Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

SHAPIRO, PHILIP

p. 662

Surnames: SHAPIRO, COWEN

Philip Shapiro, one of Reading's hustling business men, and a member of the Reading Board of Trade, who conducts a flourishing tailoring establishment at No. 6 South Sixth street, was born Sept. 1, 1861, in Germany.

Mr. Shapiro learned the tailoring trade in his native county, where he also received his literary education. In 1881 he sailed from Hamburg on the Hamburg-American Line steamer "Estralia," and landed at Castle Garden, N. Y., July 7th of that year. He worked as a journeyman tailor in New York for two years, and then engaged in the manufacture of coats on his own account, commencing with two machines. His skilled workmanship and honest dealings soon won him a widespread reputation, and in 1895 he came to Reading, at once opening up his present place of business. Since locating here he has commanded some of Reading's best trade, and has a reputation second to none in his line. He has taken an active part in business circles in the city, and in 1904 was unanimously chosen a member of the Reading Board of Trade. Mr. Shapiro is held in the highest esteem by his friends and associates, and is considered one of the foremost business men of the city. He has been prominently identified with fraternal matters, being a member of the Knights of Pythias, the I. O. O. F., the Red Men, and the John F. O. Hein Association of New York City. He has also been associated with the I. O. B. A., of Reading, of which he has served as president and treasurer for three terms each, and is now serving as conductor o the O. B. A., of New York City. He is a member of the Union Fire Company, the Northeastern Democratic League, and a charter member of the Hebrew free school board of Reading.

Mr. Shapiro was married in 1879 to Anna Etta Cowen, and to this union there have been born: Sadie, Bella, Abraham J., Morris, Michael, Jacob, Dorothy, Margaret and Beatrice. Mr. Shapiro and his family reside at No. 121 Moss street, Reading, and are held in the highest esteem in their community.


SHARADIN FAMILY

p. 1332

Surnames: SHARADIN, SCHIRARDIN, HAAG, HOCH, KUTZ, SCHMICK, KEMP, BEIDLER, CRIM, BIEHL, ESSER, FISTER, WANNER, SCHAEFFER, DEISHER, BUTZ, KECK, BIEBER, NEFF, MILLER, KEITER, ALMERS

Sharadin. This family is of French origin, and the name was originally of quite different form. Jacob Schirardin, as the name appears on the gravestone, was the emigrant ancestor of this family in America. He was born in Europe in 1735, at Rauweisen, and died in what is now Maxatawny township, Berks county, Pa., July 11, 1820. June 15, 1758, he married Margareta Haag, born Feb. 15, 1733, died Jan. 30, 1806. Both are buried in Bowers cemetery. They had a family of eight sons and four daughters, among whom were the following: Maria C., born Aug. 16, 1759, died Dec. 26, 1827, m. Daniel Hoch; Jacob, born Jan. 8, 1761, died Jan. 9. 1822 (great-grandfather of Francis E.); Peter, born July 25, 1764, died March 3, 1841; Abraham, born July 25, 1766, died Dec. 29, 1818; Daniel; Susanna, born Feb. 10, 1769, m. Nicholas Kutz, and died May 20, 1847; Justina, born Jan. 12, 1783, died May 22, 1852, m. Casper Schmick.

It is not known at just what time Jacob Schirardin came to America, but his daughter, Susanna, was born in Maxatawny township, Berks county, Feb. 10, 1769. This is the earliest record we have concerning him.

Jacob Sharadin, son of the emigrant, was born Jan. 8, 1761, and died Jan. 9, 1822. He was a very prosperous farmer and esteemed citizen. His children were: Abraham, lived on the old farm; Elizabeth. m. George Kemp; Sarah, m. Absalom Beidler; David, is mentioned below; Katherine, m. Jonathan Crim; Reuben, m. Katherine Biehl; Nathan, m. Rebecca Esser; Jacob, died unmarried; Polly, m. David Fister, and became the mother of the well-known Col. Thomas D. Fister.

David Sharadin, son of Jacob, was a prosperous farmer of Maxatawny township. He was born in 1807, on the old Sharadin farm, near Bowers, Pa., and died in September, 1880. In his early life he lived in Oley township, but later purchased his farm in Maxatawny township, where he resided for over forty years. He married Mary Magdalene Wanner, daughter of Col. John Wanner, and they had these children: Ephraim, m. Florence Hoch, and lives in Kutztown; Catharine, m. James Schaeffer, and lives in Richmond township; Henry, m. Abbie Deisher; J. Daniel, m. Caroline E. Butz; Sarah Maria, m. Frank Keck, and lives on Normal avenue, Kutztown; William, m. Mary Sharadin; David, m. Mary Bieber, and lives in Kutztown.

J. Daniel Sharadin, father of Francis E. Sharadin, is a tanner by trade, and for some years has been engaged in the leather and lumber business. He is an active Democrat, and during his time has been Councilman and chief burgess of Kutztown, serving in these offices for a number of years. He is public-spirited, and has been a trustee of the Keystone State Normal School for the past fifteen years. Mr. Sharadin married in 1868 Caroline E. Butz, daughter of Egedius and Elizabeth (Bieber) Butz, and they have had the following children: Catherine, died in infancy; Harry W., m. Louisa Neff, and is a well-known artist of Reading; Ella M. m. Frank C. Miller; Howard S., m. Minnie Keiter; Francis E., is mentioned below; Ralph C., unmarried, is a druggist of Philadelphia; Caroline L., resides at home.

Francis Edgar Sharadin was born at Kutztown, Aug. 20, 1880, and was educated in the local schools and at the Keystone State Normal School, from he was graduated in 1898. After graduating he became a clerk in the general store of H. H. Almers, in whose employ he remained for about a year, and in 1899 he assisted his brother in conducting a shirt factory. After being thus engaged for a year, he took an extensive trip to Europe, visiting Scotland, England, Ireland, Belgium, Germany, France and Switzerland, and during this time he gained much useful information. After returning from abroad, he traveled to some extent in his own country, especially through the Eastern and Central States, and the same year purchased the plant known as the Kutztown shirt factory, from J. B. Sharadin, his father, which he conducted very successfully until he sold the machinery in 1907 to the present operators. The factory is a two-story brick building, 45 x 45, which Mr. Sharadin still owns. He gave regular employment to about sixty hands, having a capacity of about 500 dozen shirts weekly, and sold all his goods to the New York trade.

In politics, Mr. Sharadin is a Democrat. He is an active member of the Reformed Church; fraternally he is a prominent Free Mason, being past master of Huguenot Lodge, No. 377, F. & A. M., and a member of Reading Lodge of Perfection, fourteenth degree.


SHARMAN/SHERMAN/SHEARMAN FAMILY

p. 1579

Surnames: SHARMAN/SHERMAN/SHEARMAN, RUTH, WEITZEL, MARSHALL, FISHER, MOYER, FEATHER, EBERLY, MILLER, FLEISHER, ZWIER, WOLF, STOUDT, MOSSER, ECKENROTH, HAAS, PEIFER, HUEBNER, EMES, WENRICH, GRAEFF, GUNKELMAN, SHANNAMAN, HERTZOG, GAUL, HIESTER, GRIME, SEITZINGER, SWIFT, WOLFENSBERGER, KLINE, POTTIEGER

The Sharmans or Shermans of Berks county, where they are numerously represented, descend from one Peter Shearman or Sharman, who, according to tradition, was of Welsh extraction and came to America before the middle of the eighteenth century. In 1756 he was a farmer and land owner of Cumru township, Berks county, and it is a matter of record that in that year he paid a federal tax in that district. Among his children was a son named John.

John Sharman, son of Peter and great-grandfather of David Sharman, a representative and influential citizen of Fritztown, Spring township, was born Dec. 12, 1753, and died March 23, 1837. He was a lifelong farmer, owning much land, his farm at Fritztown, which consisted of 120 acres, being the original Sharman homestead at the foot of Cushion Hill. Here the Indians used to congregate, and the old stone house, with walls two feet thick and windows so small that a person could barely crawl in and out, was used as a protection against the savages and was one of the first buildings in this section. John Sharman and his wife were buried at Hain's church, of which he was a member. He married Margaretha Ruth, born Dec. 8, 1763, who died July 15, 1815, and to them were born these children: John; Henry; Peter; William, born April 21, 1791, who died May 10, 1831; Molly, m. to Elijah Weitzel; Mrs. Johannes Ruth; Mrs. David Marshall; and Mrs. Peter Fisher.

Heinrich (Henry) Sharman, son of John, was born Nov. 5, 1788, and died Sept. 28, 1828, aged thirty-nine years, ten months, twenty-three days. Like his father, he was a lifelong farmer, his property being the present home of Ammon Moyer. Mr. Sharman married Esther Feather, and to them were born these children: Magdalena, m. to Joseph Eberly, of Spring township; Emanuel, who lived in Reading and had children - Joanna, Henry, Victoria, Hannah and Isaac; David; Mary, m. to Henry Miller, of Lancaster county; and Charles, m. to Mary Fleisher, mother of Wilson and Elbina.

David Sharman, son of Henry, was born on the old Sharman homestead in 1815, and his death occurred at his home, No. 422 South Seventh street, Reading, in 1854; he was buried at Sinking Spring. He was a highly esteemed and respected citizen, was a carpenter by trade, and for many years was employed at that occupation in the shops of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad company. Davis Sharman married Margaret Zwier, daughter of Mathias and Elizabeth (Wolf) Zwier, and to them were born the following children: Helena, m. to Silas Stoudt, of Leesport, Pa.; Henry, who died young; David; and Layton O., superintendent of No. 2 Works for the Standard Oil company, Cleveland, Ohio, and m. to Mamie Feather.

David Sharman, son of David, was born in Reading Dec. 12, 1851, and obtained a liberal education there and in the public schools of Spring township, which he left when about seventeen years of age. At that time he went to learn the blacksmith's trade at Fritztown under M. K. Mosser. In 1871 he made his first trip West, remaining four years. Returning East for one year, he subsequently went to Jacksonville, Ill., when he returned in 1877, settling at Fritztown, where he began working at his trade. This he followed with much success for thirteen years, during this time building up a large and lucrative business, which in 1890 he sold to George Eckenroth, who had learned the trade from Mr. Sharman. Since 1890 Mr. Sharman has been engaged in looking after his farm and other interests, which are quite extensive. Since 1880 he has resided in his own residence at Fritztown, with the exception of two years, from 1901 to 1903, when he lived near Montello, on the Old John Haas farm of fifty acres, which he purchased from Isaac Sharman in 1901, and sold in 1903 to Robert Peifer. Mr. Sharman's home is known as the old Daniel Huebner homestead and consists of about thirty-seven acres. Since its organization he has been a director of the Berks County Trust Company, in which he is a heavy stockholder, and he is regarded as an able financier and a man of much influence in his community. In political opinion he is a stanch Democrat. He has given valuable public service in his neighborhood, having for six years been a school director of Spring township, of which he was also secretary for three years. Since 1890 he has served in the capacity of justice of the peace, a busy office for a busy man. Since assuming the duties of this position Mr. Sharman has settled many estates, clerked at numerous sales and proved himself an able adjunct of the Berks county court. He has served as juror in the county and State Circuit courts, and also helped to settle many land cases in Chester county, assessing damages against the Pennsylvania Railroad Company. Mr. Sharman is a man of sound judgment and intelligence, and a good, upright citizen. He and his family are members of St. John's Reformed Church, of which he is at present serving as trustee, and he has been a deacon and elder. His ancestors are buried at this church.

On Dec. 26, 1878, Mr. Sharman was united in marriage with Sarah Emes, born Oct. 2, 1857, daughter of Augustus and Rebecca (Wenrich) Emes, of Spring township, and to this union have come six children, as follows: William E., graduated from the Keystone State Normal School, at Kutztown, in the class of 1894, took a post-graduate course, taught school for four years, and later entered Dickinson Law School, graduating with the class of 1908; Harrison O., a graduate of the Keystone State Normal School, class of 1900, taught school for five years, took a course in the Schissler College of Business at Norristown Pa., and is now connected with the firm of Schwarzschild & Sulzberger, great packers, of New York, being bookkeeper at the Norfolk, Va., office; Maud R., also a graduate of the class of 1900 at the Keystone State Normal School, and of the Reading Commercial College, was bookkeeper for J. B. Miller, of Reading, for several years, and is now a trained nurse at Garfield Memorial Hospital, Washington, D. C.; Lena, who lives at home, attends the Sinking Spring township high school; John, a graduate of the Normal School, class of 1906, taught school for one term; David is a bright and promising lad.

John Sharman, presumably a son of John and grandson of Peter, the progenitor of the family in this country, was the great-grandfather of George B. Sherman, proprietor of the "Mansion House" at Robesonia, in Heidelberg township. This John Sharman was born at the old home in Cumru (now Spring) township, Sept. 15, 1783, and died March 19, 1862. He followed farming, and also for many years kept hotel, in a stone building standing along the Bernville road. He was twice married, his wives being sisters, Rebecca and Hannah Graeff, and all his children were by the first union, with Rebecca. They were as follows: Isaac; John, who lived at Sinking Spring; Reuben, who lived and died at Myerstown, Pa.; Levi, who lived in Reading; Daniel, who lived and died at Boyertown; Lewis, who died unmarried; Catharine, who died unmarried; Sally, who married William Gunkelman; and Mary, who died unmarried.

Isaac Sharman, son of John, was born June 2, 1810, on one of the Sharman homesteads in Spring township, and died Aug. 7, 1882, at Brownsville, this county, in the home which he had purchased after giving up farming. He followed agriculture throughout his active years, as a tenant farmer, and for may years made his home in Heidelberg township. He married Sarah Shannaman, who was born March 24, 1817, and died Jan. 21, 1898. Their children were as follows: Hettie married George Peifer; Lizzie married Peter Hertzog; Katie married John Gaul; Mary married Thomas Hiester; Aaron was the father of George B. Sherman; Frank settled in Dauphin county, Pa.; James settled in Philadelphia; Isaac, lived in Reading; Henry died when young.

Aaron Sharman, son of Isaac, born in Spring township, Feb. 21, 1836, was reared in his native locality, where in his boyhood he attended the German pay school, the pedagogue receiving three cents a day from each of his pupils. He was reared to farming, and continued to work for this father until he was of age. For a number of years after beginning life on his own account he was engaged as a laborer, and for some time he was employed in the ore mines in the vicinity of Sinking Spring. But for twenty-four years and seven months he was engaged as toll-gate keeper on the Berks & Dauphin turnpike, having gate No. 4, which is now known as gate No. 1. He retired in the spring of 1907, and has since enjoyed a well-earned rest. Mr. Sharman has been more of less disabled for the past thirty years as the result of rheumatism and hard work, but nevertheless he has managed to attend to his duties.

On Feb. 19, 1862, Mr. Sharman was married to Miss Sarah Grime, who was born Dec. 19, 1836, daughter of Benjamin and Molly (Seitzinger) Grime, who had a family of six children namely: James, Catharine, John, Sarah, Thomas and Benjamin. Mrs. Sharman's maternal grandfather, Michael Seitzinger, was a soldier of the Revolutionary war. Nine children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Sharman, viz.: George B.; Kate, who is the wife of Robert Swift; Ida, who died unmarried; Maggie, wife of Richard Wolfensberger; Lizzie, who died in infancy; Sallie, who married Walter Fisher; Emma who died unmarried; and Nora L. and Cora F., twins, both of whom died when seven moths old.

Mr. Sharman is a member of the Hain's Church, where he has a family burial lot.

George B. Sherman, son of Aaron, was born April 29, 1864, at Sinking Spring, Pa., where he attended school. He also studied at Heidelberg, Berks county, and took a course at Myerstown, Pa., going to school until he was eighteen. In 1882 he located at Robesonia, where he engaged in hotel-keeping at the stand he still occupies. He is active in the public life of the community as well as a successful business man, serving at present as township auditor and as chief of the Robesonia Fire Company, which latter position he has held since the organization of the company. He is very much interested in fraternal organizations, holding membership in Williamson Lodge, No. 307, F & A. M., of which he is a past master; in Reading Chapter, No. 152, R. A. M., of Reading, Pa.; in DeMolay Commandery, No. 9, of Reading; in Reading Lodge of Perfection, fourteenth degree; and in Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He also belongs to Washington Camp, No. 375 P. O. S. of A., of Robesonia; Mount Penn Commandery, P. O. S. of A. of Wernersville; Robesonia Lodge, No. 119, K. P., and the Uniform Rank K. P., of Reading; the K. O. O. K., of Reading; and Neversink Council, No. 27, O. U. A. M. of Womelsdorf. Mr., Sherman is a member of St. Paul's Reformed Church at Robesonia. He is a Democrat in politics and takes part in political affairs, having served on the election board.

On Oct. 25, 1894, Mr. Sherman was married to Mary Kline, daughter of John and Matilda (Potteiger) Kline, and their union has been blessed with two children, Elkiana B. and Lydia M.


SHARMAN, IRWIN M.

p. 525

Surnames: SHARMAN, MOYER, GRAEFF, STURTZ, BREIDEGAM, WENTZ, HARDY, DACK

Irwin M. Sharman, a prominent citizen of Ontelaunee township, Berks Co., Pa., who is now in the employ of the P. S. V. Railroad Company as operator and leverman near Leesport, has been closely identified, with the public interests of his township, where he has served as justice of the peace and State legislator. Mr. Sharman was born Sept. 5, 1862, at the old West Reading toll house in Spring township, Berks county, son of Levi and Emeline (Moyer) Sharman.

John Sharman, grandfather of Irwin M., was for many years proprietor of the old hostelry known as the "Dry Tavern," near State Hill and Cacoosing, in Spring township, and also owned the adjoining farm, but subsequently removed to Reading, where he died aged about eighty years. He married (first) a Miss Graeff by whom he had all of his children, and after her death he m. Hannah Graeff, sister to his first wife. The children of John Sharman were: Isaac, John, Daniel, Levi, Reuben and two daughters.

Levi Sharman was born in 1818 at the "Dry Tavern" in Spring township, received the ordinary education of the times and later learned the trade of carpenter, an occupation which he followed at Reading, where his death occurred at the age of seventy-six years. He was married to Emeline Moyer, daughter of Jonathan and Mary Moyer, and to them were born four children: Howard is an employe at the City Hall, Reading; John married Lizzie Sturtz , and has four children, Ralph, Birdie, Harry and Howard; Irwin M.; and Edward with his brother John works at locksmithing at Harbster's.

Irwin M. Sharman received his education in the schools of Reading, whither his parents had come when he was three years old, and when eighteen years old he learned the trade of tinsmith with William Breidegam of that city. In 1884, in company with his friend Squire Henry Wentz, then of Reading but now of the State of Washington, he made an extensive trip through Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, Kansas and Missouri, and returned in the fall of the year just in time to cast his vote for Grover Cleveland for President. He then made a trip through the South, finally locating at Bluefield, W. Va., and worked on the New River division of the N. & W. Railroad under Superintendent Hardy, formerly trainmaster of the P. S. V. Railroad at Reading, until 1894, when he removed with his family to Leesport, where he is now employed by the P. S. V. road as operator and leverman. Mr. Sharman has always taken a great interest in matters pertaining to the welfare of his township, and in 1896 was elected justice of the peace for a period of five years, receiving the re-election in 1901. In 1906 he was elected to the State Legislature, where he served his term to the complete satisfaction of his constituents; and was reelected in 1908. He is a member and past grand of Leesport Lodge No. 141, I. O. O. F., a charter member and past chief of Leesport Castle No. 503, K. G. E.; venerable councilor of Camp No. 9284, Modern Woodmen, since its institution; charter member and R. S. for three years of Ontelaunee Council No. 985, I. O. A.; financial secretary and trustee of Union Fire Company No. 1, Leesport; and a member of the Order of Railroad Telegraphers, Dispatchers, Agents and Signalmen.

On Feb. 13, 1894, Mr. Sharman was married to Annie M. Dack, daughter of Jonathan and Mary Dack. Mr. and Mrs. Sharman are members of the First Reformed Church.


SHARTLE, ALVIN J.

p. 1656

Surnames: SHARTLE, XANDER, BAUSHER, BEARD, ANCONA, NIES, DRESSLER, PRINTZ, TORREY

Alvin J. Shartle, general secretary of the Pennsylvania Christian Endeavor Union, the largest union of Christian Endeavor societies in the world was born Dec. 5, 1867, at Hamburg, Pa., a son of Jacob and Maggie (Xander) Shartle.

Jacob Shartle, a son of Jacob, who was a son of George, was born July 28, 1845, at Womelsdorf, Pa. He attended the public schools through boyhood, and when the Civil war was precipitated, although but seventeen years of age, he enlisted as a musician in the Ninetieth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served until the discontinuance of regimental musicians by order of the Federal Government, in 1862. After the close of his military service he learned the trade of saddler at Womelsdorf, which he followed there, and later at Hamburg and Harrisburg, Pa. He was a good and reliable workman, and continued with one Harrisburg firm for twenty-four years, their most trusted employe. During his residence at Hamburg, in 1878, he served as a member of Company E, 4th Regiment Pennsylvania National Guards, for three years. He was a member of the Reformed Church. His death took place at Harrisburg, Pa., April 1, 1904, and his burial was at Middletown, Pa. He was married twice. His first marriage was to Maggie Xander, who died Dec. 25, 1872, aged twenty-six years. She was a musician, being a graduate of the Boston Conservatory of Music, a daughter of George Alexander and Mary (Bausher) Xander, of Hamburg, Pa., and an active member of the Lutheran Church. By this marriage four children were born: Alvin J., Eugene, Kate and Annie. In 1880, he was married a second time to Adeline Beard, of Womelsdorf, who survives and with her four sons, Paul, Roy, Abraham, and Dewey, at Harrisburg. Howard and Mark, being sons with this second union also, are both deceased.

Alvin J. Shartle obtained his early educational training in the public schools of Hamburg, his later intellectual training consisted in a technical course; a special course with the Sheldon School of Chicago, and under private tutors he prepared for religious work, specializing along the lines of Interdenominational Young People's Work. Being a poor boy Mr. Shartle was obliged at an early age to learn the moulder's trade at Hamburg, where he labored for nine years.

Becoming discontent with his work at Hamburg and with a desire for a larger field of usefulness, he came to Reading in April, 1893, and this city has been his home ever since. His removal from Hamburg to Reading was the beginning of his real development. Although holding many responsible positions he continued his night studies and persisted in church work, which was the ultimate aim of his ambition. For nine years he was a foreman with the American Bicycle Company; then he became manager of the American Match Company, Riverside, Reading, after which he became associated with the Daniel F. Ancona Real Estate and Fire Insurance Agency; and following this he became connected with the Inter-State Commercial College, Reading, as its representative and has shown great ability, tact, business judgment and foresight in advancing the prosperity of this institution.

On April 18, 1884, Mr. Shartle was married to Sarah A. Nies, a daughter of Daniel and Florence (Dressler) Nies, of Hamburg, and they have one daughter Florence M. The latter received her education in the public schools of Reading, and is also a graduate of Inter-State Commercial College, Reading. She subsequently married Stewart E. Printz, a chemist in business at Philadelphia. They have one son, Stanley V.

Mr. Shartle is an active member and elder of St. Stephen's Reformed church, Reading. He was president of the Christian Endeavor society for three years, and for four years was financial secretary of this congregation. He is assistant superintendent of the large Sunday-school and teacher of the Adult Bible Class, also a member of the Reformed Sunday-school Superintendents Association. In 1901 Mr. Shartle was elected president of the Berks County Christian Endeavor Union, serving as such for four years, and during that period through his efficient leadership the status of this union was raised to a high standard. He is a director of the Montrose Bible Conference Association, of which the celebrated evangelist, Rev. Reuben E. Torrey, D. D., is president; a life member of the United Society of Christian Endeavor, Boston, Mass.; editor of "The Secretary's Bulletin" which is the official organ of the Pennsylvania Christian Endeavor Union, and also a contributor to various religious publications.

On July 19, 1906, at Altoona, Pa., Mr. Shartle was elected State Secretary of the Pennsylvania Christian Endeavor Union, in which capacity he attracted national attention in church work. July 9, 1908, in State Convention at Reading, Mr. Shartle was elected General Secretary of the Pennsylvania Christian Endeavor Union, a union of 4,700 young people's societies, with a membership 290,000, the largest union of Christian Endeavor societies in the world. Following his election to this latter office Mr. Shartle resigned his position with Inter-State Commercial College in order to devote all his time to religious work.

It has been conceded that there is no layman in church work better known today, in the State, than Mr. Shartle, having visited every county in the State, and spoken to audiences in all the cities and large towns of Pennsylvania, and a number of other States, he has in connection with his publications, acquired a national reputation in Young People's Work. He is a strong, forcible speaker, a lucid writer, and a man with great executive ability. The "Christian Endeavor World," the official organ of International Christian Endeavor work, say of Mr. Shartle: "As general secretary of the great Pennsylvania State Union, the largest in the country, he has already made a remarkable record. He is a master of detail and method, and makes every move count in the accomplishment of his purpose. A sturdy Pennsylvania Dutchman, he is showing the grit and grace that will place the Keystone State at the front."


SHARTLE, HARRY H.

p 1397

Surnames: SHARTLE/SCHARTLE/SCHERDEL/SHERDLE, BERGER, KAUFFMAN, ALBRIGHT, RIEGEL, NUNNEMACHER, KERSHNER, MOYER, WITMAN, COX, WELLS, FIANT, BARTHOL, VAN REED, WERNER, RUTH

Harry H. Shartle, a well-known citizen of Lower Heidelberg township, Berks county, who is engaged in practical blacksmithing at Wernersville, was born at Womelsdorf, Berks county, Aug. 19. 1865, son of George and Mary Ann (Cox) Shartle.

Bernhard Shartle (sometimes "Schartle," "Scherdel," and "Sherdle") was born in Switzerland in 1708 or 1709, and when twenty-three years old crossed the ocean on the ship "Adventure" with many of his other countrymen, and landed at Philadelphia, Sept. 23, 1732. Soon thereafter he settled in Berks county, in that section of Bern township now embraced in Upper Bern township, where he was a taxable in 1759, paying a tax of three pounds. The original place of settlement was on what is now State road, one mile east of the village of Shartlesville, the farm being now owned by O. F. Berger. The ancestor had sons names William; Jacob, who died in 1803, was a witness to the will of Catherine, the widow of his brother John Sherdel; John; and George, the great-grandfather of Harry H. Two daughters were married to Adam Kauffman and Jacob Albright. Although the offspring of Bernhard Shartle were numerous in Bern township, scarcely any descendants remain.

John Sherdel, son of Bernhard, died in middle life. His widow, Catherine (Riegel) Sherdel, made a will Oct. 8. 1803, which was probated Dec. 5, 1803, and in it she mentioned their children: Catherine; John; Bernhard; Philip; Daniel, to whom was willed the grandfather's clock, old Bible and religious books; and Jonas.

The village of Shartlesville is situated near the Blue Mountain in Upper Bern township, and derives its name from the Shartle family, who lived at this place and did much toward developing it. The Shartles were farmers, and after the custom of those days kept inns, one of which was opened as early as 1765, and which in 1801 was spoken of as "an old log tavern." In 1819 George Shartle built a large brick house, which with other property suddenly passed into the possession of Benjamin Nunnemacher. In the lower inn George Shartle sold the first goods, and his nephew, John Albright, had one of the first stores in the old tavern.

George Shartle, the great-grandfather of Harry H., was born in the vicinity of Shartlesville, and died between Robesonia and Womelsdorf, being buried at the latter place in the graveyard back of the church. He was a farmer, owning land at Heidelberg township, being at one time in very comfortable circumstances. Mr. Shartle married Esther Kershner, and they had these children: Jacob; Daniel, of Pottsville, who had five children, - William, Harry, Alvin, Sallie, and Hattie; and Benneville, of Reading, who had four children, -Alexander, Emma, Tillie, and Laura.

Jacob Shartle, grandfather of Harry H., was born in the vicinity of Shartlesville, Upper Bern township, Sept. 22, 1804, and died at Womelsdorf, July 21, 1894, aged nearly ninety years. He was a blacksmith by trade, an occupation which he followed at Womelsdorf, whither he had come as a young man. Mr. Shartle was married to Eliza Moyer, born April 3, 1810, in Heidelberg, daughter of Jacob and Sarah (Witman) Moyer. They were married March 7, 1833, and Mrs. Shartle died May 1, 1893. Their children were: Franklin, born Feb. 10, 1834, who died March 5, 1884; George, born Nov. 14, 1835, died Jan 2, 1898; Sarah, born Feb. 18, 1848; Helen, born Nov. 26, 1842; Jacob, born July 28, 1845; Adaline, born March 7, 1853; and Mary Ann, born May 21, 1840 died Dec. 28, 1848.

George Shartle, father of Harry M., was born Nov. 14, 1835, and died Jan. 2, 1898, aged sixty-two years one month and seventeen days, being buried at Womelsdorf. He was a brewer, and burned many barrels of apple-jack. He was the owner of the residence at Newmanstown, where his widow now resides. He was twice married, his first union being April 11, 1858, with Mary Ann Cox, who was born Jan. 31, 1840, daughter of Charles Cox, of Womelsdorf. Ten children were born to this union: Charles J., born July 18, 1863, a shoemaker of Reading; Harry H.; Katie, born in 1863, who died in 1864; Adeline, who died at the age of fourteen years; William, born June 28, 1872, a blacksmith of Reading; Lizzie, who married George Wells, of Philadelphia; John Franklin, who died single, Sept. 8, 1888; Lillie May, born in 1881, died in 1884; George W., born in 1871, died in 1872; and Mary Annie, who died April 13, 1886.

Harry H. Shartle obtained a public school education and at the age of sixteen years learned the blacksmith trade from his grandfather, at Womelsdorf, an occupation which he has followed ever since. He came to Wernersville, July 19, 1886, and for eight years worked for Henry Fiant. He then engaged in the business on his own account, purchasing the business and shop of Henry Barthol in 1884. Mr. Shartle is an excellent mechanic, and he is considered the leading blacksmith and horse-shoer of his district, also having the agency for the New Burch plows. He is a stockholder, and was formerly a director, in the Wernersville Water Company. He erected a fine brick residence on Main street, 65 x 75 feet in dimensions in which are installed all of the latest modern improvements, including electricity for lighting. In politics he is a Democrat, but although he was very active in the incorporation of the borough, he has never cared for public office, preferring to give his time and attention to his business. He and his family are members of the Reformed Church, and he was a member of the building committee, his name appearing with the others on the front of the First Reformed Chapel, which was erected in 1900. He is a trustee of the church, and an active member of the Sunday school, in which he was formerly an official member. Fraternally he is connected with Washington Camp, No. 99, P. O. S. of A., of Wernersville.

On Oct 24, 1889, Mr. Shartle was married to Katie Van Reed, daughter of Levi and Catherine (Werner) Van Reed, and granddaughter of Thomas and Eliza (Ruth) Van Reed.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:57:10 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.