Source: Morton Montgomery, p. 314
Surnames: DELONG, LUCKENBILL, GRIM, CROLL
The DeLong family of Berks county was founded here by Peter DeLong, who was a pioneer of the county and a settler in Maxatawny township, near Bowers Station. He was a freeholder of Maxatawny prior to 1745 and his neighbor was Henry Luckenbill. Peter DeLong lived near the present Christ Reformed (DeLong's) church, at the place later owned by Reuben Grim. He died about 1760, and his remains rest at the church named after his descendants. He reared a family of seven children, namely: John, Henry, Jacob, Michael, Abraham, Barbara and Frederick.
The DeLong family is most numerous in Maxatawny township. It is thrifty and thoroughly representative of the pioneer stock of this region. Its members have been holding reunions since 1900, with interesting proceedings. The sixth meeting was held at Kutztown Park in 1906, and the historical address on this occasion was delivered by Rev. Preston A. DeLong, of Chambersburg. Addresses were also delivered by Rev. William F. DeLong, of Annville, and Richard J. DeLong, of Philadelphia.
At the third reunion Rev. John F. DeLong delivered an able address on the pioneer, who came to Berks county from Ulster county, New York. The officers of the reunion are:
President, Joseph DeLong, Topton, Pa.
Secretary, Irwin DeLong, Topton, Pa.
Treasurer, A. F. DeLong, Kutztown, Pa.
Executive Committee, Dr. W. D. DeLong, James DeLong, Rev. Calvin M. DeLong, Solomon DeLong, Martin S. Croll, Rev. William F. DeLong
Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:58:19 EDT
You may not be able to visit this page because of: