Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

STEWART, LEMUEL (M.D.)

p. 493

Surnames: STEWART, WEISER, ULRICH, MILLER, ROYER, JACKSON, SMITH, BRIGHT, LEAF, SCHMIDT, NOLAN

Lemuel Stewart, M. D. (deceased), who practiced medicine and surgery at Reading from 1848 to 1853, was born near Stouchsburg, Berks Co., Pa., Sept. 1, 1815, son of Jacob Stewart.

Jacob Stewart was of Scotch Ancestry. He married a daughter of Conrad Weiser. They were old and respected farming people of Berks county, and their children were : Rebecca m. Adam Ulrich ; Priscilla m. Mr. Miller ; Ursilla m. a Mr. Royer ; Clementine died unmarried ; William was accidentally drowned at Hagerstown, Md. ; and Lemuel.

The early education of Dr. Lemuel Stewart was secured in the common schools, but later he pursued higher branches at St. Mary's College at Emmitsburg, Md., where he became a convert to the Catholic faith. Dr. Stewart was an unusually brilliant man, thoroughly versed in English literature, and spoke and wrote other languages fluently. He was a brilliant writer of both prose and poetry, and at his early death left many works of high merit. A large part of his medical papers were written in French. One of his medical books, which is widely known, bears the name of "The Physician and the Public." He was graduated in medicine at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, and his certificate was signed by Professor Jackson. On numerous occasions Dr. Stewart addressed both literary and medical societies, and he was always listened to with the respect and admiration which his learning and oratory commanded.

Dr. Stewart married Angeline Smith, daughter of George and Margaret (Bright) Smith, granddaughter of Frederick Smith, Judge of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, and great-granddaughter of Johan Frederick Schmidt, born Jan. 9, 1747, and died May 16, 1812. Dr. Stewart and wife had two children : Margaret, who died aged three years, and Katie Leaf, who became the wife of James Nolan, and at her death left three children, James Bennett, Angela and Mary E. Mrs. Stewart, is a member of the Catholic Church. Dr. Stewart died in 1853 at Reading.


STIELY, ADAM S.

p. 944

Surnames: STIELY, LEININGER, REIFSNYDER, PAFF, FISHER, SHOWERS, MARKS, SCHAEFER, OYLER, BRUNNER, BRIGHTBILL, KNAUSS

Adam S. Stiely, a well known resident of Fritztown, Spring township, where he is foreman in the hosiery factory of William G. Leininger, was born Sept. 13,1858, at Wernersville, Berks county, son of Elijah and Ellen (Stiely) Stiely.

Dietrich Stiely, great-grandfather of Adam S., was a native of Germany, whence he came to America in, or about. 1735. He was a farmer, owning land where Hain's church cemetery is now located; and Stielytown, a village in Heidelberg township, is named after his grandsons, who were in that vicinity until after 1902, members of the family still residing there at the present time (1909). The burial place of this family is at Hain's Church. Dietrich Stiely's children were: Wilhelm: Daniel: George; Philip, who was the father of Francis, Daniel, John, Mary, Kate and Susan; Mary; Kate; Marguereta; Rev. Isaac; and John, who died in 1823, leaving a daughter under fourteen years old.

Francis Stiely, son of Philip, lived in Lower Heidelberg township, where he died in 1874, aged eighty-one years, the father of Reuben (who had a son Reuben), Anna, Francis, Jr. (who died before 1873), Ellen, Levi and Joel (who had Ellen, Valaria, Riely, Jared, Franklin, William, Charles, Maggie, Clara and Catherine.

Wilhelm Stiely, grandfather of Adam S., was born in Berks county, on the day on which the Declaration of Independence was signed, July 4, 1776, and died Nov. 21, 1846, aged seventy years, four months, seventeen days. He was a farmer and weaver, and owned the old Stiely homestead (which is now the property of Jonathan, Adam and Leonard Stiely, sons of Elijah), at Stielytown. He is buried at Hain's Church. He and his wife, Catherine Reifsnyder, had eight children, namely: Joseph, who died aged eighty-four years, the father of Emma, Adam W., Tamsen and Mary; Benjamin, whose children were Elias, Aaron, William, Malinda and Sarah; Samuel, who died aged eighty-seven years; Henry; Elijah; Matilda, who married Samuel Paff, of Reading; Catherine, who m. John Fisher, of Pottsville, Pa.; and Elizabeth, who m. John Showers, and died aged eighty-seven years.

Elijah Stiely, father of Adam S., was born Sept. 6,1822, and died April 22, 1902, aged seventy-nine years, seven months, and sixteen days, and was buried at Hain's Church, of which he was an official member. He was a school teacher of Berks county, teaching in the old pay schools of Spring and Lower Heidelberg townships, and for two years also taught under the present school system. He was a member of Company K, 167th P. V. I., during the Civil war, and served gallantly for nine months. On Oct. 27,1844, Mr. Stiely married Ellen Stiely, born Sept. 23, 1823, and who died Nov. 27, 1877, aged fifty-four years, two months, four days, daughter of Francis and Maria (Marks) Stiely, of Wernersville. To this union there were born eight children: Franklin died in youth; Catherine died in childhood; Miranda died young; a son died in infancy; Jonathan m. Valeria Stiely, and has three children, William, Nora and Leah; Adam S.; Eva m. Benias Schaeffer, of Lancaster county, and resides on the old homestead, and has two children, Carrie and Clarence; and Leonard m. Rebecca Oyler, has three children, Herbert, Minnie and Pearl, and lives in Reading.

Adam S. Stiely received his education in the township schools of Lower Heidelberg, and later attended the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown, Pa., for two terms, also taking a course at the Reading Academy under the late Prof. D. B. Brunner. Mr. Stiely taught school in Lower Heidelberg township for four terms, from 1879 to 1884, and then learned the cigar making trade at Terre Hill, Lancaster county. This he followed from 1884 until the spring of 1907, being engaged in business on his own account, and employing as many a eight assistants. His factory was located at Fritztown. In January, 1907, Mr. Stiely became assistant foreman and engineer in the Fritztown Hosiery Mill, a position which he has filled very acceptably to the present time. In political matters he is a Democrat, and has been very active in the ranks of his party, serving the township for nine years as school director, eight years of which he has been secretary of the board. In 1892 the board erected the Fritztown Grammar School, in 1903 the West Reading high school, and in 1894 the Sinking Spring high school, and in many ways advanced educational interests in Spring township. In 1900 Mr. Stiely was a delegate to the State School Directors Convention which meets annually at Harrisburg. He holds membership in the K. G. E. Castle No. 334, of Sinking Spring; Lodge No. 335, I. 0. 0. F., at Wernersville; and Camp No. 99, P. O. S. of A., of Wernersville He and his family are consistent members of Hain's Reformed Church, in which he is a deacon and elder, and where he has a fine burial lot.

On Feb. 9,1884, Mr. Stiely married Amanda M. Brightbill, born Dec. 10, 1858, daughter of Washington and Sarah (Knauss) Brightbill, retired farming people of Fritztown, Mrs. Stiely being their only daughter. To Mr. and Mrs. Stiely there have been born two children: Laura M. and Florence E.


STIMMEL, ELTON (D.D.S.)

p. 998

Surnames: STIMMEL, SIEGFRIED, HEFFNER, GREENAWALT, HOTTENSTEIN, MOYER, FENSTERMACHER

Elton Stimmel, D. D. S., of Reading, Pa., one of the leaders of his profession in this city, was born May 1, 1871, in Greenwich township, Berks Co., Pa., son of William F. and Mary Ann (Siegfried) Stimmel, and a grandson of Jacob Stimmel.

Jacob Stimmel was a pioneer settler in the vicinity of Eagle Point, Berks county, where he took up a large tract of land and became a man of agricultural prominence. He married a Miss Heffner and they had these children : William F. ; and Amelia, who became the wife of Manasses Greenawalt. Jacob Stimmel and wife were worthy members of the Reformed Church. In religious belief they were consistent and set a good example to their descendants. In politics the family has always been Democratic.

William F. Stimmel is also an extensive farmer and became a large building brick manufacturer. His plant is still in operation, being located on the outskirts of Kutztown, where its output is practically consumed. He is a representative man of his locality and has held a number of offices, serving on the council, also as school controller, and is a trustee of the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown. He has always taken an active part in public affairs and was one of the organizers of the Keystone Shoe Manufacturing Company. He has been a very useful member of the Reformed Church and was liberal in his assistance in the erection of the church at Kutztown. His children are: Alice married Dr. E. L. Hottenstein, of Kutztown ; Elton ; Ida married M. L. Moyer, a chemist and prospector of Montgomery county ; Irvin, a druggist at Philadelphia ; and George, a dentist, at Kutztown.

Dr. Elton Stimmel was primarily educated in the schools of Kutztown and then entered the Keystone State Normal School. In 1889, he entered the Pennsylvania Dental College at Philadelphia and was graduated with the degree of D. D. S., Feb. 28, 1893. For his initial practice he located at Allentown, but in the following year removed to the borough of Kutztown, where he continued until 1895, when he came to Reading. Here he has built up an enviable reputation for skill in dental surgery, and has his offices fully equipped with appliances for the scientific pursuit of his profession.

Dr. Stimmel married, Jan. 1, 1895, Alice C. Fenstermacher, of Mertztown, and they have one son, William F., Jr. ; they are members of the Second Reformed Church. Dr. Stimmel belongs to the Modern Woodmen, the Iroquois, the P. O. S. of A., the P. O. S. of A. Commandery, the Pennsylvania Immediate Relief, and the Loyal Americans. Professionally he is a member of the C. N. Pierce Dental Society and Dental Practice Association.


STIMMEL, WILLIAM FRANKLIN

p. 997

Surnames: STIMMEL, HEFFNER, BIEHL, GREENAWALT, GEEHR, STEIN. SIEGFRIED, HOTTENSTEIN, FENSTERMACHER, MOYER, CUNNINGHAM

William Franklin Stimmel, a leading brick manufacturer and extensive farmer of Kutztown, Pa., was born Aug. 20, 1846, on the Stimmel homestead in Maxatawny township, Berks county, son of Jacob and Sarah (Heffner) Stimmel.

Jacob Stimmel, great-grandfather of William F., was a son of the immigrant ancestor. He settled in Maxatawny township prior to 1757, as in that year he was taxable in that township, and was a single man.

Jacob Stimmel, son of Jacob, was born Oct. 23, 1773, and died May 7, 1847. He was the original owner of the Stimmel homestead in Maxatawny township, was a farmer and also engaged in wagoning, was a good mechanic and a useful man in his community. He had children: Jacob, who bought the old homestead, but later sold it to Benneville; Daniel, John and Samuel, who settled in Delaware, Ohio, but Samuel later went to Iowa; and Benneville, who lived on the old homestead until 1862, when he sold it to Henry Biehl of Kutztown, and moved among his brothers in Ohio. There are many Stimmel descendants in that State whose ancestry came from Berks county, and some of these Ohio Stimmels have gained prominence in politics.

Jacob Stimmel, father of William F., was born on the Stimmel homestead in Maxatawny township, Nov. 12, 1814, and died May 8, 1896, at the home of his son William F., in Kutztown. In early life he learned the trade of shoemaker which he followed for many years, but in 1844 he purchased the old homestead. He was a member of Zion's Church of Grimville, of which he was deacon and elder for may years. He married Sarah Heffner, born April 7, 1811, died May 10, 1885, daughter of George Heffner, a full sketch of whom appears elsewhere. Mr. and Mrs. Stimmel had children: Maria, who met death at the age of four years by falling into a kettle of boiling water; Amelia, who married Manasses Greenawalt; and William Franklin.

William Franklin Stimmel lived on the home farm until he was twenty-three years of age, and he then removed to Greenwich township and became a carpenter, which trade he followed for six years. In the spring of 1872 he became proprietor of the "Three Mile House," and while at this place, he also conducted a saddlery establishment. In April, 1875, Mr. Stimmel engaged in the saloon business in Kutztown and continued therein until 1888, when he removed to his present residence, No. 45 Noble street. In the spring of this year Mr. Stimmel took charge of the Kutztown branch of the Keystone National Bank of Reading, Pa., and he conducted this very successfully for ten years. In 1884 he was elected a director in the Topton National Bank, and served three years. He was also a charter member of the board of directors of the Keystone Shoe Manufacturing Company, and was connected with that firm for sixteen years. In the spring of 1902, Mr. Stimmel engaged in the manufacture of high-grade brick, an industry he has carried on to the present time. He is also a stockholder and trustee of the Keystone State Normal School, being deeply interested in the success of this famous institution of learning. He is likewise a stockholder in the York Silk Company, the Sacony Shoe company, and the Keystone Agricultural Society of Kutztown. In 1893 Mr. Stimmel purchased the Balzar Geehr farm, the largest in Maxatawny township, consisting of 232 acres of the best land in the district. His large barn on this property was destroyed by fire Aug. 13, 1905, but he has since erected a new and up-to-date brick barn at a cost of $5,000. Mr. Stimmel began building operations in 1880, erecting nine houses, in addition to the great shoe factories of Kutztown, now owned by L. A. Stein. He also is a member of the building committee of the Keystone State Normal School. Mr. Stimmel and his family are connected with St. Paul's Reformed Church, and he has served as a deacon and elder therein. In 1886 when the church was built he was a member of the building committee. The political life of Mr. Stimmel has been an active one. Like all the Stimmels he has been a strong advocate of the principles of the Democratic party. For twelve years he served the town in which he lives a councilman, was school director for six years, acting during the entire time as treasurer of the board, was a member of the county standing committee for three years, and has been a delegate to numerous county conventions. In 1908 he was again elected to the town council for a term of three years. He is one of the men most active in planning for the Kutztown Centennial in 1915.

On Nov. 17, 1867, William Franklin Stimmel married Mary A. Siegfried, daughter of Henry K. and Lucinda (Stein) Siegfried. To Mr. and Mrs. Stimmel have been born children as follows: Sarah Alice m. Dr. E. L. Hottenstein, a well known physician of Kutztown, Pa.; Elton, a graduate of the Pennsylvania Dental College, class of 1893, is carrying on a large and lucrative dental practice in Reading (he m. Alice C. Fenstermacher, and has one son, William Franklin); Ida m. M. L. Moyer, of Souderton, Pa.; Irvin, a graduate of the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, class of 1903, is carrying on a flourishing drug business in the city of Philadelphia (m. Lydia Cunningham, of Berkeley Springs, W. Va.); and George, a graduate of the Pennsylvania College of Dentistry, class of 1905, resides at No. 45 Noble street, Kutztown, and has a good practice. Mr. Stimmel's children have all been well educated. They all attended the Keystone Sate Normal School. Ida, George and Irvin graduating from the institution of which their father is such a stanch supporter. William F. Stimmel is a citizen of whom Kutztown may well feel proud. Enterprising and public-spirited, strictly honest in all his dealing with his fellowmen, stanch in his support of the church and the school, and withal kind and generous, he has been monumental good in the community, and may well be called one of Berks county's representative men.


STIRL, GEORGE S.

p. 1099

Surnames: STIRL, WINK, SHEARER

George S. Stirl, a well-known business man of Reading, who is engaged as a dealer in local stocks, bonds and investments, and also having a general steamship agency, located at No. 37 North Sixth street, Reading, Pa., was born in Maxatawny, Sept. 29, 1864, son of Ernest A. and Isabella C. (Wink) Stirl.

Ernest A. Stirl was a native of Chemnitz, Saxony, Germany, and while in his native country learned the trade of coppersmith. He later took up the study of music, graduating from the conservatory of music at Leipzig. On coming to America he located at Hamburg, Pa., and was living with his family at Shippensburg, Pa., at the time of the outbreak of the Civil war, when he enlisted as chief bugler in Company L, 22d Pa. Cav., a position he held throughout his service. He was honorably discharged at the close of the war, and returned to Hamburg, Pa., where he lived until his death May 10, 1866. He and his wife were the parents of four children, of whom George S. is the only survivor.

Mr. Stirl married Helen M. Shearer, daughter of Joseph Shearer, and to them have been born three children: Joseph S., George S. and Miriam L.


STITZEL, EPHRAIM H.

p. 1569

Surnames: STITZEL, HOCH, LUDWIG, MATHEWS, AHRENS, LAMB, OAKS, BRUNNER, ROLLMAN, SNYDER, BOHN, YOCOM

Ephraim H. Stitzel, who died Sept. 30, 1907, had been from 1879 a valued employe in the machine shops of the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company, at Reading. He was born in Moselem, Berks county, March 12, 1851, son of Tysher and Sarah (Hoch) Stitzel, and nephew of the late Judge Stitzel, once one of the most prominent men in the county.

John Stitzel, his great-great-grandfather, came from Wurtemberg, Germany, to Philadelphia, in 1735. In 1753 he married Mary Ludwig.

George Stitzel, son of John, married Elizabeth Hoch, and died in 1844, aged eighty-nine years.

Henry Stitzel, son of George, was born Sept. 12, 1789, and died Oct. 25, 1835. To him and his wife, Elizabeth, were born children as follows: Morgan ; Abaline ; Tysher ; Hannah M. ; Mary Ann (born Aug. 3, 1820, married, Oct. 12, 1843, James M. Mathews), and Hon. George D. Henry Stitzel's second wife's name was Esther, and she bore him a son, John.

Tysher Stitzel, son of Henry, was a farmer all his life in Maiden-creek and Lower Heidelberg townships. He died at the age of sixty-nine years, and his wife at the age of sixty-five. In politics he was a Democrat. They were members of the Reformed Church. Their children were : Henry, deceased ; Ellen, wife of Henry Ahrens, a retired farmer in Lower Heidelberg township ; Mary, deceased, wife of William J. Lamb ; Elmira, wife of Henry Oaks, of Wernersville, Pa. : William, living on the old Judge Stitzel farm ; Ephraim H. ; Annie M., wife of Christian Ludwig, of Brooklyn, N. Y. ; and Emma, of Wernersville, Pennsylvania.

Ephraim H. Stitzel was educated in the public schools of his native township and at D. B. Brunner's Academy. He then taught school in Lower Heidelberg and Spring townships for several terms. After this he learned the banking business with his brother-in-law, Christian Ludwig, of Reading, which he followed two years, and later embarked on his own account on Schuylkill avenue, and Tenth and Elm streets, Reading, and was in business for four years, leaving it in 1879 to accept a position in the shops of the Reading Company, where he remained in the same department until his death. The most cordial relations existed between Mr. Stitzel and his employers, and his services were highly valued.

On Dec. 25, 1874, Mr. Stitzel was married to Sarah Ann Rollman, daughter of Josiah Rollman, of Spring township, Berks county, and they had children as follows : Magie M., who married Irvin K. Snyder, and resides at No. 350 Pear street, Reading ; Laura and Bessie, both deceased ; Emma R., who married Mr. William Bohn, and resides in Philadelphia, Pa. ; and Alice S. A., who married Paul Yocom, a young business man of Reading. The family belong to Zion's Reformed Church. In politics Mr. Stitzel was independent. In fraternal connection he belonged to Camp No. 552, P. O. S. of A.; P & R. Relief; Fraternity Castle, No. 302, K. G. E.; and Bohemond Commandery, No. 327, A. and I. O. K. of M. The family reside at No. 813 Elm street, Reading.


STOCKER, JOHN G.

p. 1447

Surnames: STOCKER, WERREN, DAUM, BARBEY, LAUER, ROERICH, DEALE, SCHNEIDER, WATKINS

John G. Stocker, a worthy and honored citizen and prominent business man of Reading, died at Carlsbad, Bohemia July 19, 1903. Like many another of the representative citizens of the Keystone State, Mr. Stocker came of stanch German lineage, and was born in Baden, Germany, Aug. 5, 1850, son of John and Catherine (Werren) Stocker, both of whom were natives of the same section of the German empire.

John Stocker, the father, was a substantial farmer and a citizen. He and his wife came to America in October, 1873, and took up their residence in the home of their son John G. Mr. Stocker lived retired until his death, which occurred in the following year. The devoted mother remained with her son John G. also unto she was summoned to the life eternal, Nov. 17, 1879. Both were zealous members of the Lutheran church, and exemplified their faith in their daily lives. They were the parents of six children, namely: George, a resident of Reading; Christian, who remains in Germany; Frederick, who came to America and who died in Danville, Pa.; Caroline, m. to Henry Daum; John G.; and Adam deceased.

John G. Stocker was reared to manhood in his native land, and was afforded the advantages of the excellent schools there. In 1869, at the age of nineteen years, he emigrated to America and took up his residence in Reading, Pa., where he secured employment in the brewery of Peter Barbey. Later he identified himself with the operation of the brewery of Frederick Lauer, and after continuing in the employ of others for seventeen years he removed to Tremont, Schuylkill county, where he and his brother-in-law, John Roerich, rented a brewery, which they operated for the ensuing six years. Mr. Stocker then disposed of his interest in the enterprise and returned to Reading, where he built up a large and profitable business in the ownership and operation of what is known as the Stocker Brewery. He was thoroughly familiar with all details of the business, gave to his plant careful personal supervision and gained for the output a high standard of excellence. Mr. Stocker continued the executive head of the brewery until his death. His health became impaired, and in the hope of recuperating the same he went to Carlsbad, in Bohemia, where he died. His remains were brought back to Reading by his wife and daughter, who had accompanied him.

Mr. Stocker was survived by his wife, whose maiden name was Catherine Roerich, and by five children: Henry, J. George, Catherine (wife of Charles Deale), Adam (who was killed by the explosion of a beer vat, Oct. 20, 1905, at the age of twenty-six years, two months, eighteen days), and Caroline.

Mr. Stocker was a member of the Lutheran Church and contributed liberally to its support. In politics he was a Democrat and in a fraternal way he was identified with the Knights of the Golden Eagle. As a citizen he was progressive, loyal and public-spirited.

J. George Stocker, who was made executor of the estate by the terms of his father's will, and who was identified with the operation of the brewery from his youthful days until it was sold April 8, 1907, to August Schneider, was born in Reading, March 19, 1875. After completing the curriculum of the public schools he rounded out his discipline by a course in the Inter-State Business College, at Reading, where graduated. He then became associated with the work of his father's brewery in Tremont, and later with the Stocker Brewery in Reading. In January, 1903, he was graduated in the American Brewery Academy in Chicago, Ill. In 1893 he was made brewmaster in his father's brewery, and in 1897 became general manager of the business. He is one of the representative and popular young business men of his native city, where his circle of friends is limited only by that of his acquaintances. He is a Democrat in politics, a member of the Lutheran Church, and is identified with the Free & Accepted Masons, the Quakers, the Reading Liederkranz, and the Keystone Fire Company. On Sept. 12, 1904, Mr. Stocker married Miss Anna P. Watkins, who was born and reared in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.


STOLTZFUS, CHRISTIAN UMBLE

p. 1526

Surnames: STOLTZFUS, GARVER, UMBLE, LANTZ, KING, BLANK, BOILER, LAPP, FISHER, NOFSINGER, SCHMUCKER, MORGAN, MAST, ASH

Christian Umble Stoltzfus, a minister of the Amish Church, and a highly respected citizen of Caernarvon township, Berks county, where he is operating a fine farm of seventy acres, was born Aug. 3, 1845, near Morgantown, son of John and Elizabeth (Umble) Stoltzfus.

Nicholas Stoltzfus, the ancestor of this old and honored Berks county family, came in 1766 from Zweibrucken, Germany, to America, and with his children, a son and three daughters, settled on a farm near Reading. He is buried in the old Reading cemetery along the Schuylkill river. His son, Christian, was but sixteen years of age when he arrived in this country. Here he married (first) a Miss Garver, by whom he had three sons; John, Jacob and Christian, all of whom are buried in the Moyer burying ground, the mother being buried near Reading. The father married (second) the widow Lantz, who maiden name was King, and who had by her first marriage two sons: John and Samuel Lantz. To her marriage with Mr. Stoltzfus there were born these children: Abraham, Daniel, Solomon, Catherine Elizabeth, Anna, Barbara, Esther and Magdalene, all buried in the Mill Creek burying ground.

Christian Stoltzfus, son of Christian by his first marriage, married Anna Blank, by whom he had these children: Samuel m. Elizabeth, daughter of David Boiler, deceased in 1860, aged forty-five; Christian; John; Catherine; Rebecca; Anna; Barbara; Elizabeth; and Susanna m. a Mr. Lapp.

John Stoltzfus, son of Christian and Anna (Blank) Stoltzfus, and father of Christian U., was born Jan. 13, 1810, and was married, March 7, 1830, to Miss Elizabeth Umble. She died Oct. 21, 1853, and her husband, March 27, 1897. Mr. and Mrs. Stoltzfus had these children: Anna, born March 27, 1831, m. Christian Lapp; Mary, born April 25, 1832, and Jacob, born Sept 22, 1833, are both deceased; John was born Sept. 11, 1835; Jonas was born May 19, 1837; Fannie, born Sept 17, 1840; m. Henry Fisher; Daniel was born Oct. 29, 1841; Henry, born Jan 3, 1843, died in December, 1901; Christian U.; and Elizabeth, born Feb 20, 1849, m. Joel Fisher, of Lancaster county, born Nov. 1, 1851. Mr. Stoltzfus was married (second) Feb. 5, 1857, to Elizabeth Nofsinger, who was born Jan. 16, 1820, and to them two children were born: J. Bena, July 22, 1859, m. John Schmucker; and Isaac, Dec 15, 1861.

Christian U. Stoltzfus was educated in the public schools of New Holland, Lancaster county, and after completing his literary training engaged in agricultural pursuits, at which he has continued ever since. He now owns a beautiful farm of seventy acres, located in Caernarvon township. Mr. Stoltzfus is a minister in the Amish Church. In politics he is a Republican. His property is a portion of the old Morgan homestead, and he resides in a large stone structure which bears the date of 1731 and which was erected by Isaac Morgan.

Christian U. Stoltzfus married Malinda Mast, born Oct 2, 1852, near Morgantown, and four children have been born to this union: (1) John H., born Aug. 21, 1875, m. Priscilla Mast, daughter of Stephen and Catherine (Ash) Mast, by whom he has three children,-Myra, born Nov. 14, 1902; Malinda, March 23, 1905; and Martha, Dec. 11, 1902. (2) Lydia was born in 1887. (3) Sylvanus and (4) Stephen.


STONER, JOHN H.

p. 447

Surnames: STONER, MYERS, DONGES, GERHARD, ECKERT, HILDERBRAND

John H. Stoner, select councilman from the Eleventh ward of Reading, who is engaged in an extensive dry goods business at No. 919 Buttonwood street, was born in 1858, in Myerstown, Lebanon Co., Pa, son of the late Augustus D. and Susan (Myers) Stoner, the latter being a member of the old Myers family after whom the village of Myerstown was named. August D. Stoner was for many years engaged in the mercantile business at Myerstown as a member of the firm of Donges & Stoner.

John H. Stoner attended the public schools of his native county, after leaving which he became a clerk in the firm of A. D. Stoner & Son (composed of his father and brother Myers R.). For five years, 1881,1886, he lived in Ohio, and in 1886 he came to Reading, where he clerked for several years, and in March, 1903, bought out the well-known stand and business of J. Fred Gerhard, which he has conducted with much success to the present time. Mr. Stoner is a Democrat, and although not a politician accepted the nomination to the select council, to which he was elected in 1906, serving in that body with credit to himself and to the entire satisfaction of his constituents. He is fraternally connected with Washington Camp No. 64, P. O. S. of A., with which organization he connected himself in 1876 ; the P. O. S. of A. Veteran Association, and the North Eastern Democratic Association.

In 1893 Mr. Stoner was married to Lena Eckert, daughter of Jacob and Catherine (Hilderbrand) Eckert, and to this union there have been born two sons, namely : Roy A. and Russell E., both attending school. Mr. Stoner has a prosperous business, and may well be classed with the substantial men of his community.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:57:21 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.