Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

SCHAEFER J. GEORGE

p. 771

Surnames: SCHAEFER, HERBST, HACKEY, VOGEL, NEILAND, SISTER MARCUS

J. George Schaefer, who was for many years engaged in tailoring in the city of Reading, Pa., was born in the Province of Hesse, Germany, Feb. 19, 1826, son of J. George and Elizabeth (Herbst) Schaefer.

Mr. Schaefer was the youngest of his father's family, and he received his education in his native country, there learning the tailor trade from his father. He came to America in May, 1847, and finished his trade with his brother, Peter C., at Reading. My Schaefer came direct to Reading, where he spent the remainder of his life engaged in tailoring, thirty years being spent with William Hackey, who had a place of business at Seventh and Penn streets. A short period before his death Mr. Schaefer lived retired, and he died Dec. 3, 1889, and is buried at St. Paul's Catholic cemetery, which is located at the foot of Neversink Mountain Mr. Schaefer was married to Fredericka Vogel, born July 17, 1834, six miles from Mr. Schaefer's birthplace in Germany, daughter of Frederick and Ottillia (Neiland) Vogel, and to this union there have been born children as follows: Mary A., resides with her mother; Clara is known in the church as Sister Marcus, and a teacher in a parochial school; Father Joseph A., born in Reading, attended the St. Paul's parochial school of Reading until his thirteenth year, Vincent College (Latrobe) , Beatty P. O. Westmoreland county, and St. Charles Seminary at Overbrook, Montgomery county, was located at Pottsville, and for five years has been at Manayunk; Theresa, born Oct. 10, 1860, died June 23, 1867; John F. , born Feb. 1 , 1865, died Feb. 28, 1870; Mary E. , born July 30, 1868, died Jan. 18 , 1869; and George A. born Aug. 12, 1870, met his death while at the Philadelphia & Reading shops in the cyclone of Jan. 9, 1889.

Mr. J. George Schaefer was a faithful member of St. Paul's Catholic Church. He was a Democrat in his political views, but never took an active part in public matters. His widow, who survives him, still lives at the old home, No. 224 North Ninth street.


SCHAEFFER, CHARLES S.

p. 368

Surnames: SCHAEFFER, ERMENTROUT, MCKNIGHT

Charles H. Schaeffer, one of the most prominent and influential citizens of Reading, is well known in the financial circles of that city as president of the National Union Bank. Mr. Schaeffer was born in Columbus, Ohio, in the year 1840. His father and grandfather were clergymen, distinguished in the Lutheran Church, his father having been for many years professor in the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg, and later having been the founder, first professor and president of the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Mt. Airy, Philadelphia, where he remained until his death in 1879.

Picture of Charles H. SchaefferCharles H. Schaeffer received his collegiate education at Pennsylvania College, Gettysburg, from which he graduated with honor in 1860, and thereafter he conducted a classical academy at Reading for several years. During this period he also read law in the office of the late Congressman Daniel Ermentrout. In 1863 he enlisted in the service of the United States and was a the front until his regiment disbanded in the fall of that year. On Aug. 9, 1864, he was admitted to the Bar and since that time has been in continuous practice, being concerned in much of the most important litigation that has been before the courts of Berks county, the Supreme court of Pennsylvania and the United States courts, and during his professional career has been attorney for many of the most important corporate interests of the community.

Mr. Schaeffer has been prominently identified with the Democratic party from the first, and in his earlier years was a prominent speaker and worker in his party, representing it in county, State and national conventions. In 1873 he served a term as a member of the city council, but was never a candidate for any other office. He long served the public as a member of the board of health until his resignation in 1902, nineteen years, during which time the most valuable improvements and reforms in the work of the board were inaugurated and established.

Mr. Schaeffer has always been prominently identified with the public interests and institutions of the city and county. In 1873 he drew the charter of the first passenger railway built in the city of Reading, organized the company, and has been connected with the city railway interests as attorney and director during all the subsequent developments of the system. Since 1869 he has been the counsel for the National Union Bank of Reading, one of the leading financial institutions of the city, became a director in 1874, and vice-president in 1898. Since March, 1900, Mr. Schaeffer has been president of this institution.

During all his legal and business career Mr. Schaeffer has at various times contributed articles to the educational and legal magazines, and other publications of the city, county and State, which gave him reputation as a writer, and in the years when the Reading Eagle was laying the foundations of its future prosperity, his contributions to its columns were highly appreciated. In connection with his banking interests, Mr. Schaeffer is also a director of the Reading Trust Company, the Reading Gas Company, the Reading City Passenger Railway Company, and also of many other corporations. He is also president of the West Reading Water Company. He is an active member of the well-known Berks County Historical Society, while his war record entitles him to his connection with Keim Post. No. 76, G. A. R. Since 1860 Mr. Schaeffer has been a member of Trinity Lutheran Church, in the vestry of which he served a number of years as elder, and to which his family also adhere.

In 1867 Charles H. Schaeffer and Amelia M. McKnight were united in marriage. Mrs. Schaeffer is a member of one of the old and prominent families of the county. Four sons were born to Mr. and Mrs. Schaeffer, all of whom are engaged in business in Reading and Philadelphia, the youngest, E. Carroll, being a member of the Berks county Bar.

In every walk of life, indeed, Mr. Schaeffer has made an impress for good. Of profound legal mind, scholarly and liberal-minded, his influence has been felt not only in the material upbuilding of Reading, but in the development of the moral, religious and educational movements in the community in which he has for so long been so prominent a figure.


SCHAEFFER, CHARLES P.


p. 1298 Surnames: SCHAEFFER, DELONG, STRAUSE, KLINE, BERIE, ROW, KISTLER, STEIN

Charles P. Schaeffer, a prominent citizen of Womelsdorf, Berks county, cashier of the Womelsdorf Union Bank, was born Aug. 3, 1874, in Snyder County, Pa., son of George K. and Elizabeth (DeLong) Schaeffer.

Jacob Schaeffer, his grandfather, was a native of Berks county, and was a young man when he removed with his parents to Snyder county, where he engaged in farming near Freeburg. Later the family removed to Shamokin Dam, Pa., and there Jacob Schaeffer died at the age of sixty-two years, his wife living to the remarkable age of ninety-four. They had six children: Benjamin, a resident of Freeburg; John, of Shamokin Dam; Sarah, who married Elias Strause; Lydia, who married Peter Berie; George K., father of Charles P.; and Susan who married George Kline.

George K. Schaeffer was born Oct. 26, 1852, and has spent all his life in agricultural pursuits, now residing on his farm at Shamokin Dam. He married Elizabeth DeLong, born Sept. 24, 1852, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Row) DeLong, the latter descendants of old French Huguenot families of Lancaster county. Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Schaffer, namely; Charles P.; Bert H., a farmer of Union county; Jacob P., M.D., of East Greenville, Montgomery county; Allen J., assistant principal of the schools at Nazareth; and George and Helen, at home.

Charles P. Schaeffer was educated in the public schools and the Keystone State Normal School, at Kutztown, from which institution he graduated. He had had five years experience as a teacher before his graduation. In 1898 he came to Womelsdorf as principal, and continued in that capacity for five years. On the incorporation of the Womelsdorf Union Bank Mr. Schaeffer was elected cashier thereof, a position he has ably filled to the present time. He is a member of Golden Rule Lodge, No. 159, I. O. O. F., and Williamson Lodge, No. 307, F. & A. M. He and his family attend the Reformed Church.

On July 22, 1898, Mr. Schaeffer was married to Miss Annie Stein, daughter of William B. and Emma (Kistler) Stein, and three children have been born to this union: Orpha, Helen and Max.


SCHAEFFER, DANIEL E. (REV.)

p. 816

Surnames: SCHAEFFER, PETER, REIB, FETEROLF, ROTHERMEL, FETERHOLF, DELONG, YODER, MERKEL, SELL, BARNDT, STEIN, STEINMETZ, BROWN, KIEFFER

Rev. Daniel E. Schaeffer, a minister of the Reformed faith, residing at West Leesport, Pa., who in addition to his ministerial relations has been prominently identified with the educational and public life of the borough, is a member of one of the oldest families of Berks county, and was born Oct. 26, 1872, near Fleetwood, Richmond township, son of John S. and Magdalena (Peter) Schaeffer.

George Schaeffer, a native of the Rhine Valley, Germany, was the progenitor of this old and honored family. He crossed the ocean on the ship "Edinburgh" which qualified at Philadelphia Aug. 13, 1750, and it appears that soon after coming to this country he settled in Richmond township, Berks county, where he obtained a warrant for a tract of land. When the Revolutionary war broke out this pioneer became a captain of a company that fought for the freedom of the Colonies, and he died at an advanced age in 1791. His wife was a born Reib, and they had five children: Elizabeth, Margaret, Maria, Peter and Philip. The last named, Philip, remained on the homestead in Richmond township, which tract is still in the family name, being one of the best farms in Berks county.

Philip Schaeffer, great-grandfather of Rev. Daniel E., was born on the homestead in 1770, and became an agriculturist. He was also an inventor of ability and manufactured the first threshing machine in Berks county, this proving so successful that he continued to make these machines throughout the remainder of his life. His wife was Elizabeth Feterolf, who was a granddaughter of Peter and Anna Maria (Rothermel) Feterholf of Wachbach, Germany, and they had these children: George, Peter, Isaac, Jonathan, Daniel, William, Philip, David, Sarah (m. Jacob DeLong), Elizabeth (m. Solomon Yoder), Anna M. (m. Isaac Merkel), and Esther (m. Francis DeLong).

Daniel Schaeffer, grandfather of Rev. Daniel E., was born and reared on the old Schaeffer stand in Richmond township, and was a farmer throughout his active period. Some years before his death he retired to Fleetwood, where his wife died. She was Margaret Sell, of Maxatawny township, and they had these nine children: John S., George, William, Philip, David, Daniel, Mary, Caroline and Nathan.

John S. Schaeffer, father of Rev. Daniel E., was born Sept. 7, 1838, on the homestead farm, and worked for his parents until after his marriage, at which time he took charge of his present farm, reputed to be one of the best in Berks county, having handsome, substantial buildings, good water and fine stock and farm machinery, and being well located and convenient to railroads. On Nov. 15, 1863, Mr. Schaeffer was married to Magdalena Peter, born April 30, 1842, daughter of Joseph and Mary (Barndt) Peter, and they have these three children: Mary Emma; Rev. Charles E., pastor of St. Mark's Reformed Church, of Reading; and Rev. Daniel E.

Rev. Daniel E. Schaeffer was reared on his father's farm and his early educational training was secured in the public schools of his district. He then entered the Keystone Sate Normal School and prepared for college, entering Franklin and Marshall in the fall of 1892 and being graduated therefrom in June, 1895. He then entered the Theological Seminary of the Reformed Church of the United States at Lancaster, and was graduated in 1898. On July 24th of the same year he was ordained at Gernant's Church in Ontelaunee township, by Dr. J. P. Stein, D. D., Dr. J. W. Steinmetz, D. D., and Rev. James R. Brown, and was assigned to the Leesport charge, which consists of Gernant's Church, Leesport, Mohrsville and Shoemakersville. Rev. Schaeffer is very popular with his congregations, and is one of the best known divines in Berks county. He is greatly interested in educational work, and at present serves as secretary of the board of education of West Leesport, also having been one of the first directors of West Leesport, whose separate government he assisted in securing in 1902. In political matters he is a Democrat. He has been a member of the Reformed Ministerial Association of Reading since his ordination.

In 1895 the Rev. Mr. Schaeffer married Miss Annie Schaeffer, daughter of Frank and Andora (Kieffer) Schaeffer, of Fleetwood, Pa. To this union there have been born five children namely: Mabel F., Helen M., Charles R., Frank E., and Emily M.


SCHAEFFER, DAVID Y.

p. 1447

Surnames: SCHAEFFER, YODER, DOTTERER

David Y. Schaeffer, now engaged in the cultivation of his fifty-acre tract in Engelsville, Colebrookdale township, Berks county, was born on his grandfather Yoder's homestead near Pleasantville, in Oley township, June 10, 1870, son of Nathan and Catherine (Yoder) Schaeffer. He was a lad of ten years when his father died, and he grew to manhood on the farm, assisting his mother until he was twenty-one years of age. He attended the public schools of Oley township, and later Friedensburg Seminary. For eight years after his marriage he farmed for his mother, and in the spring of 1901 he located at his present place, where he has made many improvements, including a fine addition to the house in 1905. Besides farming, Mr. Schaeffer goes out threshing in his district.

On Nov. 15, 1893, Mr. Schaeffer was married to Katie Dotterer, daughter of William Dotterer, and they have seven children Namely: Mabel, Ella, William, Edna, Minnie, Oscar and Florence.


SCHAEFFER, D. NICHOLAS

p. 537

Surnames: SCHAEFFER, CHRIST, DELONG, YODER, MERKLE, BAER, GRIM

D. Nicholas Schaeffer, one of the leading representatives of the legal fraternity in Berks county, Pa., and a resident of the city of Reading, was born Sept. 10, 1853, in Maxatawny township, Berks county, son of David and Esther (Christ) Schaeffer.

His paternal great-grandfather was George Schaeffer, a native of Southern Germany, north of the Rhine, who, in 1750, with 30,000 other inhabitants of that county located in Pennsylvania. He settled upon a tract of land in Richmond township, which is now owned by his descendants, and there reared a family of five children, two sons and three daughters. This sturdy old pioneer passed to his eternal reward in 1792, after a long and useful life.

Philip Schaeffer, grandfather of D. Nicholas, was born on the old homestead farm in 1770, and became an agriculturist. He manufactured the first threshing machine in Berks county, and met with such success as to warrant him to continue in that line of work the remainder of his life. He was the progenitor of a family of twelve children: George; Peter; Isaac; Jonathan; Daniel; Philip; William; David; Sarah m. Jacob De Long; Elizabeth m. Solomon Yoder; Anna M. m. Isaac Merkle; and Esther m. Francis De Long. In politics he was a Democrat, while in religious attachments he was a member of the Reformed Church. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, our second great conflict with Great Britain, and acquitted himself with credit. Mrs. Schaeffer died in 1849, and her husband, in January 1853, at the advanced age of eighty-three years.

David Schaeffer, the father of D. Nicholas, was born in Berks county, Oct. 3, 1820, and engaged in tilling the soil, after obtaining a good education in the common schools. He was deeply interested in the educational advancement of his community, and was one of the charter members of the Keystone State Normal School of Kutztown, of which he is still a trustee. In May 1848, he married Esther Christ, who was born in Greenwich township, Berks county, in l825. Five children blessed this union, and each was given the best educational advantages, and is now a credit to the community in which he lives. The record is as follows: Nathan is Superintendent of Public Instruction of the State of Pennsylvania; William D. is a Professor in the Theological Seminary of the Reformed Church at Lancaster, Pa.; D. Nicholas; James is engaged in farming; and Charles is a physician of Allentown.

D. Nicholas Schaeffer, after completing the required course in the common schools, attended Franklin & Marshall College, at Lancaster, graduating there from in the class of 1876. Immediately thereafter he began reading law under the tutelage of George F. Baer of Reading, and was admitted to the Bar in 1878. He then opened a law office in the city of Reading, and soon acquired a large and lucrative practice, which is still his in a much augmented state. He is a man of great determination and shrewdness, and having once entered upon a case he works with might and main, and usually with good results. He is a dutiful citizen and a good neighbor, being held in high esteem by a large number of friends and fellow citizens.

Mr. Schaeffer married, Nov. 11, 1880, Katherine Grim, daughter of Jonathan K Grim, and three bright and interesting children blessed their union, namely: Forest G., Paul N. and Harry H. In politics he is a stanch supporter of the principles of the Democratic party, and in religious affiliation a member of the Reformed Church of Reading, of which he is an elder.


SCHAEFFER, HARRY DRY

p. 404

Surnames: SCHAEFFER, KEMP, DRY, WANNER, KELCHNER, BLEILER, DUMN. KUTZ

Harry Dry Schaeffer, district attorney of Berks county, was born Nov. 14, 1873, on the old Dry homestead in Rockland township, Berks county, and belongs to a family which has been identified with the affairs of that county for several generations. His grandfather, Jonathan Schaeffer, was a well-to-do farmer of Richmond township.

George B. Schaeffer, father of Harry Dry Schaeffer, was long engaged in the coal, lumber and iron ore business in Fleetwood, this county. After serving some time as deputy sheriff, under Sheriff Kemp, he was elected to the office of sheriff, in which he served with fidelity some three years, from 1887 until 1890. He is now living retired in Reading. He married Mary A. Dry, daughter of Benjamin E. Dry, formerly of Rockland township, this county. Mr. Dry died about two years ago, at the age of eighty-seven, while living in the City of Reading. The Drys are remarkable for their longevity, and Mr. Drys sister, who was buried in September, 1905, reached the advanced age of ninety-six years. Mr. Dry was a merchant at Dryville, Rockland township, which was named after him, and lived a most useful and active life, having served his country in the Legislature and as register of wills, and was justice of the peace of Rockland township for over twenty-five years. Mr. and Mrs. George B. Schaeffer had a family of eight children as follows: Wester and Llewellyn, coal and lumber dealers at Fleetwood, doing business under the firm name of Schaeffer, Wanner & Co. ; Warren, at school ; Kate and Sue, at home ; Minnie, m. to Dr. Fred Kelchner, of Philadelphia ; Rosa, wife of Dr. George S. Bleiler ; and Harry Dry.

Harry D. Schaeffer attended the public schools of Fleetwood and later the Keystone State Normal School, at Kutztown, where he was graduated in 1891. He then took a course at Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pa., and was graduated in 1895. Mr. Shaeffer matriculated at the University of Pennsylvania as a law student, and after a year at that institution began reading law in the office of D. Nicholas Schaeffer. He was admitted to the Bar in 1899, since which time he has been engaged in the active practice of his profession in Reading. Under the firm name of Dumn & Schaeffer, he formed a partnership with Harry J. Dumn, former clerk of Quarter Sessions. Mr. Schaeffer was appointed assistant district attorney in January, 1905, and served in that capacity for three years under District Attorney Kutz. In 1907 he was elected as district attorney and is filling that office at present.

On April 17, 1901, Mr. Schaeffer was married to Miss Annie R. Wanner, daughter of the late Louis A. Wanner, who was a member of the firm Schaeffer, Wanner & Co., of Fleetwood. One son, George Wanner Schaeffer, has come to cheer their home. Mr. Schaeffer is a member of the Masons fraternity, belonging to Kutztown Lodge, No. 377. He also belongs to the Reformed Church.


SCHAEFFER, JACOB

p. 1558 Surnames: SCHAEFFER, LEVAN, FOCHT, KNAPP, HARTMAN, SAYLOR, KNABB, MOYER

Jacob Schaeffer, who died Aug. 16, 1871, aged thirty years, eight months, twenty-eight days, was for some time a prominent agriculturist of Exeter township, Berks county. He was born on the old Schaeffer homestead Nov. 18, 1840, son of Brig.-Gen. Henry and Anna (Levan) Schaeffer.

The founder of this family in America was Christian Schaeffer, grandfather of Jacob, who came to America at the age of fifteen with the Hessian troops during the Revolution. He located in Exeter township, and by enterprise and economy became the owner of three farms- one in Exeter (still known as the "Capt. Schaeffer farm"), one in Oley, and one at Boyertown, the last named being largely cut up into building lots. To Christian Schaeffer and his wife, Anna, were born many children, among whom were: John, born at Philadelphia Feb. 28, 1788, had a son Jeremiah (born Nov. 12, 1818, died April 27, 1880, leaving an only son) ; Christian (born Dec. 6, 1799, died Jan. 31, 1863) m. Mary Focht (born Jan. 18, 1809, died July 31, 1884) and both are buried at Schwartzwald Church ; Henry ; Hannah, Mrs. Knapp ; and Mrs. Hartman.

Henry Schaeffer, father of Jacob, was born April 12, 1802, near Boyertown, Pa., and was educated in the common schools of his native township. In early life he engaged in agricultural pursuits, and was also an extensive dealer in cattle, becoming one of the substantial men of his day. Although a stanch Democrat, and a leader in the ranks of his party, he was a very strong Union man, and helped to organize troops in the State Militia, being a captain of Berks and Lehigh county troops, and was promoted to the rank of brigadier general. He was an able military officer, strict disciplinarian and of commanding appearance. He had a loud, authoritative voice which could be heard a half a mile away. He died Dec. 15, 1860, and was buried in Schwartzwald cemetery. Harry Schaeffer married Anna Levan, born April 15, 1814, died Feb. 10, 1870, and of the children born to them, five grew to maturity: Catherine, m. to Samuel Saylor ; Mary, (1838-1864) m. to Levi Hartman ; Elizabeth, m. to Franklin Saylor ; Henry L. (1846-1861) ; and Jacob. In religious belief the family were members of the Reformed Church.

Jacob Schaeffer was educated in the schools of Exeter township, and until within two years of his death was engaged in farming. He married Emeline W. Knabb, and to this union were born three children : Anna, Sarah and Elizabeth. Misses Anna and Sarah Schaeffer reside at No. 225 South Sixteenth street, Reading. They are prominent members of St. Andrew's Reformed Church, and are leaders in the work of that denomination.

Christian Schaeffer, son of Christian the emigrant, born 1799, died 1863. To him and his wife, Mary Focht (1809-1884) were born : Samuel (1828-1890) m. Sarah E. Levan (1834-1893), and among their children were John, Mary, Hannah, Malinda, Jacob, Henry, George, Nathan and Samuel ; George C. F. (1831-1868) m. Maria Moyer (daughter of Gottlieb and Maria Moyer), and had two children, William and Emma.


SCHAEFFER, JAMES

p. 801

Surnames: SCHAEFFER, CHRIST, BIEBER, BORTZ, WETZEL, RUPPERT, WELDER, HERTZ, MERKEL

James Schaeffer, trustee of the Normal School, is a well-known citizen and prosperous farmer of Maxatawny township, residing on the old Schaeffer homestead where he was born June 26, 1856. He is one of a family of unusual note born to his parents, the late David and Esther Ann (Christ) Schaeffer.

The late David Schaeffer was one of the foremost men of upper Berks county. He was born in Richmond township, in 1820, and died in 1902, aged eighty-one years. He was one of the organizers of the Keystone State Normal School, and was an honored trustee from then on until the time of his death. He was a man of progress, and was a firm believer in education, not only giving his own children the best of opportunities but largely advancing the educational advantages of his whole section. Each of his five sons became men of culture, and four of them are graduates of Franklin and Marshall College, namely: Rev. Dr. Nathan C. since 1893 has been State Superintendent of Public Instruction for Pennsylvania; Rev. Dr. William C. is teacher of Theology at the Reformed Seminary, Lancaster; D. Nicholas is a leading attorney at Reading; Dr. Charles D. is a prominent physician and an ex-mayor of Allentown, Pa.; while James is the agriculturist of the family.

David Schaeffer followed farming all his life, and he purchased the farm now owned by his son James, in 1849, during his lifetime greatly improving it, and the improving has been continued until it ranks with the best in upper Berks county. David Schaeffer, on account of his excellent judgment, was a successful man in all his undertakings and he acquired a large estate. At the time of his death he owned the property at No. 526 Washington street, Reading, the farm of his son James, and a farm of 120 acres situated in Bern township, which is the property of Dr. Nathan C. Schaeffer. He was a consistent member of the Reformed faith and was an official of St. John's Reformed Church at Kutztown, which he liberally supported. His burial was in the cemetery connected with this church. In May, 1848, he married Esther Ann Christ, daughter of Solomon and Elizabeth (Bieber) Christ. She died in February, 1903, aged seventy-seven years, surviving her husband but eight months. They left many mourning friends who had been attached to them for many years, and they were honored and respected by all who knew them.

James Schaeffer secured a district school education and later entered the Keystone State Normal School which he left in his senior year in order to engage in agricultural pursuits. His tastes lay in this direction, and he preferred the free and independent life of a farmer rather than a professional one as did his brothers. He has followed farming since 1880, and has owned the Schaeffer homestead of 160 acres of some of the finest land in Berks county since the death of his father. It is favorably located in the center of the large and fertile area of Maxatawny township. Mr. Schaeffer keeps eight head of horses and twenty head of cattle. He is an enterprising and progressive farmer, and makes use of all kinds of improved machinery. This beautifully situated farm is very level and from the homestead its whole extent, with the exception of one field, can be brought under the eye at one time. Its fertile soil makes it excellent wheat land.

On Dec. 15, 1878, Mr. Schaeffer married Rosa Bortz, daughter of Jonas and Thelena (Wetzel) Bortz, farming people of this township, and they have the following children: Rev. David I., stationed at Dayton, Pa., who is the historian of the Schaeffer family at the triennial reunions, married Anna Ruppert and they have one daughter, Ethel; Hettie m. George Welder, of Maxatawny township, and has one daughter, Rosa; Annie, a trained nurse, who had her home with her uncle, Dr. C. D. Schaeffer, at Allentown, m. Dr. William J. Hertz of Allentown; Katie m. Daniel Merkel of Richmond township; William H., who is a graduate of the dental department of the University of Pennsylvania, is engaged in practice in Allentown; Ella I., resides at home; and George J. is a student in the Normal School. All of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Schaeffer have been liberally educated and William and Annie are graduates of the Keystone State Normal School and David of Franklin and Marshall College.

In his political views, Mr. Schaeffer is a Democrat. Since the death of his father, he has been a trustee of the State Normal School, the former having officiated in that office since the organization of the school. With his family Mr. Schaeffer belongs to St. John's Reformed Church at Kutztown, in which he has been a deacon for many years, and since 1900 one of the elders. He has always been an active church worker, and in his younger years took much interest in the Sunday-school. He is one of the representative men of this section.


SCHAEFFER, JAMES D.

p. 1173

Surnames: SCHAEFFER, BIEBER, CHRISTMAN, FETHEROLF, DELONG, YODER, MERKEL, DONMOYER, RICHSTEIN, SCHLEGEL, ANGSTADT, ADAM, BOYER

James D. Schaeffer, the well known veterinary surgeon, has been a resident of Fleetwood since 1868, and resides in a large brick residence on Main street. Mr. Schaeffer was born Sept. 7, 1835, in Richmond township, near Fleetwood.

George Schaeffer, great-grandfather of James D., was the American ancestor of this family, emigrating from Southern Germany, and in 1750 was a landowner, his tract in Richmond township still being in the possession of the family. It is evident that he made a wise selection as to his location, as the Schaeffer farms are of the best in the county. Mr. Schaeffer reared five children: Elizabeth, m. to John Bieber; Margaret, m. to Dewalt Bieber; Maria, m. to Michael Christman; Peter and Philip.

Philip Schaeffer was an extensive landowner and early settler of Richmond township, where he later presented each of his children with a farm. He married Elizabeth Fetherolf, and they were the parents of these children: George, the father of James D.; Peter; Isaac; Philip; Daniel; Jonathan; William; David; Sally, m. to Joseph DeLong; Elizabeth, m. to Solomon Yoder; Hettie, m. to Frank DeLong; and Annie, m. to Isaac Merkel.

George Schaeffer, was a prosperous farmer of Richmond township, and owned a most fertile tract, consisting of 152 acres, now owned by his grandson, Franklin M. George Schaeffer m. (first) Hettie Merkel, deceased, daughter of Daniel Merkel, and to this union were born: Nathan, Catherine, Elizabeth, Levi and Daniel. He m. (second) Hannah Donmoyer, daughter of Benjamin and Marguerite (Richstein) Donmoyer of Longswamp township, and these children were born to them: James D.; Hettie, who died at the age of five years; and George D., who served as deputy sheriff of Berks county for fifteen years.

James D. Schaeffer resided on the farm on which he was born until thirty years of age, when he located in Fleetwood. His early education was obtained in the schools of his native place, later attending the Boyertown high school, and in 1855-56 he attended a school of advanced learning at the Trappe, Montgomery county. Upon leaving school he returned to his father's farm, where he worked until his marriage, Dec. 25, 1866, to Miss Emma Schlegel, daughter of Jacob and Esther (Angstadt) Schlegel, of Richmond township, and the children born to this union were: Milton S., a carpenter of Fleetwood; Levi S., a machinist; Katie, m. to Edwin M. Adam, a carpenter of Reading, Pa.; Harriet, m. to Howard H. Boyer, a carpenter of Fleetwood; Miss Maria S., who graduated from the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown with the class of 1902, and is now teaching the advanced primary school at Southeast Allentown, Pa.; Sallie S., who is single and resides with her parents; and Franklin B., a machinist of Reading.

After marriage James D. Schaeffer located in Fleetwood, and engaged in a butcher business, which he followed for a number of years. Retiring from that business he formed a partnership with Adam B. Schaeffer, under the name of A. B. & J. D. Schaeffer, and for twelve years the firm engaged successfully in dealing in live stock, handling thousands of horses and cattle. The records show that in one year they bought and sold more than 3,000 horses and cattle. Mr. James D. Schaeffer did the buying for the firm, making many trips for that purpose into Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa and Wisconsin, and shipping them to Fleetwood, where his partner disposed of them. The firm had many customers in Pennsylvania, as well as a large trade in New York. After a thorough preparation, in 1889 Mr. James D. Schaeffer was licensed a Doctor of Veterinary Surgery, and this profession he has followed to the present time.

In political matters Mr. Schaeffer is a stanch Democrat. On numerous occasions he has been honored by his fellow citizens by election to public office, having served the town as school director for two terms, and councilman for a period of ten years. He is well and prominently known in business circles, having been a member and treasurer of the Board of Trade for the past ten years. He and his family attend St. Paul's Reformed Church of Fleetwood, of which Mr. Schaeffer is an official member and stanch supporter. Although past seventy-four years of age, Mr. Schaeffer is still very alert and active; time has touched him lightly. Possessed of a sufficient competency, of many friends, and of a loving family, Mr. Schaeffer, in the sunset of his life, is enjoying the fruit of his early labors. He is a representative man of Fleetwood.


SHAEFFER, JOEL B.

p. 893

Surnames: SHAEFFER, SHAPPELL, MERKEL, KELCHNER

Joel B. Schaeffer, the well-known creamery man of Moselem Springs, Richmond township, is a son of Henry S. Schaeffer of Moselem. He was born March 20, 1864, and worked on the farm from his youth until his seventeenth year, when he learned the trade of shoemaker, which he followed for two and one-half years, serving an apprenticeship of two years. In 1884 Mr. Schaeffer was engaged as clerk for Librant & McDowell, iron manufacturers at Moselem, Richmond township. Two years later this firm changed hands, Sheble & Stillwagon being the new proprietors, with whom Mr. Schaeffer continued for another year, when he connected himself with Melot & Schaeffer, in whose employ he remained one year, his next employers being Kelchner & Co. With this firm he spent two years. He then went to Wernersville, being employed as clerk in the store of H. Shappell. Here he continued five years. At the end of this time Mr. Schaeffer purchased twenty-six acres of some of the best soil in Richmond township, near Moselem Springs, and here he has since resided. In connection with his farm work, he has conducted the creamery at Moselem Springs for three years. His farm is in an excellent state of cultivation.

Mr. Schaeffer is a strong Democrat, and for seven years served the township as supervisor; he is now serving a three-year term as township assessor.

In 1885 Mr. Schaeffer married Miss Emma L. Merkel, the respected daughter of James and Mary (Kelchner) Merkel of Richmond township, and their family consists of children as follows: Lloyd M. and Henry M., graduates of the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown; Solon, who died aged two years; Mary F.; Flora M.; Ella M.; Mabel M.; Emily M., and Elmer M. Mr. Schaeffer is a member of the Lutheran congregation of the Moselem Church, in Richmond township. Mr. Schaeffer is domestic in his tastes, and finds his greatest joy and contentment at home with his family. He is conservative, reliable and a good and useful citizen, his reputation being the best. He is now in the prime of life, having started right, and being possessed of those qualities which insure success in life.


SCHAEFFER, JOEL M.

p. 707

Surnames: SCHAEFFER, FETHEROLF, DELONG, YODER, MERKEL, DE LONG, SHERADIN, KELCHNER, DEBURK, HEIBINE, RAHN, WANNER, KAUFFMAN, SHEIRER

Joel M. Schaeffer, a retired business man of Fleetwood, residing in a handsome home on Richmond street, was born March 8, 1846, in Richmond township, and has all his life been identified with that section of Berks county.

When the good ship "Edinburgh" arrived at Philadelphia, on Aug. 13, 1750, it had among its passengers one Georg Schaeffer, who came from the Rhine valley, in Germany, and was the first of his family to settle in America. Proceeding to Berks county, he established himself on a farm in Richmond township, and there spent the rest of his life. His children were: Elizabeth, Margaret, Maria, Peter and Philip.

Philip Schaeffer, son of Georg, was born in 1770, on the old homestead in Richmond township. He was a very successful farmer and remained on the old homestead. He made the first threshing machine in Berks county. This proved a great labor saver, and he continued in the manufacture of threshing machines during the remaining years of his life. He married Elizabeth Fetherolf, who bore him eight sons and four daughters, namely: George; Peter; Isaac; Jonathan; Daniel; Philip; William; David; Sarah (m. Jacob DeLong); Elizabeth (m. Solomon Yoder); Anna Maria (m. Isaac Merkel); and Esther (m. Francis De Long). As each child became of age he or she was presented with a farm. The children were all of unusually fine physique, tall and strong, and finely proportioned.

Philip Schaeffer, Jr., son of Philip and father of Joel M., was a life-long farmer in Richmond township, and one whose efforts were richly rewarded. A man of unassuming demeanor and upright character, his most vital interest was his family, to whom he was devoted. He was a member of the Reformed Church of Fleetwood, and in politics was, like all of his name, a Democrat. He married Esther, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Sheradin) Merkel. The Merkels are a family of German origin founded in Pennsylvania by Georg, whose son Caspar was the father of Jacob. Philip and Esther Schaeffer became the parents of seven children, viz.: Levina, Mrs. Samuel Kelchner, of Fleetwood; Hettie, Mrs. Isaac Deburk, of Kutztown; Elizabeth, who died aged seven; James, who married Susan Heibine, of Moselem Springs, Pa.; Joel M.; Maria, Mrs. Martin Kelchner, of Fleetwood; and Martin, who married Susanna Rahn of Fleetwood.

Joel M. Schaeffer spent his boyhood and youth on his father's farm attending the local schools. This was supplemented by a course in a school at Collegeville, Montgomery county. At the age of twenty-four he married and his father gave him a farm near his own and for five years the young man followed agricultural pursuits. But in the spring of 1876 he sold out his farm stock and entered upon a partnership with Lewis Wanner that lasted until 1903. This firm, Schaeffer, Wanner & Co., dealt in grain, coal and lumber, and built up an extensive business. In 1885 they reorganized with one new member in the firm, and built a rolling mill with a capacity of seventy-five barrels a day. They manufactured the White Rose and Silver Cloud flour, which are more generally used in eastern Pennsylvania than the product of any other mill in that section, while there is also an active demand in the western part of New Jersey. In 1903 Mr. Schaeffer sold out his interest in the firm to his son-in-law John N. Kauffman. In 1909 Mr. Schaeffer bought the old Dumn mill property at the west end of the borough of Fleetwood, and formed a partnership with his son-in-law, John N. Kauffman, and his son, Walter P. Schaeffer, the firm being known as Kauffman & Schaeffer.

In political views, Mr. Schaeffer has somewhat departed from family tradition and maintains an independent stand, but he has always been decidedly active in local affairs, while for six years he served in the town council. He is also prominent in the Emmanuel United Evangelical Church, in which both he and his wife do much work. When the present building was erected in 1884 he was a member of the building committee and his plans and suggestions were heartily approved by the others of the committee. For nine years he has been treasurer of the Sunday-school and is now class leader and teacher of the German class. His wife is equally prominent in the women's departments, belonging to the Ladies' Aid and Missionary societies, and to the W. C. T. U. Both are highly esteemed for their upright and Christian lives.

Mrs. Schaeffer was Miss Caroline Catherine Kelchner, and was married to Mr. Schaeffer Nov. 17, 1870. She was a daughter of Jacob and Ann (Sheirer) Kelchner, and granddaughter of Jacob Kelchner, Sr. To her husband she has borne one daughter and one son, namely: Anna Vanilla, who was educated at Schuylkill Seminary, Frederick, Md., m. in 1894, John N. Kauffman, and has two children, Joel Schaeffer and Kathryn Willi; and Walter Philip, who was educated in the local schools and in Albright College, Myerstown, Pa., where he took the English-Scientific course, and who has also done much in voice culture and is a vocalist and musician of note. He is now a member of the firm of Kauffman & Schaeffer, miller and coal dealers, at Fleetwood.


SCHAEFFER, JOHN E.

p. 1456

Surnames: SCHAEFFER, SELL, LEIBELSPERGER, KIEFFER, RAHN

John E. Schaeffer, on the Easton road in Maxatawny township, was born in Richmond township, Berks county, Aug. 2, 1867, son of George S. Schaeffer, and grandson of Daniel Schaeffer.

Daniel Schaeffer was a farmer on the original Schaeffer homestead until his retirement. He prospered in his endeavors, and became very well-to-do. His wife was a member of the Sell family. Their children were: John, George S., Daniel, Philip, Nathan, David, Mary and Caroline, the three last named all being deceased.

George S. Schaeffer, son of Daniel, was born on his father's farm in February, 1840. In his earlier life for several years he was a merchant in Fleetwood, and then began farming on the homestead, which he now owns. It consists of 102 acres of the best land in the county. In 1902 he retired from active work and located in Fleetwood, his son David L. now cultivating the farm. Mr. Schaeffer was school director for a number of years, and is much interested in educational affairs. He married Catharine Leibelsperger, sister of Joel Leibelsperger (mentioned elsewhere), and they had children as follows: Emma, who died aged twenty-one years; John E.; Hannah, who died young; Kate, m. to William Kieffer, of Richmond township; Hettie, m. to Charles Rahn, of Richmond township; Amanda, who died young; David, who farms the homestead; and Robert, a student in the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia.

John E. Schaeffer received his preliminary education in the common schools of his native township, and then attended the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown for four terms. Under his father he learned all the duties pertaining to farming, and worked for him until he attained his majority. In 1888 he entered the general store of Joel Leibelsperger, at Moselem Springs, where he clerked for fourteen months, applying himself to learn the principles of commercialism. He then clerked for Kutz brothers at Fleetwood for two years. He was next associated with N. S. Schaeffer under the firm name of N. S. Schaeffer & Co., and this partnership continued successfully for two years. John Schaeffer then retired and returned to farming, being induced to seek open air employment by ill health. He cultivated the homestead farm for two years. In the spring in 1896 he purchased the Charles Rahn estate, the farm consisting of 102 acres of valuable land, and to this he has since devoted all his attention. He has five head of horses, and averages about eleven cows. His farm machinery is all of the latest and most approved style, and the entire place shows the owner to be industrious and progressive. In politics he is a Democrat, and has held a number of local offices. He and his family attend St. Paul's Reformed Church at Kutztown.

On June 4, 1892, Mr. Schaeffer was married to Maria Rahn, daughter of Charles. Three children came to bless this union: George and Charles, twins; and Irwin, who died aged six months. Mr. Schaeffer is very highly respected, and has many friends in the county.


SCHAEFFER, NATHAN

p. 1023

Surnames: SCHAEFFER, MERCKEL, YODER, NEIN, HAFER, GRIESEMER

Nathan Schaeffer, for many years one of the substantial men of Oley township, was born July 19, 1829, son of Georg and Esther (Merckel) Schaeffer, of Richmond, and died upon his farm near Pleasantville, Sept. 17, 1880, aged fifty-one years, one month and twenty-eight days, and his remains are interred at Oley churches.

Residing in Maxatawny township on the farm where he was born until he attained his majority, Mr. Schaeffer later removed to Fleetwood, and thence, in 1865, to Oley township, where for eight years he farmed for his father-in-law, David Yoder. He then bought the George Yoder farm near Pleasantville, consisting of 100 acres, as good as can be found in the township. The house on this property antedates the Revolution, and was erected by a Yoder, being a very fine sample of the excellent work of those days. The barn was built by Mrs. Schaeffer in 1890, and is a commodious and modern one.

In 1860 Mr. Schaeffer married Catharine Yoder, daughter of David Yoder, of Oley township, and four children were born to them: Hannah m. David Nein, of Mount Penn; Mary m. James Hafer, a farmer of Oley township; David is a farmer residing near Engelsville; Annie m. Casper C. K. Griesemer, who farms Mrs. Schaeffer's property, and they have had five children, Leroy, Nathan (who died at the age of two years, five months and seven days), Clarence, and two infants.

Mrs. Schaeffer is a charming woman, well educated in both English and German, and speaking both languages fluently. She is an excellent business woman and since her husband's death has managed he own affairs. Pleasant in manner, intelligent and possessed of a delightful personality, Mrs. Schaeffer has many warm personal friends and is much beloved in her own family. The Schaeffer family is an old one and is counted among the representative names of Berks county.


SCHAEFFER, NATHAN C. (DR.)

p. 356

Surnames: SCHAEFFER, BRUMBAUGH, CHRIST, BIEBER, AHLUM, HUFF

Dr. Nathan C. Schaeffer, State Superintendent of Public Instruction, was born Feb. 3, 1849, in Maxatawny township, Berks county. He was educated in Maxatawny Seminary (now Keystone State Normal School) , Franklin and Marshall College at Lancaster, Theological Seminary at Mercersburg, and in the Universities of Berlin, Tubingen and Leipsic. He then taught in Mercersburg College, and Franklin and Marshall College, and for sixteen years was principal of the Keystone State Normal School at Kutztown. In 1905 he was elected President of the National Educational Association at Asbury Park, N. J. He has served the following prominent positions: President of the Pennsylvania State Teacher's Association : secretary of the National Council of Education ; president of the Department of Superintendence of the National Association ; president of the Pennsylvania German Society ; Chancellor of the Pennsylvania Chautauqua at Mt. Gretna from 1901 to 1905 ; member of the Pennsylvania Commission on Industrial Education ; and editor of the Pennsylvania School Journal, since 1893. He is editor of a volume of bible Readings for schools; author of "Thinking and Learning to Think," and of "History of Education in Pennsylvania," contained in three volumes of "History of the State," published by the Mason Publishing Company at Syracuse, N. y. He was commissioned State Superintendent of Public Instruction on June 1, 1893, and re-commissioned in 1897, 1901, and 1905. He served as lecturer on Pedagogy in the Graduate Department of the University of Pennsylvania during the absence of Dr. Brumbaugh, while serving as Commissioner of Education in Porto Rico (1900-1901).

Dr. Schaeffer is a son of David Schaeffer, of Maxatawny township, and Esther Ann Christ, his wife (daughter of Solomon Christ and Elizabeth Bieber, his wife, of the same township). He married Annie Ahlum, of Quakertown, Pa., and they have seven children : Clarabelle, Helen (m. Prof. Huff) , John, Frederick (teaching at Mercersburg) , Grace, Annie and Mary.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:57:01 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.