Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

SCOTT, WILLIAM A.

p. 826

Surnames: SCOTT, KLINGER, BELL, FESIG, STITZEL, RUPP, LEWARS, MILLER, SEAMAN, KEMMERER, FAUST, DERR, DALIOUS, REBER, BALTHASER, FRY

William A. Scott was a prominent and extensive carriage manufacturer of Hamburg, Pa. He was born at Port Carbon, Aug. 3, 1840, and he died Dec. 2, 1902.

Robert Scott, son of John Scott, and grandfather of William A., was a direct descendant of one of the oldest families of Scotland. In the "History of the Scotch-Irish in America," the name of Robert Scott figures back as far as 1562, from the same district in Northern Ireland from which this family hail. The grandfather was born Aug. 20, 1764, in Belfast, Ireland, emigrating from that place in 1799, and located in Hamburg, Berks Co, Pa., in 1803 or 1804. On March 10, 1806, he married Catherine Klinger, an emigrant of Germany, born in that country Nov. 10, 1780, who died at Hamburg, March 20, 1855. Robert Scott belonged to the oldest Masonic Lodge of Reading. He brought with him from the land of his nativity a certificate or traveling card of the A. Y. Mason's Lodge of Belfast, Ireland, of which he was a member, recommending him to all good Masons of the world. From all accounts he was accompanied to this country by his cousin Samuel Bell, who located in Reading, Pa., and who left a large posterity. Robert Scott had these children: John W.; Mary Matilda m. Arthur Fesig, and had children---Lizzie, William, Sarah, Mary, Arthur and Ida; Sarah m. (first) Robert Stitzel, had one son, Robert, and m. (second) John Rupp, and had children---John and Sarah Mason; Elizabeth, born in 1810, died three years later.

John W. Scott, father of William A., was born Feb. 25, 1814. He was a merchant of Hamburg for many years, and died Oct. 23, 1892, while his wife, Rebecca Lewars, born June 27, 1815, died June 12, 1895. They had issue, namely: Robert H.; Susan, born in 1838, died in 1882; William Arthur; Charles E.; Henry L,; Walter H.; Hannah E.; and Mary Elizabeth, who died in youth.

When William A. Scott was about ten years old his parents removed to Hamburg, where he was educated in the local schools. He left school at an early age to learn coachmaking in Kutztown, with R. Miller. When the Civil war broke out. Mr. Scott's patriotism caused him to enlist in Company M. 1st Pa. Cav., organized July 20, 1861, at Reading. He was discharged as third sergeant, his regiment serving throughout the war and participating in the fiercest and bloodiest battles of the conflict.

The regiment was stationed directly back of the Bloody Angle at Gettysburg, and also participated among others, in the following: Cross Keys, Cedar Mountain, Bull Run, Fredericksburg. After the close of the war Sergeant Scott went home and connected himself with the National Guard. He was elected second lieutenant of Company E, 4th Regt., later becoming adjutant, under Major C. F. Seaman. He was in the service of the State for many years, ad was unanimously offered the captaincy of the company, but was compelled to refuse on account of ill health.

In 1866 Mr. Scott engaged in the carriage building business on State street, Hamburg, Pa., which he followed successfully until his death in 1902. After his death his son, Samuel F., and James Kemmerer formed a partnership which succeeded him in a well established business.

On Jan. 11, 1869, Mr. Scott m. Emma M. Faust, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Derr) Faust. To this union, were born children as follow: Mary E., deceased, m. Thomas Dalious; Laura R., is now a popular school teacher of Hamburg; Samuel F. m. Phelephe Reber; Allen F. m. Myra Balthaser; Dr. John C. is a graduate of and Demonstrator in Physiology at the Medico-Chirurgical College and a graduate of the College of Pharmacy, both of Philadelphia, Pa. (he m. Florence M. Fry); Lena M. died in 1900 aged twenty years; Eva Henrietta is a graduate of Oberlin College, Ohio; and Emma Louise is a stenographer for the Consumers Gas Company, Reading.


SCULL, WILLIAM O.

p. 1334

Surnames: SCULL, CALL, BRIGHT, BINGAMAN, SNYDER, SHAFFER

William O. Scull of Reading, proprietor of the Edward Scull & Company plumbing and steam heating establishment, was born May 29, 1862, in Reading, son of Edward and Catherine (Call) Scull, and a descendant of Nicholas Scull, supervisor general of Pennsylvania.

Mark Biddle Scull, the grandfather of William O., was father of the following children: Mark; James; Lewis; Charles; Edward; Elizabeth m. James Bright; Amelia also married; Martha m. Thomas Bingaman; Kate m. Augustus Snyder; one died unmarried. Mark Biddle Scull was superintendent of the Reading water department for many years, and a man of prominence and influence in his day.

Edward Scull, who was the founder of Edward Scull & Company, learned the plumbing, gas fitting and steam heating trades, which he followed throughout life, his death occurring Feb. 5, 1902. He married Catherine Call, and to this union there were born four children: William O.; Edward M., deceased; Mary M., deceased; and Susan C., who married George W. Shaffer, has four children: Mary, Catherine, Henry and Edward. In religious belief the family were Lutherans. Mr. Scull was a Democrat, and for several years served as councilman from the Seventh Ward of Reading. Fraternally he was a member of Lodge No. 62, F. & A. M., and had reached the thirty-second degree of Masonry.


SEAMAN, MOSES B.

p. 939

Surnames: SEAMAN, BECKER, SCHLAPPIG, KAUFFMAN, KLINE, LOEB, MACHMER, GESCHWINDT, SEIBERT, SAVAGE, WAGNER, MECK, MARBURGER, CLAUSER, SNYDER, STUMP

Moses B. Seaman, a substantial citizen of Hamburg, Pa., who carries on an extensive milling business at State and Canal streets, was born Aug. 14, 1854, in Upper Bern (now Tilden) township, Berks county, son of David and Mary (Becker) Seaman.

Johan Ludwig Seaman, his great-great-grandfather, was a native of Germany, and prior to coming to America was for eight years a member of the body-guard of Frederick the Great of Prussia. He emigrated to America in 1748, landing at Philadelphia October 25th of that year, and soon thereafter removed to Bern, which later became Upper Bern and now is Tilden township. He had at least three sons: Eberhart, Ludwig and John.

John Seaman married Elizabeth Schlappig, and to them were born children as follows: John, Christian, Samuel, Catherine, Elizabeth, Magdalena, Christiana, Maria, and Johan George (the grandfather of Moses B.).

Johan George Seaman, who owned the old homestead in Upper Bern (now Tilden) township, a tract which then consisted of 275 acres, lived on the place now occupied by John Becker. He was in comfortable circumstances and was well and favorably known in upper Berks county. Mr. Seaman married Magdalena Kauffman, and to them were born these children: John; William; George, Jr.; David, the father of Moses B.; Reuben; Mary, who married Samuel Kline; Rebecca, who married William Loeb; Hester, who married Benneville Machmer; Catherine, who married William Machmer; and Eliza, who married John Geschwindt.

David Seaman, who is a well-to-do retired farmer of Tilden township, was born Jan. 27, 1827. His whole life has been spent in agricultural pursuits, and his valuable farm, which consists of 100 acres, contains some of the best land of the section and is a part of the original Seaman homestead. Mr. Seaman is well known throughout his section of the county as a hardworking, progressive agriculturist and one of the pillars of St. Michael's Union Church, his membership being with the Lutheran denomination. He has served the congregation as deacon, trustee and elder for many years, and did much toward the erection of the present church, which was built in 1875, in the way of money, material and hauling.

Mr. Seaman married Mary Becker, daughter of John Becker, whose wife was a Kauffman. To this union have been born children as follows: Moses B. is mentioned below; Percival married Adeline Kauffman; Levi B. married Ida Seibert; George married Kate Savage; Harrison died aged fourteen years; Annie married Nathaniel Wagner; Milton died when ten years old; Lizzie married Frank Meck.

Moses B. Seaman spent his boyhood days on the old Seaman homestead, a part of which belonged to his father, and received his education in the public schools, attending until eighteen years of age. At this time he learned the milling trade with Jonathon Marburger, of Upper Bern, with whom he continued for three years, then taking charge of the Laurel Run mill, in Alsace township, which he successfully conducted during 1878. In 1879 he removed to Hamburg, and for twenty years operated the Union Roller Mills with much success, his business increasing rapidly. In 1899 Mr. Seaman leased the Hamburg Rolling Mills for three years, and in 1903 he purchased this valuable property, which he has conducted to the present time. This large plant is situated at the corner of Canal and State streets, Hamburg, and here Mr. Seaman manufactures thirty-five barrels of flour every twelve hours or about 10,000 barrels per annum. His trade extends through Berks and Schuylkill counties, and into larger cities of the East, including Philadelphia and New York. He manufactures a variety of high-grade brands of flour, among the best known being the "Excelsior," "Michigan Empire" and "Silver Spray." Mr. Seaman is possessed of much business acumen, and he sustains an honestly won reputation for integrity and fair dealing. He is a prominent member of the Pennsylvania Milling Association. In political matters he and his sons are stalwart Republicans, and manifest an interest in the success of that party. Mr. Seaman and his family are members of St. John's Lutheran Church at Hamburg, to the erection of which church Mr. Seaman contributed liberally.

On April 9, 1876, Mr. Seaman was united in marriage with Rebecca S. Clauser, daughter of Harrison and Rebecca (Snyder) Clauser, and to this union were born the following children: Dr. Stephen W.; Capt. Claudius M.; Aaron and David, who died in childhood; Henry L., a graduate of Hamburg high school, class of 1906, now learning milling with his father; Evan F., a graduate of the Hamburg high school, class of 1908; Eva, twin of Evan, at home; and Florence and May, also at home.

Dr. Stephen W. Seaman graduated from the Hamburg high school and the Medico-Chirurgical College of Philadelphia, and first practised medicine at Wernersville, Pa., in 1900 locating in the practice of his profession at Lenhartsville. He had an extensive patronage and was a very successful young physician, but his career was cut short by death Aug. 11, 1903, in his twenty-seventh year. Dr. Seaman married Lizzie Stump, daughter of Tilghman Stump, and to them was born one son, Kermit George.

Capt. Claudius M. Seaman, a graduate of the Hamburg high school class of 1897, joined Company E, 4th Pa. N. G., when but fifteen years old, and accompanied his regiment through the Porto Rican campaign, serving as first sergeant. In 1899, after he had passed a very creditable examination, he was appointed by President William McKinley second lieutenant of Company E, 43d Regiment United States Volunteers. This regiment saw active service in the Philippines, and for gallantry in action Lieutenant Seaman was promoted to the rank of first Lieutenant, and in that office served in the regular army of the United States, being attached to the 21st Battery, Field Artillery, stationed at Fort Sheridan, Ill. In April, 1907, he was promoted to the rank of captain, after passing a highly creditable examination, and is now stationed at Fort Williams, Portland, Maine.


SECHLER FAMILY

p. 1653

Surnames: SECHLER, BOLICH, BANKES, SHEETZ, IRWIN, FUSSELMAN, LEISER, DONAT, KISTLER, LEININGER, SNYDER, BAILEY, LUTZ, KUNKEL, LONG, DIETRICH, FAUST, BRAUCHER, ERMENTROUT, PETRY, ALTENDERFER, EMORE, KELLER

The early history of the Sechler family in America is somewhat traditional, but it is known that individuals of that name came from Switzerland and located in Lynn township, Lehigh county, about the middle of the eighteenth century. The first definite knowledge appears about 1775, when the names of Andrew, Frederic, and Adam Sechler begin to appear in church and county records, these three undoubtedly being brothers. In 1829 a Frederich Sechler died in Lynn township. His will is on record at Allentown, and Jacob Sechler was executor. This same gentleman had officiated as executor of the will of Joseph Sechler, the date being 1823. Of the three brothers referred to Andrew Sechler was the great grandfather of Levi, of this review. He lived in Lynn township, and both he and his wife are recorded as members of Jacksonville Church. A grandchild, Mary Bolich, born in 1823, and still living, is authority for the statement that Andrew Sechler died in 1830, and that both grandparents are buried in the Jacksonville churchyard. His will is on record at Allentown, his sons, Henry and Jacob, signing it as executors. The maiden name of his wife was Bankes, and she bore the following children: Henry; Jacob; Frederick; Joseph; Andrew; Elizabeth, who married a Mr. Sheetz; and several other children, whose names are not of record, scattered throughout the West. Note is made here of the will of an Andreas Sechler and his wife Elizabeth, on record at Allentown, which mentions the name of David Irwin as a son-in-law. Among other children this couple had John, John Andreas and Joseph.

Grandfather Joseph Sechler was a farmer in Lynn township, of which he was a native. His birth date is recorded as May 16, 1781, his death August 4, 1858, the span of his life thus being seventy-seven years, two months, eighteen days. He was a man of influence and being connected with the progressive movements of his day. His wife's name was Maria Fusselman, her birth being recorded as May 4, 1796, death April 3, 1842, at age fifty-one years, ten months, and eleven days. They were members of the Reformed congregation at Jacksonville, where they lie buried. Their children were twelve in number as follows: Levi, had nine children; Rudolph had five children; Leah married David Leiser; Joel; Catharine married Levi Donat; Joseph had eleven children; Jacob had four children; James; Mary married William Bolich, was born 1823, and still living; Benjamin; Rebecca married Daniel Kistler; Sarah married Benjamin Leininger.

Joel Sechler, the father of Levi, also was born in Lynn township, August 13, 1817. He lived to the age of seventy-seven years, five months, dying in Albany township January 14, 1895, and was buried at New Bethel Church. He was a successful farmer and a man of keen judgement, which he exercised in the buying and selling of different farm tracts. For periods during his lifetime he owned the: "Jefferson Snyder" farm, the "Jacob Kunkel" property, the "Albert Bailey" tract, and the farm now in possession of his son Levi. He seems to have been interested in education and good government generally, serving as school director, and in some of the minor offices of the township. Mary Lutz, daughter of Henry Lutz, was his wife, and they had thirteen children: Sarah widow of Jacob Kunkel; Levi; Elias, Amanda, and Rebecca, who died early in life; Mary m. Amandus Long; Hannah became the wife of William S. Dietrich, of Wetherly, Pa.; Malinda m. Albert Faust; Caroline m. Henry S. Dietrich; Catharine became the wife of Louis S. Bailey; Ellen, deceased, wife of Jefferson Snyder; Emma m. Albert S. Bailey; Jane, the wife of Albert C. Braucher. The mother of this family was born Christmas Day, 1820, and died March 29, 1905, aged eighty-four years, three months, and four days.

Levi Sechler is a native of Lynn township, his birth occurring August 24, 1842. He received a common school education and served his parents on the farm until his twenty-fourth year, when he set up an establishment of his own. During this period he also secured a license to teach from Prof. John S. Ermentrout, then county superintendent, and taught the New Bethel School, No. 3, two four-month terms, at the munificent salary of $22 per month. Mr. Sechler then began farming for himself in the spring of 1867, on the same farm which his son now operates. He continued farming operations until the spring of 1899, when he retired in favor of his son, William.

Another event which happened in his twenty-fourth year was his marriage to Catharine, daughter of Daniel and Maria (Petry) Kunkel, the latter couple long deceased. Mrs. Sechler was born June 18, 1847, lived fifty-seven years, seven months, and twenty-two days, and died Feb. 10, 1905, burial being at New Bethel cemetery. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Sechler are: Sarah m. Lewis M. Lutz; Samuel; Rosa became the wife of Jonas T. Altenderfer; Amanda m. Walter F. Lutz; William, referred to later; Jane m. Wm. Emore; John died in infancy; Katie, unmarried; Mahlon m. Phelephe Long; Edgar m. Nora Keller; Minnie lives at home.

William Sechler, fifth child of Levi, was born on the homestead in Albany township on the 6th day of September, 1874, and was reared to farm life, serving his parents until of age. In the spring of 1899 he closed his apprenticeship and began farming in connection with his father, on the home property. At the present time he is the possessor of four head of horses, and a herd of eleven cattle. The land is "potato land," and William uses an average of ten acres per year for that indispensable commodity. In 1893 he was married to Mary Bolich, daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Kunkel) Bolich, late of Albany. To them have come four bright children: Elmer; Lena; George Calvin, died in infancy; and an infant son.

Levi Sechler and his family are members of New Bethel Corner Church, Reformed congregation, of which Levi Sechler has been Deacon, Elder, and secretary for a number of years. Levi Sechler is a Democrat, and was auditor of the district for fifteen years when he declined re-nomination.

The property which Levi Sechler owns consists of 130 acres of good farm land and 100 acres of woodland. This farm is situated just across from the New Bethel Church. The large brick residence was constructed by Mr. Sechler in 1878. The barn is older than Mr. Sechler's ownership, having been built in 1838, when they built barns both for wear and capacity.

The Sechlers are fitting representatives of their Swiss ancestry, and are regarded as good and practical citizens, progressive and intelligent, and favoring everything which will be of marked benefit in promoting the best interests and upbuilding of the county.


SEIBERT, GEORGE M.

p. 1082

Surnames: SEIBERT, REIFSNYDER, WEIDEL, TILDEN, TOMNEY, MURRAY, MILLER

George M. Seibert was born in Womelsdorf, Pa., Oct. 4, 1855, and was one of the eight sons comprising the family of Henry and Maria (Reifsnyder) Seibert. His father, originally a carpenter by trade, later accepted a place with the Philadelphia & Reading R. R. Co. as foreman at the blast furnace in Reading, and the remainder of his life was occupied in that manner. He died in 1898, aged sixty-eight. One of the sons died in infancy but the others, by name John S., Jonathon, George M., Frank, Christian, David and Nathaniel, are living. Mrs. Seibert, now eighty-two years of age, still survives. The family all hold the faith of the Reformed Church, and father and sons alike have all supported the Democratic party on political issues.

George M. Seibert was a boy of nine years of age when his father moved to Reading, and his education was acquired in the public schools of that city. His first employment was in the Reading Cotton Mill, where he worked five years. Thereafter he was engaged in boating on the canal, for the Harbster Hardware Company in their printing and bronzing room, where he remained two years, in running a stationary engine, and as a finisher in a hat factory. In this last position he continued twelve years, leaving to accept a police appointment during the administration of Captain Weidel as mayor. At the end of that term Mr. Seibert worked for a time as an engineer for the Acme Bicycle Works, and then, April 1, 1899, embarked on the enterprise which has ever since largely absorbed his attention. Choosing a location at the corner of Sixth and Bingaman streets, he remodeled the place and opened "Seibert's Hotel" and while it was an untried field of effort for him, the venture has proved profitable and more than justified his expectations.

Since 1876, when he cast his first vote, for Samuel J. Tilden, Mr. Seibert has been actively interested in politics and a loyal worker for the Democratic party, becoming a leader in local and ward politics. In that same year, May 23d, began his connection with the Liberty Fire Beneficial Association, while he also belongs to the Liberty Fire Company. He is likewise a member of the P. O. S. of A.

Mr. Seibert has been twice married, but by neither union have there been any children. His first wife Annie Tomney, daughter of John Tomney, whom he married Nov. 13, 1879, died Oct. 2, 1883. On Dec. 31, 1886, he m. (second) Miss Emma Murray, daughter of Henry and Mary (Miller) Murray.


SEIBERT, ISAIAH B.

p. 1078

Surnames: SEIBERT, BENNETCH, KLOPP, STERNER, RENTZ, SNYDER,

Isaiah B. Seibert, who has been engaged for some time in the coal, grain and hay business at Third and Walnut streets, Reading, was born in Mill-creek township, near Sheridan, Lebanon county, son of John U. and Mary A. (Bennetch) Seibert.

John U. Seibert, who was first engaged in milling and farming in Lebanon county, came to Reading in 1884 and engaged in the coal, grain and flour business at Third and Cherry streets, being successor to Samuel Klopp. There he remained until his death in 1888, in his fifty-fourth year, the father of five children: George, deceased; John H., of Reading; Isaiah B.; Andrew M., and Lillian E., who married Edward F. Sterner, of Germantown, Pa. In religious belief Mr. Seibert was an Evangelical, and in politics a Democrat.

Isaiah B. Seibert received his education in the schools of Ashland, Pa., and the Eastman Business College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y. Returning to Ashland he entered the office of Frank Rentz as bookkeeper, remaining there two years, when he came to Reading and entered the employ of Seibert & Son, the firm consisting of his father and brother John H. In 1896 the business was removed to its present location, the firm name continuing the same until in 190--, when Isaiah B. Seibert purchased the interest of the estate. Mr. Seibert's yard and warehouse are situated at the southwest corner of Third and Walnut streets, and there may be found all sizes of coal, grain and hay at moderate prices. Mr. Seibert bears a good reputation for honest dealing, and as a consequence has a trade that demands the use of three delivery wagons and four employes.

In 1889 Mr. Seibert married Emma Snyder, daughter of Harry R. Snyder, and to them have been born three children: Harry F., attending Stoner's Business College, is acting as bookkeeper in his father's coal office; John U. attending school; and Leah E., deceased. The fraternal affiliation o Mr. Seibert is with the Masons, the Royal Arcanum and the Golden Eagles. He is a member of the United Evangelical Church, while Mrs. Seibert is connected with St. Paul's Reformed Church of Reading, being an active worker in the missionary society. In political matters Mr. Seibert is a Republican.


SEIBERT, RUSH G.

p 834

Surnames: SEIBERT, RUSH, WEIDMAN, PRINTZ

Rush G. Seibert, station agent of the Philadelphia & Reading railroad, at Sinking Spring station for forty years, was born at Lebanon, Pa., Nov. 1, 1835, son of Rev. Samuel and Elizabeth (Rush) Seibert, and was educated in the common schools. When fifteen years of age he became ambitious to teach school, and passing a successful examination was given a teacher's certificate. He began teaching in Bern township, Berks county, and taught there and in the schools of Lower Heidelberg and Spring townships for fifteen years. On Aug. 1, 1865, he secured the position of station agent at Sinking Spring, and this he filled with great fidelity until 1903, when he was granted a leave of absence on account of sickness. Upon recovering his health, he was appointed assistant agent and after serving until Nov. 1, 1903, he was retired with a pension, on account of age, evidencing in a high degree the satisfactory character of his services and the appreciation to its interests at this station.

While his parents resided near the Swamp, in Montgomery county, Mr. Seibert became a member of the Reformed Church at Limerick, near there, in 1850, when fifteen years old, and then it was that he began the active interest in Sunday-school work which he has shown wherever located, organising Sunday-schools and putting interested persons of the vicinity in the way of conducting them successfully. This was more particularly done in the country districts surrounding Sinking Spring for a distance of five miles, the work being continued with great devotion every Sunday without regard to the condition of the weather. While teaching public school at Lorah, Berks county, in 1852, he organized his first Sunday-school, of which he became connected with the Union Sunday-school, of which he became the superintendent, holding that office for thirty-five years, and continuing as a teacher in the Lutheran and Reformed schools till now, after declining a re-election. In 1901 he became a member of St. Andrew's Reformed Church at Reading, and since then he has taught a Bible class in the Sunday-school, notwithstanding his residence at Sinking Spring.

In 1866 Mr. Seibert married Susan B. Weidman, daughter of Solomon Weidman, of Spring township, and by her he had three children Rush, who died in 1885 at the age of eighteen years; Weidman R.; and Olivia, Mrs. Daniel Weidman.

Rev. Samuel Seibert, of Dauphin county, now Lebanon county, was a minister of the Reformed Church for Thirty-seven years. He married, in 1824, Elizabeth Rush, daughter of Stephen and Maria (Printz) Rush, of Reading, and by her had eleven children: S. Maria, Samuel R., Catharine, Elizabeth, William H., John, Rush G., George W., Francis, Mary and Emily. He died in 1862, at Greentown, Ohio, aged sixty-two years, and his wife died in 1872, at Sinking Spring, aged sixty-nine years.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:57:07 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.