Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

MONIER, WILLIAM S.

p. 1684

Surnames: MONIER, PHILLIPPI, HOLLOWAY, BARTLETT, CORNMAN, YOUNG, TREGO, FRICK

William S. Monier, a retired merchant of Reading, whose death occurred May 13, 1909, came from one of the oldest families in the city, and his ancestry can be traced back still farther to a family well known in French history before the settlement of America.

The paternal grandfather, Daniel Monier, lived and died in Reading, a cooper by trade. His wife had the name of Mary Phillippi, and while born in the same city, was descended from the famous Phillippi family. Their son, Henry W. Monier, born in Reading, passed his life there engaged in business as a contracting plasterer. He died in 1900, aged seventy-four. He married Mary A. Holloway, who died in 1884, aged eighty-four. She was a daughter of Samuel Holloway, a farmer of Amityville, Berks county. Their five children were: Henry A., who died at the age of nine years; Emily A., who died aged four years; Margaret H., Mrs. H. V. Bartlett, who died aged thirty-four; Mary A., wife of Rev. W. O. Cornman, who died when she was fifty-two years of age; and William S.

William S. Monier was born in Reading, July 18, 1839. His early education was acquired in the Reading public schools, and he later attended a boarding school at Amityville. When he reached an age to begin his active career in the world, he started as a machinist, but after working at that trade for a year, he went to Carlisle and learned carpentry, following that occupation until the breaking out of the Civil war. He enlisted in 1861 at the Carlisle Barracks as a private in the 4th U. S. Cavalry. He was one of the body guard for General Sherman, General Buell and General Rosencrans, and participated in all the battles of the Cumberland division up to that at Chickamauga, seeing nineteen months service in all. When his term of enlistment expired, Mr. Monier returned to Reading and became a clerk in the office of the collector of internal revenue, remaining there till the collectorship was abolished. His next business enterprise was the establishment of a confectionery store, which he conducted for six years. After closing that out he entered the service of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad for four years and then was employed for twelve or thirteen with the Consumers Gas Company, at Reading. This ended his active business life, as on severing his connections with the company May 1, 1905, he retired to private life.

Mr. Monier was for a number of years prominent in politics, and for a time represented the city in the council. For four years he held a seat in the select council, representing the fourth ward, and he also served two terms in the common council, from the fifth ward. While serving in these capacities, he formulated and proposed all the ordinances which gave the Pennsylvania Railroad Company the right of way through Reading.

The first union contracted by Mr. Monier was to Mary H., the daughter of William T. Young, a prominent shoe manufacturer of Allentown. She died in 1882. They had six children: Mabel H. deceased, m. to Irwin Trego; Emily R., deceased; Harry Y., at Bethlehem; W. R., clerk at the Crystal Palace in Reading; Edward M., a merchant in Trenton, N. J.; and Howard R., of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad Company. In 1894 Mr. Monier married Miss Mary V. Frick, the daughter of Elhannan Frick, of Chester county. She too died, passing away March 28, 1905, aged forty-eight years.

Mr. Monier was for many years a member of the First Presbyterian Church, and was one of its active supporters and workers. He was a member of McLean Post, No. 16, G. A. R. He was a man of much ability, who had attained a very gratifying amount of success in life and many friends mourn his loss. Mr. Monier was borne to his last resting place in Charles Evans Cemetery by members of the G. A. R. and he was covered by the flag which in his young manhood he had risked his life to defend.


MONTGOMERY, MORTON L.

p. 402

Surnames: MONTGOMERY, ZACHARIAS, HOFFMAN, LIVINGOOD, YOUNG, RUSH, RENNINGER, SPOHN, ROSCH, FISCHER, GITTELMAN, BUSH, BAUGH, LESSIG, BUSCH, BACH, PRICE, PREISZ

Morton L. Montgomery, the compiler of this history, was born at Reading Nov. 10, 1846. He was educated in the common schools till 1863, having spent the last three years in the High School; and, being inclined to mathematics and drafting, he then entered the office of Daniel S. Zacharias, county surveyor of Berks county and city engineer of Reading, for the purpose of learning practical surveying and civil engineering. He continued in this office eight months, when he went to Pottsville, Schuylkill county, at the request of Mr. Zacharias, to enter a larger field for the prosecution of his studies, and he was there employed by Daniel Hoffman, a mining, civil and topographical engineer, who was constantly engaged in important work for prominent coal operators. After remaining with Mr. Hoffman the greater part of two years, he returned to Reading, and entered the office of Jacob S. Livingood, Esq., as a student-at-law. He spent the required term of three years with Mr. Livingood, and besides prosecuting his legal studies looked after an extensive practice, the labors of which consisted in the preparation of cases, arguments, proceedings in partition, conveyancing, etc. After traveling for a time in the fall of 1869 through the Middle and Eastern States, he entered the Law Department of Harvard University and remained there two terms. Upon returning to Reading, he spent a year in the office of Samuel L. Young, Esq., in order to comply with the new rules of court which had been adopted during his absence and required the last year of study to be passed in a lawyer's office. He was admitted to the Bar on Aug. 28,1871, since which time he has been in active practice at Reading.

Shortly after his admission to the Bar, he became interested in the history of his native county, and, after he had collected much valuable material relating to the early settlements and formation of the townships, and the development of all the districts of the county, he determined to publish the "History of Berks County." In the course of his investigations he contributed a number of historical articles to the press, and in 1883 published the "Political Hand-Book of Berks County, Pa." In 1884, he issued a prospectus, announcing his proposed publication of the "History of Reading," but finding soon afterward, in the course of his undertaking, that the practice of law and the labors of an author and publisher could not be conducted together successfully, he entered into a contract with Messrs. Everts, Peck & Richards, publishers of histories, etc., at Philadelphia, for the publication of the "History of Berks County" in one large octavo volume, to comprise all the history of the entire county, and thereby conclude his undertaking more speedily and satisfactorily, and the publishers named issued the work (comprising 1,200 pages) in 1886. The labor of Mr. Montgomery in behalf of that history was necessarily arduous during a period of ten years, he having carried on his investigations and researches without any assistance, visited many places, traveled throughout the county repeatedly, and examined county records, newspaper files, and libraries here and elsewhere, besides looking after his increasing legal practice.

In 1889, Mr. Montgomery published a "School History of Berks County" (pp. 300) for use in the local schools, and the book having received the endorsement of the leading educators in the county, it was adopted and introduced in all the districts. At a number of county institutes, it was earnestly recommended. It was the first book of the kind published in the United States, and Mr. Montgomery received much commendation from prominent educators and school journals in all parts of the country for his enterprise and zeal in behalf of encouraging the study of local history in connection with national and general history.

Shortly after this school history had made its appearance, he began to deliver lectures on the "Life and Times of Conrad Weiser, the First Representative Man of Berks County," and on the "Revolutionary Heroes of Berks County," in all parts of the county before local teachers' institutes at the request of the county superintendents, and he continued these lectures successfully until 1893, when, under the auspices of the Reading Board of Trade, he published the former in a pamphlet of 40 pages, and 3,500 copies of this pamphlet were distributed gratuitously among all the schools of the city and county for the purpose of securing a suitable memorial to Conrad Weiser.

In 1894, he published a volume of 300 pages, entitled "Berks County in the Revolution," and this was also the first book of the kind issued to show what a participating county in the Revolution had done in behalf of independent representative government. These three publications are in the leading libraries of the country from Boston to San Francisco, which evidences their popularity. About this time, he also compiled the "Centennial History of Lodge No. 62, F. & A. M.," a volume of 250 pages, which was presented by the Lodge to the members as a suitable memento of the occasion.

In 1898, the Sesqui-Centennial of the founding of Reading was properly celebrated under the auspices of the Board of Trade, and the executive committee having employed Mr. Montgomery to compile and publish a suitable book in commemoration of the event, he issued a superior volume of 300 pages, which was highly appreciated for its conciseness and comprehensiveness. After the lapse of more than twenty years, numerous persons, who appreciated the necessity of having the history of the county published again, embracing all the important local events which have occurred since, suggested to Mr. Montgomery that he should revise his "History of Berks County." Agreeing that such a revised history would be acceptable to the public, he accordingly made the arrangements with Messrs. J. H. Beers & Co., publishers of histories, at Chicago, Ill., for its compilation under the title "Historical and Biographical Annals of Berks County," and this large and comprehensive work is the result of his labor in that behalf.

Mr. Montgomery's father, John Leonard Montgomery, was born in Northumberland county, near Sunbury, in 1812, and moved to Reading in 1841, where he was engaged in the hardware business for twenty-five years, and then in the flour business for a number of years, after which he lived in retirement, until his decease, in 1880. He was married To Catharine Rush, of Reading (daughter of Philip Rush), by whom he had five children: Jonas (married to Mary Renninger); Morton Luther; Mary Elizabeth; Sarah, and John, the last two dying in early girlhood and youth, respectively.

His mother's father, Philip Rush, born at Reading in 1784, learned the trade of weaver, which he followed until 1861. He was enlisted in the War of 1812-15 and served as fife-major of the 1st Regiment, in the 2d Brigade of Pennsylvania Volunteers. He died in 1871. He was married to Barbara Spohn (daughter of Capt. John Spohn, who raised at Reading the second company of volunteers in the Revolution, which was engaged in active service, more especially at the Battle of Long Island, on Aug. 27, 1776). She died in 1853, aged sixty-seven years. They had three sons and four daughters, including Catharine, above-named. Before 1800, the Spohn family was inter-related by marriage with all the prominent families of Cumru, Heidelberg and Robeson townships.

His mother's ancestors on the father's side were residents of Reading from the founding of the town in 1751. Her great-grandfather, Michael Rosch, was born at Remmingsheim, in Wurtemberg, Germany, in 1703. He was a carpenter by trade, which he followed until 1751, when he emigrated to Pennsylvania from Rotterdam, on the ship "Duke of Wurtemberg," having qualified Oct. 16th.

He was accompanied by his wife, two sons (Michael and Stephen) and four daughters. Immediately after landing at Philadelphia, he proceeded to Reading, and there purchased a lot (No. 189, on south side of Penn street, below Tenth) which he improved by the erection of a dwelling-house under the conditions of purchase, and obtained his patent in 1753. He lived on these premises until he died in 1796. In 1767 he also secured by patent the adjoining lot on the corner (No. 192). His wife was Catharine Fischer, daughter of John Fischer, of Remmingsheim. She died at Reading in 1775, aged seventy-one years. Their six children survived them. He and his descendants have been members of Trinity Lutheran Church at Reading since its establishment in 1751.

Her grandfather was the second son, Stephen Rosch. He was born in 1740 at Remmingsheim. He learned the trade of cooper at Reading, which he followed until his decease in 1816. In his last will, dated 1815, he still signed his name Rosch, in German. In 1770 he married Magdalena Gittelman, daughter of John Gittelman, who lived in Berks county beyond the Blue Mountains and was there engaged in farming. She died in 1826, aged seventy-eight years. They had three sons (Stephen, John and Philip) and two daughters.

Mr. Montgomery married Florence Baugh Bush, daughter of Dr. Andrew Bush and his wife, Mary Price Baugh, of East Coventry, in Chester county, and they have a daughter, Florence Baugh, married to Joshua Brooke Lessig, banker and iron manufacturer of Pottstown, Pennsylvania.

Dr. Bush was born at Philadelphia in 1805, studied medicine and was graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1832. After traveling through the Southern States for a year, he began an introductory practice of medicine at Philadelphia, and continued in that place until the death of his father in 1836, when he located in East Coventry township, Chester county, and there carried on an active practice for twenty-five years. He then directed his attention to the cultivation of certain choice fruits in connection with farming until his decease in 1874. He was an accomplished linguist, speaking the German, French, Spanish and Italian languages, and was also a fine Greek and Latin scholar, keeping up his interest in these languages until he died.

Dr. Bush's father, Andrew Daniel Michael Busch, was born in 1763 at Wesel, in Rhenish Prussia, near Duesseldorf, and was thoroughly educated in the University of Berlin. After his graduation he emigrated to Pennsylvania, locating at Philadelphia, where he became extensively engaged in the wholesale shoe business, and he followed this business successfully for many years. For a considerable period, before and after 1800, his philanthropic spirit in behalf of immigrating Germans, who landed at Philadelphia, gave his much distinction. He died in 1836. Dr. Bush was his only child.

Dr. Bush's wife, Mary Price Baugh, was a lineal descendant of John Sebastian Bach, of Eisenach, in Upper Saxony, born 1685, and died 1750; whose son John, born at the same place in 1740, emigrated to Pennsylvania and located in East Coventry township, Chester county, where he was engaged in farming until his decease in 1819. His grandson, also named John Baugh (the father of Dr. Bush's wife), was born in 1775 in the township named, became the largest proprietor of farms in that section of the county, and died in 1841. He married Mary Price, a lineal descendant of Rev. Jacob Preisz, who emigrated to Pennsylvania in 1719.


MOORE, A. B.

p. 1441

Surnames: MOORE, KNOWLES, KAY, BENNER

A. B. Moore, of Reading, engaged in the contracting business, was born May, 1838, in Chester county, son of James and Mary (Knowles) Moore, and is a descendent of a long line of Scotch-Irish ancestors.

David Moore, grandfather of A. B. , was an early settler of Chester county, where he engaged in farming and milling, accumulating considerable property. He married a Miss Kay, and they became the parents of three children: Caroline, Elizabeth and James. In religious matters the family were connected with the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Moore was a Whig in politics, but is not known to have taken more than a good citizen's interest in public matters. James Moore, his son, was born in Chester county, and early in life took to agricultural pursuits, an occupation which he followed all of his active career. Very enterprising and progressive he became more than ordinarily successful, and at the time of his death, in 1864, was the owner of 1,100 acres of valuable land. James Moore and his wife were buried at the Presbyterian Church (of Fairview) cemetery, in Chester county, they having been members of that congregation.

After receiving his education in the schools of Chester county, and at West Chester Academy, A. B. Moore engaged in farming, and at this occupation he continued until 1869, in which year he located in Reading and was appointed to the position of officer on the city police force. He continued in this position for eight years, and at the end of this time engaged in contracting on public works and for corporations in the city, and has proven very successful in this line, at which he is present engaged. Mr. Moore is politically an unswerving Republican, and is considered a strong man in his community by the party leaders. For four years he has served as a member of the Common Council from the First Ward. He is fraternally connected with the I. O. O. F. and K. G. E. Lodges, the I.O.R.M., Patriotic Sons of America, and the Reading Iron Company Beneficial Association. He is a member of the First Baptist Church of Reading.

Mr. Moore was married in February, 1861, to Miss Priscilla Benner, a native of Chester Co., Pa., and three children have been born to them: Elmer E. , engaged in the retail coal business in Reading; Edwin A., president of the United Coal, Coke and Gas Construction Co.; and Mary K,. a saleslady at Dives, Pomeroy & Stewart's establishment in Reading.


MOORE, GEORGE K.

p. 1317

Surnames: MOORE, KOONS, LEIDY, STETLER, SHETLER, HILTEBEIDEL, GRUBB, WILLEAUER, GRATER, KOHL, BERGEY, STAUFFER, FEGLEY

George K. Moore, of Boyertown, president of the borough council and otherwise prominently identified with the life of that place, has resided there since 1893. He is a native of Montgomery county, Pa., born Feb. 9, 1866, in Frederick township, where his father and grandfather before him lived and died.

George Moore, the grandfather, was a farmer in Frederick township, and died upon his farm there in the early sixties. He was a well-to-do man, owning a tract of over two hundred acres, and he was a well-known and influential citizen in his time. He is buried at Keeler's Church, though there is an interesting old cemetery on the homestead. It is 100 feet square, and covers the four adjoining corners of the Koons, Moore, Leidy and Stetler farms; there are 150 tombstones on this plot, which contains the remains of many ancestors of the families mentioned. Mr. Moore married Barbara Shetler, a member of a well-known family of Reading, Pa., and the East Penn district, and to them was born a family of six children namely: George F. is mentioned farther on; John S. lived at Limerick, Pa., where he conducted the "Limerick Centre Hotel" for many years; Anna married Daniel Hiltebeidel, of Montgomery county, Pa.(Hendricks post-office); Maria married George Grubb, of near Braunback's Church, in Chester county, Pa.; Sallie married Jesse Willeauer, of Schwenkville, Pa.; and Eliza married Levi Grater, of Frederick, Pennsylvania.

George F. Moore, eldest son of George Moore, born in Frederick township Nov. 25, 1821, on the homestead of his father, passed all his life there, and died Jan. 10, 1908, at the age of eighty-six years, one month, fifteen days. He died in the house in which he was born. He was a Reformed member of Keeler's Church, in Montgomery county, and served it officially in his earlier life; he is buried there. He followed farming, owning about eighty acres of land. Mr. Moore married Leah Kohl, who was born in 1829, daughter of Daniel, whose wife was a Miss Bergey, and she survives her husband, still residing on the old homestead. Mr. and Mrs. Moore had four children: Daniel K., now deceased, was a resident of Frederick township; Barbara, died in infancy; Henry K. lives at Green Lane, Pa.; George K. lives in Boyertown.

George K. grew to manhood on the parental farm, and he continued to work for his parents until he attained his majority, though after he was sixteen he also clerked in the store at Gilbertsville, Montgomery county, being employed thus until he was twenty-two years old. In 1888 he engaged in the huckstering business, buying produce and poultry, which he sold at the Philadelphia markets, both wholesale and retail, going to market once or twice a week. He followed this line of business for some years, finally selling out because of failing health. During this time he has a home in Gilbertsville, whence he removed to Boyertown in the spring of 1893. From 1893 to 1898 he was employed at the "Mansion House" bar, and in the spring of 1898 embarked in the wholesale liquor business on his own account, on Reading avenue. He has since carried on this business, which he has built up from small beginnings to its present proportions, and in the interests of which he travels all over the county.

Mr. Moore has been very active in the public life of the borough of Boyertown for a number of years. He was first elected to the town council in 1902, and has served continuously since, having been re-elected the third time in the spring of 1908; since 1904 he has been president of that body, and under his progressive regime some of the most desirable improvements in the borough have been promoted and carried to successful issue. During this period the borough has granted franchises for right-of -way to the Oley Valley and Boyertown & Pottstown Traction Companies; the borough has bought its own water-works; the gas plant has been erected, and other notable changes have taken place. When the great theater calamity of Jan. 13, 1908, occurred, Mr. Moore proved himself equal to the exigencies of the occasion, and did noble work in bringing about order and directing relief work. He is alert to every need of his city and active in promoting its best interests. He is a Democrat in political connection.

In March 1888, Mr. Moore was married to Ellen Stauffer, daughter of Andrew and Amelia(Fegley) Stauffer, of Gilbertsville, and they have had three children, Agnes, Anna and Henrietta. Mr. and Mrs. Moore and their family are members of St. John's Lutheran Church at Boyertown, and he is a member of Popodickon Tribe, No. 388, Improved Order of Red Men.


MOORE, GEORGE L.

p. 1493

Surnames: MOORE, LEVAN, ELMGOOD, MILLER, DELCAMP, SEIFRIT, SLIKE, SEIDEL, BARTO, CLAUSER, FIGEL, DEEDS, SCHAEFFER, BROWN, CASSIDY.

George L. Moore, of Gibraltar, Pa., who holds the responsible position of superintendent of the Gibraltar Iron Works, was born Jan. 10, 1883, in Robeson township, Berks county, son of Isaac C. and Amelia (Levan) Moore. The Moores settled in Robeson township in 1731, and George L. Moore is a representative of the family that located along the Allegheny Creek in that year.

George Moore, great-great-grandfather of George L., resided in Robeson township. He was the father of these children: Samuel, Elias N., Joseph, Abraham, William and George, and three daughters (whose first names could not be learned, all records having been lost), Mrs. Elmgood, Mrs. Miller, and Mrs. Delcamp.

Samuel Moore, son of George, and great-grandfather of George L., was born Dec. 13, 1791. He was a cabinet maker and undertaker, occupations which he followed all of his active period, his death being caused in an accident on the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad in February, 1847. He and his wife Elizabeth (Seifrit), were the parents of these children: Isaac, deceased; George, deceased; Abiah S., deceased, who was with his brother Isaac in the iron business; Monroe, deceased, in the iron business with Jonathan Seidel; Samuel, who emigrated to Stephenson county, Ill,. in September, 1855, where he was killed while operating a reaper, Aug. 1, 1863; Emanuel, who is a resident of Stephenson county, Ill.; Elias, deceased, a carpenter; Elisha, deceased, who was engaged in farming near Lebanon, Lebanon county; Raymond, deceased;Mary, deceased, who married David Slike, and resided in Harrisburg, Pa.; Lucetta, deceased, wife of Jonathan Seidel, of Lebanon, Pa.; and Susanna, deceased, who married Jonathan Barto, and resided at Elroy, Illinois.

In religious belief the family were members of the Reformed Church. Mr. Moore was a stanch Whig in politics, but it is not believed that he took more than a good citizen's interest in public matters.

Isaac Moore, son of Samuel and grandfather of George L., was born Aug. 17, 1815, and was educated in the schools of Robeson township, and when a young man engaged at iron making with the Seidels. He later became the possessor of a charcoal forge, which he operated on his own account until within a few years of his death, in 1885, when he retired. He married Sarah Clauser, daughter of John and Sarah Ann (Figel) Clauser, and to this union there were born children as follows: Sarah, deceased(m. Jeremiah Boyer); Catherine, deceased(m. John Deeds); Samuel C.(m. Annie Schaeffer); and Isaac C. First a Whig Mr. Moore later became a stanch Republican, while in religious belief the family were connected with the Reformed Church.

Isaac C. Moore was educated in the common schools of Robeson township, and for fifteen years taught school there and in Exeter township. In 1881 he entered the employ of Simon Seyfert, as foreman of his farm, but later entered the iron works, where he was gradually and steadily promoted until he reached the position of superintendent, which he held at the time of his death, March 15, 1903, aged fifty-five years, three days. Mr. Moore was a business man of ability, a substantial citizen of much integrity, and a popular member of the P. O. S. of A., K. G. E., and the I. O. R. M. He was a Republican in politics. In 1868 Mr. Moore was married to Amelia Levan, by whom he had children as follows: Harry A. m. Mamie Brown, daughter of William and Katie Brown; W. Oscar, a heater, m. Sallie Seidel, daughter of Frederick and Mary Seidel; Irvin is unmarried; Emma m. Harvey O. Clauser; Edmund, deceased, m. Virginia Cassidy; George L.; and two children died in infancy. The family are connected with the Reformed Church.

George L. Moore was educated in the schools of Robeson township, and at Brunner's Business College, Reading. He entered the employ of the Gibraltar Iron works in the position of weighmaster, May 29, 1899, continuing as such until 1902, when he was promoted to the position of assistant superintendent, and at the time of his father's death he was made superintendent, of the works, in which capacity he has ably served to the present time, having under him 130 employes.

In politics Mr. Moore is a Republican, and is at present a member of the board of school directors of Robeson township. He is a prominent member of the P.O.S. of A., being a past district president of the Fifth Berks district. In December, 1908, he was selected to compile a history of the order in Berks county. He is also a member of the Commandery.


MOORE, JAMES

p. 1535

Surnames: MOORE, MATZ, ALTHOUSE, FITTERLING, HARTZ, KACHEL, LUDWIG

James Moore, deceased, who for a number of years was a well-known agriculturist of Berks county, operating an extensive property in Spring township, was born in that township, June 15, 1850, son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Matz) Moore, and grandson of Jacob Moore, a farmer and miller of Spring township, where he died.

Jacob Moore, the father of James, received a fair education in Brecknock township, Berks county, his native place, and later became a miller and farmer of Spring township, owning a fine mill and 100 acres of land. He also successfully conducted a hat manufacturing business for some years, having his factory in a part of his mill. He died at the age of seventy-one years. Mr. Moore married Miss Elizabeth Matz, daughter of George Matz, and they had these children: Elizabeth, m. Martin Althouse, lives at Denver, Lancaster county; Martin m. Sallie Fitterling, is now the owner of the old homestead in Spring township, which has been in the possession of the family for a period of 150 years; and James.

James Moore attended the schools of his native township, and under his father learned the hatting business, which, however, he only followed for a few years. He then devoted all of his time to agricultural pursuits, being for a time employed by his father, after which he conducted the homestead on his own account for six years. Mr. Moore died April 21, 1894. He was a member of the Lutheran Church, a kindly Christian gentleman, and a man of many sterling qualities of character. In political matters he was a Republican, but took only a good citizen's interest in public matters.

On Jan. 6, 1882, Mr. Moore was married to Amanda Hartz, daughter of Jesse and Catherine (Kachel) Hartz, and granddaughter of Samuel and Sarah (Ludwig) Hartz, the latter farming people of Brecknock township, Berks county. Jesse Hartz, father of Mrs. Moore, was a well-known farmer of Spring township, where he had a fine property, and where his death occurred at the age of seventy-one years. Two children were born to Jesse and Catherine Hartz, namely: Elizabeth, who is single; and Mrs. Moore.

Mrs. Moore erected a fine double residence at Shillington in 1901, in one part of which she resides, and she also owns other valuable real estate in the town. She is a member of the Lutheran Church and has a wide social circle.


MOORE, JOHN W.

p. 1088

Surnames: MOORE, WAGNER, SLOUCH, BELL, ZIEGLER, SEIFERT, SANDS, McKENTLY, DUCHMAN, NOLL, ULRICH, FULMER, KLOPP, HECKMAN

John W. Moore, who is extensively engaged in truck farming in Muhlenberg township, Berks county, where he is known as a practical agriculturist and public-spirited citizen, was born Feb. 15, 1853, at Hampden Furnaces, in Robeson township, this county, son of John and Hannah (Wagner) Moore.

George Moore, the grandfather of John W., was a farmer of Robeson township, where he died in 1860 at an advanced age, in the faith of the Lutheran Church. The name of his wife is not known, but his children were as follows: Jesse, Nicholas, Daniel, George, Levi, John and Annie (who married Jonas Slouch).

John Moore, born and educated in Robeson township, there engaged in work for the E. & G. Brooke Co., at Hampden, later removing to Birdsboro, Pa., where he was accidentally killed when but twenty-nine years old. His children were: Angeline, who married George Bell, has eight children, Agnes, Sally, Reuben, Minnie (deceased), Alice, William, John and Levi; Albina, who married Harrison Ziegler had six children, Abram (deceased), John, Harrison, Reuben, Nora and Walter; Wilhelmina, who married Howard Seifert, had six children, Reuben, Wilbert, Harvey, Heber, Minnie, and Rudie; and John W. The father was a Lutheran, and the mother died in the faith of the Reformed Church in 1881, at the age of sixty-three years. John W. Moore was educated in the schools of Robeson township, and at the age of fifteen years he apprenticed himself to the blacksmith's trade with Isaac R. Sands, at the Scarlett scythe factory, where he remained five years, subsequently following his trade for four years at Beckersville. In 1875. he removed to the country in Robeson township and for two years engaged in trucking, in 1877 locating on a property owned by Joseph McKently, which consisted of fourteen acres, about ten acres of which were purchased by the Reading water board. The balance of this land, as well as much land he rents, Mr. Moore devotes to truck farming, giving special attention to the raising of radishes, beets and cabbages.

Mr. Moore married (first) Ellen J., and to this union ten children were born, namely: Minnie M., who married Howard Noll and has one child, Ethel N.; William E., who married Susan Ulrich; Carrie E., who married William Fulmer and has one child, Leroy; Rose E., who married Walter Klopp, and has two children, Ruth M., and Grace M.; Jennie E.; Oliver C., who is connected with the shoe manufacturing firm of Curtis & Jones; Estella F.; Mabel E.; and two sons who died in infancy. Mr. Moore's second marriage was to Kate Heckman, who had a son by a former marriage, Jacob. Mr. Moore is a member of the Alsace Reformed Church, and his wife is a Lutheran. In politics he is a Democrat, and has served as school director. Fraternally he is connected with Muhlenberg Castle No. 372, of which he was high priest for five sessions; and Washington Camp No. 168, P. O. S. of A.


MORGAN, JACOB

p. 355

Surnames: MORGAN, JENKINS, HUDSON, PRICE, WETHERILL

Jacob Morgan was the most prominent Revolutionary character of Berks county ? from 1777 to 1780, and as such brought great credit to the county and great honor to himself. He was born in the district of Caernarvon, in the northern part of Wales, in 1716, and emigrated with his father, Thomas Morgan, to Pennsylvania some time previous to 1730. About that time a colony of Welsh people, including Thomas Morgan and his family, migrated up the Schuylkill Valley from Philadelphia to the mouth of the French creek, and thence along and beyond the headwaters of that creek until they reached the headwaters of the Conestoga creek, in Caernarvon township. There they settled and took up large tracts of land. That section of territory was then a part of Lancaster county, but since 1752 a part of Berks county. The tract taken up by his father was at and in the vicinity of Morgantown. It included the town-plan which he came to lay out in 1770, and which he named after the family, a custom quite common in that day throughout the county.

When the French and Indian War came to affect Pennsylvania in 1755, Jacob Morgan was thirty-eight years old, and until that time had been engaged at farming. In December of that year, he was commissioned as a captain under the Provincial government, and he continued actively engaged in this military service until 1760, when he returned home and resumed farming. When the Revolution began, he was nearly sixty years of age. In June, 1776, he was selected to represent the county as a delegate to the Provincial Conference, and in July following as a delegate to the Constitutional Convention. In 1777, upon the creation of the office of lieutenant of the several counties for the purpose of aiding the Executive Council in effectively prosecuting the war, he was selected by the Council to fill this very important position. This preference evidences his distinguished character, for at that time Berks county possessed a number of prominent and influential men. In the prompt and faithful performance of his duties he was very successful, the Executive Council in their letters to him frequently complimenting his energy in having the county fill promptly the numerous orders for troops. He resigned in December, 1780. While filling this office he was always recognized as a colonel, and was addressed as such by the Executive Council. He officiated as a judge of the county for the years 1768, 1769, 1772, and from 1774 to 1777; and also as a justice of the peace for the southern district of Berks county (which included Caernarvon township), from 1777 to 1791. His autograph follows. He died at Morgantown on November 11, 1792, and was buried in the graveyard of the St. Thomas Episcopal Church at that place. He had two sons, Jacob and Benjamin; and three daughters, Sarah (m. a Jenkins); Mary (m. Nicholas Hudson), and Rebecca (m. John Price, an attorney at Reading). Rachel, a daughter of John Price, m. Samuel Wetherill, of Philadelphia.


MORGAN, THOMAS H.

p. 1027

Surnames: MORGAN, HILL, LANSISCUS, DEMOSS, ORR, WHEATLEY, DIEHL, HOMAN, HIGH, MILLER, BRINTON, WILHELM, PENNEPACKER, MAJOR, NEILOR

Thomas H. Morgan, a member of the Reading school board and one of the city's enterprising business men, who is engaged in the manufacture of paints and painters' supplies, was born in Reading, Pa., Nov. 25, 1838, son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Hill) Morgan.

Thomas Morgan was born in 1812, at Tunbridge Wells, County Sussex, England, and died April 26, 1872. When eighteen years of age he came to America, and located at Reading, assisting in the work on the Schuylkill Canal as a stone-cutter. After the completion of the canal he engaged in boating thereon for thirty-five years, and became very successful, owning property on North River street, where he resided for twenty-five years. He was married to Elizabeth Hill, born Dec. 25, 1810, who died in her ninety-third year, daughter of Jacob Hill and wife, Susan (Lansiscus), daughter of Jacob Lansiscus, who received a large tract of land by patent from William Penn, which is now included in Mineral Spring Park, Mt. Penn borough, St. Lawrence borough, Carsonia Park, Stony Creek village and Antietam creek. To Thomas and Elizabeth (Hill) Morgan were born children as follows: Hannah m. Harry DeMoss; Susan m. John W. Orr; Thomas H.; Ruth m. D. H. Wheatley; Emma m. George W. Diehl; Harry m. Savilla Homan (all of these children being residents of Reading); and several died in infancy.

Thomas H. Morgan received his education in the public schools of Reading and later attended the Reading Academy, then located on the present site of the Girls' high school, it being under the supervision of Prof. A. C. High. For eighteen years he was a boatman, owning a boat and team, and after discontinuing this occupation he became a cabinet maker for four years, being employed in a large establishment at Philadelphia. On his return to Reading he took charge of the finishing department of E. S. Miller's undertaking establishment, where he remained about one year, then entering the employ of the Reading Railway Company, with which he remained nine years. One year later he went to Media, where he erected a fine residence for Dr. Brinton, who was for many years editor of the Medical Journal, and after the completion of this work engaged for one year in the contracting and building business in Delaware county, also erecting a number of large buildings in and around Royersford and Spring City. He again returned to his native city and continued contracting for one year, but subsequently erected his factory and paint establishment at No. 122 Wood street. After having charge of the paint mill of A. Wilhelm for eleven years, Mr. Morgan was influential in the establishment of the Morgan & Ruth paint establishment, which firm continued successfully for eight years, at which time the business was sold to Jackson & Smith, and Mr. Morgan was retained as superintendent, it being from his plans and specifications and under his supervision that the present building was erected in 1895 between Eighth and Ninth streets on Windsor. In December, 1895, Mr. Morgan took possession of his present place on Wood street, where for six years he was engaged in business. He then purchased a farm of 120 acres near Phoenixville, Chester county, where he moved factory and fixtures, but after two years, not being satisfied with that location, returned to Reading and again located in the Wood street plant, where he has since conducted a flourishing business. He manufactures all kinds of paints, and does principally a custom trade. He is also an inventor of some reputation and has a number of good plans on paper, for which patents have been applied for. His own residence, at No. 121 South Fourth street, was erected after his own specifications. In politics Mr. Morgan is a Republican, and in 1907 he became a member of the Reading school board. He and his family are members of the First Baptist Church of Reading, and he was active in the organization of the First Baptist Mission, which afterward became the Second Baptist Church, and later was merged into the Berean Baptist Church. He also held prominent position as Moderator of the Reading Baptist Association.

In 1870 Mr. Morgan married Wilhelmina D. Pennepacker, daughter of Daniel and Rebecca (Major) Pennepacker, and to this union there have been born two daughters: Ruth S., a graduate of the high school, class of 1884, is now engaged in teaching in Reading. Mary J. married Clarence T. Neilor, an associate with Mr. Morgan in the paint business, and they have one daughter, Wilhelmina, and they reside on their farm near Phoenixville, Pennsylvania.


MORRET, H. ECKERT (DR.)

p. 1232

Surnames: MORRET, HERMAN, GRABILLE, THRONE, SMITH, LEBER, OLIVER, MERRITT, RAUDENBUSH, HERMAN, SCHAEFFER

Dr. H. Eckert Morret, a successful medical practitioner located at Wernersville, Lower Heidelberg township, and one of the town's leading and representative citizens, was born June 1, 1879, at Douglassville, Berks Co., Pa., son of Benjamin Franklin and Clara C. (Herman) Morret.

The Morret family, which is one of the oldest and most honored in Pennsylvania, is of patrician rank and the name occurs among immigrants to America, compiled from The Nobility of Normandy, date A. D. 1688. In Claude D. du Maigney's Science of Heraldry, a very fine work and authority on the French nobility, published in 1856 in Paris, the name Morret also appears. Jean Dedier and Matthieu Morrett, brothers, came to Berks county, Pa., in 1757, the former of whom was the direct ancestor of Dr. H. Eckert Morret, and was buried in Lower Berks county, where he had lived.

Samuel Morret, son of Jean Dedier Morrett, and great-grandfather of the Doctor, was a farmer of Cumberland county, where he died about 1831, ripe in years. His wife passed away in 1860, when ninety years of age, having been the mother of three children: Samuel, the grandfather of Dr. H. Eckert; and John and George, who lived and died in Cumberland county.

Samuel Morret, son of Samuel, was a native of Cumberland county, where he became a general merchant and a prominent and successful man. He died in 1867, at the age of sixty-six years, and is buried at Circleville, Ohio. Mr. Morret was married to Mary Grabille, who was born in Adams county, Pa., and she bore him seven children, as follows: William resides at Muncie, Ind.; Caroline m. Jacob Throne, of Circleville, Ohio; Mary m. McKinney Smith, a farmer of near Waynesport, Lycoming Co., Pa.; Julia m. Jacob G. Leber, of Manheim, Pa.; Lida m. John G. Oliver, of Circleville, Ohio; Rusetta died in infancy; and Benjamin F.

Benjamin Franklin Morret was born June 29, 1842, at Churchtown, Cumberland Co., Pa., and received his education in the common schools of Carlisle and Wrightsville, Pa., and Circleville, Ohio. At the age of fourteen years he learned the coach-making trade at Muncy, Lycoming Co., Pa., an occupation which he pursued for one and one-half years. When the Civil war broke out, he enlisted at Circleville, for a term of three years, in Co. C, 15th Reg., O.V.I., 3d Brigade, 3d Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland. He was wounded by a musket ball in the right hip, Dec. 31, 1862, during the battle of Stone River, and after recovery was sent as drill sergeant to Fort Adams, Newport, R. I., where he drilled recruits and formed them into companies, a work which he continued until the end of his service. He received his honorable discharge with the rank of sergeant at Newport, R. I., Sept. 16, 1864.

After the close of his services to his country, Mr. Morret embarked in the iron business, renting Dowling Forge at Dowling, Chester county, where he continued two years, employing thirty men. He then went to the falls of French Creek for three years, and subsequently conducted the Union Forge, now called Lickdale, for four years. In 1878 he erected a forge at Douglassville, which he operated successfully for twelve years, employing sixty people, and in 1891 he built the Hamburg Vitrified Brick Works at Hamburg, in company with A. Howard Merritt and George W. Raudenbush. This he operated six years and then sold his interests to the Mack Brothers of Philadelphia. For three years Mr. Morret lived retired at Hamburg, but in 1900 he located at No. 40 North Sixth street, Reading, where he has since been extensively engaged in a real estate business.

In 1875 Benjamin F. Morret was married to Clara C. Herman, and one son was born to this union: Dr. H. Eckert. Mrs. Morret was a daughter of Rev. Augustus Herman, of Reading, Pa., who erected the old St. John's Church at Hamburg, and preached there for many years.

Dr. H. Eckert Morret received his education in the common schools of his native locality and the Hamburg high school, from which latter institution he was graduated in 1899, being class orator. He then entered Jefferson Medical College, from which he was graduated in 1903, at which time he was elected resident physician of the St. Joseph Hospital, Reading, where he remained one year. Selecting Wernersville as the field of his professional labor, Dr. Morret soon built up a large and lucrative practice, extending over a radius of twenty miles and including considerable practice in Reading. He is a general practitioner and has been very successful in his treatment of may complicated cases, giving most careful attention to his patients and sparing himself in no way when life or health are in the balance. Thus Dr. Morret has won the confidence and affection of the community. He is a member of Wernersville Lodge No. 835, I. O. O. F.; Washington Camp No. 199, and the William Penn Commandery No. 8, of the P. O. S. of A.; and Maccabees of the World, of which he is examining physician of his district of Berks county. On Feb. 7, 1907, Dr. Morret was united in marriage with Mary M. Schaeffer, of Wernersville, Pa., and they make their home in a desirable residence on Main Street.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:55:29 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.