Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

SCHAICH, KARL A.

p. 1132

Surnames: SCHAICH, LINDENSCHMIDT, GLASSER, GANTNER, GETZ, SEABOLD, BURKHERTMEYER

Karl August Schaich, proprietor of "Kuechler's Roost," one of the best known and most popular summer resorts of Berks county, situated in Lower Alsace township, was born Aug. 12, 1863, in Nurtingen, Wurtemberg, Germany, son of Christian Wilhelm and Louisa Ernestina (Lindenschmidt) Schaich.

Christian Schaich, the grandfather of Karl A., was a native of Wurtemberg, Germany, where he was a weaver by trade, an occupation which he followed for some time, being later appointed by city ordinance as auctioneer of his district. He then lived retired until his death, which occurred in his sixty-fifth year. He had the following children: Karl; Henry; Christian W.; Louisa, who was married; and Margaretta, single. With the exception of one child, Christian Wilhelm, this family all remained in Germany.

Christian Wilhelm Schaich, father of Karl A., was born Aug. 14, 1839, and was reared in Wurtemberg, where he learned the trade of weaver from his father and later engaged in farming. He emigrated to this country in 1857, and on Sept. 30, 1861, he was married at Williamsburg, N. J., to Louisa Ernstina Lindenschmidt. In 1862 they returned to the Fatherland, where Mr. Schaich died April 7, 1892, aged fifty-two years. Mrs. Schaich, who was born Nov. 18, 1840, died May 14, 1898, the mother of these children: Christian, born in 1862, the only child of his parents to be born in America, is a retired butcher and lives at the old home; Karl A.; Gottlob, a gardener by trade, is married and resides in the old country; Frederick, a brewer at Baltimore, is married; Miss Ernstina makes her home in Germany; Louisa married Frederick Glasser, a butcher of Philadelphia; Henry, who is married, owns and conducts a steam sawmill in Germany; William is a factory worker in Germany; Mary married George Gantner, a brewer at Philadelphia; Albert, a cooper, resides at the old home; August, who is a brewer of Philadelphia, is married and has a family; Miss Paulina resides in Reading; and Gottlieb, who is married, is superintendent of a railroad in his old home.

Karl A. Schaich was educated in the home schools until fourteen years of age, after which he served a three-year apprenticeship to the tanning trade, and subsequently engaged therein as a journeyman, traveling to Bavaria and Hamburg, Germany, and to Switzerland and France. On his return home he served from 1883 to 1886 as a member of the standing army, as is the custom, and for a short time thereafter worked at his trade. On Aug. 3, 1889, he arrived at New York City, whence he traveled to Philadelphia, and thence after two years to Reading, where he worked for William Getz, or the firm of Winter & Getz, until 1905. He then purchased what is known as "Kuechler's Roost," from the Goetz estate, and here he has since resided. Since taking possession of this property Mr. Schaich has remodeled the house into a large stone summer resort, and has furnished it throughout with the best hard wood furniture of the latest improved type. This makes the place one of the handsomest of our mountain resorts.

On Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 30, 1905, Mr. Schaich was married to Catherine Seabold, of Philadelphia, daughter of David and Catherine (Burkhertmeyer) Seabold, natives of Germany. One child, Carl Frederick, was born to this union, Sept. 28, 1906. Mr. and Mrs. Schaich are members of St. John's German Lutheran Church, of Reading. On Nov. 6, 1896, Mr. Schaich left for his native land to pay a visit to his aged mother and brothers and sisters, returning to Reading the following April.


SCHALL FAMILY

p. 785

Surnames: SCHALL, SCHALL VON BELL, RIAUCOUR, NEWHARD, HUNTER, OYSTER, JACOBY, HERBST, TREXLER, ENDY, HIGH

The Schall family, which was first represented in America by Tobias Schall in 1748, and of which Capt. William A. Schall, his brother, D. Horace Schall, of Philadelphia, and Gen. John W. Schall, of Norristown, are members, is one which belongs to the old nobility of the Rhine country in Germany. Originally the Schalls were an old, noble patrician family of Cologne, later spreading into Bergen and Juliers. At first the name was von Schall, but later, in the fourteenth century, "Bell" was added to it, that being the name of their manor in Gladbach. That the family is very ancient is proved from the ancestral records communicated by Vetter and Fahne. In the sixteenth century members of the family settled in Livonia and obtained the office of hereditary marshal for the family, and in the eighteenth century they also appear in Bavaria. The name Robert Schalls appears as far back as the year 1150, and Johann Schall von Bell was rewarded with the Thurnhof (a manor) at Friesdorf. In the first half of the eighteenth century, the title of Baron was conferred upon the family, and in connection with this Ferdinand, Baron Schall von Bell, was named first, and in 1747 was admitted to the Knighthood of Bergen.

Of the Bavarian branch, Count Carl Theodor, son of Count Ferdinand (above), privy councilor of Picture of William Schallthe Electoral Palatinate, and Ambassador to the Court of Saxony, married, in 1777, Henriette, Countess von Riaucour, heiress of Andreas, Count von Riaucour, Minister of Saxony, etc., who dying without male issue in 1794, and in compliance with his will, his son-in-law, Carl Theodor, Count von Schall, added the name and arms of the deceased to his own, and came into the possession of the Riaucour estate, comprising the following seats: Putzkau, Gansig, Crostau, etc. - the branch now continued under the name of Counts von Schall Riaucour. But recently two Rembrandt paintings have been found, one of which was in the collection of the Count Schall-Riaucour and is supposed to be a fine specimen of his earlier work. It represents the painter's mother with a book. In 1748 Tobias Schall and his wife Magdaline left their home in Germany, on the French border, and came to America, landing that same year in Charleston, S. C. With them came their son, George Schall, who was born in 1735 in the Pfalz, Middle Shefflentz, Moshbower Ampt, Germany. He was baptized in Under Shefflentz Evangelical Church, but was confirmed in the Reformed Church of Middle Shefflentz. In 1757 he was united in marriage with Catharine Newhard, who was born in Whitehall, Northampton (now Lehigh) Co., Pa. After his marriage he settled in Pike township, Berks county, where he followed farming until the outbreak of the Revolution. He enlisted and became a lieutenant in Col. Daniel Hunter's regiment, serving faithfully throughout the war. He then returned to his home in Pike township, Berks county, and followed farming until his death Dec. 5, 1802. His wife survived him five months, dying May 5, 1803, and they both lie buried in the Hill Church graveyard.

Hon. George Schall, son of George, and grandson of the emigrant Tobias, was born in Pike township, Dec. 26, 1768. He was an agriculturist and blacksmith by occupation, and also operated a grist and saw mill (on the old Schall homestead), which he built in 1796. In his political faith he was a Democrat, and he was elected to represent his district in the State Senate in 1825, and was re-elected for the two succeeding terms, serving from 1825 to 1828. In his trips to Harrisburg he always went on horseback, carrying his food with him. The first day he would ride as far as Lebanon, where he remained over night, and finished his journey to the capital the following day. In religious belief he was an earnest member of the Reformed Church. He married Nov. 10, 1789, Catharine Oyster, who was born Aug. 7, 1768, and died July 10, 1846, in the seventy-eighth year of her age. They were the parents of the following children: David, born June 23, 1790, died Aug. 5, 1792; George, born July 2, 1792, died Sept. 11, 1820; John, born July 24, 1794, died Aug. 7, 1860; Hannah, born March 23, 1797, married Daniel Jacoby, May 11, 1817; Catharine, born May 16, 1799, died Feb. 26, 1875 (married Dr. William Herbst); David, born May 25, 1801, died Jan. 22, 1877; Mary, born April 4, 1803, died Sept. 3, 1815; William, born May 22, 1805, died Sept. 5, 1805; William, born Aug. 7, 1810, married Caroline Trexler and died at the age of seventy-five.

David Schall, son of George and Catharine (Oyster) Schall, was born May 25, 1801, and was reared on the old Schall homestead in Pike township. In early manhood he engaged in the iron business, and in 1825 began to operate the Dale Forge in Washington township. He manufactured bar-iron and blooms, and continued in this line of business for over fifty years. In connection with the forge, he owned and operated a large farm, and demonstrated his ability to engage successfully in more than one line of business at the same time. He was an industrious and energetic man, and by careful management he accumulated considerable wealth, retiring from active life in 1870. Like his father he was a Democrat, and he served as associate judge of Berks county from 1856 to 1866, and was county auditor from 1842 to 1845. He was a captain in the old State Militia. He married Catharine Endy, born May 9, 1805, died Aug. 25, 1873, and by her became the father of four daughters and five sons, namely: George, deceased in the sixty-fifth year of his age, was a farmer on the old Dale Forge farm and was steward of the Montgomery county prison for twelve years; Amelia, deceased, was the wife of Col. William Trexler, of Longswamp, Berks county; Emeline lives in Philadelphia; Gen. John W., colonel of the 87th Pa. V. I. during the Civil war, and now general in the State Militia, served four years as postmaster at Norristown, and seven years as recorder of Montgomery county; Hannah died in 1896; Capt. William A.; D. Horace is a customs officer in Philadelphia; Alfred resides in Philadelphia; and Mary L. also resides in Philadelphia. All the children were reared in the faith of the Reformed Church. Mr. Schall, the father, passed away Jan. 22, 1877, at the age of seventy-five.

Capt. William A. Schall received his intellectual training in the Elmwood Institute at Norristown, and also at a private school in Reading. When the call for troops was made at the beginning of the Civil war, he organized and was made captain of Company G, 167th Pa. V. I., which was mustered in for nine months' service, Oct. 20, 1862. The regiment was first attached to the 8th Corps, Army of the Potomac, and later to the 1st Corps, seeing hard service. They were first sent to Washington, thence to Suffolk, taking part in the Suffolk siege, and the battle of Black River, where Colonel Knoderer was shot. After the siege of Norfolk the regiment was sent to Yorktown, Richmond, Williamsport, and Chickahominy river, and was then ordered to Gettysburg and finally to South Mountain, where they camped one night, then receiving word that Lee was retreating. They joined the Army of the Potomac at Boonesboro, crossing the Potomac at Berlin, and followed Lee as far as Rappahannock, where the nine months' men, whose service had expired, were mustered out in August, 1863. Captain Schall was a faithful soldier, and bears a record of which he may well be proud.

After receiving his discharge Captain Schall returned home and for some years was employed as a clerk in a store. In 1872 he began farming the Dale Forge farm, and he also dealt in lime for about two years. He then removed to Pennsburg, where he conducted a coal and lumber yard for some years. He next engaged in the same line of business at Barto, and in connection with coal and lumber handled grain. This was his home until 1900, when he retired and removed to his present delightful home at Brookside.

In 1881 Captain Schall married Mary B. High, daughter of Ezra High, a farmer of Cumru township, and they have one daughter, Emily May. In politics he is a Democrat, and he has been honored with several local offices. With his family be belongs to the Reformed Church. His fraternal connection is with Gen. William H. Keim Post, No. 76, G. A. R., of Reading. Captain Schall is one of the leading citizens of his community, and is respected and esteemed by a large number of friends.


SCHALL, DAVID HORACE

p. 924

Surnames: SCHALL, BAUER, SCHULTZ, FOGEL, HASFELT

David Horace Schall, who since 1893 has been holding the responsible position of bond clerk in the United States Custom House at Philadelphia, Pa., was born at Dale Iron Works, in Washington township, Berks county, Feb. 24, 1842, son of Hon. David Schall, for many years a prominent ironmaster of Berks county and Associate Judge of the county from 1856 to 1866.

D. Horace Schall was educated in the township schools and in the York County Academy until 1860, when he became a clerk in the iron works of his father, filling that position until in July, 1863. At that time he answered the call of his country, and became second lieutenant of Company H, 42d Pa. V. I., was mustered into the service just after the battle of Gettysburg, moved to the front, and after rendering important service was mustered out in August, 1863. Upon his return home, he passed a successful examination to teach public school, and taught school in Washington and Hereford townships for two terms, after which he entered the iron works again as a clerk, and continued there four years. During this time he was also engaged in carrying on a stone quarry and lime operation.

About 1869, the Colebrookdale Railroad was opened for traffic from Pottstown to Barto, and he then formed a partnership with Andrew Bauer and Daniel S. Schultz, Esq., for the purpose of carrying on a coal and lumber yard at the latter place. He continued in this business until 1880, when he sold his interest to his brother William and directed his attention to farming on the homestead. He carried on the farm until 1887, and having then received the appointment of assistant coin-teller in the United States Sub-Treasury at Philadelphia, he filled this position for four years. Returning to farming, having in this time become part owner of the homestead, he carried on such operations for two years, when he received the appointment of bond clerk in the Custom House at Philadelphia, and assumed the duties of this position in 1893. He removed his family to Philadelphia in 1894, and upon establishing his residence there, he joined the famous G. A. R. Post No. 2, keeping up an active membership ever since. While residing on the farm he was elected a justice of the peace of the township, and he filled the office by re-election for fifteen years. He also served as school director of the township for six years, and postmaster of the Dale office for a like period. This postoffice had been established by his father in 1828, who, after continuing himself as the postmaster for fifty years, was succeeded by some member of his family until 1900. In 1907 Mr. Schall and his son John became the owners of the homestead farm, and take great pride in the ownership of one the most picturesque places in the county.

Mr. Schall married Mary A. Fogel, daughter of the Hon. John H. Fogel, of Lehigh county, and they have two sons: David Horace m. Hannah Hasfelt, of New York City, and resides in Berlin, Nebr., where he practices medicine; and John lives with his parents.


SCHANNAUER, ABRAHAM R.

p. 1090

Surnames: SCHANNAUER, HASSLER, BINKLEY, ROSENBAUM, SHAPPELL, ROTHENBERGER, HAIN, ARMEL, REINHOLD, STRICKER, MAYER, KELLER

ABRAHAM R. SCHANNAUER, of Wernersville,. former postmaster at Reinholds Station, was born at Gouglersville, in Berks county, Aug. 8, 1864. He pursued his education in the public schools at that place, until he was ten years old, when he accompanied his widowed mother to her home at Reinholds Station, in Lancaster county, and there continued going to school, afterward attending the Keystone State Normal School until he was nineteen years old. He was first employed in the creamery at Reinholds Station for over a year, when he entered the store of E. S. Hassler at that place as clerk, continuing with him there and at Spring Grove for over a year, and serving as assistant postmaster at the latter place. Returning to Reinholdsville he bought the general store of Samuel Binkley, which he carried on for six years, serving as postmaster during the Harrison administration. Then selling out he removed with his family to Wernersville. He was employed as a salesman in the Rosenbaum clothing house at Reading for several months, afterward entering the general store of Henry Shappell, at Wernersville, where he continued for nine years. Mr. Shappell selling out to Isaac M. Rothenberger, he has remained with the latter until the present time.

Mr. Schannauer was married in 1886 to Rebecca Hain, a daughter of George G. Hain, of Wernersville, and by her has two children, Irwin and Eva.

Joseph Schannauer, father of Abraham R., was a farmer residing at Gouglersville, a progressive citizen of that community, and a devoted, generous member of the Lutheran denomination of the Wyomissing Church, having donated the land for the purpose of that church in 1850. He was born at Gouglersville in 1800, and died there in 1874. He was married three times. His first wife was a Miss Armel, the second Catharine Reinhold, and the third Eva Reinhold, as sister of the second. By the third union he had eight children: Elizabeth married Harvey Stricker; Miss Kate; Maria m. Eugene Mayer; Matilda m. Lewis Keller; Abraham R.; Jesse, unmarried; and two died young. Eva Reinhold was a daughter of John Reinhold, a farmer of Reinholds Station, was born in 1822, and attained an age of nearly ninety years.


SCHAPPEL FAMILY

p. 1255

Surnames: SHAPPELL, SCHAPPELL, SCHAPPEL, SCHAPPELLE, CHOPPELLE, SCHOBBEL, SHOBEL, CHAPPELLE, HOFFMAN, LENHART, KOSCH, MILLER, EISENHAUR, BOYER, ADAM, KERSCHNER, ENGEL, STETZLER, GARDNER, BAUER, LEIBY, SMITH, BAR, MADEIRA, RIEGEL, SWOYER, FOX, SCHMIDT, REBER, REESER, WEIDENHAMMER, MACHMER, ROTHERMEL, UNGER, HELL, LEVAN, HEATER, KLINE, HEFFNER, DIETRICH, HARDINGER, KEMMERLING, TRAUTMAN, DUBBS, KUHNS, BAER, DONMOYER, GANGEWARE, ZECHMAN, HOCH, KIEFFER, SHIFFERT, AUGEY, DREIBELBIS, LESHER, UNDERKOFFLER, BERNET, EPTING

Shappell - Schappell - Schappel. In Perry township, which until 1853 was a part of Windsor township, Berks county, is a prominent family bearing the name of Schappelle, Choppelle, Schobbel, Shobel, but now more commonly found spelled Shappell, Schappell and Schappel. The original home of the family was in France, but through religious persecution its members sought refuge in Germany, making their home at Wittenberg. Among the one hundred and eight passengers aboard the good ship "Patience," which landed at port Philadelphia, Sept. 17, 1753, was Jeremie Chappelle and one Jean Pierre Chappelle. The kinship of these two emigrants is unknown, but it is not doubted that they were relatives. What became of Jean Pierre, after landing in the New World is not known. Jeremias Shappelle (as it appears on the tombstone) (or Schobel) and Eberhart Schoppel, brothers, were residents in Windsor township, Berks county, Pa., in 1754 [See Rupp's History].

(I) According to the tombstone inscription at Zion's Church, in Perry (formerly Windsor) township, Jeremias Schappelle was born in 1715, and he died Oct. 15, 1804. His wife Catharine, born 1724, passed away June 8, 1801. The will of Jeremiah Shappel is on record in Berks county court-house in Will Book A, page 505. It was made Feb. 11, 1803, and probated Jan. 7, 1805. At the time the will was made he was a resident of Windsor township. The following children are mentioned in the will: Jacob (who was made executor of his father's estate), Matthias, Jeremiah, Magdalena and Catharine. In the cemetery at Zion's Church is a tombstone bearing the following inscription: "Elizabeth Schappelle, wife of Jeremias, formerly of Deutschland, born Feb. 16, 1771, died July 9, 1817, aged forty-six years, five months, twenty-three days." This probably refers to the wife of Jeremias or Jeremiah, son of (I) Jeremias.

No records of the descendants of Eberhart Schoppel are in evidence at Zion's Union Church. He may have left Windsor township after 1774, in which year he hewed his name on a stone now in the southeastern wall of the old graveyard. Tradition says that the stones upon which these names were carved (one bears the name of Jeremias) were once a part of the walls of the first church. The fourth church is now (1908) being built.

(II) Jacob Schappell, son of Jeremias, was better known as "Jockey," a nickname evidently taken from the German pronunciation of his name. He was born in Wittenberg, Germany, Feb. 2, 1744, and he died Sept. 11, 1826. As stated above he was the executor of his father's will in 1805. His wife Susanna was born Feb. 2, 1751, and she died July 24, 1828. They are both buried at Zion's church. Jeremias, Eberhart and Jockey Schappell were founders of the original Zion's church. Tradition says Jacob and Susanna had a large family, some of their children, however, dying in infancy and childhood. Of those of whom there is record may be mentioned: Peter, born April 19, 1770; Col. Jeremiah, born March 20, 1774; Daniel, who was a taxable resident in Manheim township, Schuylkill county, in 1790, where he reared a family and where his descendants still live; and Hannah, m. to Georg Hoffman, a farmer of Perry township.

There is a valley in Perry township known to the residents there as Schappell's Dale, because of the many Schappells living there.

(III) Peter Schappell, son of Jacob and Susanna, born April 19, 1770, died Nov. 18, 1851. He was a farmer in Windsor township, and he and his family all belonged to Zion's Church, and are buried in the cemetery there. He was twice married. His first wife was Elizabeth Lenhart (1768-1790), and his second Annie Kosch (1778-1841). His children were: Jacob, who located in Schuylkill county; Benjamin, who died young; Daniel, who settled in Schuylkill county; Samuel, who settled in Windsor township; John, who settled in Richmond township, Berks county; Mary, m. to William Miller; Kate, m. to Martin Eisenhaur; Elizabeth, m. to Jacob Boyer; a daughter m. to Anthony Adam; and Solomon.

(III) Lieut. Col. Jeremiah Schappell, son of Jacob and Susanna, born March 20, 1774, died Sept. 16, 1845. He was a famous officer in the war of 1812, and brigade inspector for many years. His home was always in Windsor township. He was a leading man of his time, and a military officer of fine physique, rare tact and ability. He was dearly beloved, and because of his happy disposition had hosts of friends throughout Pennsylvania. He was Lieutenant-Colonel of the 1st Regiment, 2nd Brigade, and was in active service from September, 1814, to Nov. 1, 1814, in and around Baltimore, Md. He distinguished himself at Fort Henry. It was he who remarked that "when the British smelled the powder of the Berks county militia men they thought it best to return upon their waiting ships and sail away." He was buried with full military honors, the funeral being attended by a large throng that came to do him honor, and the procession to the cemetery was over a mile in length. The people in the vicinity of his home supplied food for the many visiting friends and soldiers, and it was said that "the entire community was eaten up." From 1818 until the time of his death he was brigade inspector, a period of more than a quarter of a century.

(IV) Jeremiah Schappell, son of Lieut. Col. Jeremiah, was born Dec. 20, 1801, and died Dec. 31, 1842, aged forty-one years. He owned about three hundred acres of good, fertile land in Schappell's Dale, and engaged in cattle dealing and farming. He made frequent trips to Philadelphia with produce, returning with his wagon laden with merchandise for his and other families of his district, these trips usually consuming the greater part of a week's time, from Monday morning to Friday or Saturday. He married Esther Miller, born March 5, 1805, daughter of Isaac Miller. She died May 31, 1886. To this union were born: Samuel, born Sept. 20, 1825, was a farmer in Perry township, and died April 11, 1895; Hannah m. Jacob Kerschner; Mary m. Jacob Engle; Esther (Hettie) m. Jacob Stetzler; Jacob M. was born April 12, 1832; and Jeremiah M. resides in Perry township.

(V) Samuel Schappell, son of Jeremiah and Esther, born Sept. 20, 1825, in Windsor township, died April 11, 1895. He was a lifelong farmer in Schappell's Dale, where he owned two properties, one a farm of 113 acres on which he made his home, and the other a tract of one hundred acres. He was a Democrat in politics, and served as a school director, being a good and useful citizen in his community. He was a Reformed member of Zion's Church. He married Catherine Adam, born Oct. 27, 1825, who died April 19, 1900, daughter of Jacob and Anna Maria (Gardner) Adam. Twelve children were born to this marriage, as follows: Allen settled in Iowa; Albert, Isaac and Jacob became farmers in Perry township; Mary married Frank Hoffman; Adam A.; Priscilla married Frank Bauer; Catherine married Jacob D. Hoffman; Ettie died aged fifteen years; Annie died in her fifth year; Samuel is carrying on agricultural operations in Perry township; Amelia married Jacob Leiby.

(VI) Adam A. Shappell, son of Samuel and Catherine (Adam), for over twenty years a prosperous farmer in Windsor township, where he owns 109 acres of land, was born April 2, 1856, in Perry township. He obtained a limited education in the pay schools of his day, attending in the stone building still standing at Zion's church, which old residents believe must have been erected prior to the Revolution. Later he went to the public school. In 1882 he began operations on the farm now owned by Joseph L. Smith, but was a tenant for one year only, when he purchased the William Engel farm, which he traded one year later for the one on which he now resides. This farm is in a fine state of cultivation, and is equipped with good buildings and modern machinery. Mr. Shappell has a fine herd of live stock, and his dairy does an extensive business, shipping milk daily to Shenandoah, Schuylkill county, where he receives four and one-half cents per quart. Among his modern machinery may be mentioned a self-binder, separator, gasoline engine and feed mill. His water supply is excellent, and taking everything into consideration his farm is one of the best in the township. In politics he is a Democrat, but although he takes a great interest in the success of his party, he has never aspired to public office. He and his family are Reformed members of Zion's church.

Mr. Shappell has been twice married, his first wife being Isabella Engel, whom he married in 1877. She was a daughter of Henry and Susanna (Bar) Engel, and became the mother of four sons and one daughter, namely: Albert L., born Jan. 26, 1878, m. Annie Madeira; Andrew D., born Dec. 12, 1880, m. Sarah Riegel; Ida S., born Feb. 17, 1883, m. Moses Swoyer; Adam W., born April 22, 1884, is unmarried; Samuel H., born Aug. 15, 1886, died Oct. 25, 1886. Mrs. Isabella Shappell died in 1886. On Oct. 28, 1887, Mr. Shappell m. (second) in Windsor township Isabella Riegel, daughter of John and Rebecca (Fox) Riegel, of Upper Bern township. To this union were born two children: John, born Feb. 23, 1889, died four days before his first birthday, being buried on the anniversary of his birth; and Rosabella, born Nov. 13, 1891, passed away in her fourth month.

(V) Jacob M. Schappell, son of Jeremiah and Esther (Miller), born April 12, 1832, was engaged in agricultural pursuits all his life until 1896, when he retired from active work. He was the owner of 160 acres of land, which in later years he divided among his children. He is well known in his district, where he served as school director and church official for many years. He married Sophia Schmidt, daughter of Michael and ----- (Reber) Schmidt, and to this union were born children as follows: Sassaman S.; Franklin S.; Jeremiah S., a farmer of Perry township; Louisa, m. to Simon L. Adam; and J. Maurice, a merchant at Windsor Castle, Pennsylvania.

(VI )Sassaman S. Shappell, son of Jacob M. and Sophia (Schmidt), was born in Perry township, in Schappell's Dale, April 25, 1855. He is a great-grandson of Lieut.-Col. Jeremiah Schappell. He received a good education in the public schools of his native locality, which he attended until the age of nineteen years, since which time he has been engaged in farming in Perry township. He also owns a sawmill, and makes trips among the farmers, sawing their timber for buildings and other purposes, being one of the first men in the county to own a portable gasoline engine which generates the power to run the saw, as well as the grain separator and other machinery. For the last twenty-two years he has also been running a threshing machine outfit among the farmers. Mr. Shappell is one of the best-known men in the township, and has many friends, drawn to him by his many sterling characteristics. He is a great friend to the cause of education, and for six years served as a member of the school board. He is greatly interested in the politics of his county, and has always worked in the interests of the Democratic party, being candidate for the office of county commissioner, a position for which he made a strong "run" in the spring of 1908. For a number of years he was an official member of Zion's Union Church of his township.

Mr. Shappell has been twice married, his first wife being Candace Reeser, daughter of Peter and Hettie (Stetzler) Reeser, and children as follows were born of this union: Laura Miltmeary; J. Peter, now a dairy farmer; Hettie S., who died in her twentieth year; William S., now a machinist; and Benjamin F., a graduate of Dickinson College, now a student at the University of Pennsylvania. Mrs. Shappell died Oct. 6, 1885, in her thirty-third year. Mr. Shappell married (second) Louisa Adam, daughter of John and Catherine (Weidenhammer) Adam. She had a son, William Lawson Machmer, a most exemplary young man, who was reared by Mr. Shappell. He received his early education in the schools of Perry township and Keystone State Normal School, graduating in the class of 1901. After his graduation he taught school for several years in Perry township, and then re-entered the Normal, taking a post-graduate course. He was graduated from Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, in 1907, with first honors, and is at present a member of the faculty; he expects to take a theological course. To Mr. Shappell's second marriage were born: Harvey A., now a farmer; James I., who died in childhood; and George H., Katie B., Clarence E. and Newell A., at home.

(VI) Franklin S. Schappell, son of Jacob M. and Sophia, whose valuable farm is located in Shappell's Dale, Perry township, was born July 1, 1858. He received his education in the schools of his native township, and there he has always made his home. He has engaged in farming, and his fine home and farm testify to his good management and to his industry. The ground is fertile and well cultivated, running water is in abundance, and all modern machinery is used. Mr. Schappell was married, Nov. 20, 1886, to Emma Isadora Rothermel, daughter of Jacob and Catherine (Smith) Rothermel, and children as follows have been born to this union: Milton F.; Lillie V.; Mamie L., who died in her eighth year; Alfred R., who died when two years old; Florence K., who died in infancy (she and Alfred R. both died of bronchitis within one hour of each other, and both were buried in one coffin); Clayton A.; Bertha S.; Ellen R.; James A.; Calvin Dewey; Howard H.; and Jacob Roosevelt. Mr. Schappell is a Democrat in politics. He is interested in school matters, and served the district as school director. He and his family are members of Zion's Reformed Church in Perry township.

(IV)Capt. John Shappel, son of Lieut. Col. Jeremiah, was born in 1809, and died in 1893; he is buried at Shoemakersville, Pa. He was a boss carpenter, and built many houses and barns in Windsor and surrounding townships. He served as school director in Windsor township. His wife, Susanna Unger, was born in 1808, daughter of Michael Unger; she died in 1882, aged seventy-four years. They had ten children: Lafayette, of Orwigsburg, Pa.; Rebecca m. Benjamin Adam, of Frackville, Pa.; George made his home in Perry township; Henry became a resident of Wernersville, Pa.; Sallie m. John Hell, of Reading; Caroline m. I. N. Levan, of Reading; Jonas died at Shoemakersville; John died young; Susanna m. John Heater, of Mullentown, Pa.; Malinda m. Morris Kline, of Schuylkill Haven, Pennsylvania.

(IV) John Schappell, son of Peter and Annie (Kosch), was born in 1801, and died aged forty-eight years. By trade he was a weaver, but he also worked on farms in Windsor township. He married Sarah Heffner, daughter of Jacob and Beckie (Dietrich) Heffner, and they had issue as follows: John; Betsey, m. to Moses Miller; Benjamin, who died young; John (2); Simon, who died aged seventeen years; Jesse, a farmer of Perry township; Mary, m. to Jacob Levan; Ann, m. to Isaac Hardinger; Kate, m. (first) to Henry Kemmerling, and (second) to Samuel Trautman; and Samuel, who settled in Albany township.

(V) John Schappell, son of John and Sarah (Heffner), was born Aug. 18, 1824, and was baptized by Rev. R. Dubbs. He died in 1901. He understood two excellent trades and followed clockmaking in the winter time and brickmaking in the summer. His places of residence were Maxatawny, Richmond and Perry townships, Berks county, and Lynn township, Lehigh county. He married Catherine (Kuhns) Baer, born in 1820, who died in 1905. To this union were born two sons; Wilson, born Dec. 1, 1848; and Pharon B.

(VI) Pharon B. Schappell, son of John and Catherine (Kuhns), was born Aug. 18, 1851, in Lynn township, Lehigh Co., Pa. In young manhood he moved to Maxatawny township, where he was employed in George H. Heffner's grist-mill for many years, becoming an experienced miller. In 1876 he removed to Greenwich township, near Grimville, where he resided until 1887, when he returned to Mill Creek, in Maxatawny township. In 1903 he moved to Kutztown, where he is employed in a foundry. On Aug. 30, 1873, he married Sarah Donmoyer, daughter of John and Polly (Gangeware) Donmoyer, and they have two sons, Chester E. and Herbert G. C.

(VII) Chester E. Schappel, son of Pharon B. and Sarah (Donmoyer), and one of the successful teachers of Richmond township, was born near Grimville, Greenwich township, Jan. 9, 1876, and there spent his boyhood. After his parents moved to Mill Creek, Maxatawny township, he continued at school there for some eight years, and then entered the Keystone State Normal School, where he was graduated in 1897. In the summer of 1892 he was licensed to teach school, by County Superintendent William M. Zechman, and in the fall of the same year taught his first term in Richmond township. He has taught ten terms in that township, and also two terms in Maxatawny. In the summer of 1900 Mr. Schappel taught a summer school at Lyons, Pa., during a short residence there. He possesses all the necessary qualifications for an educator and follows the profession with satisfaction to all concerned.

On Feb. 26, 1898, Mr. Schappel was united in marriage with Annie K. Hoch, daughter of Abner R. and Sarah (Kieffer) Hoch, and a granddaughter of Philip Hoch. Mr. and Mrs. Schappel have five children, namely: John H., May M., Wirt C., Lloyd H. and Ruth A. The religious connection of the family is with the Reformed congregation of Bethel Zion's Church at Grimville. In politics Mr. Schappel is a supporter of the Democratic party. In 1903 he was elected auditor of the borough of Fleetwood. In fraternal life he belongs to the Jr. A. O. U. M., Council No. 380, of New Smithville; and Camp No. 103, P. O. S. of A., of Fleetwood, Pennsylvania.

(V) Jesse Schappell, son of John and Sarah (Heffner), was born in Windsor township, July 17, 1829. When he was quite young his father sold his services to a farmer for seven years, one of the stipulations of the contract being that young Jesse should be sent to school for a period of nine months, but when reckoning was made it was found that he had secured less than eight months' schooling. During this time he learned to read and write German fairly well, which was the only education he ever received. Mr. Schappell and his wife are devoted Christians and regular attendants at the U. B. Church in Shoemakersville. On Dec. 14, 1850, Mr. Schappell married Elizabeth Shiffert, born Jan. 18, 1832, daughter of Reuben and Susanna (Augey) Shiffert. To them have been born the following children: P. Sassaman; William H., who died in infancy; Joshua W., who lives at Danville, Ill.; Alfred H., of Virginville, Pa.; John F., of Boyertown; Sarah, who died unmarried, aged forty-three years; George Washington, of Allentown; Samuel D., who settled in Arkansas; Charles R., of Shoemakersville; Oscar D., of Centreport; and Sevena J., who died in infancy.

(VI) P. Sassaman Shappell, son of Jesse and Elizabeth (Shiffert), and a well-known dairyman and farmer in Perry township, was born May 9, 1851, in Windsor township. When he was about ten years of age the family removed to Perry township, and there he received his education. He now has an excellent farm of 151 acres, and in 1905 built thereon a large barn, modern and complete in every respect. His live stock is in fine condition, the herd of Holstein cattle, which averages over thirty head the year around, being the finest in the county. During the past three years Mr. Shappell has averaged a shipment of over 90,000 quarts of milk per annum. He sends all of his milk by train into cities in Schuylkill county. He and his family live in a nice brick residence, surrounded by a large lawn studded with flowers and shrubbery.

Mr. Shappell was married Oct. 21, 1871, to Sarah Dreibelbis, daughter of Peter and Elizabeth (Lesher) Dreibelbis. They have had children as follows: Ella; Mahlon, married to Kate Underkoffler; Hattie, deceased; Minnie, married to John L. Bernet, of Leesport; Louis, married to Ellen Epting; William A., deceased; Jesse, and Maurice. On Dec. 25, 1907, a family reunion was held, and besides the children and grandchildren there were present Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Schappell and Mrs. Elizabeth (Lesher) Dreibelbis, the father and mother of Mr. Shappell and mother of Mrs. Shappell, respectively, all over eighty years of age.


SCHAPPELL, JOHN S.

p. 490

Surnames: SCHAPPELL, SCHAPPELLE, CHOPPELLE, SCHOBBEL, SHOBEL, SCHAPPEL, HOFFMAN, LENHART, KOSCH, MILLER, LEVAN, EISENHAUR, BOYER, ADAM, DIETRICH, HEFFNER, HARDINGER, KEMMERLING, TRAUTMAN, SHIFFERT, ANGEY, SASSAMAN, LEESER, SHOLLENBERGER, MINTER, STAUFFER, STORB

John S. Schappell, a resident of New Berlinville, Berks county, was born July 23, 1858, in Greenwich township, son of Jesse Schappell. He is a member of a family long and numerously represented in the county, and accounts of its early history and origin will be found elsewhere. Here we give only the direct line of John S. Schappell.

According to the tombstone inscription at Zion's Church, in Perry (formerly Windsor) township, Jeremias Schappelle was born in 1715, and he died Oct. 15, 1804. His wife Catharine, born in 1724, passed away June 8, 1801. The will of Jeremiah Shappel is on record in Berks county court-house in Will Book A, p. 505. It was made Feb. 11, 1803, and probated Jan. 7, 1805. At the time the will was made he was a resident of Windsor township. The following children are mentioned in the will: Jacob (who was made executor of his father's estate), Matthias, Jeremiah, Magdalena and Catharine. In the cemetery at Zion's Church is a tombstone bearing the following inscription: "Elizabeth Schappelle, wife of Jeremias, formerly of Deitschland, born Feb. 16, 1771, died July 9, 1817, aged forty-six years, five months, twenty-three days." This probably refers to the wife of Jeremias or Jeremiah, son of (I) Jeremias.

Earlier forms of this name were Schappelle, Choppelle, Schobbel and Shobel, but it is now more commonly found Shappell, Schappell and Schappel.

Jacob Schappell, son of Jeremias, was better known as "Jockey," a nickname evidently taken from the German pronunciation of his name. He was born in Wittenberg, Germany, Feb. 2, 1744, and he died Sept. 11, 1826. As stated above he was the executor of his father's will in 1805. His wife Susanna was born Feb. 2, 1751, and she died July 24, 1828. They are both buried at Zion's Church. Jeremias, Eberhart and Jockey Schappell were founders of the original Zion's Church. Tradition says Jacob and Susanna reared a large family, some of their children, however, dying in infancy and childhood. Of those of whom there is record may be mentioned: Peter, born April 19, 1770; Col. Jeremiah, born March 20, 1774; Daniel, who was a taxable resident in Manheim township, Schuylkill county, in 1790, where he reared a family and where his descendants still live; and Hannah, who married Georg Hoffman, a farmer of Perry township.

Peter Schappell, son of Jacob and Susanna, born April 19, 1770, died Nov. 18, 1851. He was a farmer in Windsor township, and he and his family all belonged to Zion's Church, and are buried in the cemetery there. He was twice married. His first wife was Elizabeth Lenhart (1768-1790), and his second Annie Kosch (1778-1841. His children were: Jacob located in Schuylkill county; Benjamin died young; Daniel settled in Schuylkill county; Samuel settled in Windsor township; John settled in Richmond township, Berks county; Mary m. William Miller; Kate m. Martin Eisenhaur; Elizabeth m. Jacob Boyer; a daughter m. Anthony Adam; and Solomon.

(IV) John Schappell, son of Peter and Annie (Kosch), was born in 1801 and died aged forty-eight years. By trade he was a weaver, but he also worked on farms in Windsor township. He married Sarah Heffner, daughter of Jacob and Beckie (Dietrich) Heffner, and they had issue as follows: John; Betsey m. Moses Miller; Benjamin died young; John (2); Simon died aged seventeen years; Jesse became a farmer of Perry township; Mary m. Jacob Levan; Ann m. Isaac Hardinger; Kate m. (first) Henry Kemmerling and (second) Samuel Trautman; and Samuel settled in Albany township.

Jesse Schappell, son of John and Sarah (Heffner), was born in Windsor township July 17, 1829. When quite young his father sold his services to a farmer for seven years, one of the stipulations of the contract being that young Jesse should be sent to school for a period of nine months, but when reckoning was made it was found that he had secured less than eight months' schooling. During this time he learned to read and write German fairly well, which was the only education he ever received. Mr. Schappell and his wife are devoted Christians and regular attendants at the U. B. Church in Shoemakersville. On Dec. 14, 1850, Mr. Schappell married Elizabeth Shiffert, born Jan. 18, 1832, daughter of Reuben and Susanna (Angey) Schiffert. To them have been born the following children: P. Sassaman; William H. died in infancy; Josiah W. lives at Danville, Ill.; Alfred H. is of Virginville, Pa.; John S.; Sarah died unmarried, aged forty-three years; George Washington resides at Allentown; Samuel D. settled in Arkansas; Charles R. lives at Danville, Ill.; Oscar D. is of Centreport, Pa.; and Sevena Andora died in infancy.

John S. Schappell attended the public schools of Windsor township until his parents moved to Perry township, where he went to school until he was fifteen years old. He was reared to farming, and when twenty-one years old commenced to learn stone-cutting, with D. H. Leeser, then of Boyertown, now of Wernersville. He remained in Mr. Leeser's employ for six years, after that in 1884 engaging in business on his own account at Boyertown. After continuing the business very successfully for seventeen years he sold out to W. S. Shollenberger, and subsequently lived retired for a brief period, owing to poor health. He then entered the employ of H. L. Minter, of Pottstown, working for him five years. In 1905 he bought the fine residence at New Berlinville where he now lives, though he is engaged at the establishment of Horace Storb, in Pottstown, as marble and stone cutter. He is in comfortable circumstances and one of the substantial citizens of his locality.
    On Nov. 1, 1884, Mr. Schappell was married to Clara L. Stauffer, daughter of Jacob B. Stauffer. No children have been born to them, but they have an adopted daughter, Ida M. Schappell, daughter of Charles R. and Alice Schappell, of Shoemakersville, who has been with them since she was five months old. She is at present a student in the Myerstown College, at Myerstown, Pa., taking the full college course, and is especially talented as a musician.
    Mr. Schappell and his family are consistent and active members of the United Evangelical Church at Boyertown, Pa., and he was formerly a working member of the church at Pottstown, serving as steward and trustee during his residence at that place. He is liberal in his support of the church and religious movements generally.


SCHARFF, JOHN L.

p. 631
Surnames: SCHARFF, SHARFF, SCHARF, REITH, FITLER, SCHUETZ, LAUER, WALBORN, ZERBE, FISCHER, PACHT, LERCH, ANSBACH, RIEGNER, WENRICH, RIESSAR, MILLER, WILHELM, PEIFFER, SWALM, FORRER, KLOPP, FILBERT, LEISS, LEINBACH, HOUCK, MOYER, HAIN, BERG, HOWELL

John L. Scharff, a resident of Reading since 1887, was born March 27, 1837, at Host, in Tulpehocken township, Berks county. He is a descendant in the fifth generation from Conrad Scharff, the ancestor of a family which became numerous in western Berks county, a few of whose descendants still reside in the vicinity of Stouchsburg.

(I) Conrad Scharff (also spelled Sharff and Scharf, though Scharff is the correct form) was born March 22, 1697, in Germany, and in 1709 landed at New York with his parents. They located at Livingstone Manor, in New York, but later with many other German families, settled at Schoharie, where they lived in peace and contentment until about 1719. In 1723 thirty-three families moved to Pennsylvania, settling in Tulpehocken, some fifteen miles west of the Schuylkill river. Among these settlers were George and Peter Reith, Gottfried Fitler, Conrad Schuetz, Antonius Scharff, Christian Lauer, Andraes Walborn, Lorentz Zerbe, Sebastian Fischer, Johan Peter Pacht, Johann Adam Lerch and George Ansbach. In 1728 fifteen other families left the Schoharie and settled in the same vicinity, among this colony being Conrad Scharff. He was a farmer by occupation. It is not known what relationship existed between Antonius and Conrad Scharff, but it is likely that they were brothers. Conrad Scharff died May 15, 1776. His wife, Maria Margaret, born July 28, 1721, died April 20, 1781. These pioneers are buried in the graveyard of the Little Tulpehocken Church. On Oct. 10, 1772, Conrad Scharff lived in Heidelberg township. His will, on record in Will Book A, page 17, mentions the following children: George, who was to have L5 for his birthright; John, who was to have a plantation; Esther (Riegner); Catharine Margaret, and Mary Catharine.

(II) Georg (George) Scharff, the eldest son of Conrad, lived in Heidelberg township, Berks county, where he died some time in the year 1826. He was a farmer, and left his farm by will to his son John. His last will and testament, made in 1825, was witnessed by John and Paul Wenrich. It is in the old style of German script, written in very fine letters, and is exceedingly hard to interpret and almost impossible of translation. It mentions a daughter Elizabeth, who it appears was twice married, one of her husbands being John Riessar, by whom she had John, Samuel and Maria Riessar.

(II) John (Johan) Scharff, younger son of Conrad, was a farmer in Tulpehocken township. He died sometime during 1838, his will having been entered on Dec. 20th of that year. It is written in German, was made April 20, 1829, and is on record in Will Book VIII, page 93. His wife, Rosina, must have died prior to the making of this document. The following children are mentioned: Johannes, Johan George, Daniel, and Susanna (born July 8, 1788, died March 6, 1857, m. Leonard Zerbe).

(III) Johan Georg Scharff, son of John, born April 6, 1790, died May 25, 1861, in his seventy-second year. He lived and died on his farm near Stouchsburg, which consisted of 121 acres, and which after his death belonged to his son Willoughby, after the latter's death coming into the possession of Morris W. Scharff, the present owner. On Dec. 31, 1817, he married Catharine Walborn (1794-1872), and they are buried side by side in the graveyard of Christ's Lutheran Church, in Marion township. They had a family of six children: Harriet died unmarried; Eliza married Benjamin Miller; Rebecca married Isaac H. Wenrich; Willoughby is mentioned below; Jonathan never married; Edward died when young.

(IV) Willoughby Scharff, son of Johan Georg, was born in Mill Creek township, Lebanon Co., Pa., Oct. 10, 1825, and died Jan. 5, 1907, in his eighty-second year. When he was two years old he was brought by his parents to a farm near Stouchsburg, and there he spent the remainder of his life, following farming throughout his active years. He was a Democrat, and served as school director of Marion township. He and his family were members of Christ Lutheran Church. His wife, Mary (Wilhelm), was a daughter of Jacob and Barbara Wilhelm. They had four children: Amanda, Morris W., John W. (a cigar-maker at Stouchsburg) and Emma M.

(V) Morris W. Scharff, born near Stouchsburg June 15, 1857, came into possession of his father's farm in 1879, and still cultivates that place. The bed of the Union canal passes through his property. The barn, 43 by 105 feet in dimensions, was built by his father in 1870, and the stone house, a residence of colonial architecture, was built by his grandfather, Johan Georg Scharff, in 1837. Mr. Scharff is active in local affairs, has served as school director of Marion township, and in 1907 was elected a justice of the peace, which office he is at present filling. He is a Democrat in politics.
    In 1878 Mr. Scharff married Amanda E. Peiffer, daughter of Philip and Maria (Zerbe) Peiffer, and they have had two children, Mary E. and Horace P. The daughter married John J. Swalm and lives in Reading. Mr. Scharff is a member and officer of Christ Lutheran Church.

(III) Daniel Scharff, son of John, born Sept. 4, 1793, in Tulpehocken township, died June 17, 1866, in his seventy-third year. He was a farmer, and also conducted the "Cross Keys hotel" and ware house for grains, salt, and coal, on the Union Canal, for many years. On June 30, 1813, he married Eva Elizabeth Forrer, born May 7, 1789, died Aug. 8, 1847, and to them were born two children, Isaac and Mary, the latter the wife of Jonathan Klopp, a hotel proprietor in Stouchsburg, Berks Co., and later a miller at Selinsgrove, Pa. Mr. Scharff, when his daughter moved to Selinsgrove, became a resident of Womelsdorf, and lived in the family of his granddaughter, Mrs. George Filbert, but died while at the home of his daughter, on a visit, and he is buried at Host, Berks county.

(IV) Isaac Scharff, son of Daniel, was born Aug. 22, 1814, in the vicinity of Cross Keys and died Aug. 26, 1845, aged thirty-one years, four days, and is buried at Tulpehocken Church. In his youth he attended the Harrisburg Academy for several winters, while he assisted his father on the farm during the summer days. He married Rebecca Leiss (1813-1847), daughter of John Leiss. In 1837 he moved his family to his farm about a mile east of Myerstown, Lebanon Co., Pa., and became the farmer thereof. He was inclined to music, and more than ordinarily skilled in mechanics. He organized the Washington Band of Myerstown, and conducted the same until his death. He was a member of the Lutheran Church. To him and his wife were born children as follows: John L.; Maria, who died young; Emma (deceased), m. to George Filbert, after she had finished her education at Linden Hall, Lititz, Pa.; and William.

(V) William Scharff, son of Isaac and Rebecca, attended the common schools, and Academy in Myerstown and finished his education at the Jonestown Institute of Lebanon county. Being musically inclined, he spent several years at the Boston Conservatory of music, and later, two years in Stuttgart, Germany, as student on the piano, after which he became a teacher of music, and made it his life profession. He conducted the Brass Band at Womelsdorf for many years, playing clarionet. In 1876 he married Miss Mary C. Leinbach, daughter of Joseph Leinbach, merchant, in Reading. To this union was born, one daughter, Elsie, who studied drama in New York and the old country, and toured the States with the Louis James Company. Mr. Scharff was the professor of music at the Jonestown Institute for some time, and had many students in Womelsdorf and vicinity. In the spring of 1888 he moved his family to Kansas City, Mo., where he still continues his profession. During the Civil War, he enlisted with the band, of Womelsdorf, and did camp service in Camp Cameron at Harrisburg for about three months, when he was transferred to Philadelphia, Pa., and mustered into Company E, of the 90th Pa. V. I., as private musician Nov. 26, 1861. He left with the regiment the following spring, for the seat of war, but was taken sick, and placed in the hospital at Washington, where he was discharged and taken home. He recovered after many days, and followed his profession again.

(V) John L. Scharff was born March 27, 1837, at Host, Berks county, on the farm of his grandfather John Leiss. In April following, he was taken to his father's farm in Jackson township, Lebanon county, about one mile east of Myerstown, where he spent his youth, and attended the Myerstown Academy of which his father was a stock-holder. About the age of seventeen he became a teacher in the public schools under Prof. Henry Houck, then Superintendent of schools in Lebanon county, now the honored Secretary of internal affairs in Pennsylvania. In 1857 and 1858, he was a student of Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pa., after which he lived with his widowed aunt in Host (Mrs. John S. Leiss), where he again spent his time in teaching school. In 1860 he became a resident of Womelsdorf living in his sister's (Mrs. Geo. Filbert's) family. He cast his first vote for the great Lincoln, and has been a warm Republican ever since. He was a charter member of the Minnehaha Cornet Band of Womelsdorf, in which he took a deep interest, and in September, 1861, went with the same to Harrisburg, and enlisted as Regimental Band, doing Camp duties in Camp Cameron until some time in November, when the Band was transferred to Philadelphia, and on the 26th of that month, were mustered as private musicians for three years in the 90th Pa. V. I. He became a member of Company H of that regiment, and spent the winter in Camp on Nicetown Lane in Philadelphia. In the early spring of 1862, he left with the Regiment for the seat of war, and participated in the battle at White Mountain, and on the 18th day of the following September, was discharged with the band by an order of the Adjutant General at Washington, D. C. On July 2, 1863, he re-enlisted as sergeant of Company K, 42nd Pa. V. I. for ninety days, and was again discharged on August 11th, following.
    On May 18, 1866, Mr. Scharff married Miss Otilla Moyer, daughter of Henry and Anna (Hain) Moyer, of Womelsdorf, Pa. Mr. Scharff then taught the grammar school in Womelsdorf for a number of years, being at the same time organist and superintendent of the Sunday school of Zion's church of the same place, and Secretary of Williamson Lodge No. 307, F. & A. M., of which he is still a member. Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Scharff: Eva, William, Emma, Ella and Annie. Eva was given a liberal education on the piano by her uncle, and was a teacher on the same, and connected with Church Choirs and the Choral Societies of the able Prof. Ed. Berg, and Mrs. Dr. Howel of Reading. She was domestically inclined, and remained unmarried with her parents. William became a clarinetist and played with the Franklin Band of Philadelphia, a number of years. He was a cigar packer by trade, and died June 25, 1897. Emma was a milliner by trade, and a proficient performer on the guitar. She conducted a ladies Mandolin and Guitar Club for several years. She died July 25, 1901. Ella and Annie died at the age of five years. Mr. Scharff moved his family to Reading, Pa., in March, 1887. He connected himself with the Reading Hardware Co., with which he is still employed. For a number of years he was a member of the Ringgold Band. He is a member of McLean Post No. 16, G. A. R.; and a member of Grace Lutheran Church of Reading. His home is at No. 349 South Third Street.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:57:02 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.