Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

SCHOENER, JACOB B.

p. 1571

Surnames: SCHOENER

Jacob B. Schoener, son of William Schoener, who was prominent for a number of years as a justice of the peace, chief burgess and county official, was born at Reading in 1805. After being educated in the local schools, he directed his attention to painting and took special instruction in the Academy of Fine Arts of Philadelphia, directing his efforts in the line of miniature portraits. He went to Florida and Cuba where he won distinction, and afterward proceeded to New York and Boston where his work was highly appreciated. He became proficient in the use of the German, Spanish and Italian languages. He died at Boston in 1847.


SCHOEDLER FAMILY

p. 1454

Surnames: SCHOEDLER, VON SCHOEDLER, DER SCHOEDLER, HOFFMAN, JAEGER, BINGAMAN, O'NIEL, ESSER, EVARTS, SPRENGER, HUMBERT, BIEBER, GEHRET, MILLER, KOHLER, HERMAN, ERMENTROUT, COPPEL, DUNKEL, BILLMAN, HEFFLEY, MEDLOCK

The Schoedler family, or as it was originally called von Schoedler, is of ancient date in the Rhine provinces in Germany, of free, that is noble, descent. From the Rhineland the family spread over large portions of Germany and Switzerland, where it originated various noble families, which are recorded partly in the Austrian, and partly in the Berner and Basler lists of Knights. The lineage goes back so far that it is lost in the early centuries of the Christian era in Germany. In the time of King Dagobert (in the seventh century), one finds in his retinue of attendants, Hiram Schoedler, Knight, and private secretary to the King; and in the time of Charles the Great (in the eighth and early ninth centuries), there were spread over the Rhine country various highly respectable and settled families of the name, as, for example, the Knight Hector, surnamed der Schoedler, in Bingen-on-the-Rhine, who was for a time town magistrate of Aachen (Aix-la-Chapelle) to which office he was appointed by the Emperor; and Hans der Schoedler, who was constituted Count of Fiefenbach by Charles the Great in the year 805 A. D. During the same period the Knight Gotthard, surnamed der Schoedler, distinguished himself by his crusades against the then heathenish Frieslanders, of whom he frequently took many captives and brought them to Aachen, where they submitted to Christian baptism. He died in 820 as a monk of the cloister at Paderborn, where to this day his tomb may be seen in the cross-passages of the choir, with the Schoedler coat-of-arms cut into stone.

The aforementioned Hector Schoedler is considered the ancestor of the Schoedler family, and appears to have been the father of the Hans and Botthard Schoedler, mentioned above. Among his descendants was George von Schoedler, a landed proprietor on the lower Rhine, who left two sons, Adolph and Bernhard, the former of whom founded the noble Schoedler family of Wiesenthal, in Austria, the Emperor Albrecht, having in the year 1305 invested him with this honor and the fief of Wiesenthal. This family became extinct in the seventeenth century.

Bernhard's family spread among the lesser nobility of the Rhineland under the name of von Schoedler, and his descendants have lived in various portions of Germany and Switzerland. In the latter country, descendants of this branch are found among the Berner and Basler nobility as early as the fourteenth century, all of whom have preserved and continued the Rhinelandian coat-of-arms. In the year 1260 this coat-of-arms was confirmed and sealed by the Emperor Rudolph I, by letters patent to George von Schoedler, of the Rhineland, and his descendants, as their hereditary and proprietary coat-of-arms. In the middle of the seventeenth century the name of Schoedler disappears from the genealogical tables of the Austrian and Swiss nobility, probably because at this time the most important and respectable branches of the family had died out, and those remaining had abandoned the title of nobility. Rev. Dr. D. E. Schoedler, of Allentown, Pa., has a copy of the Geschlechts-Wappen, or coat-of-arms, of the Schoedler family, but says he cannot interpret it.

There are many Schoedlers living in Germany to this day. One of them is a prominent leader of the Catholic Center party of the German Reichstag, and of the Bavarian House of Commons; and there are a number of the name in Berlin, having immigrated thither from South Germany. Some of them are holding office under the German government. The Schoedlers have also been prominent in the educational affairs of Germany. Friedrich Schoedler, Ph. D., and formerly assistant in the chemical laboratory of Giessen, has published a book entitled " Das Buch der Natur," which has been translated into English by Prof. Henry Medlock, F. C. S., of London, England.

Thus far no connecting link between the Schoedlers in Germany and Switzerland with those in America has been found. The Schoedlers settled mainly in the townships of Longswamp, Maxatawny and Richmond, Berks county, Pa., but it has not yet been ascertained when the first immigrants of the family arrived. It is known, however, that they were all related to one another. They no doubt came to this country under the age at which German immigrants were obliged to swear allegiance to the British government, as the name is not found in any one of the lists that have been preserved. Moreover they must have come over quite early as the father of Henry, great-grandfather of the Rev. Dr. D. E. Schoedler, of Allentown, was born in this country.

(I) Henry Schoedler married a Hoffman, by whom he had a son named Henry.

(II) Henry Schoedler, Jr., was born in 1771, and he died Feb. 12, 1832. He married Elizabeth Jaeger, who was born in Reading, Pa., April 18, 1773, daughter of Henry Jaeger and his wife, whose maiden name was Bingaman. Their children were: Solomon was born Jan. 25, 1795, in Oley township; Hannah was born June 4, 1800, in Alsace township, m. David O'Niel, and their son George is the veteran shoemaker at Kutztown; Esther was born Dec. 27, 1802, in Longswamp township; Susanna was born April 11, 1806, in Macungie township, Lehigh (then Northampton) county; Fayette was born Feb. 14, 1809, in Upper Sancon township, Northampton county, and m. Sarah Esser; George was born March 7, 1812, in Macungie township, and m. Lucinda Evarts; Sallie was born July 20, 1818, in Maxatawny township, m. Augustus Sprenger, and their son Lewis lives at Independence, Iowa.

(III) Fayette Schoedler, son of Henry, Jr., born Feb. 14, 1809, in Upper Sancon township, Northampton county, married Sarah Esser, daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth (Humbert) Esser, of Kutztown. Fayette Schoedler was well and favorably known throughout Berks county. He served for many years as elder in St. John's Reformed Church of Kutztown, often served on juries at court, and for one term was chief burgess of Kutztown. He was not re-elected because he believed that borough ordinances were made to be carried out. In the old militia days he was a drum major, serving under Capt. Daniel Bieber, who gave him the following testimonial:

"To all whome it may concern: I do hereby certify that Mr. Fayette Schoedler, of the Borough of Kutztown, has served for seven successive years as a volunteer and drummer under my command, in a corps of Light Infantry, called Washington Guards, of the First Battalion, Second Brigade, Sixth Division, Pennsylvania Militia, and for his skill in military tactics and general conduct, I grant him this certificate.

(Signed) Daniel Bieber, Captain, Kutztown, Jan. 3, 1839."

Of the children of Fayette and Sarah, the eldest son, Henry D., lived many years in Reading, served two terms as coroner of Berks county, and died in June, 1890; the Rev. Dr. D. E., is mentioned below; Mrs. Sarah Ann Gehret lives at Reading; and Mrs. Mary E. Miller, at South Allentown.

(IV) Rev. Dr. D. E. Schoedler, son of Fayette, was born at Kutztown, Feb. 6, 1840, was baptized March 15, 1840, by the Rev. Daniel Kohler, and confirmed March 22, 1856, by the Rev. C. G. Herman. He attended the public schools of Kutztown, for a time Kutztown Academy, and in 1857 the private school of the Hon. William S. Ermentrout, deceased. He entered Allentown Seminary, afterward Muhlenberg College, in 1858, and Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, in 1860, graduating from the latter with honors in 1863. He studied theology under private tutors, and in 1865 was licensed by the East Pennsylvania Classis, and in 1868 ordained at Bath, Pa. He taught school at Kutztown from 1863 to 1864; at Easton, 1864-65; and at Bethlehem, 1865-70. While teaching at Bethlehem, he assisted in starting the first newspaper published in South Bethlehem, and he edited it for two years. It was known as the Weekly Progress, and became very popular. Dr. Schoedler has served the following pastoral charges: Brodheadsville; Oley; one in San Francisco, Cal.; Mt. Zion and Paradise, Northumberland Co., Pa.; and Grace Church, South Allentown. From 1875 to 1884 he had charge of Oley Academy, during which time he prepared many young men and women for the profession of teaching, and put a number of boys on the way to college who have since found their way into various walks of life, many of them prominent in official and professional circles.

On June 18, 1865, Dr. Schoedler was married to Miss Ellen L. Coppel, of Allentown. One son and six daughters were born to them, of whom the son and three daughters survive. The son, Frank A., is an eminent scholar and musician, being now professor of German and History in the high school at Spokane, Wash., and also director of the high school orchestra. Dr. Schoedler is Stated Clerk of Lehigh Classis of the Reformed Church in the United States; secretary of the board of trustees of Classis; secretary and treasurer of the Phoebe Deaconess and Old Folk's Home, Allentown. He has spent a busy and useful life in religious, educational and benevolent work.


(III) George Schoedler, son of Henry, Jr., born March 7, 1812, in Macungie, and was a laborer at Kutztown. He married Lucinda Evarts, and had five children: William; Mary, who died young; Hettie, who married William Gehret; Henry P.; and Lewis, of Allentown.

(IV) Henry P. Schoedler was born at Kutztown, Feb. 25, 1843, and is now the proprietor of the "Washington House" at Bowers. He was brought up in the vicinity of Kutztown, and when nineteen years old began to learn the carpenter's trade under David Dunkel, and this he followed seven years. In 1868 he engaged in the hotel business at Kutztown, where he remained two years. In 1877 he located in Bowers, where he has since had charge of the "Washington House," now a period of over thirty years. He conducts an up-to-date establishment, and is very well known to the traveling public, his entire nineteen rooms being generally well filled. Mr. Schoedler is a member of K. G. E., No. 70, of Kutztown. In 1865 he married Amanda Billman, daughter of Reuben Billman, and they have five children: Ellen; Annie; George P.; Kate, who married Charles Bieber, of Lyons, Pa.; and Harry, who assists his father in the hotel business.

(V) George P. Schoedler, son of Henry P., has followed in his father's footsteps, and is now the popular hotel proprietor of Lyons, where he is also engaged as a veterinary dentist. He was born at Kutztown, Jan. 8, 1869, and he passed his boyhood days in that borough. When he was eight years old his parents removed to Fleetwood, where they lived until the fall of 1877, when they went to Bowers. Mr. Schoedler received his earlier education in the public schools of Berks county and the Keystone State Normal School, and in 1892 entered the Toronto Veterinary Dental School, from which he was graduated in 1893. He then located at Bowers Station, and there built up a good practice. Since November, 1904, he has been the proprietor of the "American House," at Lyons, but this has not necessitated his giving up his practice, which is large and constantly growing. He has a large Reading practice, having an office at the corner of Court and Poplar streets, where he is to be found every Tuesday. He also deals in horses and hogs, and is meeting with great success. Fraternally he belongs to Adonai Castle, No. 72, K. G. E., of Kutztown.

Mr. Schoedler married Edith Heffley, daughter of William and Amanda (Gehret) Heffley, of Kutztown.


SCHOFER, CHRISTOPHER HENRY

p.1208

Surnames: SCHOFER, FRYBERGER, BADER, HILBERT, LOBACH, GRIM, HAAK, ROELLER, KOLB, FOGEL, ANGSTADT, KLINE, HOFFMAN, MATTHIAS, BITTNER, LUDWIG, HARTMAN, BARR, BUCKWALTER, FIDLER, JOHNSON, ZIMMERMAN, KEHNER, HATT, FREDERICK, STONER, HUNTZINGER, HEINLY, KEMP

Christopher Henry Schofer, of Reading, director of two of the banks of the city, and proprietor of one of the largest and finest bakeries in the State of Pennsylvania, has for three-quarters of a century, or since his fourth year, been a resident of Berks county, and he has been an honored citizen of Reading for thirty-nine years. He is, therefore, most emphatically an adopted son of the county and one whom the entire community is proud to claim. Mr. Schofer's father was a German veteran who fought against Napoleon the Great in the Old World.

Mr. Schofer was born in the Kingdom of Wurtemberg, Germany, Jan. 18, 1829. His paternal Picture of Christopher Henry Schofergrandparents were Ferdinand and Elizabeth (Fryberger) Schofer. His father, John George Schofer, was a native of Loschgau, Bissigheim, Wurtemberg, born June 21, 1793, and was baptized and in due time confirmed in the Evangelical Lutheran Church. His godparents, or, more formally speaking, his sponsors in baptism, were Conrad Fryberger and wife. John George Schofer received his literary education in the local schools and received practical training in the rope-walks-that is, in the making of rope, which at that time was one of the largest of German industries. Like others of his countrymen, able-bodied and manly, he was enrolled in the army which formed a portion of the allied forces hurled against Napoleon Bonaparte. He joined the ranks Dec. 30, 1813, and saw actual service during the years 1814 and 1815. He was present at the surrender of Paris, during the engagement losing one of his earrings by a French shot which miraculously missed him altogether. He was honorably discharged from the service Dec. 30, 1820.

On March 8, 1821, John G. Schofer married Regina Dorothea Bader, with whom he lived for fifty-one years, five months, thirteen days. In 1832 he prepared to leave the Fatherland for America, passing down the Rhine to Rotterdam, where the family (consisting of the parents, and five children, the oldest then but nine years of age) took passage for Baltimore. They arrived at the American port May 10, 1832, and commenced their journey over land, on foot and by wagon, into Pennsylvania. The party crossed the Susquehanna at Columbia, Lancaster county, and when they reached Reading a friend and countryman by the name of Neifert met them and conducted them into Oley township, Berks county. There they founded their first home in the New World. At the time of their arrival residences were scarce, and the family therefore moved into a school-house at Oley Church, where they resided until the following spring. Later, for a year, they occupied a house at Bloch's Hill, owned by Daniel Hilbert, and for three years rented a house and lot of Samuel Lobach. They then moved to a small lot owned by Jonathan Grim, where they lived for eight years, or until 1845, when they located in District township, Berks county. The industry and economy of Mr. Schofer and his wife had so borne fruit that they were enabled to purchase a house and lot of John Haak, about one mile east of Landis Store. The children were also maturing, leaving the parental home and supporting themselves, although the family had increased, Mr. and Mrs. Schofer having in all eleven children-six sons and five daughters. During all the years he passed in Berks county John G. Schofer was employed at his boyhood trade of ropemaking, at the occupation of brush-making, or at the various agricultural pursuits which naturally fell to his lot in the new country. He died Aug. 21, 1872, and his remains were interred at Huff's Church, District township, Berks county. His wife died while residing with her daughter Catherine, in Berks county, in 1883. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. John G. Schofer were as follows: Catherine, who died in the old country; Jacob Frederick; John Gottlieb, who settled near Siegfried's Church, then called Kuhnsville, and established a store and post-office, known as Schofers (he is now deceased); Fredericka Caroline, deceased; Christopher Henry; Catherina; Salome; a son who died in infancy unnamed; and William, James and Elizabeth.

As noted Christopher Henry Schofer came with his parents and the other four children to America in 1832, he being then in his fourth year. His entire schooling was confined to about three months' instruction in the subscription schools of his locality, but up to the age of twelve years he studied at home and made himself generally useful to his parents and their family. During the following seven years he worked upon various neighborhood farms. In 1848, after having been confirmed in the faith of his fathers, that of the Lutheran Church, by Rev. Isaac Roeller, he was apprenticed to the wood turner's trade, at which occupation he found employment for five years.

On Dec. 8, 1850, Christopher Henry Schofer married Miss Ethelinda Haak, and four years later, with their two children, they removed to Exeter township, Berks county, where Mr. Schofer had purchased a small farm and a sawmill. This double occupation, added to the cares of a growing family, absorbed his time, energies and abilities for the succeeding fourteen years, when he located at Mohrsville, in the same county, and there he conducted a hotel for one year. On selling the hotel he moved to Mount Airy, in Union township, where he farmed for a year, and on March 15, 1870, he became a permanent settler of Reading.

Mr. Schofer's first occupation at Reading was a proprietor of a hotel at No. 219 North Eighth street, after which for about two years, he was employed in the car shops. Meeting with an accident, however, he was obliged to devote himself to less active manual work, and turned his attention to the baking business, which had already been established by his son, Calvin, with whom he formed a partnership. Subsequently they added a confectionery department to the bakery. Several sons of Mr. Schofer were taken into the business, which has grown to such large proportions, namely: George E., Franklin A., W. H., Jacob A., Charles D. and Harry L. The survivors, under the name of Henry Schofer's Sons, now actively conduct the establishment. The first bakery on North Eighth street was opened in February, 1876, with one small oven 7 x 8 feet. Father and son constituted the force, and they had no team to deliver their goods. Now the firm operate ten large ovens, night and day, and have twenty-five horses to distribute the products of their establishment, which are sold throughout the city and county. They pay especial attention to catering. They manufacture their own ice, and, in fact have the cream of the trade, whether in bakery goods, confectionery, ice cream or the catering line, generally. The location of their up-to-date factory and salesrooms covers now Nos. 229-233 North Eight street, and they have about forty regular employes.

Christopher Henry Schofer, whose valued advice in the conduct of this immense business is still in constant demand, resides at his handsome residence at No. 1238 Perkiomen avenue: his wife did not live to share his late years of prosperity, dying on Feb. 25, 1876. The their union came the following children: William Henry, born Feb. 9, 1852, m. Elinora Kolb; he was one of the firm, and died July 17, 1905. John Calvin, born Oct. 26, 1853, m. Elvesta M. Fogel, and died Jan. 25, 1884. George Emerson, born Oct. 30, 1855, m. Susan Angstadt; he is a machinist by trade, and a member of the firm. A child born June 19, 1857, died unnamed. James Albert, born Dec. 13, 1858, m. Ella C. Kline, and is engaged in business on South Fifth street, Reading. Thomas J., born Nov. 5, 1860, died March 15, 1881. Franklin A., born March 17, 1863, a member of the firm, m. Alice Barbara Cassia Hoffman. Jacob Alvin, born July 24, 1865, m. Lydia Emma Matthias; he is connected with the firm. Charles Daniel, born Dec. 7, 1866, m. Lizzie K. Bittner, and is a partner of the firm. Harry Ludwig, born March 16, 1874, m. Ellen O. Hartman, and is also an associate in the business.

Since his confirmation in 1848 Mr. Schofer has remained a steadfast member of the Lutheran Church. In politics he is a Democrat, and he has served two terms in the common council of Reading. He is also connected with the fraternity of Odd Fellows.

Besides keeping in touch with the large business actively conducted by his sons, Mr. Schofer is a director of the Neversink Bank (having occupied that position since its organization) and of the old Citizens Bank of Reading, and superintends his two farms in Berks county, one of sixty-five and the other of 120 acres near Jacksonwald. As he is interested in other enterprises, it is evident that he is a remarkably active and energetic man for one of his years. When to his activity and executive ability are added his unswerving honesty, and his justice in the conduct of all his interests, it is not strange that he should be enrolled among the foremost residents of Berks county.

On May 24, 1902, Mr. Schofer left New York for his old home in Germany, and had a most enjoyable trip. He found the house in which he was born, and many other things to interest him.

George E. Schofer, son of Christopher Henry, was born Oct. 30, 1855, in Exeter township. He accompanied his parents on their removal to Mohrsville, and later to Mount Airy, finally locating in Reading in 1869. His education was acquired in the public schools. In 1873 he learned the machinist's trade at Tenth and Spruce streets, at a place known as the Griscom Lock Works, but later known as the Jones, Oaks & Co. Foundry. In 1876 he entered the employ of the Reading Hardware Company, and in 1888 he was appointed foreman of the die and tool department, serving in that capacity until the fall of 1900, when he connected himself with the firm of Henry Schofer's Sons. On account of his mechanical ability, he has made himself especially useful in looking after all the different contrivances used in the business and he has kept in close touch with all things needed in that part of the work.

On Dec. 25, 1882, he married Susan Angstadt, who died in 1901. She was the daughter of Benneville and Sarah (Barr) Angstadt, formerly of Rockland township, now of Reading. Mr. Schofer is a member of Trinity Lutheran Church, of Reading, and also of Trinity Lutheran Brotherhood of the same church. He is also connected with Lodge No. 65, Knights of Pythias; and Lodge No. 115, B. P. O. E., Reading. His children are: Hattie E., born Nov. 22, 1883, m. Thomas Buckwalter; Clarence H., born Jan. 12, 1885, m Minnie Fidler; Herbert B., born July 27, 1887, is at home; and Earl W., born July 29, 1893, is at home.

Franklin A. Schofer, son of Christopher Henry, was born March 17, 1863, at Stony Creek, Alsace township. In 1868 he went with his parents to Mohrsville, and there attended the public schools until 1869, when they moved to Mount Airy, and then to Reading, where his schooling was completed. In 1880 he began to learn the baking business in all its branches under his father, and in 1898 the business was turned over to the sons, William H., George E., Franklin A., Jacob A., Charles D and Harry L. The establishment is equipped with all the latest improved machinery, and especial attention is paid to the catering business. They have fifteen teams and deliver all over the city. Mr. Schofer is a member of Trinity Lutheran Church, and a member of the board of public works. He takes a great interest in municipal affairs.

He married Alice B. C. Hoffman, daughter of Rev. David Hoffman, late of Lebanon, Pa., whose wife was a Miss Kline, of Mt. Aetna. To this union have been born: M. Ethel, C. Harry, Mabel, Florence and Rebe, all at home. Fraternally Mr. Schofer was a member of the old Philomathean Literary, Musical and Social Union of Reading. He is a member of Chandler Lodge, No. 227, F. & A. M.; Excelsior Chapter No. 237, R. A. M.; Reading Commandery No. 42; Reading Lodge of Perfection, 14 ; Philadelphia Consistory, 32 , and Rajah Temple, Mystic Shrine.

Jacob A. Schofer, son of Christopher Henry, was born in Alsace township, July 24, 1865, and was only five years old when his parents went to Reading, where he was educated in the public schools. In 1882 he became a salesman for the firm of Henry Schofer & Sons, and in 1899 a member of the firm of Henry Schofer's Sons. His duties require him to keep in touch with the orders that go through the office, so that the best service may be given the general public.

In 1885 he married Lydia E. Matthias, daughter of Enoch and Elizabeth (Johnson) Matthias, and to this union two children have been born: Alvin H., born July 7, 1887, who was educated in the Reading high school and graduated from Stoner's Business College, Reading, is teller in the Neversink Bank, Reading; Howard J., born Aug. 4, 1889, was educated in the public schools and is a salesman for Henry Schofer's Sons (he m. Helen Zimmerman, daughter of Milton Zimmerman). In politics Mr. Schofer is a Democrat. He and his family are members of Grace Lutheran Church, of Reading, and he belongs to Trinity Brotherhood. Fraternally he is a member of Vigilance Lodge, No. 194, I. O. O. F., and Encampment No. 43, I. O. O. F.; Castle No. 51. K. G. E.; and Junior Fire Company No. 2, all of Reading.

Charles D. Schofer, son of Christopher Henry, was born in Reading Dec. 7, 1866, and was educated in the public schools of this city. From his youth he has worked in his father's bakery, and when the business was assumed by the sons he became a member of the firm. He resides at No. 817 Walnut street, where he has a charming home. He is a lover of curios, and has a good collection of coins, stamps, Indian relics, china, etc. He is a member of Vigilance Lodge, No. 194, I. O. O. F.; Reading Encampment; and Esther Lodge, Daughters of Rebekah. With his family he belongs to Trinity Lutheran Church. Mr. Schofer has been twice married. In October, 1890, he married Lizzie K. Bittner, daughter of Daniel and Sarah (Kehner) Bittner, of Reading. The only son of the marriage, Charles, is a student in Albright College. Mr. Schofer m. (second) Oct. 29, 1897, Rosa M. Hatt, daughter of John and Magdalena (Frederick) Hatt, of Spring township. To this union have been born: Myrtle M. and Carl H.

Harry L. Schofer, son of Christopher Henry, and youngest member of the firm of Henry Schofer's Sons, was born in Reading March 16, 1874. He attended the public and high schools of the city, and in 1888 entered the business college of Rev. H. T. Stoner, located at Sixth and Washington streets, taking a course of study in the commercial department. In 1889 he entered the employ of his father as salesman, and remained in that capacity until be became a member of the firm. He still holds his position as salesman, and also has charge of the wholesale and retail department, looking after the teams and checking the supply and the return of each. He also assists in the catering department, when necessary, for funerals, weddings, banquets and private parties, an extensive business in this line being done all over the county.

Mr. Schofer married Ellen O. Hartman, daughter of Nathaniel and Mary Hartman, of Northumberland county, the ceremony being performed by Rev. F. K. Huntzinger. Children as follows have been born of this union: Harold H., born April 12, 1896; Kehl A. and George C., twins, born Dec. 24, 1897 (died in infancy); Stanley W., born July 28, 1900; and Bertha E., born Sept. 16, 1902. Mr. Schofer is a member of the St. Luke's Lutheran Church, and was confirmed on Palm Sunday, 1889, by Rev. F. K. Huntzinger. He has been a member of the vestry, and its secretary during the years 1903 and 1904, and is a member of Class A of the Sunday-school, which has been taught by Harvey F. Heinly, Esq., for over ten years. Fraternally he belongs to St. John's Lodge, No. 435, F. & A. M.; Lodge of Perfection, 14 ; Harrisburg Consistory 32 , of Harrisburg; Progressive Lodge, No. 470, I. O. O. F.; Reading Castle, No. 49, K. G. E., and at one time was first sergeant of Keystone Commandery, No. 49, K. G. E., under Captain George Kemp. He is an active member of the degree staff of Progressive Lodge, has made the unwritten and dramatic work a study, and is fully equipped to fill any position connected with this work of the order. Mr. Schofer is also secretary of the Progressive Association, an auxiliary connected with the lodge, the object of which is the upbuilding of the order. Mr. Schofer has made a number of lengthy trips, having visited the Bahama Islands, the city of Kingston, Port Antonio, West Indies, Cuba, and made five distinct trips to Florida in search of health-the results of which were very beneficial. He has attended two different sessions of the Master Bakers' Association, held respectively in Washington, D. C., and Chicago, Ill. On the later trip he was accompanied by his wife, and they visited relatives whom they had never before seen, sons and daughters of Frederick Schofer, brother of Christopher Henry, who settled in Moline and Rock Island, Ill. They were royally entertained, and the happy days of that visit will never fade from memory.


SCHOFER, JAMES A.

p. 407

Surnames: SCHOFER, MOSS, MILLER, KLINE

James A. Schofer, a prominent representative of the business life of Reading, located at No. 108 South Fifth street, is proprietor of that well-known establishment on South Fifth street-Schofer's Bakery. He was born Dec. 30, 1858, in Exeter township, Berks county, son of Christopher H. Schofer (who is mentioned elsewhere).

James A. Schofer obtained a portion of his education in the common schools of Exeter township, association with the world through many years of activity in business completing it. His first work was the driving of a bakery wagon, attending the weekly market at Reading, and he continued in this work until he was twenty-eight years old. Wishing to perfect himself in the bakery business he went to Philadelphia and completed his trade under J. A. Moss, who had been chief steward at the "Continental Hotel" for fifteen years.

After learning all that this competent instructor could teach him, Mr. Schofer returned to Reading and entered his father's bakery establishment remaining there until 1885. Then, in company with William Miller, he engaged in the baking business on Douglass street, between Ninth and Tenth, remaining three years, at the end of which time he sold out to his partner and returned to his father's employ. Here he remained until 1894, when he started again on his own account, at his present quarters. From a small beginning, Mr. Schofer has built up a fine trade and he has one of the most complete plants in that part of the State, equipped with every known device for modern baking. It is located at Nos. 108-110 South Fifth street, a brick structure of pleasing architecture, 48 x 230 feet in dimensions, and it is interesting to note the space given to the various departments in an up-to-date sanitary plant of this kind. The sales room and office contain 870 square feet; supply room, 480 square feet; first-floor bakery shop, 1,696 square feet; second-floor bakery shop, 896 square feet; bread room, 1,349 square feet; third-floor flour room, 1,349 square feet; sifter and blender room, 2,444 square. The rear building is four stories high and each floor contains 4,000 square feet. There is nothing in the line of plain or fancy baking that this modern baker cannot accomplish, while fancy baking and choice confections of every kind, for entertainments on any scale, for weddings and all social functions, come entirely in the line of Mr. Schofer's capacity. He gives employment to forty experienced workmen, uses seventeen horses and keeps his delivery wagons out constantly. He has eight persons for office work, a telephone girl, and everything found in a metropolitan establishment of this kind. It is a credit to Reading.

In 1882 Mr. Schofer married Ella C. Kline, a daughter of Elam and Catherine Kline, deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Schofer have had the following children: Robert R., who is manager of his father's store; Henry H., deceased; James F., a clerk in the establishment; Mabel A., a pupil in the Reading high school; Edward K. and Charles. In September, 1905, Edward K., of the above family, was accidentally killed while delivering goods to the "Mansion House," Reading. He belonged to the class of 1908, Reading high school, was particularly bright and was a great favorite with his classmates. His death was a terrible blow to his parents. The family belong to St. Luke's Lutheran Church, where Mr. Schofer has been superintendent of the Sunday-school for seventeen years.

Mr. Schofer has been eminently the architect of his own fortunes and his success but points the way for others to follow persistently the path of industry and economy in youth. In politics Mr. Schofer is a Democrat, although he has never cared for political offices.


SCHOLL, EDWARD ZARTMAN

p. 707

Surnames: SCHOLL, WEISER, ZARTMAN, JONES, BARROWS, FOCHT

Edward Zartman Scholl, architect at Reading, with offices at No. 35 North Sixth street, is descended from two of the pioneer families, and of which he bears both names. The first ancestor of the Scholl family was one George Scholl, who settled in the vicinity of Stouchsburg some few years prior to 1727, and who was an intimate associate of Conrad Weiser, the renowned pioneer. He is on record of making the motion at the first Lutheran vestry held in the county to build a church, the result of which was the erection, in the year 1727, of a log building, which became known as Reed's Church, so named after the donor of the ground. All of Mr. Scholl's forefathers lived in the vicinity of this church, near Stouchsburg.

Peter Scholl, grandfather of Edward Z., was a farmer of Stouchsburg, and his son John Adam Scholl married Amelia Zartman, the latter the eldest child of Levi Zartman, of Myerstown. The pioneer of the Zartman family was Alexander Zartman, who landed in this country, at Philadelphia, Aug. 31, 1731. The direct lineage in this family is Alexander the pioneer, who had a son Alexander (2), whose son Alexander (3), had a son Jacob, who was the father of Levi.

John Adam Scholl, the father, was a miller by occupation, and now lives retired. To him and his wife Amelia were born four children: Peter L., a contractor at Reading; Edward Z.; Sarah E., wife of Walter Jones, electrician in the employ of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad; and Emma R., a professional nurse.

Edward Z. Scholl was born in Womelsdorf, Berks county, Aug. 1, 1877. At an early age the family moved to Leaman Place, Lancaster county, where he received his earliest education. After the removal of the family to Reading in 1890, he attended the city schools, and then finished his education at the Keystone State Normal School, Kutztown, Pa., and in Ursinus College, at Collegeville, Pa. He entered the office of Frederic A. Barrows, architect, for a term of two years, after which he served a nine months' apprenticeship in the Shunk Planing Mill and the same length of time in the office of L. H. Focht, contractor. He was next employed for five years in various architects' offices, and then opened an office for himself in Reading, Pa. Mr. Scholl has shown his ability as an architect in the numerous structures that he is erecting, and has built up a practice not only in his own locality, but his reputation and business extends to many locations throughout the State.

Mr. Scholl is a member of Trinity Lutheran Church of this city, and is regarded among the social circles as a gentleman of refinement and exceptional qualifications.


SCHOLLENBERGER, EDGAR R.

p. 1248

Surnames: SCHOLLENBERGER, MERTZ, MOLL, LEWARS, KOLLER, FAUST, FREY, SCHRUBGIER, BACHMAN, BENDER

Edgar R. Schollenberger, a business man of Hamburg, Berks county, Pa., was born there Nov. 3, Berks county which we can trace to the great-great grandfather, the founder on American shores. His name was Lorenz Schollenberger and he emigrated from Germany in 1742, settling in Berks county. He married Elizabeth Mertz and it is known that they had at least two children, John and Abraham. The latter was born Dec. 19, 1768, and married Barbara Moll, born Dec. 4, 1774, daughter of Benedict Moll. They had fourteen children, namely: Catherine, Susan, Christina, Elizabeth, Maria, Johannes, Sara, Hannah, Jacob, Wilhelm, Charles, Esther, Abraham and Alexander.

John Schollenberger, the great-grandfather of Edgar R. Schollenberger, was born Nov. 14, 1767, and died March 16, 1840. He had these children: Jacob, John, Benjamin, Samuel, Daniel, George and Susanna.

Samuel Schollenberger was born in 1800 at Hamburg, and died in 1863. For a number of years he worked at his trade of blacksmith, but later engaged in a mercantile business at Hamburg, which he carried on until his death. He built a house at the northwest corner of State and Fourth streets and also operated a farm in Windsor township, of which he and his brother were joint owners. For many years he was chorister of St. John's Union Church. He was elected first burgess of Hamburg when it became a borough in 1837.

Samuel Schollenberger married Mary Lewars and they had these children: James, Erasmus, Marquis H., Cara S., John L., Helen C., and Samuel, who died in infancy, with perhaps one other whose name is not known.

Erasmus Schollenberger, father of our subject, was born at Hamburg and here he has spent the greater part of his life, for many years engaged in his father's store. He is a veteran of the Civil war and participated in many battles during his period of service. He married Caroline Koller, and they had two sons: Irwin K. m. Bertha Faust; and Edgar R.

After completing his education in the public schools at Hamburg, Mr. Schollenberger began work in the Wilhelm Bicycle Works, where he fitted frames for two years, and later worked in machine shops in Reading. In August 1897, he engaged in the plumbing business at Hamburg and has successfully continued in the same until the present. In 1903 he secured a large contract in connection with the building of the public water works at McConnellsburg, Pa., and later became the superintendent of these works and was elected secretary of the company. Mr. Schollenberger has fitted out all the factories and the public school building at Hamburg and he also put the steam fittings in the large M. E. Church here. Honest work commands good prices and Mr. Schollenberger is prospering.

On May 18, 1899, Edgar R. Schollenberger married Rosa F. Frey, daughter of John and Rosa (Schrubgier) Frey, of Reading. Mr. Frey is a native of Wurtemberg, Germany and his wife of Switzerland. They both came to America when young. Mr. and Mrs. Frey have these children: Ida, wife of Harry Bachman; Rosa, wife of our subject; Ella, wife of Oscar Bender; Louise; Maggie; John; Helen and Victor. The Frey family is one well and favorably known at Reading, where it has been established many years.

Fraternally Mr. Schollenberger is a member of Vaux Lodge, No. 406, F. & A. M. of Hamburg; Lodge No. 600, B. P. O. E., of Chambersburg, Pa.; Ontelaunee Tribe, Red Men, No. 312, of Hamburg; Washington Camp No. 72, P. O. S. of A., of Hamburg, and the Royal Arcanum. He is also a member of the Hamburg Fire Co.


SHOLLENBERGER FAMILY

p. 1699

Surnames: SHOLLENBERGER, SCHOLLENBERGER, BAER, KNOSKE, MERKEL, CORRELL, CHRIST, DREIBELBIS, CLEAVER, KELLER, BOWER, LEINBACH, RIDER

The first representatives of the Shollenberger or Schollenberger family of upper Berks county were Frederick and Gerhart Schollenberger, the former of whom emigrated to America on the ship "Loyal Judith" and landed at Philadelphia Sept. 26, 1742. It is likely that they were brothers, and they were residents of Greenwich township, Berks county, in 1759, at which time both were married. One Henry Shollenberger, unmarried, was also a resident of the township at the same time. The family is of German origin, and in the direct line of Franklin A. Schollenberger, of Boyertown, there is a tradition that three brothers came from Europe, one settling in Virginia, and Lorenz and the other brother going to Weisenburg, Lehigh Co., Pennsylvania.

Lawrence Shollenberger was a farmer of Greenwich township, Berks county, and married Mary Correll, of the same township. They had two sons--John M. and Jacob--and four daughters. Jacob, the younger of the sons, was born Aug. 9, 1798, and died aged ninety-three years, five months, four days; he is buried at Moselem Church, in Richmond township. His wife, Eva Baer, was born Jan. 5, 1799, and died in her eighty-eighth year.

John M. Shollenberger, older son of Lawrence, was born in Greenwich township Aug. 26, 1791. On May 18, 1817, he was married by Rev. Mr. Knoske, of Kutztown, Pa., to Catharine Merkel, who was born May 3, 1795, daughter of Daniel Merkel, of Richmond township, and a descendant of an old family long established in that section of the county. In Greenwich township he learned the trade of making gun-barrels and sickles from a man named Christ, but he followed farming principally. After his marriage he moved to Albany township, this county, there living above Kempton, and in 1848 he removed to Richmond township, where he passed the remainder of his days, dying on his farm there June 25, 1867. He is buried at Kutztown. He was the first of the family to own the homestead in Richmond township, above Fleetwood, which has remained in the family since he purchased it, in 1848, and which was formerly the John Jacob Dreibelbis farm. The place contained 200 acres when Mr. Shollenberger bought it, now divided into two farms, one of which became the property of his son Capt. Jonas M. and the other of his son Nathan M. Twelve children were born to John M. Shollenberger and his wife, the first four in Greenwich township, the others in Albany township: Sarah M., born June 10, 1818; Daniel M., Nov. 8, 1820; Catharine M., June 18, 1823; John M., Sept. 23, 1824; Lucy Ann, May 13, 1827; Nathan M., March 14, 1829; Jonas M., Feb. 27, 1831; Elizabeth M., Feb. 24, 1833; Edwin M., Jan. 22, 1835; Malinda M., Feb. 17, 1837; Lydia M. (the only survivor of this large family), Dec. 13, 1838; Fianna M., Feb. 15, 1841 (died July 14, 1866).


William S. Schollenberger, son of John M., was born Oct. 24, 1851, in the vicinity of Fleetwood, and was reared on the farm. When eighteen years old he commenced to learn the trade of tombstone cutting at Hillchurch, and after a few years engaged in business for himself near Yoder's Mill in Pike township. He next moved to Pleasantville, where he lived for two and a half years, after which he was located at Friedensburg for a little over eighteen years. In December, 1899, he settled in Boyertown, where he carried on a thriving business in his line until his sudden death, Mr. Schollenberger having been one of the victims of the memorable Opera House fire on Jan. 13, 1908. Mr. Schollenberger was a prosperous business man and a quiet but useful citizen, and he served as councilman of the borough, having been elected on the Democratic ticket. He was a consistent member of the Reformed Church at Friedensburg.

Mr. Schollenberger was twice married, his first union being with Mary Ann Cleaver, who was born July 5, 1858, daughter of Daniel Cleaver, and died June 2, 1905. She was the mother of two children, Franklin A. and Mary Ellen, the latter of whom is unmarried and since her father's death has made her home with her brother. Mr. Schollenberger's second marriage was to Mrs. Mary C. (Keller) Bower, by whom he had no children. She perished with him in the Opera House fire, and they are buried in Fairview cemetery, at Boyertown.

Franklin A. Schollenberger was born near Hillchurch, in Pike township, Berks county, Dec. 6, 1875, and attended the public schools in Oley township in his early boyhood, later becoming a pupil at the Oley Academy. He began to learn the trade of stone-cutter under his father when very young, during the time when the business was located at Friedensburg, and he has continued to follow the same line, in which he has met with uninterrupted success. On June 10, 1908, he engaged in the business on his own account at Boyertown, dealing in marble and granite as well as doing all kinds of stone and marble cutting. He has a paying patronage, keeping five or six men busy all the time, and his equipment of pneumatic tools, drills, surfacing and polishing machines is complete and up-to-date, all facilities for doing this kind of work in the most convenient manner being at hand in his establishment. He does a large business making tombstones for the different districts throughout the lower end of Berks county.

Mr. Schollenberger was married June 21, 1902, to Miss Cora B. Leinbach, who was born Feb. 1, 1882, daughter of Daniel and Ada (Rider) Leinbach, of Oley township, and she, too, perished in the disastrous fire of Jan. 13, 1908. Mr. Schollenberger thus losing three members of his immediate family in that catastrophe. One child was born to this union, Alton W., who died April 15, 1905, in his second year. Mr. Schollenberger in religious connection is a member of the Reformed Church at Friedensburg.

Fraternally he unites with Ringgold Council, No. 23, O. U. A. M., and Castle No. 123, K. G. E., at Friedensburg, and with Camp No. 8286, M. W. of A., at Boyertown.


SCHRADER, CHARLES E.

p. 1401

Surnames: SCHRADER, HAINS, HEARING, RITTER, SCHMUCKER, FELIX, KLINE, MALTZBERGER, GENSEMER, WITTICH, KLAPP, KOCH, HOUT, BRIDEGROOM

Charles E. Schrader, engaged in the furniture business at Reading since 1865, was born Dec. 2, 1833, in the township of North Whitehall, Lehigh county, Pa., and when a small boy his parents removed to Trexlertown. He received a limited education, and at an early age began to work on different farms in the neighborhood, and continued this work until he became twenty years of age, when he entered the employ of William Hains as an apprentice to the trade of cabinet maker. He served his apprenticeship of two and a half years and then followed the trade at Trexlertown, Allentown and Philadelphia for several years, when he went to Reading. There he worked for a short time for Josiah Hearing, a prominent furniture dealer (prothonotary of Berks county from 1854 to 1857) and then went to Holidaysburg where he followed his trade for nearly a year, when he returned to Reading and resumed his employment with Mr. Hearing, Jacob R. Ritter and Joseph Schmucker, he formed a partnership with Anthony Felix and they carried on the business as dealers in furniture until 1872, when they purchased the stock of Joseph Schmucker and added Jerome T. Kline (an experienced salesman in the business) to the firm. They traded as Schrader, Felix & Kline until 1882, when Mr. Felix sold his interest to his partners and the firm name became Schrader & Kline, and under this name they have continued to trade until the present time. Mr. Schrader has been in the furniture business on Penn street, between 6th and 7th streets for upward of forty years. Though entirely self-taught, he designed and executed superior woodwork, more especially parlor mirror mantels in costly mansions at Reading and elsewhere.

In 1858, Mr. Schrader was married to Elizabeth Maltzberger, a daughter of Jacob Maltzberger (bricklayer of Reading) and Elizabeth Gensemer (also of Reading), by whom he had seven children, three having died in infancy: Harry, Katie (m. Arthur Wittich), William, and Annie (m. Daniel Y. Klapp). His wife died in1906, aged sixty-five years.

Mr. Schrader's father was Benjamin Schrader, who was brought up and lived in Montgomery county until he died in 1852, aged forty-five years. He was married to Sarah Koch, of Lehigh county, who died in 1874, aged sixty-two years; they had six children; Charles, Benjamin, Benneville, James, Angeline (m. Peter Hout), and Mary (m. John Bridgegroom).

His grandfather was John Schrader, farmer of Montgomery county, who located in Snyder county in 1840, and there died in 1855, aged seventy years. He was married and had six children: Jacob, John, Benjamin, Charles, Isaac and Catharine.


SCHREINER, JOHN

p. 1139

Surnames: SCHREINER, GLASSER, KOENIG

John Schreiner, who for a number of years has been a trusted employe at the Scott foundry, Reading, Pa., is a native of Eidesheim, Rheinpfalz, Germany, born in that country Sept. 15, 1849, son of Frederick and Mary (Glasser) Schreiner, farming people of the Fatherland, who are both dead.

In May, 1882, John Schreiner came to America, landing at New York City, whence he came to Reading, Pa. He became at once employed at the Scott foundry, where he has continued to the present time. Mr. Schreiner has been a faithful, steady employe, and has earned the respect of his employers and of his fellow workmen. He married Catherine Koenig, also born in Germany, eight miles from her husband's birthplace, and she died July 7, 1887, aged twenty-seven years. Their three children were: Miss Minnie, a seamstress, resides at home; George is a machinist by trade and is employed at Wyomissing, Pa., at the textile works; and John died in infancy. Mr. Schreiner resides at No. 329 North Mulberry street, Reading. In his political opinions he is a Democrat, but he has never taken an active interest in public matters, preferring to give his time and attention to his work. He is a member of St. Paul's Catholic Church of Reading. Mr. Schreiner is also connected with the relief association of the company with which he has been so long identified.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:57:05 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.