Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

SEIDEL, ALFRED S.

p.702

Surnames: SEIDEL, BOSSLER, SEIBERT, REBER, LOOSE, BROWN, ULRICH, WAMSHER.

Among the well-known retired residents of Reading, Pa., may be mentioned Alfred S. Seidel, of No. 145 Walnut street, who was for a number of years extensively engaged in business in the city. Mr. Seidel was born in Windsor (now Perry) township, and is a descendant of an old and honored Pennsylvania family.

His emigrant ancestor was Johann Heinrich Seidel, who came to the United States from Alsace-Lorraine in the early part of the seventeenth century and settled in the vicinity of Shoemakersville, Berks county, where he became very prosperous, owning much land. One of his descendants, Jacob Seidel, was born in Hamburg, receiving his education in the district schools of Berks county. Upon reaching his majority he visited Germany, whence he brought a large amount of money, and many family heirlooms. Settling in the northern part of Berks county, he engaged in agricultural pursuits also carrying on a mercantile business.

Jacob Seidel in addition was the proprietor of a hotel on the old Philadelphia Pike, where many noted personages partook of good old-fashioned Pennsylvania Dutch dinners, prepared by Jacob's wife, who was noted for her excellent cooking. Jacob and Elizabeth (Bossler) Seidel were the parents of these children: Benjamin, Jacob, Solomon, Henry, David, Daniel, Sarah, Mary, Eliza and Amelia. In religious belief the family were Lutherans. The male members of the family were divided in their political belief, some being Whigs and others Democrats.

Benjamin Seidel, son of Jacob and father of Alfred S., was engaged in agricultural pursuits for all of his active business life. Several years prior to his death, Feb. 9, 1884, he retired. He married Catherine Seibert, daughter of Jacob Seibert, of Lebanon county, and she died in 1906, having been the mother of these children: Alfred S.; Jacob and Monroe (m. Hannah Reber, and had two children-Ida May and Bertha, the latter deceased). In religious belief Benjamin Seidel was a Lutheran and his wife a member of the Reformed Church.

Alfred S. Seidel's early education was secured in the common schools of his native locality, and he later attended Franklin & Marshall College and the State Normal School at Millersville, Pa. After teaching school successfully for three terms, he turned his attention to mercantile pursuits, engaging in business at Shoemakersville, of which business, however, he later disposed. He was then appointed justice of the peace and surveyor, had also engaged in conveyancing, following this for eleven years, when he accepted the position of traveling salesman for a large Philadelphia firm. In 1891 he located in Reading, continuing to represent the firm until 1901, when he retired. He has engaged in various business enterprises, and has been successful in both local and foreign deals.

In 1872, Mr. Seidel married Miss Helen Loose, daughter of William Loose, and to this union there have been born children as follows; Mahlon m. Susan Brown, and has two children, William and Stewart; Claudius m. Emma Ulrich, and has one child, Elsie; Miss Lillie; Howard m. Fannie Wamsher; William B.; Robert L.; Titus; Allen; and Ida M. and Lyla, deceased. Mr. Seidel is a member of Kutztown Lodge, No. 377, F. & A. M.; Reading Chapter, R. A. M., No. 152; and Reading Commandery No. 42, K. T. He is independent in politics.


SEIDEL, CHARLES V.

p. 923

Surnames: SEIDEL, DREIBELBIS, MANTILLIUS, FESSELMAN, CRAUSE, GERHART, LANDIS, BALTHASER, RENTSCHLER, LEIBY, KAUFFMAN, SEIP, SMITH, KLEIN, FRAUENFELDER, SCHAEFFER, MOYER, DIETRICH, LUCKENBILL, DRESSLER

Charles V. Seidel, one of the substantial agriculturists of Maiden-creek township, Berks county, was born in Windsor township, son of William and Susanna (Dreibelbis) Seidel.

George Seidel, great-grandfather of Charles V., was a resident of Windsor township, where he made linseed oil and distilled whiskey and apple-jack. He had three sons, George, Andrew and John, the latter of whom was the grandfather of Charles V. Seidel.

John Seidel followed in the foot-steps of his father, and for many years was a well known distiller of spirits in Windsor township. He married a Miss Mantillius, of English descent, and they had children: Godfrey, Daniel, John, Joseph, Reuben, William, Elizabeth (m. Gideon Fesselman) and Catherine (m. Nathan Crause).

William Seidel, father of Charles V., was born and reared on the old homestead, and in early life learned stocking weaving, which he followed for many years, at the same time conducting a farm. The last ten years of his life were spent in retirement, and he died at the age of eighty years, five months, eleven days. He m. (first) Clarissa Gerhart, and to them five children were born: Mantillius m. Annie Landis; Henry m. Emma Balthaser; Francis m. Matilda Rentschler; John m. Helena Leiby; and William died in infancy. Mr. Seidel m. (second) Susanna Dreibelbis, whose son by her first marriage, Hiram Kauffman, m. Missouri Seip. Mr. and Mrs. Seidel had these children: Ellen m. Paul Smith; Charles V.; William F. m. Barbara Klein; Fannie I. m. W. A. Frauenfelder; Mahlon D. m. Veleria Schaeffer; Susan C. m. William L. Moyer; Mary M. m. Henry O. Dietrich; George D. m. Angeline Luckenbill; and Richard D. died young.

Charles V. Seidel was reared in Windsor and Greenwich townships, whence he removed to Albany and later to his present farm in Maiden-creek township. This farm is one of the oldest in this section of the county, and has the very best, most substantially built buildings. The spring house on the farm, erected in 1754, and the house, built in 1761, both of which are of lime rock, have cellars arched in massive masonry, and stand along the Angelica creek, close to the celebrated Peter's Spring. Mr. Seidel has had much success in his agricultural operations, and is considered one of the progressive, energetic farmers of his section.

On Oct. 6, 1881, Mr. Seidel m. Sarah E. Dietrich, daughter of Moses A. and Caroline (Dressler) Dietrich, and to this union there have been born children as follows: William m. Katie Moyer, and has two children, Sadie May and Katie Emma; Grover C. died Oct. 12, 1907, aged twenty-three years, seven days; Charles F. is a senior at the Keystone State Normal school, Kutztown; Annie F. is at home; George A. and Adam George, twins, both died young; and Maud Helen attends the public school. The family are members of the Lutheran faith.


SEIDEL FAMILY (MAIDEN CREEK HOSIERY COMPANY)

p. 1656

Surnames: SEIDEL, ROTHERMEL, STITZEL, DUNKEL, MENGEL, ULRICH

Maiden Creek Hosiery Company. Among the large and successful enterprises of Temple, Pa., may be mentioned the Maiden Creek Hosiery Company, which, starting from a humble beginning, under a capable management has grown to large proportions.

The company was founded in 1901, by Judge Stitzel, and was carried on by him until incorporated, when Frank Seidel became president, S. R. Rothermel secretary and treasurer, and George D. Stitzel vice-president, these gentlemen, with Charles Dunkel and M. R. Mengel, composing the board of directors. The business was incorporated to carry on a general knitting business in the manufacture of infants' and men's hosiery, and did a successful business until 1903, when the stock was liquidated and purchased by a new company, Frank Seidel at this time becoming president; Claude L. Seidel, secretary, James F. Seidel, treasurer; and Robert L. Seidel, vice-president. These gentlemen are all directors and all stockholders, and under their management the company has prospered greatly, now turning out 1,200 dozen hosiery weekly, in high grade goods, which find a ready sale throughout the country. They employ on an average forty to fifty hands and the plant, formerly located at Maiden creek, was removed to Temple in 1906, a suitable factory being found here to handle the growing business. In 1907, the treasurer, James F. Seidel, died, and his stock was purchased by Mahlon L. Seidel, the third brother, and Robert L. Seidel was elected treasurer , and Mahlon L. Seidel vice-president.

Claude L. Seidel, the secretary and business manager of this concern, is a man of practical experience as a hosieryman. He was born in Berks county in 1874, and from the age of twenty-one years has been engaged in the manufacture of this commodity, having been an operator at the Reading Knitting Mills, and for five years was in the gentlemen's furnishing department of Dives, Pomeroy & Stewart, Reading.

Mr. Seidel married Emma Ulrich, a native of Lancaster county, and they have two children, Elsie and George. Mr. and Mrs. Seidel belong to the United Evangelical Church. He is independent in politics.


SEIDEL FAMILY

p. 890

Surnames: SEIDEL, SIDEL, GRING, YOST, THOMPSON, YOCOM, KELLER, NEUTZEL, MILLER, HERB, HECKMAN, MASSER, SNYDER, SCHEARER, MAYER, DENGLER, FAUST, HIMMELBERGER, FISHER, KENDALL, GREINTHER

Seidel Family. (I) Ernst Sidel, the ancestor of a large and representative family of lower Berks county, was a native of Sweden, and crossed the ocean on the ship "St. Andrew Gally," which landed at Philadelphia Sept. 24, 1737. In 1752, when the country was still wild, and the year the county was organized, Ernst Sidel was already a tax-payer of Alsace township. In 1759 he paid a federal tax of L6 in Alsace township. Tradition states that he is buried at the long established Spies's Church, where some of his sons have tombstones erected to their memory in the old burial ground. There is some uncertainty as to the number of Ernst Sidel's children, but among them were: Frederick, Ludwig, Nicholas, Philip, Benjamin, and Jacob, who, perhaps, was the eldest. Concerning these the following information has been gathered:

Ludwig moved to _______ county, Pennsylvania.

Nicholas became an ironmaster of Berks county early in its history. In young manhood he resided in Alsace township, but later he removed to the vicinity of Seideltown, now Gibraltar. He operated Yocums forges in Cumru township for some years.

Philip also moved to the vicinity of Gibraltar. His wife Elizabeth died in 1830. His will was dated Sept. 11, 1822, and was proved two years later. His children were: Jonathan; Benjamin; Nicholas; Henry, who died before1822; Catherine, who married Samuel Gring; Susanna, who married Nicholas Yost; Elizabeth, who married Henry Thompson; and Mary, who married Daniel Yocom.

Benjamin was associated with his father in the iron forge at Stony Creek.

Jacob was a tax-payer of Alsace township, in 1752. He had sons Jacob, Jr., and John. The line of John, from whom James H. Sidel is descended, spell the name without the "e," while those descended from Frederick (among them Benjamin H. Seidel) use the "e."

(II) Frederick Seidel, son of Ernst, was born in Alsace township, where he became a farmer and carpenter. He became the owner of over 100 acres. He is buried at Spies old burial ground. The maiden name of his wife was Keller, and they had these children: John, who lived in Ruscombmanor; Polly, who married Jacob Neutzel; Frederick, who lived in Alsace township; Betsy, who married a Mr. Miller; Henry; Jacob, of Alsace township, who resided on the present location of the reservoir; Nicholas, who never married (he lived with Jacob); and Catherine, who never married. All of these are now deceased.

(III) Henry Seidel, son of Frederick, was born in Alsace township. He farmed sixty acres which he owned. His wife was Judith Herb, daughter of John Herb, and their children were: Polly, who married George Heckman; Benjamin, of Oley; Susan, who married John Heckman; Frederick, of Alsace township; Harrison; Jonathan, who lives on the homestead; and Hettie, who married Isaac Masser (both are now deceased).

(IV) Harrison Seidel, son of Henry, and father of Benjamin H. Seidel, was born in Alsace township, Dec. 9, 1839, and until he was twenty-six years of age resided on his father's farm near Spies's Church. During this time he learned the wheelwright's and millwright's trades, and at the age of twenty-six he began working at mill building, erecting the Penn street paper mill in 1866. Having married the previous year, in 1865, he and his wife removed to West Reading, where they lived two years, in 1868 again moving, this time to Exeter, where they remained three years. They then went to Blandon, and after one year, in 1872, settled at their present home in Oley township, near Friedensburg, on a nine-acre tract, where in 1878 Mr. Seidel built the present residence; he had erected a barn there eighteen months before, but it was totally destroyed by fire on Jan. 27, 1877. Mr. Seidel has a wheelwright and millwright shop that he built all by himself in 1886, which year was known as the locust year. He is a skilled mechanic and is kept busy with orders.

In politics Mr. Seidel is a Democrat, and he and his family are members of Spies's Church, which he served as a member of the building committee when the new church was erected, in 1887.

In 1865 Mr. Seidel was married to Adaline Snyder, a daughter of Benjamin Snyder. Children as follows have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Harrison Seidel: Benjamin H.; Ellen, who married Elmer Schearer; Jefferson, of Ruscombmanor; Frederick, of West Reading; Annie, who died in childhood; Harry, who died in infancy; a son who died in infancy unnamed; and Ida, who married William O. Mayer, of Friedensburg.

(V) Benjamin H. Seidel, coach-maker and councilman of West Reading borough, was born in Spring township April 19, 1866. He obtained his early education under his parents and in the district schools, and later attended the Oley Academy under Prof. John Dengler. From the time he was eleven until 1890 Mr. Seidel worked on the farm, and then for thirteen years lived with Henry Faust of Spring township, still farming. In 1890 he began learning coach-making under Frank R. Himmelberger, of West Reading, in whose employ he has continued ever since. During his long term of service the relations existing between Mr. Seidel and his employer have been of the most pleasant and the large trade enjoyed by the establishment is in great measure due to Mr. Seidel's efforts. He is now in full charge of the wood-working department of the concern, having a number of men under him.

In political sentiment Mr. Seidel is a strong Democrat. When the town of West Reading was incorporated he was honored by being selected to a seat in the first council of the borough, which office he still holds. He is also a member of the West Reading Fire Company, and is now its capable president, discharging his duties in such a manner as to win the confidence and approval of all the residents of the community, who feel that their property is safely protected under his rule. Fraternally he is a member of the K. G. E. Castle No. 302, and the P. O. S. of A. Camp No. 676, both of Reading, and he is a trustee of the first named order. Mr. Seidel is a member of St. James Reformed Church and since 1901 has acted as one of its deacons.

On Aug. 27, 1887, Mr. Seidel was married to Ida Fisher, born July 26, 1866, a daughter of William and Matilda (Fisher) Fisher. Mr. and Mrs. Seidel have had children as follows: Warren Arthur, who died in infancy; Harry A., who is a pattern-maker; Claud B.; Earl William and Harold Irvin, who died in infancy; and Edna Matilda.

James Henry Sidel, a collector for the Metropolitan Gas Company of Reading, comes of another branch of the family, tracing his lineage back to John, son of Jacob, who was a son of Ernst Sidel, the common ancestor of the family.

(III) John Sidel, his grandfather, was born in the vicinity of Gibraltar, which once bore the family name, in Berks county, and he died in Brooklyn, N. Y. During the gold craze of 1849, he and his two sons left home for the Pacific coast, but en route he changed his mind, sold his ticket and returned to Brooklyn, where he had been a real estate dealer, and where he owned considerable property. His children were: Elhanner; David, who was in business with a brother; Theophilus, who has an extensive cattle business in California; and Elizabeth, who died unmarried at New Lebanon, N. Y., a Quakeress.

(IV) Elhanner Sidel, father of James Henry Sidel, was born July 30, 1815, and died Dec. 27, 1896. He was a wheelwright by trade and followed this calling for some years, but he was in the service of the Reading Railway company for many years. For some time prior to his death he lived at home, retired from active work. He is buried in the Charles Evans cemetery. Elhanner Sidel was married to Matilda Kendall, born Sept. 29, 1823, died Aug. 14, 1907, aged eighty-three years, ten months, sixteen days. She was a daughter of John and Elizabeth Kendall. They had one son, James Henry.

(V) James Henry Sidel was born in Reading April 16, 1845, and after completing the common school course attended high school for one year. When seventeen years old he learned the trade of machinist in the Philadelphia & Reading shops, and followed his trade at Lancaster, and also at Reading for several years. After this he was timekeeper for the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad for eighteen years. In 1892 he entered the employ of the Metropolitan Gas company, and is now one of its most trusted collectors. Since 1886 Mr. Sidel has resided at No. 927 Oley street, Reading.

In 1872 Mr. Sidel married Miss Amanda C. Greinther, a daughter of Gustavas Greinther. They have one son, Harry D., a clerk at Reading. Mr. and Mrs. Sidel are members of Trinity Lutheran Church. Fraternally he is a member of the F. & A. M., Lodge No. 435, of Reading and K. G. E. Castle No. 159, also of Reading.

This old and honored family has many other branches, and it would be interesting to follow the history of each, for its representatives are numbered among the sterling, progressive men and women of the several communities in which they are to be found. The good, honest traits of character which belonged to Ernst Sidel, the Swedish ancestor, have come down to those who bear his name, and they may all be proud of him who made so good a record in the early history of Berks county.


SEIDEL FAMILY

p. 1120

Surnames: SEIDEL, MILLER, GAUGER, HEFFLY, FOLK, SELL, WEIDENHAMMER, SCHLAGETER, BUCK, HUNTZINGER

The Seidel family is an old and honored one in Berks county, and the grandfather of Franklin H. Seidel and Oliver H. Seidel was a farmer by occupation who resided on a fine farm northeast of Fleetwood, near Pricetown, in Berks county, upon which he died. His wife was Rebecca Miller, and they had these children: Benneville, Frederick and Eliza (m. Henry Gauger, who lived at Fleetwood). All are now deceased.

Benneville Seidel was born in Ruscombmanor township on July 29, 1826, and he died at Moselem, Sept. 20, 1896. During his younger days he was a farmer, but later during the civil war he operated a hotel at Pricetown. Still later he was employed for sixteen years at the Moselem furnace, and at the expiration of that time he returned to farming and was thus engaged when he died. He is buried at St. Peter's church at Moselem, to which he belonged. His wife, Caroline Heffly, daughter of George Heffly, died Nov. 16, 1900, aged seventy-two years. Their children were: Sarah, born Jan. 22, 1853; James, Oct. 13, 1855; Elizabeth, Sept. 1, 1854; Catherine (m. Ephraim Folk); Samuel, April 6, 1858; George, Frederick and another son all died in infancy; Phoenes, May 20, 1862; Franklin H., Dec. 2, 1865; Oscar, Oct. 11, 1867; Milton, April 8, 1869; Alvin, Feb. 2, 1873, and Oliver, H., July 15, 1874.

Franklin H. Seidel, son of Benneville Seidel, and a resident of the Tenth ward, Reading, was born Dec. 2, 1865, at Moselem, in Richmond township, where he resided until he was sixteen years of age, when he left the ore mines in which he had been working, and engaged to work for John Sell, a farmer of Richmond township. After three years he left Mr. Sell and went to Freeport, Ill., being then but twenty years of age. After a short residence there, he returned home, and settling in Reading worked for the Reading Iron Company at the pipe mill for three years. He then went to Howard, S. Dak., and for three years worked on a farm, but as that part of the State was visited by a drought, everything was destroyed, and once more he returned to Berks county, and found employment at the Reading Cotton Mills, April 4, 1890. He has remained with this company ever since and is now fireman of the new plant.

Mr. Seidel resides in his new house at No. 533 South Eleventh street, and has since 1892. He also owns a residence at No. 535 South Eleventh street, and one at No. 430 South Ninth street. A self-made man, Mr. Seidel naturally feels a pride in what he has accomplished, and he has not only gained success materially, but he has retained the confidence and respect of his employers and fellow workers. In politics he is a Democrat. Fraternally Mr. Seidel is a member of Vigilance Lodge No. 194, I. O. O. F., and the Foresters of America. He and his family are consistent members of St. Luke's Lutheran church of Reading, of which he is a deacon, having held that office since 1904 under the Rev. F. K. Huntzinger.

In April, 1891, Mr. Seidel married Ellen Weidenhammer, daughter of Rueben Weidenhammer, of Richmond township. They have had these children: Lizzie, born Feb. 15, 1892; Arthur, Dec. 10, 1894; and twin sons and Amy F., all three of whom died in infancy.

Oliver H. Seidel, a resident of Reading, and a son of Benneville Seidel, was born at Moselem, Richmond township, Berks county, July 15, 1874, and was reared on a farm until he was twenty-one. For a year he worked at Windsor Castle, and then he went to Newark, N. J., and was a waiter in a restaurant for a short time, gaining valuable experience. In 1897 he came to Reading, and has lived here for the past eleven years, being engaged in various ways. For some time he had been agent for the Prudential Life Insurance Company when he entered the employ of the Reading Traction Company, but in 1902 he entered the Reading Cotton Mills and is now assistant foreman of the weaving department, although he commenced there as a loom fixer, and worked his way up through his own ability. Like his brother, Franklin H. Seidel, Mr. Oliver H. Seidel owns his own home, a very pleasant brick house at No. 550 South Eleventh street, which he purchased April 1, 1907. In politics he is a Democrat, and is very active in the work of the party, although he has never held office aside from giving his services to the tax collector's office during 1907.

Fraternally Mr. Seidel is a member of Vigilance Lodge No. 194, I. O. O. F., of which he is past grand, and he is also a member of Reading Aerie No. 66, F. O. E., and the United Traction Company Employes Beneficial Association. He and his family are members of Huntzinger's Lutheran church of Reading.

On Nov. 14, 1901, Mr. Seidel married Annie Schlageter, daughter of Stephan and Agnes (Buck) Schlageter, a native of Germany who came to the United States in 1890.


SEIDEL, FRANCIS F.

p. 1659

Surnames: SEIDEL, FAUST, MILLER, HARTMAN

Francis F. Seidel, who has been engaged in the undertaking business for the past thirty-four years, conducting the largest mortuary in Berks county, was born Feb. 23, 1858, in Bern township, Berks county, son of Elias and Caroline (Faust) Seidel.

Daniel Seidel, the grandfather of Francis F., was born in Berks county, his ancestors having been residents of the northern part of the State, where they were engaged in agricultural pursuits. Daniel Seidel purchased 450 acres of wild, heavily timbered land, a part of which he cleared, and there spent the remainder of his life in farming, respected and esteemed for his many sterling qualities. He was a prominent man in his community, was a faithful Democrat in politics, and was elected to serve his township as a member of the school board. He was greatly interested in educational movements, giving cheerfully not only of his time, but of his property on which to erect a school building. Mr. Seidel married a lady of English birth and to them were born these children: Bernville, Michael, Elias, Elizabeth, Lovina, Lacy and Mary.

Elias Seidel, the youngest son, father of Francis F., was born in Bern township, and his death occurred on the old homestead at the age of twenty-five years, on which place he had spent all of his time after leaving school. He and his wife, who bore the maiden name of Caroline Faust, had two children, Francis F. and Elias, the latter of whom died July 8, 1890, aged thirty years.

Francis F. Seidel secured his education in the public schools of his native town, after leaving which he worked three years for E. S. Miller, and then served an apprenticeship of three years to the undertaker's trade, becoming foreman in Mr. Miller's undertaking establishment, a position he held for about ten years. On April 1, 1888, Mr. Seidel embarked in the business on his own account in Reading, and this has been his occupation ever since. He has established one of the largest trades in Berks county, and has been the originator of many good innovations in the business, including the funeral car, high hats and capes, and the grave lining, the latter of which has become universal throughout the county. During his first year of business Mr. Seidel had charge of fifty-two funerals, and his business has increased since that time to large proportions, and he conducts between 650 and 700 funerals a year. On March 9, 1888, Mr. Seidel graduated from the Oriental School of Embalming, from Clask's School of Embalming in 1893; and from the school of embalming at Harrisburg, Pa., in 1894, and he has also taken lectures on contagious diseases. He was the first to advertise embalming in Reading, and has inaugurated a system of bookkeeping of his own which is considered one of the best in existence. To date Mr. Seidel has buried about 9,000 bodies, and he now employs seven assistants. He owns a fine farm in Spring township, above Sinking Spring, known as the Montello Farm.

On July 24, 1883, Mr. Seidel was united in marriage with Miss Amelia Hartman, and to them were born children: Estella E., born April 24, 1884; died Nov. 5, 1887; Herbert A., born Sept. 21, 1885 (is a member of St. John's Lodge, No. 435, F. & A. M.; Reading Commandery, No. 42, K. T.; Excelsior Chapter, No. 237, R. A. M.; and Vigilance Lodge No. 194, I. O. O. F.) is now assisting his father; Calvin E., born Oct. 21, 1887, is studying architecture and had prepared for Pennsylvania University (is a member of Isaac Hiester Lodge, No. 660, F. & A. M.); and Florence May, born Sept. 2, 1888, is a member of the class of 1908, Girls' high school, Reading.

Mr. Seidel is much interested in the cause of education, and gives willingly of his time and substance to movements having as their object the advancement of this cause. He is a member of the Board of Trade. His fraternal connections are with Chandler Lodge, No. 227, F. & A. M.; Excelsior Chapter, No. 237; Reading Commandery, No. 42, K. T.; Philadelphia Consistory, Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite Masons; a charter member of the Lodge of Perfection, Reading; and a member of Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.; and was for some years a trustee of the Masonic Association. He is also a charter member of Vigilance Lodge, No. 194, I. O. O. F.; Perseverance Council No. 194, Jr. O. U. A. M., of which he is past councillor; past chief of the Knights of the Golden Eagle, No. 49; Juniata Tribe, No. 74, I. O. R. M.; Knights of Friendship; and Rebekah Degree Odd Fellows Lodge, No. 4. In all of his business dealings Mr. Seidel has been honest with his patrons, living strictly up to the word of every contract. He is one of Reading's good citizens, and as such is respected and esteemed by his fellow men.


SEIDEL, FRANKLIN

p. 1416

Surnames: SEIDEL, GULDIN, RATHMACHER, REBER, THROM, RHOADS, WEIDENHAMMER, DUNKEL

Franklin Seidel, one of the leading residents of Maiden-creek township, Berks county, who has been prominent in agricultural and public matters all his life, was born July 11, 1833, in that township, son of Henry and Lydia (Guldin) Seidel.

Henry Seidel, the great-grandfather of Franklin, was born in 1732 in Strasburg, Germany, whence he emigrated to the United States when nineteen years of age, being sold to pay his passage, a custom which was quite common in those days. On obtaining his freedom in 1752, he came to Reading, Berks county, and later participated in the Indian war under Captain Hiester. He also took part in the war of the Revolution, his wife and children conducting the farm during the period of his service. About 1760 he married Elizabeth Rathmacher. He purchased land in Bern township. In 1786 he returned to Germany, and, being engaged in the mercantile business, he brought back merchandise which he sold. He became the owner of 400 acres of land in Maiden-creek township, and there for many years he was a prosperous farmer and merchant. He died in 1801, and is buried at Perry Church, in Windsor township, Berks county, Pa. The following were his children: Michael, Henry, Daniel, John, Philip, Jacob, Mary and Margaret.

Henry Seidel, son of the emigrant, born Nov. 12, 1765, died Aug. 7, 1847. In 1791 he settled on the homestead, and he married Elizabeth Reber, of Windsor township, Berks county. They became the parents of fourteen children, of whom the following reached mature years: Daniel, Henry, Jacob, Elizabeth, Sarah, Catharine, Mary, Hannah, Susannah and Rebecca.

Henry Seidel, father of Franklin, and eleventh in order of birth in the above family, was born in Maiden-creek township June 9, 1809, and died Nov. 6, 1892. He engaged in farming until his retirement in 1857, at which time he removed to Reading. Mr. Seidel married Nov. 4, 1832, Lydia Weaver Guldin, daughter of Frederick Guldin, of the same township, and they had two children, Franklin and Sarah A. The latter, born Feb. 13, 1836, married Henry Throm, of Reading, Pennsylvania.

Franklin Seidel was educated in the common schools of his native locality, and later attended a boarding school in Amity township conducted by Samuel L. Rhoads. Returning to the farm, he assisted his father in various ways until his marriage, June 3, 1856, to Susannah, daughter of George Weidenhammer of the same township. They have had children as follows: George Henry, born Jan. 3, 1858, died July 8, 1877; Sarah Amanda, born May 19, 1866, died Aug. 26, 1868; Lydia Cora, born April 5, 1870, married Dec. 4, 1894, Charles H. Dunkel and has two children, S. Franklin Seidel and Sarah Susannah. Mrs. Seidel's great-grandfather came from Germany, and her grandparents were John and Elizabeth (Dunkel) Weidenhammer.

Mr. Seidel has spent all of his life in Berks county except eleven years - 1857 to 1868 - during which time he lived in East Nantmeal township, Chester Co., Pa. He has devoted his life to farming. He is a member of the Berks County Agricultural Society, in which he manifests an active interest, and is known as one of the good, practical farmers of Maiden-creek township. Since 1887 Mr. Seidel has taken an interest in political matters, and in 1890, during the Pattison campaign, he was nominated by the Democratic party for the office of county commissioner, being subsequently elected. He served in this office from 1891 to 1894, and in this short time the Cross Keys bridge was built; general repairs were made on the court-house, it being made fire-proof, during the second year of his term, in spite of great opposition; the Kissinger bridge, having fallen into the Schuylkill river and canal, was rebuilt by the county commissioners at a cost of $58,000; an emergency hospital for the care of contagious diseases was erected at the poor-house at a cost of $3,300; and the Exeter township bridge at a cost of $29,000. Mr. Seidel always tried to work for the welfare of his constituents and the benefit of the county taxpayers. He is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church at Blandon. Mr. Seidel is one of the largest landowners in Berks county. He has seven farms in Maiden-creek township, which contain about 850 acres, and owns other lands in Ruscombmanor and Muhlenberg townships, having in all about eleven hundred acres. He is one of the most prominent men in Berks county, Pennsylvania.


SEIDEL, HENRY CLAY

p. 1315

Surnames: SEIDEL, YUNDT, BARR, BECHTEL, THOMPSON, WILE, EVANS, WYER, SELTZER, SPEAR

Henry Clay Seidel, president of the Philadelphia Black Lead Crucible Works, and one of the prominent iron men of southeastern Pennsylvania, with which industry he has been identified since leaving school, was born Aug. 14, 1830, in Gibraltar, then Seideltown, son of Reuben B. and Maria Louisa (Yundt) Seidel.

The forerunners of this large and distinguished Berks county family were three brothers, emigrants from Sweden prior to the War of the Revolution, one of whom, the great-great-grandfather of Henry C. Seidel, became a large owner of land in Longswamp township, Berks county. This he sold later to purchase a tract near Stony Creek, just above the Stony Creek Mills, in Exeter township, where he erected an iron forge, subsequently becoming one of the pioneer ironmasters of Berks county. He had three sons: Benjamin, Philip and Nicholas, the first named of whom became associated with his father in the forge at Stony Creek, and the latter two removed to where the village of Gibraltar is located. Nicholas afterward built what are now known as the Yocum forges in Cumru township, which he operated for some years, and then sold, removing to Reading, where the remainder of his life was spent in retirement. Philip Seidel, the great-grandfather of Henry C., remained in Seideltown, where he owned a large property, on which he carried on agricultural operations.

Jonathan Seidel, the grandfather of Henry C., was one of the pioneer ironmasters of Robeson township. During his early days he engaged in a tanning business at Pine Grove, Schuylkill county, and later removed to Seideltown, building the Seidel forges, which he operated until his death. He married Susan Barr, by whom he had these children: John B., deceased, who was a member of the State Legislature, and who was interested in the iron forges at Marysville, Perry county; Henry B., who was an ironmaster of Lebanon county, and for a number of years a part proprietor of the Seidel-Hastings Company Rolling Mills, of Wilmington, Del.; Mrs. John Bechtel, deceased; Reuben B.; and Mrs. Elizabeth Thompson, a resident of Reading.

Reuben B. Seidel was born in Pine Grove, Schuylkill Co., Pa., Oct. 21, 1821, and after attaining his majority removed to Seideltown with his father, with whom he became associated in the iron business. At the time of his father's death, he fell heir to the business, which he conducted until 1865, when he sold his forges. In 1866, with Henry Wile, of Reading, he started a black lead crucible and fire brick works, at 1324-1334 Callowhill street, Philadelphia, and they carried on the business for a short time. Soon Mr. Seidel became sole owner and, discontinuing the making of fire brick, devoted his entire attention to the making of black lead crucibles. He was a member of St. John's Lutheran church, of Robeson township. He died in 1892, on his seventy-first birthday.

Reuben G. Seidel was married to Maria Louisa Yundt, daughter of Henry Yundt, a cattle dealer of Blue Ball, Lancaster county, and to this union there were born children as follows: Henry Clay; Robert D., a manufacturer of coal buckets for mine use; Edgar B., also a manufacturer of crucibles at Tacony, Pa.; Maria Louise; Mary B., deceased; Susan B., who married Charles T. Evans, of Tacony; Sallie D., twin of Susan B.; Heber L., an employe of the Philadelphia Black Lead Crucible Works; Dora G.,; Horace Y., also connected with the Philadelphia Black Lead Crucible Works; and Roberta C., who resides at home.

Henry Clay Seidel received his preliminary education in the public schools, and later attended Lititz Academy, and William F. Wyer's Military Academy at West Chester, Pa., from which latter institution he was graduated in 1869. Aug. 1, 1870, when but twenty years of age, Mr. Seidel began operating the Exeter Steam Forge, which he was compelled to operate under his father's name, as he was not of age. This business, which was organized by Hennon and Son, had not, up to that time, proved a success, but Mr. Seidel took up the business to save his own money, he having been a heavy investor in the enterprise. He immediately caused improved machinery to be installed in the plant, including a much heavier hammer, and since that time the business has grown steadily and prospered accordingly. The plant operates continuously, employing twenty hands, and furnishing iron products to the Baldwin Locomotive Works and the Reading Railroad Company. At the time of his father's death, the Philadelphia Black Lead Crucible Works was taken in charge by R. B. Seidel's estate, which appointed Henry Clay Seidel manager of the business, and in 1895 it was organized and incorporated, with Mr. Seidel as president. This business, which manufactures a superior article of crucibles, employs forty-five men, and has been a success since its incorporation.

In April, 1878, Mr. Seidel was married to Josephine C. Seltzer, the estimable daughter of the late Dr. John H. Seltzer, of Philadelphia, and two children were born to this union: Blanche Irene, who married Harry W. Spera, of Philadelphia; and Walter F., who die din infancy.

Mr. Seidel is a member of Reading Council, Royal Arcanum. In politics he is an active Republican, for many years was township chairman for the Republican party, and has also held the office of township auditor.


SEIDEL, HENRY G.

p 1249

Surnames: SEIDEL, RODMACHER, REBER, STITZLER, KRAUSE, FUSSELMAN, GERHART, DREIBELBIS, SMITH, DIETRICH, KLINE, MOYER, TREXLER, FRAUNFELDER, SCHAEFFER, LUCKENBILL, DIETRICH, SPEARS, BALTHASER, BAER, WESSNER, LUTZ, TROXEL, MERKEL, HEFFNER, BOND, MERKEL, STRASSER, HEFFNER, GRUBER, SUNDAY

Henry G. Seidel, residing some two miles from Windsor Castle, in Windsor township, is a member of one of the oldest and largest families in the state, whose representatives have for generations been among the most substantial and reliable citizens of Pennsylvania.

(I) The first Seidel to come to America was Johann Heinrich, who was a native of Strasburg, Germany, born in 1732, He crossed the ocean on the ship "Brothers," and on landing at Philadelphia, Sept. 10, 1751, was, according to a custom of the time, sold for his passage, as he was too poor to pay for his own way. The following year he obtained his freedom and immediately proceeded to Reading, Berks county, where in time he became a large land owner, possessing property in Bern Township and a tract of 400 acres in Maiden-creek township. Farming was his chief occupation and brought him large returns, but during a period beginning with 1786 Mr. Seidel returned to Germany and entered upon mercantile ventures there. He was, however, mainly identified with Maiden-creek township, where he operated his farm for many years. In his earlier life he saw considerable military service, participating in the Indian Wars under Capt. Hiester and later in the Revolutionary struggle, while his wife and children carried on the farm meantime.

In 1760 Johann Heinrich Seidel married Anna Catherine Rodmacher, who was born Jan. 19, 1738. She died Feb. 9, 1808, aged seventy years and twenty days. Her husband died some years earlier, Aug. 21, 1801, at the age of sixty-nine years, four months and twenty-one days, and his last resting-place is in the graveyard of Zion's Church in Perry township, the spot marked by a heavy marble slab. Johann Heinrich and Anna Seidel had six son, Michael, Henry, Daniel, John, Philip and Jacob, and three daughters, only two of whom, Mary and Margaret are recorded by name. It is supposed the third daughter died in infancy. From the second son, Henry, comes one large branch of the Seidel family. He was born Nov. 12, 1765, and died Aug. 7, 1847. He married Elizabeth Reber and from 1791, on, they made their home on the Seidel homestead in Windsor township, where they reared a family of fourteen children, ten of them growing to maturity.

(II) John Seidel, fourth son of Johann, was the grandfather of Henry G. Seidel. Born in Windsor township in 1777, John Seidel was a lifelong farmer there, and died in 1856. He became a very wealthy man and owned several large farms, one of the most valuable being on the State Road, near St. Paul's Church. He married Miss Catherine Stitzler, and had issue as follows: Godfrey; Daniel; John; Joseph, who settled in the West; Reuben; William; Catherine, Mrs. Nathan Krause; and Mrs. Fusselman.

(III) William Seidel was born on the Windsor homestead in 1818 and died in 1899, in his eighty-first year. Like his father, he was an extensive landowner, having one farm of 176 acres in Windsor township, one of 165 acres in Greenwich township, one of 75 in Bucks county, and one of 150 in Lehigh county, During most of his active life he lived in Windsor township, where he was a well known citizen, and one especially interested in advancing education, serving efficiently for some time as school director for his district. For a number of years before his death, however, Mr. Seidel resided in Virginville.

William Seidel was twice married. His first wife, whose maiden name was Christian Gerhart, born him five sons, namely: Montillus, born in January, 1841; Henry G.; Francis; John; and William. By the second wife, Susanna Dreibelbis, there was a large family, as follows: Ellen m. S. Paul Smith; Charles m. Miss Sarah Dietrich; William m. Miss Barbara Kline; Susan M. William Moyer; Fannie m. (first) Benjamin Trexler, and (second) W. Adams Fraunfelder; Mahlon m. Miss Valeria Schaeffer; George m. Miss Luckenbill; and Mary m. Reuben Dietrich. The family were at one time members of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, but after removing to Virginville Mr. and Mrs. Seidel united with Dunkel's Church in that town, and at their death their remains were interred in that graveyard.

(IV) Henry G. Seidel was born March 23, 1843, on the Seidel farm in Windsor township. He entered the public school the first year it was established in that district, and was instructed in the rudiments by Alfred Spears. At the age of sixteen he left school and learning the trade of a mason, worked at it for two years, and then returned to his father's farm to assist there. From 1870 till 1890 he was with his father-in-law, John Balthaser, working his farm with him on shares. At the end of that period Mr. Seidel bought the farm where he now lives, consisting of 126 acres of excellent land. He is a capable and successful farmer and as a citizen is held in high estimation. He, too, has worked for better educational advantages in the district, has been a school director and helped to secure the erection of Balthaser's school.

On Nov. 25, 1865, Henry G. Seidel and Emma Balthaser were united in marriage, the latter a daughter of John and Kate (Baer) Balthaser, and granddaughter of John Balthaser. To their union twelve children have been born, as follows: Fianna, Aug. 15, 1866, m. (first) Edward Wessner and (second) John Lutz; Darius A., Feb. 25, 1868, m Miss Annie Troxel; Isadora, July 1, 1869, m. Edward S. Merkel; Elmira, Dec. 25, 1870, m. Wilson Heffner; Satira, Sept. 13, 1872, m. Charles Bond; Catherine, Jan. 18, 1874, m. (first) the late George Merkel, and (second) Cornelius Strasser; Andrew J., July 16, 1875, m. Valeria Heffner; Alice, Jan. 5, 1877, who died aged twenty-four; Lavoda, March 23, 1878, m. Mahlon Gruber; Irwin H., Nov. 23, 1879, m. Miss Alice Sunday; Milton W., July 29, 1881, unmarried; and Minnie, March 23, 1996, who died at the age of three years, ten months and five days. Mr. Seidel and his family attend Zion's Church, in which he served three years as an elder, and of which he is a loyal supporter. He is an influential man in the community and a worthy representative of the old family to which he belongs.


SEIDEL, HENRY U.

p. 1481

Surnames: SEIDEL, UNGER, RODMACHER, SEYDEL, ZUNBROHIN, GRUBER, ROBINSON, BECKER, GICKER, SNYDER, FAUST, STROUSE, UNGER, FRITTERICH, HETTINGER, MOYER, MACHMER, MANGER, WERT, LOOSE, SEYFRIT, HULL

Henry U. Seidel, who is engaged in farming in Bern township, was born on his father's farm near Seidel's school-house, Feb. 14, 1852, son of Michael and Caroline (Unger) Seidel.

The first of the name to come America was Johann Heinrich, who was born in Straussberg, Germany, in 1732. He crossed the Atlantic on the ship "Brothers," landing at Philadelphia Sept. 10, 1751. According to the custom of the time, he was sold for his passage, as he was too poor to pay his own way. He obtained his freedom the next year, and proceeded to Reading, Berks county , Pa., where in time he became a large land owner, having considerable property in Bern township, and 400 acres in Maiden-creek township. Farming became his occupation, and he became very well-to-do. In 1786 he returned to Germany and entered a mercantile business there. He was, however, chiefly identified with the farming interests of Maiden -creek township. In his early days, in this country he participated in the Indian wars under Capt. Hiester, and later he served in the Revolutionary war. During the latter struggle his wife and children carried on the farm. In 1760 Johann Heinrich was married Anna Catharine Rodmacher, who was born Jan. 19, 1738, and who died Feb. 9, 1808. He died Aug. 21, 1801, and was laid to rest at Zion's Church, in Perry township, the spot being marked by a heavy marble stone. To Johann Heinrich and Anna Catharine (Rodmacher) Seidel were born six son?-Michael, Henry, Daniel, John, Philip and Jacob-and three daughter-Mary, Margaret and one whose name is not recorded (probably deceased in infancy).

Michael Seydel (as he spelled the name), son of Johann Heinrich the emigrant, was born in Bern township, Oct. 28, 1761, and he died there Feb. 24, 1837, after a life devoted to the tilling of the soil. He married Catharine Zunbrohin, born March 8, 1765, and died Nov. 29, 1830, and both are buried in the old cemetery at Bern Church. Among their children were: Daniel, born 1793, died 1877; Michael, who owned a farm in Upper Tulpehocken, on which he died, had a son Daniel, who lived at Strausstown; Elizabeth, born 1798, died 1883; Johannes, born 1800, died 1873; and two daughters, one of whom married Michael Gruber, and the other, his cousin, William Gruber.

Daniel Seidel, son of Michael, was born on his father's farm Aug. 22, 1793, and his death occurred March 4, 1877, his remains being interred at Bern church, of which he was an official Lutheran member. He was an extensive farmer in Bern township, owning three tracts, consisting in all of 500 acres. He was a man of wealth and prominence, and exerted great influence in the community. At his death each of his seven children received seven thousand ($7000) dollars. He married Martha Robinson, born Nov. 1, 1798, and died Oct. 11, 1873. Their children were: Benneville, born 1822, lived in Bern township, had fourteen children who all lived to maturity, and he died in 1888; Michael; Mary m. Abraham Becker, of Bern township; Eliza m. Daniel Gicker; Lavina m. John Snyder; Elias, born 1836, m. Caroline Faust, had two sons, Elias and Francis F. (The latter a prominent undertaker at Reading), and he died in 1862; and Lucy m. Jacob Strouse, of Penn township.

Michael Seidel, son of Daniel, was born on the family home in Bern township in 1824, and he died in August, 1886. He was a laborer, working for a number of years in the stone quarry. He owned a tract of twenty-eight acres near Seidel's school. He was a Lutheran member of Bern Church, and his remains rest in the cemetery there. He married Caroline Unger, daughter of Daniel Unger, and their seven children were: Henry U.; Amos of near Strausstown, m. Caroline Fretterich, and has children-John, William, Harry and Stella; Isabella m. Jonathan Hettinger, of Kansas; Rosabella m. Frank Moyer, of Reading; Annabella m. Morgan Machmer, of Reading; Alicerabella m. George Manger (both deceased); Oliver lives in Kansas.

Henry U. Seidel received his education in the district schools and early became familiar with farming. He worked for his father until he attained his majority, and the next few years were passed at farm labor among farmers in Centre township. At the end of four years he married, and then found work in a lime stone quarry. In 1870 he began farming near his father's place, and he tenanted twelve years in Bern township, and two years in Centre township. In 1884 he bought his present farm of sixty-six acres, located in the upper end of Bern township, in the Seidel school district. He built the present barn, 36 x 55. feet in 1894 and the wagon shed, 24 x 28. the same year. He has three good horses and five head of cattle. In his political belief Mr. Seidel is a Democrat. With his family he attends Salem United Brethren Church in Tilden township.

In 1874 Mr. Seidel was married to Matilda Wert, daughter of Benjamin and Matilda (Loose) Wert, and granddaughter of Daniel Wert. Five children have come to bless their home, namely: Nora, died aged five years, less two days; Gertrude, died aged two years, nine months, three days; Tamey m. Frank Seyfrit, of Bern township; Jennie m. James Hull, of Bern township; and Ammon, at home


SEIDEL, JACOB J.

p. 853

Surnames: SEIDEL, SEIBERT, RATHMACKER, BOSSLER, FOX, SHOEMAKER, HAINES, MOLL, GEORGE, HUEY, LOOSE, REBER, MENGEL

Jacob J. Seidel. Among the highly esteemed retired citizens of Shoemakersville, Pa., may be mentioned Jacob J. Seidel, who for some years was engaged in business at that place. He was born Oct. 11, 1849, in Windsor township, Berks county, son of Benjamin and Catherine (Seibert) Seidel.

Henry Seidel, great-grandfather of Jacob J., was born in 1732, in Strasbourg, Germany, and in 1751 emigrated to America. He was a redemptioner, and in 1752 on obtaining his freedom located in Reading, participating in the French and Indian war three years later under Captain Hiester. He also served in the Revolutionary war, and during this time his wife and children conducted the farm. In about 1760, Henry Seidel married Elizabeth Rathmacker, and to this union were born: Michael, Henry, Daniel, John, Philip, Jacob, Mary and Margaret.

Jacob Seidel, son of Henry, was born in 1786, and died in 1847. He was an extensive land owner in Windsor township, where his possessions aggregated 287 acres, a great portion of the territory now covered by the town of Shoemakersville being owned by him. He was a substantial citizen and was very influential in his district. He was a member of Zion's Church. Jacob Seidel married Elizabeth Bossler, and they had children: Benjamin; Jacob (m. Mary Fox); Solomon (m. Rebecca Shoemaker); David (m. Leah Haines); Henry (m. Elizabeth Seidel); Daniel (m. Mary Fox); Elizabeth (m. Jonathan George); and Amelia (m. Jacob Huey).

Benjamin Seidel, son of Jacob, born Sept. 11, 1811, was a farmer on the Seidel homestead, situated southeast of the village of Shoemakersville, this tract consisting of 180 acres of land, which he owned. He was a successful man and prominent in his time, serving the district as school director and auditor. In politics he was a Democrat. Mr. Seidel and his family were connected with the Union Church, belonging to the Lutheran denomination, and he helped to build the church in 1852, being one of the board of trustees. He died Feb. 9, 1881. On Jan. 13, 1846, he married Catherine Seibert, born Oct. 17, 1815, daughter of Jacob Seibert, of Jackson township, Lebanon county. She died April 22, 1900, the mother of children as follow: Alfred S., a business man of Reading, m. Helen Loose; Jacob J.; and Monroe S. m. Hannah Reber.

Jacob J. Seidel, obtained his education in the local schools and at the Quaker Seminary at Carversville, Bucks county, after leaving which he was successfully engaged in school teaching for some years in Greenwich, Perry and Upper Bern townships. For four years he operated on the old Seidel homestead in Windsor township, leaving that occupation to spend several years in Ohio. He returned in 1880, and followed cigarmaking for ten years in Shoemakersville, and was then a salesman for some years. The last few years he has lived retired. Mr. Seidel is a Democrat in his political belief, and served the township of Perry as auditor for fifteen years.

In 1872 Mr. Seidel was married to Mylanta Mengel, daughter of Samuel Mengel. No children were born to this union.


SEIDEL, MABRY S.

p. 932

Surnames: SEIDEL, SHEIDY, HEISTER, RODMACHER, REBER, STITZLER, SUNDAY, GERHART, DREIBELBIS, KRAUSE, FUSSELMAN, FISTER, BAUSHER, BECKER, HOLLENBACH, SAUL, KEEFER, BARR, CHRIST

Mabry S. Seidel, a leading business man of Hamburg, Berks Co., Pa., who is the proprietor of the Physicians' Supply Company, at Hamburg, was born Aug. 29, 1863, in Windsor township, son of Jonathan and Matilda (Sheidy) Seidel.

Johann Heinrich Seidel, the progenitor of the Seidel family in America, was born in 1732 at Straussberg, Germany. He crossed the Atlantic ocean on the ship "Brothers," and on landing at Philadelphia, Sept. 10, 1751, was sold as a "redemptioner" for his passage. One year afterward he was set free, and at once proceeded to Reading, Pa. In time he became a large property owner in Bern township, Berks county, also owning a tract of 400 acres in Maiden-creek township, where for many years he was a successful farmer. Farming was his principal vacation in life, but at times he engaged in mercantile ventures. In 1786 Mr. Seidel returned to Germany. In early life he saw considerable military service, participating in the French and Indian war under Captain Hiester, and later took part in the war of the Revolution. While he was in the army his wife and children carried on the farming operations. In 1760 he married Anna Catharine Rodmacher, who was born Jan. 19, 1738, and died Feb. 9, 1808. He died Aug. 21, 1801, at the age of sixty-nine years, four months, twenty-one days. Their last resting-place is in the graveyard of Zion's Union Church, in Perry township, and the spot is marked by a heavy marble slab. Their children were as follows: Michael, Henry, Daniel, John, Philip, Jacob, and three daughters, but two of whom, Mary and Margaret, are recorded by name. It is supposed that the third daughter died in infancy. From the second son, Henry, comes one large branch of the Seidel family. Henry Seidel was born Nov. 12, 1765, and died Aug. 7, 1847. He married Elizabeth Reber, and from 1791 on they made their home upon the Seidel homestead in Windsor township, Berks county. They had a family of fourteen children, of whom the following reached mature age: Daniel, Henry, Jacob, Elizabeth, Sarah, Catharine, Mary Hannah and Rebecca.

John Seidel, the fourth son of Johann Heinrich, and the great-grandfather of Mabry E., was born in 1777 and died in 1856. He was an extensive land-owner in Windsor township, owning several large properties, one of which was on the State road near St. Paul's Church, in Windsor township, where he was buried. He was a well-known and prominent citizen in his day, and took a leading part in public-spirited movements. Mr. Seidel married Catharine Stitzler, who born him the following children: Godfrey, born in 1800, married Mary Sunday, and died in 1868; Daniel was a resident of Wessnersville, Pa.,; John settled in Illinois; Joseph went West; Reuben was the grandfather of Mabry E.; William, born in 1818, married (first) Christina Gerhart and (second) Susanna Dreibelbis, and died in 1899; Catharine married Nathan Krause: Elizabeth married Gideon Fusselman.

Reuben Seidel, grandfather of Mabry E., was born in Windsor township in 1816, and died in 1887. He was a well-know distiller of Windsor township, but in later years retired, removing to Hamburg, where the latter years of his life were spent. He married (first) Catharine Fister, who had the following children: Elemena, who married Daniel Sheidy; Jonathan; Emanuel; Peter F.; Reuben F.; Catherine, who married Frank Bausher; Wallace B.; and John H., who settled in Nebraska. Reuben Seidel's second wife was Mrs. Hettie Seidel, nee Becker.

Jonathan Seidel, son of Reuben, was born in 1839, in Windsor township, but for a number of years resided in Greenwich township, where he owned a farm of fifty acres. In 1878 he sold out, and with his family removed to near Pine Grove, Schuylkill county, where he owned a farm of more than two hundred acres. At this place he conducted a sawmill, while his son managed the farm, and at the time of his death Mr. Seidel was in very comfortable circumstances. In 1860 he married Matilda Sheidy, daughter of Jacob and Catherine (Hollenbach) Sheidy, and to them were born these children: Agnes, who married Jacob Saul; Mabry E.; and Alva L. and Annie E., unmarried.

Mabry E. Seidel attended the schools of his native district until he was fifteen years of age, when his father removed to Pine Grove, Schuylkill county, having purchased a large farm one mile east of that place. The father attended to the management of the sawmill, while Mabry, with outside help, cultivated the farm, and also attended school for three winters. He remained in his father's employ until he was twenty-four years old, at which time he removed to Pottsville, and for five years worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad Company. He then went back to Pine Grove, and became a traveling salesman for the Keefer Pharmaceutical Company, of South Bend, Ind. In 1898 Mr. Seidel located in Hamburg and engaged in his present business, having a wholesale drug and physicians' supply house, which he has carried on to the present time. His business, which is a large and profitable one, is rapidly increasing, and his goods are well and favorably known throughout eastern Pennsylvania. His place of business is situated at Nos. 5 and 7 North Fourth street, Hamburg, and not only in this borough, but in every place in this section of Pennsylvania, Mr. Seidel is known as a business man of upright principles, his fair dealing and the high standard of his good having won the confidence and patronage of the trade of his section. In politics Mr. Seidel is a Democrat and he has served his town as school director and delegate to county conventions; at the present time he is a member of the borough council. He and his family are members of St. John's Lutheran church, of which he has been a deacon and is now serving as trustee.

Mr. Seidel has been twice married, his first wife having been Esther A. Keefer, daughter of Reuben and Susan (Barr) Keefer, of Pine Grove, Pa., to whom he was married June 30, 1888. They had these children: R. Warren, a graduate of the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy; and Edna M. and Esther A., both of whom are at home. Mrs. Esther A. Seidel passed away at Pottsville, Pa., Sept. 8, 1895, and was buried at Pine Grove.

Mr. Seidel's second marriage, on May 26, 1898, was to Fannie M. Christ, daughter of Lewis Christ. To this union has been born one daughter, Evelyn M. Socially Mr. Seidel is a member of the Royal Arcanum; of Vaux Lodge, No. 406, F. & A. M., Hamburg, of which he was an officer for three years; and of Reading Lodge of Perfection.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:57:08 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.