Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

LEVAN, ABRAHAM F.

p. 1084

Surnames: LEVAN, DAVIS, LERCH, KEENE

Abraham F. Levan, who has been living retired since 1886, at his home, midway between Picture of Abraham LevanJacksonwald and Esterly, was for many years engaged in agricultural pursuits in Exeter township, where he was born Jan. 18, 1841.

Abraham F. Levan was reared on the old Levan homestead at Jacksonwald, and received his education in the public schools. On attaining his majority he began operating the old homestead, which consisted of 193 acres, and there he continued until 1885, when he built his present residence, on a one and one-half acre tract. He is also the owner of 142 acres on the old Philadelphia pike. In politics a stanch Democrat, Mr. Levan has always been active in the ranks of that party, and has served as a member of the school board.

On Sept. 26, 1871, Mr. Levan married Miss Sallie Davis, daughter of Edward and Rebecca (Lerch) Davis, natives of Maiden-creek and Bern townships, respectively, who spent their married lives in Bern and Penn townships, and their declining years in Reading. To Mr. and Mrs. Levan was born one child, Margaretta, who died in infancy. They are members of the Reformed Church.

Edward Davis was in early life a farmer, but later he followed school teaching, and died at the age of sixty-six years in 1885. His wife, Rebecca Lerch, died in August, 1906, in her eighty-fourth year, in the faith of the Reformed Church. To Mr. and Mrs. Davis were born three children: Franklin, who died in 1899; Sallie, m. to Mr. Levan; and Rebecca who died July 13, 1894, m. to Reuben Keene.

Luke Davis, grandfather of Mrs. Levan, was reared in Maiden-creek township. He learned the trade of miller, and later settled on a farm in Penn township, which he operated until reaching an advanced age.


LEVAN, CYRUS B.

p. 878

Surnames: LEVAN, BECHTEL, TROUT, BRUMBACH, POTT, BRUNNER, LUTZ

Cyrus B. Levan, a life-long resident of Exeter township, Berks county, died July 16, 1890.
  The Levan family originated in France, where one branch became identified with the Huguenots. Four brothers left their native land to find a home in America, one of them, however dying before his arrival here. The other three settled in Berks county, one in Oley township, one in Maxatawny, and one in Exeter.

Isaac Levan, the brother who settled in Exeter, became there the owner of a farm which has ever since remained in the family. On this he worked at clearing and cultivating, after the manner of other pioneers, experienced many hardships.

Jacob Levan, son of Isaac, succeeded to the ownership of the farm, and passed his active years engaged in its improvement and cultivation. He married and among his children was a son named Abraham.

Abraham Levan, son of Jacob, was born on the farm, and in turn became its owner. He was very prosperous, and became very influential in public affairs. He married Maria Bechtel, who bore him three sons and two daughters.

Joseph Levan, son of Abraham, was born on the home farm in 1803, and became a farmer there, although he engaged also in other lines, accumulating quite a competency. He was widely known and very popular. As a staunch Democrat, he became a good worker in the party, but would never hold office. He was a member of the Reformed church, in which he served in a number of offices. His wife, Caroline Matilda Bechtel, was a daughter of John Tetter Bechtel. They had six sons and one daughter, namely: Joseph, who died young; Abraham F., living retired in Exeter township; Jacob, living retired at Jacksonwald; Cyrus B.; Nathan E., a retired farmer living in Exeter township; David, an attorney at Reading; and a daughter that died in infancy.

Cyrus B. Levan, son of Joseph and Caroline Matilda (Bechtel), was born Dec. 18, 1849, and became one of Berks countys prominent citizens. He was a life-long resident of Exeter township, and at the time of his death, July 16, 1890, was serving his second year as county commissioner, to which office he was elected on the Democratic ticket. He had filled a number of township offices, and was one of the most active men in public life in his locality, always looking to the best interest of the people. Mr. Levan was a member of the K. G. E., of Reading; Lexington Commandery, of Reading, and of Washington Camp, No. 230, P. O. S. of A. He belonged to the Schwartzwald Reformed church, in which he held the office of deacon. His widow, whose maiden name was Susan Trout, daughter of Benjamin, resides at Esterly with his sons, Joseph Henry, George M. and William.

The eldest child in the family, Jacob Edwin Levan, of Esterly, is a weaver in the Brumbach Woolen Mills; he married Elizabeth Pott, and has three children, Robert, Carl and Luther.

Joseph Henry Levan, son of Cyrus B., was born Feb. 27, 1880, was educated in the public schools and Prof. D. B. Brunners Academy, Reading, and also in the Inter-State Commercial College, from which he was graduated. He is a bookkeeper by calling. After working five years for John F. Lutz, the undertaker, at Reading, he started the furniture business for himself in which he is now engaged. He is a member of Washington Camp, No. 230 P. O. S. of A.; and of Lexington Commandery, Reading. He is a member and financial secretary of the Schwartzwald Reformed church.

George M. Levan, son of Cyrus B., is a graduate of the Inter-State Commercial College, and is a student in the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy.

William Levan, youngest child of Cyrus B., is also a student of the Inter-State Commercial College, and of the Keystone State Norman School at Kutztown, Pennsylvania.


LEVAN, FRANCIS L.

p. 1160

Surnames: LEVAN, SCHAPPEL, LEGALHOFF, RITTER, ZIMMERMAN, HENRY, CARROLL

Francis L. Levan, who, for the past thirty years has efficiently held the responsible position of car inspector for the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company, at Reading, is a well-known citizen whose pleasant home is located at No. 625 North Ninth street. He was born near Lobachsville, Berks Co., Pa., in 1851, son of Jacob K. and Mary (Schappel) Levan.

Jacob K. Levan came to Reading in 1854, and worked at his trade of dyer for a short time, and then engaged with the Keystone Iron Works at the foot of Pine street, where he remained until he died in 1877, aged sixty-six years. His widow lived to the age of seventy-three years, dying June 6, 1905. They had four children: Francis L.; Malinda, m. to Samuel Legalhoff; Anna, m. to William Ritter; and Ellen, m. to John Zimmerman. In politics, Jacob K. Levan was affiliated with the Democratic party. Both he and wife were members of the Methodist Church.

Francis L. Levan was education in the Reading public schools. While still young he went to work, entering the employ of the old West Reading rolling mill at the foot of Penn street, where the Pennsylvania depot now stands. Upon resigning this position he entered the employ of the Keystone Iron Company, with which he continued for seven years. In 1877 he accepted his present responsible position, one which carries with it much danger, but he has never met with a serious accident.

Mr. Levan married Elmira Henry, daughter of Jacob Henry, of Reading, and they had three children: Charles and Alice are both deceased; and Rosie m. William Carroll, and has three children, Stanley, Miriam and Catherine. Mrs. Levan is a member of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Levan belongs to the Knights of Malta, is a charter member of Mt. Penn Castle, No. 51, K. G., and belongs to the Philadelphia & Reading Relief Association.


LEVAN, FRANCIS W.

p. 1066

Surnames: LEVAN, ZINZENDORF, SCHLENKER, LEIBY, BAST, BILLICH, KEIM, GRAVER, REITZ, GRAHAM, STUMP, SEIDEL, HEINLY, GRIFFITH, FINK, KRAUSE, MOYER

Francis W. Levan a well-known young business man of Kutztown, Berks county, who has been engaged in the droving business for some years, was also well-known as the proprietor for some time of the "Black Horse Hotel."

Mr. Levan was born Nov. 29, 1879, at Lenhartsville, Berks county.

Jacob Levan, the immigrant ancestor of this family, came to America in 1717 with his two brothers. The Levans were French Huguenots, and the father of the immigrants was driven out of France because of his religious belief.

Jacob Levan became the owner of large tracts of land in and around Kutztown, his residence being at the old Levan Mill, near Eagle Point. He was a man of great prominence, was a judge of Berks county for ten years, and during the French and Indian war was directed by the English to provision Fort Allen. In 1742 he was visited by Count Zinzendorf, the distinguished Lutheran missionary, who preached from the balcony of the old mill to a large concourse of people. Sebastian Levan, elder son of the immigrant, was the most distinguished man in all northeastern Berks, serving as a Colonel in the Revolutionary war, and as a member of the Committee of Safety, and of the Executive Council. He lived on the old mill homestead.

Jacob Levan (2), son of Jacob the immigrant, died in middle life, and is buried in the old graveyard on the David Levan farm. He had children: Jacob, Daniel, John and Maria.

Of these, John Levan, son of Jacob (2), had these children: Daniel, who lived in Whitehall, Lehigh county; Gideon, who lived near Kutztown, Pa.; John, who lived in Maxatawny township; Samuel, who lived in Zanesville, Ohio; David, who died on the old homestead; Harrison; Perry, who lived in Kutztown; six daughters; and one son, Benjamin, who died in infancy.

Harrison Levan, son of John and grandfather of Francis W., was born in Maxatawny township in 1812, and is the oldest citizen in that township. He came to Lenhartsville when a young man, and has been a resident and agriculturist thereof all of his life. In his advanced years Mr. Levan is very active and spry, and is still able to dance a "jig," which he occasionally does to the intense delight of his friends. To him and his wife Maria were born: James m. Judith Schlenker; Jacob m. Sally Leiby; John m. Isabella Bast; Daniel resides at Findlay, Ohio; William B. is the father of Francis W.; Francis m. Missouri Billich; Frederick m. Ellen Keim; Alvin m. Valaria Graver; Mary. m. John Reitz; and Hettie m. James Graham.

William B. Levan, son of Harrison, a well-known drover of Lenhartsville, was born on the farm on which he now resides. He is extensively engaged in the cattle business, handling every year about 3,000 head, and also owns several valuable properties near Lenhartsville. He married Mary Stump, of Greenwich township, and to them were born the following children: Sallie m. Wilson Seidel; Wallace R. m. Ellen Heinly; Wilson M. m. Ellen Griffith; Francis W.; Alice M. m. Samuel Fink; Mamie m. Elwood G. Krause; and Annie is single.

Francis W. Levan was educated in the common schools of his native village, and in his boyhood days assisted his father in the cattle business, which he has followed ever since, except in the spring and summer of 1906, when he was proprietor of the "Black Horse Hotel, Kutztown." Although a young man, Mr. Levan has through thrift and economy accumulated some valuable property, and has a residence on Noble street, Kutztown.

On Nov. 3, 1901, Mr. Levan married Mamie A. Moyer, daughter of William L. and Susan (Seidel) Moyer, and two children have been born to them, Helen Marie and Mary Susanna.


LEVAN, GEORGE K.

p. 1190

Surnames: LEVAN, LeVAN, WISE, SCHNEIDER, MATTERN, KLINE, BUBP, YODER, WHITE, BIRCH, MAUGER

George K. Levan, in his lifetime a merchant of Reading who played a conspicuous part in the commercial history of his city, came of stanch Huguenot stock that left the familiar scenes of the Palatinate and vicinity, to find religious liberty and peace under the beneficent laws of the Colony of the Penns.

In the summer of 1727 Daniel LeVan embarked at Rotterdam, in the good ship "William & Sarah," Captain William Hill. The ship touched port at Dover, England, and then started on the long voyage to Philadelphia, where it arrived early in September. On the 21st of that month, all the male passengers over sixteen years of age, subscribed to the following declaration: "We, the subscribers, natives and inhabitants of the Palatinate, or the Rhine places adjacent, having transported ourselves and families into this province of Pennsylvania, a colony subject to the crown of Great Britain, in hopes and expectation of finding a retreat and peaceable settlement there, Do solemnly promise and engage, that we will be faithful, and bear true allegiance to his present Majesty King George the Second, and his successors, Kings of Great Britain, and will be faithful to the proprietors of this province, and that we will demean ourselves peaceably to all his Majesty's subjects, and strictly observe, and conform to the laws of England and of this Province, to the utmost of our power and the best of our understanding." There were upwards of 300 persons on the ship, of which 117 were males over sixteen years old, and of this number sixty-two were ill on board at the time of arrival, and four had died on the voyage. Those who were well signed the above Declaration themselves, and the names of the sixty-two, who were ill, were signed by the clerk of the Board of the Provincial Council, held at Philadelphia, Sept. 21, 1727; among the latter so signed was that of Daniel LeVan. Before leaving the Fatherland these followers of the German Reformed faith had engaged the Rev. George Michael Wise, V. D. M., to accompany them, and he was for many years pastor of German Reformed Churches in Philadelphia, Germantown, etc.

Jacob LeVan settled in Maxatawny township, Berks county, in an early day. He became one of the leading men of the county, and was judge of the Courts from 1752 to 1762. He was the father of two children-Colonel Sebastian and Jacob.

Colonel Sebastian LeVan was born about 1734, and he died in August, 1794. On Dec. 5, 1774, he was elected a member of the Berks County Committee of Observation, upon which he served as one of the fifteen members. He was a delegate to the Provincial Convention, Jan. 2, 1775, appointed lieutenant-colonel 7th Battalion, Berks county, 1775-76; delegate to the Lancaster Convention, in July, 1776; representative on the Standing Committee, serving alter in the State Assembly during 1779-1780; councilor on the Supreme Executive Council from 1782-84. As a member of such executive bodies he was exempt from bearing arms. The records show an order from the Council of Safety to pay him 88-2s-6d. for arms taken from non-associates, Dec. 6, 1776. His wife was Christiana Schneider, and they had three children: Jacob, John and Margaret who married John Mattern.

John LeVan, son of Col. Sebastian, married Christine Kline, and they had a son, George K. George K. Levan was born in Maxatawny township, Berks county. In Reading he attained a high place as a merchant, being the founder of the dry goods store now owned by John E. Bubp & Sons on Penn street. Mr. Bubp was his clerk at first, and later Mr. Levan sold out to him. He, himself, then engaged in business on Penn street, near the Farmer's National Bank Building, opening the first queensware store in the city of Reading, and he also carried a line of dry goods. He was a man of pronounced business ability, and was a buyer of great sagacity. His mercantile life ended in 1869 with his election as prothonotary of Berks county, an office he held until 1872, after which he retired, making his home at his comfortable residence on Eighth street, near Franklin. His death occurred suddenly, after he returned home from church, when he was aged sixty years.

Mr. Levan married Nov. 6, 1845, Margaret B. Yoder, daughter of David Yoder, and a representative of an early settled Berks county family. She died in 1900, and is buried beside her husband in the Charles Evans cemetery. They were active workers in, and early members of the Second Reformed Church.

They had five children: Annie E., who died in 1880, married James S. White, and had a daughter, Edith, who married Prof. R. S. Birch; Morris Y. died at the age of twenty-tree; Miss Martha Y.; Ida died in infancy; and Mary married D. Lorah Mauger, district passenger agent of the Philadelphia & Reading Company, with his office in Reading, and they have two children, Margaret A. and George L. They reside at No. 813 North Fourth street, Reading.


LEVAN, HARRY E.

p. 1414

Surnames: LEVAN, RUTH

Harry E. Levan (deceased), who for a number of years was employed as a machinist at the Reading Hardware Company, and in which capacity he was serving at the time of his death, July 18, 1899, was born Aug 1, 1866, in Reading.

Mr. Levan received his educational raining in the schools of his native city, after leaving which he learned the trade of machinist. He soon secured a position with the Reading Hardware Company, and remained with this firm all of his active period. His services were highly valued by the officers of the company, who knew him to be a skilled mechanic and faithful workman, and among his fellow employees he was very popular. In religious belief he was a member of the Second Reformed Church, while his widow attends the church of the Lutheran denomination. In political belief he was a Republican, and his fraternal connections were with the Rainbow Fire Company.

In 1886 Mr. Levan was married to Mary E. Ruth, the estimable daughter of Daniel H. Ruth, and to them were born five children, as follows: John Y.; Florence E.; Daniel H.; Ruth M. and Harry E., Jr. In April, 1904, Mrs. Levan removed from her home in Oakbrook, to her present residence in Reading, that she might better care for her interests in this city. She owns here residence at No. 505 Oley street as well as six residence properties at Thirteenth and Kenney streets.


LEVAN, HENRY B.

p. 494

Surnames: LEVAN, BEAU, BRUMBACH, FEATHER, FEGELEY, GANSER, GOODMAN, KERSHNER, KNORR, KURST, LEESE, LUDWIG, RIGHTMEYER, SCHAEFFER, STITZEL, WEIN, WEISER, WERNER, WOLLISON

Henry B. Levan is descended from Huguenot ancestry. His great-great-great grandfather, Daniel Levan, fled from France to Amsterdam, Holland, during the time when the Huguenots were persecuted. He was married in France to Marie Beau.

Isaac Levan, son of Daniel and Marie, emigrated from Amsterdam, Holland, and located in Exeter township, Berks Co., Pa., in about 1730, being one of the first settlers there. He was engaged in farming until the latter period of his life, when in 1770, he moved to Reading, Pa., where he died in August, 1786. He and his wife, Mary Margaret, had the following children: Abraham, Isaac, Daniel, Jacob, Mary (wife of Peter Feather) and Judith (wife of Samuel Weiser).

Jacob Levan Sr. , son of the emigrant, was born at the old homestead in Exeter township, Berks Co., Pa., about 1736 and died there in January, 1814. He was engaged in farming all his life. He was married to Susannah Ludwig, and had the following children: Abraham, Daniel, Jacob, Margaret (m. (first) Peter Rightmeyer, (second) John Wollison), Judith (m. Henry Leese), Susannah (m. John Stitzel), Elizabeth (m. Samuel Kurst), Mary (m. Henry Werner), Hannah (m. Godfrey Kershner), Catherine (m. Jacob Goodman), and Sarah (m. Adam Stitzel).

Jacob L. Levan, Jr., grandson of the emigrant, Isaac Levan, was born at the old homestead in Exeter township, Jan. 1852. He was married to Catherine Fegeley, of Richmond township, Berks Co., Pa., and they had the following children: Isaac; and Anna, who m. Capt. Henry Schaeffer.

Isaac Levan, son of Jacob L., was born at the old homestead in Exeter township, July 21, 1816, and died Jan. 7, 1837. He was married (first) to Rebecca Brumbach, daughter of Jacob Brumbach, and (second) to Louisa Wein, daughter of Henry Wein. His children were as follows: William, Jacob, Isaac, George (deceased), Henry B., Daniel (who died in infancy), and Rebecca (m. John Knorr).

Henry B. Levan, son of Isaac and Rebecca (Brumbach) Levan, has for nearly a quarter of a century been postmaster at Lorane, Exeter township, Berks county, where he has been engaged in a general merchandise and hotel business. He was born in Exeter township June 20, 1850, and was educated in the public schools. After the death of his father he went to live with Joseph Levan, his guardian, with whom he remained until nineteen years of age, when he entered the employ of the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company, as telegraph operator. He spent about eleven years in that employment. In 1883 he purchased property in Lorane, where he has since been located in business with the exception of two years. In addition to his mercantile business Mr. Levan has also dealt extensively in coal and feed, has served as postmaster since 1883, with the exception of the two years that he was out of business and has done much toward making Lorane the hustling, enterprising village that it is. He has always been esteemed and respected by his fellow-citizens, whose recognize and appreciate his many sterling qualities of character. In politics he is a Democrat, while fraternally he is connected with Reading Lodge, No. 62, F. & A. M.

In 1883 Mr. Levan was married to Isabella Ganser, daughter of Joseph Ganser, of Reading, and she died in 1893, when thirty-seven years of age. She was the mother of one child, Harvey Ralph, who is employed by his father in the store. Mr. Levan is a member of the Schwartzwald Reformed Church.


LEVAN, JACOB B.

p. 1052

Surnames: LEVAN, BEAU, FISHER, FEATHER, WISER, LUDWIG, RIGHTMEYER, WOOLISON, STITZEL, KURST, WERNER, KERSHNER, GOODMAN, LEESE, FEGLEY, SCHAEFFER, BRUMBACH, WEIN, KNORR, DETURK, BITTING, STAUFFER, VAN BUSKIRK, WENTZEL, DINKEL

Jacob B. Levan. One of the oldest and most honored families of Berks county, Pa., is that of Levan, members of which have distinguished themselves in the various works of life. A worthy representative of this family is found in Jacob B. Levan, a prominent and influential citizen of St. Lawrence, Exeter township.

Daniel Levan, great-great-great-grandfather of Jacob B., left France, and settled in Amsterdam, Holland, during the Huguenot persecution. He married in France Marie Beau.

The first of the family to come to America was Isaac Levan, son of Daniel and Marie (Beau) Levan, who was born in Holland in about 1700. He came to America in about 1730, this fact being established by the records of land grants made to him bearing the dates of 1731 and 1734 and 1737-38, as well as grants made him along the Schuylkill river, this land aggregating in all upward of 1,000 acres, most of which lay in Exeter township. Isaac Levan, the emigrant, built the tannery on the second land grant on the site where now the Brumbach Bros. Woolen Mill stands in St. Lawrence, and in 1758 sold it with nine acres to John Fisher, and afterward conveyed the first grant and remaining 123 acres of the second grant to his son Jacob Levan, great-grandfather of Jacob B. Isaac Levan and his wife Mary Margaret had these children: Abraham, Isaac, Daniel, Jacob, Mary (m. Peter Feather) and Judith (m. Samuel Wiser). Isaac Levan died in 1786 in the borough of Reading.

Jacob Levan, great-grandfather of Jacob B., born between 1736 and 1740, fell heir to a goodly portion of his father's estate, his possessions including the old homestead, known as the Cyrus Levan estate, in Exeter township. He also added to his original property by purchase, and at the time of his death, when he had been living retired for some years, he was considered one of the most substantial men and largest landowners in this section of Berks county. He married Susannah Ludwig, and they had a family of eleven children, three sons and eight daughters, namely: Abraham; Jacob L.; Daniel; Margaret m. (first) Peter Rightmeyer, (second) John Woolison; Susannah m. John Stitzel; Elizabeth m. Samuel Kurst; Mary m. Henry Werner; Hannah m. Godfrey Kershner; Catharine m. Jacob Goodman; Sarah m. Adam Stitzel; Judith m. Henry Leese. Jacob Levan died in 1814 was buried on the old homestead in a private graveyard located on his first land grant in Exeter township.

Jacob L. Levan, grandfather of Jacob B., was born in 1784. He was a farmer and owned between 500 to 600 acres of land, all in one body. He died in 1851 in the faith of the Reformed Church. Mr. Levan married Catherine Fegley, and she bore him two children: Anna m. Capt. Henry Schaeffer, of Exeter township; and Isaac.

Isaac Levan, son of Jacob, was an agriculturist all of his life in Exeter township, where he was a stanch Democrat and leading member of the Reformed Church. He died in 1857, at the age of forty-one years. Mr. Levan was married (first) to Rebecca Brumbach, daughter of Jacob Brumbach, and she died in 1853, when thirty-three years of age, having borne her husband these children: William, of the Reading National Bank; Jacob B.; Isaac B., a resident of Manheim, Lancaster county; George, who died in childhood; Daniel, who died in infancy, and Henry B., a merchant at Lorane. In 1856 Mr. Levan was married (second) to Louisa Wein, and one child was born to this union, Rebecca, wife of John Knorr, of Reading.

Jacob B. Levan was born Jan. 8, 1844, in Exeter township, where he attended the public schools, and later went to Oley Academy. In 1858 he went to live with his guardian, Josiah DeTurk, with whom he continued until he was nineteen years of age, and thereafter spent some time farming with Joseph Levan. At the age of twenty-four years Mr. Levan engaged in a hotel and mercantile business at Lorane, where he continued for four years, then engaging in farming, at which he continued until 1896. He became the owner of several farms, all of which he has since sold, and since 1896 he has been engaged at various occupations. He has always been active in movements having for their object the betterment of conditions in his community, has erected eight houses in St. Lawrence, was a promoter of the St. Lawrence

Water Company and attends to the plumbing therefor, and platted most of the land and sold the lots for the village of St. Lawrence. For fifteen years he served efficiently as township auditor.

On April 25, 1869, Mr. Levan was united in marriage with Miss Emma Stauffer, daughter of Abraham and Mariah (Bitting) Stauffer, of Bechtelsville and Allentown, and five children have been born to this union, namely: William lives in Mt. Penn borough; Rebecca m. William Van Buskirk, of Lebanon, superintendent of the cold punch department of the American Iron and Steel Company at Lebanon, and they have one son, Arthur; Jacob, who is engaged in butchering in the city of Reading, m. Cora Wentzel, and they have two children, Bessie and Margaret; George, and employe of the cold punch department of the American Iron and Steel Company at Lebanon, m. Minnie Dinkel, and has three children, Catherine, Charles and Amie R.; and Victor, who completed his fourth year in the United States Navy in May, 1908, has cruised in Asiatic waters, and is now an able seaman. Mr. and Mrs. Jacob B. Levan are member of the Schwartzwald Reformed Church, and Mr. Levan is a member of the cemetery board.


LEVAN, JACOB K.

p. 1546

Surnames: LEVAN, KAUFFMAN, DeTURCK, MOYER, HILBERT, MUTHART, BERTOLET, EBERHART

Jacob K. Levan lived on the old Levan homestead in Oley township, where he was born Aug. 23, 1849, and he died Dec. 24, 1905.

Daniel H. Levan, his father, was born Aug. 9, 1815, and he obtained the old family homestead from his father. He was a lifelong farmer, and his death occurred in March 1874. He married Hannah Kauffman, born Feb. 13, 1818, and they had three children: Ezra, of Friedensburg; Susan, who married Mahlon DeTurck; and Jacob K.

Jacob K. Levan was reared on the farm of which he later became the owner, and he devoted his life to agricultural pursuits. This farm contains 180 acres of good land; the barn was built by Mr. Levan's father, Daniel H., and the house was erected one hundred years ago by an earlier Levan. At his death Mr. Levan was laid to rest in Union cemetery. He was a member of Friedens Church (Reformed). In his political affiliations he was a Democrat; he was a school director in his district, being president of the board at the time of his death. In 1905 Mr. Levan commenced the erection of a comfortable modern home at Friedensburg, but this was not completed and had not been occupied when he died. The next spring his widow and family moved in, and they still reside there.

On May 16, 1874, Mr. Levan married Elizabeth H. Moyer, daughter of Nathan and Emeline (Hilbert) Moyer, and granddaughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Muthart) Moyer, both the father and grandfather being of Rockland township. Twelve children were born of this union: Charles, Daniel, Sallie, Kate (who married Hayman Bertolet, of Philadelphia, and has a daughter, Lena), Annie (who married Benneville Eberhart, foreman in the hosiery mills at Friedensburg), Lott, Minnie, Ada, Paul, Lizzie, Howard and Hester. Of these, four--Lizzie, Charles, Lott and Ada--died within twenty-four hours of diphtheria, and three more--Daniel, Sallie and Paul--about a week later of the same dread disease, and all seven are buried in a row in Union cemetery.

Mrs. Levan's home is charming, and it contains a number of heirlooms that are priceless. She has a set of china and an old corner closet that belonged to Mrs. Daniel H. Levan, to whom they descended through the Kauffmans.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:55:10 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.