Biographies from Historical and Biographical Annals by Morton Montgomery

LEINBACH, DANIEL G.

p. 625

Surnames: LEINBACH, GULDIN, LEVAN, HECKLER, MALLON, EVANS, ROLLAND

Daniel G. Leinbach, an aged citizen of Reading now living retired at No. 639 Pine street, was born in Exeter township, Berks county, Dec. 13, 1829, son of Frederick and Maria (Guldin) Leinbach.

Frederick Leinbach, father of Daniel G., was a blacksmith by trade, but owned a farm near Leesport and gave a considerable part of his time to managing that property. Later in life his farming interests were in Exeter township. He died at that second homestead aged fifty-seven years, leaving a widow and children. His wife, whose maiden name was Maria Guldin, lived to the age of sixty. Only five of their family still survive, namely: Daniel and Albert, retired; Mahlon; Jonathan G.; and Mary, widow of James Levan, a resident of Reading.

Daniel G. Leinbach received his education in the schools of his native township and between the terms worked at farming. When he reached the age of seventeen he turned his attention toward blacksmith work and under the instruction of his father became an adept at that trade, following it for six years. He then learned boiler making and after mastering that trade, secured a position in the works of the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company. The fact that he remained there for thirty-one years, sufficiently attests his efficiency as a worker. On Oct. 18, 1887, he retired from their employ, and for the next eleven years was employed by his brother J. G. Leinbach in the latter's mill. Since 1900, he has given up all active work, owing to advancing years and now lives retired at his home on Pine street. Mr. Leinbach has accumulated a comfortable property and owns considerable real estate, being the possessor of two houses in the First ward, two in the Second and one each in the Tenth and Sixteenth wards.

On Oct. 14, 1849, Mr. Leinbach married Catherine, daughter of John and Catherine (Heckler) Levan, and the following children have been born to them: Mary, m. to Frank Mallon; Ellen, m. to Charles Evans; Martha, m. to Samuel Rolland; Anna E., unmarried, who is her father's housekeeper. Mrs. Leinbach died Nov. 4, 1894, aged sixty-eight years and nine months, and was interred in Aulenbach's cemetery. Mr. Leinbach belongs to several fraternal orders, being a member of Mt. Penn Lodge, I. O. O. F.; of Freedom Circle, Brotherhood of the Union; and of the Rebekah Lodge, I. O. O. F. Religiously he is a member of the German Reformed Church of Reading. In his earlier days, during the war, Mr. Leinbach saw some military service, enlisting in 1862 for three months. His has been an industrious useful life, and he has well earned the freedom from care he now enjoys and the respect of the community which is so freely accorded him.


LEINBACH FAMILY

p. 1258

Surnames: LEINBACH, LERCH, KLEISS, SCHILLINGER, FREY, ZINZENDORF, HERMAN, RIEHM, GRAUL, SCHIEFFER, MILLER, OHNMACHT, HARTMAN, GOSH, BOAS, MOHN, KNABB, SEIBERT, REISS, WALBORN, REBER, UHRICH, DUNDORE, SEIDEL, BAUSCH, EVERHART, ALTHOUSE, LONG, KLEISS, BEECHER, RHOADS, KELLER, SCHMEHL, BABB, MARQUETTE, HINNERSHITZ, EISENBISE, YOUNG, MAULE, MANWILLER, GAMBLER, ANGSTADT, SCHWEITZER, RENINGER, SNYDER, PALM, WENTZEL, ROTHERMEL, BOYER, DICKINSON, STOUDT, SCHNECK, LLOYD, HERRING, GANSER, LEIBY, LEBO, HINTZ, STERN, BECKER, REIFSNYDER, PRICE, RAUDENBUSH, BARD, STUBER, MOYER

The Leinbach family had its early home in the district of Wetterau, Germany, where the first known ancestor of the Berks county (Pa.) family was Henry Leinbach, who married Barbara Lerch.

Johannes Leinbach, Sr., son of Henry and Barbara, was born in Langen-Selbold, Wetterau, March 9, 1674; he was baptized by the Reformed pastor. In his native land he was an organist. On Oct. 2, 1700, he m. Anna Elizabeth Kleiss, who was born in Eidengup, Wetterau, Feb. 2, 1680, daughter of Adam and Elizabeth (Schillinger) Kleiss, and was baptized in the Lutheran faith, to which her parents adhered. Johannes Leinbach, Sr., came to Pennsylvania Sept. 11, 1723, with his three sons and two daughters: Frederic, John Henry, John (Johannes, Jr.), Joanna Maria and Maria Barbara, the family settling in Oley township, Berks county. He was "vorsteher" of the Oley congregation, into which office he was inducted April 9, 1742.

Frederic Leinbach, son of Johannes, Sr., was born in Hochstadt, near Frankfort on the Main, July 15, 1703, and was baptized by the Reformed pastor, Rev. Mr. Bender. He was a tailor by trade. On June 2, 1737, he m. Elizabeth Frey, of Skippack, who was born there July 1, 1719, and was baptized by Count Zinzendorf May 6, 1742.

John Henry Leinbach, son of Johannes, Sr., was born Nov. 26, 1705, in Hochstadt, and was baptized in his infancy by the Reformed pastor, Rev. Mr. Bender. On Nov. 2, 1739, he m. Joanna Herman, born in Conestoga March 16, 1718, and baptized by Count Zinzendorf May 6, 1742, the same day as Elizabeth Frey, above mentioned.

Johannes Leinbach, Jr., son of Johannes, Sr., was born in Hochstadt Feb 13, 1712. He accompanied his parents to Pennsylvania in 1723, and settled as a farmer. On Aug. 12, 1735, he m. Catharine Riehm, of Muddy Creek, and they had eleven children, one of whom died in infancy, the others being: Frederick, John Daniel, Lewis, Abraham, Benjamin, Joseph, Elizabeth, Maria Barbara, Johanna and Catharine.

John Daniel Leinbach, second son of Johannes, Jr., and Catharine (Riehm) Leinbach, born in 1746, died in Oley April 8, 1817, aged seventy-one years, two months, nineteen days. On Nov. 9, 1768, he m. Catharine Graul, who died April 6, 1783, the mother of six children: (1) Salome, born March 9, 1771; (2) Maria Sybilla, born Nov. 17, 1773; (3) Susanna, born Nov. 1, 1775; (4) John (Johannes), born April 3, 1778 (sponsor, John Leinbach); (5) John Henry, born Aug. 29, 1780 (sponsors, John Schieffer and wife); and (6) John Daniel, born Jan. 21, 1783 (sponsors, Philip Miller and wife). John Daniel Leinbach m. (second) a Lerch, who died in 1788; she bore him two children: (7) Abraham, born March 8, 1787 (sponsors, Frederick Ohnmacht and wife); and (8) Catharine, born June 9, 1788 (sponsor, Catharine Lerch). In 1789 John Daniel Leinbach m. (third) Mary Magdalena Hartman, and the children of this marriage were: (9) Jacob, born Sept. 24, 1790; (10) Christian, the grandfather of Peter M., of Bern township, and W. M., of Reading, born Dec. 24, 1791 (sponsors, Christian Gosh and wife); (11) Benjamin, born Sept. 25, 1793 (sponsors, Benjamin and Margaret Leinbach); (12) Joseph, born Aug. 12, 1795, died Nov. 6, 1795; (13) William, born Aug. 27, 1796 (sponsor, Pastor Boas); (14) Samuel, born April 14, 1798 (sponsors, Daniel Hartman and Maria Lerch); (15) Maria Magdalena, born April 21, 1800 (sponsor, Maria Magdalena Hartman); (16) Thomas H., born Jan. 18, 1802 (sponsors, Peter Mohn and wife, Magdalena); (17) Charles (a minister of the Reformed church), born Nov. 7, 1802 (sponsor, Rev. Frederick Herman, Jr., who baptized him); (18) Salome, born Feb. 25, 1804, died in early youth (sponsors, John Knabb and wife, Salome); (19) Frederick, born Aug. 9, 1807 (sponsors, Frederick Ohnmacht and wife); (20) Solomon, born June 9, 1809 (sponsor, Rev. Mr. Boas); (21) Rachel, born April 14, 1813, died May 10, 1815.

Rev. Thomas H. Leinbach, son of John Daniel, born Jan. 18, 1802, died March 31, 1864, aged sixty-two years, two months, thirteen days, became a clergyman in the Reformed Church. He was born on the old Leinbach homestead near Spies's Church, in Oley township, was reared upon the farm, and was educated by the Rev. Dr. Herman, of near Boyertown. Practically he was a self-made man, as were many of the successful workers of that day. He was a man of strong constitution and fine physique, had a powerful voice and was an excellent singer. He was a strong catechist. About 1825 he settled at the parsonage of the old Tulpehocken Church, in Berks county, living there until his death, which occurred at Millersburg, Berks county, where he had preached continuously for thirty-eight years. He was one of the best known ministers of Berks county, and was highly esteemed. On Aug. 24, 1824, he m. Elizabeth Seibert, born May 15, 1806, daughter of Michael and Catharine (Reiss) Seibert, of near Womelsdorf, died April 14, 1891, aged eighty-four years, ten months, twenty-nine days. They had thirteen children, five sons and eight daughters, of whom one son and two daughters died in infancy and are buried at the Tulpehocken Church. Of the others, (1) Rev. Dr. Aaron S. Leinbach lived and died in Reading, passing away at the age of seventy-one years; one of his sons, John Hiester Leinbach, was a Reformed minister. (2) Maria R. m. Dr. Isaac Walborn, of Myerstown, Pa. (3) Elvina m. Rev. Joel L. Reber, of Berks county, latterly of Hanover, York Co., Pa.; their only son, Thomas N., is a minister of the Reformed Church. (4) Sarah M. m. Gen. William Uhrich, of Herndon, Va., who was a general in the Civil war. (5) Rev. Thomas Calvin is mentioned further on. (6) Emma L. died at Myerstown Sept. 26, 1902. (7) Jane P. m. John Uhrich, of Myerstown, and died June 12, 1874. (8) Charles H. died Oct. 6, 1891, aged sixty-one years, eight months, five days. (9) Rev. Samuel A., of Reading, Pa., is mentioned further on. (10) Clara N. m. Reilly J. Dundore, of Myerstown, and died aged fifty-one years, one month, twenty-four days.

Rev. Thomas Calvin Leinbach, late of Womelsdorf, Pa., was born in Jackson township, Lebanon Co., Pa., Dec. 31, 1837. His boyhood days were spent upon the farm. His early education was obtained at the Myerstown Academy, at Myerstown, Lebanon county, and was followed by a course in the preparatory department of Franklin and Marshall College. In 1854 he entered the same college, from which he graduated in 1858. The following September he entered the Reformed Theological Seminary at Mercersburg, Franklin Co., Pa., from which he graduated with honor in 1860; he was awarded the German oration. He then became an assistant to his father, Rev. Thomas H. Leinbach, pastor of the Tulpehocken charge, which consisted of Trinity, of Tulpehocken; Salem's, of Millersburg; Klopp's, of Hamlin, Lebanon county; Kimmerling's, Northeast, of Lebanon, Pa.; Gushert's, of Mt. Zion; Schaefferstown, and Millbach. He then received a call from Schaefferstown, Millbach and Newmanstown, Lebanon county, and served in connection with these three Reamstown, and Swamp Church, in Lancaster county. In the course of several years he resigned this charge, and on March 4, 1866, he accepted a call from the Bernville charge, composed of St. Thomas, at Bernville; North Heidelberg; Zion's, at Strausstown; St. John's, at Host; Christ, in Jefferson township; St. Paul's, Robesonia. He here remained, active in the ministry, until his death, May 1, 1909, his son, Rev. Edwin Samuel, assisting him. In these years Rev. Mr. Leinbach preached over four thousand sermons, officiated at the funerals of over 2,535 people, baptized 4,435, confirmed 950, and married 1.425 couples. He was a member of Williamson Lodge, No. 307, F. & A. M. The comments of the daily and church papers show that he was recognized as one of the ablest catechists in the Reformed Church, and was ranked among the best German preachers of his generation. "After life's toil he sleeps well; nay, he doth not sleep, but lives -lives in the eternal morning and in the hearts of all who knew him." His was a strong, cheerful, commanding personality.

On Sept. 6, 1870, Rev. Mr. Leinbach m. Maria R. Seibert, born June 16, 1840, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Seidel) Seibert, farming people of Marion township, Berks county. Mr. Seibert was a commissioner of Berks county at the time the present court-house was erected. To Thomas C. and Maria R. (Seibert) Leinbach were born eleven children, seven of whom are deceased. The survivors are as follows: (1) Rev. Paul Seibert Leinbach, now of Easton, Pa., prepared for college at the so-called Palatinate College, in Lebanon county, graduated from Franklin and Marshall College in 1894 with highest honors, entered the Theological Seminary at Lancaster, Pa., and graduated from that institution three years later. (2) Rev. Edwin Samuel Leinbach was born Sept. 12, 1878, in Womelsdorf, Berks Co., Pa., and received his early education under the parental roof, also attending the public schools of his native town. He subsequently continued his studies at Myerstown, spending three years at the Albright Collegiate Institute, after which he took a course at Franklin and Marshall College. His theological course was taken at the Seminary in Lancaster, where he finished in 1903, afterward taking a two years' post-graduate course. After his graduation he assisted his father as associate pastor of the Bernville charge (which is composed of six congregations), being stationed at Womelsdorf, and upon his death succeeded him in that charge. He is at present State chaplain of the P. O. S. of A., and also county chaplain of that order. On June 16, 1903, he m. Miss Carrie M. Bausch, and they have had one daughter. (3) Oliver Eugene Leinbach is a clerk in the employ of the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company, and lives in Reading. (4) Rev. Elmer G. Leinbach graduated from the same institutions in which his brothers were educated, and at present has a charge at Millersburg, Dauphin Co., Pennsylvania.

Rev. Samuel A. Leinbach, youngest son of Rev. Thomas H., was born in Jackson township, Lebanon Co., Pa., June 10, 1844. He graduated from Franklin and Marshall College in 1864, and from the Theological Seminary at Mercersburg in 1867. After his graduation he was assistant to his brother, Thomas C., for one year, when he received and accepted a call to the Egypt charge, in Lehigh county, serving it for sixteen years. In 1884 he accepted a call to the Leesport charge, which he served until Classis reconstructed the charge, and he discontinued at Leesport and Gernants, and continued at Epler's, Bern and St. Michael's. In 1904 he resigned the two former congregations and is now pastor at St. Michael's only, a congregation served by the three brothers and a nephew continuously for a period of forty-three years. On June 27, 1872, Rev. Samuel A. Leinbach m. Margaret H., daughter of Dr. Charles W. and Elizabeth Everhart, of Sellersville, Pa., To this union came one daughter, Margaret Grace, wife of E. E. Althouse, editor of the Sellersville Herald. He m. (second) in 1879 Mary Catharine, daughter of William S. and Sarah Long, of Durham, Pa., and they have one son, Samuel A., a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania and now a practising physician in Quakertown, Pennsylvania.

John (Johannes) Leinbach, eldest son of John Daniel, born in Oley April 3, 1773, died in 1860, in his eighty-third year. By occupation he was a farmer. He m. Elizabeth Kleiss, and they had five children, of whom two died young. The others were: Mary (m. George Beecher), David (m. Elizabeth Rhoads), and John.

John Leinbach, son of John (Johannes) and Elizabeth (Kleiss), born in Exeter township Jan. 16, 1814, died Sept. 26, 1900, aged eighty-six years, eight months, ten days. He owned a fifteen-acre truck farm, which he successfully conducted while teaching school. He was one of the earliest teachers in the county, teaching in the German pay school for some years. He also taught in the old Moravian school, which was situated on a seven-acre plot of ground in Oley township. After the establishment of the public school system he taught several terms at Spies's Church. In politics he was a Whig, and he took an active interest in his party. The Leinbachs generally have been strong advocates of Republican principles. In 1839 Mr. Leinbach m. Louisa Keller, daughter of Conrad and Catharine (Schmehl) Keller. They had children as follows: Tyler is mentioned below; Catharine m. Franklin Hartman; Dallas m. Elizabeth Babb; Llewellyn m. Elizabeth Marquette; Mary Ann m. Oliver Hinnershitz; Amanda died in 1861, aged eight years; John died in 1858, aged one year; Louisa m. John Eisenbise, of Reading; Albert died in 1861, aged two years; Ellen m. Henry Young, of Reading.

Tyler Leinbach, eldest son of John and Louisa, was born in Exeter township, Berks county, Sept. 19, 1841. He attended the schools of Oley, Exeter and Alsace townships for some years, and was hired out among the farmers until he was twenty-nine years of age. When the Civil war broke out he went in defense of his country, enlisting Aug. 22, 1861, in Company K, 93d Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the engagements at Williamsburg and Fair Oaks (in Virginia), the Seven Days' battle, and Malvern Hill. He then became one of four teamsters of his regiment until he was mustered out, April 23, 1865. After the war he again engaged at farm work for a year, and then went to Montgomery county, Ohio, where he remained seven months. He next went to Elkhart county, Ind., where he made his home until 1869, when he returned to Berks county, Pennsylvania.

On Feb. 14, 1871, Mr. Leinbach m. Anna, daughter of Josiah and Catharine (Maule) Manwiller, and granddaughter of Daniel and Sallie (Gambler) Manwiller. To Mr. and Mrs. Leinbach have been born children as follows: Ida, born Dec. 24, 1871, died July 22, 1899, m. Samuel Angstadt; Kate, born Jan. 28, 1874, died Feb. 11, 1883; Calvin M., born Aug. 26, 1875, a clerk in the Customs House, Philadelphia, m. Emma Schweitzer; John E., born May 24, 1877, a cigar manufacturer at Stony Creek Mills, Pa., m. Amelia Reninger (he is a member of the M. W. A.); Charles M., born Oct. 24, 1879, clerk in the Reading post-office, m. Jennie Snyder; Annie, born Oct. 30, 1881, died aged one year, three months; Howard M., born Nov. 2, 1884, is a medical student in the University of Pennsylvania; Louella, born Jan. 23, 1887, who was a school teacher in Exeter township, m. Edwin F. Palm, assistant secretary of the Y. M. C. A. of Buffalo, N. Y.; and Josiah M., a tool-maker by trade, born Jan. 2, 1889, is at home (he is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, Camp No. 9,289, Reading, Pa.). Mr. Leinbach and his family are members of Spies's Union Church, of which he has been deacon and elder. Since 1906 he has resided in Mt. Penn borough, where he has a comfortable home on Cumberland street. He is now living retired from active work, and is in the enjoyment of the esteem and respect of all who know him.

John Henry Leinbach, the fifth child of John Daniel Leinbach, was born in Oley township Aug. 29, 1780. In his later years he settled in Muhlenberg township, where he cultivated his large farm, located on the present site of Rosedale. He m. Joanna Herman, and to them were born a number of children, among whom was Jonas Leinbach, the grandfather of William O. Leinbach, of Mt. Penn borough.

Jonas Leinbach, born Nov. 30, 1820, in Muhlenberg township, died Nov. 24, 1902. He was a wheelwright for some years, and for eight years worked for the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company, on leaving whose employ he went to a farm in Cumru township. There he lived nine years, and then moved to the farm of the late Judge Stitzel, in Muhlenberg township, where he remained two years, finally settling on the Judge's large farm in Richmond township, where he lived for twenty-five years. He was twice married, and had the distinction of being the father of more children than any other man in Berks county, having had thirteen children by each of his wives. His first wife, Rebecca Wentzel, was the mother of children as follows: Harriet, Ellen (who died unmarried), Percival, Thomas, Mary (m. William Rothermel, of Temple, Pa.), Katie (m. Henry Boyer), William (died single), Emma (born June 22, 18--, who died Feb. 8, 1876), Rebecca (m. Theodore Dickinson), Sarah (m. Daniel Stoudt), Daniel (m. Annie Schneck) and -----------. Mr. Leinbach's second marriage was to Harriet Lloyd, born Dec. 28, 1837, died Dec. 25, 1897, and to them there were also born thirteen children, namely: Jonas, a molder of Reading, m. Emma Herring; Alice m. Andrew Ganser, a carpenter of Reading; Laura m. Alfred Leiby, of Reading; Annie m. Monroe Lebo, of Reading; Henry, of Reading, m. Lena Hintz; Nora m. Jacob Hintz, a puddler, of Reading; Joseph L. has a sketch elsewhere in this work; Minnie m. Solon Stern, foreman in an underwear factory of Reading; Lillie died unmarried, aged twenty-one years; Emma died young; three children died in infancy.

Percival Leinbach, the father of William O., was born March 23, 1844, in Muhlenberg township, and was reared on his father's farm, on which he continued to reside until nineteen years of age, when he learned the blacksmith's trade with John Becker, of Reading. He has followed that occupation to the present time. For a number of years he was located in Reading, but now resides in Mt. Penn. He is a Democrat in politics, and for one term was a school director in Lower Alsace township; fraternally he is connected with the K. G. E., Castle No. 63, of Reading. Mr. Leinbach is a Reformed member of the Alsace Church. In 1865 he m. Catharine Reifsnyder, daughter of Samuel and Judith (Price) Reifsnyder, and to this union were born three children: Henry, a coal receiver for the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company, in Reading (m. Sallie Raudenbush); William Oliver; and Emma, who died in 1875, aged six years.

William Oliver Leinbach was born Nov. 16, 1867, in Reading, and was taken to Alsace (now Lower Alsace) township by his parents when a mere lad. There he attended the common schools until fifteen years of age. When sixteen years old he began to learn the blacksmith's trade with his father, for whom he worked thirteen years, and in 1897 began working in Reading, being employed for two years with Harry Bard, a carriage builder. Since 1899 he has been with the Keystone Wagon Works. He is an excellent mechanic and his services are highly valued by his employers.

In his political views Mr. Leinbach is a Democrat. He was auditor of Lower Alsace township for four years, and on the organization of Mt. Penn borough was elected one of its first councilmen, serving on the fire and approving committees. He is a member of Castle No. 63, K. G. E., of Reading; Camp No. 230, P. O. S. of A., of St. Lawrence, Pa.; and Wyomissing Council, No. 1584, Royal Arcanum, Reading, Pa. He was one of the charter members of Trinity Reformed Church of Mt. Penn, and has been janitor thereof since its erection, in 1898. He has been secretary of the Sunday-school since its organization in 1890 and in twelve years' time missed but five Sundays in attendance.

On July 27, 1887, Mr. Leinbach m. Lizzie Stuber, daughter of Jacob and Barbara (Moyer) Stuber, deceased, of Reading, and by this union there is one daughter, Emma Victoria, born Nov. 6, 1890.


LEINBACH, GEORGE A.

p. 592

Surnames: LEINBACH, ALTHOUSE, RIEHM, SHARTLE, SHENK, LONG

George A. Leinbach, late of Reading, who was well known in business circles as the junior member of the firm of Leinbach & Bros., died at his residence, No. 611 Walnut street, Reading, at four o'clock, Thursday afternoon, Sept. 21, 1905. He was born in Bern township Sept. 29, 1843, son of Christian and Susan (Althouse) Leinbach.

The Leinbach family is an old one in Berks county. Mr. George A. Leinbach's line of descent from the earliest known American ancestor, Johannes Leinbach, Sr., was through Johannes, Jr. (and his wife Catharine Riehm), John Daniel (member of the State Assembly from Berks county in 1790), and Christian (and his wife Susan Althouse).

Picture of George LeinbachAt the age of eighteen years George A. Leinbach enlisted in Company H., 104th P. V. I., being mustered in Sept. 5, 1862. On Oct. 21, 1864, he was promoted to sergeant-major of the regiment, and he served until this close of the war, receiving his honorable discharge June 16, 1865. In the fall of the same year Mr. Leinbach and his brother, Joseph A., formed a partnership and engaged in the clothing business, continuing thus until the death of George A. In business circles Mr. Leinbach was known as an active and progressive man, always able to see an opportunity and grasp it. His business principles were hard steady work, fair, square dealing, courteous and gentle manners. The business which he and his brother started gradually enlarged until their establishment became the leading and best known clothing house in the city of Reading.

Mr. Leinbach never took an active part in politics, but in religious work was very active, being very charitable, and distributing much in that way. He was a member of St. Paul's Reformed Church, and was a member of the Consistory. At the last session of the General Synod of the Reformed Church before his death Mr. Leinbach was elected a member of the Board of Ministerial Relief.

Mr. Leinbach married Miss Emma C. Shartle, daughter of Benneville and Mary (Shenk) Shartle. She survives her husband and makes her home in Reading. The only child born to Mr. and Mrs. Leinbach still surviving is Katharine L, wife of C. Clarence Long, of Reading, and mother of a son, George Leinbach Long.

George Leinbach Long, grandson of George A. Leinbach, possesses a beautiful claw foot Chippendale chair, which was used by John Daniel Leinbach in the Colonial Assembly which met at Philadelphia in 1735. The chair was the property of Pennsylvania, but when Mr. Leinbach's term of office expired he bought it and brought it home, and it has since descended to the nearest and eldest male Leinbach. Its history as printed on the back of the chair is as follows: "Daniel Leinbach, of Gilbertsville, Montgomery Co., was a member of the Colonial Assembly held in the State House of Philadelphia, 1735, and when his term had expired he bought the chair he had used in the Assembly from the State as a memento, paying $5.00 for the unique piece of furniture."


LEINBACH, JAMES B.

p. 582

Surnames: LEINBACH, BARTO, LERCH, KLEISS, RIEHM, HARTMAN, SNYDER, RITTER, GLASE, GULDIN, GRIM, HUNTER, WOLF, ERMENTROUT, FELLEN, HERRMANN, SAILER, GRING, BRUMBACH, MILLER, SNAVELY

James B. Leinbach, a retired citizen residing in Friedensburg, and one of the best known musicians in Berks county, was born in Oley township, July 10, 1846, son of Daniel S. and Susanna H. (Barto) Leinbach, and a member of one of the oldest and most prominent families of the county.

The earliest known ancestors of the Leinbachs of Berks county were Henry Leinbach and his wife Barbara Lerch, of Wetterau, Germany. From them the line of descent to James B. Leinbach is through Johannes, Sr., and Anna Elizabeth (Kleiss); Johannes, Jr., and Catharine (Riehm); John Daniel and Mary Magdalena (Hartman); Benjamin and Catharine (Snyder); and Daniel S. and Susanna H. (Barto).

Benjamin Leinbach, son of John Daniel, and grandfather of James B., was born on his father's homestead in Oley township, Sept. 25, 1793, and his sponsors were Benjamin and Margaret Leinbach. He died in Oley Oct. 29, 1851. By trade he was a tailor, and he followed that occupation in his neighborhood for many years. In those days it was customary for the tailors to visit the farmers, and make the clothes for the family. These clothes were of home spun, the pioneers raising their own flax and weaving the cloth. Mr. Leinbach was buried at Friedensburg. He was twice married. His first wife, Catharine Snyder, was a daughter of Daniel Snyder, of Exeter township. She bore him three sons and two daughters: Daniel S.; Augustus died without issue; Dr. Benjamin died without family; Lucy Ann m. Benjamin Ritter, and died leaving no children; and Hannah m. William Glase, and reared a large family. Mr. Leinbach m. (second) Catharine Guldin, and two children were born of this marriage: Sarah died in 1908, aged seventy-six years, unmarried; and Israel G. died in 1907, aged seventy-two years, leaving children -Benjamin, Charles and Emma (wife of Aaron Grim).

Daniel S. Leinbach, son of Benjamin, was born in Oley township Feb. 24, 1819, and he died Jan. 3, 1881. In his earlier life he was a farmer, but later became associated as clerk with B. A. Glase in his large general store. His last years were passed in Friedensburg and the last year of his life he lived retired, in the residence now occupied by his son, James B. He married Susanna H. Barto, daughter of Benjamin and Catharine (Hunter) Barto. She was born Nov. 16, 1826, and died April 17, 1901. They had one son, James B.

James B. Leinbach was reared under the parental roof, and obtained his education in Oley Academy under the instruction of Dr. D. M. Wolf. In 1867, Prof. John S. Ermentrout licensed him to teach, and for twelve consecutive terms he was in charge of the Palm school in his native township. When only ten years of age he began his musical education under Samuel Fellen, a native German of high ability, and later he passed under the instruction of Frederick Herrmann, a student of Leipsic University. In 1867 he began teaching music to the youth of his own district, having from thirty to forty pupils in Oley and surrounding townships. Since 1863 he has served as church organist, beginning that year in Friedens Church in Oley township, and in 1871 he went to Schwartzwald congregation; from 1875 to 1886 he served the congregation at New Jerusalem in Rockland township. He has officiated at more than two thousand funerals. He and his family belong to the Reformed Congregation at Friedensburg. Since 1893 he has served as an elder, and in 1908 was made superintendent of the Sunday school. He has always been active in Sunday school work, becoming a teacher when he was only fourteen years old. In politics he is a Republican, and always takes a keen interest in his party's welfare.

Since his retirement from active business, he has devoted his time to the management of his farms. Two of these came under his supervision through his wife, one in Exeter containing 135 acres, and one in Spring township, 120 acres.

On May 27, 1875, Mr. Leinbach married Amelia Sailer, daughter of Adam H. and Mary Ann (Gring) Sailer. Two children have been born of this union: (1) Clement Waldo, a graduate of Franklin and Marshall College, class of 1898, taught school for four terms in the Oley township high school, and since the spring of 1907 has been connected with A. J. Brumbach's pants factory. He m. Chrissie Miller, daughter of Henry Miller, of Monroe county and has three children: Mary Evelyn, Anna Magdalene and Margaret Genevieve. (2) Rev. Henry Jerome was educated in Oley Academy, Franklin and Marshall College, class of 1901, and the Theological Seminary of the Reformed Church of the United States, at Lancaster, Pa., graduating in 1904. He was ordained and licensed the same year at Reading, and for upwards of three years served Olivet congregation, Reading, but in the fall of 1907 accepted a call to Jonestown, Lebanon county. He m. Mary Snavely, daughter of George Snavely, of Spangsville, and has a son, Carl.


LEINBACH, J. CALVIN

p. 1337

Surnames: LEINBACH, LERCH, KLEISS, SCHILLINGER, FREY, RIEHM, GRAUL, SCHIEFFER, MILLER, OHNMACHT, LERCH, HARTMAN, BOAS, GOSH, MOHN. KNABB, HERMAN, HARTZ, SMITH, ESTERLY, ALTHOUSE, SHEARER, GRAEFF, VAN REED, ALEXANDER, POTTEIGER, BEIDLER

J. Calvin Leinbach, who for nearly fifteen years has been engaged at the hatting trade in West Reading borough, is a native of Bern township, born April 17, 1855, son of Christian Leinbach, and a representative of an old German family early settled in Berks county. The Leinbach family had its early home in the district of Wetterau, Germany, where the first known ancestor of the Berks county family was Henry Leinbach, who married Barbara Lerch.

Johannes Leinbach, Sr., son of Henry and Barbara, was born in Langenselbold, Wetterau, March 9, 1674, and was baptized by the Reformed pastor. In his native land he was an organist. On Oct. 2, 1700, he married Anna Elizabeth Kleiss. He came to Pennsylvania Sept. 11, 1723, with his three sons and two daughters: Frederic, Henry, John, Joanna Maria and Maria Barbara. Mrs. Anna Elizabeth (Kleiss) Leinbach was born in Eidengup, Wetterau, Feb. 2, 1680, daughter of Adam and Elizabeth (Schillinger) Kleiss, and was baptized in the Lutheran faith, to which her parents adhered. Johannes Leinbach, Sr., was a "vorsteher" of the Oley congregation, into which office he was inducted April 9, 1742.

Frederic Leinbach, son of Johannes, Sr., was born in Hochstadt, near Frankfort-on-the-Main, July 15, 1703, and was baptized by the Reformed pastor, Rev. Bender. He was a tailor by trade. On June 2, 1737, he married Elizabeth Frey, of Skippack, who was born there July 1, 1719, and was baptized by Count Zinzendorf May 6, 1742.

Johannes Leinbach, Jr., son of Johannes, Sr., was born in Hochstadt Feb. 13, 1712. He accompanied his parents to Pennsylvania in 1723, and settled as a farmer. On Aug. 12, 1735 he married Catharine Riehm, of Muddy Creek, and they had eleven children, one of whom died in infancy, the others being: Frederic, John, Louis, Abraham, Benjamin, Joseph, Elizabeth, Maria Barbara, Johanna and Catharine.

John Daniel Leinbach, son of Johannes, Jr., and Catharine (Riehm) Leinbach, died in Oley April 8, 1817, aged seventy-one years, two months, nineteen days. On Nov. 9, 1768, he married Catharine Graul, who died April 6, 1783, the mother of six children: Salome, born March 9, 1771, sign of the Goat; Maria Sybilla, born Nov. 17, 1773, sign of the Goat; Susanna, born Nov. 1, 1775, sign of Waterman; John (Johannes), born April 3, 1778, sign of Cancer (sponsor, John Leinbach); John Henry, born Aug. 29, 1780, sign of the Virgin (sponsors John Schieffer and wife); and John Daniel, born June 21, 1783, sign of the Ram (sponsors, Philip Miller and wife). John Daniel Leinbach married a second time, and this wife bore him two children. Abraham, born March 8, 1787, sign of the Scorpion (sponsors Mr. Ohnmacht and wife); and Catharine, born June 9, 1788, sign of the Virgin (sponsor, Catharine Lerch). In 1789 John Daniel Leinbach married (third) Mary Magdalena Hartman, and the children of this marriage were: Jacob, born Sept. 24, 1790; Christian, born Nov. 24, 1791 (sponsors, Christian Gosh and wife); Benjamin, born Sept. 26, 1793 (sponsors, Benjamin and Margaret Leinbach); Joseph, born Aug. 12, 1795, died Nov. 6, 1795; William, born Aug. 27, 1796 (sponsor, Pastor Boas); Samuel, born April 14, 1798 (sponsors, Daniel Hartman and Maria Lerch); Maria Magdalena, born April 21, 1800 (sponsor, Maria Magdalena Hartman); Thomas H., born Jan. 18, 1802 (sponsors, Peter Mohn and wife, Magdalena); Salome, born Feb. 25, 1804, died in early youth (sponsors, John Knabb and wife, Salome); Frederick, born Aug. 9, 1807 (sponsors, Frederick Ohnmacht and wife); Solomon, born June 9, 1809 (sponsor, Rev. Boas); Rachel, born April 14, 1813, died May 10, 1815; and Charles, born Nov. 7, 1815 (sponsor, Rev. Frederick Herman, Jr., who baptized him).

William Leinbach, son of John Daniel, born Aug. 27, 1796, became an extensive land owner along the western side of the Schuylkill river, and he owned the land now embraced in West Reading borough. He was a farmer by occupation, and was a leading man of his day. He is buried in the family plot in the Charles Evans cemetery. His children were: Christian R.; Priscilla, who married Joseph Hartz; Maria, who married John Miller; Levi and Enoch, twins; Simon, who died young; and Ellen, who married George Smith, of Pottstown.

Christian R. Leinbach, son of William, was born in Spring township, near the Penn street bridge. He followed farming as a vocation, and also for about twenty years was a paper manufacturer. His industry and close attention to business won him a fair fortune. He was a man of wide acquaintance, and he was highly respected for his many good qualities. In his political tendencies he was a Republican, and his fraternal connection was with the Odd Fellows. With his family he belonged to Kissingers Union Church. His remains rest in the Charles Evans cemetery. His wife was Catharine Esterly, daughter of Amos Esterly. Their children were: William, of West Reading; Annie, who married Peter A. Althouse, of Reading; Clara, who married Levi Shearer, of Reading Frank, a farmer of Bern township; J. Calvin; Catharine, deceased wife of Charles Graeff, of Reading; and Timothy, a bookkeeper of Reading.

J. Calvin Leinbach, son of Christian R., worked on his father's farm, and in his paper mill until he was of age. In 1877 he took a trip to Indiana and Illinois, where he worked at farm work, but a year later he returned home and entered the Van Reed Paper Mill, situated along the Tulpehocken. Here he worked for Mr. Charles L. Van Reed for seventeen years, his long term of service being the best evidence of his ability. In the spring of 1893 he came to West Reading, and has since made it his home. Previous to his removal here he had erected a commodious two and one-half story brick residence at No. 526 Penn avenue. After coming to West Reading he learned the hatting trade at the E. W. Alexander Hat Company, and there he has continued to the present time.

Mr. Leinbach has always been an active Republican. For three years he served Spring township with great credit as school director. When West Reading was incorporated as a borough he was chosen by the people to serve as one of the first school directors. He has taken a keen interest in the schools, and his sound practical judgment has had much to do with the efficiency of the system in his district. His social connections are with the Wyomissing Council, Royal Arcanum, No. 1584, in which he is a charter member; Reading Castle, No. 40, K. G. E.; and No. 500, P. O. S. of A., Reading. He belongs to Sinking Spring Reformed Church.

On March 4, 1882, Mr. Leinbach married Annie C. Potteiger, daughter of Levi and Barbara (Beidler) Potteiger, of Spring township. They have had two children: Warren C., a machinist, who has now taken up electrical engineering; and J. Lester, who died aged five years.

Transcriber's Note:

John Daniel Leinbach married Nov. 9, 1768 Catharine Graul, "who died April 6, 1783." John Daniel, son of John Daniel and Catharine Graul Leinbach, was "born June 21, 1783." (Barbara)


LEINBACH, JONATHAN G.

p. 720

Surnames: LEINBACH, GULDIN, LEVAN, BRUMBACH, FISHER, SHOUSE, DAVIS, SHADEL, REIFF, BURKHART

Jonathan G. Leinbach, of Reading, senior member of the J. G. Leinbach Company, comes of an old Berks county family. He was born near Leesport, June 14, 1837, son of Frederick and Maria (Guldin) Leinbach.

Frederick Leinbach, the father, was born in Berks county. While he thoroughly learned the blacksmith's trade and followed it more or less all his life, he also engaged in farming near Leesport, giving the major part of his time to this work. Later in life his farming interests were all in Exeter township. He died in Reading at the age of fifty-seven years, and his wife, whose maiden name was Maria Guldin, lived to the age of sixty. Only five of their family still survive, namely; Daniel, Albert, Mahlon, Jonathan G. and Mary, the latter being now the widow of James Levan, and a resident of Reading.

Picture of Jonathan LeinbachJonathan G. Leinbach acquired most of his education in the public schools of Exeter township, and then began helping his father in the blacksmith shop. His inclination for a commercial career early showed itself, however, and when but eleven years of age he obtained a position with William Brumbach, a manufacturer of cloth, and remained with him for several years. He left that work to go to York, Pa., to run a woolen-mill, and spent two years there, after which he returned to Reading and entered the employ of the Wyomissing Woolen Company in their factory on South Fifth street. This occupied his attention for two years, with a break of ten months when he was in the army during the Civil war. In 1862 he enlisted in Company I, 128th Pa. V. I., and during his term of enlistment he saw considerable active service. He was taken prisoner at Chancellorsville and incarcerated for a time in the famous Libby prison.

Mr. Leinbach's first connection with the Reading Woolen Mills was as manager under Mr. Fisher, and later under Robert M. Shouse. In 1867 he was taken into partnership, and the firm name became R. M. Shouse & Co. They did a considerable business then, employing fifty hands and having an annual production valued at $100,000. Their association continued until 1875, when Mr. Leinbach became for a short time the sole owner. But he very soon formed a partnership with Aaron S. Leinbach and William F. P. Davis, under the firm name of J. G. Leinbach & Co. A little later John Shadel was added to the firm, while in 1887 the personnel was again changed by the death of Mr. Davis, whose interest was purchased by Mr. Leinbach. Two years later the firm was enlarged by taking in three of Mr. Leinbach's brothers, Daniel, Albert and Mahlon, and in 1893 was inaugurated the policy of giving an interest in the business to certain of the older employes, who had been in the factory from twenty to thirty years. This is the only enterprise in Reading in which the hands have been permitted to share in the profits, and the benefits resulting from this generosity of the employers have been mutual. The only surviving members of the old firm are Mr. Leinbach and his three brothers, and the former has carried less of the responsibility for the last few years, as in 1903 the business was incorporated with Mr. Leinbach as president; A. E. Leinbach, vice-president; and S. W. Reiff, secretary and treasurer.

When the firm was organized in 1875 additional ground was purchased, improvements made in the plant, and new machinery introduced. Liberality in these respects has always marked the management of the factory, and it has been maintained constantly at a high level of equipment. In 1903 an addition 50x120 feet, four stories in height, was erected. More than two hundred hands are now required in the operation. The manufacture of jeans has been discontinued since 1880, and the product is now entirely woolen and union goods. The volume of business has steadily increased, and the goods, having a superior reputation, are sold all over the United States, after being manufactured into pants and vests. Much of the success achieved is due to the efforts of Mr. J. G. Leinbach and his able assistants, whose progressive spirit, enterprise and liberal policy have ever been apparent in the conduct of the business.

Mr. Leinbach's other interests are large and varied; among them may be mentioned the Mt. Penn Gravity Railroad company, of which he has been president since 1897, and the East Reading Railroad, of which he is vice-president. He is a director of the Second National Bank, and one of the organizers and directors of the Reading Cold Storage Company. He is one of Reading's prominent citizens, not only because of his own large business interests, but also because of his public spirit and liberal attitude toward all good causes. For eleven years he served in the common and select councils, and in 1897 was a candidate for mayor. Although the city of Reading was normally Democratic at that time by over six hundred, Mr. Leinbach lost by the small margin of 163 votes -a remarkable demonstration of popularity. Both he and his wife are members and liberal supporters of the Reformed Church.

In 1865 Mr. Leinbach married Amanda E. Burkhart, daughter of John W. Burkhart, and to this union was born one son, Frederick who died in childhood.


LEINBACH, JOSEPH L.

p. 1519

Surnames: LEINBACH, LORD, STITZEL, HAGEY, SUMMONS, UNGER, CHRIST, REBER

Joseph L. Leinbach, one of Reading's good, reliable citizens and enterprising business men, who is carrying on a thriving plumbing and steam-heating business at No. 420 North Sixth street, was born in Fleetwood, Pa., Nov. 2, 1877, son of Jonas L. and Harriet (Lord) Leinbach.

As Joseph L. Leinbach was but ten years of age when his father died, he knows little about the latter, except that he was employed in the passenger department shops of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad, and that later he engaged at farming on one of Judge Stitzel's farms at Fleetwood. Jonas L. Leinbach died aged seventy-two years, and his wife when sixty-two years old, their children being: Jonas; Henry; Joseph; Minnie; Nora; Lillie; Alice and Laura. The parents of these children were Lutherans in their religious belief, and Mr. Leinbach was a Democrat.

Joseph L. Leinbach received his literary training in the schools of Fleetwood, and when twelve years of age came to Reading, here finding employment in the polishing and plating department of the National Brass Works. Afterward he was employed by Leinbach & Bros., clothiers. He later apprenticed himself to learn the plumbing trade with G. A. Hagey, at No. 40 North Sixth street, and after completing his term of apprenticeship worked four years as a journeyman. He was later engaged with E. S. Summons and in 1904 he went to Lebanon, Pa., taking charge of George C. Unger's plumbing and steam-fitting establishment until 1905, when he returned to Reading and engaged in business on his own account at No. 428 North Sixth street, remaining there about eight months. He then removed to his present location, No. 420, where can be found a complete line of goods. He employs four men the year around and during the busy season is compelled to employ extra workmen. Mr. Leinbach makes a specialty of jobbing and repairing and guarantees satisfaction in every case.

In 1899 Mr. Leinbach married Mary E. Christ, daughter of Jonathan and Isabella (Reber) Christ, and to this union there have been born three children: Forest, Clarence and Paul. In religious belief Mr. Leinbach and his wife are members of the Reformed Church. He is fraternally identified with the Eagles, I. O. R. M. and the P. O. S. of A.


LEINBACH, LLEWELLYN

p. 1262

Surnames: LEINBACH, ERMENTROUT, GLASE, HINNERSHITZ, HAINS, MARQUETTE, RHOADS, WEIDER, GRIESEMER

Llewellyn Leinbach, former teacher and merchant, and present successful farmer near Oley Line, in Oley township, was born Jan. 13, 1848, son of John and Luisa Leinbach. He assisted on the home farm and attended the district schools in his boyhood. He pursued his higher education in Freeland Seminary, now Ursinus College, at Collegeville, and he was licensed to teach by Prof. John S. Ermentrout, then county superintendent. In 1869 he taught his first term in Alsace township, at a salary of twenty dollars per month, the term consisting of four months. He taught in all four terms, two in Alsace and two in Exeter, and then began his mercantile experience as a clerk in the general store of B. A. Glase, at Friedensburg, where he remained two years. He then came to Oley Line, and associated with O. H. Hinnershitz, engaged in the general merchandise business, and at the same time conducted the hotel. This partnership continued four years, when, owing to ill health, Mr. Leinbach was obliged to retire, his partner continuing the business. Mr. Leinbach moved to Amity township, and there lived on one farm for seven years, and for twenty-two years he lived on the farm of Mary W. Hains, and has continued as manager of her farm. In 1891 he bought his present home farm near Oley Line, this being the homestead of his father-in-law, Samuel Marquette. The tract consists of eighty-eight acres of good land. Mr. Leinbach devotes considerable time to the raising of truck, which he markets in Pottstown. In politics Mr. Leinbach is a Republican. He and his family all belong to the Reformed Church at Amityville, in which he has been deacon, and an elder since 1888.

In 1874 Mr. Leinbach was married to Eliza A. Marquette, and six children have been born to this union: William J., a carpenter and farmer in Amityville, m. Maud Rhoads; Samuel m. Jennie Weider, and assists on the home farm; Walter is at home; Lottie M. m. George B. Griesemer, a merchant at Spangsville; Sallie, a graduate of the Keystone State Normal School, class of 1907, is a teacher in the public schools; and Paul R. died in 1891 at the age of two and one-half years.


LEINBACH, MAHLON A.

p. 1211

Surnames: LEINBACH, GULDIN, BRUMBACH, ADAM, KOLLER

Mahlon A. Leinbach, now living retired in Reading, is a native of Berks county, born in Bern township April 14, 1840, son of Frederick and Maria (Gouldin) Leinbach. He attended the public schools of Exeter township, and for a few years was employed on the farm. He then entered the woolen mills of William Brumbach, where he was employed for the long period of sixteen years. At the end of that time he went to his brother, J. G. Leinbach, with whom he was engaged until 1904, when he gave up active work. He was an expert mechanic, and for forty-two years was in charge of the weave room. His present home is at No. 311 South Fourth street, Reading.

Mr. Leinbach was married Jan. 13, 1861, to Miss Mary Ellen Adam, daughter of Jacob and Maria (Koller) Adam, and to this union were born seven children, two of whom are still living-A. Ellsworth and Charles E.-and those deceased were: Jacob A., Rosie, Irvin M., Sallie M. and Annie L.

Mr. Leinbach is a consistent member of the Reformed Church. Socially he is identified with Lodge No. 115, B. P. O. E. of Reading, and is very popular among his fellow members. In 1904 Mr. Leinbach and his wife and his brother J. G. Leinbach and his wife, made a tour of the western States, spending some seven weeks in California.


LEINBACH, PETER M.

p. 862

Surnames: LEINBACH, LERCH, KLEISS, RIEHM, HARTMAN, ALTHOUSE, MILLER, GRAUL, KNABB, DECHERT, REBER, VAN REED, LEINBACH, KALBACH, BRUNNER, LUFT

Peter M. Leinbach, one of the most prominent citizens of Bern township, Berks county, was born on the old Leinbach homestead, where he still resides, Oct. 28, 1855, son of William A. Leinbach, and member of an old family of this section of Pennsylvania.

The first know ancestor of the Leinbachs was Henry, of Langen-Weibolt, Wetterau, Germany, who married Barbara Lerch. From this worthy German couple the line to Peter M. is through Johannes Leinbach and Anna Elizabeth Kleiss; Johannes Leinbach, Jr., and Catharine Riehm; John Daniel Leinbach and his third wife, Mary Magdalena Hartman; Christian Leinbach and Susanna Althouse; and William A. and Mary Ann Miller. (The earlier generations are given in detail in the sketch of the Leinbach family elsewhere in this publication.)

John Daniel Leinbach, second son of Johannes, Jr., was born in 1746, and he died in Oley, April 8, 1817. He owned the farm, later the property of Jeremiah Hartman, former county commissioner, who is buried at Spies's Church. John Daniel Leinbach was married three times. On Nov. 9, 1768, he married Catharine Graul, who died April 6, 1783, the mother of six children: Salome, Maria Sybilla, Susanna, John, John Henry and John Daniel. By his second wife (name not known) he had two children: Abraham and Catharine. In 1789, he married (third) Mary Magdalena Hartman, and their children were: Jacob, Christian, Benjamin, Joseph, William, Samuel, Maria Magdalena, Thomas H., Salome, Frederick, Solomon, Rachel, and Charles.

Christian Leinbach, son of John Daniel, was born Nov. 24, 1791, and he died Oct. 15, 1866. Oley township as his native home, but he came to Bern township and settled at what is now Leinbach's Hotel. He cleared the land and built the first hotel, a building which is still standing and in good condition. This hotel, built in 1848, he ran for a few years in connection with his farm, the latter consisting of about sixty-eight acres. In politics Mr. Leinbach was an old-line Whig. He was singing master at Epler's Church, and taught music. He served as church treasurer many years. During the war of 1812 he served as a soldier, and during the last few years of his life received a pension from the government. He married Susanna Althouse, daughter of Peter Althouse and wife (whose maiden name was Knabb). She was born June 5, 1801, and died Feb. 17, 1871. Their Children were: William A.; Elias A.; Richard A., who living in Wyomissing; Mary, who married Henry Z. Van Reed; Joseph A; George A., who served three years in the Union army in the Civil war.

William A. Leinbach, son of Christian, was born on Aug. 21, 1821, at the old homestead in Bern township. He attended the local schools, and after acquiring a common school education engaged in farming. He became the owner of the old homestead, and he added eighteen acres to the original tract. He was very successful and he had a high reputation for integrity. He died June 11, 1890, in the faith of the Reformed Church, in which he was serving as elder at the time of his death. He had served as a member of the building committee of the church. In politics he was a Republican, and assisted on the election board. He married Mary Ann Miller, daughter of Peter and Rebecca (Luft) Miller, of Sinking Spring. They had two sons: (1) Wellington, born Oct. 20, 1951, and now engaged in the real estate business in Reading, married Emma Kalbach, and has three children -- Paul K., Wayne K. and Mark K.; and (2) Peter M.

Peter M. Leinbach, son of William A., attended the schools of Bern township and Prof. D. B. Brunner's College at Reading. He was licensed to teach by Prof. Brunner in 1872, but never engaged in teaching. He remained with his father until the latter's death, when he bought all his land in Bern township, and also the estate of Elias Leinbach, his uncle, consisting of the well known Leinbach's Hotel, woodland and farm land consisting of fifty acres. He has in all about 140 acres besides the hotel farm, and is among the most progressive farmers of the county. In 1899 he sold off all his stock, and moved to a private residence on the farm which was the home of his father. He has taken a prominent part in a number of enterprises and progressive movements in the county. He is a director and large stock holder of the Crystal Palace Public Market House Company of Reading, Pa. In politics he is a Republican, and for nine years served as school director, during which time he was secretary of the board. At the present time he is a member of the township committee, in which office he has served three years. He belongs to Epler's Reformed Church, in which he is elder and been deacon. In his younger days he took an active part in the Sunday-school, and taught a class of young men -- a duty his son now fulfills.

On March 18, 1880, Mr. Leinbach was married to Mary E. Reber, born Sept. 26, 1854, daughter of Benneville and Ellen (Dechert) Reber, of Bern township, the latter a sister of the late Adam Dechert. To this marriage has come one son, Ammon Reber, born Aug. 4, 1887, who graduated from the Keystone State Normal School, and is now engaged in teaching the Mine Hole school.

Frederick Leinbach, father of Daniel G., was a blacksmith by trade, but owned a farm near Leesport and gave a considerable part of his time to managing that property. Later in life his farming interests were in Exeter township. He died at that second homestead aged fifty-seven years, leaving a widow and children. His wife, whose maiden name was Maria Guldin, lived to the age of sixty. Only five of their family still survive, namely: Daniel and Albert, retired; Mahlon; Jonathan G.; and Mary, widow of James Levan, a resident of Reading.

Daniel G. Leinbach received his education in the schools of his native township and between the terms worked at farming. When he reached the age of seventeen he turned his attention toward blacksmith work and under the instruction of his father became an adept at that trade, following it for six years. He then learned boiler making and after mastering that trade, secured a position in the works of the Philadelphia & Reading Railway Company. The fact that he remained there for thirty-one years, sufficiently attests his efficiency as a worker. On Oct. 18, 1887, he retired from their employ, and for the next eleven years was employed by his brother J. G. Leinbach in the latter's mill. Since 1900, he has given up all active work, owing to advancing years and now lives retired at his home on Pine street. Mr. Leinbach has accumulated a comfortable property and owns considerable real estate, being the possessor of two houses in the First ward, two in the Second and one each in the Tenth and Sixteenth wards.

On Oct. 14, 1849, Mr. Leinbach married Catherine, daughter of John and Catherine (Heckler) Levan, and the following children have been born to them: Mary, m. to Frank Mallon; Ellen, m. to Charles Evans; Martha, m. to Samuel Rolland; Anna E., unmarried, who is her father's housekeeper. Mrs. Leinbach died Nov. 4, 1894, aged sixty-eight years and nine months, and was interred in Aulenbach's cemetery. Mr. Leinbach belongs to several fraternal orders, being a member of Mt. Penn Lodge, I. O. O. F.; of Freedom Circle, Brotherhood of the Union; and of the Rebekah Lodge, I. O. O. F. Religiously he is a member of the German Reformed Church of Reading. In his earlier days, during the war, Mr. Leinbach saw some military service, enlisting in 1862 for three months. His has been an industrious useful life, and he has well earned the freedom from care he now enjoys and the respect of the community which is so freely accorded him.

Last Modified Thursday, 16-Oct-2008 20:55:08 EDT

Previous       Home Page       Index       Next
404 - Error: 404

404

Category not found

The Page you are looking for doesn't exist or an other error occurred. Go back, or head over to Home Page to choose a new direction.

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

  1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
  2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
  3. a mistyped address
  4. you have no access to this page
  5. The requested resource was not found.
  6. An error has occurred while processing your request.