on which he had spent all his life, in farming. He was buried at the Corner Church, of which he was a member. He married Sarah, daughter of John Eckert, and they had these children: John died single, aged eighty-three years; Ezra, of Myerstown, is eighty-two years old; Beckie m. Jacob Keller, and is eighty; William; James m. Hannah Hibshman; Mary m. Jesse Reinhold; Eliza m. Joseph Leiss; Susan m. Lewis Miller; and two children died young.

William Stupp, father of Aaron S., was born in 1834, and died Nov. 9,1906, being buried at Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church, beside his wife. He was a farmer by occupation, and owned the old, homestead of ninety-three acres in Marion township. In earlier life Mr. Stupp was an official of the Corner Church, but later became a member of the Tulpehocken Church. He married Elizabeth Lechner, and they had two children: Morris J. and Aaron S.

Aaron S. Stupp was reared to agricultural pursuits, and worked for his parents until reaching his majority, when for three years he engaged in farming on his own account on the homestead in Marion township, and in 1887 went to Stouchsburg, where he engaged in the restaurant business and also conducted a saloon for one year. For three years he lived with his father in Marion township, and in 1901 he came to Reading, where he has since been employed in a cigar factory. He now resides in his own residence at No. 267 North Front street, which he purchased in the spring of 1907. Mr. Stupp is a Republican in politics. He and his family are members of Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church of Marion township, where the family have a nice burial lot and large monument. Fraternally he is connected with the Ancient Order of Good Fellows No. 42, and the P.0.S. of A. No. 237, both of Stouchsburg, and the Order of Progressive Americans No. 1. of Reading.

In 1881 Mr. Stupp married Sallie Peiffer, daughter of Edward and Caroline (Behney) Peiffer. Their children are: Carrie L. m. Albert B. Pleis, a painter of Reading; Howard F., a salesman of Reading; and Grant U., a barber of Reading.


SUENDER, GEORGE C.

p. 610

Surnames: SUENDER, EISENHART, SCHWENK, BAST, KRAMER, FRAME, CLOUS, KAUFMAN, SHEIDY, MENGES, HEILIG, DERSCH

George C. Suender, who resides at No. 1230 North Twelfth street, Reading, Pa., has served as ward assessor of the city for the past seventeen years. Mr. Suender was born in 1845, in Saxony, Germany, son of George and Catherine D. (Eisenhart) Suender.

George Suender was a spinner by trade, an occupation which he followed in his native country, and in 1847 emigrated to America on the ship "Louisa Maria," Capt. Lew Schwenk, landing May 7th, of that year, after a stormy voyage of seven weeks, at Philadelphia. After coming to this country Mr. Suender engaged in common laboring and huckstering, and in these occupations continued until his death in 1890, at the age of seventy-two years, his widow surviving until 1903, when he passed away, being eighty-four years old. They were the parents of children as follows: George C.; Charles, M. D., deceased; Catherine, m. to Charles Bast; and Louisa, m. to George Kramer. In religious belief the family were Reformed. In 1856 Mr. Suender was naturalized, and became a stanch Democrat.

George C. Suender received his education in the schools of Berks county, attending pay schools in Bern township and Freeland Seminary, and after leaving the latter institution taught school for five years. In 1868 he commenced farming, continuing thereat until 1870, when he embarked in the livery business on Pearl, below Franklin street, Reading. One year later he sold out to engage in the flour and feed business with William Frame, and shortly thereafter accepted a position with William T. Clous & Son, ice dealers. In 1880, Mr. Suender engaged in the milk business, and this he carried on until April 30, 1907, when he sold out. Mr. Suender has been prominent not only in business, but in political circles as well. He has long been a stanch adherent of Democratic principles in this section, was school director for six years, and for the past seventeen years has served efficiently as ward assessor. He is well known throughout the city, and has many warm friends. Mr. Suender was married (first) to Elizabeth Kaufman, by whom he had two children: Lillie; and Elizabeth, m. to John Sheidy. His second marriage was to Louisa Menges, and to them there have been born six children: Katie, m. to Elmer Heilig; Eugenia H.; T. Howard; Charles F.; Emma, m. to John Dersch; and Vernie. The family is connected with the Lutheran Church.


SUENDER, JAMES W.

p. 1064

Surnames: SUENDER, EISENHART, BEST, KRAMER, LINDENMUTH, LEY

James W. Suender, proprietor of the" Filbert House," is a new comer to Strausstown, Berks county. He is a native of Schuylkill county, Pa., born at New Ringgold in 1870, and is of German descent, his grandfather, George Suender, having been a native of Germany.

George Suender was a spinner by trade, and followed that occupation while in his native country. He emigrated to America in 1847, on the ship "Louisa Maria," landing at New York May 7th of that year, after a stormy voyage of seven weeks. He brought with him his and a small family. Settling in what was then BIoomsburg, in Bern township, Berks Co., Pa., Mr. Suender engaged as a laborer and hucksterer, and there remained until his death, in 1890, when he was seventy-two years old. His widow survived until 1903, reaching the age of eighty-four years. Her maiden name was Catherine D. Eisenhart, and they were the parents of the following named children: George C., who is a well-know citizen of Reading, Berks county; Charles E., M. D, now deceased; Catherine, m. to Charles Best, and now living at Leesport, Pa.; and Louisa, m. to George Kramer. In religion this family adhered to the faith of the Reformed Church. Mr. Suender was naturalized in 1855, and was a staunch Democrat in political opinion. He and his wife are buried in the Bern Church burial ground in Bern township.

Dr. Charles E Suender, father of James W., was born in 1847 on board the vessel which brought the family to this country, about three days before they landed. He received his early education in the local schools in the vicinity of his boyhood home and his professional training at the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, graduating in 1867. He began practice at New Ringgold Schuylkill county, and was also at Middleport, that county before removing to Gratz, Dauphin county, where he was located until his death in 1877. His career, thus cut short at the early age of thirty years, was one of promise. He is buried at Gratz. Dr. Suender married Sue Lindenmuth, daughter of Michael Lindenmuth, and they had two children: Charles, who is now in the express business at Mahanoy City, Pa.; and James W.

James W. Suender attended the public schools and later a college in Iowa. Since he began life on his own account he has been engaged for the most part traveling for the McCormick Machine Company, by which concern he was employed for a period of eighteen years, his district including twenty-six States. Tiring of this business, however, he located for a time at Pine Grove. Schuylkill county, and in 1908 came to his present location at Strausstown town, embarking in the hotel business. His house has twenty rooms, and though he is comparatively new to the hotel business he has a familiarity with the demands of the traveling public which well equips him for the position of host. He is courteous and attentive to the wants of his patrons and his house bids fair to become both popular and profitable. Socially Mr. Suender is a member of the I. 0. 0. F. He is a Republican in political sentiment but not active in such matters.

Mr. Suender married Lida Ley, and they have had one child, Lavinia. Mrs. Suender is a daughter of William Ley, granddaughter of Christian Ley, and great-granddaughter of an early resident of Berks county, in that part of the county now included in Lebanon. He owned a fine farm, a place now the object of popular interest, General Washington having stopped there in Colonial times.


SULLENBERGER, HENRY M.

p. 858

Surnames: SULLENBERGER, MILLER, ALBRIGHT, EGE, BRINKEL, IRVINE, CROCKETT, REBER, KEIM, WOLFE, KERSCHER, KLEINGINNA, HAAK, SHEARER

Henry M. Sullenberger, a truck farmer and representative man of Bern township, Berks Co., Pa., was born in Millersburg, Berks Co., Pa., in Bethel township, April 9, 1848, son of Samuel and Sarah (Miller) Sullenberger, and grandson of Samuel, Sr., and Maria (Albright) Sullenberger.

Samuel Sullenberger, Sr., became the father of the flowing children: John; Joseph; Abraham and Samuel, all of whom lived in Cumberland county. The Sullenberger family name has been upon the records of Cumberland county for over a century. Like many of the early settlers, the Sullenbergers came from Lancaster county. John Sullenberger, a brother of Samuel, Sr., was a resident of that portion of Allen township, now Monroe, as early as 1799, record appearing of that date taxing him for both real and personal property. Therefore it is reasonable to suppose that he had settled there prior to 1799, for the records show that on May 21, 1795, Michael Ege conveyed to John Sullenberger 132 acres of land adjoining lands of George Brinkel, Samuel Irvine and heirs of James Crockett. This land lies on the eastern slope of the Stony Ridge in Monroe township, and is still in the family.

Samuel Sullenberger, Jr., was born Oct. 17, 1803, in Cumberland county, and when a young man he clerked in a general store. Later he became a teacher and taught school for twenty-one years in Berks county, in both Bethel and North Heidelberg townships, continuing in harness until two years prior to his death, which occurred in February, 1860, in Maiden-creek township, when he was fifty-six years old. His remains are interred at Shoemakersville Union church. His wife Sarah was a daughter of John Miller, of Upper Bern (now Tilden) township, Berks county. Her death took place in April, 1894, when she was eighty-one years old. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Sullenberger were: Mary, widow of Francis Reber, living at Newark, N. J.; Sarah, who married William Keim, and resides at No. 538 Eleventh street, Reading, Pa.; Rebecca, who married William Wolfe, of Shoemakersville; Henry M.; William, of Philadelphia; and Emma, who married James Kerscher of Reading.

Henry M. Sullenberger attended the schools of Bethel township, and for one session in Silver Spring township, Cumberland county. He worked among the farmers until he attained his majority, when he began teaching school during the winter, continuing his farm work in the summer. Thus he continued for twelve years, and he then engaged in boating on the canal. In 1892 he purchased his present property, where he still resides. From his house can be obtained the best view of the surrounding country to be found in all of Berks county. Reading can be plainly seen, as well as the beautiful stretch of Lebanon Valley. Many visit his home to enjoy this charming view. Mr. Sullenberger conducts his property as a truck farm, attending the Reading markets, his stand being No. 136 at Ninth and Buttonwood streets, and he enjoys a large trade. His industry and business ability have placed him in his present position, while his pleasant manner has won him many friends.

In politics Mr. Sullenberger is a Republican, and served as county committeeman for four years, and is now township supervisor, acting as secretary of the board. Much of his time has been given to his township, he being a public-spirited man, deeply interested in the development and improvement of his community. For many years he has been a member of Epler's Lutheran church, of which he is elder, and in younger days he was very active in Sunday-school work.

In 1871 Mr. Sullenberger married Miss Henrietta E. Kleinginna, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Haak) Kleinginna. Their children are: Carrie, who married Robert Shearer and resides in Muhlenberg township; Rev. John K. a graduate of the Keystone State Normal School, class of 1892; Samuel, at home; William, who died in 1885 aged five years.

The Rev. John K. Sullenberger taught school for three terms, and then attended Muhlenberg College, from which he was graduated in 1898. Later he attended Mount Airy Seminary at Philadelphia, from which he was graduated in 1901, and he is now in charge of Grace Lutheran church at Allentown, Pa., being generally recognized as a young man of great promise, and an earnest and devout clergyman.


SUMMONS, EDWIN S.

p. 1173

Surnames: SUMMONS, HENRY, PRINTZ

Edwin S. Summons, who has been extensively engaged in the plumbing business in Reading, Pa., for nearly thirty years, is now located at No. 209 North Sixth street. Mr. Summons was born Jan. 9, 1854, in Reading, son of the late Samuel and Sarah (Henry) Summons.

Samuel Summons, who was formerly a prominent farmer of Chester county, came to Berks county in 1835, and followed the trade of carpenter. He was elected on the Democratic ticket of Berks county to the position of county commissioner, and he served the county during 1856-59 in that capacity. He also served as prison inspector for a period covering twelve years. Until its disbanding Mr. Summons was a member of Montgomery Lodge, I. O. O. F. He was a member of the Lutheran Church, in the faith of which he died in 1881, his wife passing away in 1903. Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Summons, only two of whom survive: Miss Mary A., resides at No. 351 North Fifth street, Reading; and Edwin S.

Edwin S. Summons attended the schools of Reading, and when a young man went to learn the plumber'' trade, at which he has since engaged. In 1877 he engaged in business for himself on North Fifth street, he coming to his present place of business in 1896. Mr. Summons married Miss Margaret A. Printz, and they have had children as follows: Samuel, Robert, William, C. Raymond, Walter (deceased), Sarah and Edwin. Mr. Summons is a member of Calvary Reformed Church of Reading. In his political views he is a Democrat, but has never sought office. Mr. Summons' residence is at No. 413 Woodward street.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:57:24 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.