Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

MOULD, JONATHAN

p. 704

Surnames: MOULD, CHANDLER, BELL, DOUGLAS

Jonathan Mould, merchant at Reading since 1871, was born in Orange Picture of Jonathan Mouldcounty, N.Y., near Newburg, Feb. 20, 1847, and educated in the pay schools of the vicinity and at the Montgomery Academy. He was reared on his father's farm during the course of his education until he was eighteen years old, when he went to Newburg and entered the large dry-goods store of A. K.. Chandler as a salesman, and he continued there seven years. During the later years he assisted Mr. Chandler in establishing and operating a chain of dry-goods stores in New York and Pennsylvania. In this capacity, he was sent to Reading, Pa., in January, 1871, and after operating the store for over a year it was sold to Schofield & Co.

Mr. Mould, during this interval, having come to appreciate Reading as a business center, remained with the new firm, and assisted in the management of the store until January, 1875, when he embarked in business for himself. He established a department store at No. 325 Penn street, and in three years moved into larger quarters at No. 645 Penn street, where he continued with increasing success for twelve years. In 1890, he purchased the two adjoining premises on the east, Nos. 647-649, and upon erecting a large four-story brick store building, 30 feet wide by 270 feet deep, moved into the new quarters, where he has since been conducting a department store with upward of a hundred employees, and a wholesale and retail trade which reaches into the surrounding districts and adjoining counties.

In 1887, his brother-in-law, George M. Bell (after being employed in the store for ten years), was admitted as a partner, and since then the business has been carried on under the name of J. Mould & Co. Mr. Mould has been identified for some years with he Farmer's National Bank of Reading, the Neversink Bank, and a number of industrial enterprises, serving in each of them as one of the directors.

In 1871 Mr. Mould married Julia E. Bell, daughter of Dr. William P. Bell, a prominent physician of Fishkill-on-the-Hudson, N.Y. They are members of the Trinity Lutheran Church at Reading, having been identified with this church since 1871.

Mr. Mould's father was John Mould, of Orange county, N.Y., where he cultivated a farm for many years until his decease in 1888, at the age of seventy-five years. He married Emily Douglas (a daughter of Isaac Douglas, of Catskill, N.Y., where he taught school in the local Academy, and died a young man).

His grandfather, was Jonathan Mould (after whom Mr. Mould was named); also a farmer of the same place for many years until his decease in 1855 at the age of seventy-three years. He was a lineal descendant of Christoffel Mould, who emigrated from Holland about 1712 and settled at Kingston, N.Y. Several of Mr. Mould's direct ancestors were actively engaged in the Revolution, and they have been honorably mentioned in Ruttenber's History of Orange county, N.Y. His mother was a lineal descendant of William Douglas, who emigrated from Scotland in 1640 and settled at Boston, Massachusetts.


MOUNTZ, HENRY

pg. 1542

Surnames: MOUNTZ, WENRICH, SCHELL, MOYER, WILHELM, WERNER, GRETH, REIFSNYDER, FROMM, SNYDER, HECK, ZECHMAN

Henry Mountz, now a retired citizen of Robesonia, has passed all his life in Heidelberg township, having been born there June 21, 1844, above Womelsdorf. The family is an old one in Berks county. Joseph Mountz, great-grandfather of Henry, was a taxable in Heidelberg township as early as 1759, being assessed as a single man. He had a brother George, who died in 1800, the year his will was entered on record in the court-house, a son, John G., being the executor of the estate.

George Mountz, son of Joseph, was born about 1787, and died in 1882, in the ninety-sixth year of his age. He was a laborer, and lived in Heidelberg township, in the vicinity of Womelsdorf. He is buried at the Corner Church in that township. His wife was a Wenrich, and their family consisted of six children, namely: Isaac, who lived and died at Womelsdorf; William; John, who settled in Luzerne county; Daniel, who lived in Lower Berks county; George; and Catharine, who died young.

George Mountz, son of George and father of Henry, was born in Heidelberg, May 4, 1824, and was there reared to farming, which occupation he followed throughout his active years. His educational opportunities were limited, as he was allowed to attend the subscription school at Womelsdorf, the only available place of learning, for but a month or tow during the winters of his early boyhood. The text-books were the German reader and the New Testament, and study was confined to the three R's. He engaged in farming on his own account, and still owns a farm in North Heidelberg township, though he is now living retired. In spite of many years of hard work he is a well-preserved man. He makes his home with his grandson, George P. Schell. Mr. Mountz, married Mary Moyer, who was born in 1831, daughter of William Moyer, and died in December, 1899, at the age of sixty-eight years. Three children were born to this union: Henry, who is mentioned below; Sarah, who m. Isaac Schell, a farmer in North Heidelberg township, and had a large family; and Emma, who m. James Wilhelm, a farmer in Perry, Iowa.

Henry Mountz was reared upon his father's farm and attended the free schools in his locality. The year he became of age, 1865, he began farming on his own account in Heidelberg township, following that work until he retired, in the year 1903. He did well, and is living in comfort in what was formerly the Jefferson Werner residence in Robesonia, at the corner of Main and Robeson streets, which he bought in 1898 and moved into in the spring of 1903.

In 1865 Mr. Mountz married Susan Greth, daughter of Emanuel and Susan (Reifsnyder) Greth, and six sons have been born to them, namely: Lewis m. Mary Fromm, and they have two children, Mabel and Ralph; William m. Ida Snyder and they have two children, Roy and Ella; Calvin died at the age of eighteen years; Harvey m. Lizzie Heck and they have two children, Lloyd and Lewis; Harry m. Lizzie Zechman and they have three children, Beulah, John and Edna; Arch graduated from the Keystone State Normal School, class of 1905, and is now engaged in teaching at Quakertown, Pennsylvania.

Mr. Mountz is a Reformed member of St. Paul's Church of Robesonia, and has served both as deacon and as elder.


MOYER, ADAM F.

p. 1650

Surnames: MOYER, FOX, HOFFEDITZ, BAYARD, GAUL, GARDNER, TROUP, KERSCHOFF, GOODWIN, GRISWITE

Adam F. Moyer, one of Lower Heidelberg's most highly esteemed citizens, who is now living retired at Wernersville, Pa., is a veteran of the Civil war, throughout which he served bravely and faithfully. He was born Nov. 22, 1838, son of Jacob and Catharine (Fox) Moyer.

Daniel Moyer, grandfather of Adam F., was a resident of Spring township, Berks county, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits. He had a family of seven sons: Henry; Jacob; Daniel; Isaac, William; Abraham; and John.

Jacob Moyer, father of Adam F., was born in Alsace township, Berks county, but spent all of his life in Spring township, where he died in April, 1877, after a long and useful life there. He is buried at Hain's Church. Mr. Moyer married Catharine Fox, and to this union there were born the following children: Sarah; Henry; Adam F.; Isaac; Jacob; Wallace; and Solomon.

Adam F. Moyer attended the schools of Lower Heidelberg and Spring townships, after leaving which he engaged in farm work. While thus engaged, the Civil war broke out, and on July 30, 1861, he enlisted from Berks county and was mustered into the United States service at Reading, Pa., in Company L, 1st Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, to serve three years under Captain J. A. Hoffeditz and Colonel George D. Bayard. He shared the fortunes of his regiment in the battles of Drainsville, Dec. 20, 1861; Swashburg, June 12, 1861; Woodstock, June 2, 1861; Harrisonburg, June 6, 1862; Rapidan, July 7, 1862, where he was injured by his horse falling upon him breaking his right arm, the horse having been shot from under him. At another time he was slightly wounded, but remained with his regiment all the time, and engaged at Cedar Mountain, Aug. 9, 1862; Beverly Ford, Aug 1, 1862; Thoroughfare Gap, Aug. 20, 1862; Bull Run, Aug. 30, 1862, Fredericksburg, Dec. 13, 1862, Brandy Station, June 9, 1863; Beverly Ford, June 9, 1863, Rappahannock, Aug. 13, 1863, Mine Kern, Nov. 7 1863; and New Hope Church, Nov. 28, 1863. He was discharged Dec. 31, 1863, at Warrington, Va., and re-enlisted as a veteran in the same company and regiment under Capt. H. Gaul and Col. D. Gardner, to serve three years or during the war, and was engaged at Todd's Tavern, May 8, 1864; Ashland, May 11-30, 1864 Yellow Tavern, May 11, 1864; St. Mary's Church, June 22, 1864; Fredilliam Station, June 11, 1864; Hawes Shop, June 2, 1864; Reams Station, June 22-29, 1864, Petersburg, July 30, 1864; Lee's Mills, July 30, 1864; Cradle Hill, August 14, 1864; Weldon Rock, Dec. 7-11, 1874. He was honorably discharged Aug. 7, 1865, at Louisville, Ky., at the close of the war.

After the completion of his service in the army, Mr. Moyer again engaged in farm work, but subsequently entered the employ of the Reading Iron Works, working in their blast furnace for sixteen years. In 1900 he located in Wernersville, where he now lives retired. In politics he is a faithful Republican, and in religion he is a member of Hain's Church.

On Aug. 11, 1866, Mr. Moyer married Annie Troup, daughter of John and Mary (Kerschoff) Troup, and to this union there were born three children: Sallie E., Katie and Alvin, the last two of whom died young. Sallie E. married George Goodwin, of Reading, and to them four children have been born: Florence, who married Edward Griswite; Hammon C., Howard D. and Edward A.


MOYER, ALFRED K.

p. 1066

Surnames: MOYER, KEPLER, BAUMAN, HEINRICH, STAUFFER, BOWMAN, BECHTEL, DIEROLF, BEIDLER, WEAVER, FISHER, WETZEL, SELL, MARKLEY, SHOEMAKER

Alfred K. Moyer, merchant at Barto, Berks county, was born June 6, 1874, near Dillingersville, Lehigh Co., Pa., son of Levi B. and Elmira (Kepler) Moyer. The family has been settled in Bucks county for several generations.

Johannes (John) Moyer, great-great-grandfather of Alfred K. Moyer, came from Springfield, Bucks county, to Colebrookdale township, Berks county, settling on the road leading from New Berlinville to the Hill Church. He was a farmer by occupation. He married a member of the Landis family, and they had a family of ten children, namely: William, who had seven daughters, but no sons; Heinrich; Martin, born Dec. 11, 1782, died Feb. 3, 1863 (m. Susanna Bauman, 1787-1858, and had eight sons and two daughters); Jacob; Catherine m. Heinrich Stauffer); Elizabeth (m. Isaac Bowman); Anna (m. Georg Bechtel); Molly (m. Isaac Stauffer and had thirteen children); John (m. a Dierolf); and Abraham.

Abraham Moyer, son of Johannes, lived near Spinnerstown, Bucks county, owning a farm there. He also had a sawmill, but as the only propelling power at his command was water, and there was a sparsity of that, it was known as the "dry" sawmill. His wife's maiden name was Beidler, and they were the parents of six children, among whom were Abraham, John B., Christian (of Doylestown, Pa.) and Henry B. (of Quakertown, Pa.).

John B. Moyer, son of Abraham, was born in 1822 and died in April, 1904, aged eighty-two years; he was buried on Good Friday, at the Mennonite meeting-house near Steinsburg, in the upper end of Bucks county. He was a Mennonite in religious faith. He lived in Milford township, Bucks county, where he owned a large farm. He married Hannah Beidler, and their six children were: Levi B.; John B., of Springfield township, Bucks county; Abraham, of Sumneytown, Montgomery county; Henry, of Center Valley, Lehigh county; Mary, who is married to Samuel E. Weaver; and Annie, wife of William Fisher.

Levi B. Moyer, son of John B. Moyer, was born Dec. 3, 1852, near Spinnerstown, in Bucks county, and he has been a lifelong farmer, his home being in Milford township, Bucks county. He and his family are members of the Lutheran Church at Spinnerstown, which he has served as deacon. He married Elmira Kepler, daughter of Willoughby and Marietta (Wetzel) Kepler, of Lehigh county, and to them was born one son, Alfred K.

Alfred K. Moyer was born June 6, 1874, near Dillingersville, Lehigh county, and was reared in Milford township, Bucks county, upon the farm, meantime attending the public schools there. When twenty-one years old he began working in the creamery in Milford Square, Bucks county, where he was employed for one year, engaging in that business for himself in the year 1900, at Kumry, Bucks county, which is two miles from Milford Square. He continued in business there for seven years, handling 2,000 pounds of milk per day and conducting a store also, besides serving as assistant postmaster for seven years. In the spring of 1908 Mr. Moyer came to Barto, Berks county, where he has a mercantile business, having succeeded the firm of B. F. Sell & Son. For one year he also conducted the creamery at this place, but he is now giving his attention exclusively to the merchandise business, in which line he has an extensive patronage. He carries a full line of general merchandise and has shown himself to be a man of judgment in all his dealings with his business associates.

Mr. Moyer married Feb. 18, 1893, Miss Flora S. Markley, daughter of Joshua H. and Elizabeth (Shoemaker) Markley, of Milford township, Bucks county. Four children have been born to them, Florence, Stanley, and William and Thomas (twins). Mr. Moyer is a Lutheran in religious belief, holding membership in Scheetz's Church, in Bucks county; his wife is a member of the Reformed denomination, belonging to Trinity Church, at Spinnerstown. He is a Republican in politics.


MOYER, CHARLES GERHARD


p. 1210 Surnames: MOYER, GERHARD, LENTZ

Charles Gerhard Moyer, born Jan. 20, 1875, at Stouchsburg, Marion township, Berks Co., Pa., son of Isaac L. and Sarah R. (Gerhard) Moyer. He is at the date hereof (July 26, 1909) unmarried.

Mr. Moyer is an attorney at law, having been admitted to practice at the Berks County Bar Nov. 12, 1900. He is a member with Oliver Lentz, Esq., of the law firm of Lentz & Moyer, located at No. 534 Washington street, Reading, Pa. He is at present Solicitor to the Reading School District.

Mr. Moyer spent his youth at Stouchsburg. He is the only son among five surviving children. His father, a veteran of the War of the Rebellion, and a school teacher before and after the establishment of the public school system, was a prominent man in the village, being the proprietor of the "American House," a well-known inn on the turnpike road between Reading and Harrisburg, and also conducting a large general store.

The general education of Mr. Moyer was acquired in the public schools and at the Millersville State Normal School, from which he was graduated in 1895. He then registered as a law-student in the office of Rieser & Schaeffer, at the same time attending the Dickinson School of Law, from which he received the degree of Bachelor of Laws in the class of 1899.

The subject of this sketch takes pride in the fact that he taught the high-school of his township for two terms, and that for three years he taught in the night-schools of the city of Reading shortly after these schools were founded and at the time when their success was in doubt.


MOYER FAMILY

p. 714

Surnames: MOYER, MEYER, MAYER, WOLFF, STETLER, DEISSINGER, BELLEMAN, MILLER, FORNWALD, ERNST, NOECKER, HOLTZMAN, BOMBERGER, LIVINGOOD, LAUCK, SAVAGE, RUTH, GRUBER, KEISER, FILBERT, KLOPP, BECHTEL, KALBACH, HUNSINGER, NOECKER

Few families of Heidelberg township can trace more clearly an old and honorable ancestry than that of Moyer, reaching away back to the days of religious persecution in 1708. The Moyer (Meyer or Mayer) family was one of the many German Palatinate families of immigrants who in 1708 and 1709 went to England, whence 4,000 persons were given transportation, by Queen Anne, to New York, where they landed Dec. 25, 1709, and June 14, 1710. On the passage and immediately after landing 1,700 of these immigrants died. The survivors camped in tents which they had brought with them, on Governor's Island, and here they remained until autumn, when about 1,400 removed to Livingston Manor, 100 miles up the Hudson river. Being unjustly oppressed by Governor Hunter, and seeing famine and starvation staring them in the face, 150 settlers went to the Schoharie Valley, some sixty miles northwest of Livingston Manor, whither they traveled through three feet of snow, in the unbroken woods, hauling their baggage on rudely made sleds. At Schoharie they improved the lands which had been granted them by Queen Anne, but about ten years later, owning to a defect in their titles, they were deprived of the property which they had labored so hard to acquire.

Having heard of the just and liberal treatment given to settlers in the Province of Pennsylvania, thirty-three families removed thereto in the spring of 1723, and settled in the "Tulpahaca," which was at that time the furthest inhabited part of the province, northwest from Philadelphia. In subsequent years more than 100 other families followed them and settled in the northwestern part of Berks county, and among these were the Moyers, or Meyers. In 1759, when the first federal tax was levied in Berks county, the following Meyers were taxables of Tulpehocken township, and paid their tax as follows: Rudolph Meyer, twelve pounds; John Meyer, eight pounds, and Philip Meyer, three pounds.

In Heidelberg township was one John Moyer, who paid ten pounds tax that year. It is a family tradition that the ancestor of this particular branch of the family was John or Johannes Meyer, and that he had seven children. In the courthouse is his will, which was probated Dec. 28, 1765, the year of his death, he being then a resident of Tulpehocken township. The executors of his estate were his two sons, George and Henry, and in it were the following provisions: George was to receive the homestead of 120 acres, and the "still," and was to pay his brothers and sisters 200 pounds; Henry was given the mill and house and 128 acres of land. The other children were: Anna Barbara, m. to George Wolff; Eva Catherine, m. to a Stetler; Gideon; Catherine, m. to a Deissinger; and Valentine. By the testator, his "beloved son-in-law, George Wolff," was made guardian over the children of Catherine Deissinger and Valentine Moyer.

George Moyer, the great-grandfather of John E., and Mahlon A., of Heidelberg township, was born in Tulpehocken township, Berks county, and was buried at Host Church. He was a farmer by occupation, and owned the property now in the possession of Peter Moyer, Sr., a grandson. His children were: John, Michael, Peter, Heinrich, Jacob, Daniel, Mrs. John Holtzman and Mrs. John Bomberger.

Daniel Moyer, son of George, was born Dec. 2, 1782, and died March 18, 1850. He was a farmer of Heidelberg township, where he had a ninety-five acre property and he and his wife are buried at the Corner Church, of which they were members. Mr. Moyer m. Susan Belleman, born Oct. 5, 1781, who died Dec. 7, 1853, and to them were born eight children, as follows: John; Mrs. Daniel Miller; Mrs. George Moyer; Daniel; Elizabeth and Catherine, who died unmarried; Isaac; and Susan, m. to George Fornwald.

Daniel Moyer, son of Daniel, was born Nov. 3, 1814, in Heidelberg township, and died Jan. 7, 1881. He was a lifelong farmer, owning and operating a tract of eighty-two acres. He was a prominent Democrat, holding the offices of school director, supervisor and delegate to many county conventions. He and his wife are buried at Corner Church, of which they were members. Mr. Moyer married Catherine Ernst, born Aug. 19, 1815, who died in April, 1891. To this union were born thirteen children, namely: Adam, born March 28, 1838; Emanuel, Jan. 17, 1840; Sarah, July 21, 1841; Amelia, March 18, 1843; John E.; Jeremiah, Nov. 2, 1846; Amanda S., Nov. 17, 1848; Daniel J., June 22, 1850; Isabella C., Dec. 15, 1851; Aaron W., Feb. 18, 1853; Mahlon A.; Albert H., April 16, 1857, and Julius J., Sept. 26, 1860.

John E. Moyer was born April 19, 1845, in Heidelberg township, where he received limited educational advantages, attending school about two or three months a year, the length of the school term at that time. He was reared to agricultural pursuits and until seventeen years of age worked on the home farm. On Sept. 6, 1862, Mr. Moyer enlisted in Company H, 55th Pa. V. I., to serve three years; was promoted June 3, 1864, to corporal for gallant conduct at Cold Harbor, and to sergeant Aug. 6, 1864, for rolling a shell out of a trench where his company was lying, thus saving the lives of many of his comrades. He served in some of the fiercest engagements of the war, and was honorably discharged June 11, 1865, with a gallant record.

On his return from his country's service, Mr. Moyer resumed his labors upon the farm for one year, and then was employed with a railroad repair crew for a like period. For another year he worked on a farm in Wooster, Wayne Co., Ohio, to which he returned for a short time after a tour of the Western states. In 1869, Mr. Moyer r turned to the parental roof, where he continued to work until his marriage, when he began housekeeping at the Robesonia furnace, where he remained five years, his time being spent in earnest, hard labor. For the next nine years he operated his father's homestead, after which he removed to a 200-acre farm in Marion township, Berks county, but after three years removed to the Dr. L. A. Livingood farm of 165 acres, which he conducted for five years. For eight years Mr. Moyer successfully farmed the Jacob Lauck 145-acre farm in Heidelberg township, and in 1901 he purchased the Savage farm in Lower Heidelberg township, a tract of 204 acre, which he cultivated for two years and subsequently retired, at which time he erected a fine frame residence on Main Street, Robesonia. He was also the owner of a farm of ninety-nine acres in North Heidelberg township, which he traded for the property at No. 236 South Third street, Reading, on which is located a three-story brick house of fourteen rooms.

In politics Mr. Moyer is a strong Democrat. He has been a delegate to numerous congressional and judicial conventions, and has never known defeat. He has been school director in Marion township for three years and a like period in Heidelberg township, where he has also been supervisor. In the spring of 1907 he was appointed Sate health officer, No. 266, of Heidelberg, North Heidelberg and Marion townships. Mr. Moyer is a popular comrade of G. A. R. Post No. 471, Myerstown. He and his family attend St. Daniel's (Corner) Church, of the Lutheran denomination, of which he was deacon, elder and trustee for five years.

In 1871 Mr. Moyer was married to Amanda Ruth, daughter of Francis Ruth, and to them twelve children have been born: Wilson, Maggie, Minnie, John, Allen, Ezra, Irwin, Harry, Samuel (who lives in Valparaiso, Ind.), Susan, Mae and Sarah.

Mahlon A. Moyer, junior member of the mercantile firm of Gerhard & Moyer, of Robesonia, was born Oct. 3, 1856, in Robesonia, was educated in the common schools of Heidelberg township, later attended Womelsdorf Academy with such schoolmates as M. A. Gruber, H. P. Keiser, Dr. H. F. Livingood, John Filbert and Morgan B. Klopp, and subsequently attended the Millersville State Normal School for four terms. For the five succeeding terms, Mr. Moyer taught school in Heidelberg township, and for two terms in Lancaster county. He was transcribing clerk for three years in the office of the recorder of deeds, under Isaac M. Bechtel, and in 1886, during President Cleveland's first administration, he was appointed a storekeeper and gauger for Berks county, an office which he held for four years. Mr. Moyer then removed to Mount Aetna, where he and Mr. Nathaniel Kalbach purchased the Hunsinger farm, on which was an old established distillery, and they conducted both enterprises for two years together, when Mr. Moyer sold his interests to his partner and purchased the stand of H. W. Filbert, of Robesonia, which place he conducted eight years. Because of deaths in the family, Mr. Moyer sold out, and in 1904 purchased the interest of Henry R. Miller in the firm of Miller & Gerhard, and has since been associated with this company, which has been Gerhard & Moyer.

In politics Mr. Moyer is a Democrat, and has been active in the success of his party in this section. He is a charter member of Mt. Penn Castle, No. 51, K. G. E., of Reading, which was organized in 1884. He is a member of St. Daniel's (Corner) Evangelical Lutheran Church, of near Robesonia, as was also his wife.

In 1888, Mr. Moyer married Ella H. Noecker, born May 6, 1868, who died June 30, 1899, daughter of Israel Noecker, a merchant of Millersville, Pa. The only child of this union, Edgar M., died in infancy.


MOYER FAMILY

p. 996

Surnames: MOYER, LAUCKS, HOYER, MOUNTS, SCHELL, BRICKER, SMITH, BOLLMAN, HEBERLING, BROWN, HAYS, LEVAN, MOHN, REDCAY

The first of the Moyer family of whom there is any definite record is William Moyer, born in 1801 on one of the Moyer homesteads, in Marion township. He was a resident of Womelsdorf, and in his younger days he was a teamster who frequently made trips to Philadelphia carrying hides and produce and bringing back merchandise. Later he worked as a farmer for David Laucks and the Grubers. His wife was Hannah Hoyer, sister of the late Mayor Joseph Hoyer of Reading. She was born in 1809, and died in 1884. William Moyer and wife had fifteen children, among whom were: Mary, m. to George Mounts, who survives her, living at Klopps Store at the age of ninety; George and Percival, twins; John and William, twins; Elias and James, twins; Ella, m. to Allen Schell, of Reading; Caroline, m. to David Bricker, of Wernersville; and Eliza m. to Daniel Smith.

Percival Moyer, son of William, was born in the Tulpehocken section of Berks county, Feb. 15, 1831, and died at Reading March 15, 1904. By trade he was a cabinet maker, but later in life he was engaged in a produce business at Womelsdorf. In 1892 he came to Reading where he lived a semi-retired life until his death. He was a Lutheran in religious life and is buried at Womelsdorf. He was twice married. His first wife, Eliza Bollman, daughter of George Bollman of Spring township, died Sept. 6, 1868, aged twenty-eight. Their children were: George L.; and William J., who died in infancy. The second wife of Percival Moyer was Malinda Heberling, of Meckville, and they had three children; Clara m. Thomas Brown, of Reading; Tillie m. Harry Hays, of Newark, N. J.; Ella m. Arthur Levan, of Reading.

George L. Moyer, son of Percival and Eliza (Bollman), was born at Womelsdorf, Berks county, June 1, 1862. He attended the public schools of his neighborhood, and obtained a fair education. When fifteen years of age he learned the trade of hat making from his uncle George Bollman, at Adamstown, and has followed it ever since. He came to Reading in 1890, and commenced his business life here by working for J. G. Mohn & Bros., hat manufacturers, where he has since continued.

Mr. Moyer is a member of the Hatters' Union; Independent Order of Americans, No. 371; P. O. S. of A., No. 28; Sr. O. U. A. M., No. 60; F. & A. M. Lodge No. 62; Wyomissing Council, No. 1584, Royal Arcanum. In politics he is a Republican and he served as school director and as auditor of the Adamstown borough while living in that community.

In 1884 Mr. Moyer was married to Mary Jane Mohn, daughter of William and Sarah (Redcay) Mohn, and granddaughter of Wilhelm Mohn, of Adamstown. They have one son, William Mohn Moyer, born in 1885, who graduated from the Reading high school, class of 1904, and is now a clerk in the Reading Hardware Company's establishment.


MOYER FAMILY

p. 1274-75

Surnames: MOYER, MYER, MEYER, BLIEM, BRUMBACH, DEYSHER, ESHBACH, GERHARD, HENRICH, HESS, KRAMER, MINNER, MUTHART, NESTER, OBERHOLTZER, REITENAUER, YODER

On April 27, 1790, (I) Martin Moyer (also spelled Myer) made his last will and testament, and he died the following year. His will is recorded in Will Book A, p. 212, and his wife Magdalena, and his brother George, were the executors. The only children mentioned in the will were George, Jacob and Conrad, of whom George was the eldest, and Jacob second. It is certain that there were several other children.

The name appears in the early tax lists. In 1800 in Colebrookdale township were the following: John, $1.68; Conrad, $1.24; John, $.19; Samuel, $.12; and Jacob (estate), $.6. In 1805: John, $7.12; Conrad, $2.39; and Isaac, $.82. In 1809: John, $5.43; Conrad, $1.82; Isaac, $.59; and Martin, $.21. In 1805 two Moyers paid taxes in Earl township: John, $1.43; and Abraham, $.25; and in that same township in 1809 Henry Moyer paid $1.75.

In April, 1829, Abraham Moyer made his will, and died the following October in Hereford township, leaving his wife Anna and children as follows: John, Abraham, Francis, Catharine (Gerhard, Esther (born 1784, died 1880, m. Daniel Nester) and Nancy (m. Jacob Nester).

Casper Moyer (also spelled Meyer) was a taxable in Hereford township in 1758, and again in 1759, in the latter year paying 14 pounds. He is thought to have been the ancestor of many of the name in the southeastern part of the county. Among his sons were: Jacob, in 1744, an innkeeper in Colebrookdale township, and the father of a son, Jacob; George; and Martin. Tradition says that the Berks county Moyers spring from a common ancestor.

(II) Conrad Moyer, son of Martin and Magdalena, in 1791 lived on his father's farm in Colebrookdale township, as is indicated by his father's will. His name appears in the above lists as a taxable of that township.

(III) Joseph Moyer, son of Conrad, was born in 1791, and he lived in Colebrookdale township, 1-1/2 miles northwest of Bechtelsville, where he followed his trade of harness making, and also engaged in farming. He died in 1861, and is buried at Hill Church, to which he and his family belonged. He married Elizabeth Reitenauer, who was born at the store at Hill Church. Their children were: Charles; and Daniel, who lived in Hanover township, Montgomery Co., Pa., and had children--David, Elizabeth, Mary, William and Amandus.

(IV) Charles Moyer, son of Joseph and Elizabeth, was born in Colebrookdale township on the old Moyer homestead, in 1825, and he died in the spring of 1907. He was a farmer during his active days, but the last 30 years of his life he lived retired at Bechtelsville. He owned the old homestead of 90 acres in Colebrookdale township, and this is now owned by his son, Tobias H. His ballot was cast in support of the Democratic party, and for some years he served as school director. He and his family were members of Hill Church until Bechtelsville church was built. Of the latter he was one of the organizers and a liberal contributor. He helped to organize the Hill Church Cemetery Company, and at the time of his death was one of its trustees. He was well and favorably known throughout his district. He married Anna Henrich, daughter of Jacob and Anna (Muthart) Henrich. She died in December, 1906, in her 78th year. To Charles and Anna (Henrich) Moyer were born the following children: Ephraim, of New Berlinville, Pa.; Joseph H., of Bechtelsville; Elizabeth (m. Alfred Brumbach); Tobias H., of Bechtelsville; William, of Colebrookdale township; Jeremiah H.; Frank, of New Berlinville, formerly county commissioner of Berks county; Olivia (m. Frank Minner, of Allentown, Pennsylvania).

(V) Joseph H. Moyer, son of Charles, and now vice president of the Farmers National Bank, Boyertown, was born on the old Moyer homestead, in Colebrookdale township, March 4, 1849. He attended the public schools, and was reared to farm work. As a young man he learned the cigar maker's trade, and followed it for two years. In the fall of 1872 he began in the produce business, and this he continued for five years with great success. In 1878 he opened up a coal, flour and feed store in Bechtelsville, and enjoyed a good trade until 1889, at the same time buying and selling lime, often as much as 40,000 bushels annually. His lime was sold in Lower Berks and Upper Montgomery counties. Mr. Moyer is an excellent business man, and has considerable executive ability. He was one of the founders of the Kensington Hygeia Ice Company of Philadelphia, which was founded in 1895; and he has since been one of its directors. He is a director and vice president of the Farmers National Bank, Boyertown.

In 1875 Mr. Moyer erected a large brick residence at the corner of Main and Chestnut streets, and that has since been his home. Beyond serving as the first treasurer of the borough of Bechtelsville, he has always declined to hold office. He is officially connected with Trinity Union Church, of Bechtelsvillle.

In January, 1873, Mr. Moyer married Annie B. Oberholtzer, daughter of John and Anna (Bliem) Oberholtzer, of Washington township. To this union were born three daughters, namely: Odelia, who died in childhood; Annie O.; and Orpha O. Mrs. Moyer and the daughters belong to the new school of the Mennonite church, having membership in Hereford church.

(V) Tobias H. Moyer, son of Charles and now owner of the Moyer homestead, was born in Colebrookdale township, Oct. 20, 1852. He attended township schools, and worked for his parents until 22 years of age, when he went to learn the carpenter's trade, following it four years. He then took tofarming on the Moyer homestead of 100 acres, and for 30 years he has given it his attention. He also owns a farm near Bechtelsville of 160 acres, which he has stocked and now farms it himself. Since 1888 he has carried on a butchering business. In 1889 he moved into Bechtelsville and has since resided there. For six years he has been a deacon in Bechtelsville Reformed Church, and for some years he served the vestry as treasurer.

On Oct. 2, 1875, Mr. Tobias married Emma R. Hess, daughter of David and Harietta (Yoder) Hess. She died Nov. 19, 1899, aged 44 years, 10 months, 18 days, and is buried at Hill Church. She passed away suddenly at church during communion service on Sunday morning. One daughter was born of this union, Eva May, born April 22, 1896. On March 30, 1901, Mr. Tobias married (second) Katie A. Kramer, born in Rockland township, July 21, 1879, daughter of Jonathan and Sarah (Deysher) Kramer. They have two children: Edna K., born Feb. 3, 1903; Sallie K., Aug. 28, 1904.

(V) Jeremiah H. Moyer, son of Charles and now a farmer and dairyman at Bechtelsville, was born in Colebrookdale township, July 14, 1856. He worked for his parents until he was 19, and then took to farming in his native township. After two years there he went to New Hanover, Montgomery county, where he farmed five years, and then located in Washington township, his home since 1884. For twelve years he lived in Bechtelsville, which he helped to incorporate into a borough. He was six years a member of the borough council. While living there he dealt to a large extent in horses and cattle. He made ten annual trips to western States to buy stock, and he has proved himself an excellent judge. In the spring of 1899 he moved upon the farm he now occupies. This consists of 87 acres of good land, all in fine condition. Mr. Moyer gives special attention to dairying, keeping about twenty head of cattle and shipping his milk daily to Philadelphia. In political affiliations Mr. Moyer is a Democrat, and since 1906 has been a school director. With his family he attends Bechtelsville Reformed Church.

On Aug. 19, 1876, Mr. Moyer married Emma B. Eshbach, daughter of George Eshbach, after whom Eshbach Crossing was named. To this union have been born the following family: Charles, who died in infancy; Emma, who married Charles Brumbach; Jesse, of Marshalltown, Iowa; Mabel; Warren; Elsie; Harry; and Frank.


MOYER FAMILY

p. 1296

Surnames: FRY, MOYER, HINKLE, SWARE, GIHL, KEITH, HASHER, SMITH, JOHNSON, SELL, ULRICH, STETLER, KINTZER, EBERLING, PRESTON, SHEARER

No history of Berks county, Pa., would be in any way complete without an extended notice of the Moyer family, which has been identified with its progress and development for many years. Among the leading representatives of this family are Nathaniel Moyer, a retired farmer, and his nephew William J. Moyer, both highly esteemed residents of Lower Heidelberg township.

Nathaniel Moyer was born Aug. 16, 1832, in Lancaster county, Pa., son of Philip and Mary (Fry) Moyer. Philip Moyer was born in Maiden-creek township, and lived at Cross keys, where he carried on distilling, his brother Leonard being a farmer and a cattle dealer of near Kutztown. He died at Cross Keys, and was buried at Host Church. In politics Mr. Moyer was a Democrat. He was twice married, and by his first wife had nine children, among whom were: John, Philip, Isaac and Esther, the latter of whom was married to a Mr. Hinkel. Philip Moyer was married (second) to Mary Fry, daughter of Jacob Fry, and they had these children: Nathaniel; Adam F.; Benneville; Harrison; Caroline, who married Longena Sware; Annie, who married Philip Gihl, of Dover, Ohio; and Rosa, who died unmarried.

In his youth Nathaniel Moyer engaged in farming on his father's property, and when twenty years old he learned the stone-mason's trade, which he has followed off and on all of his life. For four years he conducted a general store at Brownsville, in partnership with Michael Keith, and in 1877 he came to his present place of abode, where he devotes his seven acres of land to the cultivation of fine fruits. On Oct. 26, 1862, Mr. Moyer enlisted from Berks county in Company A, 167th P. V. I., as a private, earned the rank of corporal by meritorious conduct and later that of quartermaster sergeant. He participated in the engagements of the Army of the Potomac, and was honorably discharged at Reading, Aug. 12, 1863, which a war record of which any man might well be proud. On the expiration of his term of service to his country Mr. Moyer engaged in the store business aforementioned and after disposing of his interests therein purchased his present farm of ninety-eight acres of fertile land in Lower Heidelberg township, which he now has rented. Mr. Moyer, although long past man's allotted span of life, is in full possession of his faculties. He is a well-read man, is a pleasing conversationalist, and his reminiscences of army life are both entertaining and instructing. He has been very successful in his financial operations, and is now in comfortable circumstances. His political principles are those of the Democratic party, and he has served his township as assessor for three years and supervisor for one year. With his family he belongs to the Reformed denomination of the Swamp Church in Lancaster county.

On Nov. 19, 1861, Mr. Mover was united in marriage with Angelina Keith, born Aug. 24, 1840, daughter of Jacob Keith, and to this union there have been born these children: Sarah, who married Lewis Hasher, of Lower Heidelberg township; Eliza, who married George Eberling, of Lancaster county; Jacob, who is a painter of Lower Heidelberg township; Rachel, who married Rufus J. Kintzer; Levi, a truck farmer of near Wernersville; Harrison, who is engaged in operating his father's farm; and Nathaniel, who is carrying on operations in Lancaster county.

Adam F. Moyer, brother of Nathaniel and father of William J., was born Feb. 28, 1845, on his father's farm in Lower Heidelberg township, and until twenty-five years of age worked for his mother. After his marriage he rented the farm on which he now lives, and which he purchased in 1872, it consisting of forty-eight acres of good truck land. Mr. Moyer raises all kinds of small vegetables and disposes of them at West Reading market house, have Stands Nos. 69-70 at the Fourth and Penn street market. In 1889 Mr. Moyer remodeled the house on his property, and in 1893 erected a new barn, and the place now presents a very pleasing appearance. Mr. Moyer is a Republican in politics, but he has never aspired to public office.

On Nov. 13, 1870, Mr. Moyer was married to Janet Johnson, daughter of James and Janet (Smith) Johnson, and to this union there were born nine children: George P., who died aged eight years; William J.; Harry M., of Lower Heidelberg township; Adam J., who resides near Fritztown; John M., who lives at Fritztown; Joseph A., who makes his home with the father; Annie M., who married Milton Sell, a hatter of Lower Heidelberg township, has one child -- Florence J.; Misses Jennie and Lillie Ann, at home.

William J. Moyer was born on the Moyer homestead in Lower Heidelberg township July 25, 1872, and worked upon the home farm until twenty-two years of age, at which time he entered the employ of James H. Preston, owner and proprietor of "The Preston," a well-known and popular resort at South Mountain, near Wernersville. He has continued in Mr. Preston's employ to the present time, giving the utmost satisfaction. Mr. Moyer is a very capable man for such a position, as he is a "jack of all trades." In 1903 he erected a large frame residence on his truck farm of several acres on the south side of South Mountain, near the Preston, and here he has made his home to the present. Mr. Moyer has always been enterprising and progressive, and he is popular with all who have the pleasure of his acquaintance.

In November, 1895, William J. Moyer was united in marriage with Miss Mamie Ulrich, daughter of Daniel and Sarah (Stetler) Ulrich, the former of whom has been engaged in trucking with Solomon Shearer for more than a quarter of a century in Lower Heidelberg township. To Mr. And Mrs. Moyer there have been born five bright children, four daughters and one son, namely: Bertha, Lillie, Lizzie, Charles and Margaret. Mr. Moyer is a stanch Republican in politics, and has been active in the support of that great party in his Church of Lancaster county, being a member of the Reformed denomination.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:55:31 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.