Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

SCHROADER, ADAM H.

p. 1206 Surnames: SCHROADER, HILL, SCHMECK, BORTZ, BARD, FRAME, BENDER

Adam H. Schroader, whose place resides at No. 1028 Spruce street, Reading, is one of the coal merchants of the city. He was born in Rushcombmanor township, Berks Co., Pa., May 18, 1861, son of Benneville and Magdalina (Hill) Schroeder. Benneville Schroeder was a millwright by trade, and also owned a farm in Ruscombmanor township, where he died in 1903, aged eighty-six years. His wife died in the year previous, aged eighty-four years. They had six children, the survivors being: Adam H.; Louisa, wife of A. H. Schmeck; and Susan, widow of Wilson Bortz. They were members of the Reformed Church. In politics the father was a Democrat. He belonged to O. U. A. M.

Adam H. Schroeder was educated in the common schools of Berks county and also the Friedensburg Academy, where he was graduated and subsequently taught three terms of school. He then accepted a position with the Bard Hardware Company, where he remained for one year, and for nineteen years was then associated with A. L. Frame in the coal business. On Oct. 1, 1906, he purchased the old Frame coal yard, where he is prepared to fill all contracts, carrying a complete line of coal. As a business man he is well and favorably know all over this section, where he has been engaged in trade for the past twenty-five years.

In 1886 Mr. Schroeder married Catherine Bender, of Robesonia, Pa., and they have one son, Walter, a tailor by trade, who commands a good business at Reading, where he resides.

Mr. Schroeder is a member of Oley Lodge, No 218, I. 0. 0. F., and Fidelia Chamber, No. 5, Knights of Friendship, of which he is treasurer. He is also trustee of the Reading Consultory of the same order, and treasurer of the board of trustees, as well as treasurer of the Grand Consultory of Pennsylvania and New Jersey. For the past fifteen years he has been secretary of the Washington Fire Company. He owns a fine home at Wyomissing, where he is a school director, and was one of the organizers of that borough. In politics, he is a Democrat.


SCHROEDER, DANIEL E.

p. 662

Surnames: SCHROEDER, BOYER, KELLER, BRYSON, CLARK, SODER

The Schroeders have been established in Pennsylvania since 1720 or 1730, when three brothers, Anthony, Martin and Jacob, came from Germany and settled in Oley and Alsace townships.

The immediate foregathers of Daniel E. Schroeder were farmers, his grandfather, George, following that calling in Alsace township, and his father, John S., in Exeter township. John S. Schroeder was quite a prominent man in his region, his position as sheriff of Berks county, and office which he filled from 1848 to 1850, making him well known. He died in 1891. His wife, Susan E. Boyer, was a daughter of George Boyer, and came of Huguenot stock. She was born in Reading, and died many years before her husband, passing away in 1868. Of their ten children six are deceased, all but one of them having reached maturity: George; John, who was killed on a railroad; William, who enlisted in Company H., 2d Pennsylvania Cavalry, and was killed in battle during the Civil war; Charles; Francis and Louis, who died in childhood. Those who survive their parents are: Martha, m. to Daniel S. Keller of Bellefonte; Lucy, widow of W. G. Bryson, of Philipsburg, Centre county; Joseph, of Reading; and Daniel E.

Daniel E. Schroeder was born Jan. 20, 1842, in Reading and received his literary education in the public schools of that city. After finishing school he went into the office of Judge Hagenman, to read law, and in 1863 was admitted to the Bar. Later he was also admitted to practice before the Supreme court of the State and the United States District courts. He has been established continuously in practice in Reading, and has made an enviable reputation for himself.

Mr. Schroeder was married in January, 1870, to Clara L. Clark, of Reading, daughter of the late George B. Clark. Three children have been born to this union, namely: Harry F., in the lawn-mower business; George F., at the head of the shipping department of the Prospect Dye Works; and Estelle H., at home. The family attend the Lutheran Church. Mr. Schroeder is a good Democrat and active in politics. He was one of the originators of the Americus Club, and served as a school director from the Fourteenth ward. He is eligible to membership in the Sons of the Revolution, as his great-grandfather on the paternal side was Capt. John Soder, who participated in the Revolution. His maternal great-grandfather, George Boyer, was a veteran of the war of 1812, in which he served with the rank of lieutenant.


SCHUCKER, URIAS M.

p. 1647

Surnames: SCHUCKER, STOUDT, RESSLER, MERKEL, LUPPOLD, BARLET, WANNER, KEIM, REBER, BECKER

Urias M. Schucker, a well-known resident of Richmond township, resides in one of the handsome residences of the locality, which is beautifully situated in the midst of a well cultivated farm about four miles northwest of Kutztown, Pa. Mr. Schucker was born April 22, 1854, on the Schucker homestead not far from where he now resides.

John Schucker, the great-grandfather of Urias, owned a farm of 120 acres in Richmond township. He married Elizabeth Stoudt and they had children as follows: John, Samuel, Jacob, David, Rebecca and Catherine. Of this family Jacob, born in 1799, was a resident of Richmond township, and the owner of a small tract of land on the Eastern Road, two miles east of Kutztown, Pa. He married Polly Ressler, born in 1802, who died in 1876, his death having occurred in 1858, and they were the parents of nine children, namely: John, who died in early youth; Samuel; Reuben; Jacob; William; Adam; Mary, who died at the age of twenty-three years; Orlando, and Joel.

Samuel Schucker, father of U. M., who died in 1904, was a carpenter by trade. He married Susannah Merkel, daughter of Peter Merkel, and they became the parents of Urias; Cyrus; Alfred; Samuel; Louisa, who married Christian Luppold, a merchant of Reading, Pa.; Clara, who married John Barlet, of Blandon, Pa.; Peter, Maurice, and Sarah and Lucy who are single and live on the old homestead of 130 acres of fertile and productive land.

Urias M. Schucker was educated in the public schools of his native township, and since attaining his majority has been engaged in agricultural pursuits, his fine farm of forty-seven acres being one of the most fertile in the township. Furnished with modern, substantial buildings and the latest and most improved farming machinery, it is a model of neatness and order. Mr. Schucker has the esteem of the entire community. A Democrat in politics, he takes a good citizen's interest in elections, but has never desired office for himself, preferring to devote his time and attention to his farm. He and his wife are members of the Reformed Church, which she attends in Perry township (Zion's Church), and he at St. John's Church, Kutztown.

Mr. Schucker was married (first) Oct. 11, 1877 to Amanda Wanner, and she died the same year without issue. Mr.Schucker's second marriage was to Carolina Keim, widow of Abraham Reber, by whom she had one son ? John Reber, of Reading. Mrs. Schucker was born Jan. 11, 1854, daughter of John Keim, of Richmond township, and who was born in Perry township, Sept. 5, 1824. His education was somewhat limited, as the free schools were not then established as they are at present. When eighteen years of age he went to learn the trade of shoemaker, which he followed for thirteen years. On Sept. 9, 1845 he married Lovina Becker, daughter of John Becker, and to them were born: Jerry, Emma, Caroline, Isabella, John and Alfred.


SCHUEZ, CHARLES

p. 1531

Surnames: SCHUEZ, RETTISCH, AMM, EICHHORN

Charles Schuez, one of the representative farmers of Caernarvon township, Berks county, whose farm is located near Joanna, Pa., was born in 1861, in Wurtemberg, Germany, son of Paul Schuez who was born in 1828 and died in 1869. The mother of Mr. Schuez was born in 1830 and died in 1865. Both parents were buried in Germany. Mr. Schuez had one sister, born in 1858, who married Professor Augustus Rettisch, a teacher in the high school at Stuttgart, Wurtemberg, Germany.

Mr. Schuez spent his early life in his native country, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1885, he emigrated to America, landing in New York City, and after spending a year in Philadelphia, in March, 1886, he purchased his present farm, a fine tract of land near Joanna, Pa., and here he has continued successfully until the present time.

Mr. Schuez married Miss Rosa Amm, who was born in 1861 in Sachsen-Meiningen, Germany, daughter of Christian and Freitega (Eichhorn) Amm, natives of Germany. Christian Amm was born in 1833, and died in Philadelphia in June 1904, while his wife, whose birth occurred in 1836, survived until January, 1905. They came to this country in 1884, and both are buried in Mount Peace Cemetery, Philadelphia.

Mr. and Mrs. Schuez have had three children: Sophie, born March 18, 1887; Mary, Sept. 15, 1889; and Pauline, Jan. 28, 1895.


SCHULDT, EDWARD

p. 1188

Surnames: SCHULDT, CLEAVER, BARTH, FULMER, JACKSON, FLOTTO, FELIX, GRAEFF, SCHMECK, WITMAN, WOOMER

Edward Schuldt, only surviving son of Frederick Schuldt, was born in Reading March 18, 1860. After completing the course offered in the public schools of Reading he entered the Eastman Business College, at Poughkeepsie, N.Y., and was graduated there in 1883. Returning to Reading, he took charge for a time of his father's real estate interests, but in 1885 became interested in veterinary science and entered Dr. Cleaver's office for a year's preliminary reading on that subject. He then went to Toronto, Canada, and entering Smith's Veterinary College completed the course there, after which he took another course in Detroit, Mich., in veterinary dentistry. He then came back to Reading and practiced for a time with Dr. Cleaver, but later went to New York City for a few years. In 1885 he returned home to take charge of his father's affairs until the latter's death, and after the event gave up his profession, finding that his personal interests demanded his whole time and attention.

On April 22, 1885, Mr. Schuldt married Miss Christina Barth, of New York State, and four children were born to them, viz.: Frederick, who died at Poughkeepsie, N.Y.; Lula; Edna and Elizabeth. Mr. Schuldt belongs to the Lutheran Church.

Frederick Schuldt, his father, passed his earlier years in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, where he was born in 1816, and where he remained till he was thirty-two years of age. On arriving in America, in 1848, he located first in New York City, and took a position in a hotel, as clerk, being an expert in that line as well as in the detection of counterfeit coins. From New York he went to Philadelphia, where he was similarly engaged for several years in the employ of Mr. Fulmer. In 1858, the date of his coming to Reading, he took up an entirely new line, and began as a cooper, making barrels for the Reading distillery. He continued thus until a terrific flood swept away his entire plant, stock and tools. Mr. Schuldt was left with only five dollars as his worldly capital and even that he shared with his partner.

Thus forced to begin the world again, Mr. Schuldt entered upon the long and varied business career, which was eventually to make him so well known among Reading's substantial citizens. He first sought employment with the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company and helped to lay the rails for a branch road at Port Clinton, after which he was for a time one of a wrecking crew under Mr. Jackson. Returning to Reading he was employed in the manufacture of iron coal cars for a time, but before long secured a place as brew master at the Lauer brewery. Subsequently he was similarly engaged with Mr. Flotto and with Nicholas Felix. By 1865 he had accumulated sufficient capital to start a business for himself once more, and opened a cream beer brewery on Ninth street, below Franklin. From this period his interests multiplied and his financial progress became rapid. For three years he carried on a hotel at Ninth and Penn streets, then, in association with Moses K. Graeff and Mr. Schmeck, built the first malt house in Reading. His interest in this he sold out to Mr. Graeff, and going into the real estate business he built sixteen houses, all located in the Third ward. He was also interested in the Gas Company and later put up an independent malt house, which he operated from 1876 to 1883. Selling this in the latter year to Hagey & Pott, Mr. Schuldt closed out his active interests and retired, living quietly in Reading from that time till his death, in April, 1894, at the age of seventy-eight.

According to his means Mr. Schuldt was ever ready to support any really good cause, while private benefactions were unknown and unnumbered. He was naturalized as soon as possible after settling here, and was ever after a loyal supporter of the Democratic party, but was no office seeker. In religion he was a Lutheran. He married Louisa Witman, who died in 1893.

They were the parents of four children, namely: Frederick, deceased; Agnes, m. to Albert Woomer; Frederick, (2), deceased; and Edward.


SCHULER, GEORGE J.

p. 1448 Surnames: SHULER, CRESSMAN, FRENTZAL, TILGER

George J. Schuler, of Reading, who is proprietor of the meat market on the corner of Sixteenth street and Perkiomen Avenue, was born Oct. 22, 1862, in this city, son of John and Catherine (Tilger) Schuler.

The parents of George J. Schuler, who were natives of Wertemberg, Germany, came to America as young people and located in Reading, where Mr. Schuler engaged in butchering until his death in 1866, in his thirty-eighth year. he and his wife, who is still living, aged about seventy years, were the parents of four children, two of whom are now living: William A., and George J. In religious belief the family were Lutherans.

George J. Schuler received his education in the schools of Reading, and when a young man learned the butchering business, at which he was employed for others until 1882. In this year he established himself in business on Seventh street, below Bingaman, but in 1893 erected his present property and has been located at this place to the present time with much success. Mr. Schuler's trade, which is constantly increasing, is of the best in the city, his fair dealing and excellent goods winning the confidence and patronage of his customers, while personally he is genial and courteous. He manufactures all his own sausages, smoked meats, etc., and guarantees them to be of the finest quality.

Mr. Schuler was married to Emma Frentzal, daughter of Frederick Frentzal, and to this union there have been born two children: George H., who is in business with his father, married Mabel Cressman; and Gertrude, who died at the age of fourteen and one-half years. The family attend the Lutheran Church. In political matters Mr. Schuler is Democrat, although he takes no active part in public matters. he is considered on of the representative citizens of his community, in which he is very popular.


SCHULTZ, ANDREW

p. 422

Surnames: SCHULTZ, YEAKEL, YEAKLE, KRIEBEL, HIMMELWREIGHT, MOHR, MECHLING, ERMENTROUT

Andrew Schultz, in his lifetime one of the extensive landowners of Berks county, with a comfortable home near Barto, was born in Hereford township, Berks county, May 19, 1813, a descendant from an old family which came to America from the Kingdom of Saxony.

Melchior Schultz was born June 26, 1680, and he died Feb. 15, 1734, in the fifty-fourth year of his age, at Berthelsdorf, Saxony. His death took place just about two months before the time set for his emigration to America.

His children were: George, Melchior and Christopher, the latter of whom became a noted minister.

George Schultz, son of Melchior and brother to Rev. Christopher, married, Jan. 31, 1744, Maria, daughter of Abraham Yeakel, and they made their home in Upper Hanover township, Montgomery Co., Pa. Their children were: Abraham, born March 23, 1747; and Melchior, born March 25, 1756. George Schultz died Oct. 30, 1776, aged sixty-five years, and his wife Maria passed away Dec. 13, 1797, at the age of seventy-nine years.

Abraham Schultz, son of George and Maria, was born in Upper Hanover township, Montgomery county, March 23, 1747. He was a great lover of books and, having a retentive memory and comprehensive mind; he became one of the best-educated men of the time. He was a member of the Schwenkfelder religious society, and he served it in the capacity of trustee, school inspector, teacher and catechist. The community frequently called his services into requisition as scrivener and counselor. In 1796 he was elected a member of the General Assembly from Montgomery county. He died on Dec. 25, 1822. In 1771 he married Regina Yeakle, daughter of Christopher Yeakle, and their children were: Benjamin, born July 20, 1772, died March 20, 1802, Adam, born Sept. 20, 1775; Isaac, born March 4, 1778; Abraham, born Feb. 18, 1781, died March 23, 1802; Frederick, born Aug. 10, 1784, died Dec. 17, 1794; Joseph, born Jan. 22, 1787; and Melchior, born June 23, 1789.

Adam Schultz, son of Abraham, was born Sept. 20, 1775, in Upper Hanover township, and died Aug. 30, 1831. He lived at Treichlersville, in Hereford township, where he was engaged in farming, owning a fine farm of 140 acres there and one of 214 acres in Washington township. He was very successful in his undertakings, and became very well-to-do. On May 21, 1801, he married Regina Kreibel, who was born June 25, 1780, and who died May 3, 1858. Their children were: Abraham, born April 12, 1803, died Dec. 5, 1814; Israel, born June 4, 1805; Jesse, born April 8, 1808, died Nov. 7, 1831; Adam, born Sept. 21, 1810, died Nov. 12, 1831; Andrew, born May 19, 1813; Enoch, born March 31, 1816; Sarah, born Sept. 1, 1818, died May 11, 1820; Regina, born Oct. 9, 1821; Solomon, born Nov. 19, 1824, died June 4, 1854.

Andrew Schultz, the subject proper of this sketch, was in his early life a farmer at Treichlersville. He was a man of much enterprise and became quite wealthy. He was a man of much enterprise and became quite wealthy. He owned three farms lying adjacent to each other, three-quarters of a mile Southeast of Barto. The tract originally contained 214 acres, but this he divided into three parts, erecting three sets of buildings. He also owned a farm of seventy-seven acres in Washington township. He built a gristmill in Montgomery county, which is now owned by William Himmelwreight. He built himself a large three-story brick residence near Barto, and there he died Nov. 27, 1885. He is buried at the Schwenkfelders church near Clayton. He married Sarah Mohr, who was born Sept. 1, 1818, daughter of Andrew and Catherine Ann (Mechling), Mohr, of Centreville, Lehigh Co., Pa., and she died May 1, 1883. Their children were: Annie, who died young; Emma, who died aged thirty-two years; Mary A. M.; and Harrison, who died aged twenty-three years.

Miss Mary A. M. Schultz, daughter of Andrew is now residing at the old home near Barto. She was educated in the public schools and at the Pottstown Seminary for Ladies, and was licensed to teach by the late James N. Ermentrout, teaching one term at Barto in a schoolhouse long since town down. She is a member of the Schwenkfelders Church near Clayton, in Hereford township. Miss Schultz is a charming woman and is very artistic. She has a valuable collection of rare china and books.


SCHULTZ, DANIEL N.

p. 908

Surnames: SCHULTZ, KRAUSS, GERHARD

Daniel N. Schultz, a leading citizen of Hereford township, Berks county, living near the Lehigh county line, was born Nov. 9, 1855, on one of the old Schultz homesteads, and is a son of Enoch K. Schultz.

Mr. Schultz received his education in the public schools of his home township (Hereford) and was reared on his father's farm, acquiring at an early age, in addition to the general knowledge of farming gained by a youth under such circumstances, some familiarity with the blacksmith's trade and later with the carpenter's trade. That he was a natural mechanic is shown by the fact that he picked up his knowledge of these trades by himself. He was trained to sawmill work, assisting his father to saw large quantities of lumber. In 1883 he started on his own account, for two years living as a tenant at the homestead, which came into his possession in 1885. There he has since lived and conducted the farm and mills, having both a sawmill and gristmill, which latter he established in 1888, putting up a separate building. He also has a cider press, run by waterpower attached to the gristmill. His farm consists of 160 acres, six perches, and is a valuable piece of land, which has steadily increased in value under his intelligent management. Mr. Schultz is a man of influence in his district, commanding the respect and confidence of all who have dealings with him. He is a thorough business man, and has taken an interest in other enterprises besides his immediate undertakings, having been a director of East Greenville National Bank from 1892 to 1897, and he has been a director of the Farmer's National Bank at Pennsburg, Montgomery county, for many years.

Mr. Schultz's thrift and tastes are evidence in the neat appearance of his home, which shows excellent care in every detail. The buildings on his farm are large and in good repair, the yard is laid with cement walks made by Mr. Schultz himself, and all the surroundings show thought and constant oversight. Part of his farm lies in Lehigh county, and his residence, as previously stated, is near to the county line. It is a large house, and contains many relics and other articles of interest, including an old Andrew Krauss pipe organ. Krauss, who was one of the first organ manufacturers in America, lived in Upper Hanover township, Montgomery Co., Pa. The instrument is seven feet, three inches high, two feet deep and three and one-half feet wide. The keys are covered with bone. The organ has a full, round, soft tone, and is much admired by musicians. Another of Mr. Schultz' s cherished possessions is a bread closet made by a pioneer Schultz in 1750, and is still in good condition. There is also a black walnut writing desk, fully as old. Mr. Schultz has made considerable furniture in his day, and he has made a number of the bedsteads and other pieces of furniture, including picture frames, etc., now in use at his home. He also made his first carriage.

On Jan. 20, 1883, Mr. Schultz married Susan G. Schultz, daughter of Abraham and Rebecca (Gerhard) Schultz, and four children were born to them, namely: Clara, Elwood (who died in infancy), Rosa and Adam. Clara and Rosa are graduates of Perkiomen Seminary, and the son is a student there now.

Mr. Schultz and his family are true to the principles of their forefathers, belonging to the Schwenkfelder Church, of which he has been a deacon. He is independent in politics, considering principle before party.


SCHULTZ FAMILY

p. 411

Surnames: SCHULTZ, SCHOLTZE, SCHWENKFELD, YEAKEL, MESCHTER, HARTRANFT, WEISS, NEWMAN, KRIEBEL, HOFFMAN, WAGNER, ECK, MABERRY, NEUMAN, KRAUSS, REIFF, SEIBERT

Schultz. (Line of Melchior, 1680-1734) Hereford township, in the extreme eastern end of Berks county, and bounded on the east by Lehigh county and on the southeast by Montgomery county, is the home of a number of families belonging to the religious sect known as Schwenkfelders, founded by Kaspar Schwenkfeld (1490-1561), a Silesian nobleman and mighty factor in the Reformation. Many of the Schultz, Kriebel, Yeakel and a few other Schwenkfelder families have their homes in this district of Berks county, while about thirty Schwenkfelder families live in the adjoining region of upper Montgomery and western Lehigh counties.

The Schultz or Scholtze family is traced to one Mathias Schultz, who was born A. D. 1612, on a Sunday (Invocavit), lived through the Thirty Years' war, and died A. D. 1682, in the seventieth year of his age, at Lower Harpersdorf, in what was then the principality (now a government district) of Liegnitz, Silesia. His son, Melchior Schultz, is said to have been born A. D. 1647, and died on a Sunday (Invocavit), A. D. 1708, in the sixty-first year of his age. And his son, also called Melchior Schultz, was born June 26, 1680, and died Feb. 15, 1734, in the fifty-fourth year of his age, age Berthelsdorf, Saxony, about two months before the emigration to this country, then being contemplated. The last-named Melchior Schultz was the father of George, Melchior and Christopher, all of whom married, and descendants of George and Christopher still flourish in Berks county.

George Schultz, son of Melchior, died Oct. 30, 1776, aged sixty-five years. On Jan. 31, 1744, he married Maria, daughter of Abraham Yeakel, and their children were Abraham and Melchior. The mother died Dec. 13, 1797, aged seventy-nine years.

Melchior Schultz, son of Melchior, died Sept. 1, 1787. He was twice married, first to Anna Maria Meschter and second to Maria Hartranft, but had no issue by either wife.

Rev. Christopher Schultz, Sr., the youngest son of Melchior, was born at Lower Harpersdorf, Liegnitz, Silesia, March, 26, 1718. In the spring of 1726, owing to religious persecution, this family with others left home and possessions and fled by night, arriving at Berthelsdorf, in Saxony, May 1st. Here Christopher became a shepherd boy, but his humble circumstances did not quench his spirit or ambition. In his youth he evinced a burning desire for books. His kind friend, Rev. George Weiss, assisted him in his study of the Latin, Greek and Hebrew languages. He also had the kindly assistance of Count Zinzendorf. The three orphan boys, George, Melchior and Christopher Schultz, joining some forty Schwenkfelder families, forever turned their backs upon their native land, embarking for Philadelphia, where they arrived after a tedious voyage of about five months, Sept. 22, 1734. Young Christopher kept a diary ("Reise Beschreibung"), which is found in print in the "Erlauterung." At a comparatively early period he was looked upon as a leading spirit among the Schwenkfelders, and was chosen their minister, serving as such efficiently and faithfully until the end of his days. He was the chief organizer of the Schwenkfelders into a religious body or congregation, composed the catechism still in use, compiled their hymnbooks and wrote their constitution, as well as a "Compendium" of religious doctrines of faith of 600 octavo pages.

For many years, up to the end of the American Revolution, "Father" Schultz, as he was called, kept up correspondence with friends left in Germany. He lived in stirring times and had varied experiences. At the age of eighteen years we find him, with his two brothers, selecting site for their future home in a dense wood forty-two miles north of Philadelphia, two miles west of what is now the borough of East Greenville, where they had found an excellent spring of water. Here, in 1736, assisted by Melchior Newman, carpenter, they commenced felling the tall oaks, rolling them on a scaffold over a trench, sawed them by hand into three-inch planks, whereof the outside walls of their capacious two-story house were constructed. Wagon wheels were made of the same article, horse collars were skillfully plaited of straw, traces were made of hemp, the grubbing hoe preceded the plow with wooden moldboard. There was no sawmill or gristmill within fifteen miles, and every resource of the pioneer was taxed to the utmost to supply the many lacks experienced in a new country. For clothing the Schultzes raised their own flax and wool, spun it with the aid of a single spindle, erected a weaver's loom, and wove the yarn into cloth.

The three brothers lived in peace and harmony, and at the end of about ten years, under the blessing of Providence, they had considerably extended their landed domains, increased their flocks and filled their coffers, so that the question which once engaged the attention of Abraham and Lot, at their parting, now confronted them. The result was that Melchior and Christopher sold out to their elder brother, George, the former going about three miles north, where he bought a farm; Christopher, having married in 1744, now bought and settled at Clayton, Berks county. Here he lived to the end of his life. Among the early records of Berks county we find the last will and testament of Christopher Schultz, a model of its kind. It is dated the 24th day of October, A. D. 1788, and is witnessed by his friends, Abraham Schultz, Gregory Schultz and George Kriebel; in it the testator, among other things, disposes of about 800 acres of land located in Berks, Montgomery and Northumberland counties, Pa., including two of the finest farms in eastern Berks: one of them, late that of his brother Melchior, had been bought by the testator for and in the name of his son Andrew. His family, all of whom survived him, consisted of his wife Rosina, a daughter of Baltzer Yeakel, and four children, Regina, Andrew, David and Susanna.

It might well be asked how the one-time shepherd and weaver boy of Berthelsdorf came to have so much property at his disposal. Matt. 19:29. He could work on the farm, or at the loom, perform deeds of kindness, courtesy and condescension, without compromising his dignity, which was unfailing. His life motto was "Soli Deo Gloria" ("To God alone the honor"). Father Schultz died on the 9th of May, 1789, aged seventy-one years, one month, thirteen days. The immediate cause of his death was apoplexy. His end was one of serene contentment and blessedness. He died as he had lived. His last words, barely audible to the family, were : "A little while and ye shall not see me, and again a little while and ye shall see me, because I go to the Father." The Rev. Christopher Hoffman, of Skippack, preached the funeral sermon, taking for his text the words of Paul, II Timothy 4:7-8, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith," etc.

Andrew Schultz, son of Rev. Christopher, born Jan. 20, 1753, died Feb. 5, 1802, aged forty-nine years, six days. In 1776 he married Charlotte Yeakel, who died Feb. 11, 1825, and they had issue: Christopher, Susanna, Regina, Esther, Maria, Christina and Henry.

David Schultz, son of Rev. Christopher, born April 10, 1757, died Aug. 4, 1833, aged seventy-six years. He resided in Hereford township, Berks county, immediately adjoining the Schwenkfelder meeting-house. In 1781 he married Anna Kriebel, and the following are the names and years of birth of their children: Susanna, 1782; Andrew, 1784; William, 1786; Rosina, 1788; Christopher K., 1790; Philip, 1793 (died 1817); Maria, 1795; Jeremiah, 1797; Christina, 1799; Regina, 1801.

Abraham Schultz, son of George Schultz, the elder brother of Rev. Christopher Schultz, was born March 23, 1747, in Upper Hanover, Montgomery Co., Pa. He was a great lover of books, and, having a retentive memory and comprehensive mind, he became one of the best educated men of his time. He was a member of the Schwenkfelder religious society, and served it in the capacity of trustee, school inspector, teacher and catechist. The community frequently called his services into requisition as scrivener and counselor. In 1796 he was elected a member of the General Assembly from Montgomery county. He died on Dec. 25, 1822. In 1771 he married Regina Yeakel, daughter of Christopher Yeakel, and their children were: Benjamin, born July 20, 1772 (died March 20, 1802); Adam, Sept. 20, 1775; Isaac, March 4, 1778; Abraham, Feb. 18, 1781 (died March 23, 1802); Frederick, Aug. 10, 1784 (died Dec. 17, 1794); Joseph, Jan. 22, 1787; and Melchior, June 23, 1789.

Rev. Melchior Schultz, the other son of George Schultz, born March 25, 1756, died June 11, 1826, aged seventy years, two months, sixteen days. In 1781 he married Salome Wagner, and they had children: Christina, Regina, Maria, Henry W., Sarah, Frederick and Susanna (twins) and Rosina. Rev. Melchior Schultz was a minister of the society of Schwenkfelders for a long time, and he was likewise a farmer, living in Worcester township, Montgomery county.

Adam Schultz, son of Abraham, was born Sept. 20, 1775, in Upper Hanover township, Montgomery Co., Pa., and died Aug. 30, 1831, of typhoid fever, on his farm near Treichlersville, in Hereford township. His two sons died but a short time afterward, of the same disease. He owned 160 acres there, where the sawmill is located, and engaged in both farming and sawmilling, likewise operating a distillery, making apple-jack and rye whiskey. He also owned 214 acres in Washington township, now owned by Mary Ann Schultz. Like all his family, he was a Schwenkfelder in religious faith. On May 21, 1801, Mr. Schultz married Regina Kriebel, born June 25, 1780, daughter of Andrew Kreibel, died May 3, 1858. They had children as follows: Abraham, born April 12, 1803 (died Dec. 5, 1814); Israel, June 4, 1805; Jesse, April 8, 1808 (died Nov. 7, 1831); Adam, Sept. 21, 1810 (died Nov. 12, 1831); Andrew, May 19, 1813; Enoch K., March 31, 1816; Sarah, Sept. 1, 1818 (was drowned May 11, 1820); Regina, Oct. 9, 1821; and Solomon, Nov. 9, 1824 (died June 4, 1854, at St. Paul, Minn., and his remains were sent to Clayton, Pa., and interred at the Washington Meeting-house).

Enoch K. Schultz, son of Adam, was born March 31, 1816, on one of his father's farms in Hereford township, and died on the farm where he was born Aug. 31, 1885, aged sixty-nine years, five months. He was a farmer and also carried on sawmilling from his youth until his death, a period of over fifty years. His sawmill, now operated by his son, Daniel N. Schultz, was conducted before 1800 by one Doris Eck, whose child was drowned in the mill penstock. Adam Schultz purchased this property in 1801 or 1802, and a sawmill had been established there long before. The present mill is the third on the site, and was erected by Enoch Schultz in 1874. He also put up the present large brick dwelling, in 1877, and had previously built the barn, in 1854. This property was in the Schultz name from 1785, and was purchased by Abraham Schultz and Casper Yeakel from Charles Maberry in 1785. In 1800 Abraham Schultz bought Casper Yeakel's share of the farm. Enoch K. Schultz was a Republican in politics, and in religion a member of the Schwenkfelder Church, in which he held the office of deacon.

On Nov. 13, 1841, Mr. Schultz married Leah K. Neuman, daughter of Samuel and Regina (Krauss) Neuman, of Upper Hanover township, Montgomery county, the former of whom was a chairmaker by trade, and also made pipe organs. Mr. Neuman made an organ for each of his three daughters. Mrs. Neuman lived to be nearly one hundred years old. Mr. and Mrs. Enoch K. Schultz became the parents of ten children, namely: Sarah m. Abraham S. Krauss; Lydia m. Enos S. Schultz; Levi m. Sallie Reiff; Erwin N. is mentioned below; Regina m. Nathan M. Schultz; Susanna m. William S. Schultz; Daniel m. Susan G. Schultz; Esther died unmarried, of typhoid fever, aged twenty-one years, twenty-one days; Mary m. Samuel R. Seibert, and died Sept. 6, 1902; Emma died unmarried of scarlet fever. Enoch K. Schultz died Aug. 31, 1885, and his wife passed away March 31, 1907, aged eighty-five years, six months, three days.

Erwin N. Schultz, of Chapel, Hereford township, Berks county, proprietor of the Chapel Planing Mill, was born July 26, 1847, on the Enoch H. Schultz homestead in Hereford township, and there attended the public schools. His boyhood days were spent in work upon the farm, and he continued to work for his parents until he was thirty years old, learning the carpenter's trade at home, and also gaining considerable experience in the sawmill business, in which his father was engaged. After leaving home he took up the carpenter's trade, which he followed over a district covered by a radius of eight miles, working as boss carpenter and employing as many as nine men. He was principally engaged in building houses and barns, his principal contract being for the Perkiomen Seminary, at Pennsburg, Montgomery county, a large institution which he put up in 1892, and on which a force of twelve men was employed from August until April. In 1882 he built an addition to the Palm rollermill.

In the spring of 1878 Mr. Schultz came to his present home in Hereford township, which he bought from his father-in-law, Joshua Schultz, the following year. Here he has his home and business, having remodeled the house and barn, built several additions to the buildings and put up the present planing-mill, where he keeps three men constantly employed. He makes doors, sashes, window-frames, blinds, shutters, and other planing-mill products, which he sells in the surrounding towns and district, and he is a man whose personal integrity and high standards command the respect and good-will of all who know him. He is tall and well built, robust in constitution and commanding in presence, and is well known throughout the region.

On Nov. 10, 1877, Mr. Schultz married Susanna S. Schultz, born March 10, 1842, daughter of Rev. Joshua Schultz, died Oct. 17, 1905, aged sixty-three years, seven months, seven days. Two children were born to this union, Cora S. and Oscar S. Mr. Schultz's second marriage was to Mrs. Emma S. (Schultz) Yeakel, widow of William K. Yeakel, whom he wedded May 4, 1907. The family home is a comfortable residence on the Green Lane & Goshenhoppen turnpike. Mr. Schultz and his family are members of the Schwenkfelder Church, in which he is now serving his second term as deacon. He is a Republican in political opinion.


SCHULTZ FAMILY

p. 573

Surnames: SCHULTZ, YEAKEL, KRIEBEL, JOHNSON, GERHARD, KRAUSS, HIRNER, BECHTEL, SEIPT, DEIHL

Among the prominent representatives of the Schultz family in Washington township are the brothers, Owen K. Schultz, farmer, dairyman and stockman, now living retired, and Joseph K. Schultz, who in the spring of 1899 retired from the milling business.

The Schultz family came to America from Saxony. Melchior Schultz was born June 26, 1680, and died Feb. 15, 1734, in the fifty-fourth year of his age, at Berthelsdorf, Saxony. His death took place just about two months before the time set for his emigration to America. His children were: George, Melchior and Christopher, the latter of whom became a noted minister.

George Schultz, son of Melchior and brother to Rev. Christopher, married, Jan. 31, 1744, Maria, daughter of Abraham Yeakel, and they made their home in Upper Hanover township, Montgomery Co., Pa. Their children were: Abraham, born March 23, 1747; and Melchior, born March 25, 1756. George Schultz died Oct. 30, 1776, aged sixty-five years, and his wife Maria passed away Dec. 13, 1797, at the age of seventy-nine years.

Abraham Schultz, son of George and Maria, was born in Upper Hanover township, Montgomery county, March 23, 1747. He was a great lover of books and having a retentive memory and comprehensive mind, he became one of the best educated men of the time. He was a member of the Schwenkfelder religious society, and he served it in the capacity of trustee, school inspector, teacher and catechist. The community frequently called his services into requisition as scrivener and counsellor. In 1796 he was elected a member of the General Assembly from Montgomery county. He died Dec. 25, 1822. In 1771 he married Regina Yeakel, daughter of Christopher Yeakel, and their children were: Benjamin, born July 20, 1772 (died March 20, 1802); Adam, Sept. 20, 1775; Isaac, March 4, 1778; Abraham, Feb. 18, 1781 (died March 23, 1802); Frederick, Aug. 10, 1784 (died Dec. 17, 1794); Joseph, Jan. 22, 1787; and Melchior, June 23, 1789.

Isaac Schultz, son of Abraham and Regina, was born March 4, 1778, and died Oct. 15, 1867. He had a good farm of 100 acres, besides woodland, in Upper Hanover township, and for a time taught school. He had eight children: Amos; Isaac; Abraham; Daniel S.; Christina; Joel; Philip and Joseph.

Amos Schultz, son of Isaac, born May 11, 1809, died at the home of his son, Owen K., May 10, 1895, and is buried at the Schwenkfelder Church, Washington township. In 1861 he built the mill now owned by Joseph K. Schultz, and operated by the latter's son. Amos K. Amos Schultz married Elizabeth Kriebel, daughter of Samuel Kriebel, of Worcester township, Montgomery county. They had eight children: Sarah, wife of Joel Schultz, of Upper Hanover township; Susan, deceased wife of A. T. D. Johnson, of New Berlinville; Joseph K.; Anna, deceased; Edwin, president of the First National Bank of Boyertown; Owen K.; Lucina, who lives with her brother Owen K.; and Elizabeth, wife of Josephus Gerhard, of Hereford township. Mrs. Elizabeth (Kriebel) Schultz was born Dec. 23, 1812, and she died March 29, 1891. Mr. Schultz was active in local politics, and for ten years was justice of the peace in Douglass township, Montgomery county, and was director of Schultzville Independent School District, and in many other ways served his community.

Owen K. Schultz, son of Amos, was born in Douglass township, Montgomery county, just across the Berks county line, March 23, 1851. He attended the Schultzville Independent School in Washington township, whither the Amos Schultz family moved in the spring of 1857. His early years were passed on the home farm, and after he was twenty-one years of age he continued working for his parents for seven years. In 1880 he took possession of the farm on his own account. This consists of ninety-three acres of excellent land, and he was very successful in its management. He paid special attention to dairying, and had some fine stock, as well as a complete line of modern farm machinery. He continued to farm until 1902, when he retired. He has the agency for the Page Woven Wire Fence Company, of Adrian, Mich., and in this work he has met with success. His farm is one of the most attractive on the west branch of the Perkiomen. A mill dam covers a few of his acres with water, and the mill is located but 120 feet from the residence, and is familiarly known as the "County Line Mill." The house was built in 1856 by his father. Amos, and is a substantial brick structure of large dimensions. It is surrounded by a carefully kept lawn, studded with Norway and silver maple trees, and enclosed by an iron fence. The Swiss barn was built by Amos Schultz in 1855, and was the first barn in the district to have running water in the stalls.

Mr. Schultz is one of the active business men of his district. He was one of the organizers of the Niantic Dairymen's Association, which conducts a creamery at Niantic, and of this he has been treasurer since its organization April 1, 1889. They make a high grade of butter, and also have a large cheese trade, their product being sold in the community and in Philadelphia. He was instrumental in having the State Road built through his district. He has been a director of the Reading Bone Fertilizer Company since its organization March 8, 1905; a director of the Mountain Telephone Company, Inc., which has thirty miles of wire in the eastern township of Berks county; and is treasurer of the Douglass Telephone Company, operating ten miles of wire, and of which company there were sixteen original shareholders. Mr. Schultz is a stockholder of the First National Bank of Boyertown, and acts as its agent, weekly making deposits for the people of his district.

Mr. Schultz has been twice married. On Feb. 7, 1880, he married Leanna Kriebel, of Worcester township, who was born June 8, 1852, and who died April 5, 1887, the mother of two children, Chester and Mabel, both graduates of Perkiomen Seminary, since which time Chester has also graduated from Princeton University, Princeton, N. J., class of 1908, and Pierce's Business College, Philadelphia, fall of 1908. Mr. Schultz married (second) Sept. 21, 1889, Mary Schultz, daughter of Adonia Schultz, of Worcester township, Montgomery county. The family attend the Schwenkfelder church.

Joseph K. Schultz, son of Amos, was born in Douglass township, Montgomery county, Nov. 20, 1840. The district school afforded him his educational advantages, and at home he was trained along agricultural lines. He was twenty-two when he began work in his father's mill, and in 1882 he succeeded to the ownership. This mill was first a grist and flour mill, and in 1895 a roller process was added. The present name of the mill is the Wave Roller Mill, but early in its history it was called the County Line Mill. It is a four-story building, 40x45 feet, with an addition 28 feet square, and it is run by water from the west branch of the Perkiomen creek. Seventeen acres of land are included in the mill property. At the present time Mr. Schultz's son, Amos K., is operating the mill and he turns out three brands of flour that are very popular---"Wave," "Union" and "Schultz's Best." Mr. Joseph K. Schultz retired from the management of the mill in 1899. With his son Elmer he organized the Champion Manufacturing Company, Inc., of Philadelphia, manufacturing horse and cattle powders, and poultry feed powders at Barto, but the main office is at No. 427 Walnut street, Philadelphia. Mr. Schultz has been quite an apiarian, and at one time had as many as forty hives, producing about 500 pounds of honey annually. He resides in a comfortable brick house built by his father in 1867.

In 1865 Mr. Schultz married Susan Bechtel Krauss, daughter of George Krauss, and organ builder of Upper Hanover township. They have had four children: Elmer, an insurance agent and real estate dealer in Philadelphia, m. Marie Hirner, daughter of Dr. C. G. Hirner, of Allentown, and has two children, Francis Clarke and Dwight Earle; Amos m. Irene Seipt, daughter of William Seipt, of Worcester township, Montgomery county, and has two children, Florence and Harold; Olivia m. John G. Deihl, Wharf Master at Port Richmond, Philadelphia, Pa., and they have one daughter, Frances. Mr. Joseph K. Schultz and his sons and sons-in-law are Republican in political principle and in religious faith he and his family are Schwenkfelders.


SCHULTZ, HORATIO K.

p. 1370

Surnames: SCHULTZ, WISTAR, PENN, STAUFFER, KRIEBEL, SCHOLTZ, YEAKEL, HIGH, BIELER, FRY, FETTERMAN, MILLER

Horatio K. Schultz, the present owner of the old homestead in Hereford township, near Hereford, owns land which has been in the family name since 1746, on Oct. 4th of which year his collateral ancestor, Melchior Schultz, purchased it. Record of this transfer is found in Patent Book A, Vol. 13, page 124. In 1729 Casper Wistar, a noted land agent in his day, purchased from John, Thomas and Richard Penn a tract of 200 acres, which he sold to Henry Stauffer, who in turn sold it to Melchior Schultz. The land was a perfect rectangle, level and productive, and included the present Horatio K. Schultz farm, which has been in the family name since 1746; the farm of Jonas S. Kriebel, and the tract of Erwin N. Schultz. In 1749, Melchior Schultz (or Scholtz) bought a tract containing 120 1/2 acres in the Manor of Ruscombe (Ruscombmanor township), in Berks county, Pa.; this was woodland. In 1783 Melchior and Maria Schultz sold three separate tracts to his nephew, Andrew Schultz, all located in Hereford township, and containing, respectively, 190, fifty-three and fourteen acres.

Andrew Schultz, the great-grandfather of Horatio K. Schultz, was born Jan. 29, 1753, son of Rev. Christopher Schultz, the great leader of the Schwenkfelders in this part of the country, who was a brother of the Melchior Schultz mentioned in the preceding paragraph. Andrew Schultz died Feb. 5, 1802, aged forty-nine years, six days. On Nov. 24, 1776, he married Charlotte Yeakel, daughter of Jeremiah Yeakel. She survived him many years, dying Feb. 11, 1825. Their children were Christopher (Rev.), Susanna, Regina, Esther, Maria, Christina and Henry.

Rev. Christopher Schultz, son of Andrew, born Oct. 12, 1777, died on his farm March 22, 1843, aged sixty-five years, five months, ten days. He is buried at Washington meeting-house. On May 29, 1804, he married Susanna Yeakel, daughter of Abraham Yeakel, and she died April 3, 1861, at the age of seventy-eight years. They had children: a son who died in infancy, Joseph, David, Sarah, Regina, Thomas, Lydia, Hannah, Leah and Rebecca. A grandson of the first Rev. Christopher Schultz, he lived on the fine farm in Hereford township now owned by his grandson, Horatio K. Schultz. He, too, like his famous namesake, was a minister of the Schwenkfelder Church, and continued in the active ministry until his death. He always drew large audiences, wherever he preached, whether in his own church or a neighboring pulpit, as he was frequently called upon to officiate elsewhere. His fine personal appearance, fluent speech, fervent and impressive piety, well-stored mind and high social qualities, tempered by a true Christian spirit and kindly nature, commanded the respect of all with whom he came into contact, and he was popular as well as esteemed.

Thomas Y. Schultz, son of Rev. Christopher, born Dec. 25, 1813, died April 13, 1873, aged fifty-nine years, three months, eighteen days, and is buried at the Schwenkfelder Church in Washington township. He was a farmer, owning the place which now belongs to his son Horatio in Hereford township, and followed agricultural pursuits all his life, prospering in his work. He built the large barn, which now stands on the home place. He was married Nov. 21, 1850, to Hannah Kriebel, daughter of Jacob Kriebel, born April 6, 1823 and two children were born to them. Horatio K. and Thamar K. Mrs. Schultz now makes her home with her son, Horatio K., on the homestead. She is well preserved and in possession of all her faculties. Mr. Schultz was a Schwenkfelder in religious faith.

Thamar K. Schultz, daughter of Thomas Y. Schultz, born Feb. 17, 1858, is the wife of Howard W. Kriebel, of East Greenville, editor and proprietor of the Pennsylvania German, a valuable magazine, which champions the interests of the German settlers and their descendants.

Horatio K. Schultz was born Sept. 22, 1851, on the farm in Hereford township where he now resides. He received his education in the public schools of his district, was reared upon the farm, and worked for his parents until he reached his majority. In 1877 he began farming on the homestead on his own account, and there he has since remained, engaged in agricultural pursuits, in which he has met with success. His farm comprises of 123 acres, located three-quarters of a mile west of Hereford post-office, and on this property stands, besides the large barn previously mentioned as having been built by his father in 1854, a stone dwelling which was erected before the Revolutionary war, and rebuilt in 1822 by Christopher Schultz, who added a second story to the original structure, besides making an addition to the northern side. An interesting relic in Mr. Schultz's possession is a "grandfather" clock with Andrew Schultz's wife bequeathed in her will to her son, Rev. Christopher Schultz, from whom in turn it has descended through with the old property. Mr. Schultz's farm is finely stocked and well taken care of in every respect. He is a man esteemed for his worthy life and honorable character, highly regarded wherever he is known.

On Jan. 20, 1877, Mr. Schultz married Magdalena Schultz, daughter of Andrew and Magdalena (High) Schultz, and to this union were born five children: Ellenora, who is unmarried; Flora; Webster, of Mauch Chunk, Pa.; Homer; and Sadie, who married Milton Bieler, a farmer of Upper Hanover township, Montgomery Co., Pa. The mother of this family died April 6, 1889. On Sept. 3, 1898, Mr. Schultz married for his second wife Mrs. Ida (Fry) Fetterman, widow of Oscar K. Fetterman, of Upper Milford township, Lehigh county, and daughter of Readen and Mary (Miller) Fry, of that township. Two children have been born to this marriage, Ada and Catharine.

Mr. Schultz and his family cling to the faith of his forefathers, belonging him to the Schwenkfelder Church, of which he has been deacon. He is a Republican in politics.


SCHULTZ, SAMUEL S.

p. 828

Surnames: SCHULTZ, DIETERICH, SCHWENKFELDER, HOFFMAN, YEAKEL, URFFER, BRUNNER, SALLADE, ROBERTS, HEISTAND, GRABER, BLAND.

Samuel S. Schultz, Justice of the peace of Hereford township, Berks county, is a member of the Schultz family where early home was in Berthelsdorf, Saxony, Germany. There lived the earliest know ancestor of the family. Mathias Schultz, born 1612, died 1682. He had a son, Melchior, born 1647, who died 1708, leaving among other children, two sons, Melchior (1680-1734) and Balthaser.

Balthaser Schultz, son of Melchior, was born in 1682, and he died in Saxony, Germany in 1727. He married Susanna Dieterich, and she was with her four children accompanied about forty other followers of Caspar Schwenkfelder to America in 1734. Her children were: George, Susanna, Maria and Barbara.

George Schultz, son of Balthaser and Susanna, was born about Candlemas, in 1710, and he died March 21, 1784. He was a farmer in Upper Hanover township, Montgomery county, Pa., and his descendants are quite numerous in that section. He married Anna Hoffman, daughter of Rev. Balthaser Hoffman, in 1737, and she died January 16, 1796. Their children were: Susanna, Balthaser, Christopher, Ursula, Gregory and Eve.

Balthaser Schultz, son of George and Anna (Hoffman) Schultz, was born April 23, 1744, and he died on his fine farm in Upper Hanover township, on the Hosensack creek, April 12, 1813. This farm in 1879 was owned by his grandson, Reuben Schultz. In 1768 Balthaser Schultz married Anna Yeakel, daughter of Balthaser Yeakel, and she died in 1799. This union was blessed with children as follows: Barbara, George, Andrew, Eve, Matthias, David, Susanna and Rosina.

David Schultz, son of Balthaser and Anna (Yeakel) Schultz, was born Nov. 23, 1779, and he became a farmer, making his home in Upper Hanover township, Montgomery county. In 1807 he married Lydia Yeakel, daughter of Christopher Yeakel, and she died July 5, 1845. He passed away April 7, 1851. They became the parents of three children: Joshua; Reuben; and Rebecca, born 1814, and died 1872.

Rev. Joshua Schultz, son of David and Lydia (Yeakel) Schultz, was born Sept. 11, 1808, and his death occurred March 31, 1891, while in the pulpit of the Schwenkfelder Meeting House at Kraussdale, and his remains were interred at Hosensack Schwenkfelder Meeting House. He was a preacher of force and eloquence, and was a man of deep piety. Like all the Schwenkfelder ministers he preached at Kraussdale, Hosensack and Washington Meeting Houses, and his precepts and example were productive of much good to the community. He was wholly a self-made man, and he became well-to-do, owning two fine farms-the one is now owned by his son Samuel S., who lives above Chapel, the other being in the possession of Benjamin U. Kressley. He built the present set of buildings on the farm where now lives his son, Samuel S. On Feb. 24, 1835, the Rev, Joshua Schultz was married to Anna Schultz (born 1812, died 1871), daughter of Andrew Schultz, Sr., of Washington township. Their children were: Susan, deceased wife of Erwin N. Schultz; Mary, who married Henry K. Urffer, a carpenter and farmer of Hereford township; Manoah S., a farmer on one of the farms in Hereford township; Joshua, born 1851, and died 1852; and Samuel S.

Samuel S. Schultz, son of Rev. Joshua and Anna (Schultz) Schultz, was born near Chapel, April 16, 1852, and was educated in the public schools, which he attended between the ages of eight and sixteen years. His boyhood was passed upon the farm, and he early became familiar with the duties pertaining to a farm. Before he left home he learned the carpenter's trade, and when he was twenty-one the farm was divided into two tracts, the original tract being now in the possession of Manoah Schultz, and the other, upon which the Rev. Joshua erected the buildings, belonging to Squire Samuel S. The latter tract consists of forty-two acres, and here Mr. Schultz has since lived. From 1885 to 1892 he followed the carpenter's trade as assistant and occasionally as foreman, doing considerable jobbing and repairing.

In politics Mr. Schultz is a Republican, and ever since he attained his majority he has taken a keen interest in public affairs, At the age of twenty-one he was licensed to teach by the late Prof. D. B. Brunner, and taught his first term at Schultz school in Hereford township. He taught there four years. In 1884 he was elected school director, an office he filled for three years, when he refused renomination. In 1895 he was elected justice of the peace of his township, and in 1905 was again elected. William H. Sallade, the former incumbent, serving the five years from 1900 to 1905. As justice Mr. Schultz has never had a discharged case; he has never sent a case to court. He was president of the board of trustees of the Chapel Association, a Protestant union church association, the church being located at Chapel. He filled this office ten years, and he was superintendent of the Sunday school from 1896 to 1907, and in various other ways has given efficient service to his church. Since 1889 he has been teacher of the Bible class.

In 1876 Mr. Schultz was married to Amanda Roberts, daughter of Everhart Roberts. To this marriage have been born six children: Ida, wife of Allen Heistand, of Hereford township; Allen R., of Palmerton, Carbon Co.,, Pa.; Clara M., an invalid; Mabel L., who married Charles Graber; J. Willis, a namesake of Judge J. Willis Bland, of Reading; and Leo A. Squire Schultz is a man of commanding presence and has a rugged constitution. In the severest winter weather up to the time when he was fifty years old he seldom wore gloves or mittens when out working or driving. He is well-versed with the histories of the families of his township, and has a most retentive memory. His unselfish devotion to this fellowmen, and his ever ready desire to help, have won him a lasting place in the affections of his fellowmen.


SCHULZE, EDWARD

p. 735

Surnames: SCHULZE, KEEPER

Edward Schulze, present proprietor of the Elias Schulze & Son, the firm name under which the immense business of the Liberty Dye Works is carried on, at the corner of Mifflin and Chestnut streets, Reading, is the junior member of the firm. The business was established by his late father, at Philadelphia, in 1891, where it was conducted until 1897 when the plant was removed to Reading and located at No. 133 Pearl street. Two years later the firm purchased the old Henry Keeper tanning property, on which they built an up-to-date plant. The senior member of the firm died in October, 1903, since then Edward has conducted the business, retaining the old style.

Elias Schulze was born in Saxony, Germany, and came to America in 1881. His business had been learned and pursued in his native land, and he was an expert in his line.

Edward Schulze, the present proprietor, was fifteen years of age when he came to America and has been familiar with the dye business since boyhood. For four years he was employed in a silk dye house in Philadelphia, and has had many years of valuable experience. He does work for the leading firms of Reading and vicinity and also for several large Philadelphia firms. He employs from thirty-five to forty hands during the season, and his daily output is from six to seven thousand pounds of dyed goods. The plant is 152 x 100 feet in dimensions, and is equipped with the most modern machinery known in the business. It is run by steam, and the dye works proper is a one-story building 40 x 152 feet, while the printing department is a two-story and basement, 32 x 152.

Mr. Schulze is very prominent in Masonry, a member of Teutonia Lodge, No. 367, F. & A. M.; Reading, Chapter, No. 152, R. A. M.; DeMolay commandery, K. T.; and Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:57:06 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.