Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

SCHMECK, FRANK H.

p. 1703

Surnames: HARTMAN, DETURCK, ESHBACH, HICKMAN, HEFFNER, BUSH, LEADER, EIBACH, MATZ

Frank H. Schmeck, ex-sheriff of Berks County, Pa. who is now residing at No. 1160 North Ninth street, Reading, was born in Alsace township, Berks County, son of Henry and Mary (Hartman) Schmeck.

Samuel Schmeck, grandfather of Frank H., was a native of Alsace township, where he became a very prosperous agriculturist, owning much property at the time of his death. He and his wife were members of the Lutheran Church. In politics Mr. Schmeck was a Democrat. They had the following children: John; Samuel; Henry; Susan, who m. a Mr. Deturck; and a daughter who m. a Mr. Eshbach.

Henry Schmeck, like his father, lived in Alsace township, where he was a prosperous farmer, operating the farm formerly owned by Samuel Schmeck. He died on a farm in Ruscombmanor township. He was a Lutheran in religious belief, while his wife Mary Hartman, belonged to the Reformed denomination. They had three children: Valentine Washington, and Frank H.

Frank H. Schmeck was reared in his native locality, and received his education in the public schools. After the expiration of his term in office as sheriff of Berks county, he operated a coal yard and stone quarry, also engaging in farming in Amity township, as well as having a property in Maiden- creek township, but is now living retired. In 1898 Mr. Schmeck joined Reading Lodge, No. 62, F. & A. M. In the spring of 1907 Mr. Schmeck was elected a member of the council of Reading from the Sixteenth ward.

Mr. Schmeck was married to Catherine Hickman, and the following children were born to this union: Henry m. Annie Heffner; Oscar (deceased) ; Agnes . William Bush; Katie m. Elmer Leader; Sadie m. Charles Eibach; S. Mabel died in Dec., 1907; Annie m. William Matz; Grover; Laura; Minerva; Alice; Franklin; and two died in infancy. In religious belief the family are Lutherans.


SCHMEHL, ELIAS B.

p. 1328

Surnames: SCHMEHL, KELLER, SNYDER, BRIDEGAM, KNAUR, LORAH, HOFFMAN, FREYBERGER, ANGSTADT, ENGLEMAN, SMITH, LASHER, MILLER, HECKLER, ADAMS,

Elias B. Schmehl, who is well known as a millwright in Reading, has been engaged at his trade there since the close of the Civil war. He is a native of Berks county, born Feb. 28, 1840, in Ruscombmanor township, son of Jacob Schmehl and grandson of Conrad Schmehl. The latter settled near Barnhardts Tavern, in Berks county, and followed farming. His wife's name is not known. They had the following named children: Jonas, John, Jacob, and Louisa (who married Conrad Keller). Conrad Schmehl was a Lutheran in religious faith.

Jacob Schmehl followed both the mason's and weaver's trades, working as a stonemason during the summer season and weaving carpets in the winter time. He passed all his life in Ruscombmanor township. He married Barbara Bridegam, and to them were born fourteen children, namely: Rudolph, who is deceased; Rachel, who married Benjamin Snyder; Samuel, deceased; Charles, deceased; Angeline, deceased wife of Jacob Knaur; John, deceased; Lavina, deceased, wife of Charles Lorah; Louisa, deceased, wife of Enoch Hoffman; Jacob, of Reading; Elias B.; Katie, who died young; Amelia married Geo. Freyberger; Sarah, who married Daniel Angstadt; and Jacob. The father of this family was a Democrat in politics and a Lutheran in religious belief.

Elias B. Schmehl was reared in his native township and during his boyhood attended the common schools. When sixteen he found work as a farm hand, and continued thus for three years, after which he was employed for a year in a stone quarry. Then he served two years at the millwright's trade, with Abraham Lasher, before his enlistment, in 1862, for service in support of the Union. He joined Company C., 167th Pennsylvania Regiment, under Capt. P. Y. Engleman, was enrolled Oct. 2d, and proceeded with his company from Reading to Harrisburg, thence to Washington, where they boarded a transport for Fortress Monroe, later going to Norfolk and Suffolk, where the regiment was stationed for six months. They were next ordered North, to do guard duty along the northern boundary, from Frederick, Md., to Gettysburg, Pa. Mr. Schmehl was honorably discharged Aug. 11, 1863, and returned to Berks county settled in Reading, where he began to work as a millwright with Levi J. Smith. He remained with this employer for seven years, during two of which he was foreman for Mr. Smith, and in 1875 he engaged in business on his own account. Mr. Schmehl has continued tin this line ever since, and in addition to numerous mills of ordinary construction he has erected a number of iron furnaces, forges and mills, as well as several graphite mills, usually superintending the latter for some time after their completion, to make sure they have been properly constructed for successful work. His operations have been principally in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland, and include work on mills of almost every description. He has at times given employment to as many as fifteen millwrights, his reputation for thoroughness and reliability having won him an extensive patronage. He has established himself in a substantial position among his business associates by honorably filling his contracts, his work being his best recommendation. From 1887 to 1893 Mr. Schmehl, in company with James M. Miller, now general superintendent of the Reading Paper Mills, carried on a general machine shop at Nos. 152-154 Court street, this being at the rear of Mr. Schmehl's residence, which is at No. 145 Penn street.

On Oct. 6, 1866, Mr. Schmehl married Annie Heckler, daughter of Jacob and Hannah (Adams) Heckler, and ten children have come to this union, born as follows: Howard, Feb. 20, 1868; Heber, July 15, 1870; Wilson, Feb. 26, 1872; Elias B., Jan. 9, 1874 (died Dec. 25, 1874); Allen, Sept. 25, 1875; Pearl, June 28, 1879 (died Aug. 13, 1879); Webster, April 7, 1882; Adam B., Oct. 23, 1883; Mary Eve, Aug. 12, 1886; Robert P., June 13, 1891. This family all belong to the Lutheran Church. Mr. Schmehl is a Democrat in political sentiment, but he takes no part in public affairs, giving all his time and energies to his business. He is a member of Keim Post No. 76, G. A. R.


SCHMICK FAMILY

p. 1151

Surnames: SCHMICK, SMECK, SCHMECK, MATTERN, BECKER, BROBST, HERMAN, HAGER, MERKEL, ZIMMER, REIT, KOHLER, WITT, ELY, KLEINE, BREYFOGEL

Schmick. Casper Schmick (also spelled Smeck) in the old tax list in 1758, was the ancestor of this old and honored family, and the father of Christian Schmick. As early as 1757 Casper Schmick was taxed in Maxatawny township. In 1775 he paid ten pounds in the same district.

Tradition states that Johannes Schmeck, of Alsace township, Berks county, was a brother of Casper, and he died in 1762, his last will having been made Oct. 24, 1762, and probated Nov. 2nd of the same year. His wife Elizabeth and son Henry were the executors. He left a large estate. His wife was to have among other items of value, 300 pounds of lawful money. Son Henry obtained one plantation, while son Valentine another. The two daughters, Anna Clara and Anna Margaret both obtained large legacies.

(II) Christian Schmick, son of Casper Schmick and great-grandfather of Henry J. Schmick, was born Nov. 7, 1761, and was the first of that name to settle in Maxatawny township. He built a stone house in 1816, which is still standing, and in excellent condition. It is occupied by Henry J. Schmick and family. His wife was Elizabeth Mattern, born Dec. 2, 1768, died Aug. 22, 1848. Christian Schmick died Dec. 30, 1944. He, his son Heinrich, and grandson William and their wives are all buried in Hope cemetery at Kutztown Pa. Among the children of Christian Schmick are: Heinrich; Casper, Jonathan and Christian

Some very interesting information is gleaned from old records regarding the purchase of certain lands by Christian Schmick as follows: On March 20, 1795 Christian Schmick bought from Godleib Becker forty acres, 117 perches, in Maxatawny. On April 12, 1802, Christian Schmick bought thirty-four acres, sixteen perches, from Jacob and Maria Brobst. On May 1, 1810, Christian Schmick bought of Peter Mattern and wife, thirty-four and one-half acres for 379 pounds and ten shillings. On May 1, 1810, Christian Schmick bought of Peter Mattern sixteen acres, fifty perches, for 196 pounds and ten shillings, this latter piece of land being woodland.

(III) Heinrich Schmick, son of Christian Schmick and grandfather of Henry J., was born April 26, 1807, on the homestead in Maxatawny, and died July 24, 1897. He was a farmer, and in 180, built the barn on the homestead property, the former barn having been destroyed by fire in the fall of 1879. He was a well known man of Upper Berks county, and an elder of St. John's Reformed church, at Kutztown, and very active in the work of that organization. On May 29, 1836, he was married by the Rev. A. S. Herman to Anna Hager, born March 10, 1813, died March 18, 1878, and they had one son, William.

(IV) William Schmick, son of Heinrich Schmick and father of Henry J. Schmick, was bon on the homestead Dec. 18, 1837, and died April 29, 1888, and is buried in Hope cemetery at Kutztown. He was a farmer. He married Elizabeth Zimmer, born May 1, 1841, and they had two children: Annie, m. to J. Richmond Merkel, of Bridgeton, N. J., principal of public schools of that city; and Henry J. Mrs. Elizabeth (Zimmer) Schmick resides with her son, Henry J.

The history of the Zimmer family is also very interesting. Mrs. Schmick is a daughter of Daniel and Caroline (Reit) Zimmer, granddaughter of Johannes Zimmer and great-granddaughter of Heinrich Rudolph Zimmer.

Heinrich Rudolph Zimmer was a native of Holland, but came to American, settling in Greenwich township, Berks Co., Pa., where he became a farmer. His farm was later owned by William Roth. Mr. Zimmer is buried at Grimville church, and his last resting place is marked by a blue slatestone slab. He had four children: a son whom tradition says disappeared, probably having been killed by the Indians; Johannes; Margaret (Kohler) and Catherine.

Johannes Zimmer, son of Heinrich Rudolph Zimmer and grandfather of Mrs. William Schmick, was a native of Greenwich township as was his wife, Rosa Witt, and they had children as follows: Sally, John, Gideon, Rudolph, Solomon, Henry, Daniel and Penrose.

Daniel Zimmer, son of Johannes Zimmer and father of Mrs. William Schmick, was a shoemaker by trade. He was born July 22, 1809, and died at age of eighty-seven years. He married Caroline Reit, born Aug. 1, 1811, daughter of George Reit. They had children as follows: Anna Maria, born May 29, 1832; Johann Daniel, Sept. 6, 1833; Hannah, Dec. 13, 1834; Amandus, July 13, 1836; Amelia, Jan. 13, 1838; Catharine, Dec. 19, 1839; Elizabeth, May 1, 1841; Henrietta, Feb. 23, 1844 (died Feb. 8, 1853); Judianna, Aug 9, 1846, and Charlotte R., Aug. 27, 1849

(V) Henry J. Schmick, son of William Schmick, is a prosperous farmer at Schmick's Hill, in Maxatawny township, Berks Co., Pa., and was born Sept. 12, 1875, on the farm originally owned by Christian and Elizabeth Schmick, his great-grandparents. Mr. Schmick was brought up on the farm. When only twelve years of age he had the misfortune to lose his father, and two years later he began practical farming. After several years, however, he sold his stock and removed to Chicago, where for two years he was in the employ of the Union Stock Yards. His next change was made when he came back to Berks county in December, 1896, and here he remained until April of the following year when he again went West, and traveled through Kansas and adjoining States. In 1898 he returned to Berks county once more to make it his home, and in 1902 he resumed his farming operations. His valuable property is the old homestead which was willed him by his grandfather Heinrich Schmick. This tract consists of 143 acres of good agricultural land, and about sixteen acres of woodland. Mr. Schmick has a well-stocked, well-improved farm and owns some very valuable machinery.

On May 29, 1900, he was married to Hettie K. Ely, daughter of Clinton and Sarah (Kleine) Ely of Richmond, and granddaughter of David and Clarissa (Breyfogel) Ely. One son has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Schmick, Harlon Ely. In politics Mr. Schmick is a Republican, and he has always taken a deep interest in local affairs. He and his family are members of St. Paul's Reformed church at Kutztown.


SCHMICK, GEORGE E.

p. 1171

Surnames: SCHMICK, STONE, MENGEL

George E. Schmick, of Reading, salesman for the Hamburg Broom Works, was born on Port Clinton avenue, Hamburg, March 30, 1881. His boyhood was passed in his native town, and his education was received in the public schools. He graduated from the Hamburg high school in the class of 1901. He then accepted a position as traveling salesman for the Hamburg Broom Works, of which his elder brother, Wilson E. is the proprietor. This position he filled about one year, when he was appointed to a scholarship by Governor William A. Stone, for the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art, at Philadelphia, where he took the illustrating course, receiving his first certificate for Industrial Drawing in 1903. He left school in the spring of 1904 to teach drawing to a private class in Reading. In the fall of 1904 he again began traveling for the Hamburg Broom Works, which position he has since filled with great ability. Mr. Schmick travels over Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware and New York City. He is very successful, and has built up a largely increased trade.

On Nov. 24, 1904, Mr. Schmick married Miss Lizzie Edna Mengel, daughter of George and Dinah (Mengel) Mengel, farming people of Port Clinton, Pa. They began housekeeping in Hamburg, where they lived until November, 1905, when they located in Reading, moving into their own comfortable home at No. 326 West Douglass street. Mr. and Mrs. Schmick are consistent and active members of the Windsor Street Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics he is independent. Socially he is a popular member of Camp No. 78, P. O. S. of A. , of Hamburg, of which he is past president ; of Arcadia Chamber No. 20, Order Knights of Friendship ; of Symmetry Lodge, No. 103, I. O. O. F., both of Hamburg ; and St. John's Lodge, No. 435, F. & A. M., of Reading, Pennsylvania.


SCHMICK, HENRY J.

p. 1621

Surnames: SCHMICK, STRASSER, WAMPOLE, BANSHER, SEAMAN, EISENHAUR, FEGLEY, KAHLER, MAYER, DIENER, HARTMAN, RISSMILLER, CASPER, FOX, MATZ, MENGEL, EPLER

Henry J. Schmick of Hamburg was born near Dreibelbis, in Windsor township, Berks county, son of Elias H. and Esther (Strasser) Schmick.

Andraes Schmick, the progenitor of the family in Berks county, who came from Plainfield, Warren Co., N. J., had three children: Christian; John, who settled in the vicinity of Sunbury, Pa., a wealthy landowner; and Mary, who married a Mr. Wampole, and whose descendants now reside in Reading.

Christian Schmick, of this family, was a farmer and cabinet maker of Upper Bern (now Tilden) township, having formerly been located in Maxatawny. In 1830, he located in Upper Bern, and there purchased twenty-one acres of land, later, in 1841, securing another tract, making a total of eighty acres, this now being owned by Jeremiah A. Bansher. He married Catherine Seaman, and they had these children: Katie m. William Fegley; Benneville m. Hannah Eisenhaur; and Elias. Benneville lived on a small tract of his own in Maxatawny township, about one mile west of New Smithville. He had six children: Alfred, Giles, Addison, Simon, Matilda and Sarah.

Elias Schmick, son of Christian, was born July 23, 1820, in Upper Bern (now Tilden) township, and died March 20, 1901. He resided in Tilden township, along the railroad, and owned a small farm, his winter occupation being butchering among the farmers. He married Lydia Kahler, who died in 1896, aged seventy-three years, and they had these children: Addison E.; S. Matilda m. Edwin C. Mayer; J. Henry, m. Katie Diener; Kate m. Michael Hartman; and Elias H.

Elias H. Schmick, father of Henry J., who is in the employ of his son in the broom manufacturing business, was born June 3, 1842, in Perry township, Berks county, and now resides in Hamburg. He was married in 1865 to Esther Strasser, daughter of Jonas and Katie (Rissmiller) Strasser, and they have these children: Henry J.; Kate m. Jacob Casper; Harriet m. Richard Fox; Wilson m. Gertie Matz; and George m. Lizzie Mengel.

Henry J. Schmick attended public school for but a short time, commencing work when still a lad, in the brick yards, where he remained three years. In 1882 he began working in the Hamburg Rolling Mills, continuing there for some years, when he engaged with the Pottstown Rolling Mills, being in this concern's employ until his twentieth year. At this time he went to work for the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad as brakeman, and later as fireman, and while thus employed he conceived the idea of the patent fish plate, which was patented and was adopted by the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Co., who are using it at this time. In 1897, when but twenty-eight years old, he became president of the Allentown & Kutztown Trolley road, but three years later resigned in favor of his attorney. He remained on the board of directors for one year longer, when he sold out his interests for a large sum, and organized the Kutztown & Fleetwood Trolley Company, of which he became president, remaining at the head of this road until its sale to the Allentown & Kutztown Company. Since this time Mr. Schmick has devoted all of his attention to his inventions. He has invented various valuable and useful machines, railroad joints, car couplers, and the "radio," a hoisting device, which was patented in 1905 and is now being manufactured in Reading. He occupies a conspicuous place among the financiers of his section of the country. He has risen from a common laborer to one whose business dealings have brought him into contact with such men as the Goulds and Depew of New York, and his business dealings have been such as to win the respect and esteem of those with whom he has been associated. He resides with his family in Hamburg.

In 1889 Mr. Schmick was married to Molly Epler, and they have these children: Minnie, Elias, Bessie, Mabel and Harry, the latter of whom died in his ninth year.


SCHMUCKER, FRED A.

p. 1676

Surnames: SCHMUCKER, YOUNG, HAYDEN

Fred A. Schmucker, proprietor of the Penn-Troy Laundry, of Reading, is a grandson of Joseph Schmucker, a farmer of Oley township and later proprietor of the "Schmucker House," located at the southwest corner of Sixth and Penn streets.

Francis R. Schmucker, the father of Fred A., was a graduate of Yale University. He at first practised law, but, owing to failing health, was forced to abandon the legal profession, and took up the study of medicine, which he practised in Reading until his death, in 1902, aged sixty-three years. He was a soldier of the Civil war, belonging to the 128th Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, with which he left as a lieutenant, coming back as a captain. He married Emma C. Young, daughter of William S. Young, of Allentown, a prominent shoe manufacturer and real estate dealer. Nine children were born to this union, four of whom are deceased, as follows: Elizabeth died when six years old; and Hannah, Martha and one other died in infancy. The survivors are: William Y., with the American Gas & Coke Company, Camden, N. J.; Fred A.; Samuel L., an artist of Philadelphia; Ralph C., with Curtis, Jones & Company, shoe manufacturers of Reading; and Frank R., with the Choctaw Cotton Oil Company, Shawnee, Oklahoma.

Fred A. Schmucker was born Sept. 2, 1869, in Reading, and there attended the public schools, graduating from the high school in 1884. He went to the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York (the medical department of Columbia University), but suffering from eye trouble was compelled to give up his profession. Prior to going to college, Mr. Schmucker had spent seven months in the employ of the Penn Hardware Company, and two years with the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company, and on returning to Reading in 1889, he was associated with the National Bolt & Nut Company, for one year. Mr. Schmucker started the Penn-Troy Laundry in 1892, being the manager and principal owner. The laundry is incorporated under the laws of Pennsylvania, handles over 50,000 pieces of laundry every week, and has a large express business from outside towns, five wagons being necessary to handle the local business.

Mr. Schmucker was married Sept. 28, 1892, to Viola Hayden, daughter of Joel G. and Fanny J. Hayden, of Long Island, N. Y. Three children have been born to this union: Margaret and Mary Young, at school, and Emily. Mr. Schmucker belongs to the Knights of Pythias, the Khorassans, the Royal Arcanum and the Maccabees. He is a member of the First Presbyterian Church of which he is a trustee. "The conditions of success in life are the possession of judgment, experience, initiative and character," and Mr. Schmucker has been nothing if not a success.


SCHNABEL, JOSEPH GRATE

p. 732

Surnames: SCHNABEL, GRATE, ECKENROTH, ODIER, HARTMAN, BLANKENHORN, FREEMAN, ASH, BUSH, BUTHROYED, RUFFNER, HILL, SONNON, SNABLE, WHITE, MENGEL

Joseph Grate Schnabel, a venerable citizen of Cumru township, and a survivor of the great Civil war, was born Jan. 22, 1831, in that township, son of John and Susanna (Grate) Schnabel, and grandson of Jacob Schnabel, and he died Feb. 9, 1908, in the seventy-eighth year of his age.

Jacob Schnabel came to America from Germany, on the ship "Priscilla," arriving at Philadelphia, Sept. 11, 1749, and some years after that date became a farmer in Cumru township, Berks county, where he owned considerable lane, part of which was in later years owned by his son, John. He was a Catholic in religious belief, and was buried in consecrated ground in Reading. Jacob Schnabel was the father of the following children: Jacob ; Joseph ; Benjamin ; William ; Kate m. Lewis Eckenroth ; Betzy m. Harry Grate ;Polly m. Patrick Odier ; and Sally m. a Mr. Hartman.

John Schnabel, father of Joseph, was born in 1785, near Yocom's Church in Cumru township, and died in 1860, being buried at the Catholic cemetery in Reading. He was a life-long farmer, and owned a tract of eighty-three acres, now the property of Andrew Blankenhorn. Mr. Schnabel married Susanna Grate, who died in 1856, in her eightieth year, and to them were born ten children, as follows: Jacob ; Barbara m. Samuel Freeman ; Andrew ; Joseph Grate ; John ; Catherine m. Solomon Ash ; Susan m. Ezra Bush ; Hettie m. John Buthroyed ; Elias m. Elizabeth Ruffner ; and Sarah m. Henry Hill.

Joseph Grate Schnabel was reared in Cumru township, and there he spent all his life. For many years he was employed in the iron mines, but in 1896 he retired from active life, erected a comfortable little home, where he lived with his daughter, Clara, Mrs. John S. Sonnon, until death claimed him. On Oct. 27, 1862, Mr. Schnabel enlisted under the name of Joseph Snable , in Company C, 167th Pa. V. I., serving with the Army of the Potomac until Aug. 12, 1863, when he received his honorable discharge at Reading. He was a faithful and efficient soldier, and during his service to his country bore his share of the hardships of army life bravely and cheerfully. Mr. Schnabel was a member of Keim Post, No. 76, G. A. R. ; and the Jr. O. U. A. M., No. 91, Angelica. In political matters he was a Republican, and for six years served as township supervisor, then resigning. With his family he belonged to the Reformed congregation at Yocom's Union Church.

On May 4, 1854, Mr. Schnabel married Catherine White, daughter of John R. and Elizabeth (Mengel) White, and to this union were born four children: James, born Nov. 12, 1855 ; Clara, May 30, 1858 (m. Dec. 31, 1887, John S. Sonnon) ; John W., March 12, 1860 (died March 21, 1860 ; and a son died in infancy unnamed.


SCHNADER, JAMES F.

p. 1340

Surnames: SCHNADER, SAYLOR, KITZMILLER, KESSLER, SWEITZER, DEEDS, JONES, GRATER, HARTZ, ZEAMER, WERTZ, VON NEIDA, RAMP FOLFINGER, UNGER, BOWER

James F. Schnader, of Cumru township, Berks county, was born July 18, 1869, in Cumru township, son of Franklin K. and Fietta (Saylor) Schnader.

The great-great-grandfather of James F. Schnader was John Jacob Schnader, who was one of the organizers of the Center Lutheran and Reformed Church of Lancaster county, the site of which is the burial ground of many of his descendants. When he settled four miles back of the Conestoga river, in the virgin forest, all of the surrounding country was a wilderness and here he at once commenced to clear land. At the time of his death, in 1829, when ninety-five years old, he was the owner of 1,000 acres of excellent land. He married a second time when seventy-five years of age. Mr. Schnader was known as a remarkable man in many ways, but was always highly esteemed for his many sterling traits of character. His son, Balzer Schnader, born in 1765, at the old homestead, married Barbara Kitzmiller. After marriage he located in Franklin county, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits for a few years and then returned to his native township and became the owner of a fine farm of 270 acres. He erected the first stone house built in the neighborhood, the roof of which was of imported tiles and the glass in the windows was but four inches square. Balzer Schnader was the father of fourteen children, among whom were: Jacob, born Dec. 25, 180-, died Nov. 13, 1861; Amos; William; John; Sally; Betsy; James; Lydia; and Mary.

James Schnader, grandfather of James F., was born Nov. 23, 1802, in Lancaster county, and died Oct. 5, 1872. For some years he lived in Cumberland county, and in 1842 came to Brecknock township, Berks county, where the remainder of his life was spent. He owned a farm of 100 acres of land, which was highly cultivated, and he was considered a substantial and representative citizen of his day and community. He is buried at Allegheny Church, as is his wife, both being members of that organization. James Schnader married Susanna Kessler, daughter of Johannes Kessler, born Feb. 10, 1805, who died Nov. 22, 1881, and they had these children: Maria, who married John Sweitzer; Richard, who married Angelina Deeds; Franklin, who married Fietta Saylor; John, who married Amanda Jones; James, who married Anna M. C. Grater; and Susanna, who married Samuel Hartz.

Franklin K. Schnader, father of James F., was a gun-barrel manufacturer and farmer along the Wyomissing in Cumru township, where he became a substantial and highly esteemed citizen. Born in Brecknock township Jan. 1, 1831, early in life he came to Cumru township, and this section of the country was his home until his death, May 14, 1906. He and his family were members of Gouglersville Church, of which he was a deacon and elder. Mr. Schnader married Fietta Saylor, born in October, 1832, daughter of John Saylor of Alsace township. Five children were born to this union, as follows: Nathaniel S., born March 30, 1854, a gun-barrel manufacturer of Cumru township, also conducting a cider mill which manufacturers as much as 90,000 gallons annually, married in 1875, Victoria Zeamer, daughter of Henry Zeamer, and to them were born eight children, as follows: Mary, Charles, Frank, Katie, Carrie, William, Gertie and Stephen; Henry, who married Mary Wertz, died in 1888, aged thirty-two years, seven months, eighteen days; Mary E., who married John A. Von Neida, of Bowmansville, Pa.; Adallia, who married Samuel K. Ramp of Brecknock township; and James F., of Cumru township.

James F. Schnader received his education in the public schools of his native township, leaving them at the age of sixteen years to learn the milling trade with John A. Von Neida, of Bowmansville, Pa., with whom he continued for upwards of a year. He then learned the painting trade with Frank Folfinger, of Mohnton, with whom he continued for three years, working also for Mosser & Pauling, painting contractors, for four years. Mr. Schnader then worked for himself for two years and for four years at the trade in Reading, then engaging in the milling business, at the mill erected by his father, known as the Wyomissing Grist, which was the first mill obtaining its power from the Wyomissing creek. After the death of his father in 1906, Mr. Schnader came into possession of the Schnader homestead in Cumru township, a tract of forty-seven acres, on which property is the famous old gun-barrel factory, where gun-barrels were manufactured during the Revolutionary war, one of the oldest business places in the county, and here also is situated the cider-press, where thousands of barrels of apples are ground into cider annually. The present home was built by his father in 1860. Mr. Schnader also owns thirty-seven acres of heavily timbered land and his own home on the road leading from Mohnton to Gouglersville.

In politics Mr. Schnader is a staunch Democrat, and in the spring of 1906 was elected by a handsome majority to the office of school director of Cumru township, which has thirty schools. He takes a great interest in educational matters and is an efficient man for the office. He and his family are members of Gouglersville Union Church, belonging to the Reformed denomination.

In the year, 1894, Mr. Schnader was married to Annie M. Unger, born Dec. 3, 1874, daughter of George and Annie (Bower) Unger, natives of Wittenberg, Germany, and to them were born children as follows: Sadie W., born March 21, 1895; Clara M., born July 26, 1897; James H., born Aug. 25, 1899; Annie F., born Oct. 6, 1901; Wayne A., born Dec. 19, 1904; and Harland A., born Jan. 17, 1907.


SCHNEIDER, AUGUST

p. 1514

Surnames: SCHNEIDER, HOUEY, HELLE, HERRMANN, HERZOG, BACHELE, SCHISSLER

August Schneider, a well known business man of Reading, Pa., where he has extensive brewing interests, was born July 16, 1855, in Wurtemberg, Germany, son of Antone and Caroline (Houey) Schneider.

Mr. Schneider learned the brewing business with his father in his native country, and worked there at his trade for seven years, and was a brewmaster in Zurich, Switzerland. He came to this country May 1, 1880, and for four years resided at Philadelphia, where he had first located. He then went to Carlisle, to accept a position as brewmaster, which he successfully filled for two years, and then returned to Philadelphia, where he was employed by the Bergner Engle Brewing Company. The succeeding three years he was employed as brewing master in Bethlehem, Pa., and from there went to Altoona, Pa., where he served in the same capacity for Martin Helle, at the old Hickory Brewery. After four years with this firm he went to Millville, where he was engaged as brewing master for the Millville Enz Brewing Company. Feeling that he had mastered all the details of the business with which he had been connected for so many years, Mr. Schneider decided to enter the brewing field on his own account, and subsequently organized the American Brewing Company, of which he was manager for four years, at the end of which time he went to Latrobe, Pa., and there established the Loyalhanna Brewing Company, in partnership with Philip Herrmann and others. This became a large corporation. He served as superintendent and general manager of this company until coming to Reading, April 8, 1907, when he purchased the Stocker estate, now called Fairview Brewery, as well as the Augustiner Brewery, where the famous Augustiner Beer is brewed, a beverage that has since won great popularity. Mr. Schneider's son, Joseph A., is the brewmaster, and is a man of capability, being a graduate of the Wahl-Henius Institute of Fermentology, Chicago, as well as having much practical experience. He is consulted by his father in all business matters, and by his sound judgment and aptitude of mind has made himself an invaluable man in the managerial affairs of Fairview Brewery. Since the Schneiders have taken charge of the brewery they have built up a large business, and have increased the value of the property by $40,000, making many improvements, including the building of the bottling house, a structure 40 x 64 feet in dimensions. Mr. Schneider resides at No. 1700 North Eleventh street, which was formerly the Stocker home.

Fraternally Mr. Schneider is a member of the B. P. O. E., No. 905, of Latrobe; and the F. O. E., No. 1188, also of Latrobe. Since coming to Reading he has joined the Reading Lodge of Elks, No. 115, and Aerie No. 66, F. O. E. He has also become a member of the Bavarians, the Liederkranz, the Family Circle and other social clubs. He is a member of the German Catholic Church of Reading, and belongs to the Knights of St. George, which he was instrumental in founding in Latrobe before coming to this city.

On Jan. 19, 1878, Mr. Schneider was married to Louisa Herzog, who was born April 7, 1856, daughter of Andrew and Caroline (Bachele) Herzog, of Baden, Germany. Mr. and Mrs. Schneider were married prior to coming to this country. Their twelve children were as follows: Alfred A., born Dec. 7, 1878, died Feb. 14, 1904; Otto E., born Dec. 7, 1879, died in infancy; Louise, born Dec. 28, 1880, married John V. Schissler, of Latrobe, and they have one daughter, Louisa Augusta; Frank J., born Dec. 26, 1883, died March 28, 1884; Joseph A., born Jan. 24, 1885; Amelia C., born April 7, 1887, died Feb. 16, 1889; Matilda K., born Sept. 29, 1889; Charles F., born Oct. 29, 1891; Aloysius A., born April 7, 1894, died Sept. 9, 1898; Wilhelmina P., born March 2, 1897; Julius H., born July 23, 1899; and Stella M., born Feb. 9, 1902.


SCHNEIDER, LEANDER

p. 981

Surnames: SCHNEIDER, BENKERT, RESH, GLASER, SMITH, FOLK

Leander Schneider, who resides at No. 1255 Spruce street, Reading, Pa., is at present acting in the capacity of foreman of the knitting department of the Pennsylvania Knitting Mills. Mr. Schneider was born Oct. 29, 1860, at York, Pa., son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Benkert) Schneider.

Andrew Schneider was a native of Germany, born in 1820, and when a young man came to this country, settling at York, Pa., where he engaged in brick manufacturing until an injury to his leg in 1872 caused his retirement from active life. He removed to Reading in this year, and here died in November, 1876. Mr. Schneider married Elizabeth Benkert, also born in Germany, and to them were born seven children: John, a moulder of Reading, m. Mary Resh ; Annie m. John Glaser, an employe of the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company ; Leander ; Ellen m. George Smith, an employe of the Reading Iron Works ; Andrew died single at the age of twenty-three years ; Michael, a caterer of New York City, is married ; and Miss Mary, resides in Reading.

Leander Schneider obtained his early education in the parochial school at York, Pa., and later attended St. Paul's Catholic Church parochial school of Reading, after leaving which, at the age of fourteen years, he began working for the Reading Iron Works. After about three years with this company he became employed by the Reading Hardware Works, where he started as an errand boy and worked his way up to the foremanship of the japanning and bronzing department, continuing in the service of this company for a quarter of a century. In the summer of 1901 Mr. Schneider became "all-'round man" for the Pennsylvania Knitting Mills, and he has continued with this concern to the present time, now being foreman of the knitting department. In political matters Mr. Schneider is a stanch Democrat, and takes an active interest in his party's success, for ten years being register assessor of the Second precinct of the Tenth ward. He is fraternally connected with Commandery No. 271, Knights of St. John of Reading ; and Court Conrad Weiser, Foresters, also of Reading. He and his family attend St. Paul's Catholic Church.

On April 20, 1884, Mr. Schneider married Margaret Folk, born Jan. 29, 1861, daughter of Henry and Hannah Folk, natives of Germany, and to this union there were born three children : Joseph, who died in infancy ; and Elizabeth Ellen and Catherine Cecilia, at home.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:57:04 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.