Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

NOLAN, WILLIAM (JR.)

p. 576

Surnames: NOLAN, O'REILLY, COPPINGER, DUFFY, McDONOUGH

William Nolan, Jr., a prominent railroad contractor, residing at Sinking Spring, was born in Reading May 4, 1874. He was educated in the local schools, and also at St. Mary's College, at Emmitsburg, Md. Then he learned the business of railroad contracting with the firm of Nolan Brothers, of which firm his father was the senior partner, and while still under age he became a partner of Joseph P. O'Reilly. From 1893 to 1896 they executed several large contracts, putting up iron bridges at Reading and Harrisburg, enlarging the waterworks and putting in the sewerage pumping stations at Reading. From 1896 to 1905 he was associated with his brother, Charles, in railroad contracting, more particularly for the Reading Railroad Company, their father, William Nolan, being interested with them from 1900 to 1902. This enterprising young firm put up all the stone bridge work for the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad Company, from Sinnamahoning to Weedville, a distance of thirty-two miles. Their grandfather, James Nolan, had been the contractor for the stone work on this same railroad for thirty miles some sixty years before and their father for thirty-two miles, some thirty years before.

In 1905 Mr. Nolan organized the firm of Nolan Brothers, with his brother Edward C. as partner, for carrying on construction work more extensively, and since then they have successfully executed a large number of contracts. One of these contracts, worthy of special mention, was the extension of the Bethlehem Steel Works, which involved the excavation of over a million yards of rock and earth on an area of forty acres; and its execution required an equipment of nine locomotives, five steam shovels, three hundred dump-cars, two grading machines, one hundred horses, twelve steam drills, four miles of railroad track, etc., all this affording facilities for removing 150,000 cubic yards monthly. They also built the new Sacon plant of the Bethlehem Steel Company, the Philadelphia & Garrettford Railroad, and the Boyertown & Pottstown Railroad.

Mr. Nolan has identified himself with a number of the financial institutions of Reading by investing in their bonds and stocks; but on account of his absence in giving contract work his personal supervision he has not become connected with their management.

In 1896 Mr. Nolan married Margaret Coppinger, daughter of Michael and Margaret (Duffy) Coppinger, of Reading, and by her he has two sons, John C. and Richard. Mr. Nolan's home was at Reading until 1898, when he removed to Sinking Spring, having purchased a farm of fifty acres adjoining the village on the west, along the main thorough-fare.

William Nolan, Mr. Nolan's father, was a successful railroad contractor of Reading. He was born in Ireland in 1840, and married Katherine McDonough, a daughter of Dr. Charles McDonough, of Reading. He died in 1903.


NOLDE, JACOB

p. 600

Surnames: NOLDE, HORST, LORAH

Jacob Nolde, of Reading, has had a business career which can find few parallels in the industrial history of Berks county. As the head of the Nolde & Horst Company, manufacturers of hosiery, who have established at the point one of the largest plants of the kind in the United States, his operations bear an important relation to the prosperity of the city. The fifteen hundred employes of this immense concern form a large proportion of its industrial population.

Old established families and native-born residents of this section are so numerous that Mr. Nolde's residence in Reading, dating from the year 1888, seems comparatively brief. Its influence in increasing the wealth of the community is not to be measured by years. The profitable operation of so large an establishment as that conducted by the Nolde & Horst Company affects the welfare of many other lines, and the flourishing condition of this business has attracted to the vicinity various other desirable enterprises. Mr. Nolde is familiar with the practical work of the mills as well as with their management, and he deserves his full share of credit due for their wonderful development. The manner in which he has forged his way to the front proves him worthy of the high position he has attained.

Jacob Nolde was born in Berleburg, Westphalia, Germany, in the year 1859, and received the excellent educational advantages of the schools of his native land. Until be came to America, in 1880, he was engaged as traveling salesman for a clothing house. His first location in this country was at Stony Creek, Berks county, Pa., where be found employment as a weaver with Louis Kraemer & Co., with whom he continued until he engaged in business on his own account. When Louis Kraemer & Co. started the Nazareth Manufacturing Company, in Northampton county, Pa., Mr. Nolde accompanied them, remaining there until the spring of 1888, when he disposed of his interests and came to Reading. The Nazareth Manufacturing Company were converting their knitting-mill into a factory devoted exclusively to the production of underwear, and Mr. Nolde purchased their seamless half hose machinery, which comprised twenty machines and the necessary auxiliaries. This modest equipment has proved to be the nucleus of one of the largest and most completely appointed factories in the country. The machines were installed in the Thalheimer building, at No. 143 Cedar street, Reading. But within a very short time the business outgrew these quarters, and in the spring of 1890 Mr. Nolde found more adequate accommodations at No. 222 Cedar street, in a building 45 x 100 feet in dimensions. While he was in that location he admitted Mr. George Horst to a partnership in the business, and they have been asso-ciated ever since. Purchasing the property, they carried on operations there until the year 1892, by which time they had reached the conclusion that it would be economy to have a building especially adapted to the needs of the growing industry. Consequently they invested in a lot 100 feet square, on Moss street, beyond Douglass, upon which they erected a three-story and basement fac-tory 50 x 100 feet. It was a model plant of its kind in every particular, and doubtless gave the ambitious young partners more pleasure than their mature natures have found in the present immense factory. Their ex-pensive venture was followed shortly by the panic of 1893, but wise administration and indomitable effort soon made them masters of the situation, and the new in-dustry weathered the storm with such skill that it suffered no decline.

The firm was now finding itself in a position to cope with the large manufacturers, and to be regarded by them as competitors worthy of attention. Up to this time the products of the factory had been a cheap class of goods, but when the fast black and tan goods came to be generally favored they found it necessary to meet the -popular demand, and in order to facilitate their work opened a finishing establishment in Philadelphia. Mr. Horst took charge of the new branch, Mr. Nolde retaining the management of the Reading plant, and this arrangement lasted until the concern was incorporated, in 1897. It had previously been conducted on a partnership basis.

After the incorporation the Nolde & Horst Company purchased a tract of land adjoining the first lot, 100x160 feet in dimensions, and built an extension 32x160 feet, as well as a wing 50x100 feet, a dye-house and an engine-room. This gave them facilities for operating four hundred knitting machines, furnishing employment to five hundred hands. On Dec. 7, 1899 , fire destroyed almost the entire plant only the dye-house and boiler remaining. But this disaster in no way retarded the progress of the business. The debris was cleared away at once, and by May 1, 1900, within five months, the knitting mills were again in full working order, with improved equipment, all the new machinery installed being of the latest models. Moreover, extraordinary precautions were taken against a repetition of the catastrophe and to insure the safety of all employed in the building, which was provided throughout with the most. approved fire escapes.

The steady expansion of trade has since called for several additions. In 1903 two extensions, 60 x 32 feet and 50 x 100 feet, respectively, three stories and basement, were made. In 1905 two more of the same dimensions were found necessary, and the same year the dye- house was enlarged by an addition 40 x 120 feet. On the Ninth street side of the property another building, 50 x 380 feet, has been erected, increasing the floor space to the remarkable area of 230,000 square feet--over five acres. Fifteen hundred people are regularly employed in turning out the product of this vast establishment, and when the addition now being made is open the force will be increased to two thousand. There are only a few metropolitan establishments which have a showing to be compared with this. The output of this factory is confined to hosiery, but the Nolde & Horst Company are also interested in another establishment of similar nature, a large glove factory 50 x 210 feet, five stories in height, for the manufacture of silk gloves exclusively. Moreover, since their operations have attained such enormous proportions, they have found it practicable to extend their attention to allied enterprises, and they are interested in the Windsor Machine Company, manufacturing all their own knitting machines. Excellent management in this and in other respects has not only proved economical, but has facilitated the work in many ways and improved labor conditions for the operatives as well as commercial opportunities for the management.

This record of the success of the Nolde & Horst Company and allied interests is in reality the story of Mr. Nolde's life. He has always been a man of action and able to attend faithfully to many affairs, but nevertheless his ambition, his enthusiasm and his best efforts have been devoted to the building up of the concern of which he stands at the head. His energies have found expression in the improvement of every branch of the business, for having been a practical worker himself he understands the necessities of the operative as well as the directive department. The establishment has enhanced the industrial standing of Reading to such an extent that it is regarded with high favor by both capitalists and workers. Mr. Nolde is prominently connected with two important financial institutions of Reading, being a director of the Keystone National Bank, and the Colonial Trust Company. His standing is irreproachable.

Personally Mr. Nolde is well known as a member of the B. P. O. E. and a high Mason, his Masonic associations including membership in Teutonia Lodge, F. & A. M., the Chapter, the Commandery and Rajah Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He has been twice married, his first union,. which took place in 1889, having been to Lydia Lorah, who passed away in 1892. She was the mother of two children, Carl and Ella, both of whom are at home. His present wife was Louisa Horst, sister of his business partner, George Horst, and to them have been born four children, George, Lena, Hans and Louisa. Mr. and Mrs. Nolde are active members of Zion Reformed Church, with which Mr. Nolde united as a charter member. He has acted as secretary of the church organization since 1893.


NOLL, HARRY N.

p. 1077

Surnames: NOLL, NEWMAN, UHRICHT, REED, FORRY, LEININGER, MORNIN, HOFFMAN, SANDERS, HEFFELFINGER, AHRENS, PALM, JACKSON, HERFLICKER, HERTLINE, SAYLOR, BOWER, GOODMAN

Harry N. Noll, a blacksmith at Mohnton, was born at Newmanstown, Lebanon county, Pa., Jan. 19, 1868, son of Levi and Eliza M. (Newman) Noll.

The history of the Noll family in America begins long before the Revolution. On Sept. 21, 1751, Philip Heinrich Noll landed at Philadelphia, from the ship "Two Brothers," and tradition has it that a brother Benjamin had already settled in Lebanon county, a tradition supported by the recorded fact that such a name appears on the tax list of Lebanon township, Lebanon county, in 1750. Philip Noll settled at Newmanstown, and both operated a small farm and worked at his trade as a shoemaker. He lived to a very advanced age, and his remains are buried in the village where he lived so- long. His wife was Rebecca Uhricht, by whom he had five children, viz.: George, a stone mason at Newmanstown; William, similarly engaged there; Isaac; Sedock, a shoemaker at Newmanstown; and Polly, wife of Harry Reed, of that same place.

Isaac Noll was born in Newmanstown and there died, his life covering the span from 1809 to 1893. He was the owner of a small farm of forty-five acres, which he carried on in addition to shoemaking. Twice married, his children were all by his first wife, Rebecca Forry, and numbered seven, viz.: Lydia m. John Leininger, of Womelsdorf; Caroline M. m. Peter Mornin, a railroad employe; Edward, a blacksmith at Richland, Pa., m. Miss Katie Hoffman; William, of Schaefferstown, m. Miss Emma Sanders; Levi F.; Sarah m. John Heffelfinger, a plasterer at Mt. Etna; and Malinda.

Levi F. Noll was born Feb. 19, 1834, and during all of his active life was a blacksmith, working in Newmanstown, Jacksonwald, St. Lawrence and Reading. In the last city he was employed for some years by Howard Ahrens. He first located there in 1874, then spent twelve years in Jacksonwald and St. Lawrence, and finally returned to Reading again in 1890, remaining there ever since. He has given up his trade, but while living practically in retirement still maintains a hold on the world of action and business by conducting an oyster house on Locust street. He has always been interested in politics, and for some years served as constable of Exeter township, elected on the Republican ticket.

During the Civil war Mr. Noll was among those who rallied to their country's defense. He enlisted as a private in Company F, 93rd Pa. V. I., and saw considerable active service, participating in the battles of the Wilderness, Fisher's Hill, Winchester, Cedar Creek, Charlestown and Sailor's Creek.

Mr. Noll married Eliza M. Newman, daughter of Adam and Catherine (Palm) Newman, and to this union children have been born as follows: Eva m. Henry M. Jackson, a machinist of Reading; Harry N.; Isaac and Adam both died in childhood; Katie m. Howard Herflicker, a slater in Reading; William m. Miss Rosa Hertline, of Reading; Mary m. Samuel Saylor, of Reading; Edward died in childhood; Walter; and two died in infancy.

Harry N. Noll was sent to the public schools in Reading and Jacksonwald, but left at an early age to help on the farm which his father occupied. When seventeen years old he took up his father's trade, but acquired it not from the latter but from Wallace Eckenroth, of Gouglersville. He worked one year for William Bachman and another on his own account at St. Lawrence. He was next with Owen Fox at the Half Way House and after that took a position in the Blandon Rolling Mills. On April 3, 1893, he started out once more for himself, locating at Mohnsville, and has built up a patronage there, the largest in that section of the country, for people living within a radius of five miles come to him for work. Not only is his work most satisfactory, but he himself is so honest and upright in all his dealings, so manly in character, that he stands high in the public respect and is very popular personally. He has considerable influence locally in politics, and has always worked well for his party, the Republican, which has rewarded his loyalty by making him auditor of Cumru township, an office he filled most efficiently for three years.

On Oct. 19, 1889, Mr. Noll married S. Laura Bower, daughter of William and Caroline (Goodman) Bower. Mrs. Noll has borne her husband seven children, namely: Venona May; Della A., who died in 1895, aged nineteen months; Paul B., who died in 1897, aged three years, eight months; Katie V., who died in 1897, aged fifteen months; Allison L.; Erma C.; and Debbie E. Mr. Noll, as well as his wife, is a member of the Lutheran Church of Blandon. Fraternally he belongs to the K. of P, No. 485, and Knights of Friendship, No. 46, both of Mohnton; and to the P. O. S. of A., No. 230, of St. Lawrence.


NOLL, WILLIAMHENRY

p. 1413

Surnames: NOLL, KELLER, HECKMAN, SPECHT, STEIHL, KLINE, GRING, WEITZEL, MERKEL, DELP, HAAS, DREIBELBIS, ROTHERMEL, SCHMECK, WELDER, WEIDNER, HAFER

William Henry Noll, a teacher residing in Ruscombmanor township, Berks county, was born July 18, 1874, son of David K. and Elizabeth (Keller) Noll.

Peter Noll, Sr., the great-great-grandfather of W. Henry, was, according to the Federal census of 1790, a resident of Exeter township, where he is recorded as having a son at home above sixteen years of age, and two daughters. Tradition states he had a large family, some of the children having been previously married and having families of their own. Another son of Peter Noll, Sr., besides Peter, was Valentine, who in 1790 lived in Alsace township.

Peter Noll, son of Peter Sr., and also mentioned in the Federal census of 1790, was a farmer, and lived in Alsace township. He married Magdalena Keller, and they had children as follows: John, Peter, Henry, Samuel, Jacob, Molly (m. John Heckman), and Hettie (m. Daniel Heckman). Peter Noll is buried at Spies's Church.

Henry Noll, son of Peter and Magdalena, was born in Alsace township, May 3, 1798, and died Nov. 25, 1883, in Ruscombmanor township, on the farm now owned by the estate of his son, David K., and operated by his grandson Gideon. He was a farmer, and built the present set of buildings on his farm, the barn in 1840 and the house in 1842. He m. Catharine Keller, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Specht) Keller, of Rockland township. She was born June 5, 1803, and died aged eighty-three years. Both are buried at Shalters Church. They became the parents of ten children, namely: Sarah m. John Steihl; Nicodemus lived in Richmond township; Jacob lived in Union county, Pa.; Henry K. lived in Ruscombmanor township; Catharine m. Simon Kline, of Reading; Elizabeth m. (first) Reuben Gring, and (second) John Weitzel; Hannah m. Daniel Merkel; David K.; Mary m. William Merkel; Magdalena m. Reuben Delp; and Martha m. (first) Martin Haas, and. (second) Cleophas Dreibelbis.

David K. Noll, son of Henry and Catharine, and father of W. Henry, born in Ruscombmanor township, Oct. 13, 1813, and died on his farm, Oct. 26, 1907. He had lived all his life in Ruscombmanor township, with the exception of four years when he farmed in Alsace township. He owned a farm of eighty-four acres in Ruscombmanor, which he cultivated, and on which he lived and died. He also owned the Noll homestead in Ruscombmanor township, which has been in the family name for over 100 years. That tract consists of sixty-two acres, and is now rented to Mr. Noll's son, Gideon. Mr. Noll built the present house in 1893, and there his widow now lives, superintending the cultivation of the farm. He was a Democrat, and served as school director for a number of years, and was a delegate to a number of county conventions. Mr. Noll was a self made man. In his early life he learned the blacksmith's trade from Jonas Rothermel, at Fleetwood, after which was hired on the farm in Muhlenberg two years. He then from there came to Reading, where he assisted his brother-in-law, Simon Kline, in the manufacturing of brick for about four years. He then returned home and helped his father upon the farm two years, next returning to Reading and working for the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company as a blacksmith, be-coming the foreman of the blacksmith department.

In 1874 he began farming in Ruscombmanor township, on his father's farm as a tenant, remaining there four years, when he moved to the farm of his father-in-law, Gideon Keller, who died in 1878. The Keller farm became the property of Mrs. Noll by inheritance. After ten years on the Keller farm they returned to the old Noll homestead and lived there six years. On March 24, 1894, they came to the present place.

Mr. Noll and his family were Reformed members of Shalter's Union Church, while Mrs. Noll worships in the Lutheran faith at the same church. David K. Noll was married Nov. 24, 1868, to Elizabeth, daughter of Gideon and Sarah (Schmeck) Keller. Their children were: Gideon, born 1869, and now a farmer and justice of the peace in Ruscombmanor township, m. Sarah E. Welder, and has children--Katie E., Annie M., Maria S., and David J.; Maria Catharine, born 1871, died 1872; William Henry; Peter Nic., born 1879, is single and lives with his mother; and John Jacob, born 1883, died 1884.

William Henry Noll was reared upon the farm, and obtained his early education in the public schools of the township, and later attending the Keystone State Normal school, at Kutztown. He was licensed to teach in the public schools by Prof. W. M. Zechman, in the fall of 1894, and taught his first term and the ten succeeding terms at Sand Hill school in Ruscombmanor. In the fall of 1906 he began teaching at Frey's school in the same township. He also owns and cultivates a tract of thirteen acres, where he lives, in Ruscombmanor, on the road leading from Pricetown to Fleetwood, known as the Friedensburg Road.

Mr. Noll is a good musician, at an early age showing considerable talent. When a boy of eight years he could play difficult music, and at fifteen began playing the Sunday-school organ for the St. John's Sunday-school at Pricetown. In 1895 he was elected organist of the St. John's Union Church at Pricetown, and has been the organist and choirmaster ever since. He was also the organist at Shalters Church, in Alsace township for a period of five years. For some years he taught music.

Mr. Noll is an influential Democrat, and for seven years was a member of the County Standing Committee. He was active in the welfare of his party before he was of age. In the spring of 1905 he was elected the assessor of the township, and after serving one term of three years was re-elected by a unanimous vote. He was a delegate to the State Convention in 1903, and has rendered valuable services to his party in various capacities. He and his family are members of Shalters Reformed Church.

On March 26, 1898, Mr. Noll married Mary, daughter of Franklin and Susan (Weidner) Hafer, of Oley township. To this union have been born three children, viz.: Elda Erma, David Walter and Elmer Franklin.


NORTHEIMER, OLIVER L.

p. 1434

Surnames: NORTHEIMER, GARMAN, JONES, GEHRET, WABLIN, ALTHOUSE, BEHM, KRICK, HETRICK

Oliver L. Northeimer, a contractor for stone work in Reading, is one of the well-known men in his line, and has done much important construction work in the city. He was born in Centre county, Pa., in 1866.

Jacob Northeimer, paternal grandfather, was in his earlier life a farmer in Chester county, but later moved to Lancaster county, and there died at the age of ninety-two years. By his wife, Barbara Garman, who died in Reading, aged seventy-nine, he had a family of whom are living, Andrew, of Lancaster county; and Nicholas J.

Nicholas J. Northeimer was born in Chester county, Aug. 17, 1830, and attended school both there and in Lancaster county. He then worked at farming a few years, and finally at the age of twenty-four, began to learn the stone mason's trade in Chester county. On Jan. 15, 1864, he located in Reading and was in business there till 1904, when he and his son Oliver L., worked for James W., another son. In 1870 he worked on the steeple of the church at Fifth and Court streets, the oldest and largest in the city. In the year mentioned he started for himself, and began his prosperous career of thirty-four years as a stone contractor. Among the many important structures on which he worked may be mentioned the tower on the Germantown M. E. church.

Mr. Northeimer was married in 1858 to Louise L., born March 9, 1833, daughter of William and Emma Jones, of Chester county. Their home is in Exeter township. Their children were: James W., in the stone contracting business, residing at No. 547 Weiser street; Mary L. S., the wife of Wilson Gehret; Annie M., deceased; John E.; Oliver L.; Clara A.; Emma B.; Mrs. Harry Wablin, of Mullins, S. C.; and Eva A., wife of James P. Althouse. Mr. Northeimer is a Democrat in politics, is a member of St. Paul's M. E. Church, and belongs to the Masons' Union.

Oliver L. Northeimer has lived in Reading from the age of two years, and was there educated. On leaving school he at first learned the barber's trade and followed it a few years, but at the age of nineteen he began working under his father, and continued so until he started to work for his brother, James W., in whose employ he still is.

On Oct. 17, 1900, Oliver L. Northeimer and Miss Emma B. Behm were united in marriage. Both are members of the M. E. Church. Mrs. Northeimer was a daughter of Jacob Behm, of Friedensburg, Pennsylvania.

John E. Northeimer, of the firm of Northeimer & Albrecht, practical plasterers, is a son of Nicholas J. Northeimer. He was born Jan. 15, 1865, at Bald Eagle, Centre county, and was only four years old when his father settled in Reading. He attended school in the Ninth and Laurel street school building and on leaving it took up the trade of plastering. He began in Reading but finished in Philadelphia, where he worked two years. Returning home he was employed as a journeyman for a time, and then in 1896 became one of the firm of G. H. Pearson & Co., a partnership which continued four years. For another four he worked again as a journeyman for Lambert & Rehr, after which, in 1901, he went into business for himself once more, with George Albrecht as a partner. They do a very large business, being among the leading men of the city in their line of work, and have handled such contracts as the large hotel, at Ninth and Penn streets, Clouser's Hotel, St. Paul's Memorial School, Grace Evangelical Church and St. Joseph's Hospital, besides doing all the work for the well-known builder, W. A. Sharp. In the last three years they have plastered 200 houses for him alone. The firm employs regularly from fifteen to twenty skilled men.

John E. Northeimer married Miss Mary Ann Krick, daughter of Henry and Matilda (Hetrick) Krick. Four children have been born to them, Charles Walter, James Clinton, Florence May, and Alva Frances. The family resides at No. 32 North Tenth street. Mr. Northeimer has been quite active in politics for the Democratic party, was assessor of the Eighth ward for three years and also served on the board. He is a member of the First Reformed Church. His name is on the membership roll of four fraternal orders, the Red Men, the Eagles, Sons of America and the Royal Arcanum. Mr. Northeimer is a fine business man and stands well among his associates and his many friends.


NUNEMACHER, LLOYD M.

p. 1349

Surnames: NUNEMACHER, MILLER, HENNE, RHODES, HIESTER, KEIM, WELLS, STITZER

Lloyd M. Nunemacher, who is engaged in an extensive contracting business in Reading, is one of the leaders in the ranks of the Democratic party in Reading, and has been favorably mentioned as candidate for the office of sheriff of Berks county. Mr. Nunemacher was born Sept. 2, 1863, in Upper Bern township, Berks county, son of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Miller) Nunemacher.

Jacob Nunemacher, the grandfather of Lloyd, was a well-to-do farmer of Berks county, and an influential Democrat. He married Lovina Henne, and to them were born two children: Benjamin, and Jacob, who is now living at Tower City, Pa. Benjamin Nunemacher, an uncle of Benjamin the father of Lloyd, was a State Senator on the Democratic ticket and served his constituents at the State Capitol in 1868. Benjamin Nunemacher, father of Lloyd, was a carpenter by trade, an occupation which he followed all of his life. He died in 1887, aged forty-eight years, in the faith of the Lutheran Church. In politics he was a Democrat. To Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Nunemacher were born these children: Rosa, who married Luther Rhodes; Clayton J., a blacksmith of Reading; Katie, who married Simon Hiester of Chester Co., Pa.; Sally, who married Paul Keim, of Pittsburg; Charles F., in the employ of the Philadelphia & Reading Company, Reading; John, employed with Dives, Pomeroy & Stewart; Maggie, who resides with her mother on the old homestead; and Lloyd.

Lloyd M. Nunnemacher was educated in the common schools of Bern and Centre townships, and worked at farming for four years, after which he engaged in coal mining from 1877 to 1883. In the latter year he came to Reading and apprenticed himself to the carpenter's trade with Wesley Wells, serving five years. He then engaged with the Reading planing mill (Fink & Huyett), and continued with this firm until 1899 when the business was dissolved and since that time Mr. Nunemacher has been engaged in contracting for himself. He employs on an average five men, but at times has as many as fifteen to twenty men on his pay list. He is well and favorably known in Reading, especially in the Fifth ward; where he has resided for sixteen years, and where he owns a home at No. 233 South Third street. Mr. Nunemacher has been prominent in the Democratic party for a number of years. He has been a member of the school board for eight years, has served as a delegate to thirteen county, four State and three city conventions, and has ever been active in public life. His fraternal connections are with the P. O. S. of A., with which he has been affiliated for the past twenty-six years; the I. O. R. M., Juniata Tribe, No. 74; and Reading Castle, No. 49, K. G. E., of which he is a charter member, and an officer for twenty-one years. In religious belief Mr. Nunemacher and his family are connected with the Lutheran Church.,

Mr. Nunemacher was married March 24, 1887, to Miss Catherine Stitzer, the estimable daughter of Augustus Stitzer, and to this union there have been born three daughters: Rosie M., Florence C., and M. Ruth.


NYCE, PERCIVAL C.

p. 807

Surnames: NYCE, COPE, PRICE, CLEMMER, REED, ANTHONY, GOODMAN, GUTH, TREGO, BENSON

Percival C. Nyce, who for a number of years was engaged in the produce and commission business in Reading, is now living retired in this city. Mr. Nyce was born Oct. 22, 1839, in Marlborough township, Montgomery Co., Pa., son of Samuel and Eliza (Cope) Nyce.

George Nyce, grandfather of Percival C., resided on the old homestead in Marlborough township, where he died at the age of sixty years, his wife, who had been a Miss Price, passing away in her ninetieth year. They were members of the German Baptist Brethren Church. Their children were: John; Daniel; Samuel; Joel; Jesse; Katie (m. a Clemmer); Elizabeth (m. a Reed). In politics Mr. Nyce was a Whig..

Samuel Nyce was born on the homestead in Marlborough township, and there followed farming many years, removing to Reading in 1853 to engage in the produce business. He died in 1898, in his eighty-fifth year, and his wife died in 1893, when seventy--seven years old. They had seven children, six of whom lived to maturity, as follows: Mary (who m. an Anthony); Andora (m. a Goodman); Catherine (m. a Guth); Percival C.; Sylvester, and Calvin S. The father of these children was a member of the Baptist Church, while Mrs. Nyce belonged to the Reformed denomination.

Percival C. Nyce was educated in the common schools of Montgomery county and later those of Reading, and as a boy worked in the commission house of his father, with whom he later went into partnership, this connection lasting from 1860 until 1865, when Percival C. Nyce went to Philadelphia, where be engaged in the business on his own account. From that city be went to New York, thence to Chicago, and later to Mount Carroll, Ill., whence he returned in 1873 to Reading, forming a partnership with his brother-in-law and his brother, Calvin. In this connection Mr. Nyce continued until ill health forced his retirement from active life in 1888.

On Aug. 4, 1859, Mr. Nyce married, at Milton, Pa., Cecelia E. Trego, and their son, Harry E., married (first) Ella Benson, had two children: Percival C., Jr. and Elsie C., and (second) m. Rosie Guth. Percival C. Nyce is a member of the German Baptist Church.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:56:38 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.