Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

REMP, HENRY E.

p. 1344

Surnames: REMP, ESHELMAN, WHITE, BARLOT, TROSTLE, HARTZ, BLANKENBILLER, ZEIGLER, FRITZ, MATZ, MANIER, MESSNER, MOHN, FITTERLING, STEFFEY

Henry E. Remp, resident in the borough of Mohnton, since 1870, is a native of Berks county, born in Brecknock township, Oct. 31, 1846, son of Richard and Sarah (Eshelman) Remp.

Jacob Remp, the great-grandfather of Henry E., was born May 6, 1756, and died June 6, 1841, after a long and useful life. He was a farmer by occupation, owning the old Remp homestead, on which he and his wife and his son Benjamin and wife are buried. The wife of Jacob Remp, whose Christian name was Catherine, was born Dec. 22, 1753, and died May 31, 1828. Among their children were: Mrs. John White; Eve, who married Daniel Ballot,; Benjamin; and a daughter who died single.

Benjamin Remp, grandfather of Henry E., was born in the old homestead, now the Kissinger farm in Brecknock township, Aug. 30, 1786, and died April 15, 1872. Like his father he was a lifelong farmer, owning the homestead, which consisted of 100 acres, and was a faithful member of the United Brethren Church. Mr. Remp married Barbara Trostle, born Jan. 6, 1786, who died March 15, 1857, and to them were born these children: William; Jacob; Elijah; Richard; Sally, who married Abraham Hartz; Polly, who married Samuel Eshelman; Elizabeth, who married David Blankenbiller; Mrs. Isaac Ziegler; and Candace, who married Henry Fritz.

Richard Remp, the father of Henry E., was born in May, 1824, and died Nov. 25, 1903. He followed agricultural pursuits in Cumru township the major portion of his life, owning a farm of eighty acres, and was know as a man of integrity. A Republican in politic, he always took an interest in public matters, and for three years served efficiently as school director. Mr. Remp was a member of the Mennonite Church at Brecknock, where he was buried. He married Sarah Eshelman, born in Cumru township, who since 1907 has made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Richard Matz, of Mohnton. To Richard and Sara Remp were born nine children as follows: Henry E.; Sarah, who married Richard Matz; Mary, who married William Manier; Kate, who married Augustus Hartz, deceased; Elizabeth, deceased; Emina, who married Henry Messner; Charles B., a lumber merchant at Lippig, Mont.; Albert E., who resides at No. 1019 Church street, Reading; and Owen, who died young.

Henry E. Remp was reared upon his father's farm, and until twenty-two years of age worked for his parents. At this time he was married, and during the following year lived at home, but in 1870 he removed to Mohnton, where he has since resided. For a number of years he worked in the hat factories of his town and since 1900 he has worked at carpentering, being connected with W. D. Mohn. In 1902 Mr., Remp erected two large frame houses on Summit street, in the borough of Mohnton, in one of which he himself resides, renting the other. In politics he is an Independent Republican, and he and his family attend Zion's Evangelical Church.

In 1869 Mr. Remp was married to Emma Fritz, daughter of Baltzer and Barbara (Fitterling) Fritz, and to this union there has been born one daughter: Ellen, the wife of B. Frank Steffey, a musician of Reading. They have five children, namely: Maizy, Emma, Lawrence, Alda and Lee.


REMP, SAMUEL K.

p. 922

Surnames: REMP, KACHEL, SWEITZER, TROSTLE, HARTZ, SCHNADER, HARTZ, KISSINGER, GRIFFITH, HOSCHOUR, HOFFERT

Samuel K. Remp, a well-known resident of Knauer's, in Brecknock township, Berks county, where he has for some years been engaged in a general mercantile business, was born April 29, 1863, in Brecknock township, son of Elijah and Mary (Kachel) Remp.

Elijah Remp, father of Samuel K., was born in 1821, and when a young man learned the carpenter's trade, it being recorded in his diary that he started at his trade July 28, 1844, obtaining wages $1.50 per week. Mr. Remp continued at his trade until engaging in farming, at which the rest of his life was spent, his tract consisting of fifty acres. He died Feb. 7, 1905. Mr. Remp married Mary Kachel, daughter of Benjamin Kachel, and to them four children were born: Elizabeth, who died young; Aaron, who is a farmer of Knauer's (m. Susan Sweitzer); Catherine, who died young; and Samuel K.

Samuel K. Remp lived on the original Remp homestead near Knauer's until nine years of age, when his parents removed to where Howard Remp now lives, on the road leading from Knauer's to Adamstown. Here his lived until attaining his majority, when he began farming for himself. In 1888 he removed to near Morgantown, where he conducted the Westley's mill for a period of three years, and in 1891 he purchased the good-will and store property of Henry Trostle of Knauer's, where he has since carried on a general merchandise business. In this Mr. Remp has been very successful, and has built up a large and lucrative trade. The store property consists of sixteen acres of excellent soil, upon which Mr. Remp raises all kinds of truck, and here he has repaired the buildings and in 1900 erected a new barn. Mr. Remp also owns a tenant residence at Knauer's, has a half-interest in the Wyomissing grist mill (Schnader's), between Gouglersville and Mohnton, and also owns a residence on Wyomissing avenue, at the latter place. During his youth and young manhood Mr. Remp followed the trades of carpenter and painter, having learned these occupations from August Hartz, who is now deceased.

In politics Mr. Remp is a stanch Democrat, and he takes an active interest in the party's success. He was elected a school director of his township in Brecknock, which office he held for three years, during which time he helped to erect Remp's and Gebhart's schoolhouses, new text books were adopted, and various other improvements taken up. He and Mrs. Remp are Reformed members of Allegheny Union Church, of which for years he was a deacon, also serving as secretary of the Sunday-school. He is a director of the Mohnton National Bank, of Mohnton, organized in December, 1907.

On June 23, 1883, Mr. Remp married Adelia S. Schnader, born Feb. 5, 1863, daughter of Frank K. Schnader, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere. Two children, sons, have been born to this union: Charles F., an employee of the Pennsylvania Railroad, m. Minnie Kissinger, and has two children ? Earl Leroy and Anne; and Elmer E., who is engaged in lathing in Reading and lives in Pennwyn, m. Katie Griffith.

Aaron K. Remp, son of Elijah, and brother of Samuel K., was born in Cumru township, Sept. 13, 1853, and obtained his education in the township schools. When a young man he learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed for about five years, and in 1882 he began operations on his father's farm, where he continued for two years. In 1895 Mr. Remp purchased his present farm, which now consists of seventy acres of good, fertile land, and on which he raises produce for which he finds a ready market in Reading.

Mr. Remp married, in 1876, Susan Sweitzer, born June 8, 1858, daughter of Isaac and Mary (Hoschour) Sweitzer, and to this union one son has been born: Howard S., born June 1, 1877, m. Lizzie Hoffert, daughter of Nelson Hoffert, and has two children ? Mabel M. and Paul E. The family are members of Allegheny Church, belonging to the Lutheran congregation.


RENNINGER, DAVID

p. 1139

Surnames: RENNINGER, MOYER, KOLLER, BEHM, ROLAND, KRICK

David Renninger, deceased, who throughout life was engaged in the milling business in Berks county, was born in Colebrookdale township, this county, son of Abraham Renninger.

Abraham Renninger was engaged in milling in Berks county all of his life, and his son, David, after receiving his education in the common schools of his community, learned the business with him. David Renninger died at the age of thirty-one years, while his wife, Mary Moyer, daughter of Henry and Mary (Koller) Moyer, of Blandon, Pa., passed away aged sixty-eight years. They had three children: James, who died young; Mary A., and John, who also died young.

Mary A. Renninger was married (first) to Daniel Behm, and to them were born two children: William D. is deceased; and Edgar R., a printer by trade, who for several years was employed on the Reading Eagle, married Annie Moyer, now deceased, and they had three children: William L., Leon R., and Mary A. Mrs. Behm married (second) Lucian Roland, who was a plumber by occupation. They had no children. Her third marriage was to LeVan M. Krick, whose death occurred July 3, 1904. He was employed for many years as baggagemaster for the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company, and was also engaged in the cigar, tobacco and fishing tackle business at the corner of Eighth and Elm streets, Reading. He was a member of the Reformed Church. In political matters he was a Democrat, and was connected with the P. & R. Relief Association. Mrs. Krick resides at No. 810 Elm street, her son, Edgar R., and his children residing with her.


RENNINGER, JAMES H.

p. 1058

Surnames: RENNINGER, GILBERT, HOOVER, SMITH, SNYDER, GILBERT, CROLL, WIEAND, FETTEROLF, STICHTER, LERCH, OBOLD, MCKNIGHT, WILLIAMS, PAINTER, WALLOCK

James H. Renninger, of Reading, engaged in the contracting business, was born Aug. 21, 1851, in New Berlinville, Berks county, son of Josiah and Matilda (Gilbert) Renninger.

Jacob Renninger, his grandfather was a merchant and farmer of Montgomery county, Pa., and a very prominent man in his day. He married Fannie Hoover, and they had the following children: Sophia m. Deeter Smith; Mary Ann m. Simeon Snyder; Josiah m. Matilda Gilbert; Susan m. Abraham Croll; William. The father of this family was a Lutheran in religious belief, and a Democrat in politics.

Josiah Renninger was a general merchant at Gilbertsville, Montgomery county, and later at New Berlinville, Berks county, and also carried on lumbering, throughout this business career. He died at New Berlinville, in 1853, aged thirty-four years. He married Matilda Gilbert, who bore him four children: Percival, James H., Emma and Rose. In 1862 Mrs. Renninger married Rev. Daniel Wieand, a minister of the Evangelical denomination. No children were born to this union.

James H. Renninger was brought to Reading by his mother in 1861, and his education was received in the public schools of that city. He later took a course in the Freeland Seminary (now Ursinus College), under A. H. Fetterolf, principal of Girard College. In 1869 he obtained employment at the Stichter hardware store as clerk, continuing there until after the fire in 1872. In 1873 he entered the employ of Lerch Brothers, across the street, and continued with that firm until 1882, when he went into business with J. H. Obold, under the firm name of J. H. Obold & Co., H. McKnight also being a member of the firm. Later Messrs. Obold and Renninger purchased Mr. McKnight's interest, the firm continuing in business under the same name until the spring of 1903. At this time Mr. Renninger's health became impaired, and for several months he traveled through the Western States, engaging, after his return, in contracting at Boyertown. In this business he has continued to the present time with much success, being now located at No. 46 North Third street, Reading. He built twenty-five residences in Boyertown and seventeen in Pottstown, and has purchased the beautiful sandstone building of Jacob Wallock, the property being one of the finest in Boyertown and very desirable for residential purposes. Mr. Renninger is a thirty-second-degree (Philadelphia) Scottish Rite Mason, belonging to St. John's Lodge, No. 435; Excelsior Chapter, No. 237; Reading Commandery, No. 42, K. T.., and the A. A. O. N. M. S. He is secretary and treasurer of the Masonic Temple and Building Trust Company. He is an official member of the Memorial Church of the Holy Cross.

In 1872 Mr. Renninger was married to Catherine Williams, daughter of John B. Williams, and six children have been born to this union: Clarence, who is in the employ of J. H. Obold & Co.; Marion; Estelle, m. to Walter S. Painter, chief architect of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company, with office and residence at Montreal, Canada; Paul, an Assistant of his father; Catherine, and James, Jr.


RENTSCHLER, ALBERT

p. 1471

Surnames: RENTSCHLER, PHILLIPS, KLOPP, HETTINGER, BLATT, WINTER, YEAGER, HAAG, UNTERCOFLER, NAFTZINGER, NOECKER, SCHLAPPICH, YODER, HEFFNER, ALTHOUSE, ROTHERMEL, WAGNER

Albert Rentschler, now engaged in farming his father1s farm in Centre township, comes of German stock. He was born in Centre township, son of Levi Rentschler, and grandson of Daniel Rentschler. Three brothers named Rentschler came to America at the close of the Revolution, one of who settled in Philadelphia, one at Sunbury, Pa., and the other, John George, in what is now Upper Bern township, Berks county. The latter was born Oct. 11, 1756, and died March 24, 1827; his wife1s name was Catharine, born Dec. 23, 1765, died June 2, 1847.

Daniel Rentschler and his brothers, Michael, William, John and Samuel, all became prominent in Berks county, and all were owners of large tracts of land. Daniel was born Aug. 29, 1799, and died May 19, 1866. His whole life was passed in farming pursuits in Upper Bern township, where he owned three hundred acres of valuable land, a part of which he sold before his death. He died on that farm, which is located about a mile above Centreport, and is buried in St. Michael1s Church. He married Anna Maria Phillips, who was born March 2, 1801, and died Dec. 6, 1886, and their children were: John George, born Feb. 20, 1825, died in Centreport in 1898 (his daughter, Emma, married Cyrus Klopp); Maria, born Sept. 7, 1826, married Benjamin Klopp; Catharine, born March 30. 1828, lives in Columbia county, Pa.; Caroline, born April 10, 1830, married Reuben Hettinger; Levi, born Oct. 16, 1834; Daniel, born Sept. 27, 1837, married Sabilla Blatt, and lives in Centre township; and Sarah, born Feb. 1, 1840, married (first John Winter, (second) Wm. Yeager, and lives in Columbia county.

Levi Rentschler, born Oct. 16, 1834, is now living retired on his farm near Mohrsville. He received a common school education, and from his youth up has been engaged in agricultural pursuits. He became the owner of the old homestead, and still owns 137 acres of valuable land. For three years after his marriage he farmed this land, and then went to Bern township, and near Leinbach's Hotel engaged in farming for three years. He then moved to the John Haag farm in Centre township, and the care of that place was his chief concern for seven years, when he bought the farm upon which he now resides from John Haag. This was in 1872, and the farm consists of seventy-six acres. In 1898 he retired from active work, and his son became the manager of the farm,.

On Oct. 19, 1859, Mr. Levi Rentschler was married to Miss Sarah Untercofler, who was born May 8, 1836, daughter of Daniel and Hannah Untercofler. They have become the parents of eight children, as follows: Catherine A., who married Willoughby Naftzinger, and lives in Centre township; Albert; Franklin, born Feb. 18, 1863, and residing on the homestead, who married Sallie Noecker, and has children, James, Mahlon, Daniel, Sallie and Morris; Henry, born Nov. 8, 1864, who married Eva Schlappich, and has a daughter, Bertha: Elmira, who married Reuben Yoder, of Perry township; Emeline, who married (first) William Heffner, and (second) John Althouse; Lafayette, who married Kate Rothermel, and has two children, Ada and Pearl; and Sarah, at home.

Albert Rentschler grew to manhood on the old home farm, and when he left it to engage in the battle of life on his own account, he entered the employ of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company, at Mohrsville, and remained there fifteen years. In 1898 when his father retired he returned home, and since then he has been engaged in farming.

Mr. Rentschler has been twice married. His first wife, Kate Wagner, was born Feb. 2, 1873, and died March 11, 1900. To this union were born two children: Laura, born Nov. 16, 1898, died April 20, 1899; and Franklin H., born Feb. 17, 1900, now in school. By his second wife, Kate Klopp, Mr. Rentschler has no children. The family are members of Belleman's church (Lutheran), and Mr. Levi Rentschler was long a deacon therein. In politics he is a Democrat, and has served as school director.


RENTSCHLER, JOHN F.

p. 903

Surnames: RENTSCHLER, KAUFFMAN, FICHTHORN, HEYDT, ZECHMAN, WEIRICH, KANTNER, DANIEL

John F. Rentschler, proprietor of the "Farmers and Drovers Hotel," at Centreport, was born in Centre township, Berks county, Oct. 30, 1868, son of George K. and grandson of Michael Rentschler. The Rentschler family is of German origin, and was planted in the New World about the close of the war of the Revolution.

Michael Rentschler lived near St. Michael's Church in Centre township, and was there engaged extensively in farming. He was a very large land owner, and was one of the influential men of that locality. He married a Miss Kauffman, and their children were: Joseph K., born Feb. 16, 1842 (died Feb. 29, 1876), Michael and George K.

George K. Rentschler was born in Centre township, and there lived all his life engaged in farming, and also to a very large extent in burning lime. He married Amanda Fichthorn, and their children were: Frank, born Sept. 17, 1852, living at Lititz, Pa.; James, born May 24, 1854, of Lititz; Elmira, born Dec. 20, 1856, who married Adam Heydt; Fayetta, born Dec. 26, 1858, who married John Zechman; George W., born April 12, 1861, living in Alsace township; Alfred, born Oct. 22, 1863, of Bernville; Michael, born April 26, 1867, who died young; John F.; Emma R., born Jan. 1, 1871, who married Lewis Weirich, and is now deceased; Isabella, born May 19, 1872, who died young; Charles, born May 8, 1874, of Bernville. Mr. Rentschler died Aug. 20, 1891, aged sixty-seven. His wife died in 1898. They were both buried at Bernville.

John F. Rentschler attended the Penn school in Penn township, and worked with his father until he was twenty-one years old. He then for eleven years was employed as clerk in the Morris Rentschler Hotel at Bernville, becoming thoroughly familiar with the duties of "host." In 1900 he came to his present pleasant location, buying out the well known "Farmers and Drovers Hotel." There is a hall connected, known as the "Philo Hall," wherein all the business of the town is transacted, such as the meetings of the township school board, and those of the election board, road commissioners, etc.

On Oct. 22, 1898, Mr. Rentschler was married to Miss Pruella, daughter of Elias and Sarah (Kantner) Daniel. No children have been born to this union. Mr. Rentschler is a member of Camp No. 113, P. O. S. of A., of Bernville; Bernville Lodge No. 122, I. O. O. F.; and Shepherds of Bethlehem, No. 60, of Centreport. In politics he is a Democrat, and he has served efficiently on the election board in Bernville. In their religious faith he and his wife are members of the Lutheran and Reformed Churches, respectively. They are highly esteemed, and very popular in he community that knows them so well.


RENTSCHLER, MORRIS F.

p. 1074

Surnames: RENTSCHLER, FLEISHER, WAGONER, PHILLIPS, KAUFFMAN, FEGLEY, DIEHL, TOBIAS, MISSIMER, WEBBER, RICHARDSON, GRAEFF. MILLER

Morris F. Rentschler, a popular hotel-keeper of Berks county, who conducts the "Black Horse Hotel," at Kutztown, Pa., was born in Upper Bern township, Berks county, Oct. 20, 1865, son of Charles F. and Cassia (Fleisher) Rentschler.

The Rentschler family, which is of German stock, was founded in Berks county about the time of the close of the Revolutionary war, there being three brothers, one of whom settled in the city of Philadelphia, one near Sunbury, Pa., and the other John George, in Bern (now Upper Bern) township. John George Rentschler was born Oct. 11, 1755, and was married in 1785 to Catherine Wagoner, born Dec. 23, 1765, who died Jan. 2, 1847. They became the parents of ten children, six sons and four daughters, namely: Daniel; George, who settled out West; Samuel; Elizabeth, Mrs. Peter Phillips; Jacob; Mrs. Christ. Kauffman; Mrs. Joseph Kauffman, and three others?two sons and one daughter.

Jacob Rentschler, son of John George and grandfather of Morris F., was born April 3, 1804, and reared in Bern township He was a farmer and also owned a woolen mill, the buildings of which are still standing about three-quarters of a mile from Upper Bern post-office. He manufactured woolen bed-spreads and woolen goods from which men1 and women's clothes were made, and in his time was known as a hard-working, energetic man. In about middle life he became paralyzed, and during the rest of his life he was lame. He died Jan, 28, 1874. Mr. Rentschler was twice married, his first wife being Sarah Fegley, by whom he had four children, namely: Charles F., Fietta, Matilda and Frank. The second Mrs. Rentschler was Sarah Diehl, and by this union there were two children: Dr. Henry, of Ringtown, Schuylkill county, Pa.; and Lewis, who died in 1898, in his forty-fifth year.

Charles F. Rentschler was born June 11, 1835, and died Sept. 6, 1900. He was a resident of Shartlesville, Upper Bern township, where he was engaged in the mercantile and hotel business for many years. He was a prominent citizen and an active Democrat and was prothonotary of Berks county from 1876 to 1878, also serving as school director of his township for some time. He and his family belonged to the Lutheran Church, and he was buried at the Charles Evans cemetery. On Oct. 17, 1857, Mr. Rentschler was married to Cassia Fleisher, daughter of Henry and Mary Magdalena (Tobias) Fleisher, and to this union there were children born as follows: Milton (m. Mina Missimer); Rosabella (died in infancy); Alma (m. Rev. A. M. Webber, of Boyertown, Pa.); Charles (unmarried, is a druggist of Reading, Pa.); Morris F. (the hotel keeper of Kutztown); Harry; Hannah Irene (died in infancy); Tamsa (m. Wilson Richardson); and Miss Mary.

Morris F. Rentschler attended the schools of his locality until seventeen years of age, although at the age of fourteen he learned cigar making, following it in the winter months while working on the farm in summers. Thus he continued until twenty years of age. In 1886 he located in Reading, being employed with Brobst & Rentschler, with whom he continued for three years, then removing to the "Eagle Hotel" at Bernville, which was then owned by his father. This place he successfully conducted for eighteen years, making it a very popular stand, and during the latter years of his occupancy he had many summer boarders. In April, 1904, Mr. Rentschler began attending to his valuable farm in Penn township, and dealing in hides and leather, in which he had engaged some years previous, but in September, 1905, he located at Kutztown, taking charge of the "Black Horse Hotel." Under Mr. Rentschler1s management the hotel has become one of the leading ones of Kutztown.

In his political views Mr. Rentschler is a Democrat and for years has been actively engaged in the ranks of his party in this section. He is a good citizen and an energetic and enterprising business man, having an enviable reputation in the community for honesty and integrity. Mr. and Mrs. Rentschler attend the Lutheran Church.

On Sept. 30, 1886, Morris F. Rentschler married Ida S. Graeff, daughter of Francis and Masitta (Miller) Graeff, the latter of whom were the parents of these children: Elmer, Charles, Lester, Ida (Mrs. Rentschler), Allen, and James. To Mr. and Mrs. Rentschler there have been born two sons and two daughters, namely: May C.; Walter M.; Hannah I.; and Charles F. The family are very highly esteemed in the community in which they reside.


RENTZ, C. MILTON

p. 1355

Surnames: RENTZ, WEITZEL, GRUBER, WHITMOYER, HILL, SHEIDY, CLOUSER, MILLER, EPLER

Among the well known residents of West Reading, Pa., who have been identified with the social, political and professional life of the borough, may be mentioned C. Milton Rentz, a well known and popular educator of Spring township. Mr. Rentz was born Jan. 9, 1871, at Vinemont, Spring township, son of John and Emma E. (Weitzel) Rentz.

John Rentz was born in Germany, and came to America with his parents when ten years of age. Throughout a long and successful career Mr. Rentz followed agricultural pursuits near Wernersville, where he cultivated a tract of forty-eight acres until 1903, and since that year he has lived retired. He now resides in his own home on the boulevard at Wyomissing, which he erected in 1907, and also owns a residence on Mory avenue, in the same borough. Mr. Rentz is a member of Hain's Reformed Church, where he was an elder for two years. In 1869 Mr. Rentz was married to Emma E. Weitzel, born in Cumru (now Spring) township, daughter of John and Rebecca (Gruber) Weitzel, of Bern township, and to this union there were born children as follows: John W. died in infancy; C. Milton; George M. lives in Montello, Pa.; Albert resides in Wyomissing, Pa.; Rebecca mar. Isaac Whitmoyer, of Sinking Spring, Pa.; Rosa mar. James Hill, of Wyomissing; Amelia mar. Harry Sheidy and died at the age of twenty-one years; Howard lives in West Reading; Emma died at the age of nineteen years; and Fred is attending Franklin and Marshall College.

C. Milton Rentz obtained his early training in the township schools of Spring and Lower Heidelberg townships, and later he attended a private school under the tutorage of Prof. H. H. Clouser, at Sinking Spring. In 1894 he was graduated from the Keystone State Normal School, Kutztown, Pa. Except during his senior year at the Normal school, Mr. Rentz has been teaching school during the winter months since 1889, nine terms in Spring and eight in Lower Heidelberg township, eleven of which were in the grammar school, and until 1902 he was engaged in agricultural pursuits during the summer months. In that year he removed to No. 436 Penn avenue, West Reading, where he owns a residence. Mr. Rentz has become very well known as a school teacher, and his popularity is great. He has always been an ardent supporter of the Democratic party and its principles, and at present he is serving the borough of West Reading as town clerk, a position to which he was appointed by the council. Fraternally he is connected with Washington Camp No. 99, P. O. S. of A., of Wernersville; and Vigilance Lodge, No. 194, I. O. O. F., of Reading. He and his family are Reformed members of Hain's Church, of which he served as deacon and secretary, each two years.

On Sept. 15, 1894, Mr. Rentz was married to Ida S. Miller, daughter of Peter and Susan (Epler) Miller, of Fritztown, and to this union there have been born two children: Irwin J. and Emma E.


REPPERT, CHARLES B.

p. 1253

Surnames: REPPERT, OLD, HECKMAN, ENGEL, FRAUNFELDER, BAER, ENGEL

Charles B. Reppert, one of the substantial and representative citizens of Shoemakersville, Berks Co., Pa., who owns and operates a fine 175-acre tract of land, was born Oct. 10, 1868, in Hamburg, son of Henry and Priscilla (Old) Reppert.

Daniel Reppert, the immigrant ancestor of the family in America, came to the New World from Germany, landing in America Sept. 28, 1753, when twenty-four years of age. He was married to a lady from the Fatherland who crossed the ocean on the same vessel as he, and among their children was Joseph, who lived in Windsor township about one mile below Lenhartsville. Joseph Reppert drove a mine team and worked on the farm all of his life, dying in 1876 in his ninety-seventh year. He was the father of these children: Joseph, who lived in Windsor for many years but removed to Hamburg a short time prior to his death in 1903, at the age of 102 years; Henry; Levi; Peter; Charles; Adam; Sally Ann, and Catherine.

Henry Reppert, father of Charles B., was born Dec. 26, 1845, in Greenwich township, and was there reared, later living at Windsor. At the age of sixteen years he began driving a six-mule mining team for the Windsor furnace. He was married to Priscilla Old, daughter of Charles and Polly (Heckman) Old of Windsor, and they had children as follows: Annie, deceased; Milton O.; Charles B.; Lillie; Robert; Edwin E.; Martha; Mamie; Clara, deceased; Nora, who died in infancy; Sadie, and Mabel. Mr. Reppert died in his fifty-sixth year, while his widow, who was born in 1850, survives him and resides in Reading.

When two years of age Charles B. Reppert was taken by his parents to Windsor township and some time later to Lenhartsville. Mr. Reppert obtained his education in the local schools which he attended until sixteen years of age, and from youth worked on the farm. He hired out with Henry Fraunfelder of Windsor township for many years and then purchased the Baer homestead in Perry township, above Shoemakersville, which consists of 175 acres of excellent land, in the best of condition. Mr. Reppert has a fine dairy of sixteen Holstein and Durham cows, and operates a daily milk route to Shoemakersville, where he disposes of the product. Mr. Reppert is a self-made man, having forced his way to the front rank of the citizens of his district. He is public-spirited and much interested in educational matters, now serving the township as school director. He has been auditor and is a man of influence in Perry township.

On Dec. 25, 1889 Mr. Reppert married Priscilla Engel daughter of Henry and Susanna (Baer) Engel and to this union there were born: Henry O., Annie, who died in youth, Lizzie F., Charles B., who died in 1899 and Mamie M.


RHEIN FAMILY

p. 1123

Surnames: RHEIN, EBLING, GRANGER, SHADLE, SHEARER, STAUFFER, DUTH, MILLER

The emigrant ancestor of the well-known Rhein family in Berks county was David Rhein, who came to America from the Palatinate of Germany in 1752, settling in Reading, Pa. Here he married, and to him were born two sons: Daniel and Henry. David Rhein was a cabinetmaker by occupation, and also conducted the first undertaking establishment in the town of Reading, manufacturing himself the coffins used in his business. He was a prominent figure of his day, and was a man of powerful build. A good citizen and upright man, he held the respect and esteem of all with whom he came into contact.

Henry Rhein, his son, married a Miss Ebling, and they became the parents of these children: Elizabeth, m. to a Mr. Granger; Polly, m. to a Mr. Shadle; Peter; Daniel; and Henry (2). Henry Rhein was also a cabinetmaker, following in the foot-steps of his father throughout life, and being as well equipped both mentally and physically. He was a member of the German Reformed Church. Henry Rhein (2), son of Henry, followed the same business as his father and grandfather before him, continuing the occupation of cabinet-maker in Reading all of his life. He was noted for his honest business methods and many other sterling qualities, and was respected by all. Mr. Rhein married Margaret Shearer, daughter of John Shearer, and to this union were born children as follows: Henry, m. to Emma Stauffer; Amelia m. to John Duth, a cabinet-maker, who died in Philadelphia, and had one son, James R. Duth, who is now living retired in the city of Reading; and Rebecca S. In religious belief Mr. and Mrs. Rheim were members of the German Reformed Church.

Mrs. Rebecca S. Miller, youngest daughter of Henry Rhein, was educated in the schools of the city, and all of her life was greatly interested in the science of Phrenology. She was also well known as a floriculturist. She died May 4, 1907.


RHEIN, HENRY S.

p. 1623

Surnames: RHEIN, SHEARER, MOYER, REBER, HARTZ, EBLING, MILLER, NORTON, STAUFFER

Henry S. Rhein, for many years engaged in the undertaking business, was born March 30. 1824, in Oley township, Berks county, and died July 30, 1907. He was the son of Henry and Margaret (Shearer) Rhein.

David Rhein, the founder of the family in America, emigrated to this country from the Palatinate of Germany, and, settling in the town of Reading, became the first undertaker of that place. He was a cabinet-maker by trade, and manufactured the coffins used in his business, continuing therein until his death, about 1812. Mr. Rhein married Appeline Moyer, a native of Myerstown, and among their children were: Daniel, who married Susan Reber; Mrs. Hartz; Henry, the grandfather of Henry S. In religious matters David Rhein and his wife were connected with the Reformed Church. In politics he was at first an old-line Whig, and later became a Republican.

Henry Rhein continued in the business founded by his father, having learned the trade of cabinet-maker, and followed it all of his life, also gaining some little reputation as a manufacturer of blacksmith1s bellows. He married Susan Ebling, and to then were born: Daniel; Henry; Peter and Elizabeth. They were members of the Reformed Church. In politics Mr. Rhein was a Republican. Henry Rhein, father of Henry S., was, like his father and grandfather, a cabinet-maker, and followed that occupation all of his active life He was very successful in his business enterprises, and at the time of his death owned much valuable real estate. He married Margaret Shearer, and to them were born a large family of children, Henry S. and Mrs. Rebecca S. Miller being the only survivors.

Henry S. Rhein received his education in the schools of Reading, and when a young man learned the trade of cabinet-maker, which he followed for many years, later turning his attention to mercantile pursuits. He was also the leading undertaker of the city, and conducted the first funeral at the Charles Evans cemetery, the body being that of James Norton's first wife. Mr. Rhein, in speaking of the early days, said: "The only records of funerals kept in those days were those who did not pay." Mr. Rhein became very successful in his numerous business ventures, and in 1896 retired from business, owning much valuable real estate in the city, as well as considerable farming property. Mr. Rhein was married to Emma Stauffer, daughter of Solomon Stauffer, and one child, Mary, was born to this union.

Fraternally Mr. Rhein was connected with the I. O. O. F., and also with the encampment. He belonged to the Reformed Church, which he attended regularly and supported liberally. In politics he was a Democrat.


RHEIN, J. G.

p. 762

Surnames: RHEIN, FOUST, BOYER, WIEND, JACOBS, RICHARDSON, RHODE, HECKMAN, HART, BROWN, SEIDER, KUDER

J. G. Rhein, who is engaged in the paper hanging, painting and decorating business at No. 721 Walnut street, Reading, was born July 5, 1850, in Bernville, Berks county, son of Daniel Rhein, the latter a butcher and farmer of Bernville, who also engaged at the shoemaker's trade.

J. G. Rhein attended the public schools of his native town, and when a young man located in Reading and learned the paper-hanging trade, shortly afterward engaging in this business, which he has followed to the present time, having offices at No. 721 Walnut street, and at No. 101 Walnut street. Mr. Rhein was married (first) to Katie Foust, daughter of Jesse Foust, of Bernville, and she died in 1892, the mother of these children: Annie, m. to Levi Boyer, of Reading; Edward m. to Jennie Wiend, of Reading; Lizzie m. to James Jacobs, of Reading; Florence, m. to Robert Richardson, typewriter at the Boys' high school, Reading; and Carrie, m. to William Rhode; and John at home. Mr. Rhein's second marriage was to Mrs. Mary E. Heckman, widow of the late Henry N. Heckman.

Henry N. Heckman was born in Pricetown, Berks Co., Pa., Aug. 7, 1847, son of Nicholas Heckman. He attended the public schools and the high school of Reading, and was then employed as a clerk with S. M. Hart, of Penn street. He later engaged in the flour and feed business on Walnut street, continuing therein for several years, when he engaged as a clerk for A. K. Brown, and continued in that gentleman's employ for about four years. Mr. Heckman was then employed by the Dives, Pomeroy & Stewart department store, having charge of the upholstery department for seventeen years, or until his death, Feb. 7, 1902. Mr. Heckman was a member of the Lutheran Church, and was buried at the Charles Evans cemetery. In politics he was a Democrat. He was a member of St. John's Lodge of Masons, and the Knights of Pythias.

Mrs. Mary E. Rhein was the daughter of John G. and Amelia (Seider) Kuder, the former of whom was born in Lehigh county, near Allentown, and came to Reading when a boy. Learning the cabinet making trade, Mr. Kuder followed that occupation all of his life, and died in Reading aged fifty years, his wife surviving him and attaining the age of eighty-three years. Mrs. Rhein was the only child born to this couple.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:56:49 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.